PDA

View Full Version : Some Positive Press For Our Rookies

BowlenBall
09-29-2010, 10:54 AM
On the glass-is-half-full side of the Colts game, check out what the National Football Post had to say about three of our rookies:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Week-3-rookie-report-card.html&team=137

Demaryius Thomas

Demaryius Thomas dropped a TD pass and fumbled this past Sunday.
Thomas broke his foot in the spring and had trouble with it until recently. He did little in training camp and did not play in the season opener, but played a huge role in Denver’s Week 2 win against Seattle with 8 catches and a touchdown. In Sunday’s game he was targeted 6 times and came up with 2 catches for 43 yards. He had a drop in the end zone with about 2 minutes left in the game. A catch would have brought Denver within 7 points.

Thomas is a unique talent, with great size, speed and overall athleticism. In college he played at Georgia Tech, which is not known for its passing game and because of that he is still very raw. While saying that he has the natural talent to be a star, he just needs playing experience. Thomas has very good route quickness, he can make quick cuts and get separation. He has very good ability to adjust to the ball and is a strong and fast runner after the catch. In Sunday’s game, he caught a crossing route in traffic then put a move on the defender to get a first down. He also had a good move on a catch in the red zone earlier in the game but then fumbled the ball. For the game, because of the drop and fumble, I can’t grade him better than a C+. But Thomas will be a big playmaker for the Broncos before the year is out.

Zane Beadles

Beadles starts at right tackle. They drafted him to play guard but when Ryan Harris got hurt, Beadles was moved over to tackle. He has adequate size and good ability to bend. As much as Denver throws the ball, the tackles have to be able to pass block and I was impressed with what Beadles did in this game. Denver dropped back to pass almost 60 times in the game and Beadles gave up 1 sack and a pressure. He was going against Robert Mathis, who doesn’t have great size but is an outstanding speed rusher. Beadles more than held his own. He has quick hands, good hand placement and anchors well. He still needs to improve with his run blocking. He is very tenacious but lacks the bulk and power to get consistent movement with his run blocks. He does a good job getting to the second level.

Overall, this was a good game; he deserves a solid B+. When he improves his run blocking this will be a winning player for the Broncos.

J.D. Walton

Walton was the Broncos third-round pick after an outstanding career at Baylor. Though he does not possess great size, he is smart, strong and can really use his hands. He has great snap quickness and gets to his blocks very quickly. He is not an overpowering guy but he is very competitive. He tries to keep good position and always looks to finish. He is a very alert player who looks to help out and does a good job adjusting to stunts and blitzes. On the negative side he was called twice for holding. On both plays he did not keep good position on his opponent. While he usually has good hand use, he did not on those two plays. He also missed a block near the goal line and his man made the stop. While saying that, I like his overall play. He gets a B for the game but this player will be a top center in the league for years to come. He reminds me some of Olin Kruetz, the great center with the Bears.

Kaylore
09-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for this.

OBF1
09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
I approve this post :thumbs:

The MVPlaya
09-29-2010, 11:39 AM
No. You are not allowed to praise anyone that is in the McDaniels era that was NOT in the Shanahan era.

Negative rep.

Rock Chalk
09-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Why is this only offense? Cox gets a lot of playing time too, he just plays defense and correct me if Im wrong but he WAS drafted this year wasnt he?

The MVPlaya
09-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Why is this only offense? Cox gets a lot of playing time too, he just plays defense and correct me if Im wrong but he WAS drafted this year wasnt he?

by NFL standards,

Offense > defense

Rock Chalk
09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I guess Im in the minority that would rather see a hard nosed, hard hitting kick your face in the dirt defense than an explosive offense. Smith and Atwater spoiled me.

Popps
09-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Very cool.

I wonder if Beadles could play himself into a starting gig permanently at RT if Harris keeps up his routine?

Or, is he much better suited inside?

Miss I.
09-29-2010, 11:48 AM

Maybe he was worried Shaun Smith would read it and put the moves on Cox. ;D

broncocalijohn
09-29-2010, 11:53 AM

we already know of Cox's report and grade. Care to guess?

Br0nc0Buster
09-29-2010, 12:01 PM
seems more optimistic about Walton that I am
I liked the pick but I thought he struggled against Indy

Ray Finkle
09-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Very cool.

I wonder if Beadles could play himself into a starting gig permanently at RT if Harris keeps up his routine?

I think he is an ideal OG. I really think they moved him to OT during the preseason with the idea that he would be needed there for some time this year and to get his feet wet. I liked Stanley as a back up OG but believe Beadles should be the starter.

Shoemaker
09-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Very cool.

Well, the main school of thought on draft day was that Beadles is much better suited to play guard at the NFL level, because his arms are too short to profile him as a prototypical tackle.

However, he played LT at Utah, so he has experience with the position. Given that and his massive improvement over the last two games, I'm more than happy to give Beadles an extended look at the position if Harris' health issues continue.

That said, I'd much rather he play inside, because I think a Clady-Beadles-Walton-Kuper-Harris line, with their youth and size, could be beastly for years to come.

snowspot66
09-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Why are they still calling our linemen small? They're all at or well above 300 pounds.

Rohirrim
09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I wish more Broncos fans would see what is happening right in front of them. Right now, we have the seeds of a dominating Oline and what could, in all honesty, turn out to be a legendary receiver corps. When the running game gets added plus a few pieces on the Dline, this team is going to shake the NFL.

Rohirrim
09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Why are they still calling our linemen small? They're all at or well above 300 pounds.

Habit.

Ray Finkle
09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
I wish more Broncos fans would see what is happening right in front of them. Right now, we have the seeds of a dominating Oline and what could, in all honesty, turn out to be a legendary receiver corps. When the running game gets added plus a few pieces on the Dline, this team is going to shake the NFL.

But McDaniel's doesn't know what he is doing!!!!!!

SonOfLe-loLang
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Demaryius drop in the endzone? Tough crowd! haha yeah, he might have been able to come up with that, but it was hardly an easy catch

Rohirrim
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
But McDaniel's doesn't know what he is doing!!!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if, in twenty years, people are talking about McDaniels the way people talk now about Bill Walsh. People made fun of Joe Montana for being a dink and dunker too, but he couldn't hear them because of all the noise his three SB MVP awards and four SB rings made.

Ray Finkle
09-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if, in twenty years, people are talking about McDaniels the way people talk now about Bill Walsh. People made fun of Joe Montana for being a dink and dunker too, but he couldn't hear them because of all the noise his three SB MVP awards and four SB rings made.

the coach in me loves McDaniel's style. However, it is difficult to change a culture and it takes people buying and giving it time. You are going to make mistakes but you need to stay the course. You show me a GM/HC that nails all their draft picks/moves and I'll show you a liar.

Swedish Extrovert
09-29-2010, 12:48 PM

I was a little confused at that myself.

While Walton isn't HUGE, he is certainly at least average for an NFL center, and much larger than what the Broncos are used to at center.

Swedish Extrovert
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
So curiosoty got the best of me. JD Waltons's draft measurables had him at 6'2" 305...

So I wen't on Madden and looked up all the NFL's 32 starting centers... at 305, JD Walton is tied with about four other players as the 9th largest starting center in the league.

The mode for an NFL center is 300, and the range for starters is 285-326, meaning the mode is slighty above the average, with a differential of -15 to +26. Only two centers are over 320, and only three centers are over 310. The overall standard deviation of 2.6lbs, (but if you reduce the range to 290-305, where over half the league lies, the deviation drops to .94)

The median weight is also 300, in a league of 32 starting centers... Walton is ranked 9th at 305, meaning by every definition, he has an above average weight for an NFL starting offensive center.

^ This is the political science way of saying "In terms of size, Walton is an above-average center."

Good lord have I been reading too much statistical policy analysis in my classes these days.

cmhargrove
09-29-2010, 02:29 PM

This was the wrong game to judge him on. It's a tough draw playing against Peyton on your first NFL start at Corner. Cox should be fine, but his play also directly cost us the game.

Cox will be fine, put this game in the past and learn from it.

Rabb
09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I actually like that Cox was thrown in against Manning his first game, seriously...the rest will seem like a cake walk

_Oro_
09-29-2010, 02:31 PM
This was the wrong game to judge him on. It's a tough draw playing against Peyton on your first NFL start at Corner. Cox should be fine, but his play also directly cost us the game.

Cox will be fine, put this game in the past and learn from it.

This is blatantly not true. The defense held up their end of the bargain in this game. It was the offense who cost us the game.

Broncos_OTM
09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
No. You are not allowed to praise anyone that is in the McDaniels era that was NOT in the Shanahan era.

Negative rep.

Dude you sound like a chick. Can't let **** go.

ZachKC
09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

Heh, and its Chiefs fans who everyone is saying needs a reality check.

Champagne Powder
09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

Negative rep.

This thread was very enjoyable until you took a dump on it.

HooptyHoops
09-29-2010, 03:16 PM

This post fired me up!!

The MVPlaya
09-29-2010, 03:30 PM

can't let **** go? meaning **** that's being talked about RIGHT NOW? LOL

Chris
09-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Because they're stuck in 2008 and we need a time machine to get them out.

Quick!

http://pinoytutorial.com/lifebytes/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hot-tub-time-machine.jpg

Hamrob
09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I wish more Broncos fans would see what is happening right in front of them. Right now, we have the seeds of a dominating Oline and what could, in all honesty, turn out to be a legendary receiver corps. When the running game gets added plus a few pieces on the Dline, this team is going to shake the NFL.Are you talking about the 2008 offense...boy, that team also had a top notch Oline. That sure was an offense with alot of potential.

Hamrob
09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if, in twenty years, people are talking about McDaniels the way people talk now about Bill Walsh. People made fun of Joe Montana for being a dink and dunker too, but he couldn't hear them because of all the noise his three SB MVP awards and four SB rings made.Or...what was that guys name who used to coach the Raiders and now coaches at USC...that fits McD to the T.

Really though, comparing McD to a HOF coach is assinine. Personally, I think Thomas has a chance to break all of Jerry Rice's records. The liklihood is probably about the same that either of these pipe dreams come true.

Chris
09-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Are you talking about the 2008 offense...boy, that team also had a top notch Oline. That sure was an offense with alot of potential.

Dude it's cool I'm warming up the tub to bring you to 2010.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/85791986.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=EDF6F2F4F969CEBDFCB213072859FCB30D6FB28512C04AE2 D9FC831F938F8A7A

I appreciate you are talking to us because it's like that movie with Dennis Quaid. Time travel rocks.

baja
09-29-2010, 05:23 PM

It amazes me that some of our astute regular posters do not see this coming and it further amazes me that some of them think that the team has gone backwards. After watching the last three games of 07 & 08 how can they not see the fail of your beloved Shanny and how can they not see the brewing dynasty now happening in Dove Valley.

I am not surprised many of the the newer posters are clueless about this team but the old Mainers ???

Chris
09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Brewing dynasty might be a bit extreme until we have a few more pieces... but I think we're on our way to being an elite team. Where Tebow fits into this if Orton keeps improving... I'm not sure... but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

TonyR
09-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Are you talking about the 2008 offense...boy, that team also had a top notch Oline.

Longing for the days of Wiegmann and Hamilton getting routinely blown up into the backfield, are we?

Dagmar
09-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Well, this was an enjoyable thread for a whole page until the usual suspects pulled down their pants and curled a collective log all over it.

misturanderson
09-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Longing for the days of Wiegmann and Hamilton getting routinely blown up into the backfield, are we?

To be fair that was way more a 2009 occurrence than a 2008 one. Those guys played about as well as they were capable in 2008. Especially Weigman.

Dagmar
09-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Seriously, Hillis thread = 13 pages. Positive thread about our rookies? 2 pages.

Jhns = absent.

The people here sometimes...http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l95/Kaijed/Fail.gif

driver
09-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Well, the main school of thought on draft day was that Beadles is much better suited to play guard at the NFL level, because his arms are too short to profile him as a prototypical tackle.

However, he played LT at Utah, so he has experience with the position. Given that and his massive improvement over the last two games, I'm more than happy to give Beadles an extended look at the position if Harris' health issues continue.

That said, I'd much rather he play inside, because I think a Clady-Beadles-Walton-Kuper-Harris line, with their youth and size, could be beastly for years to come.

Absolutely right that is the first prerequisite for a good team.

TonyR
09-29-2010, 07:29 PM
To be fair that was way more a 2009 occurrence than a 2008 one. Those guys played about as well as they were capable in 2008. Especially Weigman.

Yes, agree. But my point was more to address that he was talking about an offense with a lot of potential in '08. We see with perfect hindsight that an O-line with those two players didn't have potential unlike the young players we have manning those positions now.

driver
09-29-2010, 07:39 PM

Man thats how they always win and make us say things we end up regretting.

Hamrob
09-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Longing for the days of Wiegmann and Hamilton getting routinely blown up into the backfield, are we?No, longing for days of the 5yds a carry.

You wouldn't know anything about that...you're clearly in support of 2.5 yds a carry and a punt!

~Crash~
09-30-2010, 09:05 AM
we already know of Cox's report and grade. Care to guess?

do we ? he was going up against a QB that can rape anyone going one on one with WR's. Ha!

~Crash~
09-30-2010, 09:08 AM

SHHHH he does this 10 time a day his post count is starting to be:afro:

~Crash~
09-30-2010, 09:20 AM
No, longing for days of the 5yds a carry.

You wouldn't know anything about that...you're clearly in support of 2.5 yds a carry and a punt!

well here is the deal we do have a young team with that there are growing pains .. I still think our OL will figure it out late in the season . thing is we need Harris back because kuper and Harris was a big reason last year for Cbuck looking so good early .

Dedhed
09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
and a punt!

Only 6 teams have fewer punts than the Broncos.

fontaine
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
McDaniels and the FO deserve a huge amount of credit for the draft this year.

Walton, Beadles, Cox and Thomas already look like long term fixtures here.

Hopefully they can work the same magic for the DL in the next draft.

bendog
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
yeah, I think Walton and Beadles can both add ten pounds. Good move on the interior line. The previous draft and the oline is still mystefying. I wouldn't mentin McDaniels with Walsh yet though, since even Billicheat is not that company.

randomtask
09-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Walton's gonna be a multiple pro bowler during his career, Thomas has looked freakishly good, Cox, Squid & Beadles are all very solid, and we haven't yet seen what Tebow can do in a real game.

I'd say this draft went pretty well for the Broncos.