PDA

View Full Version : Bet Bryant Wishes He'd Carried Those Pads

gunns
09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
The bill comes due for Dez Bryant: $54,896 for dinner
By MJD
Back in July, there was a big to-do about Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant(notes) refusing to carry pads for fellow wide receiver Roy Williams. It's tradition in the NFL that rookies perform menial chores for veteran teammates, so Bryant's refusal drew some attention and criticism.

The mini-controversy blew over quickly. Bryant apologized, Williams accepted and everyone moved on. Williams did mention, though, that Bryant would have to pick up a dinner tab, and at the instant that Bryant refused the pad-carrying, Williams suddenly got a little hungrier and a little thirstier.

After the Cowboys beat the Texans, it was finally time for that dinner. The end result? Bryant probably wishes he'd have carried those pads. From Calvin Watkins at ESPN:

Monday night at Pappas Bros. Steakhouse, Bryant took the offensive players out, then Williams invited the defensive players and when the night was over the bill came: $54,896.

"They got the young fella," said Bryant's adviser David Wells. "What could he say? He had to pay it unless he wanted to wash dishes for a month."

Players ordered basically everything on the menu and even took home bottles of wine.

Well played, Roy Williams. Not only was it a nice touch to invite the defense, but to also wait until everyone was in a celebratory and festive mood? That's a veteran move.

Even when you factor in the number of players who attended, it still comes out to a ridiculous amount of money spent on food and drink for each person. Active game-day rosters include 45 people. Figure that some people probably skipped the festivities, and some coaches and other personnel might have been there, and we'll guess it was around 50 people. That's still well over $1,000 per person.

Revenge must have been delicious.

Dagmar
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2qx3kvm.jpg

Dukes
09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Surprised he didn't refuse, and just tell all the guys he's just there to play football.

hookemhess
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Weak. Could have gone to charity.

RhymesayersDU
09-28-2010, 09:56 PM

While I agree, this is a pretty common occurrence, in all sports.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
That's nothing out of the ordinary, every NHL team does that to their rookies.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
He's already pissed away a lot of his money.

liljd307
09-28-2010, 10:08 PM
How about the tip that waiter probably got?

Zoobie
09-28-2010, 10:19 PM
He's already pissed away a lot of his money.

How do you know?

Blueflame
09-28-2010, 11:00 PM
How do you know?

Maybe because he lives in Dallas? ???

Broncobiv
09-28-2010, 11:07 PM

Seriously...can you imagine the money signs flashing through the staff's heads as the entire Cowboys roster walked through the front door?!?

STBumpkin
09-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Funny they had to wait until week three to get a victory, then only a marginal one.

Broncobiv
09-28-2010, 11:14 PM

::)

Riiiight. I'm sure we should look down upon every multi-millionaire that decides to spend some of their money as if they were, well, multi-millionaires. How DARE a professional athlete go out and blow $1,000 on a nice dinner for themself now and then! That they don't go to Applebee's for every meal out, keep their dinner bill under $20, and then give the remaining $980 to charity is SHAMEFUL! A TRAVESTY I SAY!

Yes, how "weak" indeed!

hookemhess
09-28-2010, 11:53 PM

Riiiight. I'm sure we should look down upon every multi-millionaire that decides to spend some of their money as if they were, well, multi-millionaires. How DARE a professional athlete go out and blow $1,000 on a nice dinner for themself now and then! That they don't go to Applebee's for every meal out, keep their dinner bill under $20, and then give the remaining $980 to charity is SHAMEFUL! A TRAVESTY I SAY!

Yes, how "weak" indeed!

Take it easy -- I didn't say all that. Simply $55k is steep and could have been spent elsewhere (better for PR).

Broncobiv
09-29-2010, 12:22 AM
Take it easy -- I didn't say all that. Simply $55k is steep and could have been spent elsewhere (better for PR).

I understand. Of course $55K is a ridiculous amount for dinner for you and 49 of your closest friends. But that's the point. It's rookie "hazing". I don't think the proper message would have been sent if, instead of forcing Dez to treat the whole team to dinner, every Cowboys player instead made him write a check for $1,000 for each of them to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Dallas.

It's hazing. It sends a message. You pay for my (ridiculous, over-the-top) dinner, because you're the star rookie. Sure, charity would have been a wonderful gesture. But it wasn't appropriate in this setting. Positive PR certainly wasn't tops on the players' minds when they devised this little plan. And there's nothing wrong with that, either. It's just a silly little story that mainstream America can read about and laugh at.

Zoobie
09-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Maybe because he lives in Dallas? ???

So, is he Dez's accountant or what?

footstepsfrom#27
09-29-2010, 12:42 AM
He probably flipped her a $20.

oubronco
09-29-2010, 07:13 AM

I'm sure she got a lot of tips she'll probably be sore for a month

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-29-2010, 07:37 AM
So, is he Dez's accountant or what?

Maybe. That and my line of work comes with a few perks and advantages.

Beantown Bronco
09-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm sure she got a lot of tips she'll probably be sore for a month

Josina is a waitress?

Steve Sewell
09-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Josina is a waitress?

It would please me greatly to see a fake Josina tweet describing this event.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-29-2010, 07:50 AM
@JosinaAnderson DAY ATED UP ALL DA FUD! DERE WUZ SO MUCH FUD! MCD IS TAARING DIS TEAM APART! LOLSMOAMSOFLOMOA!

hookemhess
09-29-2010, 08:23 AM
I understand. Of course $55K is a ridiculous amount for dinner for you and 49 of your closest friends. But that's the point. It's rookie "hazing". I don't think the proper message would have been sent if, instead of forcing Dez to treat the whole team to dinner, every Cowboys player instead made him write a check for $1,000 for each of them to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Dallas.

It's hazing. It sends a message. You pay for my (ridiculous, over-the-top) dinner, because you're the star rookie. Sure, charity would have been a wonderful gesture. But it wasn't appropriate in this setting. Positive PR certainly wasn't tops on the players' minds when they devised this little plan. And there's nothing wrong with that, either. It's just a silly little story that mainstream America can read about and laugh at.

Hence, my 6 word response to said "silly little story" versus your 2 page analysis of my 6 word response.

Dedhed
09-29-2010, 09:57 AM

*18% gratuity will be added for parties of 6 or more

Common disclaimer at any restaurant. The staff divvied up $10k. I would have taken that any night when I was working at restaurants in college.

HILife
09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2qx3kvm.jpg

lmao!!

HILife
09-29-2010, 10:46 AM

that would hilarious.

Beantown Bronco
09-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Honest question: this kind of stuff happens to rookies all the time, not necessarily in this denomination, but still well into the thousands of dollars. What if they are "normal" guys like Orton, Plummer, Eddie Mac, etc that don't do the crazy "I'm rich" thing and only have normal credit cards with normal limits. How in the hell would they really pay for that dinner?

Zoobie
09-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Maybe. That and my line of work comes with a few perks and advantages.

So, are you a care salesman?

worm
09-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Honest question: this kind of stuff happens to rookies all the time, not necessarily in this denomination, but still well into the thousands of dollars. What if they are "normal" guys like Orton, Plummer, Eddie Mac, etc that don't do the crazy "I'm rich" thing and only have normal credit cards with normal limits. How in the hell would they really pay for that dinner?

Amex. Don't leave home without it.