PDA

View Full Version : Chargers losing bodies - Merriman, English and Vasquez

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ae745c/article/chargers-lb-english-has-foot-surgery-vasquez-avoids-procedure

Coming off a tough loss at Seattle, the Chargers were hit with more bad news Tuesday afternoon: Outside linebacker Larry English had foot surgery and will miss an undetermined amount of time, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

English, who was inactive for the 27-20 loss to the Seahawks, has had problems with the foot since training camp. English won't be placed on injured reserve, but his procedure further depletes a position that also lost Shawne Merriman to a calf injury Sunday.

The news was better for the offense. Starting right guard Louis Vasquez won't need knee surgery but is expected to miss a minimum of two games, the Union-Tribune reported.

The Chargers also could have rookie running back Ryan Mathews back for Sunday's game against the visiting Arizona Cardinals. Mathews emerged pain free Monday from his most extensive workout since sustaining an ankle injury. Mathews was inactive for the loss at Seattle.

"They let me get after it today," Mathews said. "It didn't hurt. I felt like my normal self."

Vasquez, who has a sprained medial collateral ligament, was injured during the first quarter Sunday. Tyronne Green replaced Vasquez and likely will start this Sunday against the Cardinals.

The Chargers also re-signed safety Quinton Teal, who was waived at the final cutdown earlier this month.

Dagmar
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
They are fortunate to be going up against a bloody awful team on Sunday!

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-28-2010, 02:29 PM
The Seahawks again?

boltaneer
09-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Injuries are hitting big time early in the season, just like last year.

SoDak Bronco
09-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Did u hear they are on their 4th LS? Check that thread out for jaw dropping info!!

gtown
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
And that D was suspect to begin with.

boltaneer
09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Actually the D is playing very good right now.

(Of course it helps if the opposing offense never gets the ball because they keep returning kickoffs)

Zoobie
09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Actually the D is playing very good right now.

(Of course it helps if the opposing offense never gets the ball because they keep returning kickoffs)

Please don't pretend like your defense is good.

boltaneer
09-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Please don't pretend like your defense is good.

If you've seen my posts, I really haven't.

But I will say that though they've been playing against crap offenses so far, they've been the strength of the team so far, especially considering the bad field positions they've been working with.

Take away all the return TDs the special teams have given up and the defense is allowing something like 13 pts a game.

I know they're not going to continue to play like this all season, especially when they start facing some real offenses but to shoot you down for the moment, you are wrong. They are playing well right now.

PRBronco
09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
If you've seen my posts, I really haven't.

But I will say that though they've been playing against crap offenses so far, they've been the strength of the team so far, especially considering the bad field positions they've been working with.

Take away all the return TDs the special teams have given up and the defense is allowing something like 13 pts a game.

I know they're not going to continue to play like this all season, especially when they start facing some real offenses but to shoot you down for the moment, you are wrong. They are playing well right now.

That may be more of a testament to the suck of the Chiefs, Jags and Seahawks, I wouldn't get too excited :-/

boltaneer
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
That may be more of a testament to the suck of the Chiefs, Jags and Seahawks, I wouldn't get too excited :-/

Do people ever read through the entire post anymore?

broncocalijohn
09-29-2010, 02:21 AM
Time for the steroids and other drugs being peddled to make a return.

LRtagger
09-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Ayers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> English

Moreno >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matthews

TonyR
09-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Moreno >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matthews

Far too early to say such things but it is interesting that Matthews' career has gotten off to a much slower start than expected, much like Moreno's...