PDA

View Full Version : Orton hints after the game that DT was running wrong routes

bronco0608
09-27-2010, 02:36 PM
from what I can gather, Orton's INT was on Demaryius Thomas. The commentators in the game said that it looked like someone ran a wrong route because two receivers were in the same spot.

Also, Orton hinted at after the game:

"They play tough coverage that is hard to throw the ball against down there and we just did not execute.
"Everything has to happen so fast. Everybody has to be on the same page and just a few plays we weren't."

So Demaryius Thomas cost us in that game. Maybe Mcdaniels extended his route tree too quickly.

TonyR
09-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Not surprising for a young player to make mistakes. Kudos to Orton for using the word "we" as opposed to calling others out.

oubronco
09-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Orton was throwing to Royal and underthrew it that's it unless it was Thomas's DB who cuaght it

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Are we talking about the interception? It's hard to tell who folded on that one. Looked like both guys blew it.

Florida_Bronco
09-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Orton was throwing to Royal and underthrew it that's it unless it was Thomas's DB who cuaght it

I'm pretty sure there was a mix up on the route there.

chex
09-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I think the Lloyd play on 4th & 3 is another.

Orton threw the ball by the marker and Lloyd was in the endzone. I would think the play was a quick strike for the 1st down, and get four shots to get 7.

It's how it appeared at least to me anyway.

mkporter
09-27-2010, 02:42 PM

I think it was Thomas' DB who jumped the route.

Beantown Bronco
09-27-2010, 02:42 PM

It was Thomas's DB who got it. Thomas was supposed to go deep and bring his DB with him, well out of the area of the play. And then that ball would've gone right to Royal, who had his man beat.

tsiguy96
09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
young guy who missed most of TC makes a mistake....surprised?

still a beast!

elsid13
09-27-2010, 02:45 PM
It was Thomas's DB who got it. Thomas was supposed to go deep and bring his DB with him, well out of the area of the play. And then that ball would've gone right to Royal, who had his man beat.

Thomas might have messed up and kept his defender in wrong area, but that was bad throw by Orton too. There was a lot of mistakes on that play.

Tombstone RJ
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Who cares? Orton has got to know when not to throw the ball. If it's all about timing then there's gonna be a lot more INTs with D.Thomas running the wrong routes. I still think Orton is going to be limited if we can't run the friggen ball effectively.

Orton is much better than last year but still... run the motherfuggen ball once in a while and keep the motherfuggen defenses at least thinking about the run game. Throw the ball enough times and there's gonna be turnovers, guaranteed.

bowtown
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM

Orton threw the ball by the marker and Lloyd was in the endzone. I would think the play was a quick strike for the 1st down, and get four shots to get 7.

That was also a truly terrible pass by Orton. Even if Lloyd had been at the marker, the ball would have hit the turf 6 feet in front of him.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-27-2010, 02:51 PM

I felt the exact same way on that play. That's the type of play where both the QB and the WR have to make the read at the line, and they have to see the same thing and execute. Orton saw the out, Lloyd saw the fade.

Not sure if they're not communicating or what, but it looked (and felt) awful.

Mogulseeker
09-27-2010, 02:54 PM

They were both probably option routes that the receiver and the QB read differently.

ColoradoDarin
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Lloyd needed to check to the hot route like Orton did.

We're a team that can't afford to make mistakes like this against good teams.

gtown
09-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Not sure how many routes he ran wrong. He looked a bit out of place on the INT though. At least he hustled to make the tackle.

Old Dude
09-27-2010, 02:57 PM
You throw the ball 57 times, you're probably going to have a missed route or two, or a bad throw, and give up an INT.

I'm more concerned about the offense in the red zone.

Mogulseeker
09-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Guys, it's impossible to gauge what is a bad pass, and what isn't in game-time. Even an apparently horrible throw, like the one to Lloyd, could have been affected by a number of things - timing routes that were jammed at the line, misread option routes, the QB/receiver not knowing the play.

I'm actually proud of the way the Broncos showed up against the Colts, but it really was rookie mistakes.... made by rookies that cost us. Cox and DT had trouble, but it's very encouraging to watch both of them play.

mkporter
09-27-2010, 02:58 PM
You throw the ball 57 times, you're probably going to have a missed route or two, or a bad throw, and give up an INT.

This.

Beantown Bronco
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Lloyd needed to check to the hot route like Orton did.

Hot Route!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OULR0tTupeg

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Thomas might have messed up and kept his defender in wrong area, but that was bad throw by Orton too. There was a lot of mistakes on that play.

Well as long as we can still blame Orton, I'm in.

/rolleyes

oubronco
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM

The ball hit at the 2 yd line if he was throwing to the marker he was short

Pony Boy
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
My first thought when he threw the int was wow that was not like Orton to make a pure bonehead Cutler throw...... I will fell better if was a busted route.....

Memento
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
I will say this for Thomas... his closing speed on making that tackle was flat-out impressive.

Los Broncos
09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Orton sucks the line was protecting well yesterday.

Los Broncos
09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
I will say this for Thomas... his closing speed on making that tackle was flat-out impressive.

I said the same thing, he closed like a cat on a bird.

Kaylore
09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
This looked like him and receiver being on different pages. Sort of like Lloyd not trimming his route after the all out blitz. :notthissh

Pseudofool
09-27-2010, 03:23 PM
I think he's referring to a couple of different plays. Everytime Orton seemed to throw it quickly to apparently noone, I'm sure there was a wrong-route ran.

Kaylore
09-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I think he's referring to a couple of different plays. Everytime Orton seemed to throw it quickly to apparently noone, I'm sure there was a wrong-route ran.

Exactly. He was incredibly accurate all game, really all year. Blatant misses like that are two guys thinking two different things.

Beantown Bronco
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
The ball hit at the 2 yd line if he was throwing to the marker he was short

No. The first down marker, not the EZ marker.

GreatBronco16
09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
So Demaryius Thomas cost us in that game.

Oh for ****s sake. Dey did not cost us that game. The team as a whole couldn't get their **** together long enough to put up some TDs on the 4 trips to the redzone they had.

Rohirrim
09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't really care about DT's growing pains. The kid has two of the most incredible hands I've ever seen. And the size and speed to go with them. Did you see him bring in that pass across the middle? Orton burned it in head high and the ball stops in DT's hands like it hit two sponges. I was blown away.

Beantown Bronco
09-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't really care about DT's growing pains. The kid has two of the most incredible hands I've ever seen. And the size and speed to go with them. Did you see him bring in that pass across the middle? Orton burned it in head high and the ball stops in DT's hands like it hit two sponges. I was blown away.

Agreed - that was awesome.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-27-2010, 03:35 PM

I agree.

I have to wonder how we would have done had we kept DT out until this week against Indy. I know this will be hard for some (tsi) to believe, but not having film on a guy makes it harder to... wait for it... study how to stop him.

broncosteven
09-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Not a big deal, I am more pissed that they turned the ball over on downs 3 times rather than one play where a rookie made a rookie mistake.

55CrushEm
09-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm just hoping that there are no torn ligaments in his wrist......no broken wrist is good.....but how about the FULL diagnosis.

halfcreek
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM
from what I can gather, Orton's INT was on Demaryius Thomas. The commentators in the game said that it looked like someone ran a wrong route because two receivers were in the same spot.

Also, Orton hinted at after the game:

"They play tough coverage that is hard to throw the ball against down there and we just did not execute.
"Everything has to happen so fast. Everybody has to be on the same page and just a few plays we weren't."

So Demaryius Thomas cost us in that game. Maybe Mcdaniels extended his route tree too quickly.

As I said, right after it happened. Got into a vigorous discussion with my son that DT ran the wrong route. Came to the Mane for verification and finding none posted my opinion.

halfcreek
09-27-2010, 03:39 PM

It was DT's DB.

DenverBrit
09-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Are we talking about the interception? It's hard to tell who folded on that one. Looked like both guys blew it.

That's what it looked like. Thomas appeared to have cut his route short leaving him and his defender in the area where the ball was going......to Royal I believe.

Edit: I see many have already made the same point.

Beantown Bronco
09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
As I said, right after it happened. Got into a vigorous discussion with my son that DT ran the wrong route. Came to the Mane for verification and finding none posted my opinion.

At least two of us came to this conclusion in the official game thread after it happened.

eddie mac
09-27-2010, 04:10 PM

He shouldn't have to throw the ball 57 times especially in a game that was pretty close throughout. The lack of even a decent running game will kill this offense.

go_broncos
09-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Who cares? Orton has got to know when not to throw the ball. If it's all about timing then there's gonna be a lot more INTs with D.Thomas running the wrong routes. I still think Orton is going to be limited if we can't run the friggen ball effectively.

Orton is much better than last year but still... run the motherfuggen ball once in a while and keep the motherfuggen defenses at least thinking about the run game. Throw the ball enough times and there's gonna be turnovers, guaranteed.

Good Post..Even manning will have interceptions if he starts throwing the ball 50 times.
For a team to win games on a consistant basis, we need to run the ball effectively.
In our case, we just keep throwing the ball.
I believe we ran only 10-15 yards in second half.
This has been the problem since Mcd arrived.
He just doesn't have patience.If running game doesn't click initially, he just abandons it.
Also, need to involve TE's in passing game.
Until then, we keep losing games to average teams like KC,WAS,OAK,Jags.

go_broncos
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
We are last(rushing 2.5 YDS/A) in the league.
It's pathetic.
You can't win games with this stat.
When Mcd got hired, he told that he will fix our RZ struggles.
Unfortunately, we are having some problems every week.

Broncoman13
09-27-2010, 04:44 PM

Check play b/c of the blitz that was coming. Lloyd has to recognize the blitz and break his route shorter so that the QB can get it off.

WolfpackGuy
09-27-2010, 04:49 PM
The fade to DT that damn near went into the parking lot on the first failed goalline drive was worse than the INT or later missed pass to Lloyd.

On the INT, Royal wasn't even turned around, and I'm pretty sure DT's guy picked it off.

Looked like DT read cut OUT and Orton read cut IN.

halfcreek
09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
At least two of us came to this conclusion in the official game thread after it happened.

Yeah, Beantown, I appreciated your affirmation and that sealed it for my son.:approve:

Dedhed
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
It was DTs corner on the INT. Someone definitely ran the wrong route on that play.

And Orton did not underthrow it at all.

gyldenlove
09-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Really, he was out almost all offseason with injury, it is his 2nd game having missed the entire preseason, it is not even remotely realistic to expect him to run every play flawlessly when none of our more experienced players could do so last year.

Thomas has a boatload of promise, he is fast, huge, great hands and with more time in the system he will be a monster.

The MVPlaya
09-27-2010, 07:12 PM
McDaniels said that the Colts did a good job in disguising their coverage on that play, and Orton had read the Safety (correctly) but they disguised their coverage.

These are facts.

There is really no reason to point fingers at DT, Orton, or Royal because we simply don't know the play. It looks like DT could have extended his route but you have to take into consideration Hayden's coverage. If his coverage was to stay at home where he was, then it really wouldn't have made a difference unless DT drew some contact to slow him down.

Enough with the armchair coaching.

Dedhed
09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
McDaniels said that the Colts did a good job in disguising their coverage on that play, and Orton had read the Safety (correctly) but they disguised their coverage.

These are facts.

There is really no reason to point fingers at DT, Orton, or Royal because we simply don't know the play. It looks like DT could have extended his route but you have to take into consideration Hayden's coverage. If his coverage was to stay at home where he was, then it really wouldn't have made a difference unless DT drew some contact to slow him down.

Enough with the armchair coaching.You rarely in the NFL see two WRs finish their routes within 2 yards of one another, and the result of that play speaks to why.

It's either a terrible design, or someone was on the wrong page.

I'd guess the latter.

Popps
09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
This looked like him and receiver being on different pages. Sort of like Lloyd not trimming his route after the all out blitz. :notthissh

This.

Popps
09-27-2010, 07:26 PM
But, if I had to pick which guy on the team knows the routes best... smart money is on guessing Kyle Orton.

Hulamau
09-27-2010, 07:29 PM
That was also a truly terrible pass by Orton. Even if Lloyd had been at the marker, the ball would have hit the turf 6 feet in front of him.

Wrong, Orton was expecting Lloyd to cut to the side line a few yard shy of the endzone .. Then either score on his own effort or at least make it first and goal inside the 5.

It was a clear timing route and Lloyd ran straight into the endzone. Mistake was Lloyds.

DT was on the outside of the INT play, perhaps Lacey was cutting across to cover DT and he was suppose to be further downfield, but the ball was thrown to a well covered Royal and the INT was mostly on Orton.

myMind
09-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Thomas is a rook.
Who the **** cares what went wrong where!
We lost due to a lack of coaching and execution in general.
Deal with it and move on to next week...isn't that what they say, right?

SoCalBronco
09-27-2010, 08:20 PM
It's a self serving statement, I put no weight in it.

extralife
09-27-2010, 08:21 PM
It was a bad throw, but Orton can say whatever the **** he wants given the way he's playing.

Br0nc0Buster
09-27-2010, 08:37 PM
of course someone messed up on the pick, I doubt Josh called a play to have two receivers run a pattern right next to each other

also the 4th down play was also a miscommunication
seems to be the story of this offense so far

Cito Pelon
09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
What happened on the 4th and 3 was it was an option route just like Indy did with Collie on Cox - if the CB bit inside, Lloyd was supposed to go for the endzone. If Hayden stayed back Lloyd was supposed to run a hitch.

IMO, Orton was impatient and decided too early Hayden was staying back. Orton was not under duress, he should have been more patient.

ZONA
09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I have to give Orton a few props here. He made his best ever looking long pass yesterday. What a beauty that was, dropped it right in there, pefect throw.I was a little shocked when he launched it so deep, I was like whoaaa, what's he doing.

barryr
09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
It's too bad Orton is the only QB in the league who throws bad passes. None of the great QB's in the NFL ever did that. Do people actually know much about the game? Geesh. Like Elway never threw bad passes.

broncocalijohn
09-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Not surprising for a young player to make mistakes. Kudos to Orton for using the word "we" as opposed to calling others out.

And who would you be referrring to? Does it rhyme with Cay Jutler?

TonyR
09-28-2010, 07:31 AM
It's a self serving statement, I put no weight in it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you I'm having trouble seeing where this statement is "self serving". I think the statement was completely fair and by use of the term "we" he explicitly includes himself.

Mediator12
09-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Damn, people. What the hell is wrong with you!

The coverage was excellent there and the DB jumped the route with safety over the top help. DT's busted route had NOTHING to do with that INT. THE CB Lacey read the drop, read the route underneath because he had safety over the top coverage, and jumped the play. It was a good defensive play. To blame Orton or DT is simply self serving and has NO basis whatsoever.

Rabb
09-28-2010, 12:17 PM

The coverage was excellent there and the DB jumped the route with safety over the top help. DT's busted route had NOTHING to do with that INT. THE CB Lacey read the drop, read the route underneath because he had safety over the top coverage, and jumped the play. It was a good defensive play. To blame Orton or DT is simply self serving and has NO basis whatsoever.

I'd agree except it was DT's corner that picked it off

in other words he wouldn't have a route to jump if someone (don't know who) was in the right place

Mediator12
09-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I'd agree except it was DT's corner that picked it off

in other words he wouldn't have a route to jump if someone (don't know who) was in the right place

No. Absolutely not.

It was an under zone coverage where he left his zone and broke on the other receivers route, just like Bailey has done several times over the years. The DB saw the drop, read the route and broke on it before the WR was even out of his route.

DT's route was left as soon as Lacey read the drop and broke on the throw.

Rabb
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah I guess I can see that, he was watching Orton the whole way

Beantown Bronco
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
No. Absolutely not.

It was an under zone coverage where he left his zone and broke on the other receivers route, just like Bailey has done several times over the years. The DB saw the drop, read the route and broke on it before the WR was even out of his route.

DT's route was left as soon as Lacey read the drop and broke on the throw.

The problem is, if DT had simply kept running the route (deep along the sideline I assume) at the very least he would've been in the way of that corner and run a pick so that the corner would not have had such an easy path to the ball. No INT in that case.

WABronco
09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
The problem is, if DT had simply kept running the route (deep along the sideline I assume) at the very least he would've been in the way of that corner and run a pick so that the corner would not have had such an easy path to the ball. No INT in that case.

Silence layman. The mediator has spoken.

It's pretty obvious that the corner was in position to make the play by virtue of the play/route...anyone could see that it looked broken by the way two receivers were holding hands.

Beantown Bronco
09-28-2010, 12:36 PM
It's pretty obvious that the corner was in position to make the play by virtue of the play/route...anyone could see that it looked broken by the way two receivers were holding hands.

Never in dispute.

WABronco
09-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I am in 100% concurrence with you, sir.

baja
09-28-2010, 12:37 PM

If you watch Josh's presser yesterday he essentially confirms this.

Rabb
09-28-2010, 12:40 PM

that was my point as well

Rock Chalk
09-28-2010, 12:48 PM
They were both probably option routes that the receiver and the QB read differently.

The defender was playing way off coverage, Lloyd read the option wrong. Needed 3 yards, where Orton threw it was where the correct read was because the defender had no chance to stop the pass. Had lloyd read that defense correctly, that may have been the TD because he had enough room to catch, turn and make a play for the end zone.

As for the pick, Im not sure what happened but like others have said, it was tight there and wrong route or no, Orton probably should have just thrown it away. Too many players bunched up together.

cutthemdown
09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Sometimes to make completions you have to be willing to throw ball before WR has made break. A WR going to wrong spot by even a yrd or so can lead to a pick.

Missouribronc
09-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I know this is probably crazy logic, and people will hate it, but...

I would rather he make the mistake playing Indianapolis in Week 3, then Oakland in Week 7. Indianapolis is going to win 12 or 13 games. They just will. That's what they do. So I don't feel like its that bad losing to them. Disappointing, hell yes, but its not the end of the world.

Look at the schedule after playing the Jets...Oakland, at San Fran, bye, KC, at San Diago, St. Louis, at KC, at Arizona, at Oakland, Houston, San Diago.

Combined record: 9-12. And three of those wins are Kansas City, and I fully expect them to take a tail slide.

Mediator12
09-29-2010, 08:52 AM

It's possible, but INDY looked like the were going to run another cover 3 package in the nickle, but Lacey was able to get inside so quick because of the disguised Cover 2 concept. If it had been cover 3, then Lacey would have had the outside tech and the WR's route would have been in the way.

I just do not see the outside route combination having any effect on the play whatsoever in this case. His route became irrelevent to Lacey as soon as Orton planted his foot and looked left on his drop. Lacey had the over coverage from the safety and had the option to jump any underneath routes in his zone. That is what he did.

Chris
09-29-2010, 08:56 AM
It's possible, but INDY looked like the were going to run another cover 3 package in the nickle, but Lacey was able to get inside so quick because of the disguised Cover 2 concept. If it had been cover 3, then Lacey would have had the outside tech and the WR's route would have been in the way.

I just do not see the outside route combination having any effect on the play whatsoever in this case. His route became irrelevent to Lacey as soon as Orton planted his foot and looked left on his drop. Lacey had the over coverage from the safety and had the option to jump any underneath routes in his zone. That is what he did.

Dude actual football talk is heavily frowned upon here.

Beantown Bronco
09-29-2010, 08:57 AM
I agree with you and that's essentially what I'm trying to say as well. Nothing DT did was going to alter what Lacey saw/did. But if DT had kept running, he at least would've had a shot at being in between Lacey and the ball....and perhaps it would've simply fallen incomplete. By DT stopping oddly like he did, Lacey couldn't have had a cleaner shot at the pick. He had nobody and nothing screening him.

dbfan4life
09-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Who cares? Orton has got to know when not to throw the ball. If it's all about timing then there's gonna be a lot more INTs with D.Thomas running the wrong routes.

Agreed. Watching the Monday night game, on the Aaron Rogers TD. His first read was the WR on the left. Wasn't there so Rogers scrambled and ran for the TD. When the INT happened, it looks like DT was expeceted to be in the spot that Orton threw to. Regardless, Orton has to recognize he was out of position and look somewhere else.

Mediator12
09-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Agreed. Watching the Monday night game, on the Aaron Rogers TD. His first read was the WR on the left. Wasn't there so Rogers scrambled and ran for the TD. When the INT happened, it looks like DT was expeceted to be in the spot that Orton threw to. Regardless, Orton has to recognize he was out of position and look somewhere else.

Actually, the pressure forced Rodgers off his second read who was wide open and then instead of throwing across his body and giving a chance for the pick he just tucked and ran because he could ;D

I already explained the Orton pick. It was a good play by the CB on a timing route. It was exactly the same type of play Tracy Porter Made on Reggie Wayne in the SB. It was a ball already thrown before the CB beat the WR tot he spot.

Cito Pelon
09-29-2010, 09:24 AM

I believe Orton was picked off on that same play in preseason.

Mediator12
09-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I believe Orton was picked off on that same play in preseason.

I do not remember that. Was it the same disguised Cover 3 look that went Cover 2 after the snap? Or was it simply the same route combination?

Cito Pelon
09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I do not remember that. Was it the same disguised Cover 3 look that went Cover 2 after the snap? Or was it simply the same route combination?

I can't speak to the coverage combo, but it was the Pitt game. IIRC it was the same route combo.

Mediator12
09-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I can't speak to the coverage combo, but it was the Pitt game. IIRC it was the same route combo.

That would make sense. PIT also uses a ton of Cover 3 and rolls cover 2 sometimes to change things up when they fake the blitz and rush only four. In fact, that is how Polumalu makes a ton of INT's. They let him play an underneath Robber in the cover three and then let him play the hot route in the cover 2.