PDA

View Full Version : George Blanda Dies

Rohirrim
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Some of the old timers will remember this guy.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/27/george-blanda-passes-away/?related=1

Old Dude
09-27-2010, 02:29 PM
RIP George.

gunns
09-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Definitely do. I was so impressed with him being a "jack of all trades" football player. The guy tried hard at every position he played. RIP George

rodr88
09-27-2010, 02:37 PM
I remember him well. He was one of the few guys playing when I started watching football that was a lot older than my dad.

RIP George.

The Moops
09-27-2010, 02:46 PM
RIP George Blanda. You were one of a kind. One of the GOOD Raiders . . .

dsmoot
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Some of the old timers will remember this guy.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/27/george-blanda-passes-away/?related=1

The article mentions Blanda's 1970 season of miracle comebacks. I remember it well as a 12 year old. I went to my second NFL game in my life that season - the AFC Championship game vs. Baltimore Colts and Unitas. It was quite a game and is replayed on the NFL Network from time to time. Madden was the Raider coach pacing the sidelines in December, no coat, just shirt sleeves. Lamonica was the starting Raider QB. I remember seeing the posters hanging from the upper deck "Kill Bubba Kill" for Bubba Smith who was outstanding. Sure enough, Bubba Smith knocked Lamonica out of the game right in front of us, we were sitting just behind the Colts bench.

In came Blanda which made everyone nervous over the incredible season he was having. It wasn't to be since the Colts basically had the same team who lost to Jets a couple of years earlier in SBIII. They were not going to be denied. Blanda threw a touchdown pass very shortly after he came into the game (as I remember???). However, Unitas was reasonably healthy and threw a game clinching TD to Ray Perkins (or Jimmy Orr???) to put the game on ice. A great game with some drama.

Blanda was a tough old guy. A real football player.

Mogulseeker
09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Definitely do. I was so impressed with him being a "jack of all trades" football player. The guy tried hard at every position he played. RIP George

Didn't Sammy Baugh recently die as well?

Love those types. I think the NFL would be a hell of a lot more interesting if the players today had to play both sides still.

Los Broncos
09-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Never seen him play but RIP to a great one.

Miss I.
09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Never saw him myself, but my Dad knows way more about football and he used to talk about him.

RIP George.

Pony Boy
09-27-2010, 03:12 PM
How great would it be to have a OB that was also the kicker like old George, save a roster spot......

JJJ
09-27-2010, 03:13 PM
A great straight-footed kicker. One of the Raiders it was kind hard to hate.

Kaylore
09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Rest in peace George.

Rohirrim
09-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I just remember watching a game, Raiders against somebody, where Blanda moved the team down the field, stayed in the game while the kicking team came out, and kicked the winning field goal. Old school at its best. RIP George.

Champagne Powder
09-27-2010, 03:52 PM
It seems fitting that the ole Bear passed away the same day his team played their rivals on Monday Night Football.

gunns
09-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Didn't Sammy Baugh recently die as well?

Love those types. I think the NFL would be a hell of a lot more interesting if the players today had to play both sides still.

He died back in 08. Hell, the players today couldn't be expected to play both sides of the ball. That would make them "slaves".