PDA

View Full Version : A Positive Spin

UberBroncoMan
09-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm normally not one to feel this way, but I'm not as pissed about this loss as I maybe should be for a big IF.

We had two turnovers to their zero. 0-2

We had ZERO TD's in the RedZone on FIVE attempts. 0-5

We're without Doom, and Goodman.

Our running game is still pathetic.

Our 3rd down percentage on defense was pathetic.

We gave up 60 yards on 6 penalties.

They had Freeney and Mathis. We only gave up 1 sack to Mathis.

We lost 13-27 against Peyton Manning and the Colts.

This game was a recipe for a complete blowout yet we were in it into the 4th quarter.

We have a lot of room to grow. Hopefully we'll get more aggressive on defense. We look like puppies compared to the wolves we had on D last year. There's nowhere for our pathetic 3rd down D and running game to do but go up.

If we can fix the running game, get more aggressive on defense, and fix up the redzone we have a shot at being a playoff team THIS year.

The good part I saw out of all of this is that there are just those three areas where we are really lacking. We're WRETCHED at them too, which means as we get better at them we're going to see a drastic upward swing.

Or so I hope.

So yeah. Pathetic loss today, but I saw some good out of it due to how bad we were in certain areas, and the ending score against who we were facing.

Popps
09-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Ha.

Merge this with my thread. :)

Seriously, I don't think the loss was so pathetic. Besides Cox, Manning looked human... they couldn't run the ball... and we had a big day passing.

Silly mistakes, missed opportunities and no running game killed us today.

Those are things that can be fixed.

Mr.Meanie
09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
great post, I completely agree.

Did anyone really believe we were going to win this game? The Colt's offense is sick, and we have serious issues to work out. But there were bright spots, and I think this team gets better as the year goes on as opposed to the last few years.

Dedhed
09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
If this game shows anything, its that we can hang with any team in the league.

If the offense executes today, this is a very different day.

I thought Graham's drop on the first play from scrimmage really set the tone for the offense.

I was hugely impressed by the defense today.

UberBroncoMan
09-26-2010, 04:36 PM

I thought Graham's drop on the first play from scrimmage really set the tone for the offense.

The 2 turnovers to 0, and 0 TD's in 5 RZ trips is very telling. The Colts got 10 points off of those turnovers too. Our execution and mistakes lost this game. We could have very easily blown the Colts out. It's good to know that. Had we been flat out dominated this would be a very different feeling.

McDman
09-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Our red zone O is just pathetic. That's what happens when you can't run the ball. I think our line is definitely the problem.

NYBronco
09-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Disappointed in the loss but I felt the Broncos held up well against the Colts. This young team still has areas to improve on. The passing game is our strength and I am pleased with "Noodle arm" Orton, the pass protection and WR's. The running game is a mystery but Maroney has only been here for a short time. Defense played well vs Manning and the Colts.

Broncosfreak_56
09-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Our defense looked good for the most part, We just pissed the bed in the red zone on offense. Fix that and the running game, and we will be alright. Last week we saw we can execute in the red zone, so I am optimistic about that. The running game, however, I am worried about. I think Once our line gets healthy and gels as a unit, we can be solid. And our pass rush will be outstanding next year when dumervil gets healthy, IMO. Ayers was doing very well today, but could seal the deal against a QB with great pocket presence. Once we have doom collapsing the other side of the line, I think we can see great things.

Overall, tough game to swallow, but we saw good things.

lostknight
09-26-2010, 04:38 PM
It showed that we have a fantastic D. Our offense? Sure looked like the horrific disaster it was last year. Two out of three games look very scary so far. 3-10 in the last thirteen games. Thems Rams and Lions numbers folk.

Steve Sewell
09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Ha.

Merge this with my thread. :)

Seriously, I don't think the loss was so pathetic. Besides Cox, Manning looked human... they couldn't run the ball... and we had a big day passing.

Silly mistakes, missed opportunities and no running game killed us today.

Those are things that can be fixed.

This loss was completely pathetic. There was no reason we should have lost this game.

lostknight
09-26-2010, 04:41 PM
This loss was completely pathetic. There was no reason we should have lost this game.

this.

gunns
09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
great post, I completely agree.

Did anyone really believe we were going to win this game? The Colt's offense is sick, and we have serious issues to work out. But there were bright spots, and I think this team gets better as the year goes on as opposed to the last few years.

Yes, I thought we had a chance, merely because when the media begins to hype a game where the opponent has no chance of winning, hey maybe we could. Overall I was pleased with our defense. I thought if we were to lose it would be a blowout because our D couldn't stop Manning. I thought they did early on and without Goodman and Doom. We have a lot of rookies that are going to make rookie mistakes. It can only get better.

Dutch
09-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I've completely resigned myself to this being the 2nd year of a rebuilding process. There is much to be pleased with at this point. Our wide receiver corps is set for the next several years. Our O-line just needs to get healthy and gell as a unit. They will be a solid/great group for the next 5-10 years. Running back will be solid as well. Say what you will about Knowshon, but I watched him throughout his career at Georgia, he will be fine once he gets healthy. Orton will be fine. There was more than a bit of miscommunication between he and his receivers today. Bring Tebow along slowly and he might be ready to go in three years. We will be able to draft Defence heavy the next two years. Get us a couple of stud linebackers and a couple of solid 3/4 D ends/nose tackles and look out. Our kickers are both solid. Things are looking up, guys. We are rebuilding and I am pleased with where we are headed. Today was not a blowout, period. We were in the game up until the last Indy TD. I have no problem with McD going for it on 4th down in the red zone both times. Like my little bro said this afternoon, "would you rather go 10-6 and miss the playoffs, or go 8-8 and draft higher in a year you know that we are not going to the Super Bowl?" Give me the draft this year and maybe next (though I think we'll be contending for the AFC West next year, San Diego on the way down...Raiders screwed up till Al dies, the Chiefs...um, they are the Chiefs...say Matt Cassel). We're going to be fine, and I really like the direction this team is headed.

UberBroncoMan
09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I've completely resigned myself to this being the 2nd year of a rebuilding process. There is much to be pleased with at this point. Our wide receiver corps is set for the next several years. Our O-line just needs to get healthy and gell as a unit. They will be a solid/great group for the next 5-10 years. Running back will be solid as well. Say what you will about Knowshon, but I watched him throughout his career at Georgia, he will be fine once he gets healthy. Orton will be fine. There was more than a bit of miscommunication between he and his receivers today. Bring Tebow along slowly and he might be ready to go in three years. We will be able to draft Defence heavy the next two years. Get us a couple of stud linebackers and a couple of solid 3/4 D ends/nose tackles and look out. Our kickers are both solid. Things are looking up, guys. We are rebuilding and I am pleased with where we are headed. Today was not a blowout, period. We were in the game up until the last Indy TD. I have no problem with McD going for it on 4th down in the red zone both times. Like my little bro said this afternoon, "would you rather go 10-6 and miss the playoffs, or go 8-8 and draft higher in a year you know that we are not going to the Super Bowl?" Give me the draft this year and maybe next (though I think we'll be contending for the AFC West next year, San Diego on the way down...Raiders screwed up till Al dies, the Chiefs...um, they are the Chiefs...say Matt Cassel). We're going to be fine, and I really like the direction this team is headed.

Pretty much.

With Doom back next year, some picks on the DL, and Cox and the rooks (OL rooks too) a year older we should have a lot to look forward too.

I thought Zane Beadles played like a beast in pass protection today. Ryan Harris may be expendable if this keeps up.

Dutch
09-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Pretty much.

With Doom back next year, some picks on the DL, and Cox and the rooks (OL rooks too) a year older we should have a lot to look forward too.

I thought Zane Beadles played like a beast in pass protection today. Ryan Harris may be expendable if this keeps up.

I don't think they will give up on Ryan. Games he played last year 6-2 games he didn't 2-6. The health thing is frustrating as it is with Knowshon, but it is way to easy for the casual fan (or the FF crowd) to read too much into that. He played awesome last year when he was healthy. In the long run, I think he will be fine. Just a bad streak and if we let him go he'd be picked up in a New York min by someone else. Beadles had a real good game today in pass protect. He and Walton both play with a nasty streak that I love. Ayers had a great game and with Doom back we will have our version of Freeney and Mathis, IMHO. We played without Kupe, Knowshon, and Goody today and still were in the game at the end. Hill had a great game. Cox got burned a couple of times and had the fumbled punt that changed the complexion of the game. I'm OK with it as he came back and rucked up and played. Compaired to Roc Alexander a couple of years ago..please. He did fine for a rook.

scttgrd
09-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Manning had an off day, the Indy defense was down at least 3-4 players, lose by two touchdowns and this is something to be proud of. I'd hate to be your boss.

KS Bronco
09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
if we get to play them again this year, IF... we beat them!!! we beat ourselves today. proud of our D.

55CrushEm
09-26-2010, 05:40 PM

All of this. Ultimately, it makes a few more games on our schedule look winnable.

On to the Titans.....

55CrushEm
09-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Disappointed in the loss but I felt the Broncos held up well against the Colts. This young team still has areas to improve on. The passing game is our strength and I am pleased with "Noodle arm" Orton, the pass protection and WR's. The running game is a mystery but Maroney has only been here for a short time. Defense played well vs Manning and the Colts.

Yeah.....I laugh at all the clowns bitching about Orton's "noodle" arm. His TD pass was about 63 yards in the air.

Popps
09-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah.....I laugh at all the clowns b****ing about Orton's "noodle" arm. His TD pass was about 63 yards in the air.

Yea, most of those people have quietly faded away.

It was a good effort today. We were overmatched and really had our chances to steal this game, playing short-handed on a week following a tragedy.

Lots to fix, but this game really could have been a disaster... and it wasn't. Instead, I saw a few things that gave me reason to keep optimistic.

bowtown
09-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Yea, most of those people have quietly faded away.

It was a good effort today. We were overmatched and really had our chances to steal this game, playing short-handed on a week following a tragedy.

Lots to fix, but this game really could have been a disaster... and it wasn't. Instead, I saw a few things that gave me reason to keep optimistic.

This team is going to be force by mid-season.

scttgrd
09-26-2010, 05:51 PM

A force in what? Turnovers? Lowest YPC percentage? Fewest scores in the redzone. Please explain.

Popps
09-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Maybe not that soon, but they're playing their asses off.

Today, it came down to Manning v. a rookie CB, really. Manning won.

We need to build momentum as the season goes on. That's the trick, imo.

Then, we get Doom back next year... and hopefully a couple more players, and we might just have something special.

UberBroncoMan
09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
A force in what? Turnovers? Lowest YPC percentage? Fewest scores in the redzone. Please explain.

If we fix that **** we will be a force. IF.

I think next year is where we will really come out though. IF we have a solid defensive draft class that addresses the D-Line.

Old Dude
09-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Positives:

With two rookies and a first year player on the o-line, Denver surrendered only one sack in 58 passing attempts, (and while playing from behind for nearly the whole game.) It's hard to bash a young offensive line that helped the team to get 500+ yards in total offense.

The defense stopped the Colts running game and contained Wayne and Clark for most of the game. They gave the offense plenty of opportunities to win. Cox is hardly the first rookie CB to be victimized by Manning & co.

If the O-Line continues to mature and develops some cohesion, we'll eventually see fewer penalties and some improved run blocking. The defense will have better days.

The season is young.

oubronco
09-27-2010, 07:14 AM
We get a running game and a consistant pass rush and we will have something here

Go Broncos!!