PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts about the Colts game

Kaylore
09-26-2010, 04:30 PM
At least the Chargers will likely lose. (knock on wood).
Knew we'd lose but surprised how we did this time. We had a shot if we didn't fail to execute in the redzone, fumble, etc. Seems we always make the critical mistakes against the Colts.
We're Manning's b****. Always have been.
I thought we'd lose by 17 so I guess 14 isn't bad. I knew Manning was going to convert that third and 15 play. He always does - especially against us.
Major Props to Larry Coyer. Very typical bend but don't break - especially in the redzone coordinator. Obviously we saw his secondary get lit up, but the one guy who could beat Coyer is now his QB. It's a shame to see him gone because Shanahan firing Coyer was Shanny's undoing here. Still a huge, huge mistake.
Orton had a great game and major props to a battered offensive line that overall kept Orton clean. Beadles really rebounded from his rough start.
Major mistakes in the redzone. I also think McDaniels let his emotions get the better of him down there. We probably still lose, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad call.
Our biggest problem is our front seven. We miss Dumervil a great deal and the D-line is below average. Until we invest some good picks there we will see more close loses like this - even at home.
Props to team for doing their best given the circumstances. It was a good game plan and with the loss of McKinley, it was probably hard for everyone to play a "game" this week.

Oh well. On to Titans. If we can make it to week six 3-3, we have a shot to make the playoffs.

Steve Sewell
09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Props to team for doing their best given the circumstances.

Wow, did you miss our red zone performance?

Kaylore
09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Wow, did you miss our red zone performance?

I thought we did well against Peyton Manning. Are you saying it sucked? We turned the ball over three times to him, once on our 30 and only lost by 14. We should have utterly destroyed.

peacepipe
09-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Am I the only one wondering if we'll ever have a legit running game. passing, we're doing better than I ever expected.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Defense played well enough to win for the 2nd straight year

The stretch play isn't working and it's getting old that they keep going back to it

D Thomas threw a sweet block and opened up the seam for Royal on the PR that was called back

Cox got caught looking in the backfield on both TDs

Frustrating that they've outgained their opponents in both losses

They win at least one of the 2 losses if they have Elvis

The record might not show it after this stretch of games, but they're an average team. Not great, but not terrible either.

backup qb
09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I thought Ayers had another nice game. In fact, if we had Elvis I think we would have a hellacious duo on our hands. But, we don't......

Cito Pelon
09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Knew we'd lose but surprised how we did this time. We had a shot if we didn't fail to execute in the redzone, fumble, etc. Seems we always make the critical mistakes against the Colts.
I thought we'd lose by 17 so I guess 14 isn't bad. I knew Manning was going to convert that third and 15 play. He always does - especially against us.
Major Props to Larry Coyer. Very typical bend but don't break - especially in the redzone coordinator. Obviously we saw his secondary get lit up, but the one guy who could beat Coyer is now his QB. It's a shame to see him gone because Shanahan firing Coyer was Shanny's undoing here. Still a huge, huge mistake.
Orton had a great game and major props to a battered offensive line that overall kept Orton clean. Beadles really rebounded from his rough start.
Major mistakes in the redzone. I also think McDaniels let his emotions get the better of him down there. We probably still lose, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad call.
Our biggest problem is our front seven. We miss Dumervil a great deal and the D-line is below average. Until we invest some good picks there we will see more close loses like this - even at home.
Props to team for doing their best given the circumstances. It was a good game plan and with the loss of McKinley, it was probably hard for everyone to play a "game" this week.

Oh well. On to Titans. If we can make it to week six 3-3, we have a shot to make the playoffs.

True.

NFLBRONCO
09-26-2010, 05:14 PM
This is not a playoff team yet

Ray Finkle
09-26-2010, 05:15 PM

I'm a homer but I don't see them going 3-3....I see more of 2-4 or 1-5 before they hit a winnable streak.

SoCalBronco
09-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm a homer but I don't see them going 3-3....I see more of 2-4 or 1-5 before they hit a winnable streak.

Yeah its going to be rough, but I'm willing to give Josh a complete mulligan for this year because of Doom's injury and all the young guys starting. He needs to qualify for the postseason in 2011, though, no exceptions. I'm not asking for a playoff win, just an appearance. That's not asking alot.

Goobzilla
09-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Which 2 of the next 3 do they win to get to .500 ?

@ Tennessee
@ Baltimore
NY Jets

Broncosfreak_56
09-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Once Dumervil gets healthy and we draft some front 7 talent early in the draft, I am optimistic about our defense.

I hope our line can get healthy and gel this season, right now our running game is pathetic.

WolfpackGuy
09-26-2010, 05:24 PM
3-3 will be a pipe dream.

More like 1-5 with 5 losses in the AFC.

Things could get uglier in a hurry with 3 games in a row against physical teams that will just beat the hell out of both Broncos lines.

elsid13
09-26-2010, 05:26 PM
This team needs to find balance on offense. We can not have Orton throw the ball up 50 times and come home with victory.

Kaylore
09-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah its going to be rough, but I'm willing to give Josh a complete mulligan for this year because of Doom's injury and all the young guys starting. He needs to qualify for the postseason in 2011, though, no exceptions. I'm not asking for a playoff win, just an appearance. That's not asking alot.

I complete agree. If we have another .500 ish year then we'll need to look elsewhere.

I will say this: McDaniels is an excellent football coach. His major failings are in the personnel department.

TonyR
09-26-2010, 05:36 PM
His major failings are in the personnel department.

You don't like this year's draft? At this point I wish we would have gone elsewhere with the Decker pick, and I'm still not sold on the Tebow move, but hard not to be pleased with the potential of D. Thomas, Walton, Beadles, and Cox, among others. Even going back to last year's draft, yes the A. Smith and R. Quinn moves were horrible but both Moreno and Ayers could/should be solid players for this team for years to come.

Inkana7
09-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I complete agree. If we have another .500 ish year then we'll need to look elsewhere.

I will say this: McDaniels is an excellent football coach. His major failings are in the personnel department.

I disagree. Who performed well today? Orton, Lloyd, The O-Line, Gaffney, Ayers(in bursts), McBath, Jones.

Who brought those guys in? McDaniels (Well, 2/5 of our Line are Shanahan guys, but you get the idea.)

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-26-2010, 05:37 PM
If they don't turn the ball over, they can take both the Titans and the Ravens. There, I said it. I'm not afraid of Young or Flacco. Hell, the Ravens almost lost to the Browns today. If anyone thought the secondaries were bad in the first 3 weeks of the season, wait until you see Baltimore's.

TheChamp24
09-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Personally, I feel we'll go 1-2 over the next 3 and be 2-4.

WolfpackGuy
09-26-2010, 05:43 PM

And red zone offensive playcalling.

gyldenlove
09-26-2010, 05:45 PM
+ Bailey and Cox both looked good in coverage, had tight coverage and against a lesser QB they shut down the air completely.
+ Ayers looked good despite the lack of sacks, he had a number of pressures and some really strong run support tackles at the line.
+ Orton continues to look solid, he had a few throws that were off, the 4th and 3 pass to Lloyd being one and the interception as well.
+ Pass protection continues to be solid, a lot of people thought Mathis and Freeney would have a field day but Clady shut down Freeney and Beadles held Mathis in check.
+ Right now the 49ers and Bears look like idiots for letting Lloyd go, he is on fire.

- Bad turnovers, gave possession away in our red zone twice.
- I am still upset about the 3rd and goal call with the pass to the outside, that is a bad play call in my book. I would go for something like that on 2nd down, but not 3rd.
- If only Maroney can find a game that is all about running sideways, he ran for at least 100 yards in the lateral direction today, unfortunately he seems to have some sort of mental block when it comes to running forwards, he never does it.
- Nate Jones had 2 good tackles today for short gains in key situations preventing 3rd down conversions, unfortunately he also gave up a 1 TD uncontested and had some really bad coverage to allow 3rd down conversions.
- Renaldo Hill is looking worse and worse to me, he never makes a play, he is sloppy in coverage and frankly seems to be just a warm body to put out there so we can field 11.
- Pass pressure is still lacking, Dumervil is missed big time we knew he would be, but Hunter/Moss are just not getting it done, Ayers gets some pressure every so often, usually when he can go outside.

colonelbeef
09-26-2010, 05:46 PM

The Broncos have evolved as an organization.

We no longer need talent. In fact, don't show talent, unless you want McDaniels to trade your ass halfway to Siberia.

We want Jabar Gaffneys and fist pumps.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-26-2010, 05:49 PM

We no longer need talent. In fact, don't show talent, unless you want McDaniels to trade your ass halfway to Siberia.

You're taking this a little too far with your hyperbole.

TonyR
09-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Yes, that D Shanahan left behind was loaded with talent...

Hercules Rockefeller
09-26-2010, 05:52 PM

The '09 and '10 would beat the '06, '07, and '08 Broncos.

55CrushEm
09-26-2010, 06:01 PM

@ Tennessee
@ Baltimore
NY Jets

@ Tenn and the Jets at home. For both games, the defensive plan is easy....stack the box to stop CJ and Greene, and make Vince Young and Dirty Sanchez beat our secondary.

Popps
09-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Good thread, K.

I actually thought our front 7 held up very well today. My disappointment was in the running game. We just absolutely have to open up some holes somehow.

Orton is throwing for 350 yards a game... and we still can't open up a running lane. No more excuses about how the passing game is holding back our runners.

I do think Moreno would have helped today, but ultimately.... we've got to get this running scheme in order.

gyldenlove
09-26-2010, 06:02 PM
I disagree. Who performed well today? Orton, Lloyd, The O-Line, Gaffney, Ayers(in bursts), McBath, Jones.

Who brought those guys in? McDaniels (Well, 2/5 of our Line are Shanahan guys, but you get the idea.)

Jones didn't play well, neither did Mcbath. The best player on the o-line was Clady who wasn't brought in by Mcdaniels.

Mcdaniels like Shanahan seems to have some limitations when it comes to personnel decisions but is a good on-field coach.

rbackfactory80
09-26-2010, 06:03 PM

Not yet it wouldn't. This is the type of team those early Shanahan teams would of been able to handle. This team, as built with the Patriots in mind won't function at its highest potential until they take all the mistakes out of their game. When you watch the Patriots during their Superbowl years, they never made mistakes and beat themselves. The Patriots never blew anyone out and they won every game by 3 points. Week-after-week we continually shoot ourselves in the foot and turn the ball over. Down the road I can see this team playing smart football and being better than those Shanny teams but right now I don't believe that to be the case.

gyldenlove
09-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Good thread, K.

I actually thought our front 7 held up very well today. My disappointment was in the running game. We just absolutely have to open up some holes somehow.

Orton is throwing for 350 yards a game... and we still can't open up a running lane. No more excuses about how the passing game is holding back our runners.

I do think Moreno would have helped today, but ultimately.... we've got to get this running scheme in order.

I know this is going to get trolled, but I think some of our problems with the run today was down to not having Moreno out there. Maroney seems very fond of jumping and runing sideways and not very happy at all about running forwards, Buckhalter has definitely lost a step or something because he is nowhere near the player he was last year.

Right now it seems to me the 2 big things with running the ball is 1, use the run fairly, right now it seems we put in run formations and then run the ball or playfake, we never run in situations when it is not painfully obvious so the defense knows what is coming, secondly we are not running simple run plays, it seems our run plays almost always feature a pulling offensive lineman or stretching to the right or left instead of just man to man blocking and then full steam ahead.

WolfpackGuy
09-26-2010, 06:07 PM
secondly we are not running simple run plays, it seems our run plays almost always feature a pulling offensive lineman or stretching to the right or left instead of just man to man blocking and then full steam ahead.

100% agree

The running plays are taking WAY too long to develop on several occasions during the last two years.

Kaylore
09-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Good thread, K.

A man running scheme has a lot of do with building chemistry and rhythm amongst the linemen and with the backs. Something this team hasn't had.

And Herc is so right about the stretch play - especially against this defense you can't set the edge. You pretty much have to run vertically against them.

oubronco
09-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't care what anyone says I'm with kaylore we had our chances to win this game but It just wasn't in the cards for us. Let's get ready for the Titan's. We have plenty to build on

jsco70
09-26-2010, 06:12 PM
The Broncos had their chances today and blew it. However, I like how this team is evolving. The offense has unlimited potential, young talent, and McDaniels is innovative. Yes, he has a lot to learn but I think he's going to coach this team well beyond his current contract.

Obviously, the key will be how McD and Martindale revamp the defense. The good news is there are some nice building blocks at the LB position, and in the secondary. The question is how quickly can the DL be upgraded. We shall see.

I have a hard time comprehending anyone who continues to bag on McD. He is putting together a solid team, with team oriented players who fit his system. I think the future for the Broncos is bright, and the AFC West will be theirs for the taking in the next couple of years. Hell, they might even make a run this year if they can tread 500 for the first half of the season.

colonelbeef
09-26-2010, 06:13 PM
You're taking this a little too far with your hyperbole.

probably. This game was especially demoralizing for me.

colonelbeef
09-26-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm not sure this is something to be proud of, let alone argue for or against.

BlaK-Argentina
09-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Yeah Jabar Gaffney sure sucks, doesn't he? :clown:

Rock Chalk
09-26-2010, 06:20 PM

@ Tennessee
@ Baltimore
NY Jets

Well, Tennessee looked painfully average against Pitt and Baltimore looked old and slow on Defense against Cleveland of all teams.

The Jets look like the best of that bunch. Tough oging to Tennessee and Baltimore but we gotta find a way to win one of those games and sneak the Jets game from them.

It will be possible, but its looking like 2-4 after the first 6 games.

But really, is that any different than what anyone thought when we saw the schedules? We all know this first 6 game stretch was going to be rough.

There are some good things to take out of this loss.
1) The score didn't really reflect how well we played.
2) McDaniels was thinking "We need to score touchdowns" when in reality, two field goals would have made that last drive much less desperate.
3) Defense did show some new things, things I liked. Cox was up and down but he is a rookie and I think he played pretty good overall. Sure he gave up two TDs, but he made some really fantastic pass break ups as well and played good coverage overall.

Ayers was getting some pretty good pressure and despite not sacking Manning we got to him and put him on his ass several times in this game.

The receiving corps is really the best in the league overall. I dont care what anyone says, we got the WRs and right now Orton is getting them all the ball. Two 100+ yard receivers today is fantastic. IF we can ever find a decent run game we will be a tough out for any team in the league. The offensive line really played well today and for the most part Mathis and Freeney were completely neutralized. Orton had hours to throw the ball.

We really need to work on red zone play calling. I was not a fan. Where was the play action and then a swing pass to the TE in the flat? That effing works for everyone and we hardly ever use it. Not that our TEs could hold on to the football today but god damn.

And I do fully believe Moreno scores on one of those plays when we had goal to go from the 1. That TD changes a lot in the game.

5 Red zone possessions, 0 TDs. I dont care who's fault they are really, coaches, Ortons, WRs, RBs, doesnt effing matter that is unacceptable.

broncosteven
09-26-2010, 06:21 PM
You don't like this year's draft? At this point I wish we would have gone elsewhere with the Decker pick, and I'm still not sold on the Tebow move, but hard not to be pleased with the potential of D. Thomas, Walton, Beadles, and Cox, among others. Even going back to last year's draft, yes the A. Smith and R. Quinn moves were horrible but both Moreno and Ayers could/should be solid players for this team for years to come.

I think a DL pick in the 1st round either last April or in place of the Knowgain pick would have positioned this team to win quicker. Knowgain is avg and we have to wait a couple years for Tebow to make any sort of impact on a game but the other players you mentioned are nice pickups even if there are only a couple players left from mCd's 1st draft.

Steve Sewell
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Why don't you troll a little bit harder? It's not obvious or anything.

LongDongJohnson
09-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Not yet it wouldn't. This is the type of team those early Shanahan teams would of been able to handle. This team, as built with the Patriots in mind won't function at its highest potential until they take all the mistakes out of their game. When you watch the Patriots during their Superbowl years, they never made mistakes and beat themselves. The Patriots never blew anyone out and they won every game by 3 points. Week-after-week we continually shoot ourselves in the foot and turn the ball over. Down the road I can see this team playing smart football and being better than those Shanny teams but right now I don't believe that to be the case.

The patriots never blew anyone out? oh man thats funny.

broncosteven
09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
A man running scheme has a lot of do with building chemistry and rhythm amongst the linemen and with the backs. Something this team hasn't had.

And Herc is so right about the stretch play - especially against this defense you can't set the edge. You pretty much have to run vertically against them.

I don't know how they worked on the run in TC or how successful it was but I am not sold on mCd as a designer of running plays or his philosophy as to how the run complements the offensive play calls.

I have faith that mCd knows how to throw the ball between the 20's but not so much in the run game.

I did like the way they limited Dallas Clark today and how they chipped the Colts WR's with a LB a the LOS on D and I think that came from mCd's understanding of the passing game but I don't know if he knows how to design, teach and have a squad execute in the running game.

colonelbeef
09-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah Jabar Gaffney sure sucks, doesn't he? :clown:

He is an above average player who works hard, no doubt. A good 2nd or 3rd option on a good team. Not a star who draws doubles and triples down the field though.

colonelbeef
Why don't you troll a little bit harder? It's not obvious or anything.

I'm not trolling, just being a little ironic with a touch of satire.

rbackfactory80
The patriots never blew anyone out? oh man thats funny.

Apparently you didn't watch them the years they won the superbowl.

_Oro_
09-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I like this team a lot. I think we're better than in 08 and 09. I like the fact that were in every game so far and we play tough. We need to eliminate mistakes but that will come. Our offense... unbelievably... let us down today but I'm not worried about that in the future.

So here we are. In our two losses I think we beat ourselves more than anything. You can never count out Manning but I think this early in the season we would have beat him if we eliminate our mistakes.

In our one win, we play absolute mistake free and we blow the Seahags out.

So "Let's learn the plays in the NFL" and "win some MFING games"

epicSocialism4tw
09-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Run game sucks.

Red zone offense is pathetic.

DB's are awesome, even without Goodman.

DL's coming on, mainly Ayers who was making plays all day.

Welcome back, Brandon Lloyd.

Orton's numbers are inflated because we had no run game. Dude threw like 55 passes.

Red zone coaching was pathetic.

Clady is maybe the best LT in the league.

Beadles played well.

gyldenlove
09-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Clady is the best LT in the league.

Beadles played well.

Fixed it for accuracy.

LongDongJohnson
09-26-2010, 07:06 PM

They were constantly a top 10 team in both scoring and points allowed.

They did blew out a lot of teams.

bowtown
09-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I know this is going to get trolled, but I think some of our problems with the run today was down to not having Moreno out there. Maroney seems very fond of jumping and runing sideways and not very happy at all about running forwards, Buckhalter has definitely lost a step or something because he is nowhere near the player he was last year.

This, Maroney looks like he did in NE. Most undecisive runner, he is who we thought he was. Buckhalter is still clearly hurt. We did miss Moreno today.

TheProfessor
09-26-2010, 07:20 PM
I've never seen a team this terrible at run blocking. Doesn't seem to matter who is out there they struggle to find any consistent holes. Indy is usually a terrible run stuffing team and we made them look like the 2000 Ravens.

The run game has to get fixed or we are going to see a lot more games like this.

brncs_fan
09-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Well, considering he wasn't the OC until 2006 in NE, I don't think we can count the super bowl years. Unless you mean 2007 when the Patriots tore everyone in the league a new one week in and week out and he was the OC and the team scored 589 points over the season.

barryr
09-26-2010, 07:23 PM
So one can see it's not just Moreno having troubles finding room to run, so maybe this bust crap can stop.

lostknight
09-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes, that D Shanahan left behind was loaded with talent...

Which is why we immediately traded away offensive talent.

lostknight
09-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I've never seen a team this terrible at run blocking. Doesn't seem to matter who is out there they struggle to find any consistent holes. Indy is usually a terrible run stuffing team and we made them look like the 2000 Ravens.

The run game has to get fixed or we are going to see a lot more games like this.

I almost wonder if we need to start doing delayed rushes. Wait for all of the receivers to clear, and for the o-line to pick up assignments and then run. It was amazing how well our o-line held their d-line statically.

rbackfactory80
09-26-2010, 07:37 PM
Well, considering he wasn't the OC until 2006 in NE, I don't think we can count the super bowl years. Unless you mean 2007 when the Patriots tore everyone in the league a new one week in and week out and he was the OC and the team scored 589 points over the season.

Sure you can, it not necessarily about him being the actual offensive coordinator as it is about him adopting the Patriot philosophy. The philosophy was smart system players and no mistakes. Prior to walking you have to be able to crawl. The Patriots prided themselves on winning close games and that is what he is trying to do here in Denver. Once we get all the pieces in place, ala the 2007 Patriots we will start to blow other teams out. Currently we have to clean up the mistakes and penalties and we will have a chance in every game. The NE system that grew into the 2007 version was made possible by a great addition in the slot and the uncoverable Randy Moss.

If you go look at the NE Superbowl Champion teams they did not blow out many opponents except the occasional walk-overs like the Browns and so fourth. Even their playoff and Superbowl wins could have went either way.

ghwk
09-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Maroney. Not good unless someone puts a boot up his a$$ at the line of scrimmage to get him to hit an obvious opening and run through it.

broncosteven
09-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Maroney. Not good unless someone puts a boot up his a$$ at the line of scrimmage to get him to hit an obvious opening and run through it.

The dude has been here 2 weeks. I wasn't expecting a lot, more than 30 yards would have been nice. He did not seem to have any quickness and there was one play well blocked early which would have been a home run if we had a back with any speed that he had a nice gain on but he he is not going to come in and be a 1200 yard back for us mostly because no back is going to get that may touches on this team.

I do think he looked a lot like Knowgain especially when he tried to run up his blockers ass. I wonder if that pisses off OL when RB's try to move the pile by running into them rather than run to daylight?

Mr. Elway
09-26-2010, 08:16 PM
I think we're playing decently-to-well in all phases except the running game. There are a great many defenses who cannot stop Manning, and considering the turnovers and lack of Elvis, I really liked how we slowed him through the majority of the game. We made some mistakes today, but we hung tough and kept in the game. Our pass protection was terrific, our WR core is looking very good, and Orton continues to look like a "real" NFL QB. I like our chances against Tennessee.

On a sidenote, classic Shanahan today losing to an inferior St Louis team. Any bets on how many "anytime"s he had for the press afterwards?

broncosteven
09-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I think we're playing decently-to-well in all phases except the running game. There are a great many defenses who cannot stop Manning, and considering the turnovers and lack of Elvis, I really liked how we slowed him through the majority of the game. We made some mistakes today, but we hung tough and kept in the game. Our pass protection was terrific, our WR core is looking very good, and Orton continues to look like a "real" NFL QB. I like our chances against Tennessee.

On a sidenote, classic Shanahan today losing to an inferior St Louis team. Any bets on how many "anytime"s he had for the press afterwards?

I really don't think Doom would have made that big an impact vs Manning.

Manning gets the ball out so quickly that he takes pass rushers out of the game.

Doom will be missed in other games this year but not so much today.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Orton threw a 62 yard frozen noodle, if my calculations are correct.

Sassy
09-26-2010, 08:24 PM

ROFL! I was just going to add that!

mwill07
09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
kick return coverage was outstanding.

Sassy
09-26-2010, 08:26 PM
BTW....isn't Orton tied with Elway for two games over 400 yards!

baja
09-26-2010, 08:28 PM

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING AT IS A VERY YOUNG OFFENSE LEARNING TO PLAY TOGETHER. IT'S GOING TO BE LIKE THIS FOR A FEW MORE GAMES, THAT IS LOTS OF GOOD PLAYS WITH HEARTBREAK PLAYS SPRINKLED IN.

THE D IS PLAYING WELL BUT UNLIKE THE OFFENSE THEY ARE OLDER, MY HOPE IS THEY CAN HOLD UP THIS LEVEL OF PLAY WHEN THE O GETS IT TOGETHER AND TURNS IT ON.

WINK IS LOOKING GOOD

I AGREE WITH KAYLORE ON THIS;

baja
09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Sorry about the caps but i'm not redoing the post.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-26-2010, 08:31 PM
BTW....isn't Orton tied with Elway for two games over 400 yards!

Today's effort has to be damn near the single game record for most passing yards in a double digit loss.

mwill07
09-26-2010, 08:31 PM
also - I really liked the way Wink dealt with Dallas Clark. We've struggled with TE's who can run in the past (see JAX game), and Clark is one of the best in the league. When Clark lined up wide, Wink had a DB and LB (not sure who) repeatedly check him at the line - it looked like Clark was a gunner on punt-coverage or something. They did a number of roughing him up and taking him out of his route.

I'd like to see a repeat of this treatment for Gates.

Hulamau
09-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Agree!

broncosteven
09-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Today's effort has to be damn near the single game record for most passing yards in a double digit loss.

Brees was up there too

Hercules Rockefeller
09-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Also, Buck and Maroney were missing cutback lanes left and right today.

2nd NFL game and everytime Thomas lined up outside, the Colts had safety help over top.

Taco John
09-26-2010, 08:54 PM

And it was absolutely beautiful...

TheChamp24
09-26-2010, 09:19 PM
They were constantly a top 10 team in both scoring and points allowed.

They did blew out a lot of teams.

In 2001, in the regular season, they had 11 wins. 4 of the 11 were decided by 1 score or less.
In the playoffs, every game was decided by 1 score or less.

In 2003, 7 of their wins were decided by a score or less. 2 of the 3 playoff wins were as well.

2004, only 4 of their 14 wins were decided by a score or less, and only one playoff game was.

39 regular season wins, 15 decided by a score or less.
9 playoff wins, 6 decided by a score or less.

So 38% of their regular season wins were by a score or less, and in the playoffs 67%.

I'd say that the Pats were more successful than people give them credit for.

outdoor_miner
09-26-2010, 09:20 PM
This game actually gave me hope that the defense can at least be above average... I saw a lot of positive things from them.

bronco militia
09-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Also, Buck and Maroney were missing cutback lanes left and right today.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed

Rabb
09-26-2010, 09:21 PM
This game actually gave me hope that the defense can at least be above average... I saw a lot of positive things from them.

totally agree

TheChamp24
09-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I instinctively remember Maroney missing a wide open cutback by cutting, hesitating, then cutting back inside, resulting in a 2 yard gain which should have been like 5-7.

Durango
09-26-2010, 09:28 PM

We had a decent chance to win this game, and some people are ok with a 14 point loss? Get that running game up and going somehow and this game has a completely different complexion. Isn't pass blocking more difficult than run blocking? This group, including the rookies, were good to very good at pass blocking today..all season so far for that matter, but we can't seem to open holes for the RBs. What's the deal?

Hercules Rockefeller
09-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Very frustrating. A lot of it was the running game woes that people are bitching about justifiably come about from the run blocking, but those 2 left a lot of yds on the field because they missed wide open lanes.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-26-2010, 09:58 PM
and for anyone who ever complains about the wine and cheese crowd because the priced out they "true" fans, please come see a game in the upper deck where I'm assuing said "true" fans would be.

The football IQ up there is borderline retarded. Any completion that doesn't result in a 1st down gets booed. Anytime Kyle throws short on 3rd because everyone deep is covered, he gets booed. Kyle had 400+ yds and there were still moronic Tebow chants anytime he threw an incompletion. They stand up and cheer when Denver is in the redzone. I could go on, but be careful what you wish for.

orangemonkey
09-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Best defense against the Colts in 5 years
Good ST besides Cox fumble
Great o line play considering injuries. think Clady is on his way back. I saw some moves that no one in the league can duplicate.
Our O is mediocre to bad
Our run game is bad.

sgbfan
09-26-2010, 10:16 PM
A few questions about the defense.

I didn't notice either Hunter or Moss out there at all today. Was that becase we were usually in a nickle, or because they were that invisible?

Second. I see a lot of people giving Cox grief, but how many plays were against him compared to Carter? How many plays did Carter make compared to Cox? The fumble was horrible, but he didn't play that bad as a CB.

orangemonkey
09-26-2010, 10:16 PM
and Moreno is our best back by a large margin and we need him back badly. I totally believe in him.

sgbfan
09-26-2010, 10:17 PM
I instinctively remember Maroney missing a wide open cutback by cutting, hesitating, then cutting back inside, resulting in a 2 yard gain which should have been like 5-7.

I saw a few of those. I notice moreno do that at times too. A see a wide open space to one side, and he runs into his blocker.

BlaK-Argentina
09-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Great o line play considering injuries. think Clady is on his way back. I saw some moves that no one in the league can duplicate.
Our O is mediocre to bad
Our run game is bad.

Our O would be VERY good if we could get the running game going. It amazes me how badly we've been doing there.

Bigdawg26
09-26-2010, 10:21 PM
A few questions about the defense.

I didn't notice either Hunter or Moss out there at all today. Was that becase we were usually in a nickle, or because they were that invisible?

Second. I see a lot of people giving Cox grief, but how many plays were against him compared to Carter? How many plays did Carter make compared to Cox? The fumble was horrible, but he didn't play that bad as a CB.
AGREED! I thought he played a pretty good game for a rookie corner against the best QB/offensive coordinator in the league!

orangemonkey
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Our O would be VERY good if we could get the running game going. It amazes me how badly we've been doing there.

One cut and run. Where did that go? And I agree with you. Kyle needs it badly.

strafen
09-26-2010, 10:26 PM
This, Maroney looks like he did in NE. Most undecisive runner, he is who we thought he was. Buckhalter is still clearly hurt. We did miss Moreno today.If the game was played from sideline to sideline, the dude would've had at least 100 yards rushing!

baja
09-26-2010, 11:11 PM

I haven't seen this mentioned but I think if we had a healthy Moreno playing today we win this game.

baja
09-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Our O is mediocre to bad
Our run game is bad.

I would call the O above average and rising but suffering from brain farts, too many lapses. I have a strong feeling they will put it all together very soon. Hopefully we get Harris & Moreno back next week. I like our chances against Tenn.

mkporter
09-27-2010, 12:50 AM
I haven't seen this mentioned but I think if we had a healthy Moreno playing today we win this game.

If we had a healthy (and not-suspended) LenDale White we win the game too.

mkporter
09-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Positives:
-Pass protection was very impressive. Pass rush is a big strength for the Colts, and Orton was pretty clean all day.
-Defensive game plan. Loved the physical play on Clark and the other receivers. Nice work Josh and Wink.
-I thought Haggan showed up pretty often today. More than I'd seen yet this year. He made a few nice run stops for little or no gain.
-Champ. Manning tested him early and often, and he held Wayne relatively quiet. It didn't appear that Champ had much help all day.
-Ayers looked good again today. Some good pressure on Manning, and some nice plays in the run game. Overall I was impressed with our run defense.
-WRs. Deepest in the league? If not, pretty close.

Negatives:
-Running game. Ewww. Seemed like Maroney left a lot of yards on the field. Every time I though he was going to pick up 2-3 more yards as defenders approached, he'd stop, and get hit and not gain anything else. Seemed like he turned a lot of 3-4 yard gains into 1-2 yard gains. May not seem like a lot, but it matters.
-Red Zone offense. I liked the calls to go for the touchdowns on 4th down. But we've got to find a way to get the ball in the endzone. I know Larson getting dinged up didn't help, and Maroney's only had a week of practice, but it's still not acceptable. IMO Shanahan had red zone troubles because ZBS uses smaller blockers who can't get the push needed in goal line situations. McD problem is also that his power run game also sucks right now. This is unfortunate, because he is a power run oriented guy.
-Overall better ST play, but another week, and another critical mistake by this unit. I'm thinking Priefer might be done at the end of the year if things don't get better. Nice to see McBath out there though.

Bottom line: Some bright spots out there. If we make fewer mistakes, we could have won the game. We fought hard, even though we were down the whole game. Let's go stomp the Titans.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2010, 02:45 AM

New fan? Those 80s Broncos from my memory were much worse run blocking.

TotallyScrewed
09-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Defense played well enough to win for the 2nd straight year

The stretch play isn't working and it's getting old that they keep going back to it

D Thomas threw a sweet block and opened up the seam for Royal on the PR that was called back

Cox got caught looking in the backfield on both TDs

Frustrating that they've outgained their opponents in both losses

They win at least one of the 2 losses if they have Elvis

The record might not show it after this stretch of games, but they're an average team. Not great, but not terrible either.

I agree with your opinion about the defense. Overall, I was much impressed. Prior to the game, I was concerned that they wouldn't be able to stop the Colts at all or in any manner. They forced them to throw. And while that isn't a strangle hold, it is something. The defense kept them in the game. Cox was a limp dick tonight. He showed his inexperience. Bailey and Dawkins showed their age but still played pretty well. Props to the defense.

TotallyScrewed
09-27-2010, 04:21 AM

For this game, I completely disagree. Josh is supposed to be a great offensely minded coach.

Play calling sucked. It wasn't Josh's play calling that got them all those yards. It was individual effort. Major props to the WR's! Josh needs to work toward the strengths already on the team and stop with the ego. He seems to think that his running game is far better than it is. It may get there but its not ready at the present. He needs to learn how to manage a game and work redzone and goalline. Does he know that he can work the refs and argue a call?

Your quote sounds like a replay...

His major failing, this game, was ego and not playing to the team's strength.

Rock Chalk
09-27-2010, 04:30 AM
Dude, Cox got beat twice in this game. That hardly makes him a limp dick. He also had 4 or 5 passes defensed, two of which were on 3rd downs.

Cox did a good job considering the circumstances. There is only so many times you can stop Manning before he bites you in the ass.

Consider that we held them to 3 total points on drives that didn't start deep in our own territory due to turnovers in the first half, I think most of us would have been ecstatic with that. We gave them a 10 spot due to turnovers (I am aware Cox is the reason for one of those turnovers but that led to a field goal.)

This game boils down to red zone inefficiency that is all it is. We fix that, we fix a lot of problems. The defense was able to stop Manning for most of the game (he is going to get his, even in defeats he always gets his). Despite their lackluster performance in Jacksonville, this defense has looked much improved. The offense fixes the ONE glaring problem we have and we are no longer an average team but an upper level team.

TotallyScrewed
09-27-2010, 04:30 AM

Right now it seems to me the 2 big things with running the ball is 1, use the run fairly, right now it seems we put in run formations and then run the ball or playfake, we never run in situations when it is not painfully obvious so the defense knows what is coming, secondly we are not running simple run plays, it seems our run plays almost always feature a pulling offensive lineman or stretching to the right or left instead of just man to man blocking and then full steam ahead.

qft

_Oro_
09-27-2010, 06:30 AM
We didn't get it done in the redzone and a lot of that is on McDaniels. When we ran it twice in a row then threw on 3rd and ran on 4th, if we had just passed on the 2nd down we had like 3 receivers open in the flat.... But that's how it goes. What's redic. is to blames the redzone woes on McD then not give him any credit for our "between the 20ies" play which was horribly reminiscent of the Cutler era, and our great effort on D.

Cito Pelon
09-27-2010, 06:58 AM

Good point. I agree.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Dude, Cox got beat twice in this game. That hardly makes him a limp dick. He also had 4 or 5 passes defensed, two of which were on 3rd downs.

Cox did a good job considering the circumstances. There is only so many times you can stop Manning before he bites you in the ass.

Consider that we held them to 3 total points on drives that didn't start deep in our own territory due to turnovers in the first half, I think most of us would have been ecstatic with that. We gave them a 10 spot due to turnovers (I am aware Cox is the reason for one of those turnovers but that led to a field goal.)

This game boils down to red zone inefficiency that is all it is. We fix that, we fix a lot of problems. The defense was able to stop Manning for most of the game (he is going to get his, even in defeats he always gets his). Despite their lackluster performance in Jacksonville, this defense has looked much improved. The offense fixes the ONE glaring problem we have and we are no longer an average team but an upper level team.

I smell optimism. That's not allowed around here.

55CrushEm
09-27-2010, 07:03 AM

All of this. And yes, Cox had a decent game....he had a few nice pass breakups that I remember. And keep it in perspective....he's a rookie going against probably the best QB in the history of the game. Oh noes.

TonyR
09-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Running game. Ewww. Seemed like Maroney left a lot of yards on the field. Every time I though he was going to pick up 2-3 more yards as defenders approached, he'd stop, and get hit and not gain anything else. Seemed like he turned a lot of 3-4 yard gains into 1-2 yard gains. May not seem like a lot, but it matters.

Agree completely with the comments many are making that the RB's left some yards on the field. That being said the run blocking is still the much larger problem here. Maroney has averaged better than 4 yds per carry for his career and clearly he wasn't able to approach that yesterday, just as Moreno hasn't been able to behind this line. The backs need to do better, but they need help in front of them.

TonyR
09-27-2010, 07:11 AM
All of this. And yes, Cox had a decent game....he had a few nice pass breakups that I remember. And keep it in perspective....he's a rookie going against probably the best QB in the history of the game. Oh noes.

Yup, I'm floored by people trashing Cox. Hell, Champ got beat a couple of times too and nobody's trashing him. Facing one of the game's best QB's with too much time to throw you're going to get beat sometimes. Playing in his third professional game, give the guy a break.

Cito Pelon
09-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Yup, I'm floored by people trashing Cox. Hell, Champ got beat a couple of times too and nobody's trashing him. Facing one of the game's best QB's with too much time to throw you're going to get beat sometimes. Playing in his third professional game, give the guy a break.

Yeah, Cox played pretty well actually (besides the muff). He barely got beat on the first TD, and it took a perfect, beautiful throw to do it. The 2nd TD, he bit on the in, but I've seen Champ and many, many other CB's do the same thing many times. Cox has good closing speed when he gets beat, and that's a big deal.

The D was playing pretty darn well, overall. Had some great individual efforts, disciplined secondary play. It's a crying shame that good D effort was wasted by lack of redzone execution, and a muffed punt.

Denver724
09-27-2010, 07:29 AM
From John Clayton on ESPN (posted in another thread, but with all the CB talk I thought it was interesting).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/notebook/_/page/lastcall1003/john-clayton-last-call

Once again, Peyton Manning (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1428) showed he can overcome a lot of adversity. He didn't have wide receivers Pierre Garcon (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11439) and Anthony Gonzalez (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10476) because of injuries, leaving him only two experienced receivers. His left tackle, Charlie Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9785), was inactive because of a foot injury. Nevertheless, Manning completed 27-of-43 for 325 yards and three touchdowns in a 27-13 victory over the Broncos. With the Broncos sliding their coverage to Reggie Wayne (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2578) and Dallas Clark (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4482), Manning hit Austin Collie (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12561) on 12 of 16 attempts for 171 yards and two touchdowns. The Colts had four starters and Gonzalez inactive because of injuries.

Smiling Assassin27
09-27-2010, 07:56 AM
1. Welcome to the NFL, Perrish Cox. One one hand, Manning does this to every young, inexperienced DB. On the other hand, that level of play isn't going to get it done back there, if you plan on being a shut down corner. The fumble, we'll chalk up to inexperience, and I do think McD should've put him back in at PR.

2. Laurence Maroney is a weak runner with no semblance of instincts or field vision. His sole attribute was speed and that seems to have been ripped from him by age 25. The sad part is that he was the best runner on the field for us, which speaks to the sad state of affairs at that position in Dove Valley. He was solid on blitz pickup, but this guy would be on the practice squad on all the elite teams' rosters. He falls after first contact and runs like he's looking for which direction the bus that's gonna steamroll him is coming from. I've heard of running scared, but LM runs scared sh!t-less.

3. No pass rush. The loss of Doom has made our pass rush spotty and inconsistent. Ayers got some good push but only occasionally as he'd run himself right out of the play as manning stepped up. The key to beating Manning has always been speed rush with people grabbing at his legs as he steps up. It makes him skittish and preoccupies his reads. This must change, Wink. Our DB's are good, but they ain't THAT good.

4. Brandon Lloyd finally gets it. We've been waiting for him to fulfill his potential and he has in this offense. I'd like to see him work with Bay Bay because DT has the skills to be Brandon Marshall's twin. Gaff was stellar as usual and our WR corps is the strength of the team, IMO.

5. Orton. Two words: He's good.

6. Coaching: Two words: Outthinking themselves.

7. Somebody had better keep the Chiefs in their sights before they run away and hide.

Mr. Elway
09-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I really don't think Doom would have made that big an impact vs Manning.

Manning gets the ball out so quickly that he takes pass rushers out of the game.

Doom will be missed in other games this year but not so much today.

Interesting. I found myself thinking several times that with a little more pressure we could have stopped him on 3rd down. With Ayers doing decently I am pretty excited to see what they can do together next year.

You could be right though, and Manning got a lot of yardage from those short routes to Collie - there's not much we can do to stop those, especially when Manning delivers them so perfectly. You have to do a lot of things right to beat the Colts, including score, because they're gonna get theirs.