PDA

View Full Version : Champ expected to play - Moreno's injury: hamstring again...

Popps
09-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Hadn't seen these updates on both player's situations. Merge if old news...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-09-25/broncos-scratch-moreno-but-bailey-expected-to-play

Chaos has become the new norm for the Denver Broncos' running game. Knowshon Moreno is out again after injuring his left hamstring during practice Thursday. Correll Buckhalter is expected to start in his place Sunday against the Colts.

This is just the most recent injury for Moreno. He injured his right hamstring the opening day of training camp and didn't return until Aug. 31. Moreno 111 yards on 39 carries for a 2.8-yard average.

The running game is off to a dismal start. Its 77 yards per game is 27th while averaging 2.4 yards on 63 carries.

The Broncos are expected to use a three-man approach Sunday, with Buckhalter and newcomers Laurence Maroney and Andre Brown likely to share the workload.

Maroney has had less than two weeks to assimilate Denver's playbook after his acquisition from New England. He didn't begin practicing with the Broncos until this week because of a thigh injury.

Meanwhile, cornerbacks Champ Bailey (heel) and Andre' Goodman (thigh) returned to practice Friday, and NFL Network reported Bailey is expected to play. The Broncos need their Pro Bowl corner on the field to have a shot at slowing the Colts' passing game.

Right tackle Ryan Harris (left ankle) has been ruled out.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-09-25/broncos-scratch-moreno-but-bailey-expected-to-play#ixzz10WMKeoPe

Doggcow
09-25-2010, 02:03 AM
At least Hammy's arent career threatening like a knee.

Champ and Goodman is huge though.

I think we will be passing a lot, and I'd almost prefer we abandon the run for this game after how Orton has played!

cutthemdown
09-25-2010, 02:06 AM

I think we will be passing a lot, and I'd almost prefer we abandon the run for this game after how Orton has played!

What's career threatening about Moreno is his inability to stay on the field or make big plays.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-25-2010, 02:15 AM
What's career threatening about Moreno is his inability to stay on the field or make big plays.

Yes, hes been hurt, but its kinda crazy that everyone speaks like he's missed numerous games. This will be his first missed regular season game

Taco John
09-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Yes, hes been hurt, but its kinda crazy that everyone speaks like he's missed numerous games. This will be his first missed regular season game

In fairness, many people speak like he hasn't shown up to numerous games, despite the fact that he's there.

Rock Chalk
09-25-2010, 07:09 AM

Really? This is his first NFL game he has missed and he has an inability to stay on the field?

Your hatred is retarded.

Garcia Bronco
09-25-2010, 07:18 AM
I am sick and tired of people dogging our team. I used to have to go to Chiefs planet for this ****. Moreno is a good player and teammate.

TotallyScrewed
09-25-2010, 07:19 AM

Dumb, I'm pretty sure they can be career threatening for a runningback. Hopefully, not in this case.

Goodman? Really?!?! I'm pretty happy he's not in there.

Dumber To abandon the run any further than they have would mean to not run at all. You don't want to help a defense that way.

I agree that Orton has played well...so far.

Rock Chalk
09-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Dumber To abondon the run any further than they have would mean to not run at all. You don't want to help a defense that way.

Umm, we havent abandoned the run. We ran the ball a lot at the Seattle game. It just doesnt work well but it worked well enough for Seattle to continue to stack the box and leave the receivers in one on one situations.

Jetmeck
09-25-2010, 07:42 AM

Not with Mathis and Freeney on the other side. Allowing them to just pin their ears back and come will kill us amd maybe get Orton killed as well..........

Gort
09-25-2010, 07:56 AM

i don't see any way for the Broncos to be competitive this week. i absolutely despise the indiacrapolis cowpies. but we can't run. and we can't stop the run. and we don't get pressure on the QB. so our offense will be 1 dimensional. and our special teams coverage is awful. Crybaby Manning will pick apart our secondary and will have all day to do it. if we drop more back into coverage, they'll run at will on us. on paper this looks to be a blowout. the only saving grace is that it's an early season home game, so maybe the cowpies will not be firing on all cylinders yet. but then again, this is a meaningful game for them because they haven't wrapped up a playoff spot yet, so they won't take it easy either. usually we play them late and they're resting their starters already. if McD has any tricks in his bag, he better use some of them this week. i can't wait for Crybaby's career to come to an end and for the cowpies to go back to being a sh*tty team again. i hate them with a white hot passion that goes back to their theft from Baltimore in the middle of the night in early 1984. surely, irsay is rotting in hell for that. i'm getting sick of the NFL putting these guys on the Broncos schedule nearly every year. oh, and i hate the cowpies. :)

Gort
09-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Umm, we havent abandoned the run. We ran the ball a lot at the Seattle game. It just doesnt work well but it worked well enough for Seattle to continue to stack the box and leave the receivers in one on one situations.

indiacrapolis >> seattle

if McD insists on running the ball 20-25 times this game, expect alot of 3-and-outs. :(

BroncoInferno
09-25-2010, 09:24 AM
indiacrapolis >> seattle

if McD insists on running the ball 20-25 times this game, expect alot of 3-and-outs. :(

Actually, Indy's run defense is pathetic.

cutthemdown
09-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Really? This is his first NFL game he has missed and he has an inability to stay on the field?

Your hatred is retarded.

I actually consider being able to practice in training camp, practice etc etc as part of it. He hasn't missed a lot of games, but hasn't been healthy for very many either. He ran gimpy last yr, and its the same this yr. Keeps happening and he will be done as an NFL RB.

I see no burst from him. He hesitates before he accelerates full speed. Cracks he could run through have then folded and it looks like he has no hole. There are cracks and seems though hes just doing a poor job accelerating into them full speed. Another sure sign the guy is hurt, or playing like he is banged up.

Whatever though I just don't get attached to players like you do. I pull for the uniform and the Broncos and could care less who is in them.

I don't hate him though be reasonable. As a person I am sure he's a great guy. As an NFL RB he is average.

cutthemdown
09-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Problem is to make it work we have to run the ball, and score. Not sure Broncos good enough to do that on the ground just yet. Even against a bad run defense.

We will probably have to throw ball 50 times to have a shot at outscoring the colts.

Hamrob
09-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Uh-oh....what are we going to do....without 2.8 yds a carry Moreno?

cutthemdown
09-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Uh-oh....what are we going to do....without 2.8 yds a carry Moreno?

Shhh someone will come along and accuse you of eating babies.

cutthemdown
09-25-2010, 09:48 AM
you hater Hamrob. Cmon he wears a Bronco uniform you are supposed to love him no matter what.

cutthemdown
09-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Man I miss Mike Anderson. Now he would run full speed into hole. If it wasn't there he made one.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-25-2010, 09:51 AM
you hater Hamrob. Cmon he wears a Bronco uniform you are supposed to love him no matter what.

Right. Because there's no difference between "maybe we should give this guy a shot when he and his line are both healthy" and "I LOVE HIM NO MATTER WHAT BECUZ HE'Z A BRONCOZ LULZ!"

This place becomes more shrill every day.

tsiguy96
09-25-2010, 10:02 AM
im pretty excited to see what andre brown does.

spdirty
09-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Man I miss Mike Anderson. Now he would run full speed into hole. If it wasn't there he made one.

I miss Terrell Davis.

Br0nc0Buster
09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
only real fans talk **** on their own players
talking **** on Moreno is not old or repetitive at all, its very unique and constructive

Gort
09-25-2010, 10:19 AM

we can't run on anybody. that will bring up alot of third and long passing situations. we won't be able to convert those against indiacrapolis like we did against seattle. i hate going into a game knowing that the Broncos are undermanned, but that's where we are right now against teams like sandy eggo and indiacrapolis. we have to play perfectly to beat those teams.

_Oro_
09-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Against the Seahawks we were playing in 3rd and short all game. This is how we went on to convert 14-20 third downs. At one point in the game it was like 14-16 and then we failed some third downs because we were just eating up clock. How did we get in
those nice third and shorts? Mostly by running the ball. Yes there were a few penalties
which helped us but by in large it was because of our running game or the bubble screen (which I consider a run anyway).

I think there are two reasons people are hating on Moreno. The first one being he was picked in the first round. Denver fans want all their running backs to be studs coming out of the 6th round. Second is the power scheme. We're not ever
going to be ripping off 4.8 yards per carry but its okay. The whole goal of changing scheme, and getting bigger on the o-line is so we can get that 2.8 yards when we only need one.

Popps
09-25-2010, 10:31 AM
It's been said, but hamstring injuries just hang around. Remember Champ's last hamstring injury? He basically was never 100% all year.

Again, I'm in the camp that says with this season being a transitional year and already missing key players... let the guy COMPLETELY heal.

The Maroney trade looks very smart right now, especially considering we only gave up a couple of slots late in a draft to get him.

Retire #30!!!
09-25-2010, 10:34 AM
we can't run on anybody. that will bring up alot of third and long passing situations. we won't be able to convert those against indiacrapolis like we did against seattle. i hate going into a game knowing that the Broncos are undermanned, but that's where we are right now against teams like sandy eggo and indiacrapolis. we have to play perfectly to beat those teams.

Well in fairness we ran horribly against the Seahawks and we had a lot of third and shorts. I would say that Indys run D is worse that Seattles...

Steve Sewell
09-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I actually consider being able to practice in training camp, practice etc etc as part of it. He hasn't missed a lot of games, but hasn't been healthy for very many either. He ran gimpy last yr, and its the same this yr. Keeps happening and he will be done as an NFL RB.

I see no burst from him. He hesitates before he accelerates full speed. Cracks he could run through have then folded and it looks like he has no hole. There are cracks and seems though hes just doing a poor job accelerating into them full speed. Another sure sign the guy is hurt, or playing like he is banged up.

Whatever though I just don't get attached to players like you do. I pull for the uniform and the Broncos and could care less who is in them.

I don't hate him though be reasonable. As a person I am sure he's a great guy. As an NFL RB he is average.

There's a reason you're not an NFL coach or talent evaluator. It's because you don't know what you're talking about.

Dedhed
09-25-2010, 10:57 AM
The worst part about this will be that when we have success running against the terrible run defense that the Colts put out there, the dimwits will use it as further "proof" that Moreno is a bust.

WABronco
09-25-2010, 11:02 AM
indiacrapolis >> seattle

Uh no Seattle has one of the nastiest run D's in the league.

OABB
09-25-2010, 11:09 AM
The important thing to remember is that all of us are homers in some way. some will see players as better than they are and some (the closeted gays) will have a masochistic hatred of our players. It just depends on your own psychology. Moreno is a good back right now with a lot of potential. That's what any reasonable observer would say.

I tend to think moreno is great right now, and that can obvioulsy be homerism. The healthy version of it at least.

Some call him knowgain or slowshon and talk about his dancing behind the line(he really really doesn't do his ever, seriously. If there is a hole he hits it hard. If there are defenders on him he dances.) and these negetive homers are really screwed up.

These people that choose to make up things about a player in a negetive light obvioulsy want some big strong man to manhandle their sphincter with a giant cucumber or lead pipe. They want pain and misery in all accounts because of some deep seeded hatred for them selves.

I write this as a public service to these people. Get help. There is nothing wrong with being gay, or wanting a giant fat women wearing leather to stomp on your balls with high heels while peeing on you at the same time. It's a lifestyle for some. Just be ok with it.

We are here for you. I'm sorry daddy didn't really love you enough, but now you are In a brotherhood of fans and we welcome you with open arms. Just no peeing, ok?

Gort
09-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Uh no Seattle has one of the nastiest run D's in the league.

maybe. it's hard to know after 2 games which teams have elite defenses and which are benefiting from weak opposition.

according to the current team stats, indiacrapolis is #4 in passing defense. again, we won't know for a few more games how real that ranking is, but for now, the most simple analysis of stats says they're #4. also, the Broncos rushing offense is #27. our passing offense is #5.

so my take on the game is that the Broncos won't be able to run the ball effectively and will have to resort to the pass, thus lots of 3rd and longs. i wouldn't be surprised to see Orton throw a couple of picks and get sacked 3-4 times due to the pressure. i don't think our passing defense can hang with indiacrapolis' passing game. mix in some bad coverage on kickoffs and punts and it seems to me that it's going to be a long day for the home team.

it's also been a tough week for the team. i think coming out flat after the death of a teammate would not be unexpected.

Rock Chalk
09-25-2010, 11:27 AM
maybe. it's hard to know after 2 games which teams have elite defenses and which are benefiting from weak opposition.

according to the current team stats, indiacrapolis is #4 in passing defense. again, we won't know for a few more games how real that ranking is, but for now, the most simple analysis of stats says they're #4. also, the Broncos rushing offense is #27. our passing offense is #5.

so my take on the game is that the Broncos won't be able to run the ball effectively and will have to resort to the pass, thus lots of 3rd and longs. i wouldn't be surprised to see Orton throw a couple of picks and get sacked 3-4 times due to the pressure. i don't think our passing defense can hang with indiacrapolis' passing game. mix in some bad coverage on kickoffs and punts and it seems to me that it's going to be a long day for the home team.

it's also been a tough week for the team. i think coming out flat after the death of a teammate would not be unexpected.

Indy has the 4th rated pass defense*.

* Because teams can run the ball down their throats, no need to pass.

enjolras
09-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Didn't Moreno have one of the biggest plays of the game last week? I vaguely remember a 45 yard screen pass that he pretty much manufactured on his own.

I could be dreaming tho...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Didn't Moreno have one of the biggest plays of the game last week? I vaguely remember a 45 yard screen pass that he pretty much manufactured on his own.

You're not dreaming.

Not only are you not dreaming, but he made that 45 yards up out of thin air. That play should have gone for a two yard loss.

baja
09-25-2010, 12:29 PM

NOW SEE THAT DOESN'T COUNT because it was a pass ;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Time will tell, of course, but I think we may see Moreno develop into more of a Reggie Bush-type player. Use him as a runner, sure, but his primary purpose and yardage will come in the passing game, when you can get him in open space and let him make a guy or two miss.

They just seem like similar players to me, is all.