PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Running Game Should Get Back on Track Against Colts

listopencil
09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
For years, Denver Broncos fans got used to Mike Shanahan, Gary Kubiak, and the zone blocking scheme, and for years it was a great success. The Broncos could seemingly plug in any average Joe to their system, and they would be one of the NFL's top running teams.

The culture of this team has changed, and understandably so. Josh McDaniels has implemented an offense that has made its mark in the NFL through numerous top tier passing attacks. Not unlike Shanahan's successful running game, Josh McDaniels made a franchise player out of Matt Cassel of all people, and now has Kyle Orton on track for a potentially huge season.

Despite the fact that the Broncos are a good passing team this year (and they are very, very good), it doesn't excuse the fact that they are running the ball very, very poorly in 2010. Last week, the Broncos couldn't even put together three yards per carry between their top two running backs, and so far this season are better than only five teams in overall rushing, averaging a very pedestrian 77 yards per game.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/9/23/1704708/broncos-running-game-should-get-back-on-track-against-colts

HILife
09-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Testing
Testing

skunk
09-23-2010, 04:33 PM
suck it.

listopencil
09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
The author mentions Harris, who is now questionable iirc, but still a nice article.

Tombstone RJ
09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Hard to argue that the running game does not need work. It's got a ways to go but it looks like it is getting better with each game.

Durango
09-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Hard to argue that the running game does not need work. It's got a ways to go but it looks like it is getting better with each game.

It's getting better..how? Against the Jaguars, Denver averaged about 4 yards a carry. Against Seattle, they averaged a around 2 yards a carry. Buckhalter was an amazing 1.7 ypc, but Moreno really stepped it up at 2.1.

Our running game is a joke right now.

Tombstone RJ
09-23-2010, 06:43 PM
It's getting better..how? Against the Jaguars, Denver averaged about 4 yards a carry. Against Seattle, they averaged a around 2 yards a carry. Buckhalter was an amazing 1.7 ypc, but Moreno really stepped it up at 2.1.

It looks better than last year to me.

Durango
09-23-2010, 07:34 PM
It looks better than last year to me.

Really?

In game 1 of last year, Buckhalter rushed for 5.8 ypc against the Bengals in game 1, and 8.4 ypc against the Browns in week 2.

Moreno continued his torrid pace, with 2.4 ypc in game 1 and 4.4 ypc in game 2.

How could this year possibly look better to you? I'm really curious.

KS Bronco
09-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Indy was dead last last year...

theAPAOps5
09-23-2010, 07:37 PM
The author mentions Harris, who is now questionable iirc, but still a nice article.

On the radio they called him out already.

Clockwork Orange
09-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Josh McDaniels made a franchise player out of Matt Cassel

I'm sorry, I couldn't stop looking at this sentence. In what bizarro world was Matt Cassel ever considered a franchise player by anyone?

theAPAOps5
09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't stop looking at this sentence. In what bizarro world was Matt Cassel ever considered a franchise player by anyone?

Kansas City

Rock Chalk
09-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Kansas City

Clockwork walked right into that one :)

Rock Chalk
09-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Really?

In game 1 of last year, Buckhalter rushed for 5.8 ypc against the Bengals in game 1, and 8.4 ypc against the Browns in week 2.

2.4 is torred, 4.4 is a first down on 3 attempts.

Rock Chalk
09-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Since all you do is complain why don't you save yourself the headache and just stop posting. Better yet, stop breathing you ****ing panty waste of a human being.

It'd be one thing if you had ANYTHING positive to say but you dont.

Tombstone RJ
09-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Really?

Moreno is showing more patience before hitting the hole, last year he was tripping over himself in the backfield, this year he's at least getting to the second level. The oline is still not giving him a lot to work with but it also has it's issues with injuries.

Durango
09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Since all you do is complain why don't you save yourself the headache and just stop posting. Better yet, stop breathing you ****ing panty waste of a human being.

It'd be one thing if you had ANYTHING positive to say but you dont.

Do you talk to your children with that mouth? Absolute filth. Listen jackass, I like a lot of things about the Broncos and the Mane. Moreno isn't one of 'em with the Broncos and you aren't a friend to anyone on the Mane other than some moron who make dumbed down statements like 'he thinks' the running game is getting better, so drain the sand out of your mangina. Friggin creep.

Durango
09-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Moreno is showing more patience before hitting the hole, last year he was tripping over himself in the backfield, this year he's at least getting to the second level. The oline is still not giving him a lot to work with but it also has it's issues with injuries.

The offensive line is in flux, so there is an argument to make there, but Moreno still runs like he has velcro for cleats. Buckhalter just flat out looks worse, or older, not sure which and maybe both. Orton has managed to pick up the slack with some help from a great WR corps, but it won't take a great DC to figure out how to bring this offense to a complete halt.

The Broncos desperately needs that running game right now, if, for no other reason than to eat up clock, because our defense isn't all on the same page yet, and this weekend we may have two rookie corners trying to stop Peyton Manning, as frightening as that sounds.

azbroncfan
09-23-2010, 09:12 PM
How come everytime Denver plays the Colts we think we can run on them and it never happens?

Great13
09-23-2010, 09:49 PM
How come everytime Denver plays the Colts we think we can run on them and it never happens?

Ding ding ding... now here's a question worth answering. Besides the Q. Griffin game and few Mike Bell runs... we've been singing the same tune, but coming up empty. Knowshon & co. better get it going this week. Harris or not... I want to see some yardage being ripped off in chunks.

strafen
09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
How come everytime Denver plays the Colts we think we can run on them and it never happens?Notoriously, the Colts running defense is atrocious.
The reason why we don't run the ball well against them, it is not because we can't, it is because we've never had a comfortable lead that allow us to run the ball more.
We have to pass the ball just to keep pace with their passing and scoring attack.

Hopefully this year McDaniels will not be deferring the ball to Manning like he did last year Ha!

cutthemdown
09-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Broncos won't be able to run too much because they will need to score a lot. But Colts do suck vs the run so they may have some success.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-23-2010, 10:15 PM
That'll be nice for you guys.

You know, while Manning makes you cry.

Steve Sewell
09-23-2010, 10:20 PM

I'll answer that! Is it Scott Pioli's world?

snowspot66
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Notoriously, the Colts running defense is atrocious.
The reason why we don't run the ball well against them, it is not because we can't, it is because we've never had a comfortable lead that allow us to run the ball more.
We have to pass the ball just to keep pace with their passing and scoring attack.

Hopefully this year McDaniels will not be deferring the ball to Manning like he did last year Ha!

That was a very sound move no matter how much people bitch about it. You take it to start the game and odds are Manning will get the ball with a minute or two left in the half, drive down, score, and then get it to start the second half. The only way to prevent him from having the chance at two momentum shifting drives in a row is to eliminate the possibility of one at the very start.

extralife
09-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't think it'd be "getting back on track" to be able to run against the worst run defense in the NFL. That just means you remembered with direction is forward.

footstepsfrom#27
09-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Last week, the Broncos couldn't even put together three yards per carry between their top two running backs, and so far this season are better than only five teams in overall rushing, averaging a very pedestrian 77 yards per game.
Wow...are there really 5 teams worse off rushing the ball than we are? That's hard to believe. This running game is anemic...true; but why do people act like they didn't expect this? Start rookies and guys who have never played together, even guys playing positions they've never played...this is what you're going to get...in any case the running game is not going to turn around till the line gets healthy and stays together a few games.

listopencil
09-23-2010, 11:32 PM
On the radio they called him out already.

Man, we need to get healthy.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-24-2010, 12:44 AM
You guys need a running back.

vancejohnson82
09-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Durango is another one of these posters that just creeps into every thread and breathes negativity....which is fine, its a free country

however, I think we will have success against Indy this week, on a number of levels. I think we can put pressure on their O-Line (much like the Texans did). I think we will be able to run the ball (Moreno looked a LOT healthier last week). And I think that Wayne and Garcon have been off with Manning the past two weeks....this isnt the 2006 Colts anymore...they looked good last week because the Giants treated them like they were and gave them a 3 man front in a Cover 2 almost all game....The Texans came at them like they were just another 0-0 team....

right now they are 1-1

and so are we..

meangene
09-24-2010, 02:46 AM
You really had to expect the running game would be slow to come around this year. Between injuries to the OL and RB's, and breaking in rookie and first-time starters, it is going to take time for the running game to gel. Despite the stats thus far, I am encouraged the Moreno is healthy and looks to be working himself into shape. I like the addition or Maroney. Walton had a nice game against Seattle. Kupe coming back this week helps. I felt all along this was a make-or-break year for Harris with the injury issues. I am hoping Beadles can establish himself as out future starter there. McD has not given up on the running game - I think we rank 8th in attempts - and I have not either. I expect gradual progress as the season progresses. Playing the Colts should help that.

driver
09-24-2010, 03:15 AM
Durango is another one of these posters that just creeps into every thread and breathes negativity....which is fine, its a free country

however, I think we will have success against Indy this week, on a number of levels. I think we can put pressure on their O-Line (much like the Texans did). I think we will be able to run the ball (Moreno looked a LOT healthier last week). And I think that Wayne and Garcon have been off with Manning the past two weeks....this isnt the 2006 Colts anymore...they looked good last week because the Giants treated them like they were and gave them a 3 man front in a Cover 2 almost all game....The Texans came at them like they were just another 0-0 team....

right now they are 1-1

and so are we..

The truth right there. I hope McD ins't dumb enuogh to completely change everything just for the Colts. Most of the posters on this thread would have all ready lost this game because they let the Colts and Manning into their heads, doing things to counter or balance the Colts not doing what the team does best.^5

chadta
09-24-2010, 05:13 AM
That was a very sound move no matter how much people b**** about it. You take it to start the game and odds are Manning will get the ball with a minute or two left in the half, drive down, score, and then get it to start the second half. The only way to prevent him from having the chance at two momentum shifting drives in a row is to eliminate the possibility of one at the very start.

i love that move, it works for me in madden so it must be good

cmhargrove
09-24-2010, 06:02 AM
You know, it just doesn't bother me that we might pass to our RB's instead of straight up running so much. Yardage is yardage, and if we can throw a lot of screens and check passes, than so be it.

You should do what you are good at, and all of our RB's can catch. Just beat the defense in front of you, don't press the rushing yards issue.

We actually look better running the ball in "goal to go" and short yardage situations, so as long as we can keep drives going, or punch it in the endzone, this shouldn't be a big issue right now.

oubronco
09-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Wow...are there really 5 teams worse off rushing the ball than we are? That's hard to believe. This running game is anemic...true; but why do people act like they didn't expect this? Start rookies and guys who have never played together, even guys playing positions they've never played...this is what you're going to get...in any case the running game is not going to turn around till the line gets healthy and stays together a few games.

Not to mention it's been 2 games I don't suppose the difference between most teams is small in this time frame

Durango
09-24-2010, 06:21 AM

right now they are 1-1

and so are we..

Now see, that's not fair. The Mane is all perception, and apparently I've been tagged as one of these haters. I'm not. Like everyone else here, my early work week sucks after a bad Bronco loss, but then I can't wait for things to right themselves the next Sunday.

I like Kyle Orton and his progress with this offense very much. I always have and have said so many times. I love this new WR corps and was very happy how the whole Marshall trade played out. Not so much with the Cutler trade. I think our defensive secondary may develop to become the best this franchise has seen since the Orange Crush days.

Most importantly, I know most people here couldn't care less what I think. I suppose I took for granted that I could simply voice my frustrations, but that has obviously translated as 'hate'. I'm sorry for that. I will choose my words more carefully in the future.

Dagmar
09-24-2010, 06:26 AM

Nah, we have one, you guys need a QB.

Cito Pelon
09-24-2010, 07:07 AM
The offensive line is in flux, so there is an argument to make there, but Moreno still runs like he has velcro for cleats. Buckhalter just flat out looks worse, or older, not sure which and maybe both. Orton has managed to pick up the slack with some help from a great WR corps, but it won't take a great DC to figure out how to bring this offense to a complete halt.

The Broncos desperately needs that running game right now, if, for no other reason than to eat up clock, because our defense isn't all on the same page yet, and this weekend we may have two rookie corners trying to stop Peyton Manning, as frightening as that sounds.

Why do you keep posting this kind of crap? Shock value, I guess . . .

Marshall Dumervil
09-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Any update on Maroney? It would be nice to have him available this week.

Dagmar
09-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Any update on Maroney? It would be nice to have him available this week.

It looks like he will play this weekend.

baja
09-24-2010, 07:32 AM
The truth right there. I hope McD ins't dumb enough to completely change everything just for the Colts. Most of the posters on this thread would have all ready lost this game because they let the Colts and Manning into their heads,<b> doing things to counter or balance the Colts not doing what the team does best.^5

Do you recall Josh has always proclaimed his plan is to have smart versatile football players that can be adapted to challenge the weaknesses of their opponent every week. We are (reportedly) not a team that has a set way of playing the game each 7 every week and I for one like the concept.

This is why this particular game will be so interesting to watch. We get to see Josh's claims in action. Granted he doesn't have all the personal he would like and has some key people injured but we should see some of the promised innovation.

Steve Sewell
09-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Do you recall Josh has always proclaimed his plan is to have smart versatile football players that can be adapted to challenge the weaknesses of their opponent every week. We are (reportedly) not a team that has a set way of playing the game each 7 every week and I for one like the concept.

This is why this particular game will be so interesting to watch. We get to see Josh's claims in action. Granted he doesn't have all the personal he would like and has some key people injured but we should see some of the promised innovation.

I encourage everyone to watch McD's press conferences from Wed and Thurs.

He says that the Colts are different from every team in the league. He said it doesn't matter who wins time of possession, he said its more important to score touchdowns. So we may see a game plan that isn't so much about running the ball and keeping it out of Manning's hands. The Broncos are a PASSING TEAM right now. That is our strength. I just have this feeling that they are going to be slinging it all day long and simply try to score on every possession, because you have to assume that Manning is going to do the same.

I like our chances in this game because 1) we're at home, 2) its on grass, 3) i feel that our offense can keep up with Indy's in the home environment as long as we don't turtle with a running game, and 4) I don't feel like Indy's defense is any better than ours, and in fact I think it could be worse.

Then again all of this could be a smoke screen from Josh, who knows? But he was pretty emphatic about beating the Colts by outscoring them, not by trying to limit their time of possession. This should be a very, very high scoring game. If you're a betting man, go with the over on this one.

oubronco
09-24-2010, 09:54 AM
I just hope it's entertaining and close and we win

Archer81
09-24-2010, 09:59 AM

And WR's and maybe a few TE's and some interior linemen...

But they have Charles.

Championship!

:Broncos:

oubronco
09-24-2010, 10:00 AM
And WR's and maybe a few TE's and some interior linemen...

But they have Charles.

Championship!

:Broncos:

Who gets 10-15 touches a game LOL

hookemhess
09-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Except that Knowshon isn't playing Sunday.

@Denver_Broncos
Head Coach Josh McDaniels: Ryan Harris and Knowshon Moreno will not play on Sunday. He is hopeful Andre' Goodman and Champ Bailey will. #fb

baja
09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
I encourage everyone to watch McD's press conferences from Wed and Thurs.

He says that the Colts are different from every team in the league. He said it doesn't matter who wins time of possession, he said its more important to score touchdowns. So we may see a game plan that isn't so much about running the ball and keeping it out of Manning's hands. The Broncos are a PASSING TEAM right now. That is our strength. I just have this feeling that they are going to be slinging it all day long and simply try to score on every possession, because you have to assume that Manning is going to do the same.

I like our chances in this game because 1) we're at home, 2) its on grass, 3) i feel that our offense can keep up with Indy's in the home environment as long as we don't turtle with a running game, and 4) I don't feel like Indy's is any better than ours, and in fact I think it could be worse.

Then again all of this could be a smoke screen from Josh, who knows? But he was pretty emphatic about beating the Colts by outscoring them, not by trying to limit their time of possession. This should be a very, very high scoring game. If you're a betting man, go with the over on this one.

This game will come down to Wink Martindale and the ability of his players to out think Manning or at least give him confusing looks to force him into mistakes.

BTW you could have linked the presser. ;D

baja
09-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Except that Knowshon isn't playing Sunday.

@Denver_Broncos
Head Coach Josh McDaniels: Ryan Harris and Knowshon Moreno will not play on Sunday. He is hopeful Andre' Goodman and Champ Bailey will. #fb

Damn, where did you see this?

Steve Sewell
09-24-2010, 10:24 AM
This game will come down to Wink Martindale and the ability of his players to out think Manning or at least give him confusing looks to force him into mistakes.

BTW you could have linked the presser. ;D

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Week-3---Thursday-McDaniels/3fc177fb-ba30-4990-9bcb-dd27869ed5e8#?id=3fc177fb-ba30-4990-9bcb-dd27869ed5e8

Bronco Yoda
09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
You know, it just doesn't bother me that we might pass to our RB's instead of straight up running so much. Yardage is yardage, and if we can throw a lot of screens and check passes, than so be it.

You should do what you are good at, and all of our RB's can catch. Just beat the defense in front of you, don't press the rushing yards issue.

We actually look better running the ball in "goal to go" and short yardage situations, so as long as we can keep drives going, or punch it in the endzone, this shouldn't be a big issue right now.

I can go with that for now. But at some point we're going to need to fix the problem.

Tom A Hawk
09-24-2010, 11:59 AM
no you don't

baja
09-24-2010, 12:18 PM
no you don't

You're right we have 3.

snowspot66
09-24-2010, 12:23 PM
no you don't

Comeback of the year! OH SNAP!

Kaylore
09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
A Chief fan talking QB smack? I'd take all three of our QB's over any of theirs easily. In fact I would take Gradkowski over Cassel. And despite what Tom A Hawk suggests, most Chief fans know their QB sucks.

broncosteven
09-24-2010, 12:54 PM
A Chief fan talking QB smack? I'd take all three of our QB's over any of theirs easily. In fact I would take Gradkowski over Cassel. And despite what Tom A Hawk suggests, most Chief fans know their QB sucks.

Does KFC still have the Winless wonder on their squad or is Brodie on another team looking for his 1st NFL win?

azbroncfan
09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Notoriously, the Colts running defense is atrocious.

Thats the notion and Denver always had a good to great running game. Outside of Q and a few Henry/Bell runs Denver tried to pound the rock and pounded it to predictable passing situations because the Colts stopped us. After a couple three and outs Colts had big lead and leads to their strength. I honestly think there is no chance for Denver to win this game this weekend outside of the Colts puking on themselves.

cutthemdown
09-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Broncos may use Tebow some since he has a good size advantage over colts small run defenders. Maybe some tricky stuff Sunday who knows. Safe to say we know what colts will be doing. Maybe a 50/10 run pass ratio.

Dagmar
09-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Broncos may use Tebow some since he has a good size advantage over colts small run defenders. Maybe some tricky stuff Sunday who knows. Safe to say we know what colts will be doing. Maybe a 50/10 run pass ratio.

Someone mentioned it before this week but I expect this game to be similar to the NE game last year, Josh pulling out all the tricks. Whether it'll be enough against Manning I have no idea!

broncosteven
09-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Time to break out the Te-CAT and drop some TD's (Tebow Downs) on their Azzzes!

That's what I am talking about.

TomServo
09-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Someone mentioned it before this week but I expect this game to be similar to the NE game last year, Josh pulling out all the tricks. Whether it'll be enough against Manning I have no idea!

that game where brady still sucked after his knee injury? that game where he missed two easy touchdowns? that game where our coach danced around the field like a schoolgirl? or the dallas game where Romo and orton played their typical crappy game but B. marshall bailed us out?

Ugly Duck
09-26-2010, 01:03 AM

They have Moreno.

Oh, wait.... he's out...

Gort
09-26-2010, 02:08 AM
I want to see some yardage being ripped off in chunks.

unfortunately, Manning and his receivers will happily comply.

:coltstink

Gort
09-26-2010, 02:15 AM
Despite the stats thus far, I am encouraged the Moreno is healthy and looks to be working himself into shape...

...for "Dancing with the Stars" maybe.

wacca wacca.

did you see that? did you see what i did there? i took your comment and made a joke out of it!

thanks. i'll be here all week. don't forget to tip your waitress.

http://totalfootblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/fozzie-bear.jpg