PDA

View Full Version : Eric Decker - where he at?

mwill07
09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
2 games, no catches, after leading the league in catches in pre-season.

Has Decker even been in on an offensive play yet? The only time I can recall seeing him is in on special teams.

Any news?

gtown
09-22-2010, 06:52 PM
I've seen him on STs quite a few times and most of the time he is getting washed out of the play. Not really his forte though. Haven't seen him lined up for any offensive plays though.

Tombstone RJ
09-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Not sure where Decker has been...

oubronco
09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Ask little Ronnie

baja
Surely he's a bust, right?

Dagmar
He's a rookie. Our WR aren't exactly scrubs.

SoCalBronco
09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
When McCaffrey was a rookie in 1991, he didn't start any games for the Giants and caught only 16 passes all year....so I'm not sure why people would be up in arms about Decker not producing yet.

baja
09-22-2010, 06:57 PM
When McCaffrey was a rookie in 1991, he didn't start any games for the Giants and caught only 16 passes all year....so I'm not sure why people would be up in arms about Decker not producing, yet.

So are you comparing him the Eddie Mac?

SoCalBronco
09-22-2010, 07:01 PM

No...not at all, not by any means, whatsoever. Personally, I see no similarities between them at all.

Decker compares more favorably to someone like......Santana Moss.

Dedhed
09-22-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't think he's been on the field for an offensive snap that I've seen, but I could be wrong. Not worried about it.

I wouldn't expect many rookie WRs to take snaps from veteran guys, particularly when they're producing so well.

mwill07
09-22-2010, 07:08 PM
When McCaffrey was a rookie in 1991, he didn't start any games for the Giants and caught only 16 passes all year....so I'm not sure why people would be up in arms about Decker not producing yet.

I'm not up in arms by any means....I've been more than happy with our WR production so far. Just curious is all.

baja
09-22-2010, 07:10 PM
No...not at all, not by any means, whatsoever. Personally, I see no similarities between them at all.

Decker compares more favorably to someone like......Santana Moss.

Oh.... I see

tsiguy96
09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
because hes not better than lloyd OR gaffney right now, so he shouldnt be in.

McDman
09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Did you know he's white, just like Ed?

SoCalBronco
09-22-2010, 07:22 PM
In all seriousness, I am EXTREMELY excited about Eric Decker. He did some real good work in the preseason despite being in rehab most of the offseason. We are pretty deep at WR right now, so its going to take him a little while to crack into the regular rotation, but this guy will get some work in the next few weeks I bet. Part of the problem is that he appears to be practicing at slot reciever (that's where his depth chart listing is) and ofcourse he's behind the great Eddie Royal, but one thing I would like to occasionally see is a four WR no TE one back formation (Run and Shoot style) so we could have two slot WR's in the game and force the defense either to bring in both the nickel and dime corner (run vs. only one true LB on the field) or have one of the slot recievers covered by a LB or safety.

Decker will be a good player for this team pretty soon. Coach McDaniels did a great job with his WR selections this year.

Drek
09-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Thomas had to move all around the field to get his touches last week. He was only targeted 9 times and turned it into 8 catches for 97 yards and a touchdown.

When a guy who does that is working as our 4th WR at this point do you really think Decker is going to have an easy time getting on the field?

I'm sure he'll see opportunities as the season goes on, but as long as Gaffney and Royal stay healthy Decker would need to explode late to get more than 10-15 catches and ~150 yards by the end of the year. His value will become apparent when he replaces Gaffney long term.

baja
09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
In all seriousness, I am EXTREMELY excited about Eric Decker. He did some real good work in the preseason despite being in rehab most of the offseason. We are pretty deep at WR right now, so its going to take him a little while to crack into the regular rotation, but this guy will get some work in the next few weeks I bet. Part of the problem is that he appears to be practicing at slot reciever (that's where his depth chart listing is) and ofcourse he's behind the great Eddie Royal, but one thing I would like to occasionally see is a four WR no TE one back formation (Run and Shoot style) so we could have two slot WR's in the game and force the defense either to bring in both the nickel and dime corner (run vs. only one true LB on the field) or have one of the slot recievers covered by a LB or safety.

<b>Decker will be a good player for this team pretty soon. Coach McDaniels did a great job with his WR selections this year.

Fancy that!

Drek
09-22-2010, 07:34 PM
but one thing I would like to occasionally see is a four WR no TE one back formation (Run and Shoot style) so we could have two slot WR's in the game and force the defense either to bring in both the nickel and dime corner (run vs. only one true LB on the field) or have one of the slot recievers covered by a LB or safety.

I'd really like to see McDaniels mix in a little Hawai'i style pistol/run and shoot 4 WR, 1 back formations when we have both Clady and Harris healthy.

I'd like to see Tebow running it even more. I think going big with 21 and 22 personnel detracts from Tebow's ability to make plays when we use him. Go single back with 3 and 4 wide, spread the defense out and take linebackers off the field. Then let him run over corners and safeties. We should mask Tebow's "gimmick" plays within the formation of our base offense if we want it to be truly effective.

baja
09-22-2010, 07:39 PM
I'd really like to see McDaniels mix in a little Hawai'i style pistol/run and shoot 4 WR, 1 back formations when we have both Clady and Harris healthy.

I'd like to see Tebow running it even more. I think going big with 21 and 22 personnel detracts from Tebow's ability to make plays when we use him. Go single back with 3 and 4 wide, spread the defense out and take linebackers off the field. Then let him run over corners and safeties. We should mask Tebow's "gimmick" plays within the formation of our base offense if we want it to be truly effective.

This would be a great week to see us some Tebow.

SoCalBronco
09-22-2010, 07:44 PM

I'd like to see Tebow running it even more. .

There's an idea. You know...McDaniels said from now on when he wants to use Tebow, he will keep Orton on the field at the same time, so perhaps Tebow can BE the pistol back behind Orton.

Opposing LB at the sight of Tebow with 7 yards worth of acceleration (prior to initial contact) after getting a handoff from Orton deep in the backfield:

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/127adfe71e4f35966c199680e5c494ea5g.jpg

baja
09-22-2010, 07:46 PM
It is a good idea - sure would eat some clock too

briane
09-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I saw him fall down three times on special teams....

gyldenlove
09-22-2010, 08:00 PM
I am guessing he is home right now.

Right now he is sitting behind this guy called Eddie Royal who has been all kinds of clutch, no real reason to mess with success.

WABronco
09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
I like Eric. He'll be a good receiver for some team some day. It's just disappointing so far...he's falling into that trend of failed mid-round receivers with his extreme lack of production.

tsiguy96
09-22-2010, 08:07 PM
I like Eric. He'll be a good receiver for some team some day. It's just disappointing so far...he's falling into that trend of failed mid-round receivers with his extreme lack of production.

LOL

as we get into game 3 of the 2010 season.

Archer81
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
You know...if Decker is playing alot right now, that means 1. someone is hurt. 2. the guys in front of him are not producing.

So...since neither is happening...he can sit. Hardly means the dude is a bust. Believe it or not...we have pretty damn good wr depth.

:Broncos:

fdf
09-22-2010, 08:17 PM

It's the second game. He's a rookie. We have good wides ahead of him. Good enough that it's going to take someone truly exceptional, or injuries, for him to get much playing time. Thomas is truly exceptional.

Heck, rookies do well to make the active roster most games. He will stay active if he improves on ST. Then he's there and can play if there's an injury. I think "extreme lack of production" is somewhat extreme.

WABronco
09-22-2010, 08:20 PM
LOL

as we get into game 3 of the 2010 season.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8995/68128461.jpg

stats don't lie

Archer81
09-22-2010, 08:23 PM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8995/68128461.jpg

stats don't lie

http://tinyurl.com/2dtnloe

WABronco
09-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Ok ok...jesus you guys. Saying that there's reason for concern for our rookie 5th/6th wideout after two games is beyond ridiculous. When I'm trying to be a super troll nerd, just ignore please.

broncofan2438
09-22-2010, 08:25 PM
MCD will work him in slowly. Its only the second week and we saw what DT could do. Maybe this is Deckers week? I have a feeling he becomes a big part of our passing offense, but in due time. Patience

Archer81
09-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Ok ok...jesus you guys. Saying that there's reason for concern for our rookie 5th/6th wideout after two games is beyond ridiculous. When I'm trying to be a super troll nerd, just ignore please.

In the name of Tebow, the most High, I forgive thee.

The Joker
09-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Surprised to hear he's been working in the slot, he seems like a much more natural outside receiver.

He'll come in and take snaps away from Gaffney eventually is my guess. Jabar has done a good job and is a solid possession receiver but in truth he's not a player who is generally going to worry defenses too much. Only ever scored more than 2 TD's in a season once (as part of that offense in NE that broke all sorts of records). Decker has the size to be a much more potent redzone threat, if he manages to earn some increased PT I'll be excited to see what he can do.

I do like having Gaffney on the team though, I must say. Seems a complete professional in everything he does, and can line up in the slot as well as on the outside. If Decker can step up and take over as the starter, Gaffney will be a great utility man to have in reserve as he'll be able to come in and spell anyone. In the meantime, he's a solid starter.

FireFly
09-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Who was that other WR that was playing really well in preseason? I think it was a rookie?

Borks147
09-22-2010, 09:14 PM

roflfacepalmomg

MABroncoFan
09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Who was that other WR that was playing really well in preseason? I think it was a rookie?

Willis

SouthStndJunkie
09-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Our WRs are playing lights out right now....I'm very impressed with the entire group.

Someone will get dinged up during the course of the year and Decker will get his chance.

This is a good time for Decker to continue to learn the offense and get 100% healthy.

I'm sure he will get his opportunity to show what he can do at some point this season.

broncocalijohn
09-22-2010, 10:39 PM
because hes not better than lloyd OR gaffney right now, so he shouldnt be in.

exactly. WHo would he take the place of? Seems our WR have done everything asked of them so unless we are going for the hail mary and need him in the endzone. He will get his turn.

Durango
09-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Our WRs are playing lights out right now.

Someone will get dinged up during the course of the year and Decker will get his chance.

This is a good time for Decker to continue to learn the offense and get 100% healthy.

I'm sure he will get his opportunity to show what he can do at some point this season.

No Kidding. Gaffney, Decker, Royal, LLoyd, Thomas, Willis, and don't forget Graham. This group is potentially explosive. If we can get that running game just up to average, this offense will be everything McDaniels wanted to put in place.

cmhargrove
09-23-2010, 05:41 AM

Actually, he's a tall man's Peyton Hillis.

misturanderson
09-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Decker was out there. I remember seeing him in some 3 or 4 WR sets in the red zone. I think he may have been in during the play that Royal scored.

baja
09-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Actually, he's a tall man's Peyton Hillis.

Decker scored the highest on the Wonderlic test of any player this year so I can see where you'd make that comparison.

;D

Beantown Bronco
09-23-2010, 07:40 AM
I asked Mrs. Bean where Decker was at the other day. She told me he's been in her dreams.

There you have it.

Steve Sewell
09-23-2010, 07:47 AM
There's an idea. You know...McDaniels said from now on when he wants to use Tebow, he will keep Orton on the field at the same time, so perhaps Tebow can BE the pistol back behind Orton.

Opposing LB at the sight of Tebow with 7 yards worth of acceleration (prior to initial contact) after getting a handoff from Orton deep in the backfield:

I know people don't like Ray Ray too much around here, but I wouldn't pull this **** vs. the Ravens.

jhns
09-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Rookie receivers need time. Marshall didn't get many catches in the first half of his rookie season. Guys that produce early are not the norm.

Royal had one of the best ever rookie seasons for a receiver. If Thomas can manage the same type of performance, I have a feeling that rookie receivers are going to have a hard time winning over fans from here on. They will all be busts for not getting 80 catches and 1000 yards as rookies.

Steve Sewell
09-23-2010, 07:57 AM
I have successfully resisted the urge to start a "Matt Willis - where he be at??" thread.

baja
09-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I have successfully resisted the urge to start a "Matt Willis - where he be at??" thread.

I hear he is busy blowing his coverage on Special Teams.

55CrushEm
09-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Royal had one of the best ever rookie seasons for a receiver.

That is correct. I believe he is 2nd all time for number of receptions in a rookie season.....

1. Anquan Boldin, Arizona Cardinals, 101 receptions, 2003
2. Eddie Royal, Denver Broncos, 91 receptions, 2008
3. Terry Glenn, New England Patriots, 90 receptions, 1993

I think....

PRBronco
09-23-2010, 08:13 AM
I can't believe this thread was created. /palmface

bronco militia
09-23-2010, 08:14 AM
everytime I see him he's the guy ****ing up on kick coverage teams

Que
09-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Did you know he's white, just like Ed?

Why didn't I get the memo?

Beantown Bronco
09-23-2010, 08:30 AM

Shockingly NOT in Mrs. Bean's dreams.

baja
09-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Like she woud tell you. ;D

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Bust! Bust! Bust!

baja
09-23-2010, 08:41 AM

BTW did you see the (older) movie "Heat" ?

I recently re-watched it.

One of the best acting scenes I have seen in a while was the coffee shop 'across the table' conversation between DeNero and Pachino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oTNNjRuqbE

crowebomber
09-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I haven't seen him on the field much, but I was at the grocery store and saw this!

Beantown Bronco
09-23-2010, 08:46 AM
BTW did you see the (older) movie "Heat" ?

I recently re-watched it.

One of the best acting scenes I have seen in a while was the coffee shop 'across the table' conversation between DeNero and Pachino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oTNNjRuqbE

Definitely a classic. I think it's an unofficial OMane tossup as far as favorite one-one-one scenes go between that scene and the Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken scene in True Romance.

baja
09-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Definitely a classic. I think it's an unofficial OMane tossup as far as favorite one-one-one scenes go between that scene and the Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken scene in True Romance.

I'll have to check that thread out what's the title, you remember?

Beantown Bronco
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I'll have to check that thread out what's the title, you remember?

Damn. Took a little while, but I found it. Here you go:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91297

Kaylore
09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
The best thing about a deep position is they all push each other and the competition breeds excellence.

baja
09-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks!

I tried to watch on line the movie 'Michael Clayton' that you brought up in McD thread but they don't offer it on line. Too bad it sounds like something I would enjoy.

Ever see 'King Corn" ?

baja
09-23-2010, 09:23 AM
The best thing about a deep position is they all push each other and the competition breeds excellence.

Errr, are we talking about football here? ;D

baja
09-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Damn. Took a little while, but I found it. Here you go:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91297

I think you linked the wrong thread. This link takes me to the Myrtle Beach thread. ;D

Beantown Bronco
09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
:)

baja
09-23-2010, 09:31 AM
:)

Beeach. And here I was feeling all appreciative and shiit. ;D