PDA

View Full Version : Any good teams in the AFC?

ZachKC
09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
This feels like a pretty strange conference, as if the whole conference is filled with 8-8 type teams and there are not a lot of good teams.

Were the Jets that overhyped?

The Colts still seem like a really strong team that will stand up above the rest.

I don't think the Texans fall off a whole lot. They seem like the real deal but a lot of people do think they will fade.

Can Pitt keep winning just relying on that D?

Chargers? Pats? Ravens?

Does the make up of this conference surprise anyone else? Obviously the season is early and everything tends to shake out as it should but I can't remember there being so many question marks as a whole.

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/afc.gif

DomCasual
09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Don't come in here talking trash, you little douche.

I kid.

:wave:

ZachKC
09-22-2010, 12:40 PM
This whole thread title thing is baffling...it won't take any version of thread title that describes what is inside. Ha.

Steve Sewell
09-22-2010, 12:46 PM
http://threadbombing.com/data/media/30/fail_thread.jpg

ZachKC
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
http://threadbombing.com/data/thumbnails/30/fail_thread.jpg

What kind of magic does one have to conjure to make a thread title for a thread.

Popps
09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I think the Ravens are going to be contenders. They're still getting their offense in sync. Once they do, they'll be a tough team to beat.

Indy is still a question mark, to me. Obviously a great offense, but they were handled fairly easily by Texas in week 1. I also suspect their running game isn't top flight.

I haven't gotten to see the Texans play, but it looks like they've built a complete team down there, which is what it takes, imo.

The Steelers will clearly be playoff team. They're a couple weeks from getting Fatty Rapes-a-lot back. He'll instantly make them a playoff team.

I'm not buying into the Pats or Jets as viable contenders. Good teams... yes.

San Diego will probably win the division on the back of Rivers, and then crap out in the playoffs.

Steve Sewell
09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
What kind of magic does one have to conjure to make a thread title for a thread.

heh search for a post by Kaylore on how to post on the Omane. There's a reason I don't start threads!

mkporter
09-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Edit your first post, them click the button "Go Advanced"

Steve Sewell
09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
I think the Ravens are going to be contenders. They're still getting their offense in sync. Once they do, they'll be a tough team to beat.

Indy is still a question mark, to me. Obviously a great offense, but they were handled fairly easily by Texas in week 1. I also suspect their running game isn't top flight.

I haven't gotten to see the Texans play, but it looks like they've built a complete team down there, which is what it takes, imo.

The Steelers will clearly be playoff team. They're a couple weeks from getting Fatty Rapes-a-lot back. He'll instantly make them a playoff team.

I'm not buying into the Pats or Jets as viable contenders. Good teams... yes.

San Diego will probably win the division on the back of Rivers, and then crap out in the playoffs.

I think this is San Diego's last year to get something done.

I think the Stillers will probably be the team to beat this year, as much as it pains me to say it.

Being the homer that I am, I think the Broncos will go to the playoffs this year if we can get and stay healthy.

ZachKC
09-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Edit your first post, them click the button "Go Advanced"

Awesome. Thanks!

mkporter
09-22-2010, 01:00 PM
This feels like a pretty strange conference, as if the whole conference is filled with 8-8 type teams and there are not a lot of good teams.

The Colts still seem like a really strong team that will stand up above the rest.

I don't think the Texans fall off a whole lot. They seem like the real deal but a lot of people do think they will fade.

Chargers? Pats? Ravens?

Does the make up of this conference surprise anyone else? Obviously the season is early and everything tends to shake out as it should but I can't remember there being so many question marks as a whole.

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/afc.gif

The Jets were clearly over hyped. They were 9-7 last year by virtue of the Colts and Bengals laying down at the end of last year. They made a nice run in the playoffs, but they were a 7-9 or 8-8 team last year. Very good defense, but pretty suspect QB and receivers. Not saying they won't be good, but definitely over hyped.

I think the Steelers might be very tough to beat once Big Ben is back. Houston looks to be for real, and Indy will be there at the end like always. I don't know that the Bolts have it in them for a run. They kind of feel like the Patriots to me right now. Good enough to beat anybody, but not good enough to count on it.

broncocalijohn
09-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Steelers are doing it without their star QB. They are for real....again. Ravens will be as well as those SD Chargers. Colts will probably show us why they are one of the top AFC teams again. 2 games in so dont get all punch drunk. Especially your Chiefs. Enjoy 2 and 0. Lucky for you, most teams that go on the road after a MNF game, lose and SF is that team.

Mediator12
09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
The first 4 weeks usually seperate the good from the bad teams. Still need to see who is alive after that. Right now, their have been some upsets, but this is usally when teams that make big changes get their shocker games.

Still some really good teams in the AFC, just a lot of situational reasons why they have not played so well this far.

Kaylore
09-22-2010, 01:18 PM
It's early but for good teams I'd say: Hous, Indy, Pitt, NE, NY. Could be: Chargers, Bengals, Ravens, Dolphins, Jaguars.

There are definitely a lot of transition teams this year; Some are listed above.

Drek
09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Yes. Are you surprised? They backed into the playoffs last year, largely thanks to Denver going 2-8 over the last 10, and caught a bunch of good breaks in the playoffs that made them look competitive.

Their team has no discipline, their offense has no legitimate weapons. The two big vet leaders on the offense were let go (Thomas Jones and Faneca).

Don't know why people thought they were going to show up and look like a powerhouse all of a sudden.

They're without Sanders yet again and their front seven has been exposed as unable to handle the run. Manning and his receivers can carry them quite a ways, but they look like a worse match up for a well rounded playoff opponent than they did last year.

All depends on that secondary for them. The front seven has talent, the offense is dangerous in all phases. There is no reason they shouldn't be a playoff team this year, but once they get into the dance the secondary needs to make sure an elite QB doesn't bust a nut all over their face.

As long as they avoid teams that can pass the football at an elite level. Polamalu makes their D great, and the antics of Bendalf the Grey have the defense looking to reassert themselves as the guiding force of the franchise. I think their defense will ultimately be proven weak against a passing attack that can pick their corners apart in the short to intermediate range, negating their pass rush and keeping Polamalu as nothing more than a backup tackler. To do that you need a smart, efficient QB and WRs who create separation with limited space. Indy can do this, so can New England. Denver might, Miami has the WR in Marshall, so if Henne steps up they'll do well. Baltimore has all the pieces except the QB in place too. Won't be an easy road for Pittsburgh even with king sleeze back at QB.

Chargers? Pats? Ravens?
Defense looks average at best, same, QB needs to show he's worthy of having all that high priced talent stacked around him.

Its early and a lot of teams are hitting transitional points at the same time on various units.

People need to keep an eye on the Dolphins though. Marshall hasn't had a big game yet, but that's Brandon. He's average for weeks at a time and then drops a monster game with unbelievable plays to help win games when needed most. Henne is quickly becoming an impressive QB. The D is obviously a top 10 unit, very possibly a top 5 unit. And most importantly, they run the ball like no one else in the AFC with their tag team of Ronnie and Ricky. Not a team anyone should look forward to playing and if you get them at home you might get drubbed.

boltaneer
09-22-2010, 01:35 PM
The teams that always scare me are the ones with good defenses and so far the Steelers and the Ravens are standing out for me. Jets too but their offense is such garbage that they're going to have to prove it more than one week for me.

It's way too early though. We'll know much better how the AFC stacks up by the middle of the season.

HAT
09-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Not much has changed from my pre-season expectations....

NYJ & NE fight it out in the East.

3 way slug-fest in the North. Too early to crown Pitt & too early to write off Balty.

2 way shoot-out down South. Jags & Tenn may look okay from one week to the next but Indy/Houston should both get DD wins.

Coin-flip in the West between Denver & SD. Division probably decided by a tie-breaker.

I will be floored if the 6 PO teams are made up of any other team than the above 9.

Taking nothing away from Miami & KC....a 2-0 start is a 2-0 start but if you look deeper into the box scores or watched those 4 games it is clear that they do not have staying power.

HAT
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Not getting the Miami love at all....They will be fortunate to have 4 wins by mid-November.

Minny clearly out-played them..Favre just **** the bed at key moments.

Miami's upcoming schedule is utterly brutal....

NYJ
NE
@ GB
Pitt
@ Cin
@ Balt
Tenn

ZachKC
09-22-2010, 01:48 PM

3 way slug-fest in the North. Too early to crown Pitt & too early to write off Balty.

2 way shoot-out down South. Jags & Tenn may look okay from one week to the next but Indy/Houston should both get DD wins.

Coin-flip in the West between Denver & SD. Division probably decided by a tie-breaker.

I will be floored if the 6 PO teams are made up of any other team than the above 9.

Taking nothing away from Miami & KC....a 2-0 start is a 2-0 start but if you look deeper into the box scores or watched those 4 games it is clear that they do not have staying power.

Ya know, we do play in the AFC West.

outdoor_miner
09-22-2010, 01:56 PM
We'll know much better how the AFC stacks up by the middle of the season.

Ya don't say!?!?!? Well, I think we'll know even better how the AFC stacks up after the season is over.

I kid, I kid... :sunshine:

HAT
09-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Ya know, we do play in the AFC West.

I'm not automatically just writing KC off b/c I'm a Bronco fan Zach.

The Jets have shown that a team with a truly elite & complete defense can overcome even a brutal offense.

KC looks to be turning it around on D, no doubt, but they are far from elite.

Congrats on the 2-0 start but winning your home opener in the rain off of a few home-runs & struggling to beat Cleveland does not a play-off season make.

I expect SF to blow them out this week just because of the circumstances. After that I think they will be fairly competitive at home vs. the mid to lower tier teams.

6-7 wins is their ceiling IMO and I'd be ecstatic with that kind of step forward if I were a Chief fan.

TheChamp24
09-22-2010, 02:12 PM

I would be absolutely shocked if Denver and San Diego comes down to a tie-breaker.
Heck I'll be shocked if we win 9 games.

ZachKC
09-22-2010, 02:21 PM

The Jets have shown that a team with a truly elite & complete defense can overcome even a brutal offense.

Congrats on the 2-0 start but winning your home opener in the rain off of a few home-runs & struggling to beat Cleveland does not a play-off season make.

I expect SF to blow them out this week just because of the circumstances. After that I think they will be fairly competitive at home vs. the mid to lower tier teams.

6-7 wins is their ceiling IMO and I'd be ecstatic with that kind of step forward if I were a Chief fan.

Nobody is calling them elite.

But they have two wins with games left against the Broncos (2), Raiders (2), Jags, Bills.

6-7 as a ceiling?

Rock Chalk
09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Way too early for this convo but based on the limited data available the only truly elite team I see in the AFC is Houston.

Their only glaring weakness is their secondary but their front seven is one of the best front sevens in football and they dont even have Cushing in there yet. Their offense is pretty damn remarkable as well and if Arian Foster is able to be consistent this year they are going to be a tough out for any team in the league.

Indy's defense sans Bob Sanders is highly suspect.

Baltimore is still Baltimore, meaning anywhere from 8-10 wins depending on how the ball bounces.

The Jets showed some offensive promise this past week against NE, and their defense is nasty but Im still not 100% convinced their offense is going to just be good every week.

Outside of that its a bunch of really average to slightly above average teams, including the entire AFC West.

Rock Chalk
09-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Nobody is calling them elite.

But they have two wins with games left against the Broncos (2), Raiders (2), Jags, Bills.

6-7 as a ceiling?

Yeah, because KC wont sweep either Oakland or Denver, and will likely split with the Jags and Bills. Thats at best 3 wins right there.

JMO.

Black96WS6
09-22-2010, 02:26 PM

I'm an Orange Mane poster, and I agree with this message.

PRBronco
09-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Way too early for this convo but based on the limited data available the only truly elite team I see in the AFC is Houston.

Their only glaring weakness is their secondary but their front seven is one of the best front sevens in football and they dont even have Cushing in there yet. Their offense is pretty damn remarkable as well and if Arian Foster is able to be consistent this year they are going to be a tough out for any team in the league.

Indy's defense sans Bob Sanders is highly suspect.

Baltimore is still Baltimore, meaning anywhere from 8-10 wins depending on how the ball bounces.

The Jets showed some offensive promise this past week against NE, and their defense is nasty but Im still not 100% convinced their offense is going to just be good every week.

Outside of that its a bunch of really average to slightly above average teams, including the entire AFC West.

Houston's starting LT just got himself a 4 game suspension though didn't he? I dunno who their backup is, but I'm curious to see how much that hurts them.

Rock Chalk
09-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Houston's starting LT just got himself a 4 game suspension though didn't he? I dunno who their backup is, but I'm curious to see how much that hurts them.

It should increase the pressures per play on Schaub but this isn't some young kid either. He's pretty crafty and Im sure they will give help to the left side until the suspension is lifted. That still leaves Schaub time enough to throw up a jump ball to the beast known as Andre and you still have Foster in the backfield.

Like I said its way too early to have this convo though and lots can change over the next few weeks.

bronclvr
09-22-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm an Orange Mane poster, and I agree with this message.

Love your Avatar-^5

Black96WS6
09-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Love your Avatar-^5

Not as much as I love yours!! ;)

KCStud
09-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Honestly, the Chargers are starting to fade. They have an elite QB, but the talent surrounding him has significantly decreased.
No Vincent Jackson, the front 7 isn't scaring anybody anymore, Buster Davis is a bust and the OL is average at best without McNeill.

That's funny because KC is the opposite. KC is getting more and more talented every year as a team but the QB is still holding us back. Give KC a decent QB and we are a playoff team IMO.

WolfpackGuy
09-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I'd have to say the Ravens will be right there again once they get back to using Rice.

They're basically outsmarting themselves on offense at this point.

boltaneer
09-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Honestly, the Chargers are starting to fade. They have an elite QB, but the talent surrounding him has significantly decreased.
No Vincent Jackson, the front 7 isn't scaring anybody anymore, Buster Davis is a bust and the OL is average at best without McNeill.

That's funny because KC is the opposite. KC is getting more and more talented every year as a team but the QB is still holding us back. Give KC a decent QB and we are a playoff team IMO.

Yeah? Where you going to get that QB?

BTW, the o-line and Buster Davis had a pretty good game this week. :flower:

Tombstone RJ
09-22-2010, 07:15 PM

KC's oline is pretty weak IMHO. It's not like Cassel has all day to throw the ball. Yah, the running game is good but it's much harder to build an oline around good pass blocking talent than it is around good run blocking talent. Add in the fact that KC's WR corps is suspect and I think your team is still pretty far away from being a playoff contender.

Tombstone RJ
09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
I'd have to say the Ravens will be right there again once they get back to using Rice.

They're basically outsmarting themselves on offense at this point.

There's aboslutely no reason the rabens can't throw the ball. After all, they got the next Joe Montana/Dan Marino at QB right? According to all the NFL experts Joe Flacco IS the second coming... add in the fact that they have Boldin and Whoseyourmama at WR, along with Rice at RB and their is NO reason this team should not be in the playoffs.

And oh yah, they still have a great defense with ray-ray running the show...

DivineLegion
09-23-2010, 12:11 AM

The only thing hindering Miami from being a legit contender is Chad Hennie. The guy has a monster arm with little to no accuracy. I don't think they are lacking staying power considering their scoring defense is tops in the league with the Steelers. If Miami wins Sunday night everyone is going to be jumping on their bandwagon.

v2micca
09-23-2010, 08:07 AM
The Steelers are just looking nasty to me early on. That defense can carry them all the way. If they stay healthy for Big Ben's return, I expect the offense to get back on track. Expect them to be one of the top 3 teams by week 7.