PDA

View Full Version : Braylon Edwards Busted For DWI

The MVPlaya
09-21-2010, 06:49 AM
http://cleveland.sbnation.com/2010/9/21/1701575/braylon-edwards-busted-for-dwi

Braylon Edwards Busted For DWI

by John Bena • Sep 21, 2010 8:40 AM CDT

Former Browns WR Braylon Edwards is currently in a New York City jail, awaiting arraignment on DWI-charges stemming from an incident this morning in New York City.

Edwards was pulled over by NYC police for having windows that were too tinted. When police approached the car they could smell alcohol and Edwards was asked to partake in a breathalyser.

The results? Edwards blew a .16, double the legal-limit in New York state.

Edwards’ issues have been well-documented, be it dropped passes, fights outside night-clubs, classless TD celebrations, or now, getting juiced up and driving his range-rover after partying all night.

Garcia Bronco
09-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Dumbass.

The MVPlaya
09-21-2010, 06:51 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5598872

Braylon Edwards arrested for DUI

New York Jets receiver Braylon Edwards was arrested on a drunken driving charge in New York early Tuesday morning.

The Jets expressed their disappointment in the receiver in a statement Tuesday.

"We are very disappointed in Braylon's actions this morning. The Player Protect program is in place for our organization to prevent this situation. Braylon is aware of this program and showed poor judgment," the Jets said.

"We are reviewing the information with the league and will impose the appropriate disciplinary measures."

The 27-year-old Edwards was pulled over for having overly tinted windows in his Range Rover. Edwards was arrested at 5:15 a.m. after police smelled alcohol and Edwards blew .16 on a breathalyzer -- twice the legal limit, the New York Post reported.

Edwards, who caught a touchdown pass and two-point conversion on Sunday in the Jets' victory over the New England Patriots, is currently in police custody and will be arraigned later Tuesday, the newspaper reported.

The Jets acquired Edwards, a former first-round pick out of Michigan in 2005, from the Cleveland Browns only days after he was accused of punching a man outside a Cleveland nightclub in October 2009. The victim was an acquaintance of LeBron James. Edwards pleaded not guilty at the time, but he ended up pleading no contest to misdemeanor aggravated disorderly conduct. He received probation and a $1,000 fine.

Edwards was required to make that plea in person, and it took him away from the Jets for a day as they prepared for a playoff game last Jan. 12. At the time, the Jets feared he would be slapped with a one-game suspension from the NFL, but they learned in late June that there would be no sanction from the league.

According to a league spokesman, DUIs are reviewed under the NFL's substance-abuse policy. There is no automatic suspension under any circumstances. The league isn't commenting on a possible outcome or specifics.

The first substance-abuse offense is not subject to suspension for a player, only a fine, which is half of a game check with a maximum of $50,000. It is not known if Edwards ever had a violation under the substance-abuse policy (the program is confidential) and if he would be subject to a suspension for a second offense.

The assault charge that Edwards previously had while in Cleveland is covered under the NFL's personal conduct policy and the two can't be used together against a player.

Edwards' big game Sunday was overshadowed by a taunting penalty he received after his touchdown.

On Monday, Edwards was chastised by coach Rex Ryan -- publicly and privately. In a team meeting, Ryan announced that he was prepared to give Edwards a game ball for his performance, but he decided against it because of the penalty.

"I love the way he played -- he was really into it -- but you're killing us," Ryan told reporters. "You can't put the team in that kind of jeopardy. I appreciate how passionate he is, but you don't want to be selfish. That's basically what that is."

This will almost certainly be Edwards' final season with the Jets. In the offseason, he signed a one-year tender for $6.05 million, and he's due to become an unrestricted free agent in 2011.

The Jets were heavily criticized in the offseason for acquiring players with off-the-field issues. They traded for wide receiver Santonio Holmes even though he was facing a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. He has served two games.

Also, they traded for cornerback Antonio Cromartie, whose tenure with the San Diego Chargers was tainted by paternity issues. At the time of the trade, in March, Cromartie had fathered seven children from six different women and was late on $25,000 in child-support payments. To help Cromartie, the Jets fronted him $500,000 of his $1.1 million salary.

The Jets will likely be without two of their top three receivers for Sunday night's game in Miami. They have only three other receivers on the roster, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith and David Clowney. They could look to re-sign veteran Laveranues Coles.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini, ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Crushaholic
09-21-2010, 06:53 AM
He had a heck of a game against the Patriots. I could see why he WANTED to celebrate, but that doesn't excuse his behavior...

oubronco
09-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Idiot makes a shytload of money and can't find a driver? That's stupidity at it's finest

Garcia Bronco
09-21-2010, 06:56 AM
This is also why it's stupid to customize your car.

The MVPlaya
09-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Idiot makes a shytload of money and can't find a driver? That's stupidity at it's finest

No.

This is true stupidity:

"We are very disappointed in Braylon's actions this morning," team media relations said, via ESPN. "The Player Protect program is in place for our organization to prevent this situation."

That last line refers to the tools available to ensure that players don't drive drunk. By calling the appropriate phone number, a player who has been drinking can get a ride home, no questions asked. (As we understand it, they'll even make arrangements to get the player's car home, too.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/21/jets-have-strong-words-for-braylon-but-will-they-take-action/

rbackfactory80
09-21-2010, 07:15 AM
NYC on an corner at any time you can get a cab or call a car service. Total selfish jerk move. This guy is an idiot. Maybe he couldn't afford dishing out the 20-50 bucks.

Chris
09-21-2010, 07:47 AM
What does DWI stand for? I know what DUI is.

beardedwonder
09-21-2010, 07:50 AM

Driving while intoxicated.

I guess a cab is too expensive when you make 5 million a year

Lev Vyvanse
09-21-2010, 07:52 AM

Driving While Intoxicated.

Mogulseeker
09-21-2010, 07:56 AM
No.

This is true stupidity:

"We are very disappointed in Braylon's actions this morning," team media relations said, via ESPN. "The Player Protect program is in place for our organization to prevent this situation."

That last line refers to the tools available to ensure that players don't drive drunk. By calling the appropriate phone number, a player who has been drinking can get a ride home, no questions asked. (As we understand it, they'll even make arrangements to get the player's car home, too.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/21/jets-have-strong-words-for-braylon-but-will-they-take-action/

We had the same problem in the Navy. There was a sign on the bridge - days since last DUI. I think the number go to 40 once. What makes it so stupid was that we were all issued "safe ride home cards" - literally a card with the number of all the cab companies on it an their numbers, and a number to hand to the driver so they would charge the Navy for the ride later. We still had DUIs.

They should just make drinking and driving more complicated. Keep it where it is for .08 and higher, and if it exceeds something like .14 or something like that, make it a felony.

NYBronc
09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Jets telling Peter Schwartz and Mike Francesa they <i>have</i> to play Edwards. ha ha. What a bunch of idiots. You think Joe McKnight should file a grievance for being benched?

~Crash~
09-23-2010, 12:34 PM

Hell there team will cover for you that's how dumb this was .

Los Broncos
09-23-2010, 01:24 PM
They were talking about this on inside the NFL last night on how he is an outcast in the locker room.

Players lost respect for him after this.

Baba Booey
09-23-2010, 01:33 PM
They were talking about this on inside the NFL last night on how he is an outcast in the locker room.

The guy's a total clown. Did you see his celebration after his touchdown against the Pats? Total goon.

Not only should he have acted like he'd been there before, but he's the last one that should be celebrating anything football-related. The guy sucks.

Then he goes and gets a DWI.

Beantown Bronco
09-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Considering he was partying with a bunch of teammates that night and two of them, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Vernon Ghoulston, were with him in his car when he got pulled over.....it doesn't look like he's THAT big an outcast.

I'm sure some guys don't like him (same goes for a good portion of guys on every team I'm sure), but it's not like he's sitting alone in a corner and nobody acknowledges him. He's obviously got friends there.

Los Broncos
09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
The guy's a total clown. Did you see his celebration after his touchdown against the Pats? Total goon.

Not only should he have acted like he'd been there before, but he's the last one that should be celebrating anything football-related. The guy sucks.

Then he goes and gets a DWI.

No doubt, and his stupid ass beard he is growing out.

Just doing it for attention.

Los Broncos
09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Considering he was partying with a bunch of teammates that night and two of them, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Vernon Ghoulston, were with him in his car when he got pulled over.....it doesn't look like he's THAT big an outcast.

I'm sure some guys don't like him (same goes for a good portion of guys on every team I'm sure), but it's not like he's sitting alone in a corner and nobody acknowledges him. He's obviously got friends there.

I'm sure your right I was just going off of what they were saying.

Meck77
09-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Meh...Nothing surprises me at all anymore. Beat your women, have indiscriminate babies, rack up those DUI's. It's the American way sadly enough.

Pony Boy
09-23-2010, 02:37 PM

Dim-Witted-Idiot

gunns
09-23-2010, 02:39 PM
What's with that beard? Disgusting. Is it part of his religion or is he now polygamous?

Los Broncos
09-23-2010, 02:43 PM
What's with that beard? Disgusting. Is it part of his religion or is he now polygamous?

I forget why he is growing it out, he said why on hard knocks.

Just doing it for attention IMO.

Dagmar
09-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Adam Schefter.

Interesting how Braylon Edwards, who hasn't been convicted, is getting ripped and Vincent Jackson, with two DUIs, is getting sympathy. about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/25401892936) via ÜberTwitter (http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php)

tsiguy96
09-24-2010, 07:42 AM
ive never heard anyone give any sort of sympathy to vincent jackson? he chose to **** with AJ smith and he didnt win, how can someone feel bad for his greed?