PDA

View Full Version : peter king on 18 game schedule (mmqb)

titan
09-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I got a twitter mention in Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback column this morning (page 2 about the 18 game schedule) - quoting Peter King from the column:

I asked on Twitter: Which would you prefer for the future in the NFL -- a 16-game season with four preseason games or an 18-game season with two preseason games. I got 593 responses, and the results surprised me.

A 16-game schedule: 386 votes (65.1 percent).

An 18-game schedule: 207 votes (34.9 percent).

Now, maybe some people are telling me what I want to hear, because I'm very much against expanding the regular season; it's already hard enough to get players through 16 games. I think the league's asking for trouble, big-time, if it goes to an 18-game schedule, which it will try to do in this next CBA with the players. The players are aware of the league's intentions and are not impressed.

"The 18-game schedule and player safety,'' Jets linebacker Bart Scott told me. "That's what I call an oxymoron. All we say as players is: Don't insult our intelligence and say it's about making the game better. You know the 18-game schedule is about the money, not about the game.''

A sampling of what my Twitter followers said:

@sportsindenver (Tim Larison, Denver): "From a 42-year NFL season ticket holder. Don't want to see the season pushed deeper into winter.''

@SSI311 (Robert Scott): "they can't stay healthy for 16 let alone 18! Somebody please use some common sense!''

@slbguru (Josh Lewis): "4 gm preseasons is a joke/thievery by owners. Yes, more injuries, but there will be expanded rosters as concession to union.''

@ericrmusic (Eric Roberts, Dallas): "Are the 'fans' Goodell hears from 'everywhere he goes' about having an expanded season [actually] the owners?''

Whole column here:

http://is.gd/fjCHl

=======

I am actually not so much against the 18 game schedule as I am against starting the season the weekend after labor day WITH an 18 game schedule. That is what the NFL is thinking about. It pushes everything back 2 weeks (camps would open 2 weeks later, broncos would be playing regular season games into mid January).

It would be hard to wait until mid-August to get my OrangeMane bronco training camp report fix! Plus I like more warm weather games. Even yesterday (the hottest home game in Bronco history) it wasn't bad - much better than sitting in 0 degree weather in January!

chawknz
09-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Whatever cuts pre-season games down to 2 is fine by me.

tsiguy96
09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
18 game season is gonna destroy the players, unless they are getting 2 bye weeks.

Popps
09-20-2010, 01:38 PM
18 game season is gonna destroy the players, unless they are getting 2 bye weeks.

Expand the rosters, and force teams to creatively get some of their stars some rest. That's the only thing I can think of. Otherwise, 18 games is just too much, imo.

WABronco
09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Don't forget a 2 game preseason would screw rookies and guys trying to make the team. Unless they come up with some sort of developmental league, I'd imagine that an altered preseason would affect those guys.

Atwater His Ass
09-20-2010, 02:28 PM
On the other hand, with the expanded rosters that come with an 18 game season, it gives more opportunities for guys that wouldn't make the team to make it. For the players overall, this a good thing and would minimize the impact of guys that only get 2 pre-season games to impress.

However, the reason I am against this is I believe the league wants to ship these extra games out overseas to tap that market. I'm 100% against regular season games being played overseas.

broncolife
09-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I wouldnt mind it. The only teams it would hurt really are the teams playing for the conference titles. Most of the other teams just have to act like they made the playoffs for 2 more games. I still would like to see them expand the roster even if they didnt increase the regular season.

Garcia Bronco
09-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Put the 18 game regular season where it belongs...back in the list of **** not to do.

colonelbeef
09-20-2010, 03:59 PM
16 games is enough. 18 games will only lead to more legislating of QB protection

titan
09-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Once in the 70's the broncos played SEVEN preseason games with a 14 game regular season schedule. That was ridiculous, but 4 preseason games with a 16 game regular season schedule is fine. Don't mess with a good thing, NFL.

boltaneer
09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
My wacky idea is that if they are going to go past 16 games, I'd rather see a compromise with 17 regular season games and one less pre-season game. Or even two less pre-season games.

No more .500 teams. You're either 9-7 or 7-9, unless you wind up with a rare tie.

Each team could have a game on a neutral site but not necessarily overseas.

WolfpackGuy
09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Keep the 16 game schedule.

Just play two preseason games with two weeks between each game and the opener.

Drek
09-20-2010, 04:55 PM
I personally love the 16 game schedule, it offers perfect symmetry throughout the game.

16 games divides the season into four quarters of four games. Each game is four quarters as well. The entire game of football is based around the number 4 and very often you can tell how a team will finish the season based on how they finish games and finish quarters.

You go up to 18 and that perfect symmetry goes away.

WABronco
09-20-2010, 04:55 PM
On the other hand, with the expanded rosters that come with an 18 game season, it gives more opportunities for guys that wouldn't make the team to make it. For the players overall, this a good thing and would minimize the impact of guys that only get 2 pre-season games to impress.

However, the reason I am against this is I believe the league wants to ship these extra games out overseas to tap that market. I'm 100% against regular season games being played overseas.

Good point.

Too many different parts to this equation though, IMO. And the only goal is lining the pockets of the owners.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-20-2010, 04:56 PM
It seems like one of those things that if they create an 18 game sked, in 20 years we'll wonder why it always wasnt this way.

chadta
09-20-2010, 05:42 PM
It seems like one of those things that if they create an 18 game sked, in 20 years we'll wonder why it always wasnt this way.

in 20 years itll be a push for a 20 game schedule

That One Guy
09-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Yay, so the Colts starters can rest for an entire month before the playoffs?

I thought that was going to be the next big fix - figuring out a way to make late season games matter more. The answer? Just make more games.

Atwater His Ass
09-20-2010, 07:52 PM
I personally love the 16 game schedule, it offers perfect symmetry throughout the game.

16 games divides the season into four quarters of four games. Each game is four quarters as well. The entire game of football is based around the number 4 and very often you can tell how a team will finish the season based on how they finish games and finish quarters.

You go up to 18 and that perfect symmetry goes away.

At one time, people didn't belive the planets had an elliptical orbit either, because a circular orbit is clearly superior.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-20-2010, 07:58 PM
The NFL is trying their level best to **** up a sure thing.

Drek
09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
At one time, people didn't belive the planets had an elliptical orbit either, because a circular orbit is clearly superior.

No it doesn't.

The galaxy is a layered set of massive objects all spinning around the single most massive object.

If someone would have appropriately applied sound physical thinking they could have easily surmised that truly circular orbits were highly improbable due to extraneous gravitational forces caused by the various other orbiting bodies.

Now the perfect symmetry of scheduling in a recreational sport? That is something to be enjoyed.