PDA

View Full Version : uʍop ǝpısdn sı pןɹoʍ ǝןoɥʍ ʎɯ

Bronco Rob
09-20-2010, 03:27 AM
Orton at his best on third down

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Third-and-long, third-and-short, didn't matter. The down and distance seemed to be little object for the Broncos' offense and particularly quarterback Kyle Orton in Sunday's 31-14 drubbing of the Seahawks.

In what was one of the best statistical performances of his career, Orton was at his best on third down. That was when he completed 11-of-14 passes (79 percent) for nearly half his passing yards (152 of 307), including both of his touchdown passes, a 13-yarder to Eddie Royal in the first quarter and a 21-yarder to Demaryius Thomas in the fourth quarter.

In all, the Broncos converted 14 of their 20 third-down attempts. That 70 percent conversion rate is the second-best since 1991, when the statistic began being tracked.

"We wanted to be able to sustain long drives, and to do that you have to be able to convert on third down," Royal said. "We worked on that in practice, so it was good to see that pay off."

Orton's teammates said the third-down success started at midweek when the team began working on its game plan. After converting only 3-of-10 tries last week in a loss at Jacksonville, the offense made those third-down plays a priority against Seattle.

"Kyle's always so prepared," receiver Brandon Lloyd said. "He and (coach) Josh (McDaniels) do such a great job of setting up practice, that what we see in practice is the same thing we see on the field, so we're not surprised."

Yet when Sunday arrived, the key, players said, was getting into manageable third-down scenarios.

"We didn't want to play the game in long-yardage situations," McDaniels said. "That really allowed Kyle to operate in those situations very effectively."

Of the Broncos' 20 third-down tries, 12 came from third-and-5 or shorter. McDaniels called for Orton to pass on nine of those plays.

"I think we exhausted our entire call sheet on third-and-2 and third-and-5, so that's a good sign," Orton said.

With Brandon Stokley who was seemingly automatic on third downs in the three previous seasons no longer on the team, Orton divvied up those crucial throws. Thomas caught four, Royal caught three, Jabar Gaffney caught two and Lloyd and Daniel Graham each caught one, all part of the Broncos' offensive plan to spread the wealth.

That, players said, starts with Orton.

"I think he is underrated, and this year he's turning a lot of heads, here in Colorado and around the nation of what kind of quarterback he is," Graham said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16120331

tsiguy96
09-20-2010, 03:31 AM
woulda been better if they werent winning by so much, the team didnt have to do anything the last 6-7 minutes of the game.

BMarsh615
09-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Thanks for posting the link!

Cool Breeze
09-20-2010, 04:11 AM
I'm dizzy now...
14-20 on 3rd down... wow!
Lawyer Milloy is now silent!!!

Man-Goblin
09-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Absolute embarassing.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Absolute embarassing.

Worst home win I can remember remembering.

Steve Sewell
09-20-2010, 07:43 AM

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Third-and-long, third-and-short, didn't matter. The down and distance seemed to be little object for the Broncos' offense and particularly quarterback Kyle Orton in Sunday's 31-14 drubbing of the Seahawks.

In what was one of the best statistical performances of his career, Orton was at his best on third down. That was when he completed 11-of-14 passes (79 percent) for nearly half his passing yards (152 of 307), including both of his touchdown passes, a 13-yarder to Eddie Royal in the first quarter and a 21-yarder to Demaryius Thomas in the fourth quarter.

In all, the Broncos converted 14 of their 20 third-down attempts. That 70 percent conversion rate is the second-best since 1991, when the statistic began being tracked.

"We wanted to be able to sustain long drives, and to do that you have to be able to convert on third down," Royal said. "We worked on that in practice, so it was good to see that pay off."

Orton's teammates said the third-down success started at midweek when the team began working on its game plan. After converting only 3-of-10 tries last week in a loss at Jacksonville, the offense made those third-down plays a priority against Seattle.

"Kyle's always so prepared," receiver Brandon Lloyd said. "He and (coach) Josh (McDaniels) do such a great job of setting up practice, that what we see in practice is the same thing we see on the field, so we're not surprised."

Yet when Sunday arrived, the key, players said, was getting into manageable third-down scenarios.

"We didn't want to play the game in long-yardage situations," McDaniels said. "That really allowed Kyle to operate in those situations very effectively."

Of the Broncos' 20 third-down tries, 12 came from third-and-5 or shorter. McDaniels called for Orton to pass on nine of those plays.

"I think we exhausted our entire call sheet on third-and-2 and third-and-5, so that's a good sign," Orton said.

With Brandon Stokley who was seemingly automatic on third downs in the three previous seasons no longer on the team, Orton divvied up those crucial throws. Thomas caught four, Royal caught three, Jabar Gaffney caught two and Lloyd and Daniel Graham each caught one, all part of the Broncos' offensive plan to spread the wealth.

"I think he is underrated, and this year he's turning a lot of heads, here in Colorado and around the nation of what kind of quarterback he is," Graham said.

Borks147
09-20-2010, 08:00 AM
pathetic

broncocalijohn
09-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Worst home win I can remember remembering.

Ive forgot better home wins than you can try to remember.
Thanks Steve for the link. Rob and Tsiguy must not have the ability....but at least Rob put who wrote it and the reference.

crush17
09-20-2010, 09:05 AM
I am disappoint.

HAT
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Embarrassment....I has it.

BlaK-Argentina
09-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Rofl!

HEAV
09-20-2010, 09:59 AM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/johncraig0880/Ortonchill.jpg

doonwise
09-20-2010, 04:10 PM
absolute embarassing.
rofl!

Requiem
09-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Orton better have better days!

ChSuperStar
09-20-2010, 04:28 PM

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

WTF.. that coach.. i cant remember his name, is destroying this team. And that owner who had no money left in the bank is a gutless drunk. And we lost all the superstar players in this team. WTF WTF.. the world is turning upside down, not just this thread. :welcome:

Popps
09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/chineseeggnoodles.jpg

http://www.carmenlu.com/first/vocabulary/health1/body1_1/arm.jpg

OABB
09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
What i havent seen yet is people talking about our red zone scoring. we have scored with power runs at the one....we have only kicked a few field goals that I can remember.(too lazy to look it up).

maybe Mcd knows something about football?

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
09-20-2010, 09:13 PM
i shouldnt go givin broncocalijohn soo much attention but he wants to play shadow so well we gonna play
(http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=2951)

SoCalBronco
09-20-2010, 09:16 PM
i shouldnt go givin broncocalijohn soo much attention but he wants to play shadow so well we gonna play
(http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=2951)

No you won't. I've already told you to stop spamming the threads with this stupid stuff. You've done it in like 3 threads, already. Quit it. You are asking for it.

HAT
09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Wait wut? Am I to understand that The Mane is being moderated again? I think a sticky is in order.

DivineBronco
09-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Wait wut? Am I to understand that The Mane is being moderated again? I think a sticky is in order.

insert Ride of the Valkyries here....dun da dun dun dun da da duuuuun dun

Bronco Rob
09-21-2010, 03:32 AM
http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/chineseeggnoodles.jpg

http://www.carmenlu.com/first/vocabulary/health1/body1_1/arm.jpg

:rofl: :thumbsup:

TotallyScrewed
09-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Broncos did well but the Seahawks defense sucked. Don't expect 70% or even 50% as a rule. Be happy but don't start betting your mortgage payment.

Bronco Rob
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Lol