PDA

View Full Version : The future looks bright...

Popps
09-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Great win today... so enjoy it all week. It's not going to be this easy for the next few weeks, and in fact... I expect some struggles. It's just asking a lot for us to take on a team like Indy right now without Doom and a healthy O-line.

But, regardless of how the scores play out for us the next few games... I'm growing more and more optimistic about the future of this team.

Things to be excited about...

-Orton: He's still young, playing extremely well and while he's no Drew Brees, he's looking more and more every week like he's got the ability to be a part of a championship offense.

-Royal: He's back, and I knew he would be. McDaniels was in love with the kid last year, but admitted that he just wasn't sure how to use him. Well, he's figured it out. Royal is young, and I expect major production from him for a long time.

-Thomas: Yes, it's one game... but he looked like a 10 year pro out there today. If today was ANY indication, he's going to be a monster.

-Moreno: He's no Chris Johnson, but he runs hard and looks to me like the "1" in a 1-2 RB punch combo. I really hope we can go grab a speed back to pair with him next off-season. When the blocking is there, he can wear down a defense and is becoming a bigger part of the passing game, as well. Also a young guy, of course.

-Cox: One silly mistake today, but he looked like he belonged at CB when he was out there. The "steal" label is starting to stick.

-Tebow: Duh. He's Tim ****ing Tebow.

-Clady: He'll be healthy again... when destroying fools when he is.

-Doom: See Clady.

-Walton: He's a big bastard and he looked much better to me today. Another young, key piece to the future puzzle.

-Lloyd: He's doing everything we're asking of him. Also young enough to be part of a successful future if he wants to be. He's played great football the past 4 games. (Back to last season.)

-McDaniels: He's a talented game-day coach and has this offense moving in the right direction. Can his staff field a winning defense? That's to be seen, but I think he's a born football coach and will win a SB or die trying.

These are just a few guys that make me feel like this team is heading somewhere special. There are lots of guys left off of that list. We've obviously got to figure out some issues on our offensive and defensive lines... but we're a young team with a lot of intriguing talent being developed.

Again, I expect some turbulence in the next few weeks... but I like the bigger picture I see developing here.

Archer81
09-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Good take. The offensive efficiency today was ridiculous. I cant remember a time when Denver was 12-15 at one point on 3rd down.

I think Martindale needs to ratchet up the pressure. We give up the big play, we give it up. We should not be afraid to send the house. Good win today. Next few weeks are going to be a rough one, but as you said Popps we are pointing in the right direction.

:Broncos:

Popps
09-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Good take. The offensive efficiency today was ridiculous. I cant remember a time when Denver was 12-15 at one point on 3rd down.

I think Martindale needs to ratchet up the pressure. We give up the big play, we give it up. We should not be afraid to send the house. Good win today. Next few weeks are going to be a rough one, but as you said Popps we are pointing in the right direction.

I just keep thinking about the stat someone posted the other day that something like half of our 2007 starters were out of the league now, and most of them never worked again.

I look at our roster today and while we have holes... there's not one starter that wouldn't land on a team if released, and better yet... we've actually got a core of young talent to build around.

Shanahan left us a few guys... and McDaniels has built on it nicely.

Popps
09-19-2010, 09:52 PM
****, I forgot to mention Ayers in the OP.

Duh. He's another key puzzle-piece, imo.

Anyone know how he is, btw?

Spider
09-19-2010, 09:53 PM
I am pleased with what i saw today ............

~Crash~
09-19-2010, 09:55 PM

he came back for a couple plays

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2010, 09:55 PM

He came back in the game.

Popps
09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
He came back in the game.

I just never heard what he hurt, or really noticed how effective he was after he came back.

NFLBRONCO
09-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Our WR corps might potentionally be one of Denvers best ever if they can stay healthy.

Borks147
09-19-2010, 10:09 PM
he got knocked on his ass during a return. my hip would hurt after that too. he came back in later, but by then the D was in prevent-mode and he didn't really rush.

Popps
09-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Our WR corps might potentionally be one of Denvers best ever if they can stay healthy.

****, I should have put Decker in the OP, too.

LongDongJohnson
09-19-2010, 10:21 PM

how is that possible.

we gave up the beast brandon marshall. how are we supposed to replace his 100+ catches??????

mcdummy.......

Cito Pelon
09-19-2010, 10:24 PM

They haven't been successful blitzing the ILB's. They tried it at JAX early, and today early, and it wasn't working. IDK if it's better to keep it up or play soft.

baja
09-19-2010, 10:25 PM

I was going to point that out but then you said there were more that you did not mention

NFLBRONCO
09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
how is that possible.

we gave up the beast brandon marshall. how are we supposed to replace his 100+ catches??????

mcdummy.......

I love BM alot he is a great player and 100+ catches is amazing. I think it is 100 times tougher having to defense 4 or 5 guys each game then 1 guy. I think if Thomas can stay healthy I think he can be as good or better then BM he seems faster. I'm not concerned about Thomas character wise that is a relief.

Cito Pelon
09-19-2010, 10:33 PM
I just keep thinking about the stat someone posted the other day that something like half of our 2007 starters were out of the league now, and most of them never worked again.

I look at our roster today and while we have holes... there's not one starter that wouldn't land on a team if released, and better yet... we've actually got a core of young talent to build around.

Shanahan left us a few guys... and McDaniels has built on it nicely.

It's a pretty good roster, actually. Lot's of youth that are playing well.

SoCalBronco
09-19-2010, 10:41 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/015/167/Spirit87smallpaintJP2_crop_340x234.jpg?1282797085

http://www.moviemobsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/jurassic_park_movie_image_t_rex__1_1.jpg

baja
09-19-2010, 10:44 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/015/167/Spirit87smallpaintJP2_crop_340x234.jpg?1282797085

http://www.moviemobsters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/jurassic_park_movie_image_t_rex__1_1.jpg

Are you sure that second pic isn't Darius Watts?

I mean look at those arms

SoCalBronco
09-19-2010, 10:46 PM

The T-Rex can actually catch, though. :)

easymobee
09-19-2010, 11:01 PM
I was at the game today w/ my son ( 7 and first game ever) and it was ****ing hot. I could add a take on all of the above mentioned players, but ill just focus in on one. Knowshon looked ok from the cheap seats at least, I didn't think he was pushing 100, but I was surprised that he only had 55 in the 4th when they flashed the stats. The numbers were low, but I feel a lot better when he is in the game than when Buck is out there. Good move picking up Maroney, because I feel like Buckhalter is on his last legs.

Great set of WRs.

The days of Cedric Tillman, Willie Green, and David Kircus being our third options are over for now.

Saw a fan doing something interesting today. Had an 87 jersey that was originally a Kircus I believe (did he wear that #?) Anyway he had all of the new nameplates since then sewn over it, but off-center as to show the joke (it looked like an X or star). The newest nameplate was Decker, good way to recycle a jersey IMO.

Al Wilson
09-19-2010, 11:04 PM

:spit: That's hilarious

SoCalBronco
09-19-2010, 11:06 PM
http://giants.football-news-update.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1276883206-76.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wvIAyxpjEuc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wvIAyxpjEuc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Requiem
09-19-2010, 11:09 PM
SoCal, you have that picture on lock. Is it in your bedroom too? :D

SoCalBronco
09-19-2010, 11:12 PM
SoCal, you have that picture on lock. Is it in your bedroom too? :D

Not yet.... but it might be, eventually.

Los Broncos
09-20-2010, 12:04 AM
I was just happy to see Thomas play today, he just made it look easy.

Wasn't someone bashing this pick in another thread?

Whoever it was is an asshole.

Orton looks good and had tons of time to throw.

Special teams frigging sucks, and the run D looked bad, couple of things to work on.

Once Harris and Kuper are back the running game should get better.

Cito Pelon
09-20-2010, 12:33 AM

Decker is kind of a ****up on ST's. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh. He needs to get a little better.

Popps
09-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Decker is kind of a ****up on ST's. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh. He needs to get a little better.

Haven't noticed him... what did you see?

Dr. Broncenstein
09-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Lots of good things offensively today, but I think the OLine was possibly the most impressive to me. We went with 3 FNG's, a recovering Clady, and a career backup. We didn't dominate the LOS in short yardage situations, but Orton was only pressured once if I recall correctly. Beadles may end up as the long term answer at RT. Walton is a stud. Daniels may wind up as one of the best free agent aquisitions this front office has made. Throw in a healthy Kuper and Harris, and we are going places offensively.

Mogulseeker
09-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Walton was the second best lineman against the Seahawks, next to Clady.

lostknight
09-20-2010, 01:10 AM
The future looks bright
Just as bright as it looked bleak a week ago. The McDaniel's acolytes are on the ascent this week just as the Cutler and Shanahan devotees were last week.

Let's see what happens over the season, before we think that this franchise might finally be emerging from the wilderness of the last few years.

lostknight
09-20-2010, 01:12 AM

That's not a broncos only thing. I remember reading that the vast majority of players never sign a second contract, leading to the average career of a NFL player to be just north of five years. That plus old players == much turnover.

TotallyScrewed
09-20-2010, 06:26 AM
Great win today... so enjoy it all week. It's not going to be this easy for the next few weeks, and in fact... I expect some struggles. It's just asking a lot for us to take on a team like Indy right now without Doom and a healthy O-line.

But, regardless of how the scores play out for us the next few games... I'm growing more and more optimistic about the future of this team.

Things to be excited about...

-Orton: He's still young, playing extremely well and while he's no Drew Brees, he's looking more and more every week like he's got the ability to be a part of a championship offense.

He played a good game. Some of his throws were right into the teeth of the coverage though. No INT's which is great but he needs to read the defense better...room to grow and improve.

-Royal: He's back, and I knew he would be. McDaniels was in love with the kid last year, but admitted that he just wasn't sure how to use him. Well, he's figured it out. Royal is young, and I expect major production from him for a long time.

Royal looks extremely speedy this year. And he's become clutch![/I]

-Thomas: Yes, it's one game... but he looked like a 10 year pro out there today. If today was ANY indication, he's going to be a monster.

I couldn't agree more.

-Moreno: He's no Chris Johnson, but he runs hard and looks to me like the "1" in a 1-2 RB punch combo. I really hope we can go grab a speed back to pair with him next off-season. When the blocking is there, he can wear down a defense and is becoming a bigger part of the passing game, as well. Also a young guy, of course.

[I]I question the play calling more than Moreno but there were a couple of plays where he just looked lost. Moreno has mad talent. He displayed serious drive. I hope that scheme improves.

-McDaniels: He's a talented game-day coach and has this offense moving in the right direction. Can his staff field a winning defense? That's to be seen, but I think he's a born football coach and will win a SB or die trying.

Easy there cowboy...I agree with this offense is moving in the right direction. That's one-third of his responsibilities moving the right direction. He needs to improve the running game scheme.

These are just a few guys that make me feel like this team is heading somewhere special. There are lots of guys left off of that list. We've obviously got to figure out some issues on our offensive and defensive lines... but we're a young team with a lot of intriguing talent being developed.

Again, I expect some turbulence in the next few weeks... but I like the bigger picture I see developing here.

Good take overall though. The team is playing with heart and doesn't seem to be panicked by miscues on ST's or Defense. Workman like.

Mogulseeker
09-20-2010, 07:09 AM
All I'm saying is, the best players we got from this last draft - so far - were Thomas, Cox, and Walton. Decker and Squid were great values. Once Beadles moves to the position he's practiced all offseason - OG - and Tebow develops, it looks like this might be McD's staple draft class.

As for 2009, Moreno has actually looked quite good considering what he's been given. He was one block away from busting off several big ones - and just look at him v/Seattle - the guy is working his tail off, which I like to see with a guy of his talent. **** the haters, Moreno clearly has talent... he pushes the pile and always falls forward, he has good moves, and a deceptive initial burst, he also does the little things well, and he is an outstanding blocker and receiver out of the backfield. I recall another poster saying fumbling will be a problem with any back if the first hit is constantly coming 1 yard behind the line (we have a newly powerful, young, offensive line that needs to find its niche). Again, he is a workhorse who I think will come along.

The Ayers pick is starting to pay dividends, and he is clearly our best pass rusher right now. I really think the verdict is still out w/Quinn but he did make a couple of good blocks. There was one long pass where he looked good in pass protection... maybe he an beef up and pull off a Dwane Carswell, and wlk the line between TE and OT? Bruton has been good on ST... and I really hope McBath comes back soon, considering what he did last year.

@TotallyScrewed: While Cutler has looked good so far in Chitown, you can't say that Orton isn't better than Jaybee at reading defenses. Say what you want about natural talent, but Orton is clearly a smarter player.

strafen
09-20-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm still disturbed by the fact Moreno keeps getting tackled behing the LOS for a loss repeatedly during the game. 2.1 ypc. yikes!

Mogulseeker
09-20-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm still disturbed by the fact Moreno keeps getting tackled behing the LOS for a loss repeatedly during the game. 2.1 ypc. yikes!

Considering what he had to work with... if that were any of us, it would be at least -2.1 ypc.

Moreno probably had 4-5 earned yards every run. Problem was, the first hit was coming from behind the line.

colonelbeef
09-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Oh god, here we go with the premature Poops fluffing.

This was a must-win game against a weak opponent at home, coming off of a terrible loss to another weak team on the road.

The Broncos historically perform well at home during season openers.

3-9 over the last 12. The next 5 games are a gauntlet that could easily have you looking foolish for making such proclamations, just like you crowed last year after 6-0, remember? ::Fist pump::

The run game is embarrassing, and the defense is weak up the middle, period. These flaws will be exposed by good teams, and unfortunately work to essentially preclude the Broncos as currently constructed from any kind of real contention.

Calm yourself down.

Rabb
09-20-2010, 07:22 AM

This was a must-win game against a weak opponent at home, coming off of a terrible loss to another weak team on the road.

3-9 over the last 12. The next 5 games are a gauntlet that could easily have you looking foolish for making such proclamations, just like you crowed last year after 6-0, remember? ::Fist pump::

The run game is embarrassing, and the defense is weak up the middle, period. These flaws will be exposed by good teams, and unfortunately work to essentially preclude the Broncos as currently constructed from any kind of real contention.

Calm yourself down.

thanks for pissing on a positive thread asshole

I am optimistic as well Popps, go Broncos

Br0nc0Buster
09-20-2010, 07:39 AM
thanks for pissing on a positive thread a-hole

I am optimistic as well Popps, go Broncos

Hes just mad because we won

55CrushEm
09-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Hes just mad because we won

This. CaptainQueef is such a downer, isn't he?

fontaine
09-20-2010, 07:48 AM
I think the reason for optimism is that when the OL did it's job, Kyle Orton led the passing game extremely well and at times made up for a pretty weak ground game.

Most of the problems from week 1 are still there. A weak ass running game starting with the OL, a front 7 that doesn't generate any kind of pass rush and a run defense that still looks soft.

The secondary and some weak play by Hasselbeck bailed us out from seeing the worst of the D but they should improve in run defense.

And the OL will get better in opening up holes once Harris/Kuper get back. It's a work in progress and apart from no pass rush, I think we can improve in these other areas.

It's just going to take time, but in the meanwhile this team needs to be coached up and disciplined every week to avoid the kind of dumb mistakes that cost us week 1.

Rabb
09-20-2010, 07:51 AM
I think the reason for optimism is that when the OL did it's job, Kyle Orton led the passing game extremely well and at times made up for a pretty weak ground game.

Most of the problems from week 1 are still there. A weak ass running game starting with the OL, a front 7 that doesn't generate any kind of pass rush and a run defense that still looks soft.

The secondary and some weak play by Hasselbeck bailed us out from seeing the worst of the D but they should improve in run defense.

And the OL will get better in opening up holes once Harris/Kuper get back. It's a work in progress and apart from no pass rush, I think we can improve in these other areas.

It's just going to take time, but in the meanwhile this team needs to be coached up and disciplined every week to avoid the kind of dumb mistakes that cost us week 1.

I agree with all of this.

We have to fix our special teams somehow, and I have no clue what it's going to take but Christ on a cracker it's going to cost us more games if it keeps up.

Sproles has to be licking his chops.

fontaine
09-20-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree with all of this.

We have to fix our special teams somehow, and I have no clue what it's going to take but Christ on a cracker it's going to cost us more games if it keeps up.

Sproles has to be licking his chops.

I've given up on special teams. They're good for at least one big mistake almost every game and cost us two games a year.

gyldenlove
09-20-2010, 08:02 AM

A few times on the coverage he has looked out of position, I noticed on the one long return yesterady it looked like Hunter and Decker both came down unblocked and almost took each other out instead of one keeping contain and on going for the tackle, didn't look good.

gyldenlove
09-20-2010, 08:08 AM
I am still surprised that Royal wasn't in the slot last year, he looks so much more natural there, his quickness and ability to read the coverage is just used so much better when he can get those mismatches.

The defensive front still needs to kick it up, that kind of play won't do against the Colts, but I am happy with what I am seeing elsewhere. I think the first 2 games have been a good demonstration of how we are going to win this year, Orton playing will and getting time in the pocket and the defense taking the ball away.

FISH
09-20-2010, 08:14 AM
The future of Thomas, Decker and Royal.....is just....wow. If we ever get a GOOD/REAL passing TE we are in business. How on earth would you stop it (provided our line heals and improves)?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Calm yourself down.

here we go again with privatebeef telling everyone not to be excited about the team we all root for.

What a pain in the ass you are.

Gee, I think I'll choose to be happy about the way they looked today. That alright with you? And if the Broncos make you so ****ing miserable, feel free to walk away.

I guarantee you won't be missed. By anyone.

Old Dude
09-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Fun stat of the day: AFC leaders in reception yards (average per game)

1. Chad Ochocinco ...... 101.5
2. Reggie Wayne ......... 97.5
3. Demaryius Thomas.. 97.0
4. Andre Johnson.......... 95.5
5. Austin Collie ............ 94.0
6. Kevin Walter ............86.5
7. Brandon Loyd ........ 85.0
T-8. Dallas Clark .......... 81.5
T-8. Eddie Royal ......... 81.5

Six of the top nine will be on the same field next week.

Rascal
09-20-2010, 08:33 AM
I remember about 3-4 years ago when we were saying the future looked bright. That brightness was due to an oncoming train. Hopefully this isn't another one.

Steve Sewell
09-20-2010, 08:37 AM
The reason you didn't see a lot of blitzes is because the Seahawk's offense is designed for the QB to get rid of the ball very quickly, and Hasselbeck is very good at it. It just doesn't make sense to sell out when you know the likelihood of the QB holding on to the ball is very low. Its better to play your responsibilities and allow the players in the secondary to make plays (which they did)

Dedhed
09-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Just as bright as it looked bleak a week ago.
I don't think so. Last week we lost a close game to a team that has dominated us for years. In no way were we dominated on either side of the ball, and it was STs that really lost us the game..

This week we were commanding on offense and the defense/ST created 4 turnovers. We saw growth from every player individually and every unit as a whole.

We had a breakout performance from our top draft choice, who looks like he might be the key component in taking this offense from "efficient" to "explosive".

In all, the positives this week far outweigh the negatives from last week in both number and magnitude.

Mogulseeker
09-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Fun stat of the day: AFC leaders in reception yards (average per game)

1. Chad Ochocinco ...... 101.5
2. Reggie Wayne ......... 97.5
3. Demaryius Thomas.. 97.0
4. Andre Johnson.......... 95.5
5. Austin Collie ............ 94.0
6. Kevin Walter ............86.5
7. Brandon Loyd ........ 85.0
T-8. Dallas Clark .......... 81.5
T-8. Eddie Royal ......... 81.5

Six of the top nine will be on the same field next week.

My prediction:
63-56, Manning kills us with the last possession.

azbroncfan
09-20-2010, 08:53 AM
I agree but I did start a thread with same thread title after the Hester td's against the bears a few years ago about how bright the future looked.

Beantown Bronco
09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Popps,

Speaking of young talent, I'd also argue that we have the best young kicker/punter combo in the league right now.

Dedhed
09-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Popps,

Speaking of young talent, I'd also argue that we have the best young kicker/punter combo in the league right now.

Colquitt has been hugely impressive. Enough so that I think he's got the job locked up.

Cito Pelon
09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Haven't noticed him... what did you see?

Not containing, not physical.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Colquitt has been hugely impressive. Enough so that I think he's got the job locked up.

I heard on lightrail that they might bring in some competition for him. Not true?

outdoor_miner
09-20-2010, 09:36 AM

Great post. I espcially like your last paragraph. This team is not good enough to overcome a bunch of mental mistakes. They need to be smart to win, and let the other team make the mistakes.

As for the team... The only unit that looks really good at this point is the passing offense. Everything else is suspect. I'm hopeful that the run game will get better with Harris and Kuper back. But, I'm pretty nervous about the entire D. I think they'll be able to slow average offenses down enough for our offense to win the game, but I basically have no confidence in this D against a team like the Colts. I have the sinking feeling that next week is going to be ugly, but I'm sure I'll build up hope before Sunday.

Special Teams should improve. There is talent there, and no reason they should be playing so poorly. I think that will get fixed.

So - Great O. Average to below average D. Improved special teams. I still think this team can make the playoffs, but we need to figure out a way to win 2 of the next 4.

Dedhed
09-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I heard on lightrail that they might bring in some competition for him. Not true?

My sources say that we traded Colquitt's only competition to Miami for two second rounders.

Dutch
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
My sources say that we traded Colquitt's only competition to Miami for two second rounders.

ROFL!ROFL!ROFL!:notworthy

gyldenlove
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Popps,

I still think Colquitt has a tendency to outpunt his coverage unit, he gets the distance but the hangtime suffers from time to time, Prater on the other hand is money.

Beantown Bronco
09-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I still think Colquitt has a tendency to outpunt his coverage unit

Any time he punts it greater than 20 yards, this becomes a distinct possibility.

Naggle Nole
09-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Prater is in line for a contract extension, and I hope it gets done before too long
He only things has two things to knock him on (and I am being EXTREMELY picky here)

One, he has a tendency to forget how to knock them through the back of the endzone when he isn't in Denver
With how our coverage teams look at times, having him demonstrate his leg strength consistently would alleviate a lot of that mess

Two, outside of the NE game last year he hasn't been called upon for too many game winning kicks
As good as he has looked, we only have to look over to Kaeding at SD to see a Pro-Bowl kicker who flakes when it matters

Those things being said, his ceiling is All-Pro, I really believe that
Thank you Shanny for giving this kid a shot :thumbsup:

broncosteven
09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
The reason you didn't see a lot of blitzes is because the Seahawk's offense is designed for the QB to get rid of the ball very quickly, and Hasselbeck is very good at it. It just doesn't make sense to sell out when you know the likelihood of the QB holding on to the ball is very low. Its better to play your responsibilities and allow the players in the secondary to make plays (which they did)

Great game by the Broncos finally. We get a couple breaks on turnovers and actually take advantage for a change.

After watching Manning last night we need to celebrate this win right up to kickoff. Manning saw the 3 DE formation by the Gints and was content to run all 1st half, until I stopped watching. They took advantage of the TO's they got also.

It will be nice to have a healthy OL but Wink needs to prove that he deserves to be an NFL calibre DC. Moss walked into a sack, Ayers was a non- factor our rent a DL is worse than the Browncow DL and the CB's are having to cover for way too long which is something we have had to deal with a good 4 years.

I would have Unicorns flying out my urethra if we had drafted a DL high this year or addressed it at all in any of mCd's 1st 2 drafts but we did get hit on Thomas. Thomas was a need this year, a self inflicted need but he looks so far ahead of BM at this point in his career which is nice cause that means that next year we can draft DL and OL, then more DL in the 1st 3 rounds, if we don't trade away all our picks on guys NE is looking to cut.

The good news is that if KFC loses to San Fran next week and we beat the Colts we could be tied for the divison lead. The sad thing is that KFC is leading the divison at all.

bowtown
09-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Great game by the Broncos finally. We get a couple breaks on turnovers and actually take advantage for a change.

After watching Manning last night we need to celebrate this win right up to kickoff. Manning saw the 3 DE formation by the Gints and was content to run all 1st half, until I stopped watching. They took advantage of the TO's they got also.

It will be nice to have a healthy OL but Wink needs to prove that he deserves to be an NFL calibre DC. Moss walked into a sack, Ayers was a non- factor our rent a DL is worse than the Browncow DL and the CB's are having to cover for way too long which is something we have had to deal with a good 4 years.

I would have Unicorns flying out my urethra if we had drafted a DL high this year or addressed it at all in any of mCd's 1st 2 drafts but we did get hit on Thomas. Thomas was a need this year, a self inflicted need but he looks so far ahead of BM at this point in his career which is nice cause that means that next year we can draft DL and OL, then more DL in the 1st 3 rounds, if we don't trade away all our picks on guys NE is looking to cut.

The good news is that if KFC loses to San Fran next week and we beat the Colts we could be tied for the divison lead. The sad thing is that KFC is leading the divison at all.

Wow, that's a whole new take on unicorn sperm. It's not sperm from the unicorn, but actually sperm comprised of little unicorns. In that case you could have unicorn sperm that was also capable producing unicorn sperm. Epicness. eBay would probably explode.

Beantown Bronco
09-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Prater is in line for a contract extension, and I hope it gets done before too long
He only things has two things to knock him on (and I am being EXTREMELY picky here)

One, he has a tendency to forget how to knock them through the back of the endzone when he isn't in Denver

This article from immediately after the season ended actually says he had a better average kickoff distance during the 2009 road games than the home games. Long article, but well worth the read.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/1/17/1248854/matt-prater-is-no-kathy-ireland

broncosteven
09-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Wow, that's a whole new take on unicorn sperm. It's not sperm from the unicorn, but actually sperm comprised of little unicorns. In that case you could have unicorn sperm that was also capable producing unicorn sperm. Epicness.

It happened to me only one other time. A few years ago after reading "Failure is not an Option" I decided it was time for a vision quest. To make a long story short I drove deep into the mountains armed with an Ipod filled with John Denver's catalog (including all the TV show episodes he did and Oh God, I and II) and Gene's book. On the 3rd day after eating nothing but SHrooms and reading the Apollo 1 speech over and over unicorns shot out of my urethra and a rainbow popped up over my leanto and Gene appeared in my vision. I am never allowed to discuss my vision quest further but let me just say I learned how a pocket protector could be used as a condom in an emergency with hot NASA groupie chicks.

I a preparing another vision quest, on this one I am bringing an Ipod of Steely Dan, the collected writings of William S. Burroughs, Xanax, scotch and instead of the Mountains I am going to NY.

Naggle Nole
09-20-2010, 11:19 AM
This article from immediately after the season ended actually says he had a better average kickoff distance during the 2009 road games than the home games. Long article, but well worth the read.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/1/17/1248854/matt-prater-is-no-kathy-ireland

Hmmm thanks for that
Maybe my perceptions are being clouded by the last two games

Chris
09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Out of curiosity what rookies on the DL outside of the top 10 are making an impact this year?

Beantown Bronco
09-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Out of curiosity what rookies on the DL outside of the top 10 are making an impact this year?

Even second year.....I remember the "Ron Brace was good enough for NE, why not us?" groundswell last year.....but he has been a big disappointment in NE so far.

TheReverend
09-20-2010, 11:57 AM

Season's too early to accurately answer that question.

Guys to watch:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_DT

Steve Sewell
09-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I a preparing another vision quest, on this one I am bringing an Ipod of Steely Dan, the collected writings of William S. Burroughs, Xanax, scotch and instead of the Mountains I am going to NY.

Good luck bro

Popps
09-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I still think Colquitt has a tendency to outpunt his coverage unit...

So, you're saying we should bring someone in....?

Beantown Bronco
09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Season's too early to accurately answer that question.

Guys to watch:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_DT

I could be wrong, but I think he's looking for 2010 DL draft picks that McD essentially had the opportunity to draft but passed on...in response to broncosteven's comment that he "would have Unicorns flying out my urethra if we had drafted a DL high this year or addressed it at all in any of mCd's 1st 2 drafts."

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-20-2010, 12:07 PM
So, you're saying we should bring someone in....?

Is Berger available?

Popps
09-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Is Berger available?

No, but I heard on the Lightrail that Sauerbrun is ready for an NFL comeback.

Just saying.

Naggle Nole
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Hard to tell from looking at stats, because we are talking about 3-4 D-linemen whose production can't really be expressed through stats

In fact, the only guy I saw with ANY stats is Jared Odrick, he of the 1 tackle and no sacks
As for the production of guys like Mt. Cody, Lamarr Houston, Dan Williams, etc., you would have to ask the teams that drafted them

Cito Pelon
09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
BTW, did you notice Beadles at RT pancake that guy that beat him to the outside on the passrush? Beadles got beat outside, but instead of holding, Beadles just leaped on his back and pancaked the guy.

gyldenlove
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
BTW, did you notice Beadles at RT pancake that guy that beat him to the outside on the passrush? Beadles got beat outside, but instead of holding, Beadles just leaped on his back and pancaked the guy.

Beadles stepped up from his 1st game where Kampmann had his number.

DBroncos4life
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I would draft Alex Henry in the second round he is that good.

Hamrob
09-20-2010, 12:59 PM
It's amazing what can happen when you win the turnover battle and convert 3rd downs. Yesterday's game really was the recipe for winning in the NFL.

We just need to improve the run defense and running game. I think a back with speed would be able to hit the holes quicker and...meaning our Oline isn't really that bad...but, Moreno (although a tough runner) likes to dance. Stopping the run...has to do with our LB's getting to the ball (up the field) quicker.

If we can somehow win 2 of the next 4, we should have a decent season. Plus...3 of the next 5 are at home. We have to win those games.

skunk
09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
-Walton: He's a big bastard and he looked much better to me today. Another young, key piece to the future puzzle.

I find your language offensive. :(

Beantown Bronco
09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
I find your language offensive. :(

I find your smell offensive.

Cito Pelon
09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I find your smell offensive.

Not to mention the avatar . . . .