PDA

View Full Version : Broncos building deep pass attack

oldschoolorange
09-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Did not see this posted. There was discussion of the content in various threads. Is this going to be a big part of the Broncos win tomorrow?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16097994

theAPAOps5
09-18-2010, 08:15 PM
What?

Naggle Nole
09-18-2010, 08:21 PM
The DP is to the point to where the comments are simply unreadable to anyone with a sense of class
I can't even understand how there are so many "fans" that are totally cool with the idea of making threats on the life of someone who they have never even personally met
:oyvey:

Requiem
09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Real deal on the field, I'm young like Michael Vick about to make a touchdown in your town.

oldschoolorange
09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Here is the article:

By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Warning: The stat you're about to read is not a misprint.
The NFL quarterback who led the league last weekend in big-play passes — those 25 yards or longer — wasn't Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or the other usual suspects. It was Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton, who tossed five such completions in Sunday's opener at Jacksonville.
Go figure that the Broncos, with a quarterback who only a year ago had fans and experts wondering about his arm strength and who is without the supposed big-play receiver, may be evolving into a downfield offense.
"We feel like we've found some things that we really want to take advantage of in that area that has nothing to do with who we're playing, really," coach Josh McDaniels

JACKSONVILLE, FL - SEPTEMBER 12: Aaron Kampman #74 of the Jacksonville Jaguars pressure Kyle Orton #8 of the Denver Broncos during the NFL season opener game at EverBank Field on September 12, 2010 in Jacksonville, Florida. (Getty Images North America | Sam Greenwood)
said.
Of Orton's five long completions, three were bona fide long throws — of 41, 27 and 25 yards each, all to Brandon Lloyd. Two others, a 28-yarder to tight end Daniel Graham and a 25-yarder to Eddie Royal, were shorter throws with significant yards after the catch.
But consider that in four games last year, Orton didn't have even one 25-yard completion. In two additional games, he had no completions of longer than 30 yards.
"I hope it spreads the field, I hope it opens other things up for us, but that's certainly an area of the field that we've talked a lot about in the offseason and trying to make them defend the whole field, rather than just half of it," Orton said.
The trend hasn't materialized out of nowhere.
The Broncos' first offensive play in their first preseason game this year was a 31-yard completion down the left seam to receiver Jabar Gaffney.
No, the team hasn't tossed its playbook full of bubble screens, but the Broncos already have shown they won't rely on them this year.
"I don't know the difference of why or whatever. This is the team we have right now and we think it's the best way to go about it with our team this year," Orton said. "We've got a
ALL THINGS BRONCOS BLOG

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.

versatile group of wide receivers that can do a lot of different things, and so far when they've been given a chance to make a play downfield, they've done a good job of making it."
McDaniels, who calls the offensive plays, can point to specific reasons for the evolution of the team's offense.
It starts with Orton, who in his second season feels far more comfortable with every page of the playbook, as well as with the receivers.
Gaffney, Lloyd, Royal and Graham are holdovers from a year ago, yet each expects to see more passes with the departure of Brandon Marshall, who had nearly twice as many catches (101) than the No. 2 receiver last year — Gaffney (54). And despite Marshall's reputation of being a big-play receiver, he averaged only 11.1 yards per catch last season.
The Broncos believe Lloyd has the potential to make more plays in the middle or deep end of the field, and he showed it with his five-catch, 117-yard performance against Jacksonville. The Broncos are also hoping rookie Demaryius Thomas, when he returns from a foot injury that has kept him sidelined, will add a downfield dimension with his size and strength. Thomas practiced without any limitations again Thursday and could make his debut Sunday against Seattle.
"I think you take into consideration the personnel that you are playing with and their skill sets and what they do well," McDaniels said. "Then, you try to branch out and use more of those things this year than maybe you did last year.
"Every year I've called plays it's been a different style — there have been different skill players, different linemen, things that the quarterback does better from one year to the next, whatever it may be, and then there's always the evolution of finding new things that work."

baja
09-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for posting that, good read.

Welcome to the Maine. Hope to hear more from you. ;D

baja
09-18-2010, 08:30 PM
The DP is to the point to where the comments are simply unreadable to anyone with a sense of class
I can't even understand how there are so many "fans" that are totally cool with the idea of making threats on the life of someone who they have never even personally met

What are you talking about?

Popps
09-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm extremely bullish on our WR corps, and most of them are fairly young.

Naggle Nole
09-18-2010, 08:41 PM
What are you talking about?

Every time there is a Denver Post article, you can read the comments and see numerous people chiming in about how McD and crew need to be gunned down, ran over by vehicles, etc. etc. ad nauseum
Those are just the least creative examples too
I mean, no 15 inch AIDS dripping phalluses or anything :wave:

Granted I wasn't around a community like this for any previous regime changes, but the level of animosity is simply staggering
Some people treat the fortunes of this team as though it is a reflection of themselves

Cito Pelon
09-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Did not see this posted. There was discussion of the content in various threads. Is this going to be a big part of the Broncos win tomorrow?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16097994

Denver sure wants to attack deep.

oldschoolorange
09-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm extremely bullish on our WR corps, and most of them are fairly young.

It'll be fun to watch. Lloyd has tremendous abilities. Can Orton keep him interested? Royal is great if he can stay 100%. The rest will create their future in front of us.

Paladin
09-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Every time there is a Denver Post article, you can read the comments and see numerous people chiming in about how McD and crew need to be gunned down, ran over by vehicles, etc. etc. ad nauseum

Granted I wasn't around a community like this for any previous regime changes, but the level of animosity is simply staggering
Some people treat the fortunes of this team as though it is a reflection of themselves

By George, I think you've got it!!!!

ZONA
09-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I think Orton, in order to be effective downfield, has to read the defense well and get the pass off quick. He doesn't have the gun to survey for awhile then then pick out a guy deep downfield. It's got to be a well timed and designed play for him to go long. But it's encouraging that they are looking to do that.

Cito Pelon
09-18-2010, 08:57 PM

Class? We don't need no stinking class.

oldschoolorange
09-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Class? We don't need no stinking class.

Outstanding!

broncocalijohn
09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Good article but we did talk about the stat earlier this week....

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=93727

Cito Pelon
09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I'd like to see some more post routes, but those are the riskiest of all routes. Nevertheless, you gotta try a post once a game at least to keep the DC and the safeties guessing. If it doesn't look good, overthrow the route. But it's a weapon that has to be deployed as part of the strategy. It can be a wasted route, but it gives the DC and the safeties something to think about.

baja
09-18-2010, 09:29 PM

but there weren't any in this thread.

oldschoolorange
09-18-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd like to see some more post routes, but those are the riskiest of all routes. Nevertheless, you gotta try a post once a game at least to keep the DC and the safeties guessing. If it doesn't look good, overthrow the route. But it's a weapon that has to be deployed as part of the strategy. It can be a wasted route, but it gives the DC and the safeties something to think about.

Yes. I think this will come. In preseason and in game 1, there seemed to be an effort to focus on throwing outside. Look at the fourth down in red zone, fourth quarter, at Jags. I think we will see more post routes this week.

Hulamau
09-18-2010, 09:38 PM
When we have the Oline at full strenght with ORton playign at a high levle and have that extra second for check downs and OL rookies more in sync ... then our four WR set of

Thomas, Decker, Royal, Lloyd/Gaffney will be very tough to stop indeed.! Is why I picked up Orton on two of my FF teams well.

strafen
09-18-2010, 10:11 PM
I've said it before and I say it again...
Orton is a lousy QB. Period!
Can he make a play here and there?
Yes, he can.
But more often than not, he will show you why he's not, and will not be consider an elite QB in the NFL.
An elite QB is one that makes the play(s) when your team needs it the most.
Orton had a wonderful opportunity to put himself in the map last week and be the hero by making the play he needed to make, unfortunately for us, he threw a pick instead.
I understand the general concensus around here that we need to support our QB and our team. I agree, that's fine and dandy, but to fantasize about Orton lighting up the field is expecting more than what the guy can deliver...

The guy needs a complete A+ team around him. A good OL, a great defense and a solid running game will be something Orton can be of a compliment to.
When Orton is referred as a winner, and let's face it, the guy has an ok winning record of 29-20 as an NFL QB, however, if you looked at his stats in those wins, the majority of those wins have come when he has thrown for less than ~200 yards.

Feel free to look it up...

oldschoolorange
09-18-2010, 10:34 PM
I did a little editing for you. Like it?

I like it!

baja
09-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Yes, he can.
But more often than not, he will show you why he's not, and will not be consider an elite QB in the NFL.
Orton had a wonderful opportunity to put himself in the map last week and be the hero by making the play he needed to make, unfortunately for us, he threw a pick instead.
I understand the general concensus around here that we need to support our QB and our team. I agree, that's fine and dandy, but to fantasize about Orton lighting up the field is expecting more than what the guy can deliver...

The guy needs a complete A+ team around him. A good OL, a great defense and a solid running game will be something Orton can be of a compliment to.
When Orton is referred as a winner, and let's face it, the guy has an ok winning record of 29-20 as an NFL QB, however, if you looked at his stats in those wins, the majority of those wins have come when he has thrown for less than ~200 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen
I am a complete Idiot! Period!
Can I make sense here and there?
Yes, I can.
But more often than not, I will show you my ass, and will not be consider changing, I am an elite douche.
An elite douche is one that brings stupidity to a high level(s) when you need it the most.
I had a wonderful opportunity to put myself in the map last week and be the hero by making a post I needed to make, unfortunately for all of you, i shiit the bed instead.
I understand the general concensus around here that I am a mental cripple and need support of a professional. I agree, that's fine and dandy, but to diss me all the time is lighting up to board but hurting my feelings, you are expecting more than what this guy can deliver...

This guy (me) needs a complete Ass ream if you want to be around him. A good butt kicking would be a great defense against the soil I bring to the Mane so will someone oblige me. It would be a compliment too.
When I am referred as a winner, and let's face it, we know that is a complete joke but maybe I will be a winner when I am here 20 or 29 more years as an poster, however, if you look at me now my stats do not show wins, the majority of those here have come to know I am a complete FAIL and you knew that when I had posted for less than ~200 words.

TheReverend
09-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't mind our offensive scheme whatsoever.

...but lollllllllllllllllll

oldschoolorange
09-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Yes, he can.

You are right about Orton's ypg. The article was merely pointing out that the deep pass is being targeted as a point of emphisis for Broncos offense and they were successful more so than any team last week with 25 + yd gains. Yes Orton missed some plays. Yes Broncos committed too many mistakes. Was that all on Orton?

strafen
09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
You are right about Orton's ypg. The article was merely pointing out that the deep pass is being targeted as a point of emphisis for Broncos offense and they were successful more so than any team last week with 25 + yd gains. Yes Orton missed some plays. Yes Broncos committed too many mistakes. Was that all on Orton?I'm not saying it was all Orton's fault.
In fact, I don't think he plays recklessly to lose a game for you.
So far playing under this system, Orton has been playing under a controlled well-designed plays to fit what he does best.
I can see throwing the deep ball here and there, but that's not his signature game.
I'll be curious to see how it would work for him.
He definitely has the receivers in place. We've got some guys that are unique in what they bring to the game as far as catching the ball.
What I'm saying is, that's not what Orton does best (deep pass) at least not in a consistent basis where you look forward to see when he's going to unleash the next one, know what I mean.

We will see. I could be wrong :D

gtown
09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't think that Orton throws the best deep ball. I've seen him underthrow and overthrow deep routes more often than not. That's most QBs in this league because deep passes are inherently low percentage plays. What I really see this year is a QB who understands most facets of McDs offense and who spent last year learning to walk before running. You add in a versatile group of WRs and I think you have a pretty potent offense. If Orton can stay healthy I think he can execute the way McD wants him to. Of course, that's a big IF.

But let's face it. Broncos fans are spoiled with memories of Elway, and no one we have had since then has been close to carrying the team late in games like he did.

Popps
09-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Kyle has a good enough arm to make the deep throws. But, it's not the core of his game, imo. Still... I like that we're developing the options and forcing defenses to respect the long ball.

Really looking forward to seeing him make more progress this year. Very encouraging start.

Mogulseeker
09-19-2010, 01:59 AM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0917/20100917_121604_bronxchart_500.jpg

Mogulseeker
09-19-2010, 02:00 AM
If you looked at his stats in those wins, the majority of those wins have come when he has thrown for less than ~200 yards.

That's true with almost every QB in the league: when you're winning, you don't pass as often.

Taco John
09-19-2010, 02:26 AM
I'll never understand why anybody would focus any amount of criticism against Orton at this point. He's pretty well the least of all our concerns, handles himself like a pro, and manages the game and huddle as well as anyone we've had since Elway hung up the pads. And to boot, his replacement is waiting in the wings and in training, not yet ready to go, but will be in a year (maybe two if we go the Aaron Rodgers route and give him more time to develop). What more does anybody want out of our quarterback situation at this point?

Mogulseeker
09-19-2010, 03:11 AM
I'll never understand why anybody would focus any amount of criticism against Orton at this point. He's pretty well the least of all our concerns, handles himself like a pro, and manages the game and huddle as well as anyone we've had since Elway hung up the pads. And to boot, his replacement is waiting in the wings and in training, not yet ready to go, but will be in a year (maybe two if we go the Aaron Rodgers route and give him more time to develop). What more does anybody want out of our quarterback situation at this point?

And look at Rodgers: the next young, great QB in the NFL.

I say let Tebow sit two years then trade Orton to Minny for a 2nd, assuming they haven't found Favre's replacement.

strafen
09-19-2010, 06:23 AM
That's true with almost every QB in the league: when you're winning, you don't pass as often.

Feel free to look it up...Exactly what I was saying.
For Orton to win, he's got to have a solid running game, and then some.
But since this thread talks about the deep pass, your point is irrelevant; especially if the Broncos are looking to go deep more often....

strafen
09-19-2010, 06:31 AM
I'll never understand why anybody would focus any amount of criticism against Orton at this point. He's pretty well the least of all our concerns, handles himself like a pro, and manages the game and huddle as well as anyone we've had since Elway hung up the pads. And to boot, his replacement is waiting in the wings and in training, not yet ready to go, but will be in a year (maybe two if we go the Aaron Rodgers route and give him more time to develop). What more does anybody want out of our quarterback situation at this point?Nobody is talking about Orton being our main concern, he's somewhat of a concern in my mind, but not on the top of the list at the moment.

We're discussing the Broncos building a deep pass attack. Obviously we have to bring Orton into the debate to see what we've got and what the chances of a new Broncos' offense identity going into a "deep pass" team would be..

NYBronco
09-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Yes, I can.
But more often than not, I will show you my ass, and will not be consider changing, I am an elite douche.
An elite douche is one that brings stupidity to a high level(s) when you need it the most.
I had a wonderful opportunity to put myself in the map last week and be the hero by making a post I needed to make, unfortunately for all of you, i shiit the bed instead.
I understand the general concensus around here that I am a mental cripple and need support of a professional. I agree, that's fine and dandy, but to diss me all the time is lighting up to board but hurting my feelings, you are expecting more than what this guy can deliver...

This guy (me) needs a complete Ass ream if you want to be around him. A good butt kicking would be a great defense against the soil I bring to the Mane so will someone oblige me. It would be a compliment too.
When I am referred as a winner, and let's face it, we know that is a complete joke but maybe I will be a winner when I am here 20 or 29 more years as an poster, however, if you look at me now my stats do not show wins, the majority of those here have come to know I am a complete FAIL and you knew that when I had posted for less than ~200 words.

Why yes, I do like it! But your not asking me are you? !Booya!

Cool Breeze
09-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Yes, I can.

I like it!
Good job Baja!!! !Booya!

The MVPlaya
09-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Yes, I can.

:spit:

dragster
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ewmvis.jpg

Jetmeck
09-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Yes, I can.

38k posts, wow your the resident genius and and with 38k posts I mean resident. Jump on the guy for not agreeing. The three long throws were circus catches much like the other Brandon had to make constantly. Otherwise he had to turn into a defender to save Orton's ass. Orton cannot throw anything over 25 yards accurately !

The act of jumping upon people who don't jump on the band wagon and simply follow along like lemons is disgusting !

NYBronco
09-19-2010, 07:52 AM
I like lemons.

Rock Chalk
09-19-2010, 07:53 AM

Stop reading comments on articles.

No really. Faith in humanity is quickly restored when you stop and quickly eroded if you start.

McDman
09-19-2010, 08:01 AM

I'll ****ing kill you.

baja
09-19-2010, 09:36 AM
38k posts, wow your the resident genius and and with 38k posts I mean resident. Jump on the guy for not agreeing. The three long throws were circus catches much like the other Brandon had to make constantly. Otherwise he had to turn into a defender to save Orton's ass. Orton cannot throw anything over 25 yards accurately !

The act of jumping upon people who don't jump on the band wagon and simply follow along like lemons is disgusting !

I think you have missed the point Grasshopper.

His rep was earned by more than that one post.

Anyway it's mostly jest. I don't really care what anyone's opinion of a football team is.

This time of year it's really hot where I am so I sit at home in the air conditioning with all LOT of time on my hands so good or bad I spend a lot of time here.

Popps
09-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Because your average fan just can't see past the QB position, as a rule.

You're 100% correct, but Orton will still take the criticism if this team struggles this season.

Never mind that we're missing our two best offensive and defensive players. Let's blame the QB.

NYBronco
09-19-2010, 09:45 AM

You're 100% correct, but Orton will still take the criticism if this team struggles this season.

Never mind that we're missing our two best offensive and defensive players. Let's blame the QB.

... and the coach. Because they have full control of our teams injuries.

strafen
09-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Of course he's going to take his share of criticism.
The guy is too average to make a difference.
I mean, there are many QB's in the league with the ability to step it up when the team needs him the most. Orton doesn't have to play great all the time, but when the team struggles in some other areas, it's always nice to have a QB that can make up the deficit.
Orton is NOT that type of QB...

WolfpackGuy
09-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Orton needs to work on hitting some of these deep balls in stride.

strafen
09-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Orton needs to work on hitting some of these deep balls in stride.

And scan the field for a change.
Watch him later today.
You can count with one hand the times he looked for a second option, and when he does, is because he's got a DL right about to get him...