PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan Mic'ed Up

UberBroncoMan
09-15-2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d81a907cd/Sound-FX-Shanahan-Mic-d-up?module=HP_cp2

Shows some signs of the Shanny we remembered, but also seems a bit more energized. His kid seems kind of stressed though.

strafen
09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

uplink
09-15-2010, 10:29 PM
you know he knows how to work the refs when one of them stops by to congratulate him after the fumble recovery TD

R8R H8R
09-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I wish Shanny well. Seems like his hair is grayer than I remember though.

Anyway, early in the vid when he's suggesting to his son what he thought of a certain play, then Kyle says something like "yea, good play, lets do it".

I wonder if Kyle has the huevos to ever say "hell no, dad, that play sucks balls. I'm doing this instead!"

That would be classic! I would pay to see that. :)

The MVPlaya
09-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Redskins did get raped on that call.

TheReverend
09-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Definitely still feels wrong seeing him wearing that logo...

baja
09-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Look at the way shanny screams at his players why he even hit two of them on the head.

Now that's the way you coach...

worm
09-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Kyle looks half catatonic.

Atwater His Ass
09-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Isn't right seeing him in anything but Bronco colors.

Archer81
09-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Some members of this board are displaying breakup syndrome. Sad, really.

:Broncos:

footstepsfrom#27
09-16-2010, 12:17 AM
What happens if Shanny up and wins two more Superbowls with the Skins...would he still go into the HOF as a Bronco?

TheReverend
09-16-2010, 12:26 AM
What happens if Shanny up and wins two more Superbowls with the Skins...would he still go into the HOF as a Bronco?

I think that depends on how deteriorated his relationship is with Bowlen.

Even if he did win them, he spent over 20 years coaching in Denver along with all the personal memories in that time (raising his kids, etc), so you have to feel he would want to.

BUT if he and Bowlen are at odds, then he might want to go in as a Redskin out of spite.

Who knows?

baja
09-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Well we know he won't go in as a Raider.

TDmvp
09-16-2010, 12:42 AM

I didn't think you go into the pro football hof as anything .... ???

Like in baseball you pick who you go in as , and what hat you wear but don't think you go into the football HOF as any team member officially . ???

But anyways GO SHANNY ... seeing you in anything but Broncos colors makes me die a little insides tho ... ( yea yea yea sirhcyennek81 i have break up syndrome)

UberBroncoMan
09-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Definitely still feels wrong seeing him wearing that logo...

At least Atwater and Davis aren't still on the sidelines.

tsiguy96
09-16-2010, 03:24 AM
no coach has ever won a SB with two teams. i think we are safe.

Lolad
09-16-2010, 05:24 AM
no coach has ever won a SB with two teams. i think we are safe.

New records are made and broken almost everyday

Dagmar
09-16-2010, 06:40 AM
Kyle looks stressed as all hell.

And I heard Shanahan cursing! Oooooooooooooooooooh.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-16-2010, 06:47 AM
You don't "go in as" a member of a certain team in the NFL Hall of Fame. In Cooperstown, yes. In Canton, no.

It simply lists all the teams you played for.

jhns
09-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Shanahan is the man. He needs to coach up his kid right so Kyle can take over for Josh in a few years.

LonghornBronco
09-16-2010, 08:16 AM
agree it looks wierd seeing shanny in skins colors.

OT, I can't hardly watch nfl.com videos, there is a problem with the feed and looks real choppy. Does anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix it?

Swedish Extrovert
09-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Shanahan is the man. He needs to coach up his kid right so Kyle can take over for Josh in a few years.

ROFL!

http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Irish Stout
09-16-2010, 09:09 AM
You don't "go in as" a member of a certain team in the NFL Hall of Fame. In Cooperstown, yes. In Canton, no.

It simply lists all the teams you played for.

I am probably wrong on this, but I thought Zimmerman elected to go in as a Bronco over a Viking when he went.

bendog
09-16-2010, 09:13 AM
It's just too bad for him that he still can't make trade deals with Gibbs.

_Oro_
09-16-2010, 09:32 AM
I know I'm going to get killed for this but I'm saying it anyway. He looks a
bit old in the video. Not to say he can't be an effective coach because certainly
Vermiel was successful at an old age but it just doesn't look like the Shanny we all
knew and love in there. Looks like Grandpa Shanny.

FantomForce
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Calm, cool, collected and moving the offensive pieces of chess around on offense. He truly is a championship caliber coach

BigPlayShay
09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
I am probably wrong on this, but I thought Zimmerman elected to go in as a Bronco over a Viking when he went.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx

Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization. Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time. An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined. When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for his accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

baja
09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Calm, cool, collected and moving the offensive pieces of chess around on offense. He truly is a championship caliber coach

...and amassed 6 whole points.

I think Mike is a top 5 coach but the hero worship on this BB is something to witness.

bendog
09-16-2010, 10:03 AM
A top 5 coach isn't a championship caliber coach? I think he was done in Denver, but still. Without him there's a real chance Elway retires w/o a ring.

baja
09-16-2010, 10:03 AM
BTW did anyone else notice Snyder during the game. He looked like a little kid in the way he was bouncing up and down and fast clapping.

colonelbeef
09-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Yes he is.

Taking over a 4-12 team in what is arguably the toughest division in football- this year will show what a fantastic coach and personnel man he truly is.

Trading for Mcnabb was a masterstroke.

Meanwhile the Denver Clownshoes have 10 men on the field while giving up a game deciding touchdown

Archer81
09-16-2010, 10:04 AM

I think Mike is a top 5 coach but the hero worship on this BB is something to witness.

Breakup syndrome. They know why we had to let him go...but deep inside they hope someone comes to their senses and welcomes mike back...

colonelbeef
09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Breakup syndrome. They know why we had to let him go...but deep inside they hope someone comes to their senses and welcomes mike back...

HOF coach, and the man Bill Belichick fears most in the NFL. It's just reality.

Dunno about you, but I will take Belichicks' opinion over any tard on this board

Archer81
09-16-2010, 10:12 AM

Dunno about you, but I will take Belichicks' opinion over any tard on this board

Pining for a HC who got stale here is a little sad. He had his run, gave the team 2 Lombardis. As a fan I will always be greatful...but its time to let him go.

Chris
09-16-2010, 10:14 AM
at least the new colours match his complexion.

i thank him for what he did in denver but it isn't weird at all to me to see him in other colours. what's done is done.

Your mancrushes will fade in time and all you will be left with is respect and gratitude.

baja
09-16-2010, 10:15 AM
A top 5 coach isn't a championship caliber coach? I think he was done in Denver, but still. Without him there's a real chance Elway retires w/o a ring.

He won two super Bowls of course he's a championship coach.

You haven't been here dog. There is a contingent of posters that hold Shanny in the same light as Moses. All I'm pointing out to the poster that remarked Mike was prowling the sidelines like a sleek lion ready to pounce is that the lion only managed 6 points, 11 points less that our often called crap coach. I just want to keep it real on occasion. And I'm sure not going to get in a pissing match with you over a coach that has been gone going on two years. Been there done that enough around here already.

baja
09-16-2010, 10:21 AM

There might be a new sherif in town. His prodigy out coached Belichick and sent him packing back to NE with a loss in there first encounter and did it early in a complete rebuild.

bendog
I wasn't gonna link this but changed my mind. It's pretty fluffy, but there's some new stuff towards the end. What I got was that when he took the job in Denver, he cleaned out the lockerroom. At the end here, I think the lockerroom was not a good place. There's no dis there. And no homer worship. The quotes from guys like TD, EMac and Sharpe pretty much make it clear that Shanahan set a standard for players to meet that wasn't there before. It was achievable, but you had to have a level of talent to begin with, and then by buying into the program he got players to maximize their skills. He also inherited a HOF qb, and fell into a 2K rb, but then again he managed to draft OGary, Sonic and Mike Anderson. I'd like to see that talent level again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/11/AR2010091105262_4.html?sid=ST2010091200164

TheReverend
I know I'm going to get killed for this but I'm saying it anyway. He looks a
bit old in the video. Not to say he can't be an effective coach because certainly
Vermiel was successful at an old age but it just doesn't look like the Shanny we all
knew and love in there. Looks like Grandpa Shanny.

He is a grandpa.

bendog
09-16-2010, 10:39 AM
He won two super Bowls of course he's a championship coach.

You haven't been here dog. There is a contingent of posters that hold Shanny in the same light as Moses. All I'm pointing out to the poster that remarked Mike was prowling the sidelines like a sleek lion ready to pounce is that the lion only managed 6 points, 11 points less that our often called crap coach. I just want to keep it real on occasion. And I'm sure not going to get in a pissing match with you over a coach that has been gone going on two years. Been there done that enough around here already.

yeah, i departed in part because of that pissing match. And there are some here who are ready to say mcdaniels will never succeed in Den, and that remains to be seen. But when comparing the two squads, keep in mind shanny left the offesive shelf a lot better stocked than he got in Wash, and he went out and got himself a pro-bowl qb. He's got an old, brittle team, but at least it's interesting.

baja
09-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Re: dog's linked article

What's interesting is during the last few years Mike stopped following his own formula for success. His regime became full of cronyism. What I find interesting is in McD came in here a cleaned out Mike's locker room that was full of the same kind of players Mike had to weed out when he came to Denver.

There seems to be some truth to the point of view that a coach can grow stale over time in one place.

baja
09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
yeah, i departed in part because of that pissing match. And there are some here who are ready to say mcdaniels will never succeed in Den, and that remains to be seen. But when comparing the two squads, keep in mind shanny left the offesive shelf a lot better stocked than he got in Wash, and he went out and got himself a pro-bowl qb. He's got an old, brittle team, but at least it's interesting.

I was shocked to see Philly traded McNab to Washington.

I do not think Mike enjoys the power he had in Denver so maybe we should not credit the personal solely to Mike. I assume he has input but Bruce Allen is no slouch and that will allow Mike to do what he does best, coach. Washington could be scary good for years.

bendog
09-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Exactly. And that's why I think you gotta give mcdaniels the benefit of the doubt. He did do some less than professional things imo like with Cutler. But, it was Cutler who said he couldn't trust McDaniels. Favre said much the same a month ago. But it got worked out, and Favre was in no positio to try to force another trade. McDaniels fired a probowl long snapper and gave a NE guy a +million bonus to replace him, and really be his locker room stooge. it was unpleasant, but hey, McDaniels wanted his, not shanny's, lockerroom. That's his perogative as HC.

And I'm a shanny homer. I really doubt I'll enjoy McDaniels offense as much, even it it's successful. I loved watching the oline scheme.

baja
09-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Exactly. And that's why I think you gotta give mcdaniels the benefit of the doubt. He did do some less than professional things imo like with Cutler. But, it was Cutler who said he couldn't trust McDaniels. Favre said much the same a month ago. But it got worked out, and Favre was in no positio to try to force another trade. McDaniels fired a probowl long snapper and gave a NE guy a +million bonus to replace him, and really be his locker room stooge. it was unpleasant, but hey, McDaniels wanted his, not shanny's, lockerroom. That's his perogative as HC.

And I'm a shanny homer. I really doubt I'll enjoy McDaniels offense as much, even it it's successful. I loved watching the oline scheme.

I too loved watching the running game that resulted from the ZBS made up of O linemen that did not excel in other systems and because of that we got them with low picks allowing Mike to spend the higher picks on skill areas but the ZBS got figured out and that led to lots of yards but no points.

bendog
09-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Dallas has arguably the best personnel in the NFC. The East is a really good division. Mike Vick, aside.

baja
09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Dallas has arguably the best personnel in the NFC. The East is a really good division. Mike Vick, aside.

If Jones valued coaching ability over sucking up ability they might be scary good.

Atwater His Ass
09-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Pining for a HC who got stale here is a little sad. He had his run, gave the team 2 Lombardis. As a fan I will always be greatful...but its time to let him go.

Who's pining? Oh that's right, we can't appreciate what the greastest man next to John Elway has done for the Bronco fan base without people like you drawing lines in the sand. Hopefully you aren't this shallow with all your real life relationships.

Requiem
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
We know you are, Atwater.

jhns
09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Who's pining? Oh that's right, we can't appreciate what the greastest man next to John Elway has done for the Bronco fan base without people like you drawing lines in the sand. Hopefully you aren't this shallow with all your real life relationships.

I don't think some were fans for long before McDaniels came. I'm not sure why you would have so much hate for Shanahan if this isn't the case. Jealous chicks are the worst.

What I wonder is if he just needed a change of scenery for motivation, would he still be motivated enough if he then came back here in a couple years? We will all want him by that time. Even the jealous chicks will.

bowtown
09-16-2010, 02:36 PM
He is a grandpa.

Congrats to Chris and Kyle.

Archer81
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM

Right. This is exactly what I said.

But your reaction does add evidence for my theory. I also know when something is over. Wishing for it does not bring it back, nor does glossing over his faults as a HC and personnel guy.

Champagne Powder
09-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Shanahan never had a 2-9 stretch in Denver.McDaniels is entering territory that hasn't been matched since the pre-John Ralston years.

FantomForce
09-16-2010, 03:50 PM

yes hero that was the second no third, nope wasn't in my statement. caliber do you need a defenition? I just wanted to point out that for a game that close he didn't even seem to sweat. Way to call him out though on his first game back, first game of the year your football skills are legendary and that is why you have two superbowl rings sitting at home:clown:

baja
09-16-2010, 04:02 PM
yes hero that was the second no third, nope wasn't in my statement. caliber do you need a defenition? I just wanted to point out that for a game that close he didn't even seem to sweat. Way to call him out though on his first game back, first game of the year your football skills are legendary and that is why you have two superbowl rings sitting at home:clown:

You do know there is a difference between calling someone out and pointing out a fact right?

Also I agree Shanny is a cool cucumber on the sideline and maybe the best game day coach in the game today.

I also understand outcome of the game was more on Wade than Shanny.

Dedhed
09-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Kyle seems like he's having about as much fun as much fun as a kid who was just grounded and told to eat his broccoli.

baja
09-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Kyle seems like he's having about as much fun as much fun as a kid who was just grounded and told to eat his broccoli.

That's a tough situation for him surprised they did this. Working for your dad adds extra stress in an already high stress field.

spdirty
09-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't give a ****. I miss the hell out of him. He was my head coach and its hard to let him go. And if he is somehow able to take that team to the playoffs and we dont get there this year then Bowlen will have a ton of egg on his face.

bowtown
09-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't give a ****. I miss the hell out of him. He was my head coach and its hard to let him go. And if he is somehow able to take that team to the playoffs and we dont get there this year then Bowlen will have a ton of egg on his face.

If... When Shanahan has success with that team, I think he very well might look back at his year off and fresh start as having played a big role in that.

loborugger
09-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Isn't right seeing him in anything but Bronco colors.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hSeTf1788rI/SdNjGa5VgjI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/YlzkROXRNOw/s320/mike-shanahan-300x200.jpg

Naggle Nole
09-16-2010, 05:02 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hSeTf1788rI/SdNjGa5VgjI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/YlzkROXRNOw/s320/mike-shanahan-300x200.jpg

:raidersux

doonwise
09-16-2010, 06:11 PM
He wouldn't have won here; he had grown too complacent. He needed to get fired as a wakeup call. Redskins definitely hired a good, seemingly re-energized coach.

baja
09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
He wouldn't have won here; he had grown too complacent. He needed to get fired as a wakeup call. Redskins definitely hired a good, seemingly re-energized coach.

I think it was more a case of too much power for Shanny, factor in his well known ego and you got an incubator for bad decisions and bad non-decisions.

Archer81
09-16-2010, 07:06 PM

Not really. Different situations. Mike tried to make a championship team with spare parts and fizzy sticks. When over 30 players on the roster 2 years ago are not in the NFL now and we depended on them to be consistent game day contributors...its shocking we won 8 games in a season. For whatever reason the magic was gone. The Denver Broncos have been in at least one superbowl from 1970's to 1999. Nothing since. As I said at the time, I wish him well in DC. He did great things here, but its over. On to the next thing.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-16-2010, 07:07 PM
There might be a new sherif in town. His prodigy out coached Belichick and sent him packing back to NE with a loss in there first encounter and did it early in a complete rebuild.

And he did it with mother****ing class.

Archer81
09-16-2010, 07:10 PM

The CBS broadcast of the Den-Jax game was classic. They stuck with McDaniels through his entire tirade. It was awesome. They also showed the 4 foot bubble that developed around McDaniels after he shredded Quinn. When you clearly see a HC glare at a player then say Jesus Mother ****ing Christ, followed up with a **** me...classic.

Dedhed
09-16-2010, 07:13 PM
The CBS broadcast of the Den-Jax game was classic. They stuck with McDaniels through his entire tirade. It was awesome. They also showed the 4 foot bubble that developed around McDaniels after he shredded Quinn. When you clearly see a HC glare at a player then say Jesus Mother ****ing Christ, followed up with a **** me...classic.

The best part was McD flaying the NFLN in his presser.

Archer81
09-16-2010, 07:15 PM
The best part was McD flaying the NFLN in his presser.

Was that after the KC game or the NYG game?

Also classic.

baja
09-16-2010, 07:35 PM

Truthfully I don't like that part of his personality maybe Tebow will teach by example real men don't need to use that language to get their point across. Eventually he will realize many wiser folks do not respect that. I would recommend he cultivate respect not fear but we've had that discussion.

bpc
09-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Shanny looked great in that video. I'm happy for him. I think he definitely wins another super bowl and has tremendous success in Washington. To come out, with that team, and derail a potential super bowl favorite? That's all coaching. Some people will criticize that the offense only scored 6pts... all i saw was a team that found a way to win, a common theme with Shanahan coached teams.

Shanahan is the manahan. He deserves all the respect he gets, and you know what, he does it on the field the right way. Doesn't gloat, respects the players, respects the game. Coaches and expects it to be played the right way. Credit Daniel Snyder for making a great hire.

colonelbeef
09-17-2010, 05:24 AM

This is a ridiculous argument.

What he needed was time for the offense to mature, and then to spend 2-3 offseasons fixing the defense while the offense blew people out of the building.

It was happening, and in retrospect it will seem obvious, as Marshall, Clady, and Cutler become perennial all-pros, if they aren't there already.

Dedhed
09-17-2010, 05:56 AM
What he needed was time for the offense to mature?

Like another decade?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-17-2010, 05:56 AM
Yes he is.

Taking over a 4-12 team in what is arguably the toughest division in football- this year will show what a fantastic coach and personnel man he truly is.

Trading for Mcnabb was a masterstroke.

Meanwhile the Denver Clownshoes have 10 men on the field while giving up a game deciding touchdown

Taking over a 4-12 team and... and... winning their first game! At home! Against an overrated Cowboys team that could not get out of its own way!

Championship!

You do know that he could still go 4-12 this year, correct?

Frankly, I can't wait for the Washington Cockbags to have 10 men on the field for an opponent touchdown. What will the excuse be then?

Fact is, it happens all the time.

PrivateBeef, you're a moron.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Shanahan never had a 2-9 stretch in Denver.McDaniels is entering territory that hasn't been matched since the pre-John Ralston years.

how exciting for you! Hurry and put on your "told you so" shirt so you can be so proud of what you've said.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-17-2010, 05:58 AM
This is a ridiculous argument.

What he needed was time for the offense to mature, and then to spend 2-3 offseasons fixing the defense while the offense blew people out of the building.

It was happening, and in retrospect it will seem obvious, as Marshall, Clady, and Cutler become perennial all-pros, if they aren't there already.

It was happening? Is that why we were 2nd in yards and 16th in scoring?

You're right. We were really blowing people out of the building. In yardage.

Christ, you ARE a ****ing retard, aren't ya kiddo?

jhns
09-17-2010, 06:21 AM
It was happening? Is that why we were 2nd in yards and 16th in scoring?

You're right. We were really blowing people out of the building. In yardage.

Christ, you ARE a ****ing retard, aren't ya kiddo?

LOL

He is the retard as you use team stats to show the offense wasn't scoring? I would say that makes you the retard. Not that we needed this to see it.

Shanahan is going to turn a top 5 pick team around much faster than your hero can turn around a .500 team. It is sad.

TonyR
09-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Trading for Mcnabb was a masterstroke...

TBD. This Eagles regime has a very strong track record of letting players go at the right time. The fact they let him go within the division says a lot. He still has some gas in the tank but if you're expecting miracles out of him you're going to be disappointed.

TonyR
09-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Shanahan is going to turn a top 5 pick team around much faster than your hero can turn around a .500 team. It is sad.

Maybe, but you could make an argument that Washington had more pieces in place when Shanahan took over than Denver did when McDaniels took over. The Skins have a good deal of talent on defense, had a high draft pick to address their biggest need on offense other than QB, and McNabb being available was very fortuitous. McD got 30+ players who didn't belong in the league, a train wreck of a defense, and an overrated offense led by an overrated young QB.

jhns
09-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Maybe, but you could make an argument that Washington had more pieces in place when Shanahan took over than Denver did when McDaniels took over. The Skins have a good deal of talent on defense, had a high draft pick to address their biggest need on offense other than QB, and McNabb being available was very fortuitous. McD got 30+ players who didn't belong in the league, a train wreck of a defense, and an overrated offense led by an overrated young QB.

Whatever you say. .500 vs top 5 pick team. The difference is Shanahan keeps his talent and adds to it.

What will you say if he wins more games this season? McDaniels had his own roster last season and got to add to it this season. All of your excuses would only apply if it was still McDaniels first year.

Steve Sewell
09-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Whatever you say. .500 vs top 5 pick team. The difference is Shanahan keeps his talent and adds to it.

What will you say if he wins more games this season? McDaniels had his own roster last season and got to add to it this season. All of your excuses would only apply if it was still McDaniels first year.

Perhaps you don't appreciate the true level of incompetence demonstrated by the Redskins coaching staff under Zorn. The Skins had a top flight defense last year. Shanahan has a way of taking scrubs and making a serviceable if not above average offense with the right QB in place.

All signs point to Washington having a much better year than last year based on coaching alone.

Also, the notion of "Shanahan keeps his talent and adds to it" is just completely absurd on so many levels I don't know how to begin. Can you just for once post an opinion without trying to find a way to criticize McD? Or are you just trolling for people to start arguments with you? It would appear to be the latter.

bowtown
09-17-2010, 07:32 AM
The difference is Shanahan keeps his talent and adds to it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/09/report_albert_haynesworth_trad.html

Report: Albert Haynesworth, trade talks continue
The Albert Haynesworth trade-talk rumor-reports haven't gone away and, really, why would you expect them to just because the Redskins beat the Cowboys?

In a replay of last week, ESPN's Chris Mortensen (via Pro Football Talk), reported that the Redskins "could try" to trade Haynesworth through Tuesday and the Tennessee Titans, Haynesworth's former team, remain the most likely partner.

Steve Sewell
09-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Ahem...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/1990.htm

Granted it wasn't Shanahan, but it has been matched, with a HoF QB at the reigns.

jhns
09-17-2010, 07:54 AM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/09/report_albert_haynesworth_trad.html

Report: Albert Haynesworth, trade talks continue
The Albert Haynesworth trade-talk rumor-reports haven't gone away and, really, why would you expect them to just because the Redskins beat the Cowboys?

In a replay of last week, ESPN's Chris Mortensen (via Pro Football Talk), reported that the Redskins "could try" to trade Haynesworth through Tuesday and the Tennessee Titans, Haynesworth's former team, remain the most likely partner.

Come back when they trade him. He was going to the Titans since before the draft. The team has always denied it. It seems the reporters are stringing you along for nothing.

Why do I think he will turn them around? Because Mike Shanahan is a great coach and is very motivated again.

jhns
09-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Also, the notion of "Shanahan keeps his talent and adds to it" is just completely absurd on so many levels I don't know how to begin.

I don't follow. Who has he gotten rid of that was good? I can name multiple good players that he has brought in to help the team. I am failing to see where I am wrong.

Lev Vyvanse
09-17-2010, 07:59 AM
The difference is Shanahan keeps his talent and adds to it.

Every team in the NFL loses talent in free agency. No exceptions.

Lev Vyvanse
09-17-2010, 08:01 AM
I don't follow. Who has he gotten rid of that was good? I can name multiple good players that he has brought in to help the team. I am failing to see where I am wrong.

Trevor Pryce, Clinton portis, Shannon Sharpe, Bertrand Berry, Keith Traylor, Tory James, Ted Washington and Dan Williams. That I can think of I'm sure there are many more.

baja
09-17-2010, 08:02 AM

He let Shannon Sharp go to Bmore He let Pryce walk cut Domnick Dixson and Carl Paymoth.

jhns
09-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Trevor Pryce, Clinton portis, Shannon Sharpe, Bertrand Berry, Keith Traylor, Tory James, Ted Washington and Dan Williams. That I can think of I'm sure there are many more.

So he got people to come out of retirement to get rid of them? How did he convince the Ravens to give up Pryce? Why did he resign Portis right after getting rid of him? This all seems very strange to me. Maybe I should follow the skins more.

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 08:08 AM
He must have meant in Washington. shanny kept his talent in Washington. idk. It's a stupid argument either way.

Lev Vyvanse
09-17-2010, 08:11 AM
He must have meant in Washington. shanny kept his talent in Washington. idk. It's a stupid argument either way.

Soooo... He's talking about one offseason. Only one game has been played how the hell would anyone even judge?

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Soooo... He's talking about one offseason. Only one game has been played how the hell would anyone even judge?

Hence the , 'stupid argument', comment.

jhns
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM

Well, yeah. The conversation was pretty clear until people took comments out of context. This is about why Shanahan is going to turn around the Redskins before McDaniels can turn this team around.

How is it a dumb argument when no one can come up with a talented player that Shanahan got rid of?

jhns
09-17-2010, 08:17 AM

How would we judge if he kept his talent on the team? By looking at who he got rid of....

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 08:22 AM
So, you're saying that Mcd/X releasing 32 players that could not make a roster anywhere else in the NFL was a dumb move by the rookie head coach and proof that shanny is better. And don't bring pick6 and 'I slipped on a mcdonalds bag' into this. Cut pouted his way out (good riddance) and marsh punted his way to south beach.

bowtown
09-17-2010, 08:24 AM
How would we judge if he kept his talent on the team? By looking at who he got rid of....

Randal El had the same number of catches last weekend as their #2 and #3 WRs combined.

jhns
09-17-2010, 08:26 AM
So, you're saying that Mcd/X releasing 32 players that could not make a roster anywhere else in the NFL was a dumb move by the rookie head coach and proof that shanny is better. And don't bring pick6 and 'I slipped on a mcdonalds bag' into this. Cut pouted his way out (good riddance) and marsh punted his way to south beach.

You are not very good at spins. You are great at not reading and making up arguments though. Good job. Be proud of yourself.

jhns
09-17-2010, 08:30 AM
How about we just leave this talent thing alone since people are getting upset and trying to spin it into all kinds of dumb arguments.

Let's just leave it at: Shanahan is going to turn a top 5 pick team around before McDaniels can turn a .500 team around. Yes, you guys have lots of excuses for McDaniels. Great. A real coach like Shanahan doesn't need excuses or spins. Just wait and see.

The end.

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Well done jhns. Concise, clearly stated challenge. I have bookmarked the thread and look forward to returning to it later in the season.

For the record I think that shanny is a HOF head coach and always felt that we had a punchers chance at doing something special every year with him at the helm.

That said I like the philosphy of this Denver team a lot. Premium on short yardage situations on the offense. Good aggressive D. Haven't seen results yet, but it is clear what type of identity McD wants for this team.

Beantown Bronco
09-17-2010, 08:45 AM
I am failing

Best to just leave it at that.

troya900
09-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Come back when they trade him. He was going to the Titans since before the draft. The team has always denied it. It seems the reporters are stringing you along for nothing.

Why do I think he will turn them around? Because Mike Shanahan is a great coach and is very motivated again.

Ding ding ding, your own words make your whining about Shanahan look just dumb. Shanahan grew stale here, year after year of crappy defenses and fading teams down the stretch. Yes, he may be motivated again, but that was never going to happen in Denver so I fail to see the point of all your whining about how Shanahan will turn them around faster.

jhns
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Ding ding ding, your own words make your whining about Shanahan look just dumb. Shanahan grew stale here, year after year of crappy defenses and fading teams down the stretch. Yes, he may be motivated again, but that was never going to happen in Denver so I fail to see the point of all your whining about how Shanahan will turn them around faster.

Your post doesn't even make sense. When did anyone argue that Shanahan should still be the coach here?

troya900
09-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Your post doesn't even make sense. When did anyone argue that Shanahan should still be the coach here?

And that's the whole point, he's not, so why are you comparing how well he'll do to McDaniels. Who cares if he turns Washington around faster. He would never have done that here in Denver so what is the argument about unless you just like to whine and complain. Look maybe McDaniels ultimately will be a big failure here, but Denver had to move in a different direction from Shanahan so what else do you want?? He's been the Broncos coach a year and one game, can't you give him a little time to see how this all unfolds good god.

jhns
09-17-2010, 09:06 AM
He's been the Broncos coach a year and one game, can't you give him a little time to see how this all unfolds good god.

Nope.

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 09:07 AM
And that's the whole point, he's not, so why are you comparing how well he'll do to McDaniels. Who cares if he turns Washington around faster. He would never have done that here in Denver so what is the argument about unless you just like to whine and complain. Look maybe McDaniels ultimately will be a big failure here, but Denver had to move in a different direction from Shanahan so what else do you want?? He's been the Broncos coach a year and one game, can't you give him a little time to see how this all unfolds good god.

See post 96. I think Jhns' point is pretty straight forward.

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 09:08 AM
He's been the Broncos coach a year and one game, can't you give him a little time to see how this all unfolds good god.

Nope.

You don't have a choice.

Steve Sewell
09-17-2010, 09:11 AM
How about we just leave this talent thing alone since people are getting upset and trying to spin it into all kinds of dumb arguments.

Let's just leave it at: Shanahan is going to turn a top 5 pick team around before McDaniels can turn a .500 team around. Yes, you guys have lots of excuses for McDaniels. Great. A real coach like Shanahan doesn't need excuses or spins. Just wait and see.

The end.

I could have coached the Skins to a 4-12 record last year. Jim Zorn was their HC, and Snyder hired Sherman out of retirement calling BINGO games to come in an start running the O.

No one is denying that Shanahan is a good coach and will significantly improve their offense, but it's not like the Skins defense was bereft of talent.

Again it appears that you are trolling by setting unrealistic parameters with which to compare coaches. I wonder why?

bowtown
09-17-2010, 09:13 AM
I could have coached the Skins to a 4-12 record last year. Jim Zorn was their HC, and Snyder hired Sherman out of retirement calling BINGO games to come in an start running the O.

No one is denying that Shanahan is a good coach and will significantly improve their offense, but it's not like the Skins defense was bereft of talent.

Again it appears that you are trolling by setting unrealistic parameters with which to compare coaches. I wonder why?

Smaller words for jhns please.

jhns
09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
You don't have a choice.

Exactly, which is why my opinions shouldn't matter to any of you. McDaniels will most likely be here for at least 3 more years. I doubt he gets fired before his contract is up unless he has a 2 win season.

Steve Sewell
09-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Exactly, which is why my opinions shouldn't matter to any of you. McDaniels will most likely be here for at least 3 more years. I doubt he gets fired before his contract is up unless he has a 2 win season.

Ok so now that we are settled on that...is there anything that you like about Josh McDaniels? Lets hear some positives!

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 09:18 AM
McD will win a superbowl before shanny, startinggggggggggggg NOW!

jhns
09-17-2010, 09:19 AM

How are they inrealistic? How about this. What I said will be true even if we throw out McDaniels rookie year. Let's just start it this year and act like McDaniels got to start with the team he put together last year. Is that still unrealistic? Probably. McDaniels will continue to get excuses as Shanahan gets it done.

They were a top 5 pick team and you guys are saying it is unrealistic to expect a .500 team to be turned around faster. Funny stuff.

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 09:19 AM
*unrealistic.

troya900
09-17-2010, 09:20 AM
See post 96. I think Jhns' point is pretty straight forward.

Yeah and his point is well, pointless. I don't think you'd get many arguments about having a refocused, rejuvenated head coach like shanahan that would light the nfl on fire ala '96-'98 over McDaniels but it is what it is. Maybe that will happen with Washington maybe not, but it would never have happened in Denver, he just grew stale here and he needed a change so I fail to see how this comparison is even relevant to the situation.

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 09:22 AM
...so I fail to see how this comparison is even relevant to the situation.

Good. Then stop talking about it.

jhns
09-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Ok so now that we are settled on that...is there anything that you like about Josh McDaniels? Lets hear some positives!

Sure, I like what he does in free agency. His signings have been pretty good. The one bad one was in a year with no cap so it didn't matter.

troya900
09-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Good. Then stop talking about it.

Tell that to jhns he's the one that won't quit whining about it.

Steve Sewell
09-17-2010, 09:27 AM
How are they inrealistic? How about this. What I said will be true even if we throw out McDaniels rookie year. Let's just start it this year and act like McDaniels got to start with the team he put together last year. Is that still unrealistic? Probably. McDaniels will continue to get excuses as Shanahan gets it done.

They were a top 5 pick team and you guys are saying it is unrealistic to expect a .500 team to be turned around faster. Funny stuff.

They were a top 5 pick team because they had Jim Zorn as their head coach. Talent-wise, they are not a top 5 pick team. This is the 3rd time I've mentioned it, hopefully you won't intentionally ignore it again.

bowtown
09-17-2010, 09:29 AM
They were a top 5 pick team because they had Jim Zorn as their head coach. Talent-wise, they are not a top 5 pick team. This is the 3rd time I've mentioned it, hopefully you won't intentionally ignore it again.

He's not ignoring you. His phone can't show rational arguments. He just gets a red x, which he thinks means: "say the same thing over and over again."

jhns
09-17-2010, 09:32 AM

So what would you say their talent level was before Shanahan made any moves? Were they a .500 team? A playoff team? Was Campbell and that offense really playoff caliber now? They just needed coaching?

Also, Shanahan switched schemes and brought in a ton of new players. Why aren't these being used as excuses for why he won't be better? I have heard these excuses used a ton for another coach we know.

Eldorado
09-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Kubiaks going to bring the pain on shanny this weekend.

Lev Vyvanse
09-17-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/argument.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=829)

baja
09-17-2010, 09:45 AM
One thing to consider if jhns were't here there would be no posts today.