PDA

View Full Version : New Feature: Back-to-back posts merge

Taco John
01-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey all...

I just added a new feature to the board that I think many will appreciate...

I'm the worst at making back-to-back posts, rather than hitting edit and adding my new thoughts to the last post I made... Well, the board will now take care of that... Instead of seeing 3 or four posts in a row by the same user, the board software now automatically adds the new post to the last post that I made (until someone responds again).

This should help cut down on some of the clutter and save some bandwidth...

:thumbs:

Bo
01-16-2004, 01:37 PM
How does it affect post counts?

Taco John
01-16-2004, 01:40 PM
You have a good opportunity there to test it for yourself... but didn't take it...

it merges the posts, so a new post isn't made...

Blueflame
01-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Sounds like a great idea, TJ! :thumbsup:

Bo
01-16-2004, 01:43 PM
You have a good opportunity there to test it for yourself... but didn't take it...

it merges the posts, so a new post isn't made...

OK

Thanks

I see now........ :clap:

Crushaholic
01-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Fantastic idea! More rep points for you... :clap:

Dang! It says I have to spread the rep around. Oh well, I'll get back to you on the rep points... :approve:

PatsWin2002
01-16-2004, 01:50 PM
So, like when Mock posts like 7 times in a row, it will all be put into 1 post unless another poster interrupts his streak.

(That's not a slam on Mock, I just know his habits....especially when it's like 3AM and traffic is slow and he goes back and adds new thoughts as they come to him.)

What about time restrictions? Can you post back-to-back if enough time has elapsed (like with a "bump")?

Am I like a 4 year old with 75 consecutive questions in rapid-fire succession?

Test!

*Hey it works! - this is post #3

Taco John
01-16-2004, 01:51 PM
In short, yes... I think Mock and myself are the worst at it, though others do it too... It will merge the posts... When it merges the post, it also updates the time and bumps the thread to reflect the newer time...

frerottenextelway
01-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Technology! Everyone thinks TJ is working hard on the site, but really, he's just like a kid in a candy store with this stuff. ;)

orange 4 life
01-16-2004, 02:26 PM
that explains the question i had!!

i just posted two consecutive on another thread and was cinfused to see them merged.

anyway, while it might help the short posts, sometimes myself, mock, or you taco will INTENTIONALLY break up long post into two to either emphasize a new thought OR just shorten the post to make it easier to read.

another question is what happens if youre tryin to quote someone.
sometimes ill post 3 or 4 in a row in a thread with all posts responses to quotes from others. will those still be separate?
thanks,

jake

Technology! Everyone thinks TJ is working hard on the site, but really, he's just like a kid in a candy store with this stuff. ;)

no response to you gus, just trying to answer my own question.

see how disjointed this is getting.

i dont know taco.

no offense but i dont like it at all.

its nice to be able to quote DIFFERENT people and have different posts to differentiate.
i think this will actaully cause confusion.

jake

Blueflame
01-16-2004, 02:31 PM

i just posted two consecutive on another thread and was cinfused to see them merged.

anyway, while it might help the short posts, sometimes myself, mock, or you taco will INTENTIONALLY break up long post into two to either emphasize a new thought OR just shorten the post to make it easier to read.

sometimes ill post 3 or 4 in a row in a thread with all posts responses to quotes from others. will those still be separate?
thanks,

jake

i dont know taco.

its nice to be able to quote DIFFERENT people and have different posts to differentiate.

jake

In the event that it looks like your posts will be consecutive, one could add lines or stars or something to indicate a separate thought...

Like this....

baja
01-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey look it's retroactive - Mock has only 400 posts!

Blueflame
01-16-2004, 02:33 PM

In short, yes... I think Mock and myself are the worst at it, though others do it too... It will merge the posts... When it merges the post, it also updates the time and bumps the thread to reflect the newer time...

Personally, I like it... it will save time for those of us who edit our last post if no one else has posted...

baja
01-16-2004, 02:40 PM
I don't like it that much for the same reasons Jake doesn't like it.

orange 4 life
01-16-2004, 02:46 PM

thanks,

jake

i dont know taco.

jake

im getting carried away so sorry, but the "no resonse....." line was one post, and the "see how disjointed...." sentence was another.

can we at least make the posts with quotes separate please?

jake

PatsWin2002
01-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey TJ, I just realized we lost the checkboxes so we can reply to multiple posts in one post.

That feature would be encouraged and helpful with this new merging stuff.

Right now you'd have to reply to individual questions asked directly at you in separate posts...which may be merged and could look confusing and read kinda funny.

Can you implement an HR HTML tag or or something between merged items?
<hr>
Like this!

I think I just repeated some of what Jake was talking about....but it was all one thought as I was typing. I'd like those checkboxes back, though.

Moon§hiner
01-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Hey look it's retroactive - Mock has only 400 posts!
LOL .....I have to admit that I do it on occasion, usually it's because another thought came to mind a bit afterward...I really don't look at my post count when I do it....I thnk it's a good idea re: adding the stars to break up the posts if something is added

orange 4 life
01-16-2004, 02:52 PM
In the event that it looks like your posts will be consecutive, one could add lines or stars or something to indicate a separate thought...

Like this....

did i need these asterisks? has someone posted while im typing this? who knows?

i see your point flame, but i think editing is MUCH easier than remembering/wondering if you should use astersiks.

just my opinion, and i see that hat god agree's.

anyone else?

call me crazy or a whiner, and im truly sorry if i come off that way, but the more i think about it i REALLY dont like this feature.
if im in the minority ill deal, and i REALLY appreciate all taco's hard work, but this one strikes me as a step in the wrong direction.

jake

Blueflame
01-16-2004, 02:58 PM

did i need these asterisks? has someone posted while im typing this? who knows?

i see your point flame, but i think editing is MUCH easier than remembering/wondering if you should use astersiks.

just my opinion, and i see that hat god agree's.

anyone else?

call me crazy or a whiner, and im truly sorry if i come off that way, but the more i think about it i REALLY dont like this feature.
if im in the minority ill deal, and i REALLY appreciate all taco's hard work, but this one strikes me as a step in the wrong direction.

jake

Yeah... that was what I was thinking... particularly when the board's not too active, the *s would be easy to add. But I like Patswin's idea of an automatic HR HTML tag even better. That would break up separate thoughts without needing any extra effort. ;D

Taco John
01-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Well, let's just give it a run and see how it works... Nothing is set in stone...

PatsWin2002
01-16-2004, 03:04 PM
call me crazy or a whiner.........

How about "Crazy Whiner"? Ha!

OK, before you go for the negative rep button.........your points are well taken and I think it could be a bad thing depending on the limitations of the software (or the guy implementing it!.....oh crap, more bad rep).

baja
01-16-2004, 03:12 PM
i JUST WANT TO POST SO pATSWIN CAN COMPARE THE TWO TEMPERATURES

Blueflame
01-16-2004, 03:14 PM
That's quite a temperature difference!

Hey next post is #2700, Baja! :egbgb:

baja
01-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Yikes!

Blue if i stare at your avatar too much I will have to swap the hats on my avatar.

Blueflame
01-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Yikes!

Blue if i stare at your avatar too much I will have to swap the hats on my avatar.

LOL ;D

listopencil
01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I like it! I'm on Dial-Up and hate waiting for the entire page to load when someone posts after themselves. And I will forget stuff that pops into mind as soon as I hit the button to finalise my post. Now if you could only add an automatic spelling fixer...

FADERPROOF
01-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I think it's pretty good.

But hopefully we can get some sort of timer on it, like I just posted something about the Dodgers, then heard a breaking report and came back 15 minutes later to announce that the Seligs are selling the Brewers.

2 totally different remarks seperated by a good length of time, and should get their own seperate message for people to respond to.

PatsWin2002
01-16-2004, 04:11 PM
i JUST WANT TO POST SO pATSWIN CAN COMPARE THE TWO TEMPERATURES

That's awesome - I guess you found one of those temperature thingy's.

I suppose a 60F difference is pretty significant!

baja
01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
I like it! I'm on Dial-Up and hate waiting for the entire page to load when someone posts after themselves. And I will forget stuff that pops into mind as soon as I hit the button to finalise my post. Now if you could only add an automatic spelling fixer...

Your sig line probably slows things up as much as any double post would

That's awesome - I guess you found one of those temperature thingy's.

I suppose a 60F difference is pretty significant!

Problem is it'll still be 60 degrees higher in August.

Rock Chalk
01-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Should cut down baja and mock's post counts.

baja
01-16-2004, 06:09 PM
I like making successive posts - what's wrong with that

TheNextStep
01-16-2004, 06:35 PM
That's a pretty cool feature, TJ...

(Second post)

And now to test it...

Rock Chalk
01-16-2004, 06:42 PM

But hopefully we can get some sort of timer on it, like I just posted something about the Dodgers, then heard a breaking report and came back 15 minutes later to announce that the Seligs are selling the Brewers.

2 totally different remarks seperated by a good length of time, and should get their own seperate message for people to respond to.

I was just going to ask about this.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2004, 08:57 PM
neato

test

sweet

Rock Chalk
01-16-2004, 09:39 PM

thanks,

jake

i dont know taco.

jake

Maybe someone already brought this up but there used to be a feature you could check a box in each post to quote multiple posts in a single reply. It doesn't seem to be there anymore though and if Taco re-implemented this it would help that little problem of yours Jake.

Personally. I cant keep a train of thought long enough to quote several people at once.

I do like the idea of the merging though. this keeps Chef Boy in Texas from knokcing off 8 posts in a row of complete garbage and having half a screen of "This person is on your ignore list" ;D. When there is only one post by an ignored user I rarely even notice it is there.

listopencil
01-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Your sig line probably slows things up as much as any double post would.

Your browser should just show an image placeholder (if anything at all) while it loads the rest of the page first. This at least allows you to scroll down and read everyone's remarks before the page loads. The board only loads one separate post at a time while images finish up later, so multiple consecutive posts actually slow things down much more than my sig line ever would.

Pezman
01-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Pretty sweet!

Let's test this stuff...

whoa, its kinda funky... but the gameday threads should be much better and less disjointed (sp)

Bronco Yoda
01-17-2004, 05:21 AM
LOL Hey look it's retroactive - Mock has only 400 posts!

Maybe someone already brought this up but there used to be a feature you could check a box in each post to quote multiple posts in a single reply. It doesn't seem to be there anymore though and if Taco re-implemented this it would help that little problem of yours Jake.

I do like the idea of the merging though. this keeps Chef Boy in Texas from knokcing off 8 posts in a row of complete garbage and having half a screen of "This person is on your ignore list" ;D. When there is only one post by an ignored user I rarely even notice it is there.

Good points Alec :thumbsup:

...now let's see how this new feature works

I will say this though....This might further encourage page spamming by someone who's interested in just inflating their post counts and/or just want to ramble a bit. Where they might have just been content to sticking to a single thread for the the wee hours now I'm afraid they'll just churn over more pages of threads and creating new ones like rabbits.

The 'subscription' feature has really kept my interest here again. In years past i'd come in here and you'd lose a thread from the day before from rabbit postings.

Swedish Extrovert
01-17-2004, 11:53 AM
lets see how this works

testing

Garcia Bronco
01-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Damn Mock...this might cut into your post count

baja
01-17-2004, 09:51 PM
I still don't like this feature much - there are times when a totally unrelated thought needs it's own post and there are times when a related comment needs to show as an after though and the second post does that.

I bet Mock hates this as well (shoulda been a second post)

-Slap-
01-18-2004, 04:51 PM

I totally agree with this idea.

Rock Chalk
01-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Let's cry about it some more fella's.

If they are unrelated thoughts, make anew thread.

Taco John
01-18-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm looking into the modification ideas I've heard to see their feasibility...

This still isn't a permanent feature, but to be honest, so far I like it...

Rock Chalk
01-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Me too TJ. Seriously cuts down on the repetitiveness of some of the poster's one line posts.

baja
01-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Let's cry about it some more fella's.

If they are unrelated thoughts, make anew thread.

Who's crying, he asked for opinions they are being given.

watermock
01-19-2004, 05:14 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=49&dateline=1074439475

I can take your posts seriously.

baja
01-19-2004, 05:18 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=242&dateline=1074036515 What ever do you mean??

watermock
01-19-2004, 05:21 AM
Anyone with a penis for a nose should be listened to carefully. IMO.

baja
01-19-2004, 05:40 AM
Excuse me, are you calling me a pecker head?

watermock
01-19-2004, 05:55 AM
Of course not, I was calling you a dickhead.

baja
01-19-2004, 05:57 AM
Oh for a minute there I thought you were insulting me.