PDA

View Full Version : Maroney traded to Broncos

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Denver724
09-14-2010, 03:11 PM
So we have traded our 4th (Maroney), 5th (Thompson/Kirlew) and 6th (Mays) ... and gotten a 6th in return. So we have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th and
7th at this point? Is that accurate?

I think the 6th for Mays is in 2012. I think we owe Cleveland a 6th for Quinn. Someone may need to confirm.

Hulamau
Why's that? Because you tards saw one play of a good receiving TE beating Haggan? YA HE SUCKS OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Its the Madden generation. After each game a roster redo is in order.

yerner
Does this guy give them anything significantly more than someone like Fargas? I've seen them both play alot and I would say no. Additionally, the radio in Boston had been speculating that he was going to be released outright. Why not just take a shot then? If they don't get him, big deal. I guess I'm a hater though.

baja
09-14-2010, 03:12 PM

Man there is a whole pile of truth right there. rep

Hulamau
09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Willing to bet Aarian Foster is a system back.

Was being sarcastic there MVP :pimp:

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Does this guy give them anything significantly more than someone like Fargas? I've seen them both play alot and I would say no. Additionally, the radio in Boston had been speculating that he was going to be released outright. Why not just take a shot then? If they don't get him, big deal. I guess I'm a hater though.

Fargas and his knee were shot.

And radio speculation doesn't make it a certainty, especially when Belichick is involved.

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Harsh

gyldenlove
09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Nice Maroney has 5 more 100 yard rushing games than Moreno.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Was being sarcastic there MVP :pimp:

I know just throwing a comment out there. :thumbsup:

TheElusiveKyleOrton

How about actually being able to see the field?

Walking without a limp?

Ability to make a cut?

I'm just throwing some things out there that Fargas didn't show ANYone in this preseason. I could continue, I suppose, but I won't.

baja
We basically got him for a 5th... geez

The MVPlaya
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1060795/drunk-faceplant-o.gif

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Man there is a whole pile of truth right there. rep

Baja since you proposed a Trade with the Packers what position you consider upgrading, or adding adding depth to?

Josh McDaniels
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
...no, actually.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/Stefangs/1-84.jpg

cutthemdown
09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Had to try something but really just another avg player added to an avg offense.

cutthemdown
09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Packers could also use a RB. Losing Grant really hurts them because he was a physical runner. Jackson not as physical and IMO will go do down himself within next 5 games.

baja
Baja since you proposed a Trade with the Packers what position you consider upgrading, or adding adding depth to?

mainly a joke because they need a RB and we now have an extra.

Inkana7
Good trade. Maroney won that 2007 AFC Championship game against the Chargers.

NFLBRONCO
09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Slowest RB's in NFL

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Slowest RB's in NFL

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/5337.html

Laurence Maroney Grade: 4.17
Position: RB
Class: Jr
School: Minnesota
Conference: Big Ten
Ht., Wt.: 6-0, 217
40 Time: 4.48
Selected by: New England Patriots
Round 1, pick 21 (21 overall)

Hulamau
I know just throwing a comment out there. :thumbsup:

Duly noted MVP

Taco John
Why didn't they make this deal in early August if they were going to make it at all?

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Slowest RB's in NFL

Right, because Ron Dayne, Michael Pittman, etc were burners.

Arian Foster ran a 4.73 and then a 4.69.

Dumbest mother ****er = NFLBRONCO

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Why didn't they make this deal in early August if they were going to make it at all?

Maybe Patriots had a higher asking price?

Broncoman13
09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Not thrilled with that. It makes sense on paper, but I wonder what the issue is with the guy. Maybe they just think Taylor is better and since Maroney can't play ST he's in no man's land? Maybe a change of scenery is needed, but the Pats don't usually trade guys away that do well on other teams. We'll see. He's better than what was there he's worth a fourth. However I hope we trade for more picks this year.

I thought Maroney was their kick returner for a couple years... seem to remember him specifically taking a Kickoff back for 6. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he can at least return kicks.

baja

Maybe because they did not know Buck was going to break down.

Inkana7
Slowest RB's in NFL

Maroney ran a 4.46 at his Pro Day.

Taco John
09-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Maybe Patriots had a higher asking price?

We're more desperate now than we were then. I'd think the price would have gone up by now, not down.

baja
09-14-2010, 03:28 PM
We're more desperate now than we were then. I'd think the price would have gone up by now, not down.

Or maybe because he wasn't available then

Taco John
09-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Maybe because they did not know Buck was going to break down.

Everyone on this entire forum knew that Buck was going to break down. I can easily find about a billion references to his durability problems from the Joe Blows on this forum in the last 30 days alone.

Irish Stout
09-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I like it. Think Maroney makes a good 10 carry a game back.

broncocalijohn
Good trade. Maroney won that 2007 AFC Championship game against the Chargers.

in football years, that is one hell of a long time.

Rulon Velvet Jones

Exactly. 40-times mean jack****. Game speed is what matters.

By the same measure in the 2006 Draft, Maroney was up there with Jones-Drew, Bush and D. Williams.

baja
Everyone on this entire forum knew that Buck was going to break down. I can easily find about a billion references to his durability problems from the Joe Blows on this forum in the last 30 days alone.

That's just not true TJ

eddie mac
A 4th for Maroney
A 5th for LeKevin Smith
Pats stealing Barrett off waivers then putting him on IR so they keep him
Trading
A 7th for Hochstein
A 4th to move up 2 spots for an injured WR

Carlsberg dont do NFL trades between the Broncos and Patriots but if they did McDaniels' red ring would be priceless.

Taco John
09-14-2010, 03:30 PM
That's just not true TJ

Ok, not a billion. Maybe a hundred.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 03:30 PM

How are we more desperate now since Moreno is healthy?

Price has gone DOWN by now if anything, Patriots have to carry him on the 53-man roster and not play him and pay him.

Buckhalter really only had a fumble, I'm not sure where all this talk about Buck is coming from... he had a fumble but that was actually a 1st down gain on a 2nd and long.

It could be right though.

Broncoman13
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM

pWNED ;D

I always get a kick out of people that talk about a RBs speed. After seeing TD take so many to the house I quit caring about straight line speed. Not to say that speed doesn't help b/c it does, but if that's all you have you'll end up a T-Mobile at Park Meadows Mall eventually. LOL

What does everyone think of Pierre Thomas? Curious b/c I think he is a tremendous back that has showed plenty of speed/power and results. Moreno is very similar. Speed wise, build wise, the whole 9. Moreno is going to be just fine.

TonyR
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Anybody criticizing this trade either needs some perspective or is really stupid, and perhaps both. We needed to upgrade the depth at the RB position because neither Moreno or Buckhalter are healthy and we lost White for the year. Who do you people really think is going to be available at the price the Broncos paid here? I mean seriously, what do you really expect? You think teams are just giving up starting caliber RB's? Maroney isn't a world beater but he's pretty good and if he stays healthy most likely well worth the compensation. Some of you idiots complain about the production at the RB position and then complain when we go out and get a solid pro. Sheesh.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 03:32 PM
If Buck is healthy, he's a great change of pace back. Is he not healthy or something? What am I missing here?

PRBronco
Exactly. 40-times mean jack****. Game speed is what matters.

By the same measure in the 2006 Draft, Maroney was up there with Jones-Drew, Bush and D. Williams.

Oh really? Tatum Bell's, Darren McFadden's and Chris Johnson's Super Bowl rings beg to differ.

Oh wait a second...

Taco John

Is he? I'm not sold on that.

baja
Ok, not a billion. Maybe a hundred.

With an older back there is always concern about his staying healthy but running out of gas not so much.

Since it's so easy find me three.

BigPlayShay
I thought Maroney was their kick returner for a couple years... seem to remember him specifically taking a Kickoff back for 6. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he can at least return kicks.

You are right:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Backfield-Gets-a-Boost/7995d50d-19c6-40b1-9bd7-1c7a1d0002b6

He has contributed as a kickoff returner as well, earning AFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors after returning a kickoff 77 yards at Buffalo on Oct. 22, 2006. For his career, he averages 25.9 yards per return. He has returned three kickoffs more than 40 yards, and 29 more than 20 yards.

NFLBRONCO
09-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Maroney ran a 4.46 at his Pro Day.

Thanks for numbers he just never impressed me in NE. I was more scared of Faulk.

fontaine
09-14-2010, 03:34 PM
A 4th for Maroney
A 5th for LeKevin Smith
Trading
A 7th for Hochstein

Carlsberg dont do NFL trades between the Broncos and Patriots but if they did McDaniels' red ring would be priceless.

:spit:

Wait, I thought the problem with the running game was the OL?

Oh well, doesn't matter, do whatever it takes to get the running game back in top gear.

Just get it done.

baja
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Price has gone DOWN by now if anything, Patriots have to carry him on the 53-man roster and not play him and pay him.

Buckhalter really only had a fumble, I'm not sure where all this talk about Buck is coming from... he had a fumble but that was actually a 1st down gain on a 2nd and long.

It could be right though.

I was surprised to see how much his skills appeared to have diminished.

Rulon Velvet Jones
I hope he doesn't return kicks.

I like Cox deep in the back-end.

barryr
You can never have too many RB's so how this is a bad move is only by those that don't know about about the game.

listopencil
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I hope he doesn't return kicks.

I like Cox deep in the back-end.

Maybe you should ask Blart.

ColoradoDarin
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM
We didn't wait for him to be released outright because 1) he was on the roster this week and the Pats didn't need that roster spot desperately and 2) the Packers.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM

I vaguely remember his carries other than the fumble. I'm pretty sure some had no blocking either. I'd really have to see again. He didn't get many chances to begin with.

Taco John
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
With an older back there is always concern about his staying healthy but running out of gas not so much.

Since it's so easy find me three.

No problem...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2927588&highlight=Buckhalter#post2927588

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2880743&highlight=Buckhalter#post2880857

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2919255&highlight=Buckhalter#post2919255

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM

I'm not seeing that at all. Buck is a RB that has explosive quickness and IF he can stay healthy he's a great addition the the backfield. It's never been about his talent, it's always been about his ability to stay healthy.

all the peeps saying "we are slow, we have no speed at RB" don't have a friggen CLUE as to what the hell they are talking about. Buckhalter is every bit as explosive as a RB like Jamaal all-world Charles.

eddie mac
09-14-2010, 03:42 PM
It totally smacks of either desperation or the fact our front office doesn't value draft selections after the first couple of rounds at all.

Going by the first 2 attempts I'd say it's the latter. Given it's very early still, I wont be too hard on the fact that thus far they've dealt a 1st rd pick for a practice squad TE probably because the TE they drafted in the 2nd rd has been as useful to date as a Mile High Salute in January or the fact they dealt numerous picks for an $100m merchandise pay day from Florida. Let's just hope good old Pat reinvests some of that merchandise money back into the team otherwise we'll still be trading draft picks for players not wanted by other teams come September.

Good luck Maroney.

TonyR
09-14-2010, 03:43 PM
We didn't wait for him to be released outright because 1) he was on the roster this week and the Pats didn't need that roster spot desperately and 2) the Packers.

Yup. They have no reason to release him as they'd most definitely find a taker. I'm not sure why this is even remotely controversial. It's funny how infectious negativity is. In years past people would crown every player we drafted and traded for, and now we're often seeing just the opposite. Maroney can help limit Moreno's carries while he gets healthy and is also a nice insurance policy should Knowshon need to be shelved.

baja
09-14-2010, 03:46 PM
No problem...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2927588&highlight=Buckhalter#post2927588

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2880743&highlight=Buckhalter#post2880857

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2919255&highlight=Buckhalter#post2919255

1. A post worried about Buck getting injured nothing about diminished skills

2. A post by me actually complementing Buck.

3. Another worried about injury by same poster as #1

Not one post about Buck being washed up all.

Try again TJ at least according to you there should be hundreds out there saying they are worried buck is washed up so should still be easy for you.

Taco John
09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
1. A post worried about Buck getting injured nothing about diminished skills

2. A post by me actually complementing Buck.

3. Another worried about injury by same poster as #1

Not one post about Buck being washed up all.

Try again TJ at least according to you there should be hundreds out there saying they are worried buck is washed up so should still be easy for you.

Your reading comprehension is falling off old man. No one said anything about Buck being washed up. Just about him being injury prone, all of which the three links I provided allude to. The first mention of him being "washed up" was just made by you.

baja
09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I vaguely remember his carries other than the fumble. I'm pretty sure some had no blocking either. I'd really have to see again. He didn't get many chances to begin with.

He just ran with no energy in his few carries possibly why he did not play much after the 1st quarter.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
He just ran with no energy in his few carries possibly why he did not play much after the 1st quarter.

I really didn't see any of that. I mean the run where he fumbled he was pushing the pile...

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Would the Packers be labeled as brilliant if they'd made the same trade?

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 03:54 PM

The play where Buck fumbled was a hellava play until he coughed up the ball...

Josh McDaniels
09-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Good lord, 13 pages?

fontaine
09-14-2010, 03:55 PM
It totally smacks of either desperation or the fact our front office doesn't value draft selections after the first couple of rounds at all.

Going by the first 2 attempts I'd say it's the latter. Given it's very early still, I wont be too hard on the fact that thus far they've dealt a 1st rd pick for a practice squad TE probably because the TE they drafted in the 2nd rd has been as useful to date as a Mile High Salute in January or the fact they dealt numerous picks for an $100m merchandise pay day from Florida. Let's just hope good old Pat reinvests some of that merchandise money back into the team otherwise we'll still be trading draft picks for players not wanted by other teams come September.

Good luck Maroney.

Yeah I know it sucks but the previous FO pissed away picks on busts (Foster/Middlebrooks), injured busts (Toviessi, Claw), prima donna busts (Lelie), and any other kind of bust you want to throw in there.

Let's hope they learn from their mistakes.

barryr
09-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Would the Packers be labeled as brilliant if they'd made the same trade?

Of course they would. That is the way it works for some around here. Any move by the Broncos and McDaniels is stupid no matter what it is or how small for some people. This makes them feel good I guess.

Champagne Powder
09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
After watching this video, how can you not like Maroney?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1NE8dsKaGlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1NE8dsKaGlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Br0nc0Buster
09-14-2010, 04:04 PM
A 4th for Maroney
A 5th for LeKevin Smith
Trading
A 7th for Hochstein

Im pretty sure the 5th was for both Hoch and LeKevin, and it wasnt just a 4th for Maroney
also that 4th we used for the "injured WR" is what we gained from trading down anyways

how bout we just see what Thomas looks like tho before we write him off

Drek
09-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Buck didn't break down on Sunday, he's healthy, he just played like ****.

No one expected Buck to look like a 70 year old man all of a sudden. The notion was that if he was healthy he'd contribute. Well he's healthy and he sure as hell didn't contribute.

That is why they didn't trade for him sooner. Though I agree that we should have been hunting for more camp bodies. Both after the draft when we failed to select an RB and again after the first few days of camp when both Moreno and Buck got hurt. McDaniels has been very good about bringing in competition across the board for camp but this year he did drop the ball at RB. Largely due to injuries, but we still needed more bodies to compete.

A 4th for Maroney
A 5th for LeKevin Smith
Trading
A 7th for Hochstein

That isn't a very accurate group of statements.

We've traded:
A 4th for Maroney and a 6th.
A 5th for LeKevin Smith and a 7th.
Said 7th back to the Pats for Hochstein.
A 4th to move up a couple of spots in the draft.
And a waiver snipe that took Barrett off a depth chart plagued with injuries.

The waiver was obviously not something the FO wanted to have happen, but we had so damn many guys out at that point we needed more camp bodies. Barrett and McKinley were both going on IR anyhow, so they hoped to get them through at a time when most NFL teams are still busy with their own prospects and not looking to snipe other teams.

I'd say to this point Hochstein's contributions alone have been worth the 5th that got both him and LeKevin Smith.

Maroney is a pretty good pickup for just swapping a 4th for a 6th.

I also still find it interesting that we moved up to grab Thomas and then moved back up with the Ravens, a team supposedly interested in getting Thomas, to get Tebow. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Belichick clued McDaniels in to that, hence our move up and immediate trade with the Ravens to get Tebow, knowing they now didn't have their 1st round target on the board.

DenverBrit
09-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Does this feel like a desperation move from McDanders?

Desperation? No healthy backs? More like......prudent.

Re-signing Tatum Bell away from his mall gig....that was a desperation move.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Notice how none of the media is spinning how Patriots 1st round pick didn't pan out... but if this was Denver... OH MY!

TDmvp
09-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Desperation? No healthy backs? More like......prudent.

Re-signing Tatum Bell away from his mall gig....that was a desperation move.

Get over it already ...

DenverBrit
09-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Get over it already ...

Get over what??

Broncoman13
09-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm not seeing that at all. Buck is a RB that has explosive quickness and IF he can stay healthy he's a great addition the the backfield. It's never been about his talent, it's always been about his ability to stay healthy.

all the peeps saying "we are slow, we have no speed at RB" don't have a friggen CLUE as to what the hell they are talking about. Buckhalter is every bit as explosive as a RB like Jamaal all-world Charles.

OH SHIAT... Someone call 911, Tombstone got some bad stuff... he be talk'n crazy.

yerner
09-14-2010, 04:44 PM

the packers were giving up a 4th rounder for maroney? where did you get that info?

Taco John
09-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Bottom line, this makes us a better team, giving us another layer of depth that didn't work out with either Lendale or Fargas.

Broncoman13
09-14-2010, 04:49 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1NE8dsKaGlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1NE8dsKaGlY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Damn, wish I wouldn't have watched that. I am now convinced that Maroney's issues are between the ears. I don't think he can spell Voltron. In fact, I'm pretty sure he cannot spell "he". I guess at this point he really only has to spell Laurence Maroney, but it's probably chicken scratch to cover for the fact that he can't spell his name either.

He makes Dexter Manley (or was it Charles Mann?) look slightly intelligent.

orangemonkey
09-14-2010, 04:57 PM
holy crap another 4th round pick to NE who again has amassed a trove of picks for 2011. I guess McD missed the NFL HC manual excerpt saying it's ok to trade with teams other than New England. :smashpats

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Damn, wish I wouldn't have watched that. I am now convinced that Maroney's issues are between the ears. I don't think he can spell Voltron. In fact, I'm pretty sure he cannot spell "he". I guess at this point he really only has to spell Laurence Maroney, but it's probably chicken scratch to cover for the fact that he can't spell his name either.

http://www.profilesupport.net/myspace-comments/funny/images/thats_racist.gif

Garcia Bronco
09-14-2010, 04:58 PM
He's here to block. We are going to throw.

bpc
09-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Moreno era already over?

gyldenlove
09-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Damn, he may be walking evidence that repeated blows to the head can cause brain damage.

Hamrob
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
I like Maroney and I'm glad we got him. We traded a 4th for a 6th and Moroney....not a big gamble in my opinion.

What I don't like: That we had the entire offseason to fix our running game and defensive line issues and we failed on both fronts.

Hamrob
09-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Moreno era already over?Moreno is a good back...but, won't ever be great. He gives alot of effort, but doesn't have the speed, power or elusiveness to be an elite back.

What we need is a back with some speed to offset our other backs.

TonyR
09-14-2010, 05:17 PM
What I don't like: That we had the entire offseason to fix our running game and defensive line issues and we failed on both fronts.

They didn't expect both Moreno and Buckhalter to get injured in preseason. And they spent plenty of FA money on the D-line and I don't know that it's as bad as you're letting on. Rhe run stopping issues may be more of a LB issue than DL.

Hamrob
09-14-2010, 05:20 PM
They didn't expect both Moreno and Buckhalter to get injured in preseason. And they spent plenty of FA money on the D-line and I don't know that it's as bad as you're letting on. Rhe run stopping issues may be more of a LB issue than DL.Look man...they waited until they had to get Vickersham (whatever his name is) off the waiver wires. Moreno/Buckhalter have never been the answer...whether healthy or not! Moroney is better than both of them. Why didn't we make a play for Thomas Jones or someone else that was available in the offseason? Instead we're satisfied with Ball, Hall, Fargas etc.

Br0nc0Buster
09-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Look man...they waited until they had to get Vickersham (whatever his name is) off the waiver wires. Moreno/Buckhalter have never been the answer...whether healthy or not! Moroney is better than both of them. Why didn't we make a play for Thomas Jones or someone else that was available in the offseason? Instead we're satisfied with Ball, Hall, Fargas etc.

Thomas Jones is the answer?
a 32 year old RB that had a whopping 3.5 ypc his first game

you do understand that when Jones was signed both Moreno and Buckhalter were healthy right?

what other blue chip running backs were out there in the summer?

baja
09-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Your reading comprehension is falling off old man. No one said anything about Buck being washed up. Just about him being injury prone, all of which the three links I provided allude to. The first mention of him being "washed up" was just made by you.

You're kidding right?

I've been harping all day this trade was made because Buck looks done. If they were afraid he was going to be prone to injury they would have backed him up and maybe that what Fargus and then White were for but I doubt it because the are different types of Backs. No I think McD saw what I saw, Buck was a shadow of his former self. It happens sometimes a player seems to lose his game almost over night. Then theres the chance that we are both wrong about Buck for different reasons and Maroney was brought in to play with Moreno and Buck and is actually replacing White.

BTW I may be old by from where where you are looking from but I can assure you I am very healthy and fit. I'm gonna live a long healthy life God willing. Colon blow it's the fountain of youth ;D

broncosteven
They didn't expect both Moreno and Buckhalter to get injured in preseason. And they spent plenty of FA money on the D-line and I don't know that it's as bad as you're letting on. Rhe run stopping issues may be more of a LB issue than DL.

They addressed it by signing 2 guys on the DL, Jarvis Green and some other DE and they cut them the week before the season started then went picking through the waver wire trash for starters.

They could have brought in more competition after Buck and Shortgain went down but they didn't. They waited until after week 1 is in the books to go looking for RB depth.

broncosteven
i like maroney and i'm glad we got him. We traded a 4th for a 6th and moroney....not a big gamble in my opinion.

What i don't like: That we had the entire offseason to fix our running game and defensive line issues and we failed on both fronts.

rep

TonyR
09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
They addressed it by signing 2 guys on the DL, Jarvis Green and some other DE and they cut them the week before the season started then went picking through the waver wire trash for starters.

Williams? Bannan?

They could have brought in more competition after Buck and Shortgain went down but they didn't. They waited until after week 1 is in the books to go looking for RB depth.

Who should they have brought in?

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I like Maroney and I'm glad we got him. We traded a 4th for a 6th and Moroney....not a big gamble in my opinion.

You are basing this off the first game of the regular season? Really?

baja
09-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Our new back is so young he likes cartoons

Sassy
09-14-2010, 05:40 PM
I like this!

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 05:41 PM

This

missingnumber7
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
This is a great move, and he will fit great in the system. He can be the Kevin Faulk we need for 3rd down. And for a 4th and getting a 6th in return is great.

baja
09-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Notice how none of the media is spinning how Patriots 1st round pick didn't pan out... but if this was Denver... OH MY!

Noticed that - guess if your a HOF coach you let those things slide.

Wonder when some of the so called experts around here will finally see what a great coach we have budding in Dove Valley.

Rascal
Sick and tired of picking up NE trash and overpaying.

NE now has 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 fourths in the upcoming draft.

Hamrob
You are basing this off the first game of the regular season? Really?You're kidding right? Do you really think we're better this year in either area? If so, why do we now go trade for Moroney? Isn't Moreno healthy now? They were so confidnet in our Dline that they went and got a guy off the waiver wire who a main contributor for our defensive line. I'm basing this off the fact that they failed to upgrade in either of these two areas.

I never thought Bannon (backup) or Williams (Old) were going to be an improvement. And, should we have been a team that took a chance on an unproven D-coordinator (Martindale)...that's a huge risk in itself.

baja
09-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Moreno era already over?

I sure hope you are here for mid season I am going to have some fun with you Chris.

Hamrob
09-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Thomas Jones is the answer?
a 32 year old RB that had a whopping 3.5 ypc his first game

you do understand that when Jones was signed both Moreno and Buckhalter were healthy right?

what other blue chip running backs were out there in the summer?Look, during the offseason, we could have work out one of many deals to get a back in here. Thomas Jones would have fit in nicely...giving us 10-12 carries a game and providing great leadership to this team. There are alot of guys on rosters at the #2, #3 spot that would have done nicely here. Tarshard Choice comes to mind. We could have passed on Thomas in the 1st round (considering our WR group had depth) and taken Mathews. There were several ways to address the issue. The problem was...they really thought that Moreno was going to be the answer. Anyone who watched him last year would know, he's good...but not great...and not a #1 back.

gunns
09-14-2010, 05:54 PM

I realize Moreno got hurt at the beginning of training camp but damn, you can ALWAYS expect Buckhalter to be hurt and personally I don't believe he brings or has brought enough to this team to not have gotten insurance for him being out. He should have only been counted on as a third string or worse.

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 05:56 PM
You're kidding right? Do you really think we're better this year in either area? If so, why do we now go trade for Moroney? Isn't Moreno healthy now? They were so confidnet in our Dline that they went and got a guy off the waiver wire who a main contributor for our defensive line. I'm basing this off the fact that they failed to upgrade in either of these two areas.

I never thought Bannon (backup) or Williams (Old) were going to be an improvement.

Bannan is a start first of all, and second yes both pick ups were major improvments to the scrap heap we ran with last year. The only two positives that came out of last years D-line were Ron Feilds (Whos good in rotation), and Ryan McBean (When dosent take consecutive personal foul penalties). Incase you didn't watch the game our biggest concern against the run right now is our Linebackers. If you have a short term solution for the Broncos star OLB being out for the season I would love to hear it. Our biggest mistake this offseason was letting Andre Davis go, and I'm not sure that was really a bad move.

How can you say we didn't try and upgrade the running game when we went out and drafted 2 offensive linemen that fit our RUN BLOCKING SCHEME with out second and third round picks? Were you paying attention this offseason? You can't judge the effectivness of our attempts to upgrade the running game until Walton and Beadles have a chance to develop.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
You're kidding right? Do you really think we're better this year in either area? If so, why do we now go trade for Moroney? Isn't Moreno healthy now? They were so confidnet in our Dline that they went and got a guy off the waiver wire who a main contributor for our defensive line. I'm basing this off the fact that they failed to upgrade in either of these two areas.

I never thought Bannon (backup) or Williams (Old) were going to be an improvement. And, should we have been a team that took a chance on an unproven D-coordinator (Martindale)...that's a huge risk in itself.

I think we are deeper along the Dline and yes, better. As for bringing in another RB it's not a stretch to say that depth is needed here too because of injuries. If any team in the NFL knows about injuries to the RB it's the Broncos. Bringing Maroney in speaks more to the health of the RBs than anything else.

Que
I like this trade. We get a back that has shown flashes of talent and already knows Josh's system and all we basically have to do is swap our 4th for a 6th? Not bad value IMHO.

ColoradoDarin
the packers were giving up a 4th rounder for maroney? where did you get that info?

Q: Who said that?
A: No one

Maybe you didn't notice the season ending injury to the Packers RB Ryan Grant. I was just speculating that we wouldn't wait til someone is cut because other teams could use his services.

Sassy
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
One can never have too many RB's ;D

TonyR
Look, during the offseason, we could have work out one of many deals to get a back in here. Thomas Jones would have fit in nicely...giving us 10-12 carries a game and providing great leadership to this team. There are alot of guys on rosters at the #2, #3 spot that would have done nicely here. Tarshard Choice comes to mind.

If we got Jones people would have complained about us signing an old back. And I'm not aware that Dallas was looking to move Choice. If you want upgraded depth at RB you should be happy because that's what we just got.

Hamrob
NFL.COM on the trade:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a894dc/article/patriots-trade-rb-maroney-to-broncos-for-fourthround-pick?module=HP_headlines

JoRo
09-14-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1060795/drunk-faceplant-o.gif

I just have to say this deserves a second look, cuz I can't stop watching it. It's too great

WABronco
09-14-2010, 06:04 PM

Wow. Really? That's pretty average for an NFL player.

oubronco
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Kinda discouraging to be trading for a rb after the first week

ColoradoDarin
09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I just have to say this deserves a second look, cuz I can't stop watching it. It's too great

Seriously! I love the 2nd girl not being able to brace herself and does a sweet faceplant. It's hypnotic. $2 says they are from New Jersey.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Just FYI this is the ages of the backfield group in New England:

Kevin Faulk 34 years old
Sammy Morris 33 years old
Fred Taylor 34 years old
BenJarvus Green-Ellis 25 years old

Dagmar
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
I like this trade. We get a back that has shown flashes of talent and already knows Josh's system and all we basically have to do is swap our 4th for a 6th? Not bad value IMHO.

:thumbsup:

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 06:23 PM

I luv the way the chick in the cart breaks her fall with her face...

JoRo
09-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Seriously! I love the 2nd girl not being able to brace herself and does a sweet faceplant. It's hypnotic. $2 says they are from New Jersey.

If they are MTV will make them very wealthy next seaso (my attempt at that annoying jersey accent :P )

JoRo
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
On a serious note about Maroney, I think it was a good idea, because that fourth rounder prolly woulda been something like a backup blocking tight end, or a passing full back or something

ChampBailey24
09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
poe-tay-toe,
poe-tah-toe.

moe-ray-no,
mah-row-knee.

DBroncos4life
09-14-2010, 06:49 PM
You know there are other teams to trade with besides the Pats

BlaK-Argentina
09-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Anybody criticizing this trade either needs some perspective or is really stupid, and perhaps both. We needed to upgrade the depth at the RB position because neither Moreno or Buckhalter are healthy and we lost White for the year. Who do you people really think is going to be available at the price the Broncos paid here? I mean seriously, what do you really expect? You think teams are just giving up starting caliber RB's? Maroney isn't a world beater but he's pretty good and if he stays healthy most likely well worth the compensation. Some of you idiots complain about the production at the RB position and then complain when we go out and get a solid pro. Sheesh.

Don't waste your time!!!

Drek
09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Look, during the offseason, we could have work out one of many deals to get a back in here. Thomas Jones would have fit in nicely...giving us 10-12 carries a game and providing great leadership to this team. There are alot of guys on rosters at the #2, #3 spot that would have done nicely here. Tarshard Choice comes to mind. We could have passed on Thomas in the 1st round (considering our WR group had depth) and taken Mathews. There were several ways to address the issue. The problem was...they really thought that Moreno was going to be the answer. Anyone who watched him last year would know, he's good...but not great...and not a #1 back.

Thomas Jones - A guy people used to describe as not fast enough, powerful enough, or elusive enough to be a standout NFL running back. Funny that you use those exact words when describing Moreno, who's rookie campaign eclipsed the first four seasons of Jones' career.

But Moreno will never be great. We should have gotten Thomas Jones instead.

Then you say we could have taken Mathews instead of Thomas, when Mathews went 12th overall. To get him we'd have had to select him at our original spot in the first, 11th. Those moves got us two 3rd and a 4th, key components to getting Tebow and Eric Decker. So what you're really saying is we should have taken Ryan Mathews, a second top 13 RB in back to back drafts, instead of Thomas, Tebow, and Decker. You try selling that to any fan who actually watches the Broncos and see how far you get.

Try bringing something better than this if you want to be taken as something other than the a clueless fan who thinks their Madden trades are the key to a real life Super Bowl win.

Maroney is here because he fits the following:
1. Cheap
2. Knows the system
3. Young enough and has shown enough to still have potential

We swapped a 4th for a 6th and Maroney can step in next week. There was no way to tell that Buckhalter's play fell off a cliff and we didn't lose him and Moreno until pre-season. Now Moreno is back and like last year seems poised to play all 16 games once again. Maroney gives us a legitimate short yardage/power back to pair with him so that Moreno doesn't have to get the **** kicked out of him every Sunday carrying that load himself.

When Andre Brown gets healthy we might actually have a pretty nice looking RB corps. Better yet, by then we might actually have Harris back and Clady up to real game shape. Then we'll get a real look at how the running game is going to do this season.

Kaylore
09-14-2010, 07:05 PM
poe-tay-toe,
poe-tah-toe.

moe-ray-no,
mah-row-knee.

:spit:

DBroncos4life
09-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Its a right move but still if the guy isn't worth that much to the team that we are taking our system straight from then I don't really see any reason to have high hopes for the guy at all.

baja
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Its a right move but still if the guy isn't worth that much to the team that we are taking our system straight from then I don't really see any reason to have high hopes for the guy at all.

It's not like Josh doesn't know what he is getting

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Ball, Lance: 5'9" tall, 220lbs runs a 4.40 forty, age 25
Brown, Andre: 6' tall, 224lbs runs a 4.46 forty, age 23
Buckhalter, C: 6' tall, 223lbs runs a 4.53 forty, age 31
Maroney, L: 5'11" tall, 220lbs runs a 4.47 forty, age 25
Moreno, K: 5'11" tall, 210lbs runs a 4.60 forty, age 23

chex
09-14-2010, 07:25 PM
So why are people complaining now? Look at it this way, we just got New England's Peyton Hillis. McDaniels is a genius!

Inkana7
09-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Maroney, L: 5'11" tall, 220lbs runs a 4.55 forty, age 25
Moreno, K: 5'11' tall, 210lbs runs a 4.60 forty, age 23

Maroney ran a 4.46 at his pro day and a 4.48 at the combine. Not sure where you got that info.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Maroney ran a 4.46 at his pro day and a 4.48 at the combine. Not sure where you got that info.

Got it off the interwebz, not sure how accurate some of the sites are that I went to in order to gather the info. I just wanted to see how all our backs looked as a group and they are all very similar, IMHO.

Drek
09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Maroney, L: 5'11" tall, 220lbs runs a 4.47 forty, age 25
Moreno, K: 5'11" tall, 210lbs runs a 4.60 forty, age 23

Yay 40 times! The single least representative combine number for EVERY position on the field with the exception of WR, CB, and returners.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Yay 40 times! The single least representative combine number for EVERY position on the field with the exception of WR, CB, and returners.

I agree forty times are overrated but putting the forty times in gives a better idea as to how the Broncos RB stable looks, overall, as a group.

DBroncos4life
09-14-2010, 08:00 PM
It's not like Josh doesn't know what he is getting

And I'm sure Bill knows what he won't be missing. Like I said its a OK move nothing to get excited about.

Dedhed
09-14-2010, 08:00 PM
7 of his 9 TDs came on goal line runs

Sounds perfect.

Broncoman13
09-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Not sure it matters for returners all that much either. Look at McCluster. 4.58 I think it was? Jordan Shipley was in the 4.6s. Brandon Tate was in the 4.5s. Don't have to have Deion Sanders speed to be a good return man, not that it hurts. Javier Arenas is one of the best all time (NCAA best anyhow) and he is a 4.5-4.6 guy.

Dedhed
09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
its a OK move nothing to get excited about.

And ABSOLUTELY nothing to get poopy pants about, yet at least half the folks here are figuring out a way to do it.

Maybe they like poop in their pants.

strafen
09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Direct result of how awful Buckhalter looked on Monday. I've been predicting since Day 1 of the McDaniels regime that passing is now first and formost, and that running would be a constant struggle for this team.

If a RB is going to get yards in this system, it will be on their sheer talent alone, not the system.Absolutely. That's why Moreno won't cut it in this system.
Also, New England is the same way, obviously. Passing and then running.
The big guys out front main responsibility is to protect the QB first and foremost.

strafen
09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
It's not like Josh doesn't know what he is gettingNo he doesn't.

baja
09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
No he doesn't.

He was his OC for how long??

strafen
09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I had a feeling the Broncos were going to go for a back in the draft this next year, so getting Maroney for a fourth and receiving a sixth isn't a terrible deal. I think he'll be a good second back for us.

Draft for 2011:

Picks we have are 1, 2, 2, 3, 6, 7.Subject to change, of course...

Dedhed
09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
No he doesn't.

He doesn't not know?

I think you're right.

extralife
09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
The problem here is we all know he sucks in the NE system...which is the same as our system. He's a body, I guess. Not crazy about giving up the 4th, but we were gonna find a way to burn picks anyway. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Knowshon, either.

strafen
09-14-2010, 08:19 PM
I guess I am coming to terms with this
One major problem I see is that Maroney and Buck have two issues in common: injuries and fumbling
Hopefully he can turn that around hereI predict in two weeks, Buckhalter will be gone.
Maroney is essentially going to be Moreno's back up...

Drek
09-14-2010, 08:25 PM
And I'm sure Bill knows what he won't be missing. Like I said its a OK move nothing to get excited about.

Its a move this team needed.

Asking Moreno to do all the heavy lifting while also being our only every down and distance type of back is taking away from his productivity.

Maroney is not a special back, he's just a solid short yardage churner. He's got good size and when healthy he's good for about 4 a pop with the rare big one.

He's basically LenDale White with a little more explosiveness and no suspensions hanging over his head. He knows the system and he's used to playing in a split duty role.

Should Maroney stay healthy we can stop requiring Moreno to do all the short yardage grinding before and after we ask him to be our every down back. We can actually give him rest on something other than a handful of third down plays where Buckhalter is a good fit.

Now if only they drop Ball, keep Brown, get him healthy and add him to the mix. We might have the makings of a real honest to goodness RB corps worth talking about.

Drek
09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
The problem here is we all know he sucks in the NE system...which is the same as our system. He's a body, I guess. Not crazy about giving up the 4th, but we were gonna find a way to burn picks anyway. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Knowshon, either.

How does a guy who consistently puts up 750-850 yards on less than 200 carries, a better than 4 YPC clip, when healthy suck in a system?

Belichick doesn't like him because he can't catch and everyone else in their backfield can. That team has gone even more pass heavy with McDaniels' departure. Maroney fits a role we need on this team, a role that is entirely complimentary to Moreno as our feature back.

cutthemdown
09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree forty times are overrated but putting the forty times in gives a better idea as to how the Broncos RB stable looks, overall, as a group.

Tell that to the defenders on the Raiders and Chargers as they watched a real speed back run away from them. Speed is over-rated in as far as having it means little if you aren't a good runner. But to be special it takes a certain amount of speed to go the distance.

Punisher
09-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh ok now where gonna win 4 games. good move

orangemonkey
09-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Its a move this team needed.

Asking Moreno to do all the heavy lifting while also being our only every down and distance type of back is taking away from his productivity.

Maroney is not a special back, he's just a solid short yardage churner. He's got good size and when healthy he's good for about 4 a pop with the rare big one.

He's basically LenDale White with a little more explosiveness and no suspensions hanging over his head. He knows the system and he's used to playing in a split duty role.

Should Maroney stay healthy we can stop requiring Moreno to do all the short yardage grinding before and after we ask him to be our every down back. We can actually give him rest on something other than a handful of third down plays where Buckhalter is a good fit.

Now if only they drop Ball, keep Brown, get him healthy and add him to the mix. We might have the makings of a real honest to goodness RB corps worth talking about.

Because he was buried on the depth chart behind two aging backs in NE and probably will be buried here too. Also seems to be injury prone. 4th seems pretty steep for this guy. Crossing fingers that it works out though.

Flex Gunmetal
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Oh ok now where gonna win 4 games. good move

I thought you left, clown.

broncosteven
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Tell that to the defenders on the Raiders and Chargers as they watched a real speed back run away from them. Speed is over-rated in as far as having it means little if you aren't a good runner. But to be special it takes a certain amount of speed to go the distance.

That long TD Charles had last night was blocked perfectly. Shortgain would have taken that for a good 20-30 yards but Charles was able to take it the distance and used his speed to turn the safety around and mis-time his tackle.

Sassy
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I predict in two weeks, Buckhalter will be gone.
Maroney is essentially going to be Moreno's back up...

Absurd.

baja
09-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Josh was his OC. I think he has a pretty good idea if he is a player in his system or not

Punisher
09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I thought you left, clown.

Lets just hope Maroney catches 100 balls for like 3 years then we could trade him for two 2nd round picks.

go_broncos
09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Josh was his OC. I think he has a pretty good idea if he is a player in his system or not

If josh has an idea, we will not lose 9 games out of 11.
He is a confused coach.

Punisher
09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by baja http://orangemane.com/BB/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2934595#post2934595)

Josh thinks everyone is a player in his system. Too bad Bowlen was dumb enough to let him play puppet master with our team.

Dagmar
09-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Josh thinks everyone is a player in his system. Too bad Bowlen was dumb enough to let him play puppet master with our team.

??? I thought you were done with the Broncos until the coach is dead?

baja
09-14-2010, 08:51 PM

I really don't know to respond to this level of underestimation.

Popps

Yep.

It's a nice pick-up. I was hoping it was a 5th rounder, but let's face it... all draft picks are a crap-shoot and a 4th rounder is definitely a major crap shoot.

If Maroney provides depth and can share some carries, it's a nice use of a draft pick. He's young enough to still have upside.

I like it. Buck can't stay healthy, and we need an alternate back to Moreno, at times. He can also play special teams. It's a nice grab.

Punisher
??? I thought you were done with the Broncos until the coach is dead?

I thought you had me on ignore sexy butt, i see you can't get enough of me. Maybe i'll tease you some more :-*

strafen
09-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Absurd.We'll see, won't we? :welcome:

baja
09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Yep.

It's a nice pick-up. I was hoping it was a 5th rounder, but let's face it... all draft picks are a crap-shoot and a 4th rounder is definitely a major crap shoot.

If Maroney provides depth and can share some carries, it's a nice use of a draft pick. He's young enough to still have upside.

I like it. Buck can't stay healthy, and we need an alternate back to Moreno, at times. He can also play special teams. It's a nice grab.

You know we got maroney and a 6th right. so we essentially got him for a fifth and I bet we would of got him for a 5th straight up if we had had one to trade with.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 09:08 PM

I won't deny measurable speed is real nice to have but I think a running back like TD is the perfect example of a RB who got by on "average" speed, thank you very much...

~Crash~
09-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Yea, Buck really hurt us Sunday.

This is an interesting trade. Moroney has been an underachiever, but he is young... and clearly knows the offense.

Not a bad thing to have some young depth, and I'm guessing we didn't give up much.

Now how about acquiring a ****ing linemen?

so a player has one bad game cut him ? **** tough crowd

Popps
09-14-2010, 09:11 PM
so a player has one bad game cut him ? **** tough crowd

It's not having one bad game, and I said I really like the guy... when he's healthy... which is basically never.

We had a chance to get a back-up who knows the system at a discount price. Buck just can't stay on the field and then to come back and cost us like he did Sunday was rough.

I hope he can work it out and be a productive player for us, but I still like bringing Maroney in at a discount like we did.

extralife
09-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Man, Buck ran for 5.5 ypc last year behind the same offensive line that was so bad Moreno got a free pass for looking like Shaun Alexander circa 2008. He isn't going anywhere.

~Crash~
09-14-2010, 09:21 PM
It's not having one bad game, and I said I really like the guy... when he's healthy... which is basically never.

We had a chance to get a back-up who knows the system at a discount price. Buck just can't stay on the field and then to come back and cost us like he did Sunday was rough.

I hope he can work it out and be a productive player for us, but I still like bringing Maroney in at a discount like we did.

Agree , hope the coach does .

SoCalBronco
09-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I am a bit puzzled by this trade, actually. I have no objection in theory to adding some more talent to our stable at that position because we don't have any quality depth and Moreno, while talented, is not totally reliable (yet). But Maroney was always pimped as a zone style running back. In part, that's why Shanny had him No. 1 on his draft board among RB's in 2006. On the other hand, he has experience in this offense and presumably Josh thinks he did well enough to fit in it. We'll see....I always hate giving up picks, but since we were probably going to trade it away anyway (since we don't like to hold to them), it is what it is. Hopefully he can help us out.

Popps
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Man, Buck ran for 5.5 ypc last year behind the same offensive line that was so bad Moreno got a free pass for looking like Shaun Alexander circa 2008. He isn't going anywhere.

We'll see... but we didn't make this trade because Moreno had a bad day. Moreno ran the ball fine.

Buck missed a lot of last year, all of the preseason and then came in... looked rusty and fumbled in a key spot.

We went right out and made a trade for a guy.

You tell me why we suddenly needed to grab a RB. The math seems pretty clear, to me.

Popps
09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
I am a bit puzzled by this trade, actually. I have no objection in theory to adding some more talent to our stable at that position because we don't have any quality depth and Moreno, while talented, is not totally reliable (yet). But Maroney was always pimped as a zone style running back. In part, that's why Shanny had him No. 1 on his draft board among RB's in 2006. On the other hand, he has experience in this offense and presumably Josh thinks he did well enough to fit in it. We'll see....I always hate giving up picks, but since we were probably going to trade it away anyway (since we don't like to hold to them), it is what it is. Hopefully he can help us out.

We drafted 9 players in each of the past two drafts. Given, we moved around a lot... but that's a pretty good number of draft picks.

Moroney hits the hole pretty fast. I do like that about him, and I think he's got good endzone instincts.

Again, he'll be a back-up and probably serve a special teams purpose. When talking about a 4th rounder, that's generally what you're looking at, if you're lucky.

I'm sort of excited to see if he can reinvent himself as a Bronco. Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM
I think Maroney is a nice insurance policy and little more...

Durango
09-14-2010, 09:30 PM

The New England message boards are howling with laughter, claiming the Patriots were about to release the guy. Discount? Not hardly. A 4th round draft choice is a pretty damned high price to pay for a back-up, injured, soon-to-be-cut RB. It's a ridiculous price to pay.

Popps
09-14-2010, 09:34 PM
The New England message boards are howling with laughter, claiming the Patriots were about to release the guy. Discount? Not hardly.

Yea, I mean... if there's one source of information you can depend upon to be rock solid, it's fan message boards.

You spend a lot of time on Patriots boards, by the way?

A 4th round draft choice is a pretty damned high price to pay for a back-up, injured, soon-to-be-cut RB. It's a ridiculous price to pay.

A. You have no proof he would have been cut. None.
B. He's been healthy most of his career.
C. 4th round picks are a crap-shoot. You're lucky to get decent back-ups at those ranges, in general.

Thanks for the input, though. Anyway, don't you need to get over to the Colts message board or something?

gyldenlove
09-14-2010, 09:36 PM
I won't deny measurable speed is real nice to have but I think a running back like TD is the perfect example of a RB who got by on "average" speed, thank you very much...

Timed speed for RBs is one of the most useless stats. What you need is track speed, look at Reggie Bush or Darren Mcfadden both put up blistering times on the track but fail to produce consistently on the field because when you put pads on them and stick them on grass they slow down. TD ran the same speed wether he was wearing running shoes on a track or cleats and pads on a field, just as Chris Johnson does.

It is not use having a guy who can run 4.40 in shoes, but only 4.90 in cleats, you need a guy who can run 4.65 in cleats and then his time in shoes is really not important at all.

baja
09-14-2010, 09:38 PM
The New England message boards are howling with laughter, claiming the Patriots were about to release the guy. Discount? Not hardly. A 4th round draft choice is a pretty damned high price to pay for a back-up, injured, soon-to-be-cut RB. It's a ridiculous price to pay.

link

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
A lot of the Pats fans I read wished Maroney well and were sorry he didn't pan out in NE. Some called him a guy that didn't perform like his draft position, but they never felt he was a complete turd.

gyldenlove
09-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Maroney is definitely a rotation kind of guy, he only has 6 games in his career with 20 or more carries (3 of them against the Jets). The worry is that he hasn't improved at all in his 4 years in the league and ended up falling behind an old free agent, a low round drafted sophomore, Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris (a proverbial clowncar of mediocre backs).

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Maroney is definitely a rotation kind of guy, he only has 6 games in his career with 20 or more carries (3 of them against the Jets). The worry is that he hasn't improved at all in his 4 years in the league and ended up falling behind an old free agent, a low round drafted sophomore, Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris (a proverbial clowncar of mediocre backs).

It's like Bellycheck is acknowledging to the world he's gonna win games on Brady's arm...

Durango
09-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Yea, I mean... if there's one source of information you can depend upon to be rock solid, it's fan message boards.

C. 4th round picks are a crap-shoot. You're lucky to get decent back-ups at those ranges, in general.

Thanks for the input, though. Anyway, don't you need to get over to the Colts message board or something?

Yeah, those 4th rounders are terrible gambles. Elvis Dumervile was a crapshoot. That turned out pretty well, and gosh, he was drafted by a coach who couldn't draft, or so you say. Brandon Marshall was a terrible gamble...turned out alright if I recall. The fourth round was way, way, way, way too much to pay for this guy.

In two years he has given away more high-round draft picks than many teams even have available over the course of several seasons, and for what? Richard Quinn, Alphonso Smith and Tim Tebow. How many are starting? Most team fan bases would be thrilled when their franchise has multiple high picks. Here, it's an open store for his God-figure to come in and take what he pleases.

orangemonkey
09-14-2010, 09:49 PM

B is not accurate. He's never started more than 6 games in a season and missed most of the 2008 season due to injury. I've read that while no major surgery, he tended to have nagging injuries affect his performance. He's injured now and still must pass the Broncos physical. On top of that he has a case of fumblitis.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, those 4th rounders are terrible gambles. Elvis Dumervile was a crapshoot. That turned out pretty well, and gosh, he was drafted by a coach who couldn't draft, or so you say. Brandon Marshall was a terrible gamble...turned out alright if I recall. The fourth round was way, way, way, way too much to pay for this guy.

In two years he has given away more high-round draft picks than many teams even have available over the course of several seasons, and for what? Richard Quinn, Alphonso Smith and Tim Tebow. How many are starting? Most team fan bases would be thrilled when their franchise has multiple high picks. Here, it's an open store for his God-figure to come in and take what he pleases.

You're really just b****ing to b****. McD has parlayed a lot of draft picks and maneuvered around the draft board pretty well. It's not like he's getting nothing in return when he trades. You putting the Tebow pick in there just proves you like to complain more than anything else.

Taco John
09-14-2010, 09:53 PM

This is well stated. I have no objection in theory to adding Maroney to our stable - in fact I like the idea. But the move this late in the process doesn't inspire confidence and raises a lot of questions for me.

Looking again at our week one rushing stats, I think it's remarkable that of our twelve 3rd down attempts, Moreno only saw one touch. That's difficult to explain away, because even if you consider that many of our third downs were on long yardage, that still implicates the rushing game.

Securing Maroney is probably the right thing to do at this point, regardless of what it cost us.

Durango
09-14-2010, 09:59 PM
You're really just b****ing to b****. McD has parlayed a lot of draft picks and maneuvered around the draft board pretty well. It's not like he's getting nothing in return when he trades. You putting the Tebow pick in there just proves you like to complain more than anything else.

No, I'm angry. I think this guy is giving away the farm and I want it to stop. I don't like the direction of the team, I don't like him, personally, as hard as I have tried to put that aside, and, from whatever it is I think I know about pro football, I think he's seriously lacking in leadership and game preparedness, not to mention play-calling skills.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 10:03 PM
No, I'm angry. I think this guy is giving away the farm and I want it to stop. I don't like the direction of the team, I don't like him, personally, as hard as I have tried to put that aside, and, from whatever it is I think I know about pro football, I think he's seriously lacking in leadership and game preparedness, not to mention play-calling skills.

The reality of the situation is you became a Broncos fan circa 1998. I don't care what you claim as far as your allegience to the team is. You're a fan born of the SB winning era and nothing more.

SoCalBronco
09-14-2010, 10:07 PM
This is well stated. I have no objection in theory to adding Maroney to our stable - in fact I like the idea. But the move this late in the process doesn't inspire confidence and raises a lot of questions for me.

Looking again at our week one rushing stats, I think it's remarkable that of our twelve 3rd down attempts, Moreno only saw one touch. That's difficult to explain away, because even if you consider that many of our third downs were on long yardage, that still implicates the rushing game.

Securing Maroney is probably the right thing to do at this point, regardless of what it cost us.

Fair enough, Taco.....although I don't totally agree that this is an indictment purely on Moreno. There's some part of that there for sure....he does miss out on yards when he tries to over-dance and over-juke even when there is a wide open hole there to run straight through, although I suspect this was mainly in response to the state of the backup RB's. We'll see if he can help us out. Not holding my breath.

Steve Sewell
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
About 75% of the posters in this thread are currently engrossed in this book:

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/3/crafts4retarded.jpg

Durango
09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
The reality of the situation is you became a Broncos fan circa 1998. I don't care what you claim as far as your allegience to the team is. You're a fan born of the SB winning era and nothing more.

You sad little tool. My family has had season tickets since the third year of the existence of this franchise and I fly up to Denver three or four times a year to attend games. I became a member of the Bronco QB Club back in 1975 when I was 6 years old. I sacrificed buying new equiopment and a truck for my business at the time so I could pay for my share of season tickets. Don't you dare question my loyalty to this franchise. Freaking loser.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 10:10 PM
You sad little tool. My family has had season tickets since the third year of the existence of this franchise and I fly up to Denver three or four times a year to attend games. I became a member of the Bronco QB Club back in 1975 when I was 6 years old. I sacrificed buying new equiopment and a truck for my business at the time so I could pay for my share of season tickets. Don't you dare question my loyalty to this franchise. Freaking loser.

blah, blah, blah... cry me a river.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 10:10 PM

Do you have any basis of saying he lacks game preparedness? Because I think Broncos nation has proof of the complete opposite.

Play calling skills huh... you should go talk to Patriots fans who were desperately missing him last year.

You really have no basis for anything you're saying. All this is stemmed off an 8-8 record and right now an 0-1 record. No actual content.

Steve Sewell
09-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Do you have any basis of saying he lacks game preparedness? Because I think Broncos nation has proof of the complete opposite.

Play calling skills huh... you should go talk to Patriots fans who were desperately missing him last year.

You really have no basis for anything you're saying. All this is stemmed off an 8-8 record and right now an 0-1 record. No actual content.

He actually admitted that he doesn't like him personally.

Durango
09-14-2010, 10:17 PM

Only what I see. The Broncos were outcoached in their final two games of the '09 season. Outcoached and outplayed, by Crable and Haley for Gods sake, and the assorted motley crews of Oakland and Kansas City. Absolutely pathetic, and it's where I got off the McDaniels train. Even then, I was hoping the best for him, because I want the Broncos to succeed.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 10:21 PM
He actually admitted that he doesn't like him personally.

I'd like to know how these people who hate him "personally" got to know him personally. Every person whose actually met McDaniels outside of Jay Cutler and a few players last year, come away with much respect.

smfh, see, whats the point of sticking around when Broncos lose and hiding when Broncos win? I mean REALLY?

Broncos supporters or whatever you wanna call us, we're here year round no matter what happens.

Ya'll are just bandwagons/fair-weather fans... but pop up in gloomy times rather than bright.

Where did you guys inherit this attribute?

I know where.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view3/1074282/scratch-and-sniff-chick-o.gif

Taco John
09-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Fair enough, Taco.....although I don't totally agree that this is an indictment purely on Moreno. There's some part of that there for sure....he does miss out on yards when he tries to over-dance and over-juke even when there is a wide open hole there to run straight through, although I suspect this was mainly in response to the state of the backup RB's. We'll see if he can help us out. Not holding my breath.

I agree that the stat isn't an indictment purely on Moreno. But it's not exactly a strike in his favor either. I do think that the 3rd down stat I mentioned is an unmistakable strike against our rushing game as a whole. This is something that I really hope gets corrected quickly because our schedule up to our bye is pretty unforgiving.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Only what I see. The Broncos were outcoached in their final two games of the '09 season. Outcoached and outplayed, by Crable and Haley for Gods sake, and the assorted motley crews of Oakland and Kansas City. Absolutely pathetic, and it's where I got off the McDaniels train. Even then, I was hoping the best for him, because I want the Broncos to succeed.

We played Philly and Chiefs. Clearly our team was gased... apparent when you're watching those games.

I don't think you realize how hard it is to beat division rivals twice in a season. Saints couldn't beat the Bucs. Colts barely beat the Jags after last second touchdowns. I forgot who said it, but supposedly the hardest thing to do is beat the same team twice in a season in the NFL.

Like I said you have no clue what the **** you're talking about.

baja
09-14-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't have words for that Gif, did she put that in her mouth.

That makes booger eating seem like fine dining.

Durango
09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
We played Philly and Chiefs. Clearly our team was gased... apparent when you're watching those games.

I don't think you realize how hard it is to beat division rivals twice in a season. Saints couldn't beat the Bucs. Colts barely beat the Jags after last second touchdowns. I forgot who said it, but supposedly the hardest thing to do is beat the same team twice in a season in the NFL.

Like I said you have no clue what the **** you're talking about.

And you do? They were HOME GAMES. Denver had an inside track at the play-offs. It was the final stretch of the season. Everybody is gassed. Everybody is bruised and beaten up. We lost to a JaMarcus Russel-led Radiers for Gods sake, and I don't know what I'm talking about? You're an insane, blind homer, buddy, without any perspective whatsoever. None.

Steve Sewell
09-14-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd like to know how these people who hate him "personally" got to know him personally.

I think it has something to do with jealousy about his age, resistance to change, and Shanahan co-dependency. And of course, we have our bona fide retards and flat-out trolls as well.

The common thread with these posters is that they are extremely short-sighted and lack any kind of intelligent perspective. They harbor grudges, base their opinions on players after one game, and in some cases, one play. You look at the threads after the Jacksonville loss, and its pretty embarrassing to share fandom of a football team with them.

strafen
09-14-2010, 10:34 PM

Oh the fan police in motion...
This is what people get when they dare to question McDaniels moves. He's trading draft picks like kids trade baseball cards.

The reality is, he took over a team with a decent offense that lacked defense.
Right now, he has dismantled the offense and the defense -deservely so- and so far we're worse than we were a year or two ago, and the overhaul hasn't stopped.
Got rid of QB's, TE's and WR's and spends our draft picks to replace them, and then some.
And you question our loyalty to OUR team because YOU don't find anything wrong with that?
Get real!
Our OL is in shambles, our running game is nowhere near what it should be, we have a bunch of nobody WR;s and TE's.
Our DL is made up of scrub players, we have a rookie defensive coordinator who dropped the ball last week when his players weren't prepared to take the field and know what the defense formation was (10 men on the field)
We have a HC berating players for their mistakes.
He should know who the best and most prepared players are to be on the field on Sunday!
I bet players will be afraid to make mistakes. I won't be surprised if we see a bunch of guys playing somewhat reserved, instead of playing inspired football like it's supossed to be played; not playing with lack of fire.

Call me whatever you want, but if the first game was an indication of things to come, this could well be one of the worst seasons in our team history...

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
And you do? They were HOME GAMES. Denver had an inside track at the play-offs. It was the final stretch of the season. Everybody is gassed. Everybody is bruised and beaten up. We lost to a JaMarcus Russel-led Radiers for Gods sake, and I don't know what I'm talking about? You're an insane, blind homer, buddy, without any perspective whatsoever. None.

Your personal hatred of McD has really fouled you up and that's too bad. I'd like to give him more than 1 year to prove he can get the Broncos back to the playoffs, but that's just me (blind homer). Whatever, be mad, that's what your best at anyway.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 10:37 PM

Saints ended their season on a 3 game losing streak, 2 at home to the Cowboys AND the Bucs.

And for **** sake, Russell didn't play the whole game or even most of it.

Stamina was clearly a problem for us last season, and contributed hugely to how we ended the season. If not, then the staff wouldn't have put so much emphasis on it during the off season.

Blind homer? lol tell me, what can't I see? clearly, you can't even get **** right that's in front of you.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh the fan police imotion...
This what people get when they dare to question McDaniels moves. He's trading draft picks like kids trade baseball cards.

The reality is, he took over a team with a decent offense that lacked defense.
Right now, he has dismantled the offense and the defense -deservely so- and the overhaul hasn't stopped.
Got rid of QB's, TE's and WR's and spends our draft picks to replace them, and then some.
And you question our loyalty to OUR team because YOU don't find anything wrong with that?
Get real!
Our OL is in shambles, our running game is nowhere near what it should be, we have a bunch of nobody WR;s and TE's.
Our DL is made up of scrub players, we have a rookie defensice coordinator who dropped the ball last week when his players weren't prepared to take the field and know what the defense formation was (10 men on the field)
We have a HC berating players for their mistakes.
He should know who the best and most prepared players are to be on the field on Sunday!
I bet players will be afraid to make mistakes. I won't be surprised if we see a bunch of guys playing somewhat reserved, instead of playing inspired football like it's supossed to be played, not playing without fire.

Call me whatever you want, but if the first game was an indication of things to come, this could well be one of the worst seasons in our team history...

how ya doing dragster? It's a drag your back...

strafen
09-14-2010, 10:43 PM
how ya doing dragster? It's a drag your back...

That's the best you can come up with?
Very original! :thumbsup:

Que
09-14-2010, 10:44 PM

Me thinks the lad (sic) doth protest too much...

Seriously dude, it is a football fan forum. What are you? The fan equivalent of Ray Rhodes? Heh. I crack myself up.

tonngo0
09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok let's see McD raided from the Patriots.
Last Year traded LeKevin Smith for 5th cut a year later
now get an injured Maroney and a 6th for a 4th.
Signed Jabar Grafney <--- good signed.
Lonie Paxton <--- overpaid
Jarvis Green <--- way overpaid.

well hit 1 out of 4 ... hope it is worth it trading a 4th for a 6th and for a rented player.

Why can't McD signs Willie Parker ... at least he can come in and play.

Durango
09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Your personal hatred of McD has really fouled you up and that's too bad. I'd like to give him more than 1 year to prove he can get the Broncos back to the playoffs, but that's just me (blind homer). Whatever, be mad, that's what your best at anyway.

I don't hate McDaniels little man. I don't even know the guy. Your typical tendency to separate things into extremes is what makes your arguments so child-like. I don't like what he's doing with and to this franchise and I think you will witness the depths of that despair this season. If so, and I honestly hope I am flat-assed wrong, I would hope Bowlen would eject this clown without another moments hesitation.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 10:48 PM
That's the best you can come up with?
Very original! :thumbsup:

why argue in circles with you? There's no point.

It's pretty clear there are two main types of posters on this board, those who support McD and the direction he's trying to move this team into and those who do not. I'm in the former group, you are in the latter. Now, I can go and counterpoint your post but it doesn't do any good.

I've always maintained that criticizing the team is fine. I do it a lot myself. I don't like everything McD has done but I'm willing to give him some time to get the franchise where he wants it to be.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't hate McDaniels little man. I don't even know the guy. Your typical tendency to separate things into extremes is what makes your arguments so child-like. I don't like what he's doing with and to this franchise and I think you will witness the depths of that despair this season. If so, and I honestly hope I am flat-assed wrong, I would hope Bowlen would eject this clown without another moments hesitation.

Apparently you can't even recall your own posts. Get bent, loser.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-14-2010, 10:54 PM

well hit 1 out of 4 ... hope it is worth it trading a 4th for a 6th and for a rented player.

You. Are. Adorable.

The MVPlaya
09-14-2010, 10:55 PM

http://e-basil.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_NotSureIfSerious.jpg

strafen
09-14-2010, 10:56 PM

The thing that kills me is that with all those squandered picks and money he's accomplished in two years, I'd bet if he had taken the time to THINK, that he could've gotten some blockbuster deals done for a legitimate starter or two in either offense or defense, but the guy doesn't want stars on this team. Nobody can be bigger than him, er...I mean the team! :thumbsup:

Think about it. Trading picks for 2nd and 3rd stringer players and most of them with injury history to boot.
He should go after some Pittsburgh starters on defense, some OL from the Saints, mix it up, the Pats are not the only team he can get players from...

Durango
09-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Apparently you can't even recall your own posts. Get bent, loser.

You know, you would be funny if you weren't such a prick. I say again, I don't hate anyone. I don't even know him. I just don't like him nor the direction he's taking this franchise. Oh, and same to you..with sprinkles.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-14-2010, 10:59 PM
The thing that kills me is that with all those squandered picks and money he's accomplished in two years, I'd bet if he had taken the time, that he could've gotten some blockbuster deal done for a legitimate starter or two in either offense or defense, but the guy doesn't want stars on this team. Nobody can be bigger than him, er...I mean the team! :thumbsup:

Think about it. Trading picks for 2nd and 3rd stringer players and most of them with injury history to boot.
He should go after some Pittsburgh starters on defense, some OL from the Saints, mix it up, the Pats are not the only team he can get players from...

You're a special kind of retard. The kind they can't even send to the retard wing of the public school. No, you're the kind of retard that they don't even bother trying to educate because you're just so ****ing stupid that nobody, I mean nobody, could break through your retardation to reach whatever is left of the brain you have underneath.

Heard of the short bus? They kicked you off for being too stupid.

That's the kind of retard that you are.

In case you haven't noticed -- and you haven't, as you're retarded, as I discussed above -- there have been several players signed who were not from the Pats. But... aw, I'm wasting my time.

Silly me. Talking to a ****ing retard.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 11:02 PM
You know, you would be funny if you weren't such a prick. I say again, I don't hate anyone. I don't even know him. I just don't like him nor the direction he's taking this franchise. Oh, and same to you..with sprinkles.

Ok Nancy, I guess you didn't post this:

HAT
09-14-2010, 11:03 PM

Your posts....I likes it.

Durango
09-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Ok Nancy, I guess you didn't post this:

..and so, don't like him personally is hatred in your book? Boy, you must've been a real scream at the high school dance.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 11:12 PM
..and so, don't like him personally is hatred in your book? Boy, you must've been a real scream at the high school dance.

You are the one who made it personal, I'm simply saying your personal "dislike" of McD has soured your opinion of the team to such a degree you get more pleasure out of anger than out of seeing the team do well, which is too bad.

Pony Boy
09-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Anyway you look at it, Maroney is an upgrade to the roster. Moreno and Buckhalter combined for just 75 yards on 21 carries against a weak Jaguars defense. Also who better than McDaniels would know what Maroney brings to the table?

strafen
09-14-2010, 11:17 PM
You're a special kind of retard. The kind they can't even send to the retard wing of the public school. No, you're the kind of retard that they don't even bother trying to educate because you're just so ****ing stupid that nobody, I mean nobody, could break through your retardation to reach whatever is left of the brain you have underneath.

Heard of the short bus? They kicked you off for being too stupid.

That's the kind of retard that you are.

In case you haven't noticed -- and you haven't, as you're retarded, as I discussed above -- there have been several players signed who were not from the Pats. But... aw, I'm wasting my time.

Silly me. Talking to a ****ing retard.Truth hurts, doesn't it?
It left you without an intelligent remark to say. Now, that's stupid and retarded, isn't it?
You couldn't put together some intelligent sentences to refute my posts. Know why?
It's true what I'm talking about. you can go down to the level of a third grader, that doesn't prove anything in my eyes. It just proves to me you're a little man, aren't you?

Clown prince is very fitting. That name fits you to a tee. :D

Durango
09-14-2010, 11:22 PM
You are the one who made it personal, I'm simply saying your personal "dislike" of McD has soured your opinion of the team to such a degree you get more pleasure out of anger than out of seeing the team do well, which is too bad.

No, that's not what you're saying. You were saying my 'hatred' of McDaniels blinds my perspective and that isn't true. It's not even an honest quote, and if you don't understand the difference then you have some serious inter-personal challenges.

I care about this franchise almost to the exclusion of some more important things in my life, and I don't like what this guy is doing. I don't hate him. I wish him no harm. I want him gone if he can't point this franchise in the right direction by the end of this season, and by that, I mean win a single game more than he won last year; that's 9, for the semantically impaired like yourself.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 11:25 PM
No, that's not what you're saying. You were saying my 'hatred' of McDaniels blinds my perspective and that isn't true. It's not even an honest quote, and if you don't understand the difference then you have some serious inter-personal challenges.

I care about this franchise almost to the exclusion of some more important things in my life, and I don't like what this guy is doing. I don't hate him. I wish him no harm. I want him gone if he can't point this franchise in the right direction by the end of this season, and by that, I mean win a single game more than he won last year; that's 9, for the semantically impaired like yourself.

Your hate has blinded you my son. Next thing you know, you'll be wearing a Darth Vadar mask and parading around Oakland...

Whatever, we'll just agree to disagree.

Archer81
09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
The thing that kills me is that with all those squandered picks and money he's accomplished in two years, I'd bet if he had taken the time to THINK, that he could've gotten some blockbuster deals done for a legitimate starter or two in either offense or defense, but the guy doesn't want stars on this team. Nobody can be bigger than him, er...I mean the team! :thumbsup:

I find it amazing you were willing to give Shanahan a decade of wasting picks and money on shady free agents because of what he did 11 years ago, but wont give 24 months to McDaniels. You are acting like the Broncos were loaded with talent at every position and denver made a coaching change to get over the hump, and instead of being Shanny 2.0, blew the team up and GASP wanted a team more suited to HIS philosophy. Then you have the nerve to bitch when these changes dont equal immediate results. What is your deal? Do you even like the Denver Broncos?

Nothing in your post is accurate, in fact its gloating at a team you allegedly are a fan of. You seem to revel in their failure.

:Broncos:

footstepsfrom#27
09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
I think RB is one place you can take shots on guys who havne't lived upto expectations elsewhere, and you should always bet on talent. This team suddenly has a whole backfield of guys who were name talents in the last several drafts when you consider White and now Maroney plus Moreno...those are three guys young who were all considered to be worthy of a high draft pick. I would like to see what could happen next year assuming this injury ridden offensive line gets healthy and also gains a few games of experience working together. If any one of these guys could step forward at a minimum, or two idealy...our running game could be better prepared than we envision it at this point.

55CrushEm
09-15-2010, 04:07 AM

Nope. You're right....you don't hate him.

::)

Mogulseeker
09-15-2010, 04:44 AM
Your posts....I likes it.

I uses to likes it. I no more likes it.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-15-2010, 05:30 AM
This thread is serving as bait for the anti-McDaniels crowd. You can spot when the discussion stopped being about Maroney and turned to these assclowns with their agendas. It's reading a lot like a Sarah Palin debate at this point.

cmhargrove
09-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Just FYI this is the ages of the backfield group in New England:

Kevin Faulk 34 years old
Sammy Morris 33 years old
Fred Taylor 34 years old
BenJarvus Green-Ellis 25 years old

Maybe they're compiling picks to move up for Ingram next year?

The MVPlaya
09-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Maybe they're compiling picks to move up for Ingram next year?

Cool story, bro.

However, that's the stable they have NOW on a season where they're goal is to make the playoffs and compete for the Super Bowl.

That is the point.

Keep up.

Steve Sewell
09-15-2010, 07:31 AM
You couldn't put together some intelligent sentences to refute my posts. Know why?

Because he'd be wasting his time with you?

TonyR
09-15-2010, 07:43 AM
...falling behind an old free agent, a low round drafted sophomore, Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris...

Which is odd considering Maroney had more than double the rushing yards and touchdowns than any of them had last season. There's clearly more to the story.

bowtown
09-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Which is odd considering Maroney had more than double the rushing yards and touchdowns than any of them had last season. There's clearly more to the story.

The more to the story is that he was in the last year of his contract, Bellichick is a genius at getting compensation for guys that he doesn't plan to resign before they become FAs. It was a calcualted move. He feels the RBs on his roster give him almost if not as good a chance at winning than if he had Maroney. So with no plans to resign Maroney next year, and the ability to get a 4th, what's not to love?

outdoor_miner
09-15-2010, 07:53 AM

First of all - you forgot about Hochstein. It was really Hochstein and Smith for that 5th. I think we traded a 7th for Hochstein, and then traded a 5th for the 7th and Smith.

Second - if you look at the acquisitions, McD is 2/2 on offense (Hochstein and Gaffney), and 0/2 on defense (Smith and Green). I don't love the move for Maroney, but here's hoping it goes up to 3/3. If nothing else, he does provide some depth at the position for when Buckhalter inevitably gets hurt.

TonyR
09-15-2010, 08:00 AM
The more to the story is...

Good take. Somewhat analogous to the Richard Seymour situation.

Mediator12
09-15-2010, 08:39 AM
The more to the story is that he was in the last year of his contract, Bellichick is a genius at getting compensation for guys that he doesn't plan to resign before they become FAs. It was a calcualted move. He feels the RBs on his roster give him almost if not as good a chance at winning than if he had Maroney. So with no plans to resign Maroney next year, and the ability to get a 4th, what's not to love?

Well, really they traded a 4th for a sixth. And, They did get rid of some dead weight to them in the process. However, sometimes trading keeps the player from going on the waivers process. Obviously, DEN was willing to give up something to keep a team from claiming him.

That, in a nutshell, is how the business works. Will it work out, I have no idea. However, at least they did do something to get him instead of playing the waiver wire and losing a player they thought could improve the team.

Steve Sewell
09-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Well, really they traded a 4th for a sixth. And, They did get rid of some dead weight to them in the process. However, sometimes trading keeps the player from going on the waivers process. Obviously, DEN was willing to give up something to keep a team from claiming him.

That, in a nutshell, is how the business works. Will it work out, I have no idea. However, at least they did do something to get him instead of playing the waiver wire and losing a player they thought could improve the team.

Please stop injecting logic and rational thought on this board Mediator.

Beantown Bronco
09-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Well, really they traded a 4th for a sixth. And, They did get rid of some dead weight to them in the process.

Not to be too nitpicky, but that's the first time I've ever heard of a team's leading rusher making basically the veteran minimum salary as dead weight.....obviously he was no longer wanted in NE, and Bill has his reasons, but it's not like he has been completely unproductive and trading him won't save them a dime.

Mediator12
09-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Please stop injecting logic and rational thought on this board Mediator.

I try when I have a chance. I am the anti-emotional voice of reason around here ;D

Popps
09-15-2010, 08:50 AM

So, we moved down two rounds in the later rounds for this trade?

And people are still bitching about it?

Seriously?

PRBronco
09-15-2010, 08:53 AM
So, we moved down two rounds in the later rounds for this trade?

And people are still b****ing about it?

Seriously?

Fascinating, isn't it? I'd like to get an anthropologist's opinion on the Mane. What causes such a bunch of whining p***ies who clearly hate the Broncos to congregate in a place of Bronco love?

*edit* Autocensor doesn't pick up the P word? I feel like that might get me in trouble :-/

Mediator12
09-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Not to be too nitpicky, but that's the first time I've ever heard of a team's leading rusher making basically the veteran minimum salary as dead weight.....obviously he was no longer wanted in NE, and Bill has his reasons, but it's not like he has been completely unproductive and trading him won't save them a dime.

Dead weight to them. Belichick does this all the time, it is how he works a roster. I really think he would have been claimed very quickly by a team on waivers ahead of DEN. Or, NE would have just kept him all year and let him go in the offseason. You just never know.

In fact, for all we know it was DEN who made the call to acquire Maroney weeks ago. They laid the groundwork when they were severely RB hurt in the preseason and pulled the trigger when they saw what they had against JAX. Evaluations in the NFL are the hardest part of the business. Some guys are gamers and some just practice players and suck in games. You NEVER know for sure until the lights are on and everyone is watching on gameday.

gyldenlove
09-15-2010, 08:56 AM

My gut feeling is that it is a style thing.

Fred Taylor is more of a straight ahead type of guy, he gets to speed right away instead of looking for the gap before accelerating.

Kevin Faulk is their 3rd down pass blocker and catcher.

I am not sure of the exact attraction in Sammy Morris.

Maroney definitely seems to dance too much instead of just get up to speed and then run for it and hope something opens, that kind of style is extremely dangerous unless you run a blocking scheme where blocks take a while to develope, which is not the Patriots way.

This does seem to be an example of Belichick not needing Maroney and wanting to get something in return before he leaves as a free agent.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Dead weight to them. Belichick does this all the time, it is how he works a roster. I really think he would have been claimed very quickly by a team on waivers ahead of DEN. Or, NE would have just kept him all year and let him go in the offseason. You just never know.

In fact, for all we know it was DEN who made the call to acquire Maroney weeks ago. They laid the groundwork when they were severely RB hurt in the preseason and pulled the trigger when they saw what they had against JAX. Evaluations in the NFL are the hardest part of the business. Some guys are gamers and some just practice players and suck in games. You NEVER know for sure until the lights are on and everyone is watching on gameday.

Unless McD is coaching, and then it's all fail all the time.

/sarcasm

Popps
09-15-2010, 08:57 AM

I liked the risk/reward ratio for us when it was a 4th rounder straight up, now that we know it was just moving down a couple of late rounds... this is a no-brainer.

Beantown Bronco
09-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Dead weight to them.

I know that's what you meant. That's precisely what I was responding to.

Bronco Yoda
09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I wonder how much of the language (if at all) McD changed in his playbook. Will Maroney be able to just jump right in?

orangemonkey
09-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Now let's compare our current 2011 Draft arsenal against New Englands:

Denver: 6 picks
1st (Original Selection)
2nd (Original Selection)
2nd (Via Miami, Brandon Marshall trade)
3rd (Original Selection)
6th (Via NE, LoMo trade, lost 4th)
7th (Original Selection)

New England: 10 picks
1st Round
1st Round (OAK Richard Seymour)
2nd Round (CAR 2010 3rd Round)
2nd Round
3rd Round
4th Round
4th Round (DEN Laurence Maroney)
5th Round
6th Round (NO David Thomas)
7th Round

All I can say is wow!

PRBronco
09-15-2010, 11:03 AM

1st (Original Selection)
2nd (Original Selection)
3rd (Original Selection)
7th (Original Selection)

1st Round
2nd Round
3rd Round
4th Round
5th Round
7th Round

All I can say is wow!

Omfg Carolina traded a 2011 2nd for a 2010 3rd?? I bet their fans are setting fire to themselves in the streets. And will mention it any time their GM or Coach is brought up in conversation for the next ****ing decade.

*edit* Oh also, LoMo? 10/10, I love it. (that part isn't sarcasm)

Popps
09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I wonder how much of the language (if at all) McD changed in his playbook. Will Maroney be able to just jump right in?

If he's healthy, I'll bet he carries the ball on Sunday.

WABronco
09-15-2010, 12:38 PM

1st (Original Selection)
2nd (Original Selection)
3rd (Original Selection)
7th (Original Selection)

1st Round
2nd Round
3rd Round
4th Round
5th Round
7th Round

All I can say is wow!

I am envious. Not gonna lie...

jhns
09-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Unless McD is coaching, and then it's all fail all the time.

Exactly.

Who would have thought that we actually agree about something?

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Who would you rather be coaching? Please enlighten us. And be realistic.

bendog
09-15-2010, 12:57 PM

If McDaniels hadn't called asking about this guy when the injuries started in camp, I'd be surprised. And not to diss the move or maroney at all, but the guys NE has are really about as good, at least in what they've showed so far.

Now, Fred Taylor [stats] becomes the unquestioned Patriots starter, with Sammy Morris and BenJarvus Green-Ellis providing support. Kevin Faulk [stats] remains the third-down back

Any of them would make Dens team. Faulk's not an every down guy.

My only criticism is they gave up draft depth for a team that isn't going anywhere this year.

bowtown
09-15-2010, 01:03 PM
If McDaniels hadn't called asking about this guy when the injuries started in camp, I'd be surprised. And not to diss the move or maroney at all, but the guys NE has are really about as good, at least in what they've showed so far.

Now, Fred Taylor [stats] becomes the unquestioned Patriots starter, with Sammy Morris and BenJarvus Green-Ellis providing support. Kevin Faulk [stats] remains the third-down back

Any of them would make Dens team. Faulk's not an every down guy.

My only criticism is they gave up draft depth for a team that isn't going anywhere this year.

That's what I'm worried about too, but I'm guessing that McD and company haven't quite written off the season like many of the posters on this board. I'd be pretty disapointed if they were sitting around after week 1 saying, "you know what, we should hang on to that 4th becasue we are going to have a REALLY high draft pick next year."

bendog
09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
That's what I'm worried about too, but I'm guessing that McD and company haven't quite written off the season like many of the posters on this board. I'd be pretty disapointed if they were sitting around after week 1 saying, "you know what, we should hang on to that 4th becasue we are going to have a REALLY high draft pick next year."

Oh Lord, they can't do that, and Den isn't THAT bad. Oakland, yeah they are just hoping they don't give up Ingram. I'm sure McDaniels is trying to squezze all he can. Hey, I'll prolly go see two games in a bar. I'd have to get stone drunk and get a cab if I was a faide fan to watch that horror show. And I think that was why Xander gave that wierd interview about we have a plan. LOL. I hope so.

I'm not predicting their record, but going to see KC at Den got more interesting and worth $75 (I might have to take the kiddy and buy food) with Maroney.