PDA

View Full Version : So, is KC that good....

JCMElway
09-13-2010, 10:21 PM
So is KC that good, or is San Diego just a big ball of suck this year?

Either way it looks like the West is wide open.

Discuss.

Denver724
09-13-2010, 10:25 PM
KC is that good. Speed on both sides of the ball. I am very impressed with their team speed and D-Line.

BlaK-Argentina
09-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh please it's just ONE game. My bet is the Chiefs go back to sucking (though a bit less maybe) and SD bounces back like they always do.

WABronco
09-13-2010, 10:26 PM
I watched a few minutes here and there. From the looks of it, it looks like they got some big plays from Charles and a PR.

Week 1. Lots of emotion. Should probably avoid making judgments this soon...

BlaK-Argentina
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
KC is that good. Speed on both sides of the ball. I am very impressed with their team speed and D-Line.

KC's offense is putrid. Charles goes off once in a while but that's it.

And Bowe's hands are awful.

Steve Sewell
09-13-2010, 10:28 PM
KC's offense is one of the worst that I've EVER seen on an NFL field. Their D looks pretty good and their ST were spectacular.

That being said, I have a feeling that the weather helped them significantly tonight when facing SD's offense. In fact once the weather subsided SD started to move the ball pretty well.

Sorry mullets.

crazyhorse
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
KC is better than last year.

What they become is completely subjective.

Im optimistic with the defense and ST.

A little worried about the O. Passing in particular. Not sure why they are running Jones. They get back to Charles and the run game will be very good.

DivineBronco
09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
no it was the KC superbowl......the crowd was awesome........the weather was wierd....and the KC defense was flying........and their offense is one of the worst I saw this week

crazyhorse
09-13-2010, 10:33 PM
no it was the KC superbowl......the crowd was awesome........the weather was wierd....and the KC defense was flying........and their offense is one of the worst I saw this week

I dunno. There was a lot of bad offense this week. Even NO sucked

crazyhorse
09-13-2010, 10:34 PM

If that was our SB, we won it.

SoCalBronco
09-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Hey wait a minute....I thought the Denver game was KC's Superbowl?

How many SB's do you guys have, crazyhorse? :)

R8R H8R

Them and the Jets offense.

The Joker
You never want to read too much into a game with bad weather conditions. The combination of wind and rain just destroyed the Charger offense, I know it was bad out there but Rivers looked terrible once the heavy stuff started coming down. They won't have to play in that many weeks though, I'm guessing they'll still be fine and win at least 10 games.

Plenty of good signs for the Chiefs though, their defense looks like it might be alright and Charles and McCluster look like a couple of playmakers. I still expect their offense will struggle to move the ball consistently, but they do seem to be getting better in general.

KevinJames
09-13-2010, 10:36 PM
KC is improved their run game is good
SD misses V Jackson

Steve Sewell
09-13-2010, 10:36 PM
I dunno. There was a lot of bad offense this week. Even NO sucked

Dude, Cassel is going to lose a lot of games for the Chiefs this year. He's is really awful.

You guys have a nice D but that and ST and bad weather aren't going to bail you out every week,

crazyhorse
09-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Dude, Cassel is going to lose a lot of games for the Chiefs this year. He's is really awful.

You guys have a nice D but that and ST and bad weather aren't going to bail you out every week,

No arguement here. Not sure where you seen me post anything different. Take it easy Sewell. lol

Crushaholic
09-13-2010, 10:41 PM
A win is a win is a win. They found a way to get it done, despite a putrid offense. As far as developing a winning pattern this year, I still wouldn't count on it.

Steve Sewell
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
No arguement here. Not sure where you seen me post anything different. Take it easy Sewell. lol

Just sayin...lol

Anyway if you guys could just get a serviceable veteran QB, you'd be fine.

crazyhorse
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM

Not sure.. Every time we out play the Broncos, bronco fans dub it as our SB. We almost always win them though. So Im cool with it.

strafen
09-13-2010, 10:43 PM
The thing I took from this game is how both teams played inspired football.
The tempo was high, the intensity level was off the chart, and that's how you win games and give yourself a chance to be in it until the last seconds of the game.
I just don't see that yet in the Broncos...

jutang
09-13-2010, 10:44 PM
San Diego is a notoriously slow starting team. Wouldn't read too much into this game.

crazyhorse
09-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Just sayin...lol

Anyway if you guys could just get a serviceable veteran QB, you'd be fine.

He lost confidence in the O line last year. He's running scared. If he gets any confidence back, he may be decent. If he continues to be scared back there, he will continue to suck. Ive seen him play well with confidence. But he lacks that now. With good reason. He had his ass handed to him last year.

He'll never be better than decent though IMO. He needs wins like tonight.

crazyhorse
09-13-2010, 10:46 PM
San Diego is a notoriously slow starting team. Wouldn't read too much into this game.

Very true.

R8R H8R
09-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Yea, I wouldn't read too much into this game. Rivers completely blew it on his last 2 plays. The WR's looked fairly open, but he threw 2 bad passes; one was a shot-put type of pass that about went over the goal posts.

Kaylore
09-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Most of you hit on the main points. What I saw.

Sand Diego losing opening week is money in the bag. Worst September team I've ever seen.
The Chiefs don't get a ton of MNF games and against a division rival on opening weekend you can bet they brought their A-game. Same for the crowd who braved a lot of Rain which both contributed heavily to River's frustrations. We've seen ourselves that on less special days you can take the crowd out of it. The conditions favored the home team in this one.
The Chiefs offense put up 14 points. The Chargers D is not that great. Cassel is horribly inaccurate and his receivers suck. They have a Tongan tight end as their best receiver right now.
Boltz made a lot of mistakes especially by their young players (sound familar?). They probably win if Jackson is there at receiver.

I'll also add that I think KC's defense is going to be good this year provided Jackson isn't lost for the season.

azbroncfan
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Discuss.

1 week into the season says nothing. I would think as Bronco fans we would know as much as anyone with early season success meaning nothing. We also know that SD starts real slow on average. It's week 1 it doesn't matter what happened.

boltaneer
09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Foolish me. I thought for once Norv would get this team on track at the start of the season.

This game reminded me of the Broncos-Chargers game last year where Royal tore up the Chargers special teams. The Chargers typically have one of the better coverage units in the league but they were a joke tonight. I don't know about using the weather as an excuse because Charger players were falling down left and right all night long but it sure didn't seem to affect the Chiefs that much.

Somewhere in Jacksonville, Kassim Osgood is smiling inside tonight because one, he made the game winning TD yesterday and two, the Chargers special teams look like garbage without him.

Props to the Chiefs on winning. I'll eat crow from the smack I talked earlier but this game was about the Chargers sucking rather than the Chiefs looking good. Outside of the long run by Charles, their offense was completely pathetic. I know the Chargers defense isn't that strong.

I thought Rivers was a gamer all night, as usual and Dombrowski held his own so I don't think the McNeill factor was there. But the Vincent Jackson factor was HUGE. This offense suddenly has no vertical ability without him. They double and triple team Gates all night long and the other receivers struggle to get open.

Still, this game should have went into overtime. Norv, WTF was up with the goal line playcalling at the end of the game? Where was Mathews or Tolbert, who was running people over late in the game? Instead you go five wide and run a draw to Sproles? Pathetic.

I suppose I'll wait the required 4-5 games for this team to pull their heads out of their asses before I go Chicken Little on them.

Kaylore
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what Norv was doing running Sproles up the middle so much. Especially after Tolbert ran through the Chiefs defense seven times.

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Foolish me. I thought for once Norv would get this team on track at the start of the season.

This game reminded me of the Broncos-Chargers game last year where Royal tore up the Chargers special teams. The Chargers typically have one of the better coverage units in the league but they were a joke tonight. I don't know about using the weather as an excuse because Charger players were falling down left and right all night long but it sure didn't seem to affect the Chiefs that much.

Props to the Chiefs on winning. I'll eat crow from the smack I talked earlier but this game was about the Chargers sucking rather than the Chiefs looking good. Outside of the long run by Charles, their offense was completely pathetic. I know the Chargers defense isn't that strong.

I thought Rivers was a gamer all night, as usual and Dombrowski held his own so I don't think the McNeill factor was there. But the Vincent Jackson factor was HUGE. This offense suddenly has no vertical ability without him. They double and triple team Gates all night long and the other receivers struggle to get open.

Still, this game should have went into overtime. Norv, WTF was up with the goal line playcalling at the end of the game? Where was Mathews or Tolbert, who was running people over late in the game? Instead you go five wide and run a draw to Sproles? Pathetic.

I suppose I'll wait the required 4-5 games for this team to pull their heads out of their asses before I go Chicken Little on them.

Not really. We beat you guys in every statistical category.

KCStud
09-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Looks like Bronco fans were wrong. Dorsey is most certainly not a bust. He was an absolute beast tonight. Jackson was much improved as well.

And how bout the Chiefs rookies? Moeaki, Arenas and my boy McCluster looking very good. Berry was picked on all night, but he still made plays minus the one miscommunication.

Bottomline. KC's defense is much better. Thank you Romeo.

Kaylore
09-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Looks like Bronco fans were wrong. Dorsey is most certainly not a bust.
You say this like only Bronco fans were saying Dorsey is a bust. Everyone in league including new sources out of KC were talking about what a crappy camp Tyson Jackson had. And when your GM shops Dorsey, it's not because he likes him so much he wants him gone.

This was one high energy game. Let's see how these guys play all year. I still think Dorsey and Flowers in systems that don't fit their skill-set. Dorsey will not be as good as he could be in a 4-3, and Flowers would be awesome in a Tampa 2 defense.

crazyhorse
09-13-2010, 11:18 PM
You say this like only Bronco fans were saying Dorsey is a bust. Everyone in league including new sources out of KC were talking about what a crappy camp Tyson Jackson had. And when your GM shops Dorsey, it's not because he likes him so much he wants him gone.

This was one high energy game. Let's see how these guys play all year. I still think Dorsey and Flowers in systems that don't fit their skill-set. Dorsey will not be as good as he could be in a 4-3, and Flowers would be awesome in a Tampa 2 defense.

I disagree with you on Dorsey. The guy struggled a little in the 4-3 year one. Which is to be expected on the D line. But came back in year 2 to be an average to good player in the 3-4 which he never played. When he improved year 2 I thought he migh be something special waiting to happen. I think he was shopped because he was a 4-3 player and we were looking for a bigger 3-4 nose tackle type.

I think he is settling in rather well at his new position in his 3 rd season. I dont expect to see KC shopping him in the near future.

The head scratcher for me was why Charles wasn't the feature back tonight. There is no question he's the better back.

As for Flowers, I think the guy plays very well. The better the front 7 get's, the better he gets. As you know, thats how it works. The front 7 and back 8 are starting to come together. They certainly havent arrived. But they were pretty bad last season to look as good as they have so far this season. Its early yet though.

KevinJames
09-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I hear you about SD being a slow starting team but they might wanna speed that up because if they start losing these early ones coming up against teams they should beat the later part of the schedule is BRUTAL.

boltaneer
09-13-2010, 11:26 PM
My knee jerk reaction to week one: I think it's time for AJ to swallow his pride and sign Vincent Jackson.

baja
09-13-2010, 11:35 PM
My knee jerk reaction to week one: I think it's time for AJ to swallow his pride and sign Vincent Jackson.

He can't now, every player that want's a new contract will have the blueprint how to do it.

He has backed himself into a corner.

ZONA
09-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Back to the original question, so is KC that good.

I guess good enough to win 1 game so far. If you wanna call it "that good" then go ahead. It's 1 fricken game. They were at home. Good win sure, but I'll hold off on the "that good" stuff for awhile. After all, we were 6-0 last year and how'd that turn out.

watermock
09-14-2010, 12:18 AM

Discuss.

Fact is, Denver couldn't beat any of the 4 AFC teams playing monday.

Denver is a very weak team.

The lockout is coming soon. It's the pefect time to jettison the crap.

ZONA
09-14-2010, 12:22 AM

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rha/lowres/rhan848l.jpg

watermock
09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Back to the original question, so is KC that good.

I guess good enough to win 1 game so far. If you wanna call it "that good" then go ahead. It's 1 fricken game. They were at home. Good win sure, but I'll hold off on the "that good" stuff for awhile. After all, we were 6-0 last year and how'd that turn out.

With 2 miracle wins.

Hulamau
09-14-2010, 12:39 AM

The truth is Mock, outside of 5 plays that were early season screw ups, Denver could have beaten all three other AFC teams this weekend. Luckily a season isnt made of the first game however.

The true character and strength of each team will come out in the wash over the season. Check back at end of December for the answer.

broncocalijohn
09-14-2010, 12:57 AM

a few so they can catch up !Booya!
San Diego will bounce back and KC will strive for 7 to 8 wins as their realistic goal. We will battle them for 2nd IMO. The melt down at the Chargers' board probably is pretty epic. They are worse than our whiners here.

Bronco Yoda
09-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Looks like KC found some more X factors. Special Teams can be a game changer thats for sure. It did us in yesterday. But Special Teams can't win you every game.

ScottXray
09-14-2010, 05:03 AM
The thing I took from this game is how both teams played inspired football.
The tempo was high, the intensity level was off the chart, and that's how you win games and give yourself a chance to be in it until the last seconds of the game.
I just don't see that yet in the Broncos...

IF that was INSPIRED ball on the chargers side then the west IS wide open.

I agree the KC D played out of their minds....

TotallyScrewed
09-14-2010, 05:29 AM
The truth is Mock, outside of 5 plays that were early season screw ups, Denver could have beaten all three other AFC teams this weekend. Luckily a season isnt made of the first game however.

The true character and strength of each team will come out in the wash over the season. Check back at end of December for the answer.

I'm not so sure when I look at how well Denver's defense plays against speed backs or edge runs. You could be right. But right now, I think Denver's defense is slow...across the board with the exception of a few players. We'll see.

Broncos_OTM
09-14-2010, 05:59 AM
I disagree with you on Dorsey. The guy struggled a little in the 4-3 year one. Which is to be expected on the D line. But came back in year 2 to be an average to good player in the 3-4 which he never played. When he improved year 2 I thought he migh be something special waiting to happen. I think he was shopped because he was a 4-3 player and we were looking for a bigger 3-4 nose tackle type.

I think he is settling in rather well at his new position in his 3 rd season. I dont expect to see KC shopping him in the near future.

The head scratcher for me was why Charles wasn't the feature back tonight. There is no question he's the better back.

As for Flowers, I think the guy plays very well. The better the front 7 get's, the better he gets. As you know, thats how it works. The front 7 and back 8 are starting to come together. They certainly havent arrived. But they were pretty bad last season to look as good as they have so far this season. Its early yet though.

It doesnt change the fact that Dorsey was widely considered a bust. For a guy selected as high as him you want him to dominate right out of the gate. DL or not. i didnt see the game last night so i wont comment either way.

A thought as to why Charles wasn't the primary back. i would maybe say that they were looking to wear down the D with Jones and pop in charles to hit the home runs.

bowtown
09-14-2010, 06:11 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/27444937_5c82cc736e.jpg

Mediator12
09-14-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm not so sure when I look at how well Denver's defense plays against speed backs or edge runs. You could be right. But right now, I think Denver's defense is slow...across the board with the exception of a few players. We'll see.

Speed is not just physical, in the NFL it's more mental. There is an old scouting maxim that goes like this "I would rather have a 4.7 Mike that plays like he is a 4.5, than a 4.5 Mike that plays like he is a 4.7!" Zach Thomas was one of those players. He was passed over by a lot of teams, because he did not have "NFL speed." Well, he played faster in the box than anyone else outside Ray Lewis and Al Wilson for many years because he was so mentally fast.

The same thing could be said of KC's defense last night. Derrick Johnson is another enigma of a Texas Player that has taken almost 6 years to look like he can be an NFL LB. He was really mentally fast for the first time I have seen him in years. The players on KC knew what was coming, and prepared for it very well. However, what they did better than they did last year was trust their reads, get physical, and play fast to their assignments.

All the players in DEN looked a little off on SUN's game. No one looked like they were going to trust thier teammates and just do their job. This is where teams that gel early (games 1-4) look good. It was why DEn usually got off to great starts with Shanahan and even last year with McD. The problem with gelling early is can you build it toward the playoffs and eventually a SB run. It is a lot easier to gel early than sustain it and grow all year round.

That is why the teams with continuity are fast starters and can even build more as the season goes on. They just build on a solid foundation. Right now, DEN still needs to trust and play on defense. They are missing Dumervil and the LB's have to play with more abandon and trust their reads better. If they do, they will be every bit as fast as they were to start last season!

LRtagger
09-14-2010, 06:13 AM
The Ryan Matthews hype was unwarranted.

cmhargrove
09-14-2010, 06:13 AM
1. I think the KC defense is much improved and their d-line is looking pretty solid.
2. McCluster scares me. I was a little pissed when I saw him go to KC in the draft.
3. KC didn't just have a 12th man (crowd) last night. They also played with a 13th man (sloppy field). The Chargers offense lost out on lots of plays because their Rb's and WR's slipped down on the grass. It won't be the same when they play in San Diego (unless is it pouring rain).

Props to KC - great win for their season opener and new stadium. I willl also root for the Chiefs over the Chargers anyday.

bowtown
09-14-2010, 06:16 AM
The Ryan Matthews hype was unwarranted.

Meh... San Diego left their Oline at the airport.

Mediator12
09-14-2010, 06:17 AM
It doesnt change the fact that Dorsey was widely considered a bust. For a guy selected as high as him you want him to dominate right out of the gate. DL or not. i didnt see the game last night so i wont comment either way.

A thought as to why Charles wasn't the primary back. i would maybe say that they were looking to wear down the D with Jones and pop in charles to hit the home runs.

Bust is a real easy way to evaluate a player with over high expectations and no analysis. This is a real case with Dorsey ;D

Dorsey was drafted to be an Undertackle in a 4-3 Defense, but did not survive a coaching change and must play a position not geared to his talents. Most fans do not realize there are only a handful of players in the NFL who can play a position and be good at every aspect of it. I mean maybe 15 players or so who would be good in any system and every aspect of it. Those are what make them HOF type players.

More often than not, TRUE busts are players drafted to do X, but then have to try and do Y with coaching changes and scheme changes. That is why the most succesful NFL teams have continuity in the FO and Coaching departments.

BroncoInferno
09-14-2010, 06:19 AM
KCs defense and STs will allow them to contended for a playoff spot, but you aren't going far with a passing game that can only muster 68 yards.

Phantom
09-14-2010, 07:39 AM
68 YARDS PASSING - NO THEY'RE NOT!!!

SD was one turnover (not to mention a few yards) away from winning a sloppy game.

Grumps
09-14-2010, 07:44 AM
68 YARDS PASSING - NO THEY'RE NOT!!!

SD was one turnover (not to mention a few yards) away from winning a sloppy game.

One turnover and a Norv Turner away from winning a sloppy game. :wiggle:

Spider
09-14-2010, 07:44 AM
slow start , fast start , rain , no rain .... Has no bearing on gang tackling ..... not saying the chiefs win super bowl , just saying , they will be a team that will give alot of other team fits ......good team speed on the D , sure tackling , will keep them in every game

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM

Discuss.

KC's offense sucks ballz. Sandy Eggo should have won the game and came exceedingly close to winning the game even though they turned the ball over.

Power Ranking AFCW:

SD
Denver
KC
Cracktown

Archer81
09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
No, KC is not that good. SD is not that bad.

KC had 197 yards of offense...9 first downs, converted 1 out of 11 tries on 3rd down. If this is what good looks like then heaven help the entire AFC West.

:Broncos:

gtown
09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
I really wanted one of the two returners the Chiefs got. When they picked McCluster I was really pissed. He is just the kind of player that the Broncos need. Other than that, the Chiefs offense is raggedy, except for their RBs. Hard to tell if the Chiefs D is any good. The weather slowed down SDs explosive players a bit.

I think the Chargers are a regressing team. I think that window is shutting on them. Their OL looked bad in pass protection, they miss Vincent Jackson, and Matthews is a rookie. But they still have plenty of weapons. Their D has been suspect for years. I think the Broncos D has more elite difference makers on it than SD's.

boltaneer
09-14-2010, 10:54 AM
The Chargers just stink playing in the rain. Pretty much always have and I guess always will, no matter who is on the team or coaching them.

Just one of those things...

PRBronco
09-14-2010, 10:59 AM
The Chargers just stink playing in the rain. Pretty much always have and I guess always will, no matter who is on the team or coaching them.

Rain is to chargers as Florida heat is to Broncos?

Br0nc0Buster
09-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Rain is to chargers as Florida heat is to Broncos?

I think its more like any September games is to Chargers as Florida is to Broncos
They made the Raiders look like champs in the season opener last year

Im sure the rain had something to do with it, but the Chargers always start slow

Quoydogs
09-14-2010, 11:20 AM
KC's offense is one of the worst that I've EVER seen on an NFL field. Their D looks pretty good and their ST were spectacular.

That being said, I have a feeling that the weather helped them significantly tonight when facing SD's offense. In fact once the weather subsided SD started to move the ball pretty well.

Sorry mullets.

This

Other then the fact that SD sucks this year. It was fun watching Rivers have his little melt downs. I was pissed that he did not get called for delay of game when kick the football.

bronco militia
09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Rivers made his NFL debut against the broncos in the rain....he was terrible

Quoydogs
09-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Do the Queefs play the Jets this year ? Cause It would be pretty cool to watch a game that ended in a tie 0-0

KCStud
09-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Maybe the Chargers should take off the lightning bolt from their helmets and put a sun with a smiley face on it...

~Crash~
09-14-2010, 11:49 AM
How many times Rivers pout last night?:pimp:

Beantown Bronco
09-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Maybe the Chargers should take off the lightning bolt from their helmets and put a sun with a smiley face on it...

You're forgetting a rainbow...

redrage
09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I've been thinking KC had a solid chance to finish 7-9 or 8-8 since the start of the preseason with their acquisitions and schedule and I really saw nothing last night that keeps me from that prediciton.

The defense played a little over their head considering the rain and the hyped crowd, but there is no doubt they are faster and their D-line has grown up a bit.

Cassell isn't the greatest talent, but I can't believe how tentative he looks. He just looks like a QB with zero confidence. However, up 14 in the rain is not the time to call pass plays to give your confidence-shaky QB some reps.

Soon, though, Weis and Haley are going to have to lie in the bed that they've made and lean on Cassel to produce some offense for this team to move forward as a unit.

I will say some good things about Matt. He didn't turn the ball over on a wet night and had some pretty good play action ball handling. He'll get a lot of chances to replicate that as the season rolls on I'm guessing.