PDA

View Full Version : Rank the AFC West

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2010, 11:01 PM
We're about to complete week one of the regular season, and I thought it would make sense since we've now seen every team in action, to rank the AFC West in terms of the PRESENT strength of each team, and I suppose also for each week. In other words where does each team rank in the pecking order now, not down the road 4 games or something.

Steve Sewell
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
1. Broncos
2. Broncos
3. McDaniels
4. Broncos
5. Elway post-knee replacement
6. Xanders
7. Broncos

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Raiders and Chiefs still suck. However Chiefs have shown improvement on defense and some good ST players.

Broncos offense look improved from last season. Run defense is much better.

Chargers oline looked shaky. Couldn't really gauge their defense as Chiefs offense straight up sucked.

It's the 1st week and every team will improve as the season goes on.

I think Raiders are the deepest **** followed by the Chiefs offense against a defense that's not exactly stout.

MileHighMagic
09-13-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't think you're giving the KC run game enough credit. That part of their game will give us fits.

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2010, 11:29 PM
I'd say KCs Defense is at least 5 times better. They'll do well this year.

SoCalBronco
09-13-2010, 11:31 PM
1. Broncos
2. Broncos
3. McDaniels
4. Broncos
5. Elway post-knee replacement
6. Xanders
7. Broncos

Dude...don't embarass the Broncos, Coach McDaniels and John Elway's new knee by putting Xanders in there.

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 11:33 PM
chiefs run game was pretty much held in check minus that big TD.

I think their defense is improved but Chargers was looking like the Broncos, moving the ball and not scoring. They had 389 yards for **** sake. And offense's will improve as the season moves on.

Chiefs had that surprise element and that's what ultimately won the game.

KevinJames
09-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Right now

1. Chiefs
2. Broncos
3. Chargers
4. Raiders

End of season

1. Broncos
2. Chiefs
3. Chargers
4. Raiders

watch SD is the most overrated team in the division by far you don't lose all those veterans and suddenly get better just because you drafted a rookie RB they have 2 relevant offensive players Rivers and Gates. Rivers gets flustered easy we saw that last year @SD pressure his ass, and double Gates game over.

Steve Sewell
09-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Dude...don't embarass the Broncos, Coach McDaniels and John Elway's new knee by putting Xanders in there.

Just keeping you on your toes.

ZONA
09-14-2010, 01:27 AM
1) It's 1 fricken game
2) Week 1 just ended only hours ago
3) Only 15 more to go, that's 15/16ths of the season left
4) But it's only............ah, what's the point?

watermock
09-14-2010, 03:23 AM
1) It's 1 fricken game
2) Week 1 just ended only hours ago
3) Only 15 more to go, that's 15/16ths of the season left
4) But it's only............ah, what's the point?

1 game.

Jesus, do you think the Jags are even close?

They suck and we suck.

watermock
09-14-2010, 03:30 AM
1. chargers.
2. KC.
3 . Crap.

OBF1
09-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Looks like mock got ahold of another bad shipment of the extra crunchy. Slowly turn and walk away from your keyboard

watermock
09-14-2010, 05:05 AM
Looks like mock got ahold of another bad shipment of the extra crunchy. Slowly turn and walk away from your keyboard

Harder to walk away from ignorance.

reaction may progress to anaphylactic shock: A systemic reaction involving several different bodily systems including hypotension (low blood pressure),loss of consciousness, and possibly death. Allergens most frequently associated with this type of reaction are peanuts, nuts, milk, egg, and seafood, though many food allergens have been reported as triggers for anaphylaxis.

[edit] Signs and symptoms

watermock
09-14-2010, 05:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_allergy

idiot.

GMFs are coming your way...

watermock
09-14-2010, 05:54 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1EfUo6wggbA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1EfUo6wggbA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TheChamp24
09-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Its hard to really say right now. I think KC was lucky to win that game.
Chargers targeted Floyd like 12 times in the game. Why not try to get mismatches with Gates more who was abusing the Chiefs?

ScottXray
09-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Only thing you can take form this week is:

Chiefs D looks improved. O looks the same, or maybe worse (on a wet field)
since Cassel was major FAIL (10-22 for 68 yds? UGH!) ST look very good.
Chargers O looks worse (on a wet field). Rivers loses cool if things go wrong.
Chargers ST are equivalent to ours and can be had .
Denver O looks slightly better, but run game is poor (due to O line). D is slightly better against the run, but pass D will struggle without Dumervil and QB pressure.
Raiders look about the same, but played a much better team than others.

All of this will change as the season goes on.

TotallyScrewed
09-14-2010, 06:43 AM
I'm not interested in JUST the AFCW, otherwise we could have six SB's/yr. too.

All teams are still trying to iron out the wrinkles. Hopefully the Broncos succeed at that and we get a true evaluation later in the year.

Steve Sewell
09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
1. chargers.
2. KC.
3 . Crap.

Ok now rank your viqueens in the NFC north.

watermock
09-14-2010, 08:08 AM
1 GB

WTF?

Rice and Harvin are out.

STFU. 14-9?

At least Minn has a coach.

go_broncos
09-14-2010, 08:12 AM
1. Chargers
2. Chiefs
3. Denver
4. Raiders

Durango
09-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Chargers
Chiefs
Broncos
Raiders

San Diego has an elite QB. No-one else does, although Orton is the best of the rest. Kansas City has the best rushing offense followed by San Diego and then Denver. Oaklands rushing attack is muddled by a combination of below-average O-line and apparently bad, bad coaching of some very talented RBs.

Defensively, San Diego has a talent mix better than the rest of the west, while Kansas City has talent that hasn't lived up to potential..yet. Oaklands' defense will be pretty good as the season goes on, or so it looks on paper, and the Broncos will limp along with some great players here and there.

Tom A Hawk
09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
chiefs run game was pretty much held in check minus that big TD.

I think their defense is improved but Chargers was looking like the Broncos, moving the ball and not scoring. They had 389 yards for **** sake. And offense's will improve as the season moves on.

Chiefs had that surprise element and that's what ultimately won the game.

How do you not keep a running game in check when the defense knows you are going to run all the time? No secret that Cassel can't be trusted to carry this team with his arm...especially not when it is raining and you have a 14 point lead. Running was obvious and the SD was ready for that. Chiefs will have to work on some other options.

Naggle Nole
09-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I think it is actually pretty funny how the holes on all the teams seem to complement each other

Oakland has a strong D with a good mix of vets and youth, but they have an questionable offense with a slightly above average QB and no real playmakers to speak of despite considerable investments on that side of the ball

KC has unproven youth on both sides and playmakers, but probably don't have the consistent elements on the lines. They will have a "Wow" game like they did last night, but when they aren't scoring on STs and explosive Charles plays, they will struggle mightily with a VERY average offense

SD has the talent on offense, but they are discovering (much like the Jets last night) that you can't just pencil in production from a young back. If Mathews (or Shonn Greene) is going to fumble the game away, then defenses will just key on your playmakers (Gates) and force Rivers to go jump ball offense. With how their ST and D looked, I laugh at anyone who expects more than 10 wins out of them

As for us, we seem to be the most solid in terms of no major holes, but we lack for playmakers. We have no electric players on offense like KC or SD, but we have slightly more versatility. We don't have the potentially dominating D like Oakland, but we have the pieces in place to be serviceable, which I don't think KC or SD can say.

Kind of funny how it all works out. Maybe the most interesting thing is just how bad the O-lines are for the entire AFC West. At this point, I am not sure that there is a single team with anything better than an average line. I think the non-division games for all of the AFC West teams are going to open some eyes about our divisional strength.

If I had to rank everyone I would go by their ceiling, which I would say is:

SD - 10 games, MAYBE 11 because they play the NFC West
Denver - 10 games, more likely 8-9
Oakland - 8 games, but I smell 7-9
KC - 7 games, but more likely 6-10

I would love to put us ahead of SD, but until they lose in December I don't see how you can

Mountain Bronco
09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I was actually fairly impressed with the Cheifs D, however, the weather assisted them greatly and I don't think they hold up in good conditions.

Chargers
The rest

The Chargers always start slow, so this is no suprise, plus they have come back to the pack a bit.

I can't have much confidence in the Broncos when they lose to a crappy team like the Jags.

colonelbeef
09-14-2010, 09:29 AM
1.Chargers, not by much
2.Chiefs/Broncos toss up
4.Raiders

AFC West ****ing sucks, real shame that McDaniels decided to rip up a perfectly functional, dangerous, and young offense instead of focusing on the defense.

watermock
09-14-2010, 09:30 AM
The AFC West sucks.

Spider
09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
The AFC West sucks.
No .................... Say it isnt so ..............

TheProfessor
09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
The AFC West sucks.

isn't that the truth.

As for the topic, SD always looks bad in the begining of the season-Then Nov/Dec roll around.

This is how the division looks right now.
1. SD
2. KC
3. DEN

4. OAK

Merlin
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Raiders are still the bottom feeders of the division...other than that anything else is mere speculation. I think we may have a better gauge of the remaining 3 after next week.

Br0nc0Buster
09-14-2010, 10:40 AM
how anyone could put KC over Denver is beyond me
their defense looks much better, and their ST did well

but their offense still stinks

SD ALWAYS starts out slow, does anyone remember last years opener against Oakland and how good they made Oakland look?

Chiefs look better than the Raiders tho, so I would rank them this way:
1 SD
2 Den
3 KC
4 Oak

but it was the opener for the new stadium in crappy weather against a team that always sleepwalks through the first month of the season, I was not shocked at all by the outcome last night

in fact I will say this is the year we finally sweep KC

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
The Chiefs that played last night would beat the holy shiat out of the Broncos that played last Sunday. McCluster, Arenas, and Charles are going to be tough for any team to handle... but especially this team.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 11:08 AM
We're about to complete week one of the regular season, and I thought it would make sense since we've now seen every team in action, to rank the AFC West in terms of the PRESENT strength of each team, and I suppose also for each week. In other words where does each team rank in the pecking order now, not down the road 4 games or something.

1. Chuggers
2. Broncos
3. Chefs
4. :spit:

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
The Chiefs that played last night would beat the holy shiat out of the Broncos that played last Sunday. McCluster, Arenas, and Charles are going to be tough for any team to handle... but especially this team.

How many third downs did the chefs convert again? Yah, that's what I thought...

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2010, 11:18 AM
How many third downs did the chefs convert again? Yah, that's what I thought...

What happened last time we played against Jamal Charles? How did our special teams hold up against the powerhouse return game of Tiquan Underwood? Yah, that's what I thought.

Naggle Nole
09-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Hyperbole much?
With the way our LBs and STs were playing, I will concede that we would have been gashed by these guys a little bit, but "beat the holy shiat" out of us?

Fact is, they would still have to play offense and defense just like any other team
Charles may have a big run, but another game like he had against us last year should get somebody fired
They have no ability to sustain drives, and I don't trust Cassel to exploit McCluster against our LBs the way that he probably should
Plus their secondary was playing like a sieve in the second half

Far more likely that we would be in a shootout with them than us getting handed our lunch

NFLBRONCO
09-14-2010, 11:24 AM
1. SD
2. Den
2. KC
2. Oak

We went 3-3 in division last year. I think Den KC and Oak can beat each other so can't say which team is clearly best we'll see. Oak and KC have speed advantage over Denver.

bronco militia
09-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I can't have much confidence in the Broncos when they lose to a crappy team like the Jags.

what? the broncos lost to crappy teams all the time

Dr. Broncenstein
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Hyperbole much?
With the way our LBs and STs were playing, I will concede that we would have been gashed by these guys a little bit, but "beat the holy shiat" out of us?

Fact is, they would still have to play offense and defense just like any other team
Charles may have a big run, but another game like he had against us last year should get somebody fired
They have no ability to sustain drives, and I don't trust Cassel to exploit McCluster against our LBs the way that he probably should
Plus their secondary was playing like a sieve in the second half

Far more likely that we would be in a shootout with them than us getting handed our lunch

The idea that this team -- with all of it's injuries, special teams issues, and talent void on defense -- is somehow definatively better than any team in the AFC West excluding the Raiders is delusional homerism.

bendog
09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
The idea that this team -- with all of it's injuries, special teams issues, and talent void on defense -- is somehow definatively better than any team in the AFC West excluding the Raiders is delusional homerism.

yeah, but for it all, I think Orton really is a significant upgrade over Cassel. But I have no illusion that otherwise the chorfs have better personnel because of their last 3 drafts.

ps bad day to be a jets fan.

Spider
09-14-2010, 11:36 AM
what? the broncos lost to crappy teams all the time

No this is something new , this has never ever happened to us before ........ Sarcasm is now turned off ;D

Naggle Nole
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM

Actually I agree with that
Look at my earlier post in this thread
All of the teams in the AFC West are flawed in ways that are exploitable by the truly elite teams

I never said anything about the Broncos being definitively better than any of our divisional rivals
However, it wasn't me that stated that we would have gotten our asses kicked :welcome:

rbackfactory80
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM

This. What scares me is we have no strong suit. We can't rely on any unit to get it done. The offense sputters, the defense needs breaks to make stops, and special teams is well not really special. The Chiefs have some young explosive talent, the only real bright spot I see anywhere on this team is Robert Ayers. Everywhere else along the board is getting too old and not reliable for the future.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2010, 11:53 AM
What happened last time we played against Jamal Charles? How did our special teams hold up against the powerhouse return game of Tiquan Underwood? Yah, that's what I thought.

Aside from the running game, their offense struggles. Shut down their running game and force Cassel to pass the ball...

KCStud
09-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Hey Kaylore, looks like you need to eat some crow. Remember when you proclaimed Pioli wasn't good at drafting?

Well looks to me like McCluster, Arenas, and Moeaki looked great. Jackson was also much improved over last season and looked very good against the run last night.
Oh and Succop was 25/29 with an 86% completion rate and a game winner last year, though he hasn't attempted a FG this year.
KC has some very good future stars all because of Pioli.