PDA

View Full Version : General Hockey Thread 2010-2011

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

chadta
06-17-2011, 02:36 AM
That is funny, because it has not been my experience that Toronto lacks idiots of their own.

its a different kind of idiot

the toronto idiot cant drive, has a big mouth, is rude, and ignorant, but generally harmless, most importantly they dont do well in crowds, most just leave.

i remember when the blue jays won the first world series, i actually liked baseball back then, half of toronto was closed because of people running up an down the streets, i didnt see any windows broken tho.

Where as when vancouver lost the cup in what 94 they had a riot just like the other night. That world series and cup were a few years apart.

Beantown Bronco
06-20-2011, 09:03 AM
http://www.tauntr.com/content/real-audio-tim-thomas-handshake

Smiling Assassin27
06-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Lidstrom coming back for his 20th year. Details on contract still undisclosed. Glad we don't have to replace Rafalski AND Lidstrom in a down year for D-men.

ETA: 1 year/6.2 mil.

Broncos_OTM
06-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Bunch of skinhead anarchists in canuck gear pretty much started the riots.

Skinheads dont care about any sport other than futbol.

SouthStndJunkie
06-22-2011, 05:04 PM
LAS VEGAS — Detroit Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom tonight won his seventh Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defenseman, putting him within one of Bobby Orr’s record.

Lidstrom edged Shea Weber of the Nashville Predators, 736-727, in the closest race for first place since 1996, when Chicago's Chris Chelios finished five points ahead of Boston's Ray Bourque, 408-403. With Lidstrom, Weber and third-place Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins receiving similar first-place vote totals (Lidstrom 35, Weber 32, Chara 33) and the trio separated by just 48 points, this marks the tightest three-way race for the Norris Trophy since its introduction in 1954.

gyldenlove
06-22-2011, 05:12 PM
LAS VEGAS — Detroit Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom tonight won his seventh Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defenseman, putting him within one of Bobby Orr’s record.

Lidstrom edged Shea Weber of the Nashville Predators, 736-727, in the closest race for first place since 1996, when Chicago's Chris Chelios finished five points ahead of Boston's Ray Bourque, 408-403. With Lidstrom, Weber and third-place Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins receiving similar first-place vote totals (Lidstrom 35, Weber 32, Chara 33) and the trio separated by just 48 points, this marks the tightest three-way race for the Norris Trophy since its introduction in 1954.

It will be his last, which is good, I don't think anyone should ever tie Orr, but 7 is very impressive and well deserved to go with his 3 runner ups this marks Lidstrom as not just one of the greats but maybe the greatest behind Orr.

It is mind boggling that he at age 40 can still maintain that level of play.

Beantown Bronco
06-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Two words......Timmy Thomas.

BroncosSR
06-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Clearance sale in Philly...

Jeff Carter to CBJ.

Mike Richards to LA.

BroncosSR
06-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Voracek and a 1st and 3rd for Carter.

Schenn, Simmons and a 2nd for Richards.

I'm sick to my stomach.

24champ
06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

I'm sick to my stomach.

Wow. I am disgusted we gave up Schenn.

24champ
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
@TSNBobMcKenzie (http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie): Bryzgalov contract with PHI is done. 9 years, $51 million.

24champ
06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Eklund is a retard he is now reporting the Kings are interested in Statsny.

UPDATE: The Kings are also interested in Stastny (e4) Could include picks and Bernier going to Colorado.

Smiling Assassin27
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
@TSNBobMcKenzie (http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie): Bryzgalov contract with PHI is done. 9 years, $51 million.

Wow, Philly gets their top tier goaltender and then gives away two foundational players. Strange.

Smiling Assassin27
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM

I like that deal for the Kings. GM's done a great job rebuilding that team.

24champ
06-23-2011, 02:15 PM
I like that deal for the Kings. GM's done a great job rebuilding that team.

We'll see. I like Richards and Kings now have a 1-2 punch at Centre. Just hope Schenn doesn't make this trade look bad. He's got a lot of potential.

Kings still need a top 6 LWer. As Smyth is going to be on his way to Calgary or Edmonton.

Steve Prefontaine
06-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Not excited about giving up Richards, even though he kind of disappeared in the playoffs this year.

I don't get to watch a lot of the Kings. What kind of player is Schenn? Doesn't look like he got much ice time this year. Obviously he is young.

24champ
06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Not excited about giving up Richards, even though he kind of disappeared in the playoffs this year.

I don't get to watch a lot of the Kings. What kind of player is Schenn? Doesn't look like he got much ice time this year. Obviously he is young.

He was the #2 overall pick a couple years back. So he's got talent for sure and I don't know what his ceiling is.

A talented, gritty and hard-working center, Schenn is a player who brings a lot of different elements to the table and possesses very few, if any, areas of weakness. A good skater with decent top speed, Schenn has the agility and mobility to beat defensemen off the rush. Schenn also boasts excellent puck skills and tremendous vision, making him not only a top-end playmaker, but a consistent threat to score as well. Perhaps his best attributes are his tireless work ethic and consistency. Schenn rarely has an off-game, let alone a bad shift, and always brings a high level of compete. A solid frame helps him win plenty of battles on the boards and in front of the net, and makes him incredibly difficult to knock off the puck.

http://media.whl.ca/2009-nhl-top-prospect-profile---brayden-schenn-brandon-wheat-kings-p128566

I'm wondering what happened with Richards, something happen between him and management? He was the franchise and leader of the club.

Hogan11
06-23-2011, 02:31 PM
He was the #2 overall pick a couple years back. So he's got talent for sure and I don't know what his ceiling is.

http://media.whl.ca/2009-nhl-top-prospect-profile---brayden-schenn-brandon-wheat-kings-p128566

I'm wondering what happened with Richards, something happen between him and management? He was the franchise and leader of the club.

Carter & Richards were said to be locker room cancers, Richards has also been rumored to be involved with cocaine (something, which I have never believed). I know a lot of people where questioning the heart and work ethic of both players in Flyerland. I really liked Richards, it's gonna be hard to see him go.

I appreciate the info you've provided as I too know very little about the players Philly got in return. I'm not sure how I feel about the moves they've made yet, still in a bit of shock I guess.

I sure hope they know what they're doing.

Steve Prefontaine
06-23-2011, 02:33 PM

A lot of people were expecting Carter to be traded, but Richard was a bit surprising.

I'm not sure what prompted it either. Maybe it just came down to money. Richards play did tail off towards the end of the year, but it's a good guess that he had injury that wasn't being disclosed. He just didn't look right. He's a tough player for sure and the Kings are definitely a better team with him on the roster.

BroncoLifer
06-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Clearance sale in Philly...

Jeff Carter to CBJ.

Mike Richards to LA.

Wow. HFBoards now experiencing a Mane-like traffic slowdown.

24champ
06-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Wow. HFBoards now experiencing a Mane-like traffic slowdown.

Probably because the entire country of Canada is on it.

BroncoLifer
06-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Probably because the entire country of Canada is on it.

Yes, plus 5% of Philly.

24champ
06-23-2011, 02:38 PM
A lot of people were expecting Carter to be traded, but Richard was a bit surprising.

I'm not sure what prompted it either. Maybe it just came down to money. Richards play did tail off towards the end of the year, but it's a good guess that he had injury that wasn't being disclosed. He just didn't look right. He's a tough player for sure and the Kings are definitely a better team with him on the roster.

I read on HFboards from a flyer fan, that Richards got shipped because there was a split in the locker room between Richards and Pronger and the GM had to make a decision. Seems more plausible than the Richards sniffing crack rumors etc.

Ray Finkle
06-23-2011, 03:11 PM
so let me get this straight.....the Flyers finally get a goalie then get rid of their two offensive stars....good job.

phillybroncosnut
06-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Richards was always questioned (on sports talk shows) weather he and Carter cared more about bar hoping and hanging out at the local watering holes or hockey. No doubt there were rifts between Richards and laviolette and Holmgren during this years playoff run and this is the result.
I dont really think the loss of either Carter or Richards will be huge. Maybe initially but I think the dealing by Holmgren isnt over. I expect another HUGE shoe to drop before the draft. Stamkos? Brad Richards? Not sure but I expect another player to enter the Flyers organization.
There were rumors earlier that Versteeg was on his way to Fla for the #3 overall pick. Thats BS though, has to be. Fla would be insane.

The Flyers had enough under the cap once they dealt Carter to get Bryzgalov signed. Richards severely wore out his welcome. That move freed up I think 12 mill for the Flyers. They will use a little of that to resign Ville Leino. They will probably end up with 9 or 10 mil to play with.

phillybroncosnut
06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
so let me get this straight.....the Flyers finally get a goalie then get rid of their two offensive stars....good job.

Last I checked, Giroux and JVR are still with the Flyers. Carter's 40 goals were great in the regular season every year but his disappearing acts every playoff year got very tiring.

phillybroncosnut
06-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Carter & Richards were said to be locker room cancers, Richards has also been rumored to be involved with cocaine (something, which I have never believed). I know a lot of people where questioning the heart and work ethic of both players in Flyerland. I really liked Richards, it's gonna be hard to see him go.

I appreciate the info you've provided as I too know very little about the players Philly got in return. I'm not sure how I feel about the moves they've made yet, still in a bit of shock I guess.

I sure hope they know what they're doing.

Still Shocked! Carter was very expected. 3 high draft picks, 3 players with huge upside and all 22 yrs old or younger, and a top 5 Goalie is great compensation for a regular season player and a "captain" who was anything but.

phillybroncosnut
06-23-2011, 03:36 PM

I'm sick to my stomach.

Why?

Pendejo
06-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Eklund is a retard he is now reporting the Kings are interested in Statsny.

UPDATE: The Kings are also interested in Stastny (e4) Could include picks and Bernier going to Colorado.

Dater started floating that rumor around the trade deadline. I don't think it's happening. Not only is Stastny a tremendous player, but I think the Avs need his salary to stay around the cap floor.

What do you think about the Richards deal? Clearly Lombardi had to do something.

Ray Finkle
06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Last I checked, Giroux and JVR are still with the Flyers. Carter's 40 goals were great in the regular season every year but his disappearing acts every playoff year got very tiring.

as good as they are, they're not replacing those two....and you now shot your wad on the cap room picking up Schenn....

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24

phillybroncosnut
06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
as good as they are, they're not replacing those two....and you now shot your wad on the cap room picking up Schenn....

According to that chart, looks like we are 7.5 under the cap. Take away some to sign Simmonds, Vorachek and leino.... And I anticipate dumping Versteeg and Carle or Coburn.
Even if we stand pat, I like where we are

Ray Finkle
06-23-2011, 04:56 PM
According to that chart, looks like we are 7.5 under the cap. Take away some to sign Simmonds, Vorachek and leino.... And I anticipate dumping Versteeg and Carle or Coburn.

true but teams are going to hold your feet to the fire on trades....I think Leino will take about 3 mil of that pie. You really can't dump Carle or Coburn with Pronger being injured....

It's a good risk but a high risk non the less that was made. It either nets you a great team or what McD did in Denver....

Steve Prefontaine
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM

Great points. JVR and Briere were the best and most consistent players on the team during the postseason. Richards and Carter were always hot and cold.

gyldenlove
06-23-2011, 07:06 PM

7.5 mil, assuming you send down Bobrovski and keep Leighton that is 9 mill, about 4.5 will go to Simmonds, Vorachek and Leino (conservatively), that leaves 4.5 to get 2 defenders and 1 forward under contract. That is not a lot of wiggle room.

BroncosSR
06-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Why?

Richards was built for this city. I'll never forget this goal. I was there when it happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMiLxhfCfZM

It's tough because I know he wasn't the player this year he was last year. I read though that Tocchet said that both 17 and 18 showed up to camp and just didn't have their head in it.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Flyers got really good compensation, I'm just sad to see Richards go because that guy is a warrior. Carter I was expecting and was ok with.

24champ
06-23-2011, 10:03 PM
The Kings, according to sources, have asked Ryan Smyth to waive his no-trade clause in order to trade him to the Calgary Flames. Smyth is said to be thinking it over, in the same way that the Flames’ Robyn Regehr is pondering whether to waive his no-trade clause to go to the Buffalo Sabres in a proposed deal.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey-paul-holmgren-shakes-up-flyers/article2073660/

SoCalBronco
06-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Interesting trade.....we'll see if it works out for the Flyers.

Incidentally, I was happy to see Disco Dan win the Jack Adams.

chadta
06-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Hopefully the flyer trades work out better than the McD trades.

Carter didnt even play half this years playoffs, and even when he was in he didnt contribute, hell do fine in CBJ cuz they never make the playoffs.

Richards when giving it his all is a hell of a player, but seems to me ever since versteeg showed up he mailed it in, He was a stevens guy, and liked the cake baking coach alot more than lavs hard ass approach to things.

Im still hoping to get rid of versteeg, and honestly wouldnt be upset if we got rid of hartnell and timmonen too, i mean if yer gonna do a full make over, do it, hartnell maybe picks his play up now that the party crew is gone, but timmonen seemed to have hit a wall near the end of the season, hes showing his age, and his 6.3 mill could be better used elsewhere.

Smiling Assassin27
06-24-2011, 07:44 AM
on a pens-related note, talbot's turned down a 3 yr deal with PIT to test the market. make it happen, kenny holland. this dude with darren helm and a guy with some scoring touch would wreak havoc.

alkemical
06-24-2011, 09:06 AM
That sucks about Talbot. I always enjoyed him on the Pens.

phillybroncosnut
06-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Hopefully the flyer trades work out better than the McD trades.

Carter didnt even play half this years playoffs, and even when he was in he didnt contribute, hell do fine in CBJ cuz they never make the playoffs.

Richards when giving it his all is a hell of a player, but seems to me ever since versteeg showed up he mailed it in, He was a stevens guy, and liked the cake baking coach alot more than lavs hard ass approach to things.

Im still hoping to get rid of versteeg, and honestly wouldnt be upset if we got rid of hartnell and timmonen too, i mean if yer gonna do a full make over, do it, hartnell maybe picks his play up now that the party crew is gone, but timmonen seemed to have hit a wall near the end of the season, hes showing his age, and his 6.3 mill could be better used elsewhere.

This isnt a full make over homie..... There are serious rumors going around here that the Flyers are sending the entire packages they got for Carter and Richie and Versteeg, and sending them to Tampa for Stamkos and Gagne. Stay tuned...... Id do it but really would like to hang on to Schenn. Probably not possible to keep him in a package for Stamkos though.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 09:21 AM
This isnt a full make over homie..... There are serious rumors going around here that the Flyers are sending the entire packages they got for Carter and Richie and sending them to Tampa for Stamkos and Gagne. Stay tuned...... Id do it but really would like to hang on to Schenn. Probably not possible to keep him in a package for Stamkos though.

That is not happening.

phillybroncosnut
06-24-2011, 09:22 AM
That is not happening.

Why? Tampa isnt going to give up the dough to keep Stamkos. They are not that type of orginization. If that falls through, Brad Richards is plan B. Either way, The Flyers arent done.

alkemical
06-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Why? Tampa isnt going to give up the dough to keep Stamkos. They are not that type of orginization. If that falls through, Brad Richards is plan B. Either way, The Flyers arent done.

I think Vinny will be moved before stamkos.

Ray Finkle
06-24-2011, 09:30 AM

TB would be dumb to take that package.....they could get more if the opened the market.

How do the Flyers have the money to sign Richards without gutting their team? They're what 5 or 6 mil under the cap with their own RFA's to sign.

Richards will be in TB or NY....

Beantown Bronco
06-24-2011, 09:47 AM
The Flyers arent done.

I beg to differ :)

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aD29_7fR-4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve Prefontaine
06-24-2011, 10:31 AM
I beg to differ :)

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aD29_7fR-4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haha. Well played.

Although I prefer to remember this way...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dbJps-ligYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too bad the Blackhawks sold their souls for a championship that year.

chadta
06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
TB would be dumb to take that package.....they could get more if the opened the market.

How do the Flyers have the money to sign Richards without gutting their team? They're what 5 or 6 mil under the cap with their own RFA's to sign.

Richards will be in TB or NY....

actually with laperierre on LTIR, and leighton and walker in the minors we have almost 12 mil in cap space

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stamkos

somebody has been listening to PBN

Steven Stamkos (born February 7, 1990) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player currently playing for the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League (NHL).

ill believe that when i see it tho

Baba Booey
06-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Yzerman will not move Stamkos. Give me a break.

Ray Finkle
06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
actually with laperierre on LTIR, and leighton and walker in the minors we have almost 12 mil in cap space

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stamkos

somebody has been listening to PBN

Steven Stamkos (born February 7, 1990) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player currently playing for the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League (NHL).

ill believe that when i see it tho

again....look at the RFA's and UFA's you'll have to keep and then have room for Stamkos?

right....

BroncosSR
06-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Yzerman will not move Stamkos. Give me a break.

He would have no choice with an offer sheet that he financially couldn't match. That and he'd receive 4 1st round picks.

I agree though, I don't think the Flyers have the money with the RFAs they still need to sign.

chadta
06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
i dont think they will, but until yesterday i thought that carter or richards would be gone, not both,

But if they move versteeg and the players they just got as part of the package they have more then enough room. so it is possible, highly unlikely, but hey ya never know, im hoping we can just dump versteegs salary, dont really care what we get back.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 01:10 PM
He would have no choice with an offer sheet that he financially couldn't match. That and he'd receive 4 1st round picks.

I agree though, I don't think the Flyers have the money with the RFAs they still need to sign.

He can match any offer sheet, TB has enough cap room to keep Stamkos at max salary if need be. The Flyers currently do not have cap space to make that move, in essence they would have to dump Carle, Versteeg and either Mezaros or Coburn and probably accept that Leino won't be coming back as well to make that move.

chadta
06-24-2011, 01:16 PM
He can match any offer sheet, TB has enough cap room to keep Stamkos at max salary if need be. The Flyers currently do not have cap space to make that move, in essence they would have to dump Carle, Versteeg and either Mezaros or Coburn and probably accept that Leino won't be coming back as well to make that move.

i would think that having just had to unload richards cuz of costs, he wouldnt do it,

but even more i hope the flyers dont do it, the team will go from one of the deepest on forwards to a 2 line team with 2 ahl league minimum lines team, just to stay under the cap.

Id love to have stamkos, but just dont see how they can do it and still ice a full team.

besides the deal mentioned was pretty well everything they just got for carter and richards, which is schenn at 3.1 cuz bonuses are included this year, and add in versteeg, who makes 3 something, add that to the already 12 mill in cap space and they could actually sign stamkos to the league max, and still ahve money to fill in the roster.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
i would think that having just had to unload richards cuz of costs, he wouldnt do it,

but even more i hope the flyers dont do it, the team will go from one of the deepest on forwards to a 2 line team with 2 ahl league minimum lines team, just to stay under the cap.

Id love to have stamkos, but just dont see how they can do it and still ice a full team.

besides the deal mentioned was pretty well everything they just got for carter and richards, which is schenn at 3.1 cuz bonuses are included this year, and add in versteeg, who makes 3 something, add that to the already 12 mill in cap space and they could actually sign stamkos to the league max, and still ahve money to fill in the roster.

12 mil?

I make it 9 and that is with Bobrovsky in sent down. If you remove Schenn you get to 12, but need 6 players including at least 4 forwards. If you are willing to let go of Leino then sure you can probably get players at 1-1.5 mill each on average but Leino will not come that cheap.

chadta
06-24-2011, 02:07 PM
12 mil?

I make it 9 and that is with Bobrovsky in sent down. If you remove Schenn you get to 12, but need 6 players including at least 4 forwards. If you are willing to let go of Leino then sure you can probably get players at 1-1.5 mill each on average but Leino will not come that cheap.

you forgot about Laperierre, 1.1 ltir, micheal leighton 1.5 minors, and matt walker 1.7 mill

add another 4 mill

I like the other rumors tho, that we are going to flip the 8 and versteeg to florida to get the #3, and that Adam Larsson is the target.

maher_tyler
06-24-2011, 02:34 PM
you forgot about Laperierre, 1.1 ltir, micheal leighton 1.5 minors, and matt walker 1.7 mill

add another 4 mill

I like the other rumors tho, that we are going to flip the 8 and versteeg to florida to get the #3, and that Adam Larsson is the target.

Avs trade Liles to Toronto for their 2nd round pick NEXT year!! WTF are the Avs doing???

DHallblows
06-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Avs trade Liles to Toronto for their 2nd round pick NEXT year!! WTF are the Avs doing???

Extra rebuilding period...

BroncosSR
06-24-2011, 02:47 PM

Not entirely true. They do have 23 million but also have a lot of open spots including no netminder. They got plenty of players to sign and putting max salary on 1 guy could be too much.

BroncosSR
06-24-2011, 02:48 PM

I don't believe Richards was moved for cost. The fact you get rid of your captain means there's something else going on in that locker room.

Aftermath
06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
BOTH trades were amazing! I am a HUGE flyers fan just as much as I am a broncos fan.
I loved Richards as a player, I think that he was given the "C" too soon. He doesn't have Captain characteristics and also hates the media attention. Both Carter and Richards were both also signed to MONSTER long contracts which gave them too much power. These guys are hella players but I think once they got their contracts they stopped caring?? as much. The locker room was divided and players like Kimmo and Pronger had enough of Richards. BOTH of their NTC's kick in next year I believe so Homer had to move now or never. They also loved to party HARD lol. Either way these trades had to be done, and the returns they got are incredible! The Jackets and Kings both knew that the Flyers were in cap hell now and still gave them great return. BASICALLY this is what was done:

Carter and Richards
for
Bryzgalov, Schenn (#1 Prospect, 19yrs), Simmonds(22yrs),Voracek(21),8th overall,2nd rounder,3rd rounder, and some cap space.

This team will be killer in a couple years. Im glad Homer had some balls and made these deals.

BroncoLifer
06-24-2011, 03:35 PM

It's worse -- that's Boston's 2nd round pick coming back to the Avs.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 04:36 PM

add another 4 mill

Lapierre is on a 35+ contract so you can't get rid of his cap hit unless you trade him, even if he retires he will still count.

Sending down Leighton brings you to 9, and Matt Walker is not counted in that. I go off the numbers on capgeek.com which are usually pretty reliable.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Not entirely true. They do have 23 million but also have a lot of open spots including no netminder. They got plenty of players to sign and putting max salary on 1 guy could be too much.

Watch Yzerman sign Chris Osgood to about 1.75 million per year over 2 years to fix his goaltending for now. Even needing 4 or 5 forwards beside Stamkos and Purcell and a defender and backup goalie they can fit in Stamkos at a 10 mill per year cap hit if they want to.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Sounds like a great trade for Toronto, lets hope Liles doesn't pull a Finger and disappears off the face of the earth.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 04:45 PM
The east will be interesting this year, a lot of teams look like they can compete. Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington, Carolina all look good to me.

orange crusher
06-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Gabriel Landeskog @ #2 for the Avalanche.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Gabriel Landeskog @ #2 for the Avalanche.

Could be an interesting 1-2 punch with Duchene in a few years.

orange crusher
06-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Per espn insider, the Avs are willing to package the 11th pick to get a goaltender and have been talking to Vancouver about Cory Schneider and LA about Jonathan Bernier.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Per espn insider, the Avs are willing to package the 11th pick to get a goaltender and have been talking to Vancouver about Cory Schneider and LA about Jonathan Bernier.

It will be interesting to see when the first trade comes in.

24champ
06-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Ryan Smyth is heading back to Edmonton.

The Los Angeles Kings forward was traded to the Oilers in exchange for forward Gilbert Brule and a fourth-round draft pick.

Smyth is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $4.5 million this season, although the cap hit is $6.25 million.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369870

24champ
06-24-2011, 05:06 PM

Kings aren't going to part with Bernier for an 11th pick. I don't see Vancouver trading Schneider either for that pick, this is a down draft. Not a lot of value to be had.

chadta
06-24-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't believe Richards was moved for cost. The fact you get rid of your captain means there's something else going on in that locker room.

actually that was in reference to brad richards being moved from tampa not the mike richards deal.

Watch Yzerman sign Chris Osgood to about 1.75 million per year over 2 years to fix his goaltending for now. Even needing 4 or 5 forwards beside Stamkos and Purcell and a defender and backup goalie they can fit in Stamkos at a 10 mill per year cap hit if they want to.

they have cap room but do they have the hard cash to do it ? ticket prices are low, attendance isnt great, and lecavalier gets 10 mill hard cash this year, im not so sure they can match an offer sheet, even tho they ahve cap room, i mean when have they ever spent to the cap ?

Lapierre is on a 35+ contract so you can't get rid of his cap hit unless you trade him, even if he retires he will still count.

but if hes on LTIR you can exceed the cap by the amount he gets paid, and with his concussion stuff he is not coming off LTIR

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 05:24 PM
but if hes on LTIR you can exceed the cap by the amount he gets paid, and with his concussion stuff he is not coming off LTIR

I am pretty sure a player can not be on LTIR during the offseason, so at least between the date teams need to be compliant with the cap and the first regular season game you can not use his cap space.

orange crusher
06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Kings aren't going to part with Bernier for an 11th pick. I don't see Vancouver trading Schneider either for that pick, this is a down draft. Not a lot of value to be had.

I think they're saying that they would include the 11th pick as part of the package.

chadta
06-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I am pretty sure a player can not be on LTIR during the offseason, so at least between the date teams need to be compliant with the cap and the first regular season game you can not use his cap space.

you can exceed the cap by 10% in the off season, and when the season starts he is on LTIR, so hes a non issue

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
you can exceed the cap by 10% in the off season, and when the season starts he is on LTIR, so hes a non issue

Don't you have to comply a few weeks before the season?

chadta
06-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Don't you have to comply a few weeks before the season?

im not sure, i think the cap only runs from the last day of pre season until june 30th

BroncosSR
06-24-2011, 06:36 PM
actually that was in reference to brad richards being moved from tampa not the mike richards deal.

My bad. I withdraw the comment your honor. That being the case, I agree with the Brad Richards comment.

gyldenlove
06-24-2011, 07:02 PM
im not sure, i think the cap only runs from the last day of pre season until june 30th

Could be, I am not really that much into the hockey salary cap.

24champ
06-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Glad the Winnipeg franchise is keeping the Jets name. We'll see what they do with the Logos and such. Wonder if they bring Benny the mascot back?

http://www.winnipegjetsonline.com/images/content/wheresBenny/wheresBenny-benny03-lg.jpg

serious hops
06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm satisfied with the Avs first picks. I won't pretend to know much about hockey prospects, but the team badly needs more size and grit, and these guys seem to offer both. Decent start.

Baba Booey
06-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Adam Larsson...oh baby

24champ
06-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Adam Larsson...oh baby

Yeah, a great selection by the Devils. Thought he was the best player in the draft.

gyldenlove
06-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Yeah, a great selection by the Devils. Thought he was the best player in the draft.

He definitely fits the profile of a Devils defenseman.

chadta
06-25-2011, 09:22 AM

i was really hopin the flyers were gonna move up and grab him, i realy liked the idea of dumping versteeg and movnign up, dammit

24champ
06-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Really happy with the Kings selection of Nick Shore in the third round. Finally a Kings prospect on the DU Pioneers.

Aftermath
06-25-2011, 04:21 PM
i was really hopin the flyers were gonna move up and grab him, i realy liked the idea of dumping versteeg and movnign up, dammit

yea, I liked him and Dougie Hamilton alot for Philly, oh well, that Couterier(sp?) supposedly is going to be a bad dude and was a great steal.

Baba Booey
06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Devils got the USHL's leading scorer, Blake Coleman, in the 3rd round today. He's heading to Miami Ohio in the fall.

Also picked up Reid Boucher from the US Under 18 team in the 4th. He was second on the team in scoring and outscored guys like J.T. Miller and Tyler Biggs, both first rounders. He's probably going to play for Omaha in the USHL for a year before heading to Michigan State in the fall of '12.

chadta
06-26-2011, 04:28 AM
yea, I liked him and Dougie Hamilton alot for Philly, oh well, that Couterier(sp?) supposedly is going to be a bad dude and was a great steal.

last year that couterier kid was expected to go #1 this year, but he had a bad case of mono and missed a bunch of time and lost a bunch of weight, I guess they took best player available rather then a position of need, cuz with pronger and timmo getting old we need a stud D man

24champ
06-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Smyth traded to Oilers for a 2012 7th round pick and Fraser.

Kings will be major players on July 1st.

SoCalBronco
06-28-2011, 08:26 PM
The Penguins have offered Jaromir Jagr a 1 year deal to come back to Pittsburgh from the KHL. Alot of fans are still upset over the dying alive comments from 10 years ago, but I think having guys like Neal and Jagr compliment Sid and Geno would be exciting.

gyldenlove
06-28-2011, 08:35 PM
The Penguins have offered Jaromir Jagr a 1 year deal to come back to Pittsburgh from the KHL. Alot of fans are still upset over the dyling alive comments from 10 years ago, but I think having guys like Neal and Jagr compliment Sid and Geno would be exciting.

Apparently it is down to the Red Wings and Penguins, although rumors have it that Chicago may have been in some talks as well.

alkemical
06-29-2011, 06:05 AM
The Pens are at the point now, where they can go after older vets to file roles. Or trade one of 1000000 Dmen that are in the system for wingers.

Smiling Assassin27
06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Apparently it is down to the Red Wings and Penguins, although rumors have it that Chicago may have been in some talks as well.

I sure would love to see Datsyuk centering Jagr for a year. He's 39 but was still producing well in the KHL. He' d be an upgrade over Hudler, IMO. Go get 'im, Holland.

Smiling Assassin27
06-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Best of luck to Paul Kariya, a noted wings killer. Get well and congratulations on a great career. Read the whole thing--scary as hell what happened to this guy's brain.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6716981

Paul Kariya announces retirement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Scott Burnside
ESPN.com

After missing the entire 2010-11 season because of post-concussion symptoms, Paul Kariya announced his retirement from the NHL Wednesday after 15 seasons.

Kariya said there was no angst about the decision.

"This is a black-and-white issue," he told ESPN.com. "It wasn't very difficult at all."

Kariya, a left wing, was the fourth overall pick of the Anaheim Ducks in 1993 after a phenomenal college career that saw him win the Hobey Baker Award as a freshman at the University of Maine.

He and Teemu Selanne, acquired from Winnipeg in February 1996, became one of the most dynamic duos in the NHL, helping to establish the Ducks as a player in the California sports scene.

He had 989 career points (402 goals, 587 assists) in 989 regular-season games and was a two-time winner of the Lady Byng Trophy. He also represented Team Canada at the 1994 and 2002 Olympics, winning a gold medal in 2002.

Kariya, who also played in Colorado, Nashville and St. Louis, released a statement Tuesday afternoon, thanking the fans and former teammates and coaches for their support.

24champ
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Today's the first day UFA's can sign. Mostly small signings so far.

Scottie Upshall to Florida.
Sean O'Donnel to Chicago.
Jose Theodore to Florida.

Ray Finkle
07-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Today's the first day UFA's can sign. Mostly small signings so far.

Scottie Upshall to Florida.
Sean O'Donnel to Chicago.
Jose Theodore to Florida.

Upshall's a good signing....good player, good rate.

Smiling Assassin27
07-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Flyers sign Jagr. Details to come.

How's that taste, Pens faithful?

24champ
07-01-2011, 10:27 AM
GMillerTSN

LA Kings going all out for Brad Richards. CEO Tim Leiweke, Pres. and GM Dean Lombardi and the coaches going in person to present LA's offer.

24champ
07-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Upshall's a good signing....good player, good rate.

I didn't see the contract, I was assuming it was a massive overpayment, considering its FL.

Smiling Assassin27
07-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Tim Connolly to the Stars. 8 yrs 55 mil. WTF?

Confirmed bogus report.

24champ
07-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Jagr is a gambling drunk, he's broke and looking for another paycheck.

Not sure why the Flyers signed him since they got rid of Richards and Carter for their partying ways.

bronco militia
07-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Not sure why the Flyers signed him since they got rid of Richards and Carter for their partying ways.

that was Socal and alkemical's line Ha!

24champ
07-01-2011, 10:34 AM
According to Mackenzie of TSN, its 1yr/ 3.3 million for Jagr.

Smiling Assassin27
07-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Looks like the avs signed Hedja. He would've looked good in Motown. WTF is Kenny Holland doing?

http://www.dbusiness.com/galleries/193/2849-KenHolland.jpg

Smiling Assassin27
07-01-2011, 10:35 AM

At any rate, it should make the rivalry even uglier. ROFL!

24champ
07-01-2011, 10:37 AM

I do wonder if Mario will cry to Bettman and threaten that he will leave the league if the NHL doesn't reject the signing.

24champ
07-01-2011, 10:42 AM
helenenothelen Helene Elliott
Kings got into offices of Richards' agent and are starting presentation now.

Kings are going all in with Richards.

Beantown Bronco
07-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Classic.

24champ
07-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Avalanche trade for Varlamov.

Capitals acquire a first round pick in 2012 and a second round pick in 2012 or 2013 from the Avalanche for Semyon Varlamov.

Smiling Assassin27
07-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Defenseman Ed Jovonovski has returned to where he started his career, signing a four-year deal worth $16.5 million with the Florida Panthers, TSN.ca reports

That is friggin' insane.

chadta
07-01-2011, 11:42 AM

maybe not but signing talbot sure does, hopefully hes one of those guys you hate until hes on your team, cuz i sure hate him now, and not sure i really like him for 5 years 9 mil.

but hey anything that pisses off the pens is ok in my books

DHallblows
07-01-2011, 11:42 AM
The Panthers are still a team?! Good for them

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Avalanche trade for Varlamov.

Capitals acquire a first round pick in 2012 and a second round pick in 2012 or 2013 from the Avalanche for Semyon Varlamov.

Yeah, that's just a phenomenal trade for the Caps.

A guy who can't stay healthy and was probably going to bolt to the KHL because he wasn't the guaranteed starter in DC, for what potentially could be a Top 10 pick in a deep draft.

24champ
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
maybe not but signing talbot sure does, hopefully hes one of those guys you hate until hes on your team, cuz i sure hate him now, and not sure i really like him for 5 years 9 mil.

but hey anything that pisses off the pens is ok in my books

Flyers are at the cap at 63.8. Someone has to go, I assume.

Beantown Bronco
07-01-2011, 12:17 PM
A lot of teams are going to be in for a rude awakening when the cap goes down after this season and they have to unload half their rosters.

Ray Finkle
07-01-2011, 01:11 PM

A guy who can't stay healthy and was probably going to bolt to the KHL because he wasn't the guaranteed starter in DC, for what potentially could be a Top 10 pick in a deep draft.

a steal....Varly is a turd.

BroncoLifer
07-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Another angry rant from Peter Stastny in 3...2...1...

Hogan11
07-01-2011, 01:50 PM

WTF is that?? Why on Earth???

gyldenlove
07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
So far Detroit has resigned their own guys and given a million dollars to Mike Commodore, I am not sure they felt the need to give Commodore a million dollars, but maybe he can cook or something, because I can only hope he doesn't play.

24champ
07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Flyers trade Versteeg to FLA.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
FLA signs Tomas Fleischmann for four years, $18M.

Ville Leino has agreed to terms with BUF, 6 years for $27M.

VAN agrees to terms with Marco Sturm, one year, $2.25M

Ponikarovsky gets $1.5M on a one year deal in Carolina.

Panthers, Flyers, and Stars have been making a lot of transactions today.

alkemical
07-01-2011, 02:12 PM
yeah, i wasn't surprised to see jagr go elsewhere. the way mario loathed him when he was a pansy in the playoffs, i didn't figure that wound smoothed over.

24champ
07-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Avalanche just signed goalie JS Giguere.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/322141.html

gyldenlove
07-01-2011, 02:30 PM
A lot of of contracts people will be regretting in a years time are being signed today, wow. I am guessing right now some owners are hoping like hell they get another take-back of 25% in the next CBA like they did in the previous one.

Hogan11
07-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Flyers trade Versteeg to FLA.

Expected that one

24champ
07-01-2011, 02:45 PM
A lot of of contracts people will be regretting in a years time are being signed today, wow. I am guessing right now some owners are hoping like hell they get another take-back of 25% in the next CBA like they did in the previous one.

Some teams need to meet the salary floor, so that's why your seeing FLA hand out ludicrous contracts.

chadta
07-01-2011, 04:26 PM

Luxury tax.

Big market teams will keep paying.

gyldenlove
07-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Luxury tax.

Big market teams will keep paying.

Yeah, but why did Buffalo spend so heavily? they are one of the smallest markets.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Caps get the choice of Boston's 2012 2nd or the Avs' 2013 2nd to complete the Varly trade.

Beantown Bronco
07-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah, but why did Buffalo spend so heavily? they are one of the smallest markets.

Like 24champ mentioned, the salary floor. I assume they were significantly under it.

SoCalBronco
07-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Looks like the Flyers offered 1.3 million more than we did for Jagr, so I can see why he chose them. He'll help them out. Shero is pretty disciplined with cap stuff, so he prolly didnt want to get into a bidding war. Max will also help Philly out, he is a tough, gritty player that has alot of intangibles. While I'm not happy he went to the Flyers, I am glad he got paid. He's a very hard worker and very good teammate. I'll always be grateful to him for coming up big in Game 7 in the Finals. He was Geno's best friend, too.

I'm pretty happy with our roster as is, IF the big guys are healthy. If they're healthy, then we have the best team, period. They don't need a ton of help, since the defense is top notch right now and the goaltending was alot more consistent this year. I think Neal will be great with Sid next year. Maybe add a decent priced winger and we'll be ready.

EDIT: Looks like they brought Steve Sullivan aboard on the cheap.

chadta
07-02-2011, 03:51 AM

new owner that has money, he made a big deal when he bought the team of saying they wont be letting stars go anymore, they will spend to the cap, and the number one thing is to try and win the cup.

look for the team to lose a ****load of money this year, they do actually sell out most games but the ticket prices are so low that they are still bottom third in league revenue.

gyldenlove
07-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Like 24champ mentioned, the salary floor. I assume they were significantly under it.

No, right now they are 300k from salary cap and still have 3 roster spots to fill to someone has to go.

gyldenlove
07-02-2011, 08:34 AM
new owner that has money, he made a big deal when he bought the team of saying they wont be letting stars go anymore, they will spend to the cap, and the number one thing is to try and win the cup.

look for the team to lose a ****load of money this year, they do actually sell out most games but the ticket prices are so low that they are still bottom third in league revenue.

Yeah but it is a small tv-market and small-ad market as well and their arena doesn't have a million luxury boxes. Just because you can spend to the cap, doesn't mean you should in a year with such a weak FA class and potential uncertainty about the labor situation. I think some teams can be in for a nasty surprise when the CBA needs renegotiated, they will almost certainly try to reduce it to make the floor much more forgiving than it is now, if you are stuck with long term deals at 4 mill per year for players who shouldn't be making more than 2 that can come down to some nasty cash outlays for buyouts or letting go of some free agents you would rather have kept.

SoCalBronco
07-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Richards to Finkle's Rags. 9/60.

Ray Finkle
07-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Richards to Finkle's Rags. 9/60.

WHAT? Weren't you the one that said it wouldn't happen???? :D

24champ
07-02-2011, 03:22 PM
The Los Angeles Flyers signed LW Simon Gagne to a 2 yr contract with a cap hit of 3.5 million.

chadta
07-02-2011, 05:08 PM
The Los Angeles Flyers signed LW Simon Gagne to a 2 yr contract with a cap hit of 3.5 million.

and the caps signed tomas vokoun for 1 year 1.5

steal of the off season so far i think. but im not sure the problems with the crapitals has been in net.

gyldenlove
07-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Red Wings sign Ian White to 2.75 mill per year for 2 years.

chadta
07-02-2011, 05:30 PM

i like gagne but thats too much for him, altho compared to the other stupid deals going out lately i guess its right on.

at first i thought you had him for 2 years 3.5 total

Ray Finkle
07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
The Caps steal Vokun....1 year, 1 1/2 mil....wow.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Man is Adrian Dater butthurt.

Pre-July 1- Avs are going after Vokoun hard
July 1- spends all day trying to spin and say the Caps didn't bend the Avs over
July 2- Caps don't know what they want to do, and signing TV is a slap in the face to Neuwirth and Holtby

Varlamov

For

Vokoun
1st
2nd

Yeah, Caps kind of came out ahead on that one.

SoCalBronco
07-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Caps are definitely doing well this offseason.

24champ
07-02-2011, 06:21 PM
i like gagne but thats too much for him, altho compared to the other stupid deals going out lately i guess its right on.

at first i thought you had him for 2 years 3.5 total

When you compare deals with Leino (6 yrs, 27 million), Fleischmann (4 years 18 million), Erik Cole (4years 18 million).

Yeah I'd say the Kings did alright with this deal.

gyldenlove
07-02-2011, 06:40 PM
When you compare deals with Leino (6 yrs, 27 million), Fleischmann (4 years 18 million), Erik Cole (4years 18 million).

Yeah I'd say the Kings did alright with this deal.

It will depend, if Gagne has a couple of 25 goal seasons in the tank he will be a nice compliment to play with Richards or Kopitar. If he can't be healthy then it is a waste of 7 million, especially given the uncertainty of the 2012-2013 season.

Ray Finkle
07-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Caps are definitely doing well this offseason.

still have little heart and no D....

SoCalBronco
07-02-2011, 07:12 PM
still have little heart and no D....

They re-signed Laich (although they may have slightly overpaid) who was the only guy on the team that has any kind of positive intangibles, but yeah I think they still have some issues between the ears....but on paper, they are looking tough.

Ray Finkle
07-02-2011, 07:18 PM
They re-signed Laich (although they may have slightly overpaid) who was the only guy on the team that has any kind of positive intangibles, but yeah I think they still have some issues between the ears....but on paper, they are looking tough.

Look at their D....they have some nice pieces in their young guys but are charmin soft or old at the other 4. They needed a Langway type...

Hercules Rockefeller
07-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Looking at the deals from yesterday, Laich was not overpaid. Term might be a little long, but the $$$ amount wasn't.

#4 in GAA and #2 PK with two rookies as the top pair.

24champ
07-03-2011, 12:15 AM
It will depend, if Gagne has a couple of 25 goal seasons in the tank he will be a nice compliment to play with Richards or Kopitar. If he can't be healthy then it is a waste of 7 million, especially given the uncertainty of the 2012-2013 season.

I don't know about wasting money, Kings aren't in cap hell and won't be for the future. That's even with Doughty signed. We replaced Smyth atrocious cap hit with Gagne's. It's an upgrade.

We're still going to have the ability to make runs at big FAs like Parise or Patrick Sharp. Dean Lombardi has done a great job getting the franchise to this point. There's been bumps on the road for sure. As for Gagne, I wouldn't measure his contract just by how many goals he scores. Gagne and Richards will make our PK unit that much better, they've been shutting down all the duos that were in the east, especially Crosby/Malkin.

Richards and Justin Williams were former Flyers and they were texting Gagne, talking about how exciting it would be to play together.

“I’m really good friends with Justin. We kept in touch when he got traded to Carolina. We came into the league almost at the same time, same age, so we’re really close together, really tight. So we kind of kept in touch last year, all year long. He texted me yesterday that L.A. could be a good fit, that they were looking for a left winger, and he was kind of pushing for me to sign in L.A. So it’s always fun to do stuff like that. Today, I had a chance to talk to Mike Richards this morning, and it was the same thing on his side. He said, `You know, we could play again on the same line and do all the good stuff we did in Philly in the past.’ I kind of got excited a little bit at that time, and I know that my agent and the Kings were talking at the same time. So I was very excited when I got the phone call from my agent that we got a deal. They got the fax and I signed it and it was done. I was very excited about that, and those two guys definitely helped me to make a decision to come to L.A.”

The chemistry on this team is going to be off the charts, hopefully it nets the Kings their first ever cup.

Awe yaaaaa

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1529454/44640_Maple_Leafs_Flyers_Hockey.jpg

gyldenlove
07-03-2011, 08:05 AM
I don't know about wasting money, Kings aren't in cap hell and won't be for the future. That's even with Doughty signed. We replaced Smyth atrocious cap hit with Gagne's. It's an upgrade.

We're still going to have the ability to make runs at big FAs like Parise or Patrick Sharp. Dean Lombardi has done a great job getting the franchise to this point. There's been bumps on the road for sure. As for Gagne, I wouldn't measure his contract just by how many goals he scores. Gagne and Richards will make our PK unit that much better, they've been shutting down all the duos that were in the east, especially Crosby/Malkin.

Richards and Justin Williams were former Flyers and they were texting Gagne, talking about how exciting it would be to play together.

The chemistry on this team is going to be off the charts, hopefully it nets the Kings their first ever cup.

Awe yaaaaa

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1529454/44640_Maple_Leafs_Flyers_Hockey.jpg

Wasting money is not about cap, it is about cash. The salary floor now is so high that at least 50% of the teams in the league will run a deficit even if they stay right at the floor. The income differential in the NHL is much greater than in the NFL with a few Eastern teams raking in huge wads of dough, I am not sure where the Kings feature on the income scale.

What I worry about is that this is potentially the last year of hockey under the current CBA and given the precedence being set right now by the NFL and NBA that is not a good climate for signing big contracts unless the owners are hoping for another give-back. Many of the contracts signed now feature significant signing bonuses being paid out this year and next, and if there is no hockey those bonuses will still be paid (the Rangers for instance will be on the hook for I think 8 million dollars to Richards next year regardless if there is hockey or not).

I know for some teams who used to spend 60-70 million per year in salaries before the salary cap this is not a big deal, but for many teams 48 million is more than they are able to spend without running a deficit and giving multiyear contracts at inflated salaries now puts them in severe jeopardy (I am looking at Dale Tallon here).

I think the Gagne deal is fine, it is nowhere near as retarded as the deals folks like Leino or Kopecky got, Gagne has more talent than either of those two and could provide excellent value if he is healthy, but is also a severe injury risk so could be a bit of bust.

chadta
07-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Wasting money is not about cap, it is about cash. The salary floor now is so high that at least 50% of the teams in the league will run a deficit even if they stay right at the floor. The income differential in the NHL is much greater than in the NFL with a few Eastern teams raking in huge wads of dough, I am not sure where the Kings feature on the income scale

we have this very discussion on the flyer board all the time, it almost seems as if the cap was brought in not help the smaller teams, but at the same time kill them.

What happens if the Canadian dollar goes back down to 60 cents ? right now the 6 Canadian teams provide over 35% of the ticket revenue. all 6 teams are in the top 10 for most expensive tickets, and all 6 are in the top 12 for attendance, they are carrying the league, what happens when they cant ?

Dallas and tampa, the two southern teams that people try to use to show that hockey can and does work in the south both give tickets away, and still cant fill the rinks.

I get a kick out of watching games where they say for 50 bucks you get 2 tickets, 2 hats, a program, and a beer. You know what 50 bucks gets you in toronto ? PARKING, nothing more.

gyldenlove
07-03-2011, 11:06 AM
we have this very discussion on the flyer board all the time, it almost seems as if the cap was brought in not help the smaller teams, but at the same time kill them.

What happens if the Canadian dollar goes back down to 60 cents ? right now the 6 Canadian teams provide over 35% of the ticket revenue. all 6 teams are in the top 10 for most expensive tickets, and all 6 are in the top 12 for attendance, they are carrying the league, what happens when they cant ?

Dallas and tampa, the two southern teams that people try to use to show that hockey can and does work in the south both give tickets away, and still cant fill the rinks.

I get a kick out of watching games where they say for 50 bucks you get 2 tickets, 2 hats, a program, and a beer. You know what 50 bucks gets you in toronto ? PARKING, nothing more.

Toronto alone generates more revenue than the bottom 3 teams combined, I believe the top 6 teams in terms of revenue generate more revenue than the bottom 12 combined.

Speaking of Toronto by the way, how the hell did they sucker Nashville into taking Brett Lebda?

Before the salary cap, Detroit and the Rangers each spend more on salaries than Atlanta, Florida and Nashville combined.

It was thought the cap would help in preventing that huge gap between top and bottom, and it has to some extend but because of the Canadian dollar rising, and the continued inequality in revenue the cap floor is now pushing most teams to spend more than they ever have before and more than they can.

Islanders, Coyotes, Jets, Panthers, Sabres, Lightning, Blues, Predators, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets and Stars will all run a deficit this year. The Caps, Avs and Oilers are also in serious danger of running deficits.

SouthStndJunkie
07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
DETROIT -- After more than 400 wins and three Stanley Cups, Chris Osgood figures he has nothing left to prove.

The occasionally-maligned goaltender who eventually earned the admiration of Detroit's passionate fans announced his retirement Tuesday, ending a career in which he helped the Red Wingsto two championships as a starter and another as a backup. Although he was often overshadowed by his talented teammates, Osgood accomplished enough to start an interesting discussion about his Hall of Fame chances

SouthStndJunkie
07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Come on now....I'm a Red Wing homer and I don't think Ozzy is a Hall of Famer.

gyldenlove
07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Come on now....I'm a Red Wing homer and I don't think Ozzy is a Hall of Famer.

I think he is, 10th all time in wins, went to playoffs with every team he played for including the Islanders and Blues, 2 Stanley cups as starter and 3 finals appearances as starter and arguably one of the most important members of both the 08 and 09 teams.

8th all time in playoff wins, 4th all time in playoff shutouts. He is not a first ballot hall of famer, but he did enough.

alkemical
07-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I think he is, 10th all time in wins, went to playoffs with every team he played for including the Islanders and Blues, 2 Stanley cups as starter and 3 finals appearances as starter and arguably one of the most important members of both the 08 and 09 teams.

8th all time in playoff wins, 4th all time in playoff shutouts. He is not a first ballot hall of famer, but he did enough.

Do you think mark recchi deserves to be in the HOF?

gyldenlove
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Do you think mark recchi deserves to be in the HOF?

Easily, he has the career numbers, now he has a shiney new cup to go with it and some pretty solid playoff scoring numbers.

I would not be too surprised to see him make it on his first ballot along with Modano who would be eligible and is a surefire first ballot guy. Right now there are only a couple of players eligible who I think will definitely make it (Oates, Bure, Andreychuck and Burns), next year Sakic and Shanahan will both be 1st ballots, there are 3 or 4 other strong candidates but then we get into a bit of a slow period with Hasek and Chelios being the most obvious 1st ballot choices before Modano and Recchi are eligible.

24champ
07-19-2011, 01:43 PM
The Tampa Bay Lightning announced Tuesday that the club has agreed to a five-year contract with restricted free agent Steven Stamkos.

The 21-year-old will earn $37.5 million over the course of the deal.

"Steven is extremely important to this franchise and is part of the foundation of our hockey team," general manager Steve Yzerman said in a statement. "We are very pleased to have him signed and look forward to seeing him in a Lightning uniform for years to come."

Stamkos will earn $4 million in the first year with a $4 million signing bonus, $5 million in the second year with a $3 million bonus, $8 million in years three and four and $5.5 million in the final year, averaging $7.5 million a season.

Next up, Doughty...Uhh

alkemical
07-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Any of you DU fans see this guy:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11197/1160815-61.stm

Beau Bennett. What do you think of him?

SouthStndJunkie
07-26-2011, 10:42 AM
DETROIT -- Red Wings forward Kris Draper, who helped Detroit win four Stanley Cups, announced his retirement Tuesday.

Draper, 40, was named the NHL's best defensive forward in 2004. But injuries limited him to 47 games and 11 points last season.

bronco militia
07-26-2011, 10:43 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TwAbZhMGVEw/Rh6xPin2ipI/AAAAAAAABIY/tYw-KDrpdbA/s400/claudelemieux.jpg

beat it...

Ray Finkle
07-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Cally in fold for 3 more years.....new captain time!

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 07:31 AM
DETROIT -- Red Wings forward Kris Draper, who helped Detroit win four Stanley Cups, announced his retirement Tuesday.

Draper, 40, was named the NHL's best defensive forward in 2004. But injuries limited him to 47 games and 11 points last season.

Poster boy for what made the Wings successful--selfless, gritty, defensive minded, and one hell of a good guy in the locker room. Without guys like him, the Wings don't get their Stanley Cups. An overachiever by all accounts, who made the most of his skills. Nice career, Drapes. Well done.

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 07:35 AM

No doubt. Is he on the level of a Roy, Sawchuk, or Fuhr? Probably not. But he didn't just have a long career and ride it out, he was as productive a goalie during his time as anyone not named Brodeur. I gotta think he gets in at some point in the future.

gyldenlove
07-28-2011, 08:10 AM
No doubt. Is he on the level of a Roy, Sawchuk, or Fuhr? Probably not. But he didn't just have a long career and ride it out, he was as productive a goalie during his time as anyone not named Brodeur. I gotta think he gets in at some point in the future.

He is no Hasek, Roy, Brodeur or Sawchuck, certainly not and I would never claim as much, but then again Joe Nieuwendyke was no Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman or Howe.

I would draw a lot of paralels between Fuhr and Osgood, both won behind great teams, neither put up consistently great save % or GAA numbers. Fuhr obviously played behind the greatest dynasty in the last 30 years, but really I don't think you can ever really claim that Fuhr won a Stanley cup for his team.

I think if you induct a guy like Belfour I don't see how you can keep out Osgood in the long run. Sure Belfour won a lot of games, but his playoff record is not as good as Osgoods (lower win%, lower GAA, lower save %, fewer championships).

broncofan2438
07-28-2011, 08:11 AM
There is no time for this ****. Keep it football. Lockout is over

Smiling Assassin27
07-28-2011, 08:29 AM

How the hell can you talk football when Ray Emery's going to Blackhawks camp on a tryout?? ROFL!

BroncosSR
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
How the hell can you talk football when Ray Emery's going to Blackhawks camp on a tryout?? ROFL!

Or that Mike Richards didn't want to go to Dry Island... (http://www.foxsportswest.com/07/27/11/Richards-happy-to-leave-Dry-Island-for-L/landing_kings.html?blockID=542014&feedID=3650)

Aftermath
07-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Dont like hockey? Get out. Hockey is just as good as Football.