PDA

View Full Version : Why we lost Sunday

DivineLegion
09-13-2010, 06:40 PM
-Special teams killed us on Sunday. On average the Jaguars started on the 34 yard line. They had returns to the 40 (10 yrds taken off for an illegal block so really the 50), 44, 36, and 53. Everytime Jacksonville needed to put a drive together they had a short field in this game. Our defense didn't really play that bad they just had no room for error.

-We don't have the speed to contian RBs running to the edge. Our interior line did a good job of holding at the point of attack, and Jacsonville was relativly unsuccessful running the ball inside because of our size. Our biggest weekness was Hunter, Ayers, and Hagan in pursuit. I thought Elvis looked slow in pursuit last year, but this is a whole new world of hurt. Maybe we need to start working WWIII into our starting rotation. At least we would have two linbackers quick enough to make plays to the outside. Hagan is just too slow to start inside in a 3-4.

-Where was the Blitz?? Wink is not Mike Nolan, and that became very apparent yesterday. First off Wink did Wink make any halftime adjustments, second it seemed like after Jacksonville hit one big play he got timid with his blitz's. This is a wait and see kind of situation, but right now its not looking good for the Broncos.

-What happened to Champ? I was expecting really good things from Champ this season, and I made it a point when arguing for the Broncos in this game to highlight Champs matchup with Sims-Walker. My optamism burned me big time on this one. While were on the topic of corners why in the hell was Nate Jones our nickle corner...I almost puked.

Thats were my observations on the key points the Broncos need to adress moving forward if they expect to have a winning season.

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 06:46 PM
All we heard from the mCd defenders was that Nolan was too safe and didn't want to blitz. I was expecting a way more agressive blitz package from a disciple of Rex Ryan.

DivineLegion
09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
All we heard from the mCd defenders was that Nolan was too safe and didn't want to blitz. I was expecting a way more agressive blitz package from a disciple of Rex Ryan.

I really thing Wink got gun shy once we got burned. Maybe its a rookie coordinator thing but I was suprised that we gave up on the blitz that quickly. Your right though Josh made it seem like Mike wasn't blitzing enough when promoted Wink.

mwill07
09-13-2010, 06:53 PM
-What happened to Champ? I was expecting really good things from Champ this season, and I made it a point when arguing for the Broncos in this game to highlight Champs matchup with Sims-Walker. My optamism burned me big time on this one. While were on the topic of corners why in the hell was Nate Jones our nickle corner...I almost puked.

???
Sims-Walker had zero catches.

Mike Thomas got deep on Champ once, I know Champ broke up at least two other passes.

What's the matter with Champ here now?

WolfpackGuy
09-13-2010, 06:57 PM

I think some of that was staying home to contain Jones-Drew.

But yeah, no excuse for not bringing a lot of heat on Garrard in non-rushing situations.

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I really thing Wink got gun shy once we got burned. Maybe its a rookie coordinator thing but I was suprised that we gave up on the blitz that quickly. Your right though Josh made it seem like Mike wasn't blitzing enough when promoted Wink.

Jags are a team you have to blitz and get Gerrard off his timing. MJD is going to get his yards.

You also can't give them the ball at the 45 after every kick.

DivineLegion
09-13-2010, 07:07 PM
???
Sims-Walker had zero catches.

Mike Thomas got deep on Champ once, I know Champ broke up at least two other passes.

What's the matter with Champ here now?

I wasn't saying Sims-Walker burned him I was just making the point that I had full confidence in Champ shutting down that side of the field.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-13-2010, 07:15 PM
We have a patchwork offensive line. Clady is a shell of himself. Harris is inevitably out. Our D line consists of scraps from 3-4 teams with actual NFL talent. Our best defensive player and only consistant pass rusher is on IR.

That, and we were beaten like a drum in the special teams / field position battle.

This is why we lost sunday.

DivineLegion
09-13-2010, 07:18 PM
We have a patchwork offensive line. Clady is a shell of himself. Harris is inevitably out. Our D line consists of scraps from 3-4 teams with actual NFL talent. Our best defensive player and only consistant pass rusher is on IR.

That, and we were beaten like a drum in the special teams / field position battle.

The Patchwork offense definitly hurt us. Zane Beadles got beat like a red headed step child by Aaron Kampman. 1.5 Sacks, and probably 4-5 clean shots on Orton from a willy vet whos in the twilight of his carieer is not going to win us ball games.

I think its debateable as to wether Doom is our best defensive player. DJ put up a really good case for himself in this game.

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 07:28 PM
The Patchwork offense definitly hurt us. Zane Beadles got beat like a red headed step child by Aaron Kampman. 1.5 Sacks, and probably 4-5 clean shots on Orton from a willy vet whos in the twilight of his carieer is not going to win us ball games.

I think its debateable as to wether Doom is our best defensive player. DJ put up a really good case for himself in this game.

Champ played well DJ was the best front 7 player. If Ayers could become consistent he will be a value player, maybe not a Doom but he will be worth a 1st round pick.

Popps
09-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Lock the thread.

gtown
09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Our team looks big and physical but slow. The LB corps sucks with Doom out. Off tackle runs and passes to the TE are gonna kill us all year. No pass rush. Its groundhog day. But we might be better un the second half if we are indeed physical.

Br0nc0Buster
09-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Champ was fine
I was a little surprised and dissapointed we didnt blitz more, but maybe we did it to keep MJD and bay and make Garrard beat us

and with our lack of pass rush he had no problem
I hope they turn up the heat against Seattle

Popps
09-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Champ was fine
I was a little surprised and dissapointed we didnt blitz more, but maybe we did it to keep MJD and bay and make Garrard beat us

and with our lack of pass rush he had no problem
I hope they turn up the heat against Seattle

Actually... that's probably not far from the truth, and had we not stepped on our dicks with penalties and poor special teams play, we probably would have won the game.

RonDaChamp24
09-14-2010, 12:52 AM
I think we lost because we didn't score more than the other team.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2010, 09:01 AM
ST coverages, two 15-yd facemask penalties on the same drive (along with a few other penalties), fumble in the redzone, back to back holding penalty and a sack in the redzone.

I still say Denver has a decent/good roster, but playing on the road you can't afford too many mistakes. I'm looking forward to seeing Demaryious and Harris added to the O.

Kyle
09-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I think we lost because we didn't score more than the other team.

Beat me to it.

PRBronco
09-14-2010, 10:41 AM

I take issue with this. Aaron Kampman is awesome (and only 30), don't let it reflect too poorly on Beadles' pro debut.

TheProfessor
09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
As much as I always disliked Shanahans small/fast type of defensive players I wish McDaniels would focus a little more on speed.

This is one of the slowest defenses I have seen in a while.

Hulamau
09-14-2010, 11:18 AM

That about sums it up ... and we still lost only by 7 and could easily have won this game with a break or two going our way. Lots of work to do all around but I remember the worry aftre the first game last year too , tempered only by the immaculate reception and the balm of victory snatched from the jaws of defeat.

I am concerned about how slow Ayers and particularly Haggan looked on the RB pursuit to the outside though. They looked like they had lead boots on compared to MJD. Still we more or less contained MJD, considering how many touches he had.

We knew this team was NOT going to be in mid season form early for all the obvious reasons. We just have to hope we can pull it together to split the first half of the games if possible and grab the majority of the final 8 games.

We need McBath back on ST as well. Has anyone heard an actual injury report on him more detailed than 'Forearm injury'? Did he rebreak the thing ( I hope not as it might mean he has a chronic problem there) ?

Kaylore
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
It was special teams and mistakes in the redzone. Clady still recovering doesn't help, but that's not "why" we lost.

I would like to point out Priefer ran a crappy ST unit in KC and inexplicably McDaniels hired him. 2009 our ST was still crappy and yet Priefer remains. We open the season with another horrendous display on special teams this time costing us the game.

Why is he here? I can't stand Priefer and I'm really getting tired of a decade plus of terrible special teams. It's pathetic. Yet McDaniels still thinks Priefer and his suck ST coaching needs to stay. Meanwhile KC fires him and suddenly their ST are good. That's not a coincidence. Mike Priefer sucks as a coach.

baja
09-14-2010, 11:59 AM
It was special teams and mistakes in the redzone. Clady still recovering doesn't help, but that's not "why" we lost.

I would like to point out Priefer ran a crappy ST unit in KC and inexplicably McDaniels hired him. 2009 our ST was still crappy and yet Priefer remains. We open the season with another horrendous display on special teams this time costing us the game.

Why is he here? I can't stand Priefer and I'm really getting tired of a decade plus of terrible special teams. It's pathetic. Yet McDaniels still thinks Priefer and his suck ST coaching needs to stay. Meanwhile KC fires him and suddenly their ST are good. That's not a coincidence. Mike Priefer sucks as a coach.

Maybe he's McDaniels Slowick....

Really I thought the STs last year was much improved over 08.

Yes we looked terrible on coverage in Jac. but the kicking and return game was solid.

Kaylore
09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Maybe he's McDaniels Slowick....

Really I thought the STs last year was much improved over 08

We had one good game against SD and even then we gave a up a TD to Sproles on a return. The rest of the year our ST have been ineffectual on both returns and coverage. I expect more of the same this year. And if he doesn't get fired at the end of the year, that alone will be enough to move me to the "pissed at McDaniels" camp.

Naggle Nole
09-14-2010, 12:12 PM
We had one good game against SD and even then we gave a up a TD to Sproles on a return. The rest of the year our ST have been ineffectual on both returns and coverage. I expect more of the same this year. And if he doesn't get fired at the end of the year, that alone will be enough to move me to the "pissed at McDaniels" camp.

At the time, I thought it was just an example of Hillis being a liability
If it continues this season, then we know that something is serious wrong with our gap discipline on our coverage units
With the focus on drafting players with the ability for high-level ST play(something that was obviously an afterthought in the Shanahan years), I know that the problem is no longer talent
This falls on Priefer and, by extension, McD

What makes it worse is that it goes both ways
Not only do we give up embarrassing amounts of return yardage, but we haven't seen return ability of our own since the legendary Glenn Martinez
I saw sparks of life in that department during the preseason, so I will hope to see something soon

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
If it continues this season, then we know that something is serious wrong with our gap discipline on our coverage units
With the focus on drafting players with the ability for high-level ST play(something that was obviously an afterthought in the Shanahan years), I know that the problem is no longer talent

Not only do we give up embarrassing amounts of return yardage, but we haven't seen return ability of our own since the legendary Glenn Martinez
I saw sparks of life in that department during the preseason, so I will hope to see something soon

What blows my mind is both ST units looked really disciplined in the preseason. You can't have Vanilla coverage units so WTF happened.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2010, 12:33 PM

Yeah, hiring a guy named Chuck is ridiculous. Find me a coach named Sirloin. Or New York Strip.

Naggle Nole
09-14-2010, 12:35 PM
What blows my mind is both ST units looked really disciplined in the preseason. You can't have Vanilla coverage units so WTF happened.

You could say that about just about every unit on Sunday
Say what you want about injuries and rookies, but we looked like some deer in headlights in many areas beyond just ST down in Jacksonville
Pretty inexplicable after looking pretty damn solid in the preseason

Cito Pelon
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Yeah, me too.

~Crash~
09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Lock the thread.

Well you might say that I would Add . We should see more smart plays I seen one WR stop a sure INT. so I would say we need more that kind of thing in a game .

Durango
09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
-Special teams killed us on Sunday. On average the Jaguars started on the 34 yard line. They had returns to the 40 (10 yrds taken off for an illegal block so really the 50), 44, 36, and 53. Everytime Jacksonville needed to put a drive together they had a short field in this game. Our defense didn't really play that bad they just had no room for error.

-We don't have the speed to contian RBs running to the edge. Our interior line did a good job of holding at the point of attack, and Jacsonville was relativly unsuccessful running the ball inside because of our size. Our biggest weekness was Hunter, Ayers, and Hagan in pursuit. I thought Elvis looked slow in pursuit last year, but this is a whole new world of hurt. Maybe we need to start working WWIII into our starting rotation. At least we would have two linbackers quick enough to make plays to the outside. Hagan is just too slow to start inside in a 3-4.

-Where was the Blitz?? Wink is not Mike Nolan, and that became very apparent yesterday. First off Wink did Wink make any halftime adjustments, second it seemed like after Jacksonville hit one big play he got timid with his blitz's. This is a wait and see kind of situation, but right now its not looking good for the Broncos.

Thats were my observations on the key points the Broncos need to adress moving forward if they expect to have a winning season.

Wordy. 'We suck' would've pretty much covered all the high points.

Mogulseeker
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
We need a safety who is hella fast and can tackle. That would help us on the outside run and in special teams.

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 01:27 PM
We need a safety who is hella fast and can tackle. That would help us on the outside run and in special teams.

Careful your approaching Earl Thomas territory.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2010, 01:27 PM

I thought you were Brady Quinn til I saw the join date.

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I thought you were Brady Quinn til I saw the join date.

:spit:

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 01:30 PM
You could say that about just about every unit on Sunday
Say what you want about injuries and rookies, but we looked like some deer in headlights in many areas beyond just ST down in Jacksonville
Pretty inexplicable after looking pretty damn solid in the preseason

It was an undisciplined performance from the entire team. The only unit that has an excuse was our most effective unit on sunday...our Offense.

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Wordy. 'We suck' would've pretty much covered all the high points.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we suck just yet its week one.

Kaylore
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Let's talk about this.

The first two preseason games our ST were crap. McDaniels was livid about it and personally oversaw the ST practices going into the week we played the Steelers. Things improved. However the regular season came around and I believe McDaniels focused on the other things for Jags week and we're right back to where we started as sucking on ST. I hope it's anomalous. Maybe it is a result of us sucking in September in Florida. Regardless, the performance of the ST on this team the past ten years is sickening and it's time we see things change.

DivineLegion
09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Let's talk about this.

The first two preseason games our ST were crap. McDaniels was livid about it and personally oversaw the ST practices going into the week we played the Steelers. Things improved. However the regular season came around and I believe McDaniels focused on the other things for Jags week and we're right back to where we started as sucking on ST. I hope it's anomalous. Maybe it is a result of us sucking in September in Florida. Regardless, the performance of the ST on this team the past ten years is sickening and it's time we see things change.

There was one play I remember specifically where the first player down the field could have forced the returner into our kick coverage if he would have held his lane but he decided to take on a blocker and opened up a hole for a 50 yard return. It really comes down to discipline. This could be a direct result of coaching (more than likely) or it could just be inexperience, but thats why we went out and picked up guys like Joe Mays. Wasn't there a point last year where Josh had some of our starters out on kick coverage because it was that awful?

baja
09-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Let's talk about this.

The heat had nothing to do with leaving one whole side of the field uncovered though

baja
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Actually I think Josh himself answered to OP the best. He said, "We did not play complementary football."

broncosteven
09-14-2010, 02:04 PM

What irritates me is that when mCd came in he talked about addressing all 3 phases of the game and then for the 2nd straight year our ST's suck ass and seem like an after thought.

Could be worse we could be picking through other teams garbage for starters on D one week before the season started. OOOPS it is worse.

ColoradoDarin
09-14-2010, 02:09 PM
There was one play I remember specifically where the first player down the field could have forced the returner into our kick coverage if he would have held his lane but he decided to take on a blocker and opened up a hole for a 50 yard return. It really comes down to discipline. This could be a direct result of coaching (more than likely) or it could just be inexperience, but thats why we went out and picked up guys like Joe Mays. Wasn't there a point last year where Josh had some of our starters out on kick coverage because it was that awful?

WR Willis.