PDA

View Full Version : Off Matt Ryan as legit NFL QB bandwagon.

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Count me in as being off the Matt Ryan Bandwagon.

I think Cutler is a better QB than Ryan.

Beantown Bronco
09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Now this thread has potential. There are a lot of big-time Ryan fans here for some reason. IMO - he got way too much credit for his rookie year....where he really didn't do a heck of a lot (and didn't have to) because of the running game and supporting cast. Reminds me of Sanchez last year to some extent.....though not as turnover prone.

Chris
09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, this begs the question - what happened to Michael Turner?

tsiguy96
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
when you have michael turner in his prime lighting people up, you will have a great year. now that people know matt ryan, hes average. shows just how hard it is to find a great QB, when did the last one come out? sanchez is in same boat, not great, maybe top 20 and i think thats all he will ever be.

Man-Goblin
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
You lost me at Cutler is better.

TonyR
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Agree. Ryan is overrated and has gotten a free pass from the media.

OBF1
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
he is no Brian Griese

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
He wasn't that good at Boston College folding in every Championship game they played.

TonyR
09-13-2010, 10:39 AM
he is no Brian Griese

Speaking of Griese, I thought he was pretty good on KOA.

Kaylore
09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm not a Ryan fan, but not many QB's look good playing in Pittsburgh on opening night.

underrated29
09-13-2010, 11:24 AM
yep, its always the same. The media gets its crushes without taking into account all the aspects of the game.

ryan
sanchez
sproles, last year
alex smith
any raiders player or the team.

orangemonkey
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Matt Ryan is legit. No world beater yet, but plenty of upside. Pitt's defense eats up QB's (See Orton's 50 QB rating during pre-season)

ColoradoDarin
09-13-2010, 11:34 AM
He's just alright, but that does make him better than Cutler.

JDB7821
09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
As a Falcons fan living in Atlanta (I like the Broncos too, obviously)...I have to agree with you. Matt Ryan has severely disappointed me since his rookie year. I was 100% against drafting Matt Ryan with the third pick (I wanted McFadden, I know, I was wrong there too.) I was at the Georgia Dome for Ryan's first game against the Lions and was ecstatic with the way he played, including his first pass for a touchdown.

But now it's getting to the point where it feels like the same ol' Falcons. The defense impressed me to an extent and definitely played well enough to win, but Roddy White said it best: the offense let the defense down. That falls squarely on Ryan's shoulders. I rooted for him after we drafted him and after his great rookie season, but that was 2 years ago. All I heard about this offseason is how he studied his ass off to get better and watched what the other great quarterbacks were doing, but then fell flat on opening day.

I've seen every game Matt Ryan has played in and people talking about how he has regressed are just wrong. He hasn't gotten worse, he just hasn't gotten any better and defenses have tape on him now so he looks worse.

Pony Boy
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
I will get on the Sam Bradford bandwagon...... the kid can play

colonelbeef
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Cutler has always been better than Ryan, he is better than Flacco as well.

Cutler will emerge this year, crap OL be damned

boltaneer
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, this begs the question - what happened to Michael Turner?

He was a bit out of shape/overweight last year and he just seemed sluggish. Though he started to really turn it on until he got injured.

Supposedly he's leaner this year but going up against Pittsburgh's defense will make a lot of good players look average.

Taco John
09-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm not a Ryan fan, but not many QB's look good playing in Pittsburgh on opening night.

I consider how a QB plays in an opening game to be indicative of how they respond to high pressure games (ie. post season). When you have a quarterback who chokes in week one, but then calms down as the season progresses, there's a good chance that once the games start to really "count," that guy is going to tighten up and choke again.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
You lost me at Cutler is better.

He essentially just said Matt Ryan couldn't cut it as a back up in the Canadian League.

ghwk
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
This isn't good for me. He and Orton are my backups, depending on which threads I choose to read I have two guys circling the drain.

WolfpackGuy
09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Ryan is a rich man's Kyle Orton...

ColoradoDarin
09-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I consider how a QB plays in an opening game to be indicative of how they respond to high pressure games (ie. post season). When you have a quarterback who chokes in week one, but then calms down as the season progresses, there's a good chance that once the games start to really "count," that guy is going to tighten up and choke again.

Is this serious? With how right you are with your football takes, I think you need to order "chicken salad, on rye, untoasted, with potato salad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY)"...

Taco John
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Is this serious? With how right you are with your football takes, I think you need to order "chicken salad, on rye, untoasted, with potato salad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY)"...

Let's put it to the test. Name a playoff choker, and let's compare their post season performance to their Week 1 performances.

I can tell you where I got the notion from: I found this correlation when researching stats for Jake Plummer. Throughout his career (in both Denver and Arizona), Jake's week one performances were statistically bad, just like his career post-season performances.

I wouldn't exactly call it science unless it was clearly repeatable, but it's good enough anecdotally as far as I'm concerned.

gunns
09-13-2010, 05:02 PM
I will get on the Sam Bradford bandwagon...... the kid can play

Yes he can. I was totally wrong about him. Felt bad for St. Louis yesterday, losing at the end.

ColoradoDarin
09-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Let's put it to the test. Name a playoff choker, and let's compare their post season performance to their Week 1 performances.

I can tell you where I got the notion from: I found this correlation when researching stats for Jake Plummer. Throughout his career (in both Denver and Arizona), Jake's week one performances were statistically bad, just like his career post-season performances.

I wouldn't exactly call it science unless it was clearly repeatable, but it's good enough anecdotally as far as I'm concerned.

How about I go the opposite, I'll name someone who crapped the bed, then had a good season and then won the Superbowl...

Patriots 0 Bills 31
Tom Brady (http://web.archive.org/web/20060720121340/http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20030907_NE@BUF), who replaced Bledsoe as the Patriots' starter in 2001, had an abysmal outing. He finished 14-of-29 for 123 yards and was intercepted four times, tying a career high; he also suffered four against Denver in 2001.

ColoradoDarin
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Then there's some guy who opened 16/28 for 150 yards, 1 TD and 2 Ints (at home nonetheless!) and happened to carry his team to a Superbowl, John Elway circa 1989.

Taco John
09-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Then there's some guy who opened 16/28 for 150 yards, 1 TD and 2 Ints (at home nonetheless!) and happened to carry his team to a Superbowl, John Elway circa 1989.

Thanks for your one game analysis. Clearly you've proven me wrong.

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 05:25 PM

Ummm this proved Taco right, Elway was crap and outmanned vs the 49ers.

broncocalijohn
09-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Cutler has always been better than Ryan, he is better than Flacco as well.

Cutler will emerge this year, crap OL be damned

Amazing you can post with all that cutler jiz hanging from your tongue. Get real. One game and same **** every year. 16 games not 1 game folks. Ez up a ton.

ColoradoDarin
09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Ummm this proved Taco right, Elway was crap and outmanned vs the 49ers.

I do believe Elway had to win a couple of games in the playoffs in order to get to the Superbowl, but I could be wrong.

ColoradoDarin
09-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks for your one game analysis. Clearly you've proven me wrong.

I gave you 2 seasons, I don't know how much worse that is than extrapolating an entire league from Jake Plummer. If you're going to go by anecdotal evidence, I'm certainly not going to pour over a ton of stats. Clearly better teams win more games than poor teams, better teams thus usually have better players, QBs are players, it's really a hypotenuse thingy 8')

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 06:01 PM
I do believe Elway had to win a couple of games in the playoffs in order to get to the Superbowl, but I could be wrong.

So did Plummer in 2005 it was a playoff game which was Taco's point.

ColoradoDarin
09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
So did Plummer in 2005 it was a playoff game which was Taco's point.

John Elway 1989 Division and AFCCG stats
vs Pitt 12/20 60% 239 1/1 97.7 rating
vs Cle 20/36 56% 385 3/0 120.7 rating

Jake Plummer 2005 Division and AFCCG stats
vs NE 15/26 58% 197 1/1 78.5 rating
vs Pitt 18/30 60% 223 1/2 66.4 rating

Yes, we won that 2005 game against NE despite Plummers average play. His point was not about winning and losing, it was about QB play.

Mediator12
09-14-2010, 05:47 AM
As a Falcons fan living in Atlanta (I like the Broncos too, obviously)...I have to agree with you. Matt Ryan has severely disappointed me since his rookie year. I was 100% against drafting Matt Ryan with the third pick (I wanted McFadden, I know, I was wrong there too.) I was at the Georgia Dome for Ryan's first game against the Lions and was ecstatic with the way he played, including his first pass for a touchdown.

But now it's getting to the point where it feels like the same ol' Falcons. The defense impressed me to an extent and definitely played well enough to win, but Roddy White said it best: the offense let the defense down. That falls squarely on Ryan's shoulders. I rooted for him after we drafted him and after his great rookie season, but that was 2 years ago. All I heard about this offseason is how he studied his ass off to get better and watched what the other great quarterbacks were doing, but then fell flat on opening day.

I've seen every game Matt Ryan has played in and people talking about how he has regressed are just wrong. He hasn't gotten worse, he just hasn't gotten any better and defenses have tape on him now so he looks worse.

That is it in a nutshell. Great post ;D

Once teams have tape on Rookie QB's, the Qb's have to progress outside their comfort level in order to get back to just average. Ryan is still better than average, it is just a lot harder than people think to play QB in this league. Plus, they just played on the road at PIT :welcome:

I would not say he will not progress more this year until after week 10 and all the bye stuff has been played out. I love the OM though, jumping ship after one game 8')

TonyR
09-14-2010, 06:41 AM
...jumping ship after one game 8')

One game? Ryan had a very mediocre 2009, finishing the year as the 20th rated QB. Nobody's saying the book is closed on his career, or at least shouldn't be, but I think it's very possible that he's not going to live up to the hype he got his rookie year (2008).

RhymesayersDU
09-14-2010, 06:57 AM
I'm glad Taco is a better webmaster than he is actual poster.

Zing.

Mediator12
09-14-2010, 07:03 AM
One game? Ryan had a very mediocre 2009, finishing the year as the 20th rated QB. Nobody's saying the book is closed on his career, or at least shouldn't be, but I think it's very possible that he's not going to live up to the hype he got his rookie year (2008).

Hype is all about perception and expectations. You can not control the media perceptions, but you can control your perceptions and expectations.
Worry about the things you can control.

I never thought Matt Ryan was the next great QB coming out, but he can easily be a top 10 QB if he works hard enough and gets the right players around him. They still lack some weapons in ATL and their OL is one of the most inconsistent in the league. Hard to be a top tier QB without the supporting cast.

Also, they need a good offensive scheme. Personally, I think ATL's offensive scheme is Draconian and extremely simple in today's NFL. It will be hard for him to ever put up Elite QB number's until they change that IMHO.

ColoradoDarin
09-14-2010, 07:06 AM
i'm glad taco is a better webmaster than he is actual poster.

Zing.

rofl!

LRtagger
09-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Just think...if it wasn't for Michael Vick, the Falcons would still have Schaub and they could have selected Clady, Ellis, Dorsey, Rivers, Mayo, etc in 08.

broncocalijohn
11-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Amazing you can post with all that cutler jiz hanging from your tongue. Get real. One game and same **** every year. 16 games not 1 game folks. Ez up a ton.

wonder how the Ryan haters still feel about him? Falcons arent doing too bad. Of course now they hate on Bert.

Popps
11-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Oh god, I hadn't seen this yet.

Hilarious!

Excellent work.

TDmvp
11-13-2010, 03:36 PM
I should go around and bump all the threads where Popps and others talking about how good of coach Josh is going to be but that would be just as stupid ...

But I guess some people need all the moral victories they can get .
:poke::poke::poke:

and i'm just playing don't get your panties in a bunch

Ryan has looked really good tho so far ... that home record is nuts.

Dedhed
11-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Wow, shocking that you would so hideously jump the gun in writing someone off, and so dimwittedly cling to Cutler.

Shocking.

Zoobie
11-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, and Freeman are the class of young QBs.

UberBroncoMan
11-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I should go around and bump all the threads where Popps and others talking about how good of coach Josh is going to be but that would be just as stupid ...

But I guess some people need all the moral victories they can get .
:poke::poke::poke:

and i'm just playing don't get your panties in a bunch

Ryan has looked really good tho so far ... that home record is nuts.

Ya. I hear all Kyle Orton does is win as a starting QB.

Popps
11-13-2010, 05:40 PM

Dude, I get threads and quotes bumped all the time.

Problem is, I just don't care. Show me someone here who hasn't been wrong at some point. These losers troll the forums bashing the team and fans all day and night, but of course... these are the same people that were using the term "franchise QB" in the same sentence with Jay Cutler.

Bump away, man... won't change my opinion.

Oh, and I do think Josh McDaniels will eventually be a winning coach in this league.

He's 10-14 right now.

Mangini is 23-34, and suddenly everyone around here wants to suck his ####.

Here's a thought... maybe it's a bit too early to close make definitive statements about our coach just yet? Maybe we need a wee-bit more information?

Either way, I hope he succeeds. I know it's not popular to hope he succeeds, but I'm a Broncos fan. Sue me.

If he doesn't, bring in the next guy so I can root for him.

You won't find me trolling and bashing this team if McD gets kicked to the curb.

I'm a BRONCOS fan, not a McDaniels fan. He's just the current care-taker of my team, and I wish him total success.