PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, McDaniels values his time outs (rips Richard Quinn a new one during Jags game)

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 01:10 AM
<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="660" height="525" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R0Pe7f-UHYs" frameborder="0"></iframe>

baja
09-13-2010, 01:15 AM
embarrassing

that's not coaching thats giving into your emotions

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 01:19 AM
embarrassing

Tomlin does the same ****.

Hailey too.

Sean Payton gets pretty livid at times too, his face expression just never really changes.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:20 AM
I believe it's counter productive.

It serves to take both player and coach out of the game if only briefly for the coach. It could take the player off his game for the rest of the day though. there is a better way to handle it. IMO

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 01:23 AM

It serves to take both player and coach out of the game if only briefly for the coach. It could take the player off his game for the rest of the day though. there is a better way to handle it. IMO

You should tell that to the people serving this country.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:23 AM
?

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 01:25 AM
?

Military?

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Jimmy Johnson? Hello? Different styles work for different coaches...no big deal. Besides, Richard Quinn probably needed a new one anyway.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Are you talking about a drill sergeant yelling at a recruit? it is his job to break the individual down, not really the same thing.

LongDongJohnson
id be pissed too. Quinn made us waste a timeout.

How valubale would that extra timeout had been on our last drive where Orton had the interception.

The MVPlaya
Jimmy Johnson? Hello? Different styles work for different coaches...no big deal. Besides, Richard Quinn probably needed a new one anyway.

That's what I ultimately believe. As a player you better be willing to adapt in the NFL. You're getting paid millions to entertain and do what you love, if you can't play at a high level while being ripped at, not sure how you even got to the NFL level.

Apparently Brandon Marshall's coach form CF was worse than McDaniels too.

I mean, not everyone can have coaches like Shanahan.

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Are you talking about a drill sergeant yelling at a recruit? it is his job to break the individual down, not really the same thing.

This is not just yelling at a recruit, this happens all over the place. You'll be put in your place when you **** up. I have a couple friends who go to West Point.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:30 AM

clearly some people respond to that but not all and during the game is bad timing and counter productive. Save it for the film room.

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 01:31 AM

How valubale would that extra timeout had been on our last drive where Orton had the interception.

That time out was valuable. Down 3 in the 4th when the game is looking like a last possession type game... really mental errors is not acceptable, especially not knowing where to line up.

I don't remember McBean getting ripped after his face masks... (might of not shown it though).

baja
09-13-2010, 01:31 AM
This is not just yelling at a recruit, this happens all over the place. You'll be put in your place when you **** up. I have a couple friends who go to West Point.

it is for the same reason, to break down the ego so as to take orders without question

baja
09-13-2010, 01:33 AM

Pissed off yes, giving into your emotions at that moment I believe does not serve but detracts. Playing scared does not make you play better normally.

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 01:35 AM
it is for the same reason, to break down the ego so as to take orders without question

It's not about orders, it's about ****ing up and making mistakes.

Anyways, Quinn ****ed up big time, really those type of errors kill the team. That's 1 player costing the whole team a time out because he didn't know where to line up.

Think about it.

And let me add, McDaniels comes from a coaching tree that believes in military style philosophy.

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Pissed off yes, giving into your emotions at that moment I believe does not serve but detracts. Playing scared does not make you play better normally.

If you're playing scared after getting yelled at in the NFL... I'm really not sure how one would make it to that level.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:37 AM
It's not about orders, it's about ****ing up and making mistakes.

<b>Anyways, Quinn ****ed up big time, really those type of errors kill the team. That's 1 player costing the whole team a time out because he didn't know where to line up.</b>

Think about it.

And let me add, McDaniels comes from a coaching tree that believes in military style philosophy.

Clearly, we just disagree on the best way to handle it.

LongDongJohnson
09-13-2010, 01:39 AM
thats just how he coaches. mcdaniels coaches with emotion and fire.

1 of the biggest things mcdaniels preaches is smart football. little dumb mistakes in football add up and cost you games.

maybe he was a tad too mean, but still. i dont think anything he did was wrong or abnormal.

obviously the thing that ticks mcdaniels off the most is dumb mistakes. remember the giants game last year? how can anyone forget that.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:41 AM
thats just how he coaches. mcdaniels coaches with emotion and fire.

1 of the biggest things mcdaniels preaches is smart football. little dumb mistakes in football add up and cost you games.

maybe he was a tad too mean, but still. i dont think anything he did was wrong or abnormal.

obviously the thing that ticks mcdaniels off the most is dumb mistakes. remember the giants game last year? how can anyone forget that.

I understand all that. I just think there is (in most cases) a better way to handle it.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Look the ultimate goal is to get the player to correct his mistakes, it is my belief the highly visible game day tongue lashing will not help the player to play better that day.

He will be intimated and it will negatively affect the rest of the game. (with most players, there those that will respond). Trick is to know which player it will work with. Maybe quinn is one of those players, I don't know but it is not the norm.

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2010, 01:53 AM
clearly some people respond to that but not all and during the game is bad timing and counter productive. Save it for the film room.
The film room? Huh? ??? The film room isn't the time when a coach has to get his point over in such a way that immediate change takes place in the heat of battle. Generations of coaches who have won titles have taken this approach, and it's matters not if "everyone" does not respond to that...a player's JOB is to DO what he is told to do by the coach. If he doesn't, he's looking for work elsewhere...and in the NFL I have no sympathy for a guy who is going to get his little feelings hurt because he ****ed up and he's getting reemed for it. Do your job and play smart football so you won't have to deal with a coaches anger...simple. Lombardi was cited by someone as a guy who never did that on TV. That's because he was hardly ever on TV for anyone to see it. Lombardi would have tore him several new ones. Much as I'm slow to warm up to McDaniels, I'd rather have his temperment than that of say, for example...Wade Phillips, which is a prime example of a guy who has no fire on the sidelines.

UberBroncoMan
09-13-2010, 01:57 AM
He's just trying to win a mother****ing game guys.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:59 AM
The film room? Huh? ??? The film room isn't the time when a coach has to get his point over in such a way that immediate change takes place in the heat of battle. Generations of coaches who have won titles have taken this approach, and it's matters not if "everyone" does not respond to that...a player's JOB is to DO what he is told to do by the coach. If he doesn't, he's looking for work elsewhere...and in the NFL I have no sympathy for a guy who is going to get his little feelings hurt because he ****ed up and he's getting reemed for it. Do your job and play smart football so you won't have to deal with a coaches anger...simple. Lombardi was cited by someone as a guy who never did that on TV. That's because he was hardly ever on TV for anyone to see it. Lombardi would have tore him several new ones. Much as I'm slow to warm up to McDaniels, I'd rather have his temperment than that of say, for example...Wade Phillips, which is a prime example of a guy who has no fire on the sidelines.

There are many ways to get your point across and getting in a players face does serve sometimes. I just think in this particular case McD over reacted and I bet as time goes by he will tone it down.

He was so pissed he took himself out of the next few plays. He let his emotions take over the situation. It's not the end of the world but there is a better way and I bet Josh figures it out.

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Look the ultimate goal is to get the player to correct his mistakes, it is my belief the highly visible game day tongue lashing will not help the player to play better that day.

He will be intimated and it will negatively affect the rest of the game. (with most players, there those that will respond). Trick is to know which player it will work with. Maybe quinn is one of those players, I don't know but it is not the norm.
I wouldn't have a player on my team who gets "intimidated" by being yelled at. If he gets intimidated by that what's he gonne feel when he lines up accross from Mario Williams? This isn't some pansy game like baseball for the faint of heart. Seriously, if a player can't handle that, he probably doesn't have the stuff you want on your team.

Now there is a difference here, and one that should be noted. There are coaches who not only yell at their players, but they're unable to communicate effectively with them any other time either. R66v6s was the poster child for this...so much so that Louie Wright and a couple other guys had to go talk to him to get him to change how he was dealing with the players because he was losing the team. I don't get the sense that this team thinks McDaniels is like that, to the contrary in fact. He needs to do whatever works for him, and apparently he's a screamer...so be it. Some of these guys need yelling at now and then.

baja
09-13-2010, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't have a player on my team who gets "intimidated" by being yelled at. If he gets intimidated by that what's he gonne feel when he lines up accross from Mario Williams?

<b> One does not guarantee the other</b>

This isn't some pansy game like baseball for the faint of heart. Seriously, if a player can't handle that, he probably doesn't have the stuff you want on your team.

Now there is a difference here, and one that should be noted. There are coaches who not only yell at their players, but they're unable to communicate effectively with them any other time either. R66v6s was the poster child for this...so much so that Louie Wright and a couple other guys had to go talk to him to get him to change how he was dealing with the players because he was losing the team. I don't get the sense that this team thinks McDaniels is like that, to the contrary in fact. He needs to do whatever works for him, and apparently he's a screamer...so be it. <b>Some</b> of these guys need yelling at now and then.

If you had read my posts you would know I said the same

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2010, 02:10 AM
If you had read my posts you would know I said the same
What makes you think I want to read your posts? ;D

baja
09-13-2010, 02:11 AM
What makes you think I want to read your posts? ;D

Unlike yours they are short. ;D

Mogulseeker
09-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Lip reading McD - "You.... no you.... Richard Quinn... com'ere. What the **** are you doing?"

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Unlike yours they are short. ;D
Recently...so are mine for the most part. :sunshine:

broncocalijohn
09-13-2010, 02:17 AM
That time out was valuable. Down 3 in the 4th when the game is looking like a last possession type game... really mental errors is not acceptable, especially not knowing where to line up.

I don't remember McBean getting ripped after his face masks... (might of not shown it though).

They showed him mouthing , "**** ME!" when the 2nd penalty for face masking hit him.

baja
09-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Recently...so are mine for the most part. :sunshine:

You have gotten much better with that.

I think I can finally sleep now. Good night all....

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 02:19 AM
They showed him mouthing , "**** ME!" when the 2nd penalty for face masking hit him.

Was that the point where McDaniels face got red as a volcano? I remember that happening some time after this Quinn ****.

Between this incident and the one with the Giants game last year, both were due to mental mistakes (false starts, not knowing where to line up)

footstepsfrom#27
09-13-2010, 02:22 AM
I'd hate to be Richard Quinn in practice on Tuesday.

gyldenlove
09-13-2010, 04:48 AM
In this situation, dealing with a person of obviously inferior intellect, I as a teacher find it helpful to use a wide array of tools to get my point across in a clear and succinct manner. In this situation I can warmly recommend a police baton to the back of the head, it will help Quinn realize the error of his ways and motivate him to not repeat this entirely preventable and unnecesary ****up.

go_broncos
09-13-2010, 05:05 AM
I don't care if he yells or smiles at Quinn.
It's pathetic the way the team played against Jags.
Mental mistakes and the coach should be at fault.
We won 2 out of 11 games.
Every team knows Mcd's style.He talks big(Power running football, smart, no mental mistakes). On Sunday, they commit all sort of mistakes.
Very frustrated to see the team loss to average team like Jags.

Ray Finkle
09-13-2010, 05:06 AM
embarrassing

are you serious? How do you know if Quinn had been making this mistake in practice and spoken to then? I have no problem with this. It was a time out and McDaniel's dressed him down.

TheReverend
09-13-2010, 05:38 AM
I hope he does/did the same thing to Xanders for that 2009 draft.

CEH
09-13-2010, 06:05 AM
embarrassing

I agree with your premise that it went on a little too long and he let emotion take over instead of dealing with the issue at hand. The next play

Take him out or let him play. Let the other coaches continue to scold him

HEAV
09-13-2010, 06:05 AM
Love coach McDaniels!

Quinn was F'n up and got called on it!

Funny how some forget Shanny ripping into Plummer on the sidelines...

tsiguy96
09-13-2010, 06:10 AM
i love how people are commenting on this who never played or coached football. baja, wtf are you atlking about? this is FOOTBALL, not tennis.

Garcia Bronco
Josh isn't running a feel good clinic. I noticed this yesterday, some of these guys do not have their head in the game and it forces other players to not trust in the team.

Rulon Velvet Jones
If that hurts anyone's little heart, then maybe football isn't for you.

I believe tennis was on after the game yesterday. That might be more suitable.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-13-2010, 06:11 AM
<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZGfNNvcQ1mQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0 x54abd6&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZGfNNvcQ1mQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0 x54abd6&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Broncoman13
09-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Military?

Dude serious? You're comparing Apples and Whales here. Just move along with this one. You made a mistake, own it and move along.

tsiguy96
09-13-2010, 06:17 AM
for those who dont know, this isnt a preseason game, this is crunch time now. real action. if a player doesnt know whats going on and is forcing the team to use a timeout because hes not ready, he better get a load of **** because of it. hes being held accountable for costing the team in a crucial situation. its like this in football all over america, this is a rough, violent sport and coaches know what it takes to get through to players. if you dont know this or dont understand this, then stop watching football and turn on soccer. world cup will be on in a few years.

TheReverend
09-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Love coach McDaniels!

Quinn was F'n up and got called on it!

Funny how some forget Shanny ripping into Plummer on the sidelines...

This. Quinn absolutely deserved it.

HEAV
09-13-2010, 06:32 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBfMj3ORxz8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBfMj3ORxz8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HEAV
09-13-2010, 06:39 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCe7ZbYSS_A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCe7ZbYSS_A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

HEAV
09-13-2010, 06:50 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_lIJ3Q-YzQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k_lIJ3Q-YzQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DeuceOfClub
09-13-2010, 07:00 AM
I have no prolem with it.
However, I do think the team need to improve the time it gets them to line up. I think I counted 3-called 'delay of game' and few other close ones.

BroncosSR
09-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Quinn is a professional. He ****ed up and he needed to know it. You know what, if half the players played with the passion that McD coaches with, we wouldn't have this problem. Who cares about his damn feelings?? Get off the field if a few words screamed at you will change how you play the game... For once I'm with McD on this one...

Steve Sewell
09-13-2010, 07:31 AM
<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="660" height="525" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R0Pe7f-UHYs" frameborder="0"></iframe>

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/3/tumblr_l6gllpbyn41qzzw5do1_400.jpg

gyldenlove
09-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Quinn is a professional. He ****ed up and he needed to know it. You know what, if half the players played with the passion that McD coaches with, we wouldn't have this problem. Who cares about his damn feelings?? Get off the field if a few words screamed at you will change how you play the game... For once I'm with McD on this one...

I don't know any other vocation where you can be so unsuccesful and still make a million dollars for 5 months of work.

go_broncos
09-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Quinn is a bust..Another blunder from Mcdummy.

Hogan11
09-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Oh the passion....the FIRE.....Ha!

hookemhess
09-13-2010, 08:05 AM
OMG, please don't tell me we have people (who probably never played a down of real football) whining about a little yelling/cussing. These are grown men playing a grown man's game--if they can't take the heat, they shouldn't be in the kitchen.

Atwater4life
09-13-2010, 08:09 AM
McCrybaby is such a bitch.

underrated29
09-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Every team knows Mcd's style.He talks big(Power running football, smart, no mental mistakes). On Sunday, they commit all sort of mistakes.

Yeah, we also won 6 out of 6 games too.

What's your point!?

as for him yelling at quinn. I like it. I liked it during the game, i laughed a lilttle and then was thinking, i like this coach. I like how he brings it. He wants to win.

To me screw all the politically correct ****. You want to win, then you better effing act like it. And that starts with the coaching staff and on down. You are not a coach to look good or to make friends, or anything else. You are a coach to win football games! Mcd is taking this the right way.

bronco militia
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
If that hurts anyone's little heart, then maybe football isn't for you.

I believe tennis was on after the game yesterday. That might be more suitable.

http://blog.tennis-open.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/john-mcenroe-2.jpg
"**** YOU!"

Ha!

Ray Finkle
09-13-2010, 09:24 AM
OMG, please don't tell me we have people (who probably never played a down of real football) whining about a little yelling/cussing. These are grown men playing a grown man's game--if they can't take the heat, they shouldn't be in the kitchen.

different sport but I can remember in college scoring the game winning goal and with a minute left. The coach called a time out and and yelled at me for the entire time out since I deviated from what he called. To this day I have never been called so many different versions of dumb mother F*cker in a thirty second span.....

you mess up in sports, it happens. Deal with it.

McDaniel's didn't call the time out to yell at Quinn, he was able to yell at Quinn because Orton CALLED the time out....end of story.

baja
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
i love how people are commenting on this who never played or coached football. baja, wtf are you atlking about? this is FOOTBALL, not tennis.

Football or goat roping it's still human psychology. At that moment Josh McDaniels was not in control, he had let his emotions take over. Players may fear it but they don't respect it. There is a difference to dressing someone down in a calculated manner and just indulging your anger and going off. No one respects the latter.

Let's take the master manipulator Bill Parcells as an example, he could make a player feel lower than whale shiit or he could coddle a player like a new born. Thing is he knows the make up of the person and applies the stradigy that works to get the player to do what he wants him to do but more importantly he is always in control of himself. Players recognize that and respect and sometimes fear that. Parcells is a more effective motivator than Josh is at this point.

I think Josh McDaniels is going to become a great coach but he has some things to learn and this is one of them. It's not the end of the world but there is room for improvement here. JMO.

Steve Sewell
09-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Quinn is a bust..Another blunder from Mcdummy.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/16/3502x07.jpg

KevinJames
09-13-2010, 09:40 AM
nothing wrong with what McDaniels did.

some of you over react, not everyone coaches like Tony Dungy and thank goodness.

McDaniels is a COACH thats what COACHES do. Watch the documentary of last year's super bowl Champions and than the year before that, watch Payton and Tomlin do similar things.

Durango
09-13-2010, 09:41 AM
It's not embarrassing at all. I'm glad he rips into people when they screw things up. It's probably the only thing I like more about McDaniels over Shanahan.

baja
09-13-2010, 09:48 AM

You (and not surprisingly others) miss the point entirely, this point I am making has nothing to do with the feelings of the player or the cursing. I am talking about phycology 101 as versus going off in a vein popping Tasmanian Devil out of control manner. When you lose control of yourself you lose control of the situation something you never want to do especially on the field during a game. Like I said before it is just my opinion but feel free to continue writing posts designed to show how big your man balls are, it's impressive. ;D

Tombstone RJ
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
You (and not surprisingly others) miss the point entirely, this point I am making has nothing to do with the feelings of the player or the cursing. I am talking about phycology 101 as versus going off in a vein popping Tasmanian Devil out of control manner. When you lose control of yourself you lose control of the situation something you never want to do especially on the field during a game. Like I said before it is just my opinion but feel free to continue writing posts designed to show how big your man balls are, it's impressive. ;D

It's completely situational. McD getting in the face of a player that is costing the team a time out in a close game is completely ligit and understandable. Quinn is one of his hand picked draftees and I seriously doubt he's gonna cut this kid any slack.

baja
09-13-2010, 10:04 AM
It's completely situational. McD getting in the face of a player that is costing the team a time out in a close game is completely ligit and understandable. Quinn is one of his hand picked draftees and I seriously doubt he's gonna cut this kid any slack.

Ok fine I was just trying to make subtle point about a head coach losing control of himself and the situation... never mind....

Is it OK to yell at a player? Yes

Is it effective to yell at a player? Yes sometimes it depends on the player.

Is it OK for a HC to lose his composure on the field? I do not think it serves the highest purpose.

Can you yell at a player without losing your composure? Yes and others recognize the difference.

That's all I have on this. ;D

WABronco
09-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Who let Tony Dungy into this thread?

baja
09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Who let Tony Dungy into this thread?

LOL good one ;D

He did alright

TheProfessor
09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
All that matters is W's & L's-

If he wins then these "Moments of intense game day coaching" will be viewed as somehow contributing to his record as a winning coach. If he doesn't win and washes out in denver then these "tantrums" will be most likely be part of that narative as well.

So far he is 8-9

Mr.Meanie
09-13-2010, 11:38 AM
The difference is whether he's ripping people for things that are in their control or out of it. Fumbling because you got blasted by Ray Lewis is different than costing your team because you didn't know what the call was.

One is football, the other is just laziness or a lack of focus, and I love that McD gets visibly and vocally upset about the latter.

MaloCS
09-13-2010, 11:57 AM
I wonder what the consensus would be if a player acted in the same manner as McD; screaming, flailing, stomping around and wasting a valuable time out. I would wager next month's mortgage payment that the general consensus would be that the player needs to let it go and focus on the next play. That being the case, the coach needs to do the same thing. After all, isn't the goal winning the game?

If the player screwed up then sit his ass on the bench; hell, cut his ass on Monday.

I agree with several posters that believe McD succumbed to his emotions which more likely then not, affected his personal duties for a time after the rant. He's a young coach but his actions are clearly showing that he isn't a leader of men. A leader finds a way to get the most out of their players instead of just raking them over the coals whenever they screw up. Don't get me wrong, Quinn should be held responsible for his errors but the tantrum McD threw on the sideline was out of line for what I consider to be a leader of men.

"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

Ray Finkle
09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
I wonder what the consensus would be if a player acted in the same manner as McD; screaming, flailing, stomping around and wasting a valuable time out. I would wager next month's mortgage payment that the general consensus would be that the player needs to let it go and focus on the next play. That being the case, the coach needs to do the same thing. After all, isn't the goal winning the game?

If the player screwed up then sit his ass on the bench; hell, cut his ass on Monday.

I agree with several posters that believe McD succumbed to his emotions which more likely then not, affected his personal duties for a time after the rant. He's a young coach but his actions are clearly showing that he isn't a leader of men. A leader finds a way to get the most out of their players instead of just raking them over the coals whenever they screw up. Don't get me wrong, Quinn should be held responsible for his errors but the tantrum McD threw on the sideline was out of line for what I consider to be a leader of men.

you do realize ORTON, not McDaniel's called the time out, don't you? Quinn was pulled from the game at that point.....

Coach Knight, Parcel's, La Russa, Guillen, Keenan, Bowman don't agree.....

baja
09-13-2010, 12:03 PM
you do realize ORTON, not McDaniel's called the time out, don't you? Quinn was pulled from the game at that point.....

Bobby Knight is an idiot IMO.

Ray Finkle
09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Bobby Knight is an idiot IMO.

I agree 100% but he gets results....

TotallyScrewed
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Exactly!

And the military? Are we really going to compare a game to war? Put the controller down.

outdoor_miner
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
All that matters is W's & L's-

If he wins then these "Moments of intense game day coaching" will be viewed as somehow contributing to his record as a winning coach. If he doesn't win and washes out in denver then these "tantrums" will be most likely be part of that narative as well.

So far he is 8-9

I agree with this. Ultimately, I don't care if he yells at people. In fact, it's pretty funny. But it better be in service of winning football games.

I'm getting a little tired of the "smart, tough, and physical" football team not living up to the smart part (which, quite frankly, should be the easiest part of the equation). You are hand-picking "smart" players from the draft and free agency, and they continue to make dumb mistakes on a weekly basis. It's getting old.

MaloCS
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM

My bad... didn't realize that.

Regardless, it doesn't change my opinion. McD needed to focus on the task at hand and leave the "pep" talk to his assistants. Then, on Monday, he can decide to give the player another chance, place the player in the doghouse or cut his ass outright.

A leader of men doesn't react that way. It's counter productive and ultimately results in more negatives then positives.

As fans, we scream and yell at the television when a player screws ups. We're so emotionally caught up in the game that we want the player's head on a stake. Additionally, it serves our blood lust when a coach lashes out at a player because we have no avenue to do it for ourselves.

What we fail to realize is that a coach has to think about the bigger picture which is managing the rest of the game. As fans, we can spend the unnecessary time to scream and throw foam bricks at the television but a coach can't. If he reacts the same way we do he has lost his composure and his performance will suffer.

We berate players that don't act like adults and shake off their mistakes. We berate players that succumb to their emotions which may or may not affect the outcome of the game. We berate players that throw temper tantrums on the sidelines. Why don't we demand the same composure from the coach as we do the players?

Tombstone RJ
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Regardless, it doesn't change my opinion. McD needed to focus on the task at hand and leave the "pep" talk to his assistants. Then, on Monday, he can decide to give the player another chance, place the player in the doghouse or cut his ass outright.

A leader of men doesn't react that way. It's counter productive and ultimately results in more negatives then positives.

As fans, we scream and yell at the television when a player screws ups. We're so emotionally caught up in the game that we want the player's head on a stake. Additionally, it serves our blood lust when a coach lashes out at a player because we have no avenue to do it for ourselves.

What we fail to realize is that a coach has to think about the bigger picture which is managing the rest of the game. As fans, we can spend the unnecessary time to scream and throw foam bricks at the television but a coach can't. If he reacts the same way we do he has lost his composure and his performance will suffer.

We berate players that don't act like adults and shake off their mistakes. We berate players that succumb to their emotions which may or may not affect the outcome of the game. We berate players that throw temper tantrums on the sidelines. Why don't we demand the same composure from the coach as we do the players?

I take you never played the game...

TotallyScrewed
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
different sport but I can remember in college scoring the game winning goal and with a minute left. The coach called a time out and and yelled at me for the entire time out since I deviated from what he called. To this day I have never been called so many different versions of dumb mother ****er in a thirty second span.....

you mess up in sports, it happens. Deal with it.

McDaniel's didn't call the time out to yell at Quinn, he was able to yell at Quinn because Orton CALLED the time out....end of story.

Orton called a timeout to avoid a motion penalty or a delay of game. Timeouts can be very important. Quinn deserves to get an ear full just not at that time. I seriously doubt McD was thinking about the play or the next move during his rant. Passion is cool. Out of control is not.

Point to the bench and move on.

As an aside not having the proper guys/proper number of guys on the field is a likely a coaching error and possibly just as costly as a lost timeout.

Ray Finkle
09-13-2010, 12:20 PM

I disagree.....As a coach (different sports/same concepts), I set certain things up for each coach. If a time out is called, they address the group and I can pull out a player if need be. As a head coach, YOU CANNOT do everything. If I practiced a look all week and you aren't paying attention and cost the team a time out during the game, I am going to address it then.

Let's review:

1. The time out is called because Quinn didn't line up tonight and the they were about to get a delay of game.
2. Orton went to the sidelines and spoke with the OC.
3. McDaniel's called Quinn to the sideline (while Orton and the OC were talking).

No plays were changed, they ran the same formation/play but without Quinn.

This really blown out of proportion by folks that have a disdain for McDaniel's....

Ray Finkle
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Orton called a timeout to avoid a motion penalty or a delay of game. Timeouts can be very important. Quinn deserves to get an ear full just not at that time. I seriously doubt McD was thinking about the play or the next move during his rant. Passion is cool. Out of control is not.

Point to the bench and move on.

As an aside not having the proper guys/proper number of guys on the field is a likely a coaching error and possibly just as costly as a lost timeout.

see post 83...

you delegate to each coach. It is impossible to control every aspect. For example, in Lacrosse, my defensive coordinator watches our defense while the ball is on offense, he sets the formations/calls out looks. I am too busy focusing on what the other team's defense is trying to do to focus on that.

So, it may be the Wink's assistant that dropped the ball to remember to run the box (making sure 11 on out there at a time)....

baja
09-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Rather he did or didn't he makes a valid point.

Do you have to fall in a pail of shiit to know it stinks?

TailgateNut
09-13-2010, 12:24 PM

Good grief, STFU already. Your whining is stale! o jump on a winning bandwagon!

MaloCS

ROFL!

I played the game for 15 years. I even played Division II football for a season before I decided to focus on baseball.

ROFL!

The best coach I ever had was my high school baseball coach. I could tell just by the way he looked at me that I was in the doghouse. I also knew right off the bat that the error I just committed was going to cost me a few laps around the diamond at our next practice. He didn't yell, he didn't rant, he didn't rave. He just looked at me.

extralife
this was the best part of the game for me

Tombstone RJ
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Rather he did or didn't he makes a valid point.

Do you have to fall in a pail of shiit to know it stinks?

So, are you telling me this because you have shiit all over your face?

ZachKC
09-13-2010, 12:25 PM

Taking a wild guess here...

You never played organized football.

ZachKC
09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Taking a wild guess here...

You never played organized football.

I see someone else saw the same thing I did.

Tombstone RJ
09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
ROFL!

I played the game for 15 years. I even played Division II football for a season before I decided to focus on baseball.

ROFL!

But you were perfect player and never got yelled at. I get it, my bad...

HILife
09-13-2010, 12:27 PM
"Quinn, what the **** are you doing?"

"We're just trying to win a Muther ****ing game!!"

per Josh.

MaloCS
09-13-2010, 12:31 PM
But you were perfect player and never got yelled at. I get it, my bad...

Not at all. I got plenty of "passionate" pep talks by my position coach. The head coach on the other hand waited until Monday to chew my ass out. Hell, I was even benched for a few games because I dropped a punt return which the other team promptly recovered.

My point is that as players, we are expected to act like adults and focus on the task at hand. The same expectations, in my opinion, should be placed upon the head coach as well. The HC has to deal with bigger issues then if I fumbled a punt return. Despite how pissed off he was he had to focus on how to manage the defense in a short yardage situation. It doesn't serve the team well if he gets so upset that he loses focus on that aspect of the game.

TailgateNut
09-13-2010, 12:32 PM

You can't be serious?!

****ing dumbass needed to be flogged and McBean should have been tazered. ****ing dumbass MFers.

When they're on the field they can't call the damn geek squad to remind them of what their assignment is.

baja
09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
ROFL!

ROFL!

The best coach I ever had was my high school baseball coach. I could tell just by the way he looked at me that I was in the doghouse. I also knew right off the bat that the error I just committed was going to cost me a few laps around the diamond at our next practice. He didn't yell, he didn't rant, he didn't rave. He just looked at me.

I learned that some of the posters here are unable to appreciate ypur insight here.

Football = knuckle dragers = only understand screaming in face

Got it now?

Popps
09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
embarrassing

Dude, c'mon... that's coaching.

Some guys are more emotional than others... and I won't bore you with a list. But plenty of great (and bad) coaches have exploded on the sidelines during the history of the game.

That was nothing. ****, my high school coach gave it to us worse.

MaloCS
09-13-2010, 12:34 PM
You can't be serious?!

****ing dumbass needed to be flogged and McBean should have been tazered. ****ing dumbass MFers.

When they're on the field they can't call the damn geek squad to remind them of what their assignment is.

ROFL! You just proved my point about "blood lust". PM me your address; I have a foam brick I'll send you.

ZachKC
09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
At the end of the day you don't know what you don't know. I don't come down that hard on guys who spout off about this stuff but have not played. Everyone has their own opinion.

It is just so easy to point out when you are getting the perspective of someone who has never lined up across from someone. It is what it is...

baja
09-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Dude, c'mon... that's coaching.

Some guys are more emotional than others... and I won't bore you with a list. But plenty of great (and bad) coaches have exploded on the sidelines during the history of the game.

That was nothing. ****, my high school coach gave it to us worse.

No Popps that's losing control of your emotions and taking yourself out of the games for a play or two at least that is what it looked like to me watching the game and again watching the clip in this thread.

Chewing out Quinn fine - taking it to an emotional tirade and going back for more not productive.

Tombstone RJ
09-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Not at all. I got plenty of "passionate" pep talks by my position coach. The head coach on the other hand waited until Monday to chew my ass out. Hell, I was even benched for a few games because I dropped a punt return which the other team promptly recovered.

My point is that as players, we are expected to act like adults and focus on the task at hand. The same expectations, in my opinion, should be placed upon the head coach as well. The HC has to deal with bigger issues then if I fumbled a punt return. Despite how pissed off he was he had to focus on how to manage the defense in a short yardage situation. It doesn't serve the team well if he gets so upset that he loses focus on that aspect of the game.

I like the passion McD displays, winning is important to him. Regardless, the team had all week to prepare for this game and mistakes like this should not happen and I think this is why McD gave Quinn an earful on the sidelines. Quinn was talking to another coach on the sideline who was probably explaining to Quinn how he screwed up.

The positional coaches should be there to communicate and get the players to execute correctly, that is there job. It's not McD's job to micromanage every position, he doesn't have the time. Personally, I like it that McD yells at a player for fuggin up and then that player goes to the position coach to talk about it. I'd rather it be that way then have McD just blow it off and then have the positional coach explain what's wrong. That does not make sense.

McD is trying to lead this team and he's passionate about it. So what if he get's mad on the sideline, he expects way more from his players and when they make mental midget mistakes, he gets angry.

gyldenlove
09-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I like the passion McD displays, winning is important to him. Regardless, the team had all week to prepare for this game and mistakes like this should not happen and I think this is why McD gave Quinn an earful on the sidelines. Quinn was talking to another coach on the sideline who was probably explaining to Quinn how he screwed up.

The positional coaches should be there to communicate and get the players to execute correctly, that is there job. It's not McD's job to micromanage every position, he doesn't have the time. Personally, I like it that McD yells at a player for fuggin up and then that player goes to the position coach to talk about it. I'd rather it be that way then have McD just blow it off and then have the positional coach explain what's wrong. That does not make sense.

McD is trying to lead this team and he's passionate about it. So what if he get's mad on the sideline, he expects way more from his players and when they make mental midget mistakes, he gets angry.

The team had 9 months to prepare for this game, Quinn is as it is not a guy who can be too sure he will find himself employed much longer and this kind of ****up is entirely inexcusable.

Mcdaniels has to step up in that situation and make it very clear to him that he better shape the hell up when he is out there on the field. I fully agree with the dressing down and I think it is one of the things Mcdaniels has done well, he is not molly coddling players, they are being paid a lot of money to be out there winning games, so when they don't perform he lets them know about it in no uncertain terms.

Popps
09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
No Popps that's losing control of your emotions and taking yourself out of the games for a play or two at least that is what it looked like to me watching the game and again watching the clip in this thread.

Chewing out Quinn fine - taking it to an emotional tirade and going back for more not productive.

What psychological background do you have to make such statements? Can you quote studies, literature? Have there been blind studies?

I love you man, but a coach bitching at a player is just not a big deal.

Some people operate differently than others. Perhaps McD gets fired up, gets it out of his system and functions better after doing so. You have no proof to the contrary.

So, you're welcome to your opinion... it's all good. But, you can't present opinions as facts ("it's not productive") without proof to back it up.

Popps
09-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I like the passion McD displays.

I do, too.

After the nonsense we've seen in Denver for most of the past decade, I'm fine with players getting their asses chewed out when they **** up so badly it costs us a time out.

baja
09-13-2010, 01:55 PM
What psychological background do you have to make such statements? Can you quote studies, literature? Have there been blind studies?

I love you man, but a coach b****ing at a player is just not a big deal.

Some people operate differently than others. Perhaps McD gets fired up, gets it out of his system and functions better after doing so. You have no proof to the contrary.

So, you're welcome to your opinion... it's all good. But, you can't present opinions as facts ("it's not productive") without proof to back it up.

If you were to read all the thread you would see several of my posts ending with JMO which as you know stands for;

Just MY Opinion.

Popps
09-13-2010, 01:56 PM
If you were to read all the thread you would see several of my posts ending with JMO which as you know stands for;

Just MY Opinion.

That's cool, it's just that in your response to me... you presented it as factual information. ("It's not productive.")

You just don't care for it, and that's obviously your opinion... and all good.

Popps
09-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Just MY Opinion.

Oh, and I never "read the whole thread".... are you kidding me?

:)

baja
09-13-2010, 02:02 PM
That's cool, it's just that in your response to me... you presented it as factual information. ("It's not productive.")

You just don't care for it, and that's obviously your opinion... and all good.

Actually on one level I get a good feeling when he chews out a player that fuged up but I do believe the way it went down was not productive. I have posted many times why I believe that so I won't repeat myself yet again.

If you are interested to know the reason I (and others) believe it was not productive you would have to read the thread.

LRtagger
09-13-2010, 02:02 PM
One thing is for sure...I bet Quinn doesn't ever **** that formation up again.

baja
09-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Oh, and I never "read the whole thread".... are you kidding me?

LOl I know that's what happens when two or three people can't sleep.

tsiguy96
09-13-2010, 02:24 PM
even the chiefs fan agrees that theres nothing wrong with mcdaniels on this, and he rips on mcdaniels any chance he can get.

Br0nc0Buster
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
from comments made by guys like Champ and Dawkins, the players seem to like him
so I dont think he is a huge dick, just is passionate and a perfectionist

The MVPlaya
09-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Exactly!

And the military? Are we really going to compare a game to war? Put the controller down.

No one is comparing this game to war. I'm not sure why people get fumed just because I brought up military, yet you're missing the whole context of what's being siad.

baja said that yelling negatively effects a person during a certain situation. All I said was, in the military, you get the same type of scolding in all situations ---> so if it negatively effects a person why do they do it in the military, A BIGGER/MORE serious situation than the NFL?

No one is comparing the game of football to the military, all we're talking about is yelling at a player/person.

hookemhess
09-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Exactly!

"In football, the object is for the quarterback, otherwise known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his recievers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use the shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line." -George Carlin

gunns
09-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Tomlin does the same ****.

Hailey too.

Sean Payton gets pretty livid at times too, his face expression just never really changes.

Doesn't make it right. Save it for the locker room. You can even give it to him on the sidelines without expressing that much fury. You don't walk out on the field and make it obvious. Understandably mad McD, but all that anger isn't just Quinn. Overall I love McD's emotion but that was uncalled for.

baja
09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
"In football, the object is for the quarterback, otherwise known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his recievers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use the shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line." -George Carlin

My all time favorite comic - sure miss him.

gunns
09-13-2010, 03:04 PM
even the chiefs fan agrees that theres nothing wrong with mcdaniels on this, and he rips on mcdaniels any chance he can get.

Well then I guess that's the stamp of approval and it's all ok. :confuzzle:

theAPAOps5
09-13-2010, 03:07 PM
All we are trying to do is save a mf time out

WolfpackGuy
09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I didn't have a problem with it.

Maybe Quinn will do everyone a favor and quit.

serious hops
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Loved it. Attention to detail is crucial, and if Quinn didn't understand that before, he sure as hell does now.

TailgateNut
09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
ROFL! You just proved my point about "blood lust". PM me your address; I have a foam brick I'll send you.

**** a foam brick, it wont get the message across. A big chunk of granite will send a clear message.

Are you the same Malo from CyberHigh from a decade+ ago?

Ray Finkle
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Doesn't make it right. Save it for the locker room. You can even give it to him on the sidelines without expressing that much fury. You don't walk out on the field and make it obvious. Understandably mad McD, but all that anger isn't just Quinn. Overall I love McD's emotion but that was uncalled for.

I am sorry but it is a pussy coach that does that. You address things as they happen. Now if that was a vet or a private matter, you do so behind closed doors.

MaloCS
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM
**** a foam brick, it wont get the message across. A big chunk of granite will send a clear message.

Are you the same Malo from CyberHigh from a decade+ ago?

Cyber High? I'm not following you.

If that's a real school then no. My high school playing days were WAY back in the 80s.

gunns
09-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I have no problem with a coach addressing things, even on the sideline. But a coach does not need to walk on the field, with his face looking like a strawberry and his head is about to blow off. As I said, Quinn got the brunt of anger that wasn't all about him.

broncocalijohn
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
To any of you crying about McDaniels yelling at Quinn, were you bitching about McDaniels yelling at the whole team with the "I am just trying to win a mother****ing game!" speech? Cant have it both ways. THis is pro football where these guys are getting millions of dollars to perform at their highest level. Quinn had a bonehead play and deserved the chew out. He is a big boy and can take it or he will be gonzo at the first chance.

NYBronco
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
I like McD's emotion it was well deserved with the unfocused performance of several players yesterday.

Los Broncos
09-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Quinn needed to be cussed out, McDaniels preaches the little things and clearly Quinn needs to learn those things.

TotallyScrewed
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
No one is comparing this game to war. I'm not sure why people get fumed just because I brought up military, yet you're missing the whole context of what's being siad.

baja said that yelling negatively effects a person during a certain situation. All I said was, in the military, you get the same type of scolding in all situations ---> so if it negatively effects a person why do they do it in the military, A BIGGER/MORE serious situation than the NFL?

No one is comparing the game of football to the military, all we're talking about is yelling at a player/person.

We follow orders or people die...it's just that simple. Are we clear? ARE WE CLEAR?!?!

TailgateNut
09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Cyber High? I'm not following you.

If that's a real school then no. My high school playing days were WAY back in the 80s.

No Cyber high was a Bronco MB GBDU and I used to frequent about 10 years ago and there was a member with the same name.

ro_50
09-13-2010, 08:18 PM
What exactly has R. Quinn done on the field? Hardly nothing.

SoCalBronco
09-13-2010, 08:20 PM

No, its perfectly appropriate. I have no problem whatsoever with Josh on this point. The guy has to know his assignment. IMO, fear is a great motivator. If a guy knows he'll get publicly called out in a game in front of everyone, he will focus on his assignments more.

Plus, Richard Quinn hasn't done anything of value to warrant giving him a break, or letting it slide, or handling it internally. He's a (highly drafted) scrub. He should be happy he wasn't drafted in the 7th round and is still on this team.

Hulamau
09-13-2010, 08:24 PM

McD said afterward that the whole issue was over the Screwed up head set communciation in teh seond half. That is when the issue first become a problem and Quinn didnt know what was going on when the time out was called.

Josh said he wasnt reaming Quinn in specific jsut unloading on the headset breakdown.... No big deal.

He got more upset and taken out of the game for a few minutes when McBean had his double mind farts to cost us the game..

baja
09-13-2010, 08:26 PM
No, its perfectly appropriate. I have no problem whatsoever with Josh on this point. The guy has to know his assignment. IMO, fear is a great motivator. If a guy knows he'll get publicly called out in a game in front of everyone, he will focus on his assignments more.

Plus, Richard Quinn hasn't done anything of value to warrant giving him a break, or letting it slide, or handling it internally. He's a (highly drafted) scrub. He should be happy he wasn't drafted in the 7th round and is still on this team.

For the last time it is not all about Quinn it's also about Josh letting his anger and emotion take him out of the game. He was so irate it took at least the next play and maybe more for him to get his emotions in check and get back to being the head coach after he calls the game. Geez I thought that at least you would get my not so difficult to grasp point.

SoCalBronco
09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
For the last time it is not all about Quinn it's also about Josh letting his anger and emotion take him out of the game. He was so irate it took at least the next play and maybe more for him to get his emotions in check and get back to being the head coach after he calls the game. Geez I thought that at least you would get my not so difficult to grasp point.

How would him being upset with some guy's **** up affect his playcalls? Why is it important? Is he not going to call something they have designed for a certain down and distance just because he's pissed off? That doesn't make any sense.

baja
09-13-2010, 08:40 PM
How would him being upset with some guy's **** up affect his playcalls? Why is it important? Is he not going to call something they have designed for a certain down and distance just because he's pissed off? That doesn't make any sense.

watch the clip again

Popps
09-13-2010, 09:04 PM
watch the clip again

I just did, and I don't see any indication that it forced him to call a different play than he had planned. If he did, Orton would have had the option to audible out of it.

Looks to me like a coach got mad at a player for having his head up his ass... costing the team a time out and not knowing his assignment.

The other 10 guys out there on the field work their asses off and shouldn't have to have their odds of winning reduced by a dude who can't figure out where to line up.

The coach should be pissed... the player should be chewed out, and there's no proof that this affected anything other than Quinn's ego. Certainly, there's no proof that the playcalling was compromised because McDaniels yelled at someone.

You're usually on target, man... but I just can't figure out your stance on this one.

Hulamau
09-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I do think that the combination of the headset/Quinn substituion issue follwwed by the Major FUBAR from 'Mr McBean Brain' did push Joshs water to byond boiling .. understandably.. I also think he may have gottne taken out of the game for a few minutes and maybe a play or two during the flair up after McBean screwed the pooch. Dont think that cost us the game or anything close to that, but it is a point he will likely better control .. or try too... going forward..

Just like he said he learned last year not to trash talk with other teams players. Josh is a talented emotionally passionate coach which I love. He'll learn the finer points of expressing that emotion in fairly short oorder I suspect. Josh is smart too and learns from his mistakes and this is a minor issue at this point.

baja
09-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Well we can't agree on everything Popps.

Did tell you I got a new Mac Power Book sweet!!!!!!!!!

baja
09-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Watch Rivers lose his cool and see how it effects his game

MaloCS
09-14-2010, 07:16 AM
No Cyber high was a Bronco MB GBDU and I used to frequent about 10 years ago and there was a member with the same name.

8')

My bad... I totally didn't understand what you were referring to. I thought it was some new age high school.