View Full Version : Broncos run defense not good enough at Jacksonville

SoCalBronco
09-12-2010, 09:57 PM
broncos
Broncos' run defense not good enough at Jacksonville
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 09/12/2010 06:06:09 PM MDTUpdated: 09/12/2010 07:42:11 PM MDT

The Broncos defense catches Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew, center, behind the line Sunday at EverBank Field. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)Related
Broncos vs. Jaguars
Sep 12:
Broncos fall to Jaguars 24-17 in opener at Jacksonville
Orton not bothered by Tebow use in Broncos' opener
Broncos' receivers fine without Marshall
Plenty of Tebow faithful among Jacksonville fans
Frenette: Kampman inspires Jaguars' defense against Broncos
Weather helps Jaguars against BroncosJACKSONVILLE It is the harsh reality of the bottom line.

The Broncos' run defense was better Sunday than it was in their 2-8 collapse down the stretch to close out the 2009 season, but it was one of the things not good enough for them to win their 2010 season opener.

"Bottom line is we have to stop them, that is the bottom line for us," Broncos linebacker Robert Ayers said. "Whatever happens, wherever we are on the field, whoever is in the game, we have to stop them. We didn't stop them enough."

The Broncos spent plenty of Pat Bowlen's cash in the offseason trying to plug the holes in their defense that allowed opposing runners to grind out at least 173 yards in five of their last 10 games in '09 at least 125 yards in six games.

And while they were far stouter at the point of attack most of the time Sunday, the Broncos didn't stop the Jaguars enough as Jacksonville rushed for 134 yards in a 24-17 victory.

What went right

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has praised the potential of D.J. Williams as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme to many around the league.

And Sunday Williams showed flashes of being a key player in all the Broncos do on defense. Williams was credited with 11 tackles. Some of those came down the field a bit as he was in chase mode, but he was quick to the ball much of the day.

The Broncos varied their fronts and rotated plenty of personnel in on a brutally hot day, and for the most part controlled Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew in early-down situations.

Jones-Drew had 10 first-down carries in the game and only two of them went for more than four yards - a 6-yarder and an 8-yarder, both in the fourth quarter. That's precisely when the Broncos had both of their free-agency additions Jamal Williams and Justin Bannnan - in the game up front.

Jones-Drew's backup, Rashad Jennings had the Jaguars' only first-down run of the game that was more than eight yards, a 15-yard carry early in the third quarter when the Broncos were in their nickel package (five defensive backs).

What went wrong

The Broncos, with run-heavy offenses such as the Titans, Ravens and Jets, coming before the schedule reaches Halloween, will need an answer for offenses that spread them out a bit then run it against them.

The Jaguars had 59 of their rushing yards, including a 10-yard carry by Jones-Drew to go with Jennings' 15-yard run, against the Broncos' nickel package. The Jaguars not only won enough of the battles up front to be able to run the ball against a pass look on defense, but it enabled Jacksonville to keep a drive or two going on a day when just one drive was the difference.

"We had a lot of mistakes," is how D.J. Williams described the day. "We have a lot to fix, including myself."

Up next

The Seahawks haven't been all that committed or productive in the running game in the years that have followed Shaun Alexander's 1,880-yard rushing season in 2005. They haven't had a runner rush for 900 yards in a season since.

In the past three seasons they haven't had a running back rush for more than four touchdowns in any of those years.

This season they have the early look of a this-and-that approach in the running game with Julius Jones, Leon Washington and Justin Forsett divvying up the carries. Sunday, however, they were in to the fourth quarter against the 49ers and had run the ball only 15 times.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16058674

SoCalBronco
09-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has praised the potential of D.J. Williams as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme to many around the league.

Love ya, Josh! :thumbsup:

You're a real stud, bro.

See HEAV, we're all good man, I love Coach McDaniels. He's awesome!

;D

strafen
09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
McDaniels' smart mouth was in top season form today, was it not?! lol!

ZachKC
09-12-2010, 10:05 PM
RJD is one slippery bastard.

Cito Pelon
09-12-2010, 10:13 PM
"it was one of the things not good enough for them to win their 2010 season opener."

I agree.

Archer81
09-12-2010, 10:31 PM
This article should come with a DUH after it.

:Broncos:

Popps
09-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I think MJD had 98 yards and they threw for about 180 or so?

I think going into the game, most of us would have taken those stats.

The problem was really a few big passes, and the inability to stop the run at key times.

But, had we not turned the ball over in the redzone... it probably wouldn't have been an issue. We had the chance to take control of this game and just never did.

baja
09-12-2010, 11:39 PM

The problem was really a few big passes, and the inability to stop the run at key times.

But, had we not turned the ball over in the redzone... it probably wouldn't have been an issue. We had the chance to take control of this game and just never did.

the run D just fell apart on the first jags drive in the 3rd quarter. Didn't look it up but that is probably where MJD got half his yards

Cito Pelon
09-12-2010, 11:41 PM

ST's, Popps. I thought they would be a strength, they were not for this game.