PDA

View Full Version : Do we win if...

Popps
09-12-2010, 08:59 PM
We had Doom, Harris and a healthy Clady today?

Just curious what people think...

SoCalBronco
09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Definitely, IMO.

loborugger
09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Hell, I think we win if we just dont turn the ball over twice. Hard to win on the road -2 in the TO category. That first fumble was a real back breaker and put and end to an otherwise superb drive.

But, as for the subject of the thread, I think Clady woulda made a difference more than any of those other players.

PRBronco
09-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Oh **** yes. With a healthy Harris we would have run roughshod.

Popps
09-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I think so. In fact, I think Doom alone could have been the difference today.

JAX didn't have to account for any one pass-rusher all day long.

We're going to simply have to start taking more chances, defensively. You can't just let NFL QBs sit back there all afternoon.

baja
09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
take away the turn overs and we win going away.

WABronco
09-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't know. Didn't we lose against Oakland and the like with those guys?

We lost. We were inconsistent. Average teams frequently lose like this. Good teams lose like this. Weren't we well on our way to a similar loss in week 1 last year?

Not terribly worried, here...regardless of who we have out there.

Popps
09-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Hell, I think we win if we just dont turn the ball over twice. Hard to win on the road -2 in the TO category. That first fumble was a real back breaker and put and end to an otherwise superb drive.

But, as for the subject of the thread, I think Clady woulda made a difference more than any of those other players.

Yea, I love Buck... but that hurt bad.

****, we score there... and you're right, this game might have gone very differently.

baja
09-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I think so. In fact, I think Doom alone could have been the difference today.

JAX didn't have to account for any one pass-rusher all day long.

We're going to simply have to start taking more chances, defensively. You can't just let NFL QBs sit back there all afternoon.

We got doom like pressure from Ayers so I don't think doom would have been enough to win the but we do and will miss him.

strafen
09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
If we had Marshall as the receiver on the 4th and 3 play, maybe...

Popps
09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
We got doom like pressure from Ayers so I don't think doom would have been enough to win the but we do and will miss him.

Well, Doom AND Ayers would have been out there crashing the QB all day long.

To me, that's a big difference... worrying about the league sack leader... AND another quality rusher, or just worrying about the lesser talented of the two.

Ehh. I'm just heartbroken over having to play this season without him, after making some upgrades on the D-line. (Seemingly.)

Popps
09-12-2010, 09:10 PM

LOL

Yea, Marshall tore it up today.

LRtagger
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
The biggest thing we lose from Doom isnt necessarily the sacks, but more the opportunity to create turnovers. If we can even muster up one INT today we win. You arent going to intercept many throws when the QB has 5 seconds to find a target.

BlaK-Argentina
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Yeah but Doom + Ayers today and the Jags don't sniff 20 points.

baja
09-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, Doom AND Ayers would have been out there crashing the QB all day long.

To me, that's a big difference... worrying about the league sack leader... AND another quality rusher, or just worrying about the lesser talented of the two.

Ehh. I'm just heartbroken over having to play this season without him, after making some upgrades on the D-line. (Seemingly.)

Ya it's really too bad would have been fun to see the line with him out there after years of crap we trotted out there.

I was crushed when he went on IR I was hoping he could have come back just in time for a playoff run.

bpc
09-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Considering that Jacksonville is probably the 4th place team in the AFC South, I would hope so.

Lev Vyvanse
09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
If we convert every third down and stop them on every third down and win the turnover battle and rush for more yards.

Popps
09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Ya it's really too bad would have been fun to see the line with him out there after years of crap we trotted out there.

I was crushed when he went on IR I was hoping he could have come back just in time for a playoff run.

Yea, it's just brutal.

But, I do think Ayers progress plus Doom's return is cause for some optimism on a down day.

We definitely need ILB help, and more DL talent.

It's a work in progress, but I think it would have gone differently today with a healthy squad.

loborugger
09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Yea, I love Buck... but that hurt bad.

****, we score there... and you're right, this game might have gone very differently.

No doubt. That is how Del Rio's teams play - hard, smart, few turn overs and keep close at the end. We get points outta that drive, maybe a FG outta that first possession and that game ends differently. We put the onus on them, make them throw more, and things work out better, IMHO. Just bad luck associated with a first game of the season.

So, overall, I think we win with the players on the field. Those players - Clady & Doom - are definite contributors and our most likely Pro Bowl candidates, but we can win that game without them.

The Joker
09-12-2010, 09:18 PM
You would have to hope so.

Clady and Harris need to get 100% again, and soon. Our interior line is going to be a work in progress all season, if we have our excellent tackle tandem at 100% then I think we can have a decent line but the drop off at the OT spot after those two is immense, without them the interior issues will just be compounded.

The defense has me depressed though. We need to blitz more than we did today.

A lot more.

BlaK-Argentina
09-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Any words on when Harris will be back?

baja
09-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Yea, it's just brutal.

But, I do think Ayers progress plus Doom's return is cause for some optimism on a down day.

We definitely need ILB help, and more DL talent.

It's a work in progress, but I think it would have gone differently today with a healthy squad.

I am encouraged with what I saw today.

If anyone wants to feel better just think back to the last three games in 08 and compare what you saw on the field then to what you saw today. All but rev should be very hopeful. and so will he when he sobers up. ;D

LongDongJohnson
09-13-2010, 01:44 AM
id say yeah.

we gave up a lot of pressure that a healthy harris and clady normally dont give up.

UberBroncoMan
09-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Unequivocally yes. I have no doubt of that in my mind. Kamp raped Beadles, and we had no real pressure other than Ayers.

Blueflame
09-13-2010, 02:22 AM
To me, the biggest factor today was on special teams (field position). It's much easier for the defense to stop their offense if they aren't starting each drive near midfield. If we continue to lose the field position battle (giving our opponents a short field while starting inside the 20 ourselves) then I suspect we'll wind up giving up more points (and maybe losing more games) than if we made 'em start at or inside the 20.

Mogulseeker
09-13-2010, 02:39 AM
To me, the biggest factor today was on special teams (field position). It's much easier for the defense to stop their offense if they aren't starting each drive near midfield. If we continue to lose the field position battle (giving our opponents a short field while starting inside the 20 ourselves) then I suspect we'll wind up giving up more points (and maybe losing more games) than if we made 'em start at or inside the 20.

I agree.

Are our special teams woes a product of lack of depth, or scheming?

It seems to me that we have a solid special teams unit with Prater, Colquit, Mays, Woodyard and Bruton.

Blueflame
09-13-2010, 02:55 AM
I agree.

Are our special teams woes a product of lack of depth, or scheming?

It seems to me that we have a solid special teams unit with Prater, Colquit, Mays, Woodyard and Bruton.

I'm not sure if it's a lack of cohesion or or due to injury or precisely what. I just know it was frustrating watching 3 and 4 guys whiff and let them get 25 or 30 more yards than they should have.

SoDak Bronco
09-13-2010, 04:49 AM
If and & buts were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?

colonelbeef
09-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Maybe, but the playcalling and sloppy play had as much to do with this loss as anything else

Traveler
09-13-2010, 05:18 AM
The sack that Clady gave up to the rookie was hard to watch. Very evident that Ryan is nowhere close to 100%, but he gets props for trying to help the team by playing.

IMO, the reasons we lost yesterday were:

Turnovers
Stupidity ( McBean especially)
Special teams
Inability to cover Marcedes Lewis

Not worrying yet since it's still early.

TheReverend
09-13-2010, 05:40 AM
I think if the team was ready for the game we win.

We could've trotted last year's AP all pro team out there and deserved to lose the way they played yesterday.

Br0nc0Buster
09-13-2010, 05:56 AM
We win that game if Buck doesnt fumble
add in the fact our special teams were absolutely pathetic, the false starts and holds on offense, and the personal fouls on defense, and we gift wrapped that game to them

they are the team that doesnt turn it over, and plays keep away when they get the ball
they capitalized on our mistakes, and we shot ourselves in the foot half the time on our opportunities

It happens, teams have bad games
if this becomes a trend, Ill get worried, but some people are acting like we got shut out and home to the Browns, it was a loss to an average team on the road

oubronco
09-13-2010, 06:36 AM

Do they play on the D-line?

Que
09-13-2010, 06:56 AM
I think we do. The 3rd down sacks killed us. Granted, I think Orton held on the ball a bit too long (you think??) but he would have had that extra second if we had a health oline.

But, injuries are a part of the game. We gave them the short field, we turned the ball over and we made mental mistake. They won, we lost.

bronco militia
09-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Orton's still the QB?

no

zdoor
09-13-2010, 07:06 AM
I think we win if we controlled kick coverage and turnovers... I think if we let them start at the 45 yard line even with Doom, Clady 100% and Harris it's iffy...

Spider
09-13-2010, 08:57 AM

we would have won yesterday if we played disciplined football ...... Penalty here and there is one thing , but back to back 15 yards late in the 4 th ...... Even the riders could have won given that kind of yardage

Spider
09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Look there was alot of problems yesterday , and not just players , but the double a gap blitz we didnt answer very well ( for some of you retards Jagoffs lined 2 lb over the center ) and we was running zone beating routes against man defense , The Jagoffs adjusted well to what we was doing ........ also orton has to use the hard count more ..... Didnt get alot of that yesterday

ColoradoDarin
09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
We win if Orton doesn't take that sack (or Beadles doesn't hold on the previous play) and Buck doesn't fumble.

ScottXray
09-13-2010, 09:21 AM
with a healthy O-line I think we would have won..even with the ST miscues and field position.

Major disappointments were Haggan, sacks (many due to Orton holding ball too long...he needs to throw it away more). Defense was not set and caught coming out of shifts too often.

I'd also like to see an offensive quick snap once in a while...its good to read the D and make adjustments....but we take TOO much time setting up the O every play.

We could surprise some people if they would just get up to the line and snap it sometimes. Hurry up on some of those plays and catch the other D
off guard.

Also I'd like to see more sweeps and toss sweeps, pitch outs.

Durango
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM

We win if we take Orakpo over Moreno in the draft.

Beantown Bronco
09-13-2010, 09:45 AM
We win if we take Orakpo over Moreno in the draft.

Correll Buckhalter's two broken down legs disagree.

Taco John
09-13-2010, 09:47 AM

I think this is a serious overstatement. Ayers had a good game, but I wouldn't compare yesterday's effort to anything we expect from Dumervil.

broncswin
09-13-2010, 09:48 AM
terrible penalty on the first drive and buck's fumble did us in early...the special teams play was icing on the jagwads cake

Spider
09-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I think this is a serious overstatement. Ayers had a good game, but I wouldn't compare yesterday's effort to anything we expect from Dumervil.
you dont know how Doom would have done against the Jagoff line ....... Maybe they blocked him the same way they did Ayers , maybe they chip block , throw a few Screens Dooms way to slow him down ........

Taco John
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
you dont know how Doom would have done against the Jagoff line ....... Maybe they blocked him the same way they did Ayers , maybe they chip block , throw a few Screens Dooms way to slow him down ........

Of course not. Nobody knows. I think it's well understood that we're speaking in general terms here, and in general terms, Ayers is nowhere near Dumervil. At least not yet.

Spider
09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Of course not. Nobody knows. I think it's well understood that we're speaking in general terms here, and in general terms, Ayers is nowhere near Dumervil. At least not yet.

maybe maybe not ...... from what I saw , there isnt that much of a drop off ... certainly not a changing difference ;D

Archer81
09-13-2010, 10:01 AM

Doubt that. The coverage was pretty solid.

But lets continue with the fantasy. It would have been a slant over the middle, where Brandon would have run backwards a few yards to go forwards, to get tackled right at the marker. They measure and Denver would have been a link short of the 1st down. Same result.

:Broncos:

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Harris I think would have made a difference. Dummervil is a liability in the run game where Ayers is not.

Popps
09-13-2010, 10:06 AM

Agree, and again... the concept was to have them BOTH on the field doing their thing. So, to say that Ayers "replaced" Doom's pressure is not only a bit off-base, but not to the point of the question.

Popps
09-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Harris I think would have made a difference. Dummervil is a liability in the run game where Ayers is not.

Yea, I'm not sure Doom would have been any worse against the run than what we saw. Plus, the back-breakers for us yesterday (outside of our own mistakes) were long pass plays where Gerrard had time to sit in the pocket.
That's where Doom would have helped.

Spider
09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Yea, I'm not sure Doom would have been any worse against the run than what we saw. Plus, the back-breakers for us yesterday (outside of our own mistakes) were long pass plays where Gerrard had time to sit in the pocket.
That's where Doom would have helped.

I agree bout the run part , not to sure bout the pass rush part .........what I am saying is you game plan for Ayers different then Doom .....

DenverBrit
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
A lot of miscues....ST giving up short fields, penalties, fumble in red zone, 3 rookies on the O line and a gimpy Clady, Haggan out of position, not enough talent on front 7, safeties played poorly.

and....Once, just once, could we cover the TE?

Mostly fixable, but talent deficiencies on D will take time to fix.