PDA

View Full Version : Chicago gets win ..with refs help/

ScottXray
09-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Detroit got jobbed on the last play of game...
REceiver catches ball in end zone take THREE steps then loses ball when he hits ground.

REfs say no catch and GIVE cutler and Chicago the win....
WTF!

NYBronco
09-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Saw that and Detroit got screwed.

Broncoman13
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
New rule emphasis this year. Have to control the ball even after going to the ground. I was afraid that the last long pass to Lloyd was going to be called incomplete for that very reason. Looked like he purposely tossed it rather than losing control of it... his saving grace.

The MVPlaya
09-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Wow Calvin got straight RAPED... that was a catch...

The MVPlaya
09-12-2010, 03:52 PM
New rule emphasis this year. Have to control the ball even after going to the ground. I was afraid that the last long pass to Lloyd was going to be called incomplete for that very reason. Looked like he purposely tossed it rather than losing control of it... his saving grace.

HE DID - he was on his ASS -- play over.

WABronco
09-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Ah yes, an entire new chapter of stupid ass rules to the stupid ass rulebook.

DivineBronco
09-12-2010, 03:53 PM
but from what i saw of that game Cutler is going to be knocked out of a game by week 5.......he has no chance

ScottXray
09-12-2010, 03:54 PM
That rule should not apply in the end zone, where it has always been simple possession of the ball in or across the goal line.
In that case if a guy fumbles after crossing the goal line he shouldn't score either.

At any rate it was a ****ty call.

snowspot66
09-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Three steps is having control of the ball. Losing it would be a fumble which would be irrelevant in the end zone since control was already established. Touchdown.

SoCalBronco
09-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm glad to see Jay had a great game and that he led a game winning drive at the end.

It's going to be hard for him to overcome their crappy OL and WR's every week, though.

Dagmar
09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm glad to see Jay had a great game and that he led a game winning drive at the end.

It's going to be hard for him to overcome their crappy OL and WR's every week, though.

Martz is going to get him killed, no matter my feelings on Cutler, I will never, NEVER, understand the perception that hiring him would be good for the team.

SoCalBronco
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Martz is going to get him killed, no matter my feelings on Cutler, I will never, NEVER, understand the perception that hiring him would be good for the team.

Martz is a little too Nintendo for my liking as well.

Dagmar
09-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Martz is a little too Nintendo for my liking as well.

Cutler needs to be reigned in a little to perform at a high level and control his picks, Martz will have him escaping pressure and forcing plays every week, which is what leads him to trouble. He escaped today like he did in the Hoculi game to me.

The greatest Cutler play I ever saw was the pass to Walker against 'Zona, where he did what was needed and was protected well.

Hamrob
09-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Martz is going to get him killed, no matter my feelings on Cutler, I will never, NEVER, understand the perception that hiring him would be good for the team.:-) They couldn't find anyone else who would take the job.

That One Guy
09-12-2010, 04:36 PM
CJ could've made it a non-question if he just keeps both hands on the ball and goes down. Until the players come to a halt, you don't put the ball in one hand and assume you already scored. He tried to brace his fall with the football in one hand whereas if he just catches it, clutches it, and rolls till the play ends then it's a Lions win.

Stupid call but he shouldn't have risked it. It's right up there with the idiots that drop the ball before crossing the goal line.

Dagmar
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM
CJ could've made it a non-question if he just keeps both hands on the ball and goes down. Until the players come to a halt, you don't put the ball in one hand and assume you already scored. He tried to brace his fall with the football in one hand whereas if he just catches it, clutches it, and rolls till the play ends then it's a Lions win.

Stupid call but he shouldn't have risked it. It's right up there with the idiots that drop the ball before crossing the goal line.

Whoa, it's not that dumb!

The MVPlaya
09-12-2010, 04:40 PM

No it's not. He caught the ball, got 2 feet down, taken to the ground on his ass/back. The ball NEVER EVEN MOVED since it go in his gloves.

Not sure why that's not a touchdown yet you can dive into the endzone and lose the ball yet that's a touchdown... look at the Lance Ball touchdown in the pre-season against the Steelers.

Bull **** call... really... I mean what difference would it have made if he put two hands on it and put it on the ground when he landed? Explain that to me.

Just like Lloyds catch today, he flipped the ball out after he caught it and got brought to the ground.

bull **** call.

bloodsunday
09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
I realize the call was "technically" correct. But that has to be the stupidest ruling I have seen in an NFL game in a while. These rules have too many obscurities. Why was his play not a TD, but a ball carrier cannot fumble in the endzone? Watching that play and admitting that wasn't a TD goes against all my football instincts. He scored and should have won the game.

Simplify it. I say either a guy comes off the pile with the ball or he doesn't. Why all this crap about what part of the anatomy hits first (elbow, knee versus hand) matter?

bpc
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Nice game by Jay Cutler. I think Detroit will end up looking a lot better than most will give them credit for.

The MVPlaya
09-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Not with Stafford injured.

Goobzilla
09-12-2010, 05:48 PM
2 feet down in the end zone with possession should be the end of it. If the rule reads differently then change it.

Clockwork Orange
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
2 feet down with possession. Down by contact with possession. That was a catch.

Dagmar
09-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Nice game by Jay Cutler. I think Detroit will end up looking a lot better than most will give them credit for.

Detroit should have won that game, Jay Cutler needs a specific type of coach, which he doesn't have right now.

The Lions will win at least 6 this year.

Gort
09-12-2010, 06:19 PM

does a runner have to maintain possession too, or is breaking the plane enough? because if the runner can fumble a mere microsecond after breaking the plane and still get credit for a TD, then the new rule on receivers is BS. the instant a receiver establishes possession and demonstrates that he's fully inbounds in the endzone, the play should be over and a TD should be awarded.

Pick Six
09-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Beyond that, it looks like Johnson purposely put the ball on the ground after he THOUGHT he made a touchdown. The guy was palming the football all the way to the ground. Nobody will convince me, otherwise, that he "lost control" of the ball...

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Cutler coming here to Dallas next week. That Cowboys rush is going to kill his ass.

titan
09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
too bad the NFL didn't have that Rule for SB12. Butch johnson's catch was NOT a td regardless

broncocalijohn
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Bears fans at the sports bar I was at knew they just stole one (or should it be won). How the refs didnt think he came down with two feet (once he has position in the endzone, it is a TD) and palms the ball all the way until the side of his body hits the ground THEN ball popps out when it hit the ground. That revue ref should be fired.
Cutler did play to his potential with a nice drive for the TD. Worse is I had Lions in the pick em league here.

dsmoot
09-12-2010, 07:12 PM
That rule should not apply in the end zone, where it has always been simple possession of the ball in or across the goal line.
In that case if a guy fumbles after crossing the goal line he shouldn't score either.

At any rate it was a ****ty call.

You see a number of RB breaking the plane and then losing the ball and nothing is called. He sure had possession a lot longer than Butch Johnson had in SB12

dsmoot
09-12-2010, 07:13 PM
too bad the NFL didn't have that Rule for SB12. Butch johnson's catch was NOT a td regardless

Sorry, I didn't see your post. At least a few of us are still bothered by that catch. AD has never forgotten Rob Lytle.

tsiguy96
09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
this is the worst rule, just like its said, as long as a RB even BREAKS the plane, its a TD regardless of what ahppens after. receiver needs to hold ball for 3 minutes?

Clockwork Orange
09-12-2010, 07:24 PM
It just had to happen to the poor friggin' Lions too. I swear, Ford Field must be built on an ancient Indian burial ground.

Popps
09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Jay tried to INT and fumble the game away. Forte and the refs saved him.

What is it about the refs wanting Jay to win his opener?

He won't get that kind of outside help the rest of the season. Detroit should have won that game.

gunns
09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
They kept saying he needed to follow thru with the process and I kept thinking that two feet down, over the line, then he falls, how long was he supposed to lay there. They got robbed and they were by far the better team out there today. Those two goal line stands were unbelievable.

Broncoman13
09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Whoa, it's not that dumb!

No, it's not that dumb... but it is a play he could have avoided by just bringing the ball into his body rather than chancing it. It's unfortunate that he had to learn that lesson on what would have been the game winning TD. The good news is, I'd bet that is the last time he makes that mistake!

gunns
09-12-2010, 07:44 PM
It just had to happen to the poor friggin' Lions too. I swear, Ford Field must be built on an ancient Indian burial ground.

They were in Chicago weren't they?

Clockwork Orange
09-12-2010, 07:46 PM
They were in Chicago weren't they?

Yes, but whatever curse that's been placed upon seems to follow them wherever they go. They've lost 21 straight road games and this one had to hurt worse than any of the previous 20.

broncosteven
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM

He won't get that kind of outside help the rest of the season. Detroit should have won that game.

Too bad Orton actually did INT our game away. I would give anything to see Orton complete an 80 yard TD.

oubronco
09-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Horrible call by the refs that was a td for sure as for Cutler good for him

BroncoMan4ever
09-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Detroit got jobbed on the last play of game...
REceiver catches ball in end zone take THREE steps then loses ball when he hits ground.

REfs say no catch and GIVE cutler and Chicago the win....
WTF!

that call was complete bull****. the rule has always been 2 feet touching the ground while in possession of the ball is a catch, add in that he had 2 feet then a knee and then his ass on the ground in the end zone after making a football move in moving the ball out of reach of the defender only to have the call ruled against him after the ball came out of his hand when he was getting up to celebrate his catch was a complete bull**** call.

BroncoMan4ever
09-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Too bad Orton actually did INT our game away. I would give anything to see Orton complete an 80 yard TD.

Cutlet didn't do anything special on the FORTE TD. he threw a short dumpoff pass that FORTE took to the house.

the better thing to say would be, i wish we had a RB that could take it 80 yards to the house.

bpc
09-12-2010, 08:50 PM

Let go of the Jay-Hate bud. You got what you wanted. Doesn't matter who caught his TD passes, he threw for 375 and 2 TD's, by all accounts had a great game.

Side-note, grow up.

Beantown Bronco
09-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Too bad Orton actually did INT our game away.

Were we winning? No.

We were down by a TD with less than a minute to go. Not too many QBs in this league are going to consistently drive for TDs in those conditions, with that lack of time, etc. Probably none.

oubronco
Cutlet didn't do anything special on the FORTE TD. he threw a short dumpoff pass that FORTE took to the house.

the better thing to say would be, i wish we had a RB that could take it 80 yards to the house.

Man i wish we had a RB that could take it 80 yards to the house on any given play

Irish Stout
I'm sorry, I saw the replay, but didn't hear the discussion, what exactly is the rule now?

oubronco
09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Have to control the ball after hitting the ground

Missouribronc
09-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Its a hypocritical explanation by the NFL, as well. If you have to maintain possession during a catch in the endzone while going to the ground, the Saints two-point conversion in the Super Bowl shouldn't have counted because he lost control before any part of his body hit the ground, yet the NFL said that was the correct ruling too. Its either one, or the other. The Lions got screwed.

That One Guy
09-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Have to control the ball after hitting the ground

And he did. He put the ball down as he was trying to get up.

That One Guy
09-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry, I saw the replay, but didn't hear the discussion, what exactly is the rule now?

It's the same as last year. If you're contacted in the air then you have to maintain the ball through contact with the ground. If CJ had hit the ground as a process of catching it one handed then I'd have said so be it but he had already landed, made like 60 movements with the ball, and was rolling in excitement to go celebrate the game winning TD. At some point the catch was already established after he contacted the ground.

Popps
09-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Wasn't it a short pass and a long run by Forte?

Orton shouldn't have been in the position he was in. Our defense laid down and forced us into an obvious pass-only situation.

Orton had a great day and was the least of our problems.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-12-2010, 10:23 PM

I'd say it was vintage Jay Cutler. Almost 400 yards. 19 points. Durrrrr.

KevinJames
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
lol the few plays phonzie had on D he got called once for illegal contact

Ugly Duck
09-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Oh, you mean like this?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_J0_WL06AAc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_J0_WL06AAc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

bpc
09-13-2010, 12:00 AM
I'd say it was vintage Jay Cutler. Almost 400 yards. 19 points. Durrrrr.

Football's a team game. Takes 11 x 2 + ST's to win. Cutler did his part. He usually does and has since he's been in the league. He's run into trouble when he's had to pick up the whole team and put them on his back, ie, basically the whole time he was in Denver.

NUB
09-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Correct call. Not the gentlemanly call or anything, but those are the rules... As for the Bears, I have a hard time imagining it not being completely downhill from here for them.

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Wasn't it a short pass and a long run by Forte?

Orton shouldn't have been in the position he was in. Our defense laid down and forced us into an obvious pass-only situation.

Orton had a great day and was the least of our problems.

I never said 80 ****ing yards in the air. It would be nice to be able to score from all points of the field. If we run that play to Knowgain he only gets 7 yards or back to LOS. When was the last time Orton threw a 80-90 yard TD?

Beantown Bronco
09-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Probably week one last year....one of the TDs against the Skins was close, but I think it was more like 65-70 yds.

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Were we winning? No.

We were down by a TD with less than a minute to go. Not too many QBs in this league are going to consistently drive for TDs in those conditions, with that lack of time, etc. Probably none.

It wasn't 4th down, throw it away and try a better play on the next play. Oh and if he throws a better pass to Lloyd in the endzone on 4th down game is tied. But that wouldn't have mattered because our ST would have given them the ball at the 50 anyway.

Bigdawg26
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Oh, you mean like this?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_J0_WL06AAc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_J0_WL06AAc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

EXACTLY!!! All that I'm going to say is let that have been the Pats or the Colts and that would have been called a touchdown!!!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Football's a team game. Takes 11 x 2 + ST's to win. Cutler did his part. He usually does and has since he's been in the league. He's run into trouble when he's had to pick up the whole team and put them on his back, ie, basically the whole time he was in Denver.

You are just adorable.

chex
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I never said 80 ****ing yards in the air. It would be nice to be able to score from all points of the field. If we run that play to Knowgain he only gets 7 yards or back to LOS. When was the last time Orton threw a 80-90 yard TD?

Brandon Stokley against Cincy?

broncosteven
09-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Brandon Stokley against Cincy?

Your right, freak play but it did go just as far. Too bad we didn't get a freak play to tie the game yesterday...

Steve Prefontaine
09-13-2010, 12:35 PM
ugh, what a ****ty situation and to me it's pretty clear he put down the ball after catching it.

but i blame calvin johnson a bit allowing the refs judgment enter the equation. i bet he'll never do that again.