PDA

View Full Version : Martindale better shape up

gyldenlove
09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
For a guy who is supposed to be a Ryan disciple he was even more conservative than Nolan, our zone pass defense got eaten alive by a ****ty QB and an average TE, we had virtually no pass rush and no turnovers, if Martindale doesn't get his **** together fast and digs up his balls from whatever hole they have been hidden in we are in for a long long season full fail.

tsiguy96
09-12-2010, 01:36 PM
yea, there was no pressure or even attempted pressure for most of what i saw.

OABB
09-12-2010, 01:36 PM
We really missed Elvis today. Sucks to lose someone like that.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Sweet Christ, it's one ****ing game.

Taco John
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
He can rock a Tie Dye though. That takes some daring, no?

SoCalBronco
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
What would you like him to do?

The only way they are going to get pressure is if they bring full out blitzes and leave the secondary hanging? They don't have a horse at WOLB....we already knew this, Moss and Hunter don't come even close to replacing half of Doom.

Wink actually held their offense in check for a good chunk of the game, despite the passing stats, but eventually most teams are going to adjust and its hard for us to keep people down when we don't have pass rushers (outside of Ayers). He can't make Jarvis into a football player by sheer magic.

fontaine
09-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Losing Doom this year is going to cost us at least three games.

No pass rush, no defense.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Sooooo, will people shut up about Cox this week too? Guy played like a rookie corner, not someone all the Interwebz GMs think can take over for Champ next year.

Popps
09-12-2010, 01:41 PM
We really missed Elvis today. Sucks to lose someone like that.

Been saying it for a while. Doom makes the difference in a game like today... not to mention, a healthy Clady and some O-linemen who aren't deer in headlights.

It is what it is, folks... we're in the 2nd year of a rebuilding process. I'm hoping for the best, but it's obvious that we need our stars healthy, and our young guys to grow up.

crush17
09-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Poor execution on both sides of the ball. Untimely penalties, inaccurate passing, poor run blocking... kinks that will need be worked out and soon.

Requiem
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I don't think Martindale called a bad defensive game. Special teams put the defense in poor position on two of their scores for a short field and Ryan McBean really helped out the Jaguars for 30 of their 60 yards on the final drive.

Mistakes by Buckhalter and Beadles early on easily took at least six points off the board. We just weren't efficient enough on third downs either.

mj1569
09-12-2010, 01:54 PM
There were mistakes accross the board in this game. The Broncos were clearly the better team IMO, However you cant turn the ball over and have costly penalties that lead to punts when you are in scoring postion. The defense looked very vanilla and it is obvious that the offense is going to have to score points this year for the Broncos to win consistantly. The running game looked pedestrian and the O-line was inconsistant. Give Beadles credit for trying but Kampman used him up like a cheap b***ch all game. Orton, Royal and Lloyd all looked good though and Prater was money also. Looking forward to next week.

The Joker
09-12-2010, 01:55 PM

The only way they are going to get pressure is if they bring full out blitzes and leave the secondary hanging? They don't have a horse at WOLB....we already knew this, Moss and Hunter don't come even close to replacing half of Doom.

Wink actually held their offense in check for a good chunk of the game, despite the passing stats, but eventually most teams are going to adjust and its hard for us to keep people down when we don't have pass rushers (outside of Ayers). He can't make Jarvis into a football player by sheer magic.

You said yourself earlier in the week that you felt we'd send 5 a lot and play man coverage as our DB's would be able to cover their WR's 1 on 1.

Yet there were very few plays where we sent more than 4, we let Garrard have all day back there and he never looked like he was going to throw a pick.

Not going to write Wink off just yet, but I didn't like the playcalling on D at all today, especially in the second half.

Rohirrim
09-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I thought he did a fine job with what he's got.

v2micca
09-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Sooooo, will people shut up about Cox this week too? Guy played like a rookie corner, not someone all the Interwebz GMs think can take over for Champ next year.

Yeah, he played about like a 5th round rookie in his first game. The feeling is that he will continue to improve and contribute. If he doesn't.....well, at least we didn't give up a first for him.

broncos-rock
09-12-2010, 01:58 PM
I think i'm more disappointed in buckhalter than anything after he fumbled he just plain sucked. I think hes still nursing an injury but Moreno looked good but not great

snowspot66
09-12-2010, 01:58 PM
It's going to be a couple of years before this defense can get above average. We put out one of thew worst defenses in NFL history in 08. We have a lot of work to do there.

WolfpackGuy
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
He can rock a Tie Dye though. That takes some daring, no?

LOL

Yeah, that shirt was awful.

Hopefully, he lost his luggage or something.

Jesterhole
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
There was no reason for Buckhalter to play in that game. Moreno looks OK when he ws in there...why did we pick him at 12 again if we keep on giving all his damn carries to some fumble prone journeyman?

baja
09-12-2010, 02:02 PM
It's going to be a couple of years before this defense can get above average. We put out one of thew worst defenses in NFL history in 08. We have a lot of work to do there.

Considering he did not play a down in pre season and had no training camp he played great!

WABronco
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Been the same **** on defense for a decade now...sparse pass rush and no backbone. Maybe it's just that, idk, we've had **** ASS PLAYERS FOR THAT ENTIRE SPAN.

DERRRRRRRRRRRRR

WolfpackGuy
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
There was no reason for Buckhalter to play in that game. Moreno looks OK when he ws in there...why did we pick him at 12 again if we keep on giving all his damn carries to some fumble prone journeyman?

Cause they didn't want SD to have him.

baja
09-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Moreno will come around it was his first real football since last season it was over 100 on the field and he was coming off a hammy you guys are unrealistic.

NFLBRONCO
09-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't expect to Wink to be awesome with a very weak front 7. Denver needs to keep upgrading front 7 and hard until we do we'll struggle.

TonyR
09-12-2010, 02:13 PM

What a dopey post. Moreno isn't 100% and you want him to have every carry? Every team gives their starting RB a breather. Did you happen to notice that Jones-Drew didn't take every hand off for the Jags? Just shut up already.

Broncoman13
09-12-2010, 02:15 PM
For a guy who is supposed to be a Ryan disciple he was even more conservative than Nolan, our zone pass defense got eaten alive by a ****ty QB and an average TE, we had virtually no pass rush and no turnovers, if Martindale doesn't get his **** together fast and digs up his balls from whatever hole they have been hidden in we are in for a long long season full fail.

TOTALLY AGREE! Not sure why we went so conservative but it sure was ugly. The safety coverage is horrible. Dawkins did something that Jones couldn't manage to do all preseason and that is make Jones look good. Hill shouldn't be playing... poor in coverage and doesn't play physical enough against the run. We really need McBath to show up soon.

Rohirrim
09-12-2010, 02:17 PM
When you lose your number one pass rusher, you are forced into a conservative game plan.

Broncoman13
09-12-2010, 02:47 PM
When you lose your number one pass rusher, you are forced into a conservative game plan.

BULLSHIAT! You sit back and play conservative football and you allow a subpar QB to have a career day against your defense!

oubronco
09-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Why can't we seem to ever get a good solid defensive line? It is so frustrating to wtach year in and year out

WABronco
09-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Why can't we seem to ever get a good solid defensive line? It is so frustrating to wtach year in and year out

When was the last time we had a down DL worth a ****? Trevor Pryce?

Rock Chalk
09-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Umm, Jacksonville's special teams kept Jacksonville's offense in check statistics wise.

They would have put a lot more yardage up on us in that second half if not starting at or near midfield twice.

I was not impressed with the defensive playcalling at all. Our secondary should be able to play straight up man on those ****ty ass players at Jacksonville and we could have afforded to send 5 or 6 at a time at least more often than we did.

gyldenlove
09-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Here is what I would like him to do:

1. NEVER EVER have Mario Haggan cover anybody, he is ridicously slow, the first TD he was supposed to cover Lewis which he did by running around a full 5 yards behind him.

2. NEVER EVER use that soft zone cover, whenever he feels an urge to do so, he should be forced to look at 1 hour of gametape from the good old days of Slowik.

3. Rush 5 and play man cover on the outside when facing ****ty WRs, why the hell did we rush 3 and play zone cover in the red zone?

4. Beat the snot out of any defensive player who giftwraps 30 yards in penalties on a single drive in a tied game in the 4th quarter.

5. Get rid of that ****ing tie dye, it makes you look like a fat bald warhammer player, put on a damn hoodie and get with the program.

Cito Pelon
09-12-2010, 03:00 PM

The zone pass D was not so good. He did try to bring pressure.

baja
09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Champ had a great game

Cito Pelon
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
yea, there was no pressure or even attempted pressure for most of what i saw.

Denver brought some blitzes in. Obviously, the middle zone needs some work.

Cito Pelon
09-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Been saying it for a while. Doom makes the difference in a game like today... not to mention, a healthy Clady and some O-linemen who aren't deer in headlights.

It is what it is, folks... we're in the 2nd year of a rebuilding process. I'm hoping for the best, but it's obvious that we need our stars healthy, and our young guys to grow up.

Beadles was starting way out of position. He was an LT in college, then he has to go to RT in the opener as a rookie.

I think it was a pretty good effort by the team today, they really should have won. The ST kickoff coverage I think was the big deal, it really hurt the team effort badly.

And obviously, if Denver converts the 4th and 3 with 5 minutes to go . . .

It was a pretty good game for playing on the road in the opener, I'm not disheartened at all.

snowspot66
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Beadles was starting way out of position. He was an LT in college, then he has to go to RT in the opener as a rookie.

I think it was a pretty good effort by the team today, they really should have won. The ST kickoff coverage I think was the big deal, it really hurt the team effort badly.

It was a pretty good game for playing on the road in the opener, I'm not disheartened at all.

I would say it's probably our best opening performance since at least 04. Even in the opening wins we always looked out of it and not on the same page.

I don't know why it took so many years and most of our players injured in one way or another to get that performance though.

TonyR
09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
NEVER EVER have Mario Haggan cover anybody, he is ridicously slow, the first TD he was supposed to cover Lewis which he did by running around a full 5 yards behind him.

That was brutal. Between him and Dawkins we have a couple of guys we need to keep out of such coverage situations.

R8R H8R
09-12-2010, 03:55 PM
I thought he did a fine job with what he's got.

Yea, kind of hard to indict Wink on his 1st game as DC. I really fear that it is not him, but the deck that has been dealt to him. Problem is, it's too late to get more talent to shore it up.

Rohirrim
09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
BULLSHIAT! You sit back and play conservative football and you allow a subpar QB to have a career day against your defense!

This ain't Madden.

Popps
09-12-2010, 04:15 PM

I'm not really, either.

I think people who are really disheartened today are either...

A. People who really had unreal expectations

B. People who had have an axe to grind, anyway.

No thinking, rational fan expected perfection this season. We lost a road opener by a TD in a game where we made some mistakes and were missing a few key players.

We're still in a rebuilding phase. I mean, like it or not... that's the truth.

But, you're always going to have people melting down after one bad game. It's to be expected around here. I've already seen "fire McDaneils" posts. Pretty comical. More comical because Bowlen is going to give the kid plenty of time.

Good thing they didn't freak out and fire Kubiak down in Huston, huh?

Things take time... particularly when your team isn't healthy and you're fielding rookies at key positions.

Kaylore
09-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I felt like we missed Dumervil and will all year. We did better than I thought we would. I expected us to lose by at least 14 points.

gyldenlove
09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
What really worries me is that Garrard got knocked around more than any other QB last year and we barely got to him at all, that is not good news for when we have to play teams who know how to defend the QB, we need to blitz a lot more creatively and get the coverage worked out.