PDA

View Full Version : List who you predict will be a stand out player tomorrow~!!

Jesus
09-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Joe May's

http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/08-August/2ndhalf_gallery_100829/2ndhalf_gallery_100829-GabrielChristus004--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

OBF1
09-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Besides Tebow???

Syd'Quan Thompson

Jesus
09-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Besides Tebow???

Syd'Quan Thompson

July 21, 2010 Old news but well worth repeating...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/993/582/83035690_crop_340x234.jpg?1279737137

The 40 yard dash was a factor NFL teams such as the Dallas Cowboys started using in the early 60's to evaluate football players. The 40 yard dash was one of the many innovations Paul Brown is credited for.

Legend has it that when Brown was coaching the Ohio State Buckeyes in the 1940's, he figured that a punt traveled 40 yards, so the 40 yard dash was created to see which player could get to the punt returner the fastest.

The Raiders actually have three of the all time top ten 40 yard dash players on their team.

Here is the the NFL Combine 40 Yard Dash top ten record holders

4.24 Rondel Melendez WR 1999 Atlanta Falcons
4.24 Chris Johnson RB 2008 Tennessee Titans
4.25 Fabian Washington CB 2005 Baltimore Ravens (Drafted by Raiders)
4.25 Darrius Heyward-Bey Oakland Raiders
4.28 Champ Bailey CB 1999 Denver Broncos
4.28 Jerome Mathis WR 2005 Houston Texans
4.28 Jacoby Ford WR 2010 Oakland Raiders
4.29 Stanford Routt CB 2005 Oakland Raiders
4.29 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB 2008 Arizona Cardinals

Thing we have learned 60 years later, is just how overhyped the 40 yard dash can be when it comes to evaluating players. Defenders whose experience and technique often give's them an edge on the field that can often time not be translated or computed on a track.

5'7" Maurice Jones Drew is among many many players who have undermined conventional scouting methods used to determine success at this level. How tall or short you are, how you throw the football, and even how fast you are, should never undermine the intangible that the player brings to the field of play in the form of results.

A players heart is an intangible that can virtually be impossible to compute.

"Our biggest thing was we had to get accurate information into the computer, so the more information you got the better results you got," former Cowboys personnel director Gil Brandt said.

"So we had a chart made up that if a player was X height and ran a 4.45 he'd get 40-plus points. If a player was X height and ran a 4.6, he might get 10-plus points. To me, what the [40] does is it becomes something of a tiebreaker or it's something that alerts you to a player that can be pretty good."

"I'm glad the Saints didn't put too much emphasis on my 40 when I came out," said Jack Del Rio "It's a tool. It's another thing for us to measure, grade, evaluate. I think at the end of the day you're looking for football players that produce for you on the field."

"It's been like that for years," Syracuse cornerback Tanard Jackson said. "Nothing's going to change it. But I'd still like to think the decision-makers want a football player. They want a guy with speed, especially at the position I play, but the film is the film. They want a football player."

"You can get too carried away with straight line speed because change of direction is so important in this game," said Wade Phillips. "Guys that run with their feet a little further apart, even running backs sometimes, aren't as fast but their change of direction is quicker."

Former Ohio State Buckeye linebacker Chris Spielman ran 4.85 40 coming out of college, he still managed to make it to four Pro Bowls in 10 seasons.

To put some perspective on just how slow 4.85 40 is, OT Bruce Cambell, the fourth round selection of the Oakland Raiders in the 2010 NFL draft ran a 4.85 40; this is a guy who is 6'6" and weighs 314 pounds.

"He (Spielman) was so instinctive and anticipated things," Phillips said. "A lot of times, it's the shortest distance between two points. You figure out where that point's going to be and you get there."

Speed is a premium in this league, but like anything else, you can find the "it" factor in players who lack the premium of speed.

There are players that don't have speed, but yet have allowed their heart and mind to take them to a level where a fast player may not have felt compelled to go because their talent's can often time keep them from having to strive as hard.

In the art of war adopting the strategies of sophisticated techniques to the point where they are an instinctual facet of your game, will indeed allow you to overcome stronger and faster opponent's lacking the same.

Dre' Bly was drafted in 1999, and he just signed a two year contract with the Detroit Lions. Bly has been to two Super Bowl's, he won one with the St. Louis Rams, he has also made two Pro Bowl appearances. In 2007 Denver Broncos gave Bly a $33 million contract with an $18 million in bonus money and $16 million guaranteed.

Dre' Bly runs a 4.51 40

Too often the premium of speed in this league, is substituted for phenomenal ability. That appears to be exactly the case with Syd’Quan Thompson who ran a 4.75 40 while recovering from a hamstring injury.

He is not fast as track times go, but when it comes to being up to par to game time speed and knowing where to be, he has all the makings of a Pro Bowler at the very least as a safety in this league. Syd has that all to coveted "IT" factor that coaches look for in a player.

"If you were to ask me the most important players on our team, I'd say Kevin Riley, Jahvid Best, Alex Mack, and Syd'Quan Thompson," said middle LB Worrell Williams. "Syd is the only guy I listed on defense, so what's that tell you?"

"He's going to shut down one side of the field when he's out there."

Having 4.5 40 Mardy Gilyard blow by you in the Senior Bowl will make your stock drop like a rock. Syd injured his hamstring in January, the week of the Senior Bowl.

Syd was not able to run at all during the combine. Many of the scouts came to see Cal’s Pro Day 40 time, 19 teams attended, only to see Syd re-aggravate his hamstring in his 4.7 40 attempt.

"It's frustrating that I'm not 100 percent and able to run full speed," said Thompson.

"There are some guys who can cover well, execute assignments and grade out well when you watch the video, and you're happy when you find those guys," defensive backs coach Al Simmons said. "What Syd can do is a step above; he can make a play for you."

"When you've got a guy who can do all those things and make a play, it's something special."

"...there's not a receiver out there who can embarrass Syd. He's a shutdown corner with 1,000 pounds of heart."

Scouts had considered Syd, a potential first-round draft pick heading into the 2009 season.

Scout.com rated him the number-five player in its West Hot 100. Rivals.com rated him the 13th-ranked athlete in the nation and the 21st-ranked player in California.

ESPN assessed him as the 11th-ranked cornerback in the nation.

The hamstring injury plagued Syd’s stock, not to mention Cal being blown out in its last two games.

Syd’s lack of elite speed along with his 5'9" 193 pound size has a lot of folks thinking Syd may be forced to make a position change at the pro level. A switch to safety, where his ball hawk skills along with his sure handed tackling abilities could pay off with huge dividends.

Syd is a physical player who is known for being a good hitter. His coverage instincts, return and open-field tackling ability ought to give him in advantage in making it on the team for the depth he adds both to the secondary as well as Special Teams.

Syd’s intelligence and instincts have been proven to more than make up for his lack of elite speed.

Syd said...

“Returning punts is a way to get my hands on the ball as a defender, I like to be on the field no matter what. I’ve always returned punts since I was a kid.”

“I’m always real critical about everything, even when someone says I do it well. I can always improve. I want to be the complete package,”

“I’m the most complete player. I’m tougher, I’m smarter. I’ll do anything to make the team successful.”

So Broncos fans when you are projecting your 53 man roster, be careful not to write off Syd’Quan Thompson.

rbackfactory80
09-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Bobby Ayers

Los Broncos
09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Bannan and Royal.

RhymesayersDU
09-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Tebow.

HEAV
09-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Kyle Orton

baja
09-11-2010, 11:57 AM
good read hay Zoos thanks

Jesus
09-11-2010, 12:04 PM
AyersBannan and Royal.Kyle Orton

Deep threat Royal could act more like a diversion than anything with dink and dunk Orton at the helm. Then again if

Tebow.

has a great day then we may have to

http://www.chicksnchaps.org/Library/Images/Logos/Crown%20Royal.jpg

the Champ

I love Ayers prospects considering the diversion Bannan can act on the line of scrimage while dropping back into coverage giving Ayers a little of a surprise edge off of the edge.

Ayers could indeed come up big this game. Especially after that phenomenal showing during the Steelers game.

http://maxdenver.com/maxdenver/images/broncos/100829/ayers_425.jpg

BMarsh615
09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Please don't be Maurice Jones Drew

baja
09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I will say Orton too

Br0nc0Buster
09-11-2010, 12:12 PM
on offense, Orton
on defense, the Champ

SoCalBronco
09-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Joe May's

http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/08-August/2ndhalf_gallery_100829/2ndhalf_gallery_100829-GabrielChristus004--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

He's going to force a fumble or two on special teams?

Mogulseeker
09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Jesus, shouldn't you already know who the standout player will be?

HEAV
09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Deep threat Royal could act more like a diversion than anything with dink and dunk Orton at the helm.

Again this is the "Fail" of a few posters on here.

Orton Yards per attempt were higher than many "Big Arm" quarterbacks from 2009. He was in the company of Manning (E), Brady and other big name QB's.

The view that he is Griese 2.0 is false. While the Broncos offense runs many screens and short stick/slant routes Orton can and will throw the deeper pass and is great at the mid-range pass.

Ziggy
09-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Eddie Royal and the defense

LRtagger
09-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I think Royal will have a huge game as well.

Mogulseeker
09-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Orton Yards per attempt were higher than many "Big Arm" quarterbacks from 2009. He was in the company of Manning (E), Brady and other big name QB's.

The view that he is Griese 2.0 is false. While the Broncos offense runs many screens and short stick/slant routes Orton can and will throw the deeper pass and is great at the mid-range pass.

This

cousinal11
09-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Renaldo Hill and Jabar Gaffney.

Jesus
09-11-2010, 01:09 PM
May I suggest praying for rain...:notworthy

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/weather/5day.jpg

If the rain comes down like I suspect it will, and things cool down, then I expect nothing less than to see Knowshon Moreno turning on the heat while running behind Stanly Daniels who has been a beast of a FA aquisition in the run game.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0817/nfl_moreno_knowshon_260.jpghttp://www.kffl.com/images/player-images/knowshon-moreno-391x213-20091119.jpghttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5JknxaetPUhVvDj5A-ogUq3INx-v7ky0t6sV7WRGEW9dgz4E&t=1&usg=__n-vY-4y-t0_BL27ED8FLQPzy5k8=

http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/08-August/gallery_1sthalf_lions_100821/gallery_1sthalf_lions_100821-_B2K4930--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Requiem
09-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Jesus has predicted about 12 players do breakout tomorrow. FAIL THREAD.

TheReverend
09-11-2010, 01:13 PM

If by "Eli Manning and Tom Brady" you mean "David Garrard and Jason Campbell", then you're totally correct.

Orton had 7.0. Manning and Brady were at 7.9 and 7.8 in that top 10 range. Orton was with Campbell and Garrard in that 7.1 7.0 range. But still 0.4 ahead of 2009 Cutler.

Quoydogs
09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Joe May's

Is it just me or does #4 look a lot like Gary Coleman in this photo. What you talkin' bout willis.

WABronco
09-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Zane Beadles!

MileHighMagic
09-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Decker

Mogulseeker
09-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Rain benefits the run-heavy Jagwads as opposed to the pass-heavy Broncos.

As for the prediction. I'm gonna go with Royal. A weak pass rush will give Orton decent time to find the slot... with Bey Bey and Gaffney playing the outside.

Broncojef
09-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I'll go Gaffney on Offense and DJ on Defense

broncocalijohn
09-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Kyle Orton

Add me to this. Compared to last year's first game, we wont know it is the same guy (minus the beard of course).
I am beginning to think "Jesus" is Joshua converted from Judaism.

Quoydogs
09-11-2010, 01:43 PM
The return of Royal with cheese!

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
09-11-2010, 01:49 PM
the ball boys, mascot and the ref, oh and the guy who moves the chains around oh and the hotdog vender , also willy the grounds keeper he travels from spring field to jacksonville every sunday.

strafen
09-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Britt Colquitt.
J/K !!! Ha!

DarkHorse
09-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Cox, draped over the slot receiver

no homo

Tebow will be the standout, just because. One 3rd down conversion run by Tebow makes him player of the game.

baja
09-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Cox, draped over the slot receiver

no homo

Tebow will be the standout, just because. One 3rd down conversion run by Tebow makes him player of the game.

I hope not the last thing we need n Bronco land is a QB controversy.

Jesus
09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Rain benefits the run-heavy Jagwads as opposed to the pass-heavy Broncos.

As for the prediction. I'm gonna go with Royal. A weak pass rush will give Orton decent time to find the slot... with Bey Bey and Gaffney playing the outside.

Josh McDaniels was called out by the Jaguars for having a finesse offense when he faced the Jaguars in the playoffs. Laurence Maroney wound up 5.5 yards per attempt and the patriots racked up nearly twice as many rushing yards as the Jaguars.

Funny thing was the Jaguars wound up cowarding from a power running game to being a finesse team. ROFL!

Broncos are still coming into their own as far as identity last thing you want to do is write of their rushing offense as being an insignificant facet of their game.

Seeing how McDaniels has loves using blocking TE's it had me wondering if he was not trying to squeese both the finesse as well as power facets to his brilliant scheme?
Andre Brown NY Giants 4th round pick out of NC State, ruptured his left Achilles tendon his 2009 rookie season.
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/kirwan.jpgTrend watch: Is power offense making a comeback?

Will bigger be better?

As we continue to see defenses get faster and more athletic to handle all the matchup problems offenses throw at them, perhaps it is time for offenses to try a different tact...

I get the feeling that a few offensive coordinators are starting to see a new opportunity emerging from these defensive tactics.

It was suggested to me that a few teams may be considering an old-fashioned offensive mentality that might be more from the Vince Lombardi school than the spread offense of 2007. It just might be time to send two big in-line tight end types out on to the field with a big old-fashioned fullback and a power runner. It might just be time to punch these quick defenses right in the nose with some smash-mouth power football.

One coach told me his team's divisional opponents dictate this switch -- tighten the line splits down so quick defensive linemen can't penetrate a gap, and roll a short-yardage philosophy out in the middle of the field.

Power Runner Andre Brown NY Giants 4th round pick out of NC State, ruptured his left Achilles tendon his rookie season.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ee/fullj.21e550228f1871bd0d1ce8c6b2e2c7dc/21e550228f1871bd0d1ce8c6b2e2c7dc-getty-98649716nl039_pittsburgh_st.jpg
http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/andre-brown-giants-jets-preseason-8b97982658116ab0_large.jpg
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/andre-brown-2010-8-21-21-50-35.jpg
http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/jacobs-landry-281x300.jpg
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXDVPjN31OSo9zA-DFYxnvVK8fGPlDAJNC43UjTFq4kgcUi1I&t=1&usg=__5Qx5SMT0MtmMSQizOSk--s67S4U=

Brown is a steal at this point in the draft. The Giants do a good job with picking their players. He really made a name for himself at the Senior Bowl and flashed outstanding skills. He's got receiving talent and gives the Giants a great replacement for Derrick Ward.

After playing in a running back by committee situation his first three years at State, Brown finally was given his opportunity to be the team's full-time starter as a senior...

Brown also proved to be more than just a one-dimensional player. He pulled down 70 receptions as the short-yardage receiver. He also averaged 20.0 yards on 17 kickoff returns, as the tailback would end his career by amassing 3,511 all-purpose yards to go with 24 touchdowns, ranking eighth on the school career-record chart.

Brown is not timid to run the ball up the gut and does so with power and authority. He plays with good effort and won't back down mentally. He wants the ball in pressure situations and has worked hard to get more involved in the passing game. He shows very good determination and urgency in his play. He's a true gamer who played through several injuries that should have sidelined him longer (doctors said he should sit out the rest of the 2007 season after fracturing his foot, but he returned four weeks later). He has good power and speed for this position and will punish tacklers breaking them...

Despite his timed speed, Brown is more of a power runner that can break tackles and keep his balance than an elusive scatback bouncing out wide. There is no indecisiveness to him when he spots an inside crease, as he is not the type that will dance in the hole and is best served when he's always moving forward. He breaks arm tackles, gets the tough yards and creates space for himself, despite poor hip swerve and wiggle. He stays low in his pads, keeps his shoulders square and drives hard with his legs to get good, hard yards. He will take what he can get from the defense, but can't create if the hole is closed...

baja
09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I like your football takes but your posts on the 9/11 thread - wrong place / wrong time. You should delete them. If you don't my guess is you will be banned and your career here will be over before it began.

The MVPlaya
09-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Kyle Orton

Boomhauer
09-11-2010, 04:37 PM
On Offense: Wet grass favors receivers like Lloyd and Graham.
On Defense: I'd say Hill, DJ and Jones in nickle match-ups.

extralife
09-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I can only hope it is Robert Ayers

OABB
09-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Add me to this. Compared to last year's first game, we wont know it is the same guy (minus the beard of course).
I am beginning to think "Jesus" is Joshua converted from Judaism.

Jesus was a Jew dude...

Jesterhole
09-11-2010, 05:06 PM
On offense, I'll have to hope that it's Orton, since he seems to be the brightest spot there.

On defense, it better be Jamal Williams. If he doesn't pan out, our interior is in deep trouble.

Bronco Boy
09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
That Paxton guy. He's concrete cyanide.

Play2win
09-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Champ, Brandon Lloyd, and Orton.

DenverBroncosJM
09-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Think Champ has a field day and Royal shows up also

oubronco
09-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Buckhalter

rmsanger
09-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Prater will be money all day! I'm seeing him with 4 fgs and 2 XPs...

Bronco Rob
09-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Correll Buckhalter

8')

Popps
09-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Orton and Bailey.

The MVPlaya
09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Prater will be money all day! I'm seeing him with 4 fgs and 2 XPs...

We don't kick FG's. We score touchdowns.

easymobee
09-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I think we'll be pleased this year with how the other LBs pick up the slack caused by Dumervil's injury and I think it'll start to show tomorrow.

One of these guys (Ayers is my pick) is gonna post a healthy 11-15 sack season and I think at least one other flirts with 10 (7.5 -9.5).

I'm looking for that production against a pair of young but high pedigree Tackles tomorrow ( Monroe, Britton).

cutthemdown
09-12-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm going to pick Brian Dawkins. With Bailey and Goodman outside I think Garrard will try and throw deep down the middle of the field. Dawkins goes crazy with a pick and a couple huge hits on 3rd down.

strafen
09-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Special Teams will be huge for us, and perhaps the difference in the game

SonOfLe-loLang
09-12-2010, 02:04 AM

For what its worth, it appeared that the Broncos made a concerted effort to throw the ball downfield this preseason. While there were screens, there were certainly less of them.

cutthemdown
09-12-2010, 04:12 AM
Ortons YPA last yr misleading because Marshall grabbed 100 balls and is best in the league at YAC.

I think Orton will throw further down the field this yr but maybe not increase his YPA. Just different WR core this yr.

broncocalijohn
09-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Special Teams will be huge for us, and perhaps the difference in the game

LOL! You fail everytime. Even when you are trying to be good fan, you are wrong. This was the worst of the game. Surprised you didnt say McBean also.