PDA

View Full Version : Cutler:Here we go again!!!

vanbrugh
09-10-2010, 06:38 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/2693306,CST-SPT-cutler10.article

Time for Cutler to start a new chapter
With Cutler's Denver days now a memory, Martz says Bears QB 'can be an elite player'
Comments

September 10, 2010
BY SEAN JENSEN sjensen@suntimes.com
In February and March after he had accepted the Bears' offer to become the offensive coordinator, Mike Martz reveled in a regular sight as he drove the winding road toward the players' and coaches' lot at Halas Hall.

Among ordinary trucks and cars, a white, military-stylized SUV stood out, not only because of its look but also because of its owner.

RELATED STORIES
'10 FOR BETTER, OR FOR WORSE
'10 FOR BETTER, OR FOR WORSE
Quarterback Jay Cutler -- determined to get a handle on Martz's new offense before the team's first minicamp -- was a fixture at the team headquarters, including on Fridays when players rarely show up.

''During the offseason, I'm generally here by 7 a.m., and he was always here,'' Martz said. ''He was in here early, and he would stay late. You knew he was talented, but I fully began to appreciate how competitive he is and how important winning is to him.''

Much has been made of the Cutler-Martz pairing, with each man's respective stock slumping after successes. There is a skepticism, based largely on their turbulent track records, that the two can coexist and kindle an offense that ranked 23rd last year.

For Cutler, the last 17 months have been a whirlwind: the drama in Denver, the trade from the Broncos to the Bears and the league-high 26 interceptions and mediocre 7-9 record.

Yet Cutler embraces all of his collateral challenges because of something essential to him:

Trust.

''That's one of the things me and Mike talked about when he first got here was trust,'' Cutler told the Sun-Times. ''I just didn't feel I could trust Josh.''

Denver divorce
Josh, of course, is Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. He was hired in January 2009 after the surprising ouster of longtime coach Mike Shanahan, with whom Cutler was close.

Along with Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway, Shanahan led the Broncos to two Super Bowl titles, and he handpicked Cutler with the 11th overall selection in the 2006 NFL draft. Cutler embraced the Elway anecdotes and football insights Shanahan shared with him.

''He set the wheels in motion,'' Cutler said of his transition to the NFL.

Naturally, Cutler was devastated when Shanahan was fired. But he was somewhat comforted because the Broncos' brass told him they would retain most of the offensive coaching staff, including coordinator Jeremy Bates.

Then McDaniels, the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator from 2006 to 2008, was hired to replace Shanahan. He overhauled the Broncos' staff and, in late February, ESPN reported that he actively attempted to trade for Patriots backup quarterback Matt Cassel.

''I wasn't his guy, and he told me I wasn't his guy when he got hired,'' Cutler said. ''He had totally different intentions, which is fine. I understood that.''

What Cutler didn't understand was McDaniels' reluctance to own up to the trade talks when the quarterback called to ask his new coach about the rumors.

''He acted like he had no idea what I was talking about,'' Cutler said. ''Then it took him two or three days to finally admit that he tried to trade me.''

Even before a scheduled March 14 meeting -- one that included Cutler; his agent, Bus Cook; McDaniels, and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders -- the young quarterback was encouraged enough that he shipped his belongings from Nashville to Denver. But during the meeting, Cutler was put off by McDaniels' message: Any player, including Cutler, could be traded at any time.

''By that point, I was like, 'You know what? Just trade me now,''' Cutler recalled. '''I mean, just do it now. Let's get it over with.'''

McDaniels, through the Broncos, declined to comment for this story.

On April 2, Cutler was officially traded, along with a fifth-round pick, to the Bears for veteran quarterback Kyle Orton, two first-round picks and a third-rounder.

Fresh start
After doing his due diligence, Bears coach Lovie Smith focused on Cutler's future, not his past. The two immediately went out to dinner, and Smith spelled out what he expected of Cutler and what Cutler could expect of him.

'''Hey, Jay, this is how it'll be,''' Smith recalled. '''Off the field, expect this from me.' I wasn't really interested in what happened in other places, to be truthful. Once he became a Chicago Bear, I never looked back on anything, and we haven't.''

Smith said trust is ''what our program is built on. Guys trusting us, and us trusting them.''

Despite Cutler's struggles -- his passer rating of 76.8 was 21st in the NFL -- Smith said he was encouraged by his quarterback's resilience and refusal to blame others. Cutler shouldered the blame last season, refusing to publicly rip his offensive line, his offensive coordinator or his young receivers.

''He handled it with class,'' Bears six-time Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz said. ''That's the kind of guy he is.''

Cutler was ''hailed as a savior,'' Kreutz said, yet he didn't tank when the team struggled.

''He just stuck with the team and led us through the whole thing,'' Kreutz said, noting they won the final two games. ''I think he really showed his leadership there, when most guys could have packed it in. He kept us all working and moving forward.''

Smith and Martz are confident that the 27-year-old quarterback can regain his Pro Bowl form of 2008.

''I feel very good about that,'' Martz said. ''He can be an elite player. He's certainly got elite talent, and we have to do our part around him. We have to do a good job of coaching him, and we have to do a good job at all the other positions to allow him to function at that position.''

Many men have taken a turn in the revolving door that is the Bears' starting quarterback. But Kreutz said the team finally has found its man.

''I've been through a lot of other guys, and Jay is head and shoulders above everybody else, so I'm very confident in Jay and happy to have him here,'' said Kreutz, who is in his 13th season with the Bears. ''I don't think Chicago or the Bears can lose in getting Jay Cutler. When you get a quarterback of that caliber, people are falling over themselves to get a guy like that.''

Mogulseeker
09-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Should we post the 100 post rule on the front page of the website?

jhns
09-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Well he regressed a ton last season. They better hope they really have him in a much better situation this year.

Steve Sewell
09-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Well he regressed a ton last season. They better hope they really have him in a much better situation this year.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/41/uZiF9.jpg

jhns
09-10-2010, 06:55 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/41/uZiF9.jpg

I am offended by the image that doesn't show up. The little blue computer thing in a box just gets me so mad.

_Oro_
09-10-2010, 06:58 AM
There's soo many gems in here , but here's one:

''He handled it with class,'' Bears six-time Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz said. ''That's the kind of guy he is.''

Beantown Bronco
09-10-2010, 07:01 AM
''I wasn't his guy, and he told me I wasn't his guy when he got hired,'' Cutler said. ''He had totally different intentions, which is fine. I understood that.''

Odd. There are about 10 McD quotes back when the sh*t originally hit the fan which state the exact opposite, which Cutler never denied. Now he's doing a complete 180. I wonder if he has lied to himself so much about the whole situation that he actually really believes what he's now saying.

Man-Goblin
09-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Mopey Dick.

Kaylore
09-10-2010, 07:06 AM
ROFL! He's still butthurt. I didn't originally, but I think I now agree it's Shanahan's fault for treating him differently. McDaniels treats all his players the same: He's critical of them and never satisfied. Cutler was coddled and when Jay saw the change he assumed McDaniels didn't like him and got butt hurt. Cutler is a very sensitive girl. Look at the the girlish grudges he holds ie Rivers.

Rabb
09-10-2010, 07:09 AM
who cares

outdoor_miner
09-10-2010, 07:16 AM
who cares

haha - I finally feel the same way. After a year and a half of arguing and hand-wringing, I finally don't care what this idiot (or anyone else) says on the topic. Hooray for me!

Man-Goblin
09-10-2010, 07:22 AM
who cares

Actually, I think it would be pretty cool to hear McDaniels finally light up Baby Jay. I know he has a verbal onslaught of epic proportions in his mind somewhere, especially if Jay is lying about being told he wasn't Josh's guy from day 1.

I'm sure McDaniels is probably too busy in preparation to have heard, or give a **** about Jay Cutler right now. But who knows, maybe some reporter can catch him on the right day.

Smiling Assassin27
09-10-2010, 07:24 AM
who cares

+1

man, this guy's long gone. he's now as irrelevant in denver as david kircus or adrian madise. in short, he is dead to me. why he took up the front page of this site for an entire summer is beyond me.

move the f*** on.

jhns
09-10-2010, 07:24 AM
ROFL! He's still butthurt. I didn't originally, but I think I now agree it's Shanahan's fault for treating him differently. McDaniels treats all his players the same: He's critical of them and never satisfied. Cutler was coddled and when Jay saw the change he assumed McDaniels didn't like him and got butt hurt. Cutler is a very sensitive girl. Look at the the girlish grudges he holds ie Rivers.

Which is the same thing you girls have been doing since he left. You would get along great with Cutler.

Missouribronc
09-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Which is the same thing you girls have been doing since he left. You would get along great with Cutler.

Your man crush is showing.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-10-2010, 07:29 AM

Cutler was ''hailed as a savior,'' Kreutz said, yet he didn't tank when the team struggled.

''He just stuck with the team and led us through the whole thing,'' Kreutz said, noting they won the final two games. ''I think he really showed his leadership there, when most guys could have packed it in. He kept us all working and moving forward.''

http://i.imgur.com/df85j.gif

Man-Goblin
09-10-2010, 07:35 AM
LOL @ chicks taking watermelons to the face.

Rabb
09-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Actually, I think it would be pretty cool to hear McDaniels finally light up Baby Jay. I know he has a verbal onslaught of epic proportions in his mind somewhere, especially if Jay is lying about being told he wasn't Josh's guy from day 1.

I'm sure McDaniels is probably too busy in preparation to have heard, or give a **** about Jay Cutler right now. But who knows, maybe some reporter can catch him on the right day.

oh I am with you there, I just think our coach will let the future show who made the right call here

Jay could have had his game taken to the next level if he had half of the humility and drive Orton has

I just don't personally care what Cutler does or says whether it is good or bad

The Joker
09-10-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm so happy that this miserable little whining gimp is no longer the chubby face of our great franchise.

BroncoBuff
09-10-2010, 07:47 AM
I wonder what Martz really thinks?

He's not the most popular guy either.

Man-Goblin
09-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I wonder what Martz really thinks?

He's not the most popular guy either.

I heard that Martz got the job because he and Jay met at a League of Douchebags convention and they really hit it off. True story.

go_broncos
09-10-2010, 07:57 AM
My small kid is more mature than Cutler..I am glad that he is not our QB.

Gort
09-10-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm so happy that this miserable little whining gimp is no longer the chubby face of our great franchise.

i hear they're working on a special new helmet for the Frown Cannon.

it will have 2 chinstraps.

:welcome:

bombquixote
09-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Mopey Dick.

Yeah. And yet I still root for him to do well.

mkporter
09-10-2010, 08:03 AM

This.

Borks147
09-10-2010, 08:03 AM
My small kid is more mature than Cutler..I am glad that he is not our QB.

Kyle Orton's left nut is more mature than Cutler..I am glad that he is our QB.

Rohirrim
09-10-2010, 08:05 AM
NEWSFLASH:

Cutler is still an emo pussy.

Rohirrim
09-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Speaking of emo pussies. Ha!

kamakazi_kal
09-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Who gives a **** about Cutler .......... Why nobody can let it go is beyond me. The last thing that had to do with Cutler on this team just got traded away.

jhns
09-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Speaking of emo pussies. Ha!

Says the uneducated little girl.

Smiling Assassin27
09-10-2010, 08:12 AM

I gotta second that emotion. How do you get Myoplex out of a keyboard again?

Rohirrim
09-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Using my comprehensive computer skills, I was able to locate a pic of jhns:

http://www.men-hairstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/hairstyle-Justin_Bieber.jpg

No wonder he's Cutler's biatch. ;D

Smiling Assassin27
09-10-2010, 08:18 AM

http://www.men-hairstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/hairstyle-Justin_Bieber.jpg

oh, look Fred, she's got her boobies...

kamakazi_kal
09-10-2010, 08:18 AM

The world is for sure ..... coming to an end in 2012. This little suckass is the first sign of it /b/

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Well, I can understand Jay being a little butthurt at the time. He thought he was the man, and Josh apparently didn't give him that vibe.

I guess it was an accumulation of factors that soured Jay on Denver, and he might have manipulated the situation some to get out of Denver, maybe blew the trade talks a little out of proportion in order to get a ticket out of a situation he didn't feel comfortable in.

It just wasn't meant to be, and I'm fine with that. I was getting pretty disgusted with Jay by the end of 2008. And I bet Jay and McD would have been butting heads all year.

Jay was NOT gonna put it behind him, and as you said after being coddled by Shanny, not getting called out for his mistakes, Jay wanted to be in a situation where he was the golden child again. Jay saw a trade and a fresh start as his way into that situation again I think, and the trade to Chicago certainly provided that situation for him.

broncofan2438
We are going to continue to get Cutler articles posted in here until .....well....im sure well always get some stupid article posted about him. Bottom line is he is gone, and Im sure half of us wouldnt mind seeing him fail in Chicago. That O-Line will get him killed this year playing Su twice a year.

jhns

Thanks for proving my point.

chawknz
09-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Even more proof the Broncos did the right thing in trading away this scrub.

Man-Goblin
09-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Even more proof the Broncos did the right thing in trading away this scrub.

I don't want no scrub...

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 08:24 AM

Man, that is just cruel.

Los Broncos
09-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Ya'll just a bunch of haters, leave him alone!

baja
09-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I hope Jay figures out what he needs to figure out and has a good NFL career.

Go Broncos

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 08:33 AM
We are going to continue to get Cutler articles posted in here until .....well....im sure well always get some stupid article posted about him. Bottom line is he is gone, and Im sure half of us wouldnt mind seeing him fail in Chicago. That O-Line will get him killed this year playing Su twice a year.

People still talk about the Elway/Maddox/Reeves/Shanahan situation from 1990-91, so obviously this will still be a topic in 2030.

Missouribronc
09-10-2010, 08:33 AM
People still talk about the Elway/Maddox/Reeves/Shanahan situation from 1990-91, so obviously this will still be a topic in 2030.

Definitely should have stuck with Maddox. That dude was gold. :afro:

gyldenlove
09-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Pure pwnage!

mj1569
09-10-2010, 08:58 AM
I have never understood all the hate and discontent that Broncos fans have for Jay Cutler. I for one was a huge Cutler fan when he was here and still pull for the guy to do well. Prior to the 06 draft I was hoping that Shannahan would try to draft Cutler and when he did I figured QB was the one position that we would not have to worry about for years to come. I was never really a Plummer fan and felt for the first time in several years that if the game was close in the 4th quarter that Cutler always gave us a chance to win the game.

I was shocked when Shannahan was fired. I felt a change was needed but would have rather seen Shannahan stripped of his GM duties and concentrate on coaching, but oh well. When McDaniels was hired I was optimistic initially that Cutler could continue his path to the next level in the NE system. We had a great offense at the time. When the Cutler trade rumors surfaced I was pissed. I couldn't believe that McDaniels would rather have Cassel rather than Cutler.

As the story continued I read every article I could on the situation to try and read between the lines to figure out what was going on. I truly believe that Josh started the Cutler mess and is the main one to blame for the whole mess. I never saw Cutler as a baby. I could understand his reaction that he had when his new boss lied to his face. I think that we would all feel a little hurt or upset that if you got a new boss at work and found out second hand that he wanted to replace you and when you asked him he lied to your face.
I believe that Jay's side of the story is fairly accurate to what I believe was going on last year from reading between the lines. I realize that there is more to the story that we may never know, but I truly believe that McDaniels handled the whole situation poorly and was the catalyst of the whole Cutler debacle. Just my opinion.

Don't take this as a McDaniels bashing post because it isn't. I truly hope that Josh is our coach for years to come and that he takes us to a super bowl in the near future. If Josh were to be fired in the next couple years I believe that the Broncos would be set back for years to come and all we have endured with the changes to the organization would be for not.

I am not afraid to admit that I liked Cutler and still root for the guy. Go Broncos!!!

baja
09-10-2010, 09:06 AM
I have never understood all the hate and discontent that Broncos fans have for Jay Cutler. I for one was a huge Cutler fan when he was here and still pull for the guy to do well. Prior to the 06 draft I was hoping that Shannahan would try to draft Cutler and when he did I figured QB was the one position that we would not have to worry about for years to come. I was never really a Plummer fan and felt for the first time in several years that if the game was close in the 4th quarter that Cutler always gave us a chance to win the game.

I was shocked when Shannahan was fired. I felt a change was needed but would have rather seen Shannahan stripped of his GM duties and concentrate on coaching, but oh well. When McDaniels was hired I was optimistic initially that Cutler could continue his path to the next level in the NE system. We had a great offense at the time. When the Cutler trade rumors surfaced I was pissed. I couldn't believe that McDaniels would rather have Cassel rather than Cutler.

As the story continued I read every article I could on the situation to try and read between the lines to figure out what was going on. I truly believe that Josh started the Cutler mess and is the main one to blame for the whole mess. I never saw Cutler as a baby. I could understand his reaction that he had when his new boss lied to his face. I think that we would all feel a little hurt or upset that if you got a new boss at work and found out second hand that he wanted to replace you and when you asked him he lied to your face.
I believe that Jay's side of the story is fairly accurate to what I believe was going on last year from reading between the lines. I realize that there is more to the story that we may never know, but I truly believe that McDaniels handled the whole situation poorly and was the catalyst of the whole Cutler debacle. Just my opinion.

Don't take this as a McDaniels bashing post because it isn't. I truly hope that Josh is our coach for years to come and that he takes us to a super bowl in the near future. If Josh were to be fired in the next couple years I believe that the Broncos would be set back for years to come and all we have endured with the changes to the organization would be for not.

I am not afraid to admit that I liked Cutler and still root for the guy. Go Broncos!!!

Excellent post welcome to the OM keep posting we need guys like you around here.

Let me start you out with some positive rep. It's a pleasure to read a well thought out post even if I do not agree entirely with it's point of view.

crush17
09-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Bro I saw that on Sports Center this morning and about died... so awesome

orangemonkey
09-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Great post. Completely agree with this. Like Bowlen said after the debacle, both guys made mistakes. Both were whiny biatches and both now have a lot to prove. Still believe McD was deceptive but not surprised since deception and cheating was status quo in New England.

Steve Sewell
09-10-2010, 09:26 AM

If Cutler was the great guy that you claim he is, the story posted by the OP would have never come out.

The End.

OABB
09-10-2010, 09:30 AM
If Cutler was the great guy that you claim he is, the story posted by the OP would have never come out.

The End.

agreed. Also didn't jay say he never wanted to be traded when interviewed at that fight? So reading between the lines only works if its pro cutler?

Captain 'Dre
09-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Says the uneducated little girl.

You're like a cross between Eeyore and Yosemite Sam! Ha!

Br0nc0Buster
09-10-2010, 09:57 AM
You're like a cross between Eeyore and Yosemite Sam! Ha!

and rainman

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Eh, those two were just not going to get along from the get go. McD didn't like Jay, and Jay didn't like McD. They kind of circled around each other, both probably hoping the other would f up enough where they could part ways - and win the PR battle also.

It was not a marriage made in heaven from the start, and best for both that both f'd up enough to where they parted ways.

The PR battle still rages. :wiggle:

Rohirrim
09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Shanahan was feeding Cutler puppy chow.

When Josh came in, he told Cutler it was time to switch to the dog chow.

So Jay **** on the carpet.

And Josh sent him back to the Dumb Friends League.

ColoradoDarin
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
What I learned from this article - Jay Cutler is a liar (known already), and he can't even tell himself the truth (new).

baja
09-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Shanahan was feeding Cutler puppy chow.

When Josh came in, he told Cutler it was time to switch to the dog chow.

So Jay **** on the carpet.

And Josh sent him back to the Dumb Friends League.

LOL best summation ever.

bowtown
09-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Cutler is a 1st class douche. I loved that guy, wore his jersey proudly. Then he stopped answering phone calls like a 14 year-old girl, put his house up for sale and had his daddy turn in his playbook. I don't care how badly your feelings get hurt by your new coach or how much McDaniels is to blame, put on your pants and act like a man. Throughout his career, Cutler has a record of throwing other people under the bus, and he is also clearly willing to lie to make that happen. My last straw with Jay, was when he arrived in Chicago and then promptly turned around and unecessarily sucker punched the fans of Denver. You can call me a scorned lover if you want. I despise that guy and wish him nothing but INTs for years to come.

go_broncos
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Cutler is a 1st class douche. I loved that guy, wore his jersey proudly. Then he stopped answering phone calls like a 14 year-old girl, put his house up for sale and had his daddy turn in his playbook. I don't care how badly your feelings get hurt by your new coach or how much McDaniels is to blame, put on your pants and act like a man. Throughout his career, Cutler has a record of throwing other people under the bus, and he is also clearly willing to lie to make that happen. My last straw with Jay, was when he arrived in Chicago and then promptly turned around and unecessarily sucker punched the fans of Denver. You can call me a scorned lover if you want. I despise that guy and wish him nothing but INTs for years to come.

There is a rumor that Cutler caused Ron Turner to get fired.
Bears GM and owner called Cutler for his opinion and he told negative about Turner.
I also heard that he didn't want Bulger as he didn't want any competition.
We should all be glad that he no longer is the QB for Broncos(Thanks to Mcd).

FantomForce
09-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Green jacket gold jacket who gives a s***

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Jay Cutler is a fag.

/thread

Los Broncos
09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Jay Cutler is a fag.

/thread

He isn't gay he is just in touch with his feelings.

Leave him alone!

Florida_Bronco
09-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Odd. There are about 10 McD quotes back when the sh*t originally hit the fan which state the exact opposite, which Cutler never denied. Now he's doing a complete 180. I wonder if he has lied to himself so much about the whole situation that he actually really believes what he's now saying.

Not too mention that when this initially went down, his very first interview he said something along the lines of "I haven't talked to them, and I don't want to" and now it's "Josh acted like he had no idea when I called him".

Beantown Bronco
09-10-2010, 11:12 AM
and rainman

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMpsttlXye8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMpsttlXye8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Drek
09-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Great.

I never wanted Cutler on the team and pulled for him because Shanahan was the "mastermind" and felt like he needed the guy. Drafting Cutler and then treating him like his favorite son from day one was the straw that broke the camel's back for me having any faith in Shanahan getting us back to the winner's circle as the Broncos HC.

I said on here before that draft and I still believe to this day that the best move was signing David Garrard as a free agent away from the Jags (back when they still had him backing up Leftwich) and used our early 1st to grab Haloti Ngata. The big, powerful DL we've been missing for so long.

Instead we went for the sizzle move of adding a new QB. Haloti Ngata is arguably the best DL in the entire NFL and we've changed coaches, QBs, etc..

The primary attribute that you can best use to describe Shanahan's final years here is hypocrisy. The coach who always preached camp competition and positional battles stopped believing in them. The crowning moment in that hypocritical charade was when he used a top 15 pick on a QB after Plummer had taken us to the AFC Championship. Jake Plummer didn't choke up under the pressure, he just gave up because he knew no matter what he did Shanahan was replacing him with the new pet as soon as he could do it without totally losing the locker room.

HEAV
09-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Fruck Jay Cutler!

Dagmar
09-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Excellent post. For all of those defending him to the hilt please respond with your excuses?

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Not too mention that when this initially went down, his very first interview he said something along the lines of "I haven't talked to them, and I don't want to" and now it's "Josh acted like he had no idea when I called him".

Good point.

Florida_Bronco
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Good point.

Yep. Just more Jay Cutler lies. Requested to be traded TWICE in Denver, then goes to Chicago and says "I never wanted to be traded".

Whatever douchebag. Get the **** out of Denver. Chicago can have your sorry ass.

baja
09-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Great.

I never wanted Cutler on the team and pulled for him because Shanahan was the "mastermind" and felt like he needed the guy. Drafting Cutler and then treating him like his favorite son from day one was the straw that broke the camel's back for me having any faith in Shanahan getting us back to the winner's circle as the Broncos HC.

I said on here before that draft and I still believe to this day that the best move was signing David Garrard as a free agent away from the Jags (back when they still had him backing up Leftwich) and used our early 1st to grab Haloti Ngata. The big, powerful DL we've been missing for so long.

Instead we went for the sizzle move of adding a new QB. Haloti Ngata is arguably the best DL in the entire NFL and we've changed coaches, QBs, etc..

The primary attribute that you can best use to describe Shanahan's final years here is hypocrisy. The coach who always preached camp competition and positional battles stopped believing in them. The crowning moment in that hypocritical charade was when he used a top 15 pick on a QB after Plummer had taken us to the AFC Championship. Jake Plummer didn't choke up under the pressure, he just gave up because he knew no matter what he did Shanahan was replacing him with the new pet as soon as he could do it without totally losing the locker room.

That's a great point about why Plummer was looking over his shoulder his last year. Hypocrisy is a excellent choice of an adjective for Mike's last years here. I have always felt the had lost the locker room when he benched Plummer but It think you are right it started when he drafted Jay.

Imagine calling Bowlen a gutless drunk for finally pulling the plug on Mike .

mj1569
09-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Excellent post. For all of those defending him to the hilt please respond with your excuses?

Well first off I don't think I ever called Jay Cutler a great guy. I've never met him and he may well be a huge a** hole. My original post was about all the hate and discontent over Cutler on these fan sites. Like I said earlier I read everything I could find while this was going on last February and March. From what I've read while on these fan sites is almost always negative and calling him a cry baby and blaming him for the whole ordeal. In a way I guess you can say I am defending Cutler but I see it as trying to get people to look at what was reported and make up their own mind and not just jump on the Cutler bashing band wagon because you read some else's opinion and take it as fact. Cutler didn't handle the situation perfectly but neither did the Broncos.

When the story broke at the end of February 2009 it was reported that Denver was involved in a 3 way trade with Tampa Bay and NE in which Denver would aquire Matt Cassel. Cutler heard about it and when he contacted the Broncos was told it never happened. McDaniels would later tell the media that the Broncos never wanted to trade Cutler but had had been approached and listened to inquiries about the trade.

McDaniels was also quoted as saying "We don't want to trade Jay," McDaniels said. "We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team." Jay's response to the media was Ive heard the rumors. I know what theyre trying to do. Even though I love Denver and Id love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it. I guess that could of been the first trade request.

Cutler stated that he texted back and forth with McDaniels over the next couple of weeks and had a conference call which evolved into the face to face sit down meeting with McDaniels and Xanders. The Broncos give a different account saying that Cutler did not return messages. Who's right? We'll never know.

During the meeting Jay's side of the story was "I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco," Cutler said. "We weren't in there but about 20 minutes, [McDaniels] did most of the talking and as far as I'm concerned, he made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it. He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he'll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization. "At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can't work this out, to let him know," Cutler added. "I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco. Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. After the meeting Cutler told the media he did ask for a trade which eventually occured a couple of weeks later.

Now I agree the whole situation was handled poorly by Cutler, Mr. Bowlen (who could of intervened at any time but didn't) and especially McDaniels. Of course we will never know the whole truth. From what I've learned in life is that each side has their version of the story and the real truth lies somewhere in the middle. I believe that Jay wanted to be a Bronco but couldn't ever get over McDaniel's perceived betrayal.

Again, I want to reiterate that I am 100% behind Josh McDaniels and the 2010 Broncos. I believe Kyle Orton will have a great year and am excited for the future with McDaniels as our coach. But a little part of me wonders what could have been if he didn't try to get Cassel and Cutler was still here.

_Oro_
09-10-2010, 05:59 PM
It's weird to me to say "I don't understand why people hate on Jay Cutler". He threw tons of ints, threw teammates under the bus, hell he even threw the fans under the bus.

baja
09-10-2010, 06:01 PM
It's weird to me to say "I don't understand why people hate on Jay Cutler". He threw tons of ints, threw teammates under the bus, hell he even threw the fans under the bus.

But he can throw the ball further than Elway

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/ribbons/redskins_rib.gif

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-10-2010, 06:17 PM

It's not a lie... if you believe it.

http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/jalexander_375x375.jpg

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Well first off I don't think I ever called Jay Cutler a great guy. I've never met him and he may well be a huge a** hole. My original post was about all the hate and discontent over Cutler on these fan sites. Like I said earlier I read everything I could find while this was going on last February and March. From what I've read while on these fan sites is almost always negative and calling him a cry baby and blaming him for the whole ordeal. In a way I guess you can say I am defending Cutler but I see it as trying to get people to look at what was reported and make up their own mind and not just jump on the Cutler bashing band wagon because you read some else's opinion and take it as fact. Cutler didn't handle the situation perfectly but neither did the Broncos.

When the story broke at the end of February 2009 it was reported that Denver was involved in a 3 way trade with Tampa Bay and NE in which Denver would aquire Matt Cassel. Cutler heard about it and when he contacted the Broncos was told it never happened. McDaniels would later tell the media that the Broncos never wanted to trade Cutler but had had been approached and listened to inquiries about the trade.

McDaniels was also quoted as saying "We don't want to trade Jay," McDaniels said. "We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team." Jay's response to the media was Ive heard the rumors. I know what theyre trying to do. Even though I love Denver and Id love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it. I guess that could of been the first trade request.

Cutler stated that he texted back and forth with McDaniels over the next couple of weeks and had a conference call which evolved into the face to face sit down meeting with McDaniels and Xanders. The Broncos give a different account saying that Cutler did not return messages. Who's right? We'll never know.

During the meeting Jay's side of the story was "I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco," Cutler said. "We weren't in there but about 20 minutes, [McDaniels] did most of the talking and as far as I'm concerned, he made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it. He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he'll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization. "At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can't work this out, to let him know," Cutler added. "I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco. Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. After the meeting Cutler told the media he did ask for a trade which eventually occured a couple of weeks later.

Now I agree the whole situation was handled poorly by Cutler, Mr. Bowlen (who could of intervened at any time but didn't) and especially McDaniels. Of course we will never know the whole truth. From what I've learned in life is that each side has their version of the story and the real truth lies somewhere in the middle. I believe that Jay wanted to be a Bronco but couldn't ever get over McDaniel's perceived betrayal.

Again, I want to reiterate that I am 100% behind Josh McDaniels and the 2010 Broncos. I believe Kyle Orton will have a great year and am excited for the future with McDaniels as our coach. But a little part of me wonders what could have been if he didn't try to get Cassel and Cutler was still here.

I'll say again those two were not gonna get along from the get go, so it's best they parted ways.

Jay does not accept coaching. Jay thinks he is the king.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Great.

An excellent post. Really great, top to bottom.

Not only did he use a top 15 pick, he used TWO first round picks to move up and select Cutler when he could have drafted TWO impact defensive players and made that 2006 team an absolute force.

He traded it in for what was behind door number two and came away with a tee shirt and nothing else.

vanbrugh
09-10-2010, 06:51 PM
You have to ask why Jay feels the need to bring up something he said he has moved on from!

Pony Boy
09-10-2010, 07:05 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMQ6LfyA-0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMQ6LfyA-0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Drek
09-10-2010, 07:06 PM
You have to ask why Jay feels the need to bring up something he said he has moved on from!

I'm guessing because now with hindsight being 20/20 he realizes that McDaniels was the coach he needed all along to take his play to the next level.

Cutler has an amazing arm and great overall athleticism. He's got a knack for making big plays. His biggest problem is that he doesn't make good pre-snap reads and is mediocre at best at reading a defense and going through his progressions after the snap. As a result he locks onto his favorite WRs and forces balls to them in double or triple coverage, trying to rely on his arm to get things done.

McDaniels taught Matt Cassell, a guy who saw more action at WR, TE, and HB than QB in college, how to read defenses. You give those tools to Cutler and he could be something really special. Cutler let Cook sell him on a bill of goods (that Cutler was a finished product ready to take over the league) and deserving of a big new deal. They tried to strong arm the new coach into giving them one and when he refused they took their show on the road to get it somewhere else.

Now Cutler's got the money and the "franchise QB" moniker but lacks the ability to live up to it. Meanwhile he sees Doom getting extended, Orton getting an extra year tacked onto his deal, and now Champ very possibly getting a new deal. Its becoming quite clear that the guys who bought into the philosophy change around Dove Valley are now all getting paid like they deserve. He could have been one of them and had his game taken to the next level. But he couldn't wait and bought what Bus Cook was selling. Now he gets to live with that reality.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-10-2010, 07:27 PM

He should really move on.

~Crash~
09-10-2010, 07:53 PM
shall I pull up love fest by you bitchas for Cutler ?

Drek
09-10-2010, 08:14 PM
shall I pull up love fest by you b****as for Cutler ?

Feel free. I said before the '08 season was even over that I'd take Matt Ryan (a rookie at the time) over Cutler without hesitation, and that I was close to feeling the same way on Flacco.

I pulled for Cutler with everyone else when Shanahan was selling him as the franchise savior, despite hoping and praying our move up was to secure Ngata on draft day. But the more he played the more you could see that he was never going to change into the kind of cerebral QB you need in the NFL today and that he would always play his worst football in our biggest games.

I'm quite happy that he was moved for a king's ransom. I just find the number of people who still buy into the twisted version of the "truth" that Cutler and Cook were selling to get out of town damn impressive. That level of hero worship is something I've never had for an athlete (Elway and TD included).

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Feel free. I said before the '08 season was even over that I'd take Matt Ryan (a rookie at the time) over Cutler without hesitation, and that I was close to feeling the same way on Flacco.

I pulled for Cutler with everyone else when Shanahan was selling him as the franchise savior, despite hoping and praying our move up was to secure Ngata on draft day. But the more he played the more you could see that he was never going to change into the kind of cerebral QB you need in the NFL today and that he would always play his worst football in our biggest games.

I'm quite happy that he was moved for a king's ransom. I just find the number of people who still buy into the twisted version of the "truth" that Cutler and Cook were selling to get out of town damn impressive. That level of hero worship is something I've never had for an athlete (Elway and TD included).

What about Hillis? That guy was Bill Braskey around here...

baja
09-10-2010, 09:07 PM
LOL

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-threw-Jay-Cutler-s-diabetes-monit?urn=nfl-139247

TheReverend
09-10-2010, 09:45 PM

Repped for obscure Bill Braskey reference.

Archer81
09-10-2010, 09:46 PM
...in all honesty who cares anymore? Cutler is a bear, where he is about to get another HC canned.

Time for Bronco nation to let it go.

:Broncos:

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
09-10-2010, 09:59 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMQ6LfyA-0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMQ6LfyA-0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
but as you can see her head tilted back and to the left and the cameraman found the magic melon in pristine condition and people reported a second melon fired from the grassy knoll

SouthStndJunkie
09-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Here it is....hours before the season opener and the 2 of the first 5 threads involve Jay Cutler.

DivineBronco
09-10-2010, 11:00 PM
for some of us it comes down to a simple thing. It is really fun to have another villain, sure the other AFC west teams fill that role but it gives me another reason to care about a game that doesn't have direct Bronco implications or that does not matter for fantasy that week.

~Crash~
09-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Here it is....hours before the season opener and the 2 of the first 5 threads involve Jay Cutler.

that is why I was telling them to shut the **** up it just Jinx the team we have hate sucks up all luck

~Crash~
09-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't get hating any Ex Bronco except Dale ****ing Carter .

orange&blue87
09-11-2010, 12:19 AM

Kennison?

Drek
09-11-2010, 04:59 AM

If Hillis had a brain bigger than a walnut he'd have been the Kevin Faulk 2.0 in this offense. A do anything #2 back who gets 5-10 carries a game and 5-10 receptions a game on his way to 100 total yards of offensive production.

Instead after a whole training camp with McDaniels' offense he still didn't know how to line up or his pass pro assignments. Great potential squandered because he couldn't see the whole picture.

BroncoDoug
09-11-2010, 05:10 AM

Well thats an improvement over last year when 5 of 5 threads were probably about Cutler... Maybe next year we'll be done with it.

Rabb
09-11-2010, 07:24 AM

yeah he is maybe the worst

Javon is right up there for me also

Hamrob
09-11-2010, 08:16 AM
What's done is done. But, any so-called franchise QB is going to get coddled. Don't fool yourselves if you think otherwise. McD didn't want or for that matter need Jay Cutler. JC doesn't exactly match McD's offense. The only real problem to the equation is...when you trade a kid with the talent that Cutler has...you better get something really fantastic in return. Hey, we got 2 1st's and a 3rd. So, for now, it's tough to say whether this was a smart move or a totally ignorant move. We'll have to continue to watch it to really know. Let's say Cutler takes the Bears to the playoffs and earns a probowl birth while McD ends up getting fired. If that happens, McD will be remembered for being one of the biggest busts in history. If that scenario is flipped and Cutler continues to suck and McD gets the broncos in the playoffs...he'll look brilliant.

Hamrob
09-11-2010, 08:18 AM
If Hillis had a brain bigger than a walnut he'd have been the Kevin Faulk 2.0 in this offense. A do anything #2 back who gets 5-10 carries a game and 5-10 receptions a game on his way to 100 total yards of offensive production.

Instead after a whole training camp with McDaniels' offense he still didn't know how to line up or his pass pro assignments. Great potential squandered because he couldn't see the whole picture.Yeah brains are a big factor at the RB position...just ask O.J.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah brains are a big factor at the RB position...just ask O.J.

OJ is actually pretty damn intelligent. Intelligent people do stupid, violent **** all the time.

A better example would be Marshawn Lynch. Sweet fancy Moses, is that guy a retard.

As for Hillis, the point stands. When you can't remember the simple things that a running back has to remember, like standing in the right place, hitting this guy as opposed to that guy, going through hole X instead of hole Y... you've got problems.

WolfpackGuy
09-11-2010, 08:45 AM

Yeah, Carter was a turd.

But in his defense, Greg Robinson totally misused him by having him play zone so much.

Man-Goblin
09-11-2010, 09:56 AM
This Jay Cutler hate thread agrees with me.