PDA

View Full Version : RB Bandaid

azbroncfan
09-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Why not hit up the Bills for Marshawn Lynch? Seems to me they have moved on without him and he is still young and very good when healthy. He is kind of a thug sh*thead and that could knock his value down. It's worth a look at.

cmhargrove
09-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Why not hit up the Bills for Marshawn Lynch? Seems to me they have moved on without him and he is still young and very good when healthy. He is kind of a thug sh*thead and that could knock his value down. It's worth a look at.

We're a passing team this year, that's just the way it is. Our season rises and falls on the shoulder of Orton and pass protection.

jmz313
09-10-2010, 07:22 AM
RBs are getting healthy now. If theres another set back, i would imagine trades would be entertained. Prob a vet signing after week 1 is more probable.

kamakazi_kal
09-10-2010, 08:14 AM
We're a passing team this year, that's just the way it is. Our season rises and falls on the shoulder of Orton and pass protection.

Man I hate to be a downer but we were "passing" team last year and that didn't go so well. Ol Neckbeard is gonna have to get the ball deep allot more this year. Not doing that caught up with us in the second half of the season.

WE NEED production out of Moreno this year if we want to stay out of the bottom of this division.

Bronco Boy
09-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm guessing Lynch isn't a "team first" kind of player.

Rabb
09-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Man I hate to be a downer but we were "passing" team last year and that didn't go so well. Ol Neckbeard is gonna have to get the ball deep allot more this year. Not doing that caught up with us in the second half of the season.

WE NEED production out of Moreno this year if we want to stay out of the bottom of this division.

ok, then don't

Dedhed
09-10-2010, 08:50 AM

I think the difference is that last year we were a mediocre passing team, for a number of reasons.

This year I think we have the ability to be a good passing team, which will aid the running game.

Last year the box was stacked on nearly every down. I think the passing game this year has the ability to take advantage of that defensive tack, which will eventually lead to larger running lanes.

Popps
09-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Man I hate to be a downer

:spit:

Old Dude
09-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Nowadays everyone has to be a passing team. Every time the defensive coordinators come up with something to slow it down, the NFL passes a new rule to open it up again.

The running game is an afterthought and old hat - - unless you run against a team that simply can't stop it. (Like us down the stretch last year)

Rohirrim
09-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Nowadays everyone has to be a passing team. Every time the defensive coordinators come up with something to slow it down, the NFL passes a new rule to open it up again.

The running game is an afterthought and old hat - - unless you run against a team that simply can't stop it. (Like us down the stretch last year)

Did you watch the Saints in the second half against the Vikes last night? They were shoving it down their throat and Pierre Thomas was getting chunks of yards - and the Vikes are one of the better teams against the run. The difference was the Saints Oline is so damn good. No matter what the league does, you can't beat the running game for taking the steam out of your opposition while burning up the clock.

Old Dude
09-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Top rushing offenses 2009:

1. NY Giants .................did not make playoffs
2. Atlanta Falcons..........did not make playoffs
3. Carolina Panthers........did not make playoffs

29. Cincinnati Bengals.... won division
30. Detroit Lions............did not make playoffs
31. Indianapolis Colts......won AFC
32. Arizona Cardinals ......won division

Kaylore
09-10-2010, 10:49 AM

It's 2010 and the NFL is a new animal. Teams pass first and run second, defenses base is really their nickle, in the box safeties are a dying breed, fullbacks are all but extinct. Yes things have changed.

In regards to the first post, if Buckhalter is ok and they feel good about Knowshon's healing, I think we'll be ok with what we have.

Rohirrim
09-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Being a big fan of the running game I really dislike these kinds of stats. Maybe the league satisfies the entertainment only crowd, but if you aren't running the football, what game are you playing? Why not use a frisbee?

They've jumped the shark, IMO.

Bronco Boy
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
It used to be that teams would run the ball when they were in the lead (to run down the clock) so most of the top rushing teams would be good teams record-wise. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore though, teams are more inclined to just run short passes and hb screens to run out the clock.

"Establishing the run" always has been and probably always will be a totally made-up concept.

Old Dude
09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Just a few more notes: The Saints are a good running team, but in 2009, they led the league in passing offense.

Look at the 2007 Pats. 16-0 regular season. 1st in passing offense. Modest 13th in rushing.

From 2001-2008 our own Denver Broncos ranked in the top 10 rushing offenses every single year. (Often in the top 3) And we got how many playoff wins?

Old Dude
09-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Being a big fan of the running game I really dislike these kinds of stats. Maybe the league satisfies the entertainment only crowd, but if you aren't running the football, what game are you playing? Why not use a frisbee?

They've jumped the shark, IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just finally coming to the realization that they've changed the nature of the game.

Rohirrim
09-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just finally coming to the realization that they've changed the nature of the game.

No doubt about that. We're probably also seeing the last days of players like Polamalu and Dawkins and Atwater.

baja
09-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Could you un-post that

orange 4 life
09-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I think the difference is that last year we were a mediocre passing team, for a number of reasons.

This year I think we have the ability to be a good passing team, which will aid the running game.

Last year the box was stacked on nearly every down. I think the passing game this year has the ability to take advantage of that defensive tack, which will eventually lead to larger running lanes.

This.

Very well said.

broncosteven
09-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Teams that can control the LOS are the ones that are going to win. Like Rohrimm said the Aints just crammed the ball down the Vikings throats with 3 differnet backs to kill clock and win that game.

I like our chances if we can control the LOS vs Jags like the Aints did last night.

LRtagger
09-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Why run the ball when you can just chuck underthrown deep balls down the sidelines and 70% of the time get a PA call?

broncosteven
09-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Why run the ball when you can just chuck underthrown deep balls down the sidelines and 70% of the time get a PA call?

Because you can't score TD's off PA calls, you have to get the ball over the goal line in which case the best line wins.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Build a dominant offensive line, and it won't matter who is running the ball. Same applies for an injured and patchwork offensive line.

broncswin
09-10-2010, 10:05 PM
TRAVIS HENRY!! no

azbroncfan
09-11-2010, 01:53 AM

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2009&seasonType=REG
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2009&seasonType=REG
You got BS stats and I'll bet those are from the 2008 season which just goes against your argument. There are some moron fans that if they actually believe the running game has little value anymore. Sure there are a few exceptions to the rule but my guess is they have HOF qb's.

Atwater His Ass
09-11-2010, 03:39 AM

Awesome analysis..."we weren't good last year but we will be this year, I give no analysis as to why other than HOMER ON!"

I guess you could spray some pixie dust on it, but there's no reason to believe we're a better passing team this year than last year. Espcially considering we've lost arguably the best WR in the league.

You guys are laughable.

DivineLegion
09-11-2010, 04:03 AM
I don't think it matters what our offense does this season. Your 10' Broncos are going to live or die by the Defense.

Atwater His Ass
09-11-2010, 04:06 AM
I don't think it matters what our offense does this season. Your 10' Broncos are going to live or die by the Defense.

What do you base this on, other than a flying leap that sounds good before any regular season games have been played?

azbroncfan
09-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Could you un-post that

Why those are bogus stats and they are from the 2008 season and those top 3 teams were in the playoffs. The Cardinals and Colts have HOF QB's so yeah they threw the crap out of the ball.

Broncoman13
09-11-2010, 10:10 PM
So regarding Marshawn Lynch. We have a certiain RB coach that can reply vouch for Lynch. If we wanted Lynch we would have have made a move by now. I think there are some things there the coach is saying no we don't want that here! If you are going to breakdown what we have, throw your picks at Carolina for JStew. If that doesn't work, throw a trade over to the Rams way and role with Steven Jackson. Power, catches the ball well. Breaks open behind a horrid OL. He can come to Denver have the same issues with. A little btter passing offense and defense. Probably cost us a guy like Willis and 2nd. Perhaps a couple of 2nds.

baja
09-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I think Brown will be strong for us and he's listed a probable.