PDA

View Full Version : Bailey new contract?

MVP-06
09-09-2010, 02:40 PM
With Revis and now Woodson getting new deals done, do you think that it puts pressure on the Broncos to sign Bailey? Over the last seven years Champ has been a constant force on one side of the field and Denver has yet to find that other CB to compliment him. I think it's important that we sign him to a 3 year deal to allow some of these young DB's to develop. What are your guys thought regarding Champ? Does he retire a Bronco, or does he move on after this year? If he does move on how much will he be missed?

bombquixote
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't think we give Bailey Revis-type money. But we definitely pay him. That man should retire in blue and orange.

MVP-06
09-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Woodson supposedly got 5yr/55 mil at age 33. Pretty steep price considering Revis only got a little more cash and is much younger. Wonder what Bailey's agent is thinking on where Champ's numbers should come in and can we afford it after the Doom contract

Kaylore
09-09-2010, 02:55 PM
McDaniels has said he wants to make sure Bailey stays a Bronco for "the rest of his career". FYI he said something similar about Dumervil and Kuper and both got contracts a few months after these things were said. So he'll likely get locked up in awhile.

24champ
09-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Remains to be seen if an extension happens.

Champ wants to see the Broncos improve into a Super Bowl contender before he commits long term, and management/Bowlen want Champ to lower his contract demands.

BigPlayShay
09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
So he'll likely get locked up in awhile.

Nice! Britton Colquitt style locked up?

baja
09-09-2010, 03:26 PM
McDaniels has said he wants to make sure Bailey stays a Bronco for "the rest of his career". FYI he said something similar about Dumervil and Kuper and both got contracts a few months after these things were said. So he'll likely get locked up in awhile.

From a business stand point it might be wise to see what the stable of new kids do first. That said I really hope Champ finishes his career in Denver.

yerner
09-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Where is Champ from? I wouldn't be surprised if he tis thinking about moving to the south. I could see Atlanta.

Conklin
09-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Where is Champ from? I wouldn't be surprised if he tis thinking about moving to the south. I could see Atlanta.

tough search i know...born in Georgia, played @ Georgia

NFL.COM PLAYER PROFILE (http://www.nfl.com/players/champbailey/profile?id=BAI582194)

BMarsh615
09-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I think the drafting of Alphonso Smith last year plus us drafting Cox and Thompson means that McX don't plan on resigning Champ.

oubronco
09-09-2010, 04:31 PM
They will lock him up when the time is right there is no need to rush anything

Mogulseeker
09-09-2010, 05:16 PM
From a business stand point it might be wise to see what the stable of new kids do first. That said I really hope Champ finishes his career in Denver.

He can play FS after B-Dawk retires.

baja
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
He can play FS after B-Dawk retires.

He sure could but at what cost?

misturanderson
09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Woodson supposedly got 5yr/55 mil at age 33. Pretty steep price considering Revis only got a little more cash and is much younger. Wonder what Bailey's agent is thinking on where Champ's numbers should come in and can we afford it after the Doom contract

Woodson was also defensive player of the year last year over Revis. Champ wasn't even in the conversation. His demands shouldn't be as much as Woodson's.

That's also the max value of his contract and I'm sure he'll make significantly less than that if he doesn't hit certain escalators.

misturanderson
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I think the drafting of Alphonso Smith last year plus us drafting Cox and Thompson means that McX don't plan on resigning Champ.

And the signing of Brady Quinn and the drafting of Tim Tebow means that Orton won't be extended past this yea... Oh wait.

Atwater His Ass
09-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah, because Champ and Orton situations are exactly alike. No way a player with Champs ability signs a 1 year extension with a non-playoff team.

Champ will more than likely get his money somewhere, so if McD can't turn this around and convince Champ that we're moving in the right direction, he's gone.

tsiguy96
09-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Champ will more than likely get his money somewhere, so if McD can't turn this around and convince Champ that we're moving in the right direction, he's gone.

are you this dense? champ is completely convinced this team is in the right direction, and hes said so publicly and privately several times this offseason. why do people like you make **** up to try and create more drama where there is none?

Ray Finkle
09-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah, because Champ and Orton situations are exactly alike. No way a player with Champs ability signs a 1 year extension with a non-playoff team.

let me put it this way.....

Champ loves McDaniels....unless they try to undercut him, he will resign with the notion that he will move to Safety in a few years.

Cool Breeze
09-09-2010, 08:13 PM
With all of the big contracts going out, I wouldn't be suprised if he is signed.
He is still playing at a high level.
FYI - Tom Brady will sign a 4 year 19 mil per year - damn!

Atwater His Ass
09-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Champ loves McDaniels....unless they try to undercut him, he will resign with the notion that he will move to Safety in a few years.

Because you've got an in to their personal relationship? Sure...

Bailey may stay if he gets another pay day, but at this point in his career, he'll more than likely get paid a comparable amount from most teams and I would expect him to pick the best one situated to make a Super Bowl run.

In all likely hood, that won't be the Broncos.

SoCalBronco
09-09-2010, 11:25 PM
My opinion has not changed too much on this. I still think the 5 factors I outlined earlier should control. A review of those factors post-camp probably still militates against giving Bailey a very rich extension.

1) Progress of Smith/Cox/Carter-
Prior Comment: If at least one has a very strong campaign, it may be more efficient to take a moderate reduction in quality (I'm assuming that what would be a "very strong" year for one of those three would equate to a moderate dropoff from where Champ currently is, i.e. # 3-#5 at the position in the NFL) in exchange for a deep reduction in salary.
Current Comment: Well Smith and Carter are gone, but Squid and Cox have stepped up. If that holds, it would make it less likely that Bailey gets an extension as the staff might be more willing to take the trade-off noted above.

2) Whether Dumervil extension is reached before the franchise tag needs to be used (thus freeing it up)-
Prior Comment: A very underrated factor. If a deal gets done, Denver can then afford to kick the decision down the road another year with Bailey by tagging him. The availability of the tag would probably seriously hamper extension efforts.
Current Comment: Now that Doom's deal is done, this factor also militates against giving Bailey a very rich extension, since the team has additional leverage by way of the franchise tag (if there is a season next year) so they could kick it down the road another year, when Bailey is another year into his 30s.

3) Do Champ's CB cover skills significantly erode in 2010?
Prior Comment: Obviously an important factor, probably the most important of the lot, but still not determinative by itself, since he could always transition to safety.
Current Comment: Nothing has changed on this, yet. A proper evaluation of this factor will be ready in December.

4) Is a CBA agreement reached?
Prior Comment: Always important to consider, especially in the case where you have already given one big extension to someone else (Dumervil). If that deal gets done, it may be asking a bit much from the team to give two large extensions in the same summer with the uncertainty involved.
Current Comment: Still no extension reached and nothing remotely on the horizon. With sizeable deals being issued to Dumervil and Kuper already, I have a hard time seeing another big deal coming without CBA certainty.

5) Do Bruton and McBath progress at safety?
TBD.

Prior Comment: If you can answer "Yes" to 1, 3 and 5, then he's gone. If you can answer "Yes" to just 3 and 5, he's still gone.
Current Comment: I still largely believe this, although the wildcard is the negotiation between the two sides on the issue of when should it be reasonably expected that Champ will move to safety from corner. The team will argue its going to be very soon and he should be paid like a good safety rather than a good corner and Champ will argue he still has 4 or 5 years left at corner. If he's flexible on that issue and the kids at safety don't step up, it might be enough to counteract some of the other factors, but we'll see.

24champ
09-09-2010, 11:25 PM
are you this dense? champ is completely convinced this team is in the right direction, and hes said so publicly and privately several times this offseason. why do people like you make **** up to try and create more drama where there is none?

Champ Bailey is a good company man, he says what you want to hear and is a professional about things. There are times where you can read between the lines on what he thinks about certain situations. He's a smart NFL player.

That being said, he has also stated and it's known that he wants to win a Super Bowl before his career is over. To me, it's playoffs or Champ is bye bye after this season.

Taco John
09-09-2010, 11:27 PM

I don't mean any disrespect to Champ, but I don't see him as a safety at all. And I don't know why he'd ever want to punish his body enough to move to a foriegn position that requires a lot more head on collision than he has to take at the corner spot. Champ is clearly a good tackler, but there's a pretty big difference between the kinds of tackles a safety has to make and the kinds a CB has to make. I would be very suprised to learn that Champ wanted to put his body through a transition like that.

24champ
09-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't mean any disrespect to Champ, but I don't see him as a safety at all. And I don't know why he'd ever want to punish his body enough to move to a foriegn position that requires a lot more head on collision than he has to take at the corner spot. Champ is clearly a good tackler, but there's a pretty big difference between the kinds of tackles a safety has to make and the kinds a CB has to make. I would be very suprised to learn that Champ wanted to put his body through a transition like that.

He's already put his body through harm by the way he plays, its rare to see a corner tackle the way Champ does. Champ's already dealt with the shoulder and other injury issues. I think he would be fine making the transition to Safety, so that's not an issue...it's just a matter of when he should make that transition. He won't be a John Lynch tackler but he will provide more than adequate coverage and tackling skills to the position.

cutthemdown
09-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Give Bailey a fair deal and he will take it.

extralife
09-10-2010, 01:09 AM
so apparently this is happening:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16037566

Atwater His Ass
09-10-2010, 01:31 AM

There's a huge misnomer on this board that playing safety somehow requires less athletic ability than CB and that any good CB can transition to S in his twilight years.

With Champs groin and shoulder injury history, I don't see him being able to consistently stay healthy at the S position. The way most NFL offenses work, as Champ slows down, he can still contribute quite a bit as a nickel and dime CB and see plenty of playing time.

He's a guy that I'd love to keep around, but not at the money he'll probably demand. I could see him perhaps staying if Denver was in a strong position to challenge for a title and giving the team a little break on the contract financially, but Denver just doesn't have that kind of clout anymore.

24champ
09-10-2010, 01:40 AM

I'll believe it when the ink is dry...they've been discussing it for the last 2-3 years.

As for the Champ not being physical or good enough at safety talk...

Bailey can play at a Pro Bowl level at the more physical safety position?

"Absolutely, because and that's why I had such a high level of respect for him he could easily have said, 'Hey, I'm a cover corner, I'm not going to stick my nose in there and get hurt,' " Lynch said. ". . . But Champ's never been afraid to mix it up. And he's also incredibly instinctive, which is what makes you at the safety position.

"So, I think it'll be a natural switch when he does. But I don't think it's that time yet."

tsiguy96
09-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Champ Bailey is a good company man, he says what you want to hear and is a professional about things. There are times where you can read between the lines on what he thinks about certain situations. He's a smart NFL player.

That being said, he has also stated and it's known that he wants to win a Super Bowl before his career is over. To me, it's playoffs or Champ is bye bye after this season.

go read the mort report i think it was from his visit to denver. he said even with cameras and mic's off, champ has glowing praise for mcdaniels.
you may be right about the playoffs thing however.

Mogulseeker
09-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Bailey has said he doesn't mind switching at safety when he slows down. Make him the highest paid safety in the league - he'll still be the most dominant player on the field.

Do people realize how complete Bailey really is? I might be a little biased, but I think Bailey is one of the best defensive players in NFL history... obviously a great cover corner, but he has instincts, can play the zone, and can hit and tackle as good as any safety in the NFL.

Ray Finkle
09-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Because you've got an in to their personal relationship? Sure...

Bailey may stay if he gets another pay day, but at this point in his career, he'll more than likely get paid a comparable amount from most teams and I would expect him to pick the best one situated to make a Super Bowl run.

cough cough....

cough cough....

believe it or not, I do know somethings. Perhaps a good friend of mine works with a former Redskin...that now has a radio show....

Garcia Bronco
09-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Champ is still the number 1 corner in the game. He doesn't get thrown at.

Mogulseeker
09-10-2010, 06:21 AM
Champ is still the number 1 corner in the game. He doesn't get thrown at.

Revis is damn good.

Champ is certainly still top 5.

Rabb
09-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Champ has been nothing but class and still has a lot of gas in the tank whether it is at corner or safety

I am looking forward to him retiring in Orange and Blue

gyldenlove
09-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Champ is easily the best cornerback in run support, he is not quite the ballhawk he used to be because he has lost half a step, but half a step is not much given with what he started, he had one of the fastest 40 times ever at the combine and unlike many of the other sprinters his track time does convert to playing time.

As we saw last year when he again gave up 0 TDs, it is a bad idea to throw at him too much and if for no other reason that makes him elite.

I love that I am hearing they are negotiating seriously with him for a 4 year extension, there is no doubt that Bailey is a class individual and one of the best ever to play his position, and I for one am proud that he is a Bronco and want to continue being a Bronco, he reflects well on the organisation.

Rabb
09-10-2010, 07:18 AM
champ is easily the best cornerback in run support, he is not quite the ballhawk he used to be because he has lost half a step, but half a step is not much given with what he started, he had one of the fastest 40 times ever at the combine and unlike many of the other sprinters his track time does convert to playing time.

As we saw last year when he again gave up 0 tds, it is a bad idea to throw at him too much and if for no other reason that makes him elite.

I love that i am hearing they are negotiating seriously with him for a 4 year extension, there is no doubt that bailey is a class individual and one of the best ever to play his position, and i for one am proud that he is a bronco and want to continue being a bronco, he reflects well on the organisation.

^5

Br0nc0Buster
09-10-2010, 07:27 AM
I hope they extend him and he would make a perfect safety down the road
He is a good tackler and is very instinctive

and for those who think he may want to go to another team, perhaps but he has gone out of his way to compliment McDaniels
his exact words were "if we dont win, it wont be because of him(Josh)"

I think he wants to retire a Bronco

outdoor_miner
09-10-2010, 07:33 AM

So - if Bailey signs an extension, are you going to stick to this take? He saw a team that was building towards being a Super Bowl contender? Or, are you going to back down and change your logic and say that we offered more money than anyone else (or some crap like that)?

BMarsh615
09-10-2010, 07:34 AM
i think the drafting of alphonso smith last year plus us drafting cox and thompson means that mcx don't plan on resigning champ.

fail

Rabb
09-10-2010, 07:37 AM
So - if Bailey signs an extension, are you going to stick to this take? He saw a team that was building towards being a Super Bowl contender? Or, are you going to back down and change your logic and say that we offered more money than anyone else (or some crap like that)?

his avatar makes his opinion even more funnah

MVP-06
09-10-2010, 07:45 AM

Good news imo.

The Joker
09-10-2010, 07:58 AM
I can't believe some people don't think he could play safety to a high level.

Yes it's a more physical position than corner, but Champ isn't exactly going to be an in the box run support safety ala Dawkins.

Still has a few years left in him as a corner, but I'm confident he'll spend his last years in the league making plays at FS.

Delighted to hear we're working on keeping him in Denver, the guy is all class.

gyldenlove
09-10-2010, 08:43 AM
I can't believe some people don't think he could play safety to a high level.

Yes it's a more physical position than corner, but Champ isn't exactly going to be an in the box run support safety ala Dawkins.

Still has a few years left in him as a corner, but I'm confident he'll spend his last years in the league making plays at FS.

Delighted to hear we're working on keeping him in Denver, the guy is all class.

**** safety, play him at corner until the wheels come off, sure he could probably be a good cover safety, but why would you do that? He is a natural at the CB position.

The Joker
09-10-2010, 11:42 AM
**** safety, play him at corner until the wheels come off, sure he could probably be a good cover safety, but why would you do that? He is a natural at the CB position.

Yes but eventually he'll lose another step, which will diminish his ability to make plays as a CB.

Playing safety he won't be lined up against WR's as much, which will allow him to play more aggressively in coverage as he'll have less fear of being beaten deep.

He's so good at reading the QB, playing zone in the middle of the field he'd be a terror to play against.

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2010, 12:03 PM

I'd rather transition him to safety and allow the younger, more explosive guys play at the CB position. With Champ on the field, he can always help direct the CBs and be the leader of the secondary. The reason you move him to safety is because he's a little slower than he used to be, but you still want him on the field to help lead the secondary and the defense.

It just makes sense to switch him to safety where he can maximize his abilities and be productive.

Atwater His Ass
09-10-2010, 03:05 PM
cough cough....

cough cough....

believe it or not, I do know somethings. Perhaps a good friend of mine works with a former Redskin...that now has a radio show....

Wow you can link to the post. Congrats.

Ray Finkle
09-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Wow you can link to the post. Congrats.

thank you....I know it is a hard concept for you :welcome:

tsiguy96
09-10-2010, 06:15 PM
I'd rather transition him to safety and allow the younger, more explosive guys play at the CB position. With Champ on the field, he can always help direct the CBs and be the leader of the secondary. The reason you move him to safety is because he's a little slower than he used to be, but you still want him on the field to help lead the secondary and the defense.

It just makes sense to switch him to safety where he can maximize his abilities and be productive.

more explosive? who cares if tehy are more explosive, if hes a far, far better CB, he should stay there. he should transition to safety when his coverage skills fall off and the secondary is improved by him moving to safety, not because you want a younger guy at corner.

Steve Sewell
09-10-2010, 06:29 PM
go read the mort report i think it was from his visit to denver. he said even with cameras and mic's off, champ has glowing praise for mcdaniels.
you may be right about the playoffs thing however.

Sigh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=5453473

misturanderson
09-10-2010, 06:52 PM
more explosive? who cares if tehy are more explosive, if hes a far, far better CB, he should stay there. he should transition to safety when his coverage skills fall off and the secondary is improved by him moving to safety, not because you want a younger guy at corner.
I'm not sure that Champ being put at safety would cause that big of a dropoff now. The guy is at his best when he can read the QB and he'd get plenty of time doing that as a centerfielder FS.

It's really more a matter of whether the 2nd best FS is better than the 3rd best CB, because Champ would probably be the best player on the team at either of those positions.

strafen
09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
McDaniels has said he wants to make sure Bailey stays a Bronco for "the rest of his career". FYI he said something similar about Dumervil and Kuper and both got contracts a few months after these things were said. So he'll likely get locked up in awhile.With the emergence of Syd Thompson and Perrish Cox, I doubt Bailey will still be a Broncos in two years, not because of a drop in performance -Champ just turned 32 in June- but because we have some promising youngsters that could turn out to be real good players...
For that to happen of course Thompson and Cox would have to be playing exceptionally well

baja
09-10-2010, 07:06 PM
With the emergence of Syd Thompson and Perrish Cox, I doubt Bailey will still be a Broncos in two years, not because of a drop in performance -Champ just turned 32 in June- but because we have some promising youngsters that could turn out to be real good players...
For that to happen of course Thompson and Cox would have to be playing exceptionally well

That must be why the Broncos are giving Champ a 4 yr extension.

Requiem
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM
With the emergence of Syd Thompson and Perrish Cox, I doubt Bailey will still be a Broncos in two years, not because of a drop in performance -Champ just turned 32 in June- but because we have some promising youngsters that could turn out to be real good players...

I like Thompson just as much as anyone here, but I don't think he'll be a guy starting on the outside in the NFL. Cox can be that guy, Bailey is that guy. Keep Thompson in a nickel role.

WABronco
09-10-2010, 07:16 PM

See: Domonique Foxworth and Karl Paymah. Even Darrent Williams wouldn't have replaced Champ.

But ya, Cox and Thompson look really good against ****ty backups.

strafen
09-10-2010, 10:28 PM
See: Domonique Foxworth and Karl Paymah. Even Darrent Williams wouldn't have replaced Champ.

But ya, Cox and Thompson look really good against ****ty backups.

They've should've been cut, then...

WABronco
09-11-2010, 12:15 AM
They've should've been cut, then...

No they shouldn't have. There was hardly any competition for their roster spots.

Your sarcasm is terrible.