RB: Jack
WR: Jack
OL: Den
DL: Den
LB: Jack
DB: Den
ST: Den
Coach: Jack (??)

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Broncos-Jaguars matchup.

1. Deal with the heat: Denver's starters, like those on all teams in the league, have yet to really play a full game. Conditioning is always a potential problem at the start of season, but that is doubly important this week for the Broncos as they travel to sultry Jacksonville. If this game stays close in the fourth quarter, that favors the Jaguars.

2. Force Jacksonville to the air: Denver has one of the best secondaries in the league. Because of this, the Broncos should be able to dedicate extra defenders near the line of scrimmage to dare David Garrard to throw. This plays to Denver's strengths and to Jacksonville's weaknesses.

3. Account for a wide variety of offensive personnel: The Jaguars are not known for it of late, but they now offer a wide variety of skill sets from their potential pass-catchers. TEs Marcedes Lewis and Zach Miller are vastly different in what they offer. The same is true with the group of receivers. From that crew, keep an eye on under-the-radar Mike Thomas, who could be on the verge of a breakout season.

4. Exploit the safeties: Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels has an excellent offensive mind. He needs to figure out how to get isolation routes against the Jaguars' safeties, which is a major weakness in this defense. Reggie Nelson was traded and Gerald Alexander was cut, leaving Anthony Smith, Sean Considine, Tyron Brackenridge and Courtney Greene to man the position. None of these four should be feared in any way. In fact, they are targets.

5. Matchup to watch: Broncos WR Jabar Gaffney vs. Jaguars CB Rashean Mathis: The Broncos' wide receivers will line up in various spots in the formation, but as it stands today, Gaffney is the closest thing Denver has to a No. 1 option at the position. Still, expect to see a lot of three wide receiver sets and Mathis might not get a lot of help in Week 1.

6. Maurice Jones-Drew's health: Jones-Drew recently had a procedure done on his knee and was shut down for the remainder of the preseason. Is he OK and ready to go? The Jaguars don't seem concerned on the exterior, but it wouldn't be a surprise if Rashad Jennings received double-digit touches in this contest.

7. Get interior pressure: The Broncos will be starting two rookies on the interior of their offensive line, and Kyle Orton isn't a particularly mobile quarterback. Getting a consistent push up the middle is imperative for the Jaguars this week. Much of the pressure to accomplish this goal falls on first-round selection Tyson Alualu, which is exactly why the Jaguars used such a high pick on him.

8. Handle NT Jamal Williams: Williams certainly is not a young man any more or as much of a difference-maker as he once was, but he can eliminate an interior running game almost single-handedly. Compounding matters, Jacksonville's interior offensive line was very weak last year. There are some new bodies up front. Will the results be any better? This will be a good test.

9. Win the quarterback hit battle: Garrard took a beating last season. He was constantly battered when he dropped back. On the flip side, the Jaguars really had a tough time getting to opposing quarterbacks in any way, shape or form. They hope the addition of Aaron Kampman will help in that regard. Rushing the passer is extremely important in today's NFL. The Jaguars need to improve on both sides of the ball in this department.

10. Matchup to watch: Jaguars LT Eugene Monroe vs. Broncos ROLB Robert Ayers: This will be a crucial matchup between very young former first-round picks who have not yet lived up to their draft slot, but do show some potential to do so. Ayers really is the Broncos' only dangerous pass-rusher, and he has been very potent this preseason. He needs to have a great game -- and season -- to take some pressure off Denver's pass defense.

Prediction
Denver 14
Jacksonville 17

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=300912030

Inkana7
09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Ah, time for the first ****ty Scouts Inc. prediction of the year. It's so funny to see the difference between the "analysis" and the final score prediction.

Chris
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Again it all looks like things favour the Broncos then they pick the other team to win. Scouts Inc - same as it ever was.

broncofan2438
09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I just dont understand how these guys keep picking Jax over us. How can their WR corps be better than ours? Cmon. The RB situation is suspect for both teams. Yes they have MJD but lets be honest, he isnt the same RB

Missouribronc
09-09-2010, 10:51 AM
10. Matchup to watch: Jaguars LT Eugene Monroe vs. Broncos ROLB Robert Ayers: This will be a crucial matchup between very young former first-round picks who have not yet lived up to their draft slot, but do show some potential to do so. Ayers really is the Broncos' only dangerous pass-rusher, and he has been very potent this preseason. He needs to have a great game -- and season -- to take some pressure off Denver's pass defense.

This. No pressure and it won't matter how good our secondary is.

Paladin
09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
More hate because of Quitler and Big Baby M episodes? Looks like they are getting info from one of the esteemed DP hacks.......

outdoor_miner
09-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Ah... Nothing says "football season is here" like Scouts Inc predicting a 3 or 4 point margin of victory.

PRBronco
09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Lol I forgot about the Tyson Alualu pick.

Darkdoc
09-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Who knows much of anything solid or specific until the first couple of games are played. It is all speculation at this point.

We'll know more about the game planning, QB and receivers, OL and DL, and even the running game once the first string players are in the game consistently and we see what the new guys on the team can offer, and what two years under McD's system is like.

Predictions of either doom and despair or victory and glory are mostly guesses at this point (although I love being a homer as much as anyone else, and have high hopes - one reason why this is so much fun).

Ray_Lewis'_Victim
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM

So, they just replaced all of last year's "Dumerville vs OT" observations and replaced them with Ayers vs OT?

ColoradoDarin
09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
3 points to the home team.....so they're saying that they have no idea?

Mr.Meanie
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Broncos-Jaguars: 10 observations

By Matt Williamson
Denver at Jacksonville
When: 1:00 PM ET
Watch: CBS
Preview
More scouting reports: Week 1
Scouts Inc. Position Advantage
QB: Den
RB: Jack
WR: Jack
OL: Den
DL: Den
LB: Jack
DB: Den
ST: Den
Coach: Jack (??)

wait, what?

baja
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
31 - 17 Denver, coaching trumps heat this day.

Mountain Bronco
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I would pick Jacksonville in this game as well for one reason. The Broncos suck in Florida in the early season and they are totally unproven. Do I hope our advantages overcome that, yes, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

underrated29
09-09-2010, 12:09 PM
WR- does not favor Jaxonville in any way shape form or fashion or any other thing.

Our wr are great. It is still really funny to see how short peoples memmories are.

The pats when they won their superbowls had, givens, branch, gaffers, caldwell and some other guys. None of which have done anything else anywhere, gaff aside.

But all people can think about or remember is welker, and moss. They think without a big name like that we wont do jack, when in fact the pats havent won anything with those guys.

Kaylore
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Yeah I will say our coaching >>>>>>>>>> anything the Jags have. I still don't think it will be enough, but I don't expect us to get out-schemed.

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
3 points to the home team.....so they're saying that they have no idea?

spot on. they don't have a friggen clue.

baja
09-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah I will say our coaching >>>>>>>>>> anything the Jags have. I still don't think it will be enough, but I don't expect us to get out-schemed.

I think he will game plan to factor in the heat. I think we will rotate in players a lot more than normal. Use time outs when we need a blow and try to control the TOP.

Hopefully to explore the best high tech ways to stay cool and hydrated on the sidelines.

MABroncoFan
09-09-2010, 12:36 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16032497?source=rss

I can't start a new thread, so I'll put this here. One quote in the article I wasn't sure I understood (below) ... is he talking about Harris getting better every day or Clady? Who does he not think will be out there today - Clady or Harris? At first I thought he was talking about Clady, but now I think Harris instead.

"Clady will play. Ryan is getting better every day," McDaniels said this morning. "(I) don't think he's going to be out there today. We're going to take all week and see what happens, but Clady will definitely play. No question."

enjolras
09-09-2010, 12:37 PM

Where do you see Jacksonville with a big advantage over Denver? Don't hand me the heat, a good chunk of this team grew up playing in the heat. It's not like it's been chilly here in Denver during training camp either.

Lets put Florida aside. I don't see any reason the Broncos shouldn't win this easily. On paper they're the better team.

underrated29
09-09-2010, 12:41 PM

I can't start a new thread, so I'll put this here. One quote in the article I wasn't sure I understood (below) ... is he talking about Harris getting better every day or Clady? Who does he not think will be out there today - Clady or Harris? At first I thought he was talking about Clady, but now I think Harris instead.

"Clady will play. Ryan is getting better every day," McDaniels said this morning. "(I) don't think he's going to be out there today. We're going to take all week and see what happens, but Clady will definitely play. No question."

harris is out man. Beadles is going to play RT. Harris got his ankle rolled on from behind on the last pre season game, I think by buck no less.

Rohirrim
09-09-2010, 12:43 PM
As hot as Orton's hand has been I really expect the Broncos to take the Jagwads apart. Jagfan might get their wish and see The Tebow in the fourth.

baja
09-09-2010, 12:44 PM

this would have been worth a thread

to start one make the thread title something short like "see"

Make your OP like normal and hit post thread

After you have your new thread hit edit post > go advanced > then fix your title any way you want > hit save changes

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2010, 12:46 PM
As hot as Orton's hand has been I really expect the Broncos to take the Jagwads apart. Jagfan might get their wish and see The Tebow in the fourth.

That would be so cool. :wiggle:

baja
09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Where do you see Jacksonville with a big advantage over Denver? Don't hand me the heat, a good chunk of this team grew up playing in the heat. It's not like it's been chilly here in Denver during training camp either.

Lets put Florida aside. I don't see any reason the Broncos shouldn't win this easily. On paper they're the better team.

History says you are wrong about the heat being a factor in sept. and if you think Denver heat is like Florida heat your either have never been to Florida in early sept. or never been to Denver.

Los Broncos
09-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I just dont understand how these guys keep picking Jax over us. How can their WR corps be better than ours? Cmon. The RB situation is suspect for both teams. Yes they have MJD but lets be honest, he isnt the same RB

We don't well in first games in Florida, don't know if it's the weather or at least that plays into it.

MJD isn't the same? their going to run early and often, better be ready for it.

OCBronco
09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
For some reason, I have a feeling that if Tebow plays, it might just nullify some of the home field advantage for Jacksonville.

Dagmar
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
For some reason, I have a feeling that if Tebow plays, it might just nullify some of the home field advantage for Jacksonville.

The noise if he comes on to the field will be ridiculous.

Br0nc0Buster
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
surprised they gave us the better DL
Jax has 2 first rounders and Kampman on that line, not too shabby

cutthemdown
09-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Prettty good breakdown actually. I didn't realize Jags had as many problems as they do in the secondary.

Basically they are saying early in the season, it will be hot, Broncos on road on a trip they usually struggle on, so Jags when a close game.

Not sure why people get so bummed about it. When your teams loses tons of close games over a 3-4 yr period, expect to see a lot of predictions where you lose close games.

Play2win
09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Orton 300+, high percentage and highly efficient.

Our D... 2 ints, maybe a pick-6. I think our D is going to have a lot of interceptions this year. I think it might be one of Josh's plans for the defense. Get the PICKS!!!

Bronco Yoda
09-09-2010, 02:55 PM
So did Maurice Jones-Drew's have a knee 'proceedure' or not? All I read is conflicting reports with Drew's denying anything is wrong with his knee at all.

The MVPlaya
09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
14 points? Really Scouts Inc.? Anyways, this is my prediction:

Broncos get out to the fast start and put points up on the board quick. Jacksonville will be forced to move the ball through the air quicker, in which they'll miserably fail.

Jags fans will see Tebow... because it's going to be a blowout and Orton will be sippin Kool Aid on the sideline.

Broncos will win, not even a close game.

That's my ****in prediction.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't drink Kool-Aid in the heat. Too much sugar.

Atwater His Ass
09-09-2010, 03:36 PM

Spoken like someone who's never experienced high humidty combined with high temperatures. Hell, it doesn't even have to break 85 degrees if the humidty is high enough, it is miserable.

Midwest summers are completely different animals than anywhere in the South. The weather will be a huge factor.

Denver can win this game, but be realistic. Denver has huge questions on both lines. That alone is cause for major concern. Top it off with a very shaky LB core and RB stable and it's not like these guys are off their rocker picking JAX.

We've all seen how torched a "great" secondary can be without any pass rush or solid play from the front 7. Do you guys live in a vacuum? Frankly, Denver just doesn't have a lot of strong points starting the season. The players, and espcially McD, have a lot to prove coming off the diastrous 2-6 finish.

Steve Sewell
09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Spoken like someone who's never experienced high humidty combined with high temperatures. Hell, it doesn't even have to break 85 degrees if the humidty is high enough, it is miserable.

Midwest summers are completely different animals than anywhere in the South. The weather will be a huge factor.

Denver can win this game, but be realistic. Denver has huge questions on both lines. That alone is cause for major concern. Top it off with a very shaky LB core and RB stable and it's not like these guys are off their rocker picking JAX.

We've all seen how torched a "great" secondary can be without any pass rush or solid play from the front 7. Do you guys live in a vacuum? Frankly, Denver just doesn't have a lot of strong points starting the season. The players, and espcially McD, have a lot to prove coming off the diastrous 2-6 finish.

Agreed. Denver has some of the most pleasant weather in the entire country. Try going to a place in Iowa or somewhere else in the midwest during the summer time and it's absolutely brutal with the humidity. I can't imagine how bad it is in the deep south.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-09-2010, 03:59 PM
If a team loses a game because of the damned weather, then they're pussies from the very start. These are highly-trained, highly-conditioned athletes. They can handle it.

Blueflame
09-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Agreed. Denver has some of the most pleasant weather in the entire country. Try going to a place in Iowa or somewhere else in the midwest during the summer time and it's absolutely brutal with the humidity. I can't imagine how bad it is in the deep south.

I was in Jacksonville in mid-July.... the room we were in had tile floors and due to the humidity, the floors felt like they'd just been mopped and hadn't yet had time to dry. The bed linens felt like they'd been pulled out of the dryer a good 10 minutes too soon, still damp. Towels hung to dry after taking a shower would still be just as damp hours later... I don't think they'd ever air-dry. In short, it felt like we were in a steam room.

Atwater His Ass
09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
If a team loses a game because of the damned weather, then they're pussies from the very start. These are highly-trained, highly-conditioned athletes. They can handle it.

Yeah, it's not like professional athletes are human or anything.

P.S. In case you haven't noticed over the past decade, Denver isn't a physical or strong team in the NFL sense.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it's not like professional athletes are human or anything.

P.S. In case you haven't noticed over the past decade, Denver isn't a physical or strong team in the NFL sense.

Of course they are, but they're also trained and prepared differently than a family trying to adjust to the Florida weather when trying to walk through Disney World. They'll be fine. A number of guys, Champ included, have already come out and said the weather won't hold them back.

Atwater His Ass
09-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Of course they are, but they're also trained and prepared differently than a family trying to adjust to the Florida weather when trying to walk through Disney World. They'll be fine. A number of guys, Champ included, have already come out and said the weather won't hold them back.

Of course they say the weather won't hold them back. What else are they going to say? You must be one of those people that belives everything prestented to you.

But it will. In the same way teams have trouble adjusting to playing in Denver, our team as a whole will have trouble playing in Florida. It's ignorant to think otherwise.

The real question, is can the team overcome it? Recent history says no, but we'll have to wait and see.

mkporter
09-09-2010, 04:21 PM
I can't help but think if the momentum turns against us, and the Jagwad fans get into the game, that McD will put in Tebow just to get the crowd going in our favor. Can you imagine how crappy it would be if the opposing team put in a player that caused your own fans to go nuts? Brutal.

Bronco Yoda
09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
McD's going to line up Tebow and put him in motion just to watch half the D slide his way. :)

underrated29
09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh please dude.

The weather. Are you effing serious. Thats like saying teams will lose because when they play us in the winter is snows.

BS!!!

Football is uncomfortable, the only thing about the weather is getting dehydrated and cramps. Both teams have to deal with it. And it will happen to both teams

PS- Colorado is one of the dryest freaking states out there. We know what it is like to stay hydrated- we wont get the cramps...

BUT so what, if its hot wet and muggy. Boohooo. That wont affect ****. I play hockey and when we had tourneys in FL, NY and Vegas- those places blew. The ice was never hard, it was hotter than balls in there and you could squeegee the melting water off the supposed ice. I dont think i have ever swet that much in my entire life. I drank probably 2 full hockey water bottles full. And we kicked some ass....Well we got blown out in vegas, but really it did not change our performance at all. Being hot, wet and muggy does not change how strong, fast or anything else.

Chris
09-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Hey, weather was a factor for the Bucs all those years.

I will say this - We have the edge at coach, QB and WR. That alone I think carries us to victory.

baja
09-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Broncos history disagrees with you.

Punisher
09-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Then you woke up

baja
09-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Then you woke up

I'll bet you a tag for a week the Broncos win

what say you?

Punisher
09-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I'll bet you a tag for a week the Broncos win

what say you?

Ok I'll bet that, but if i win you have to change your name to Zorro the Gay Blade and have this as your avatar

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKYiTBycepyZDSgpqEPxLT_I2csaXI7 RusxbLeJ04wxgvIZbs&t=1&usg=__eHPBiwGQaVwL9ZPllphaf-5MDTE=

For a week

baja
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Ok I'll bet that, but if i win you have to change your name to Zorro the Gay Blade and have this as your avatar

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKYiTBycepyZDSgpqEPxLT_I2csaXI7 RusxbLeJ04wxgvIZbs&t=1&usg=__eHPBiwGQaVwL9ZPllphaf-5MDTE=

For a week

OK it's bet

I let you know yours after I win.

Atwater His Ass
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Hey, weather was a factor for the Bucs all those years.

I will say this - We have the edge at coach, QB and WR. That alone I think carries us to victory.

So you're not one of those guys that thinks line play is important? Interesting.

oubronco
09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Their WR's are not better than ours

Broncos 34
Jaquars 17

Go Broncos!!!!

WolfpackGuy
09-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Get on top and put the game in Garrard's hands.

Heat or no heat, the Broncos should win this.

TonyR
09-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Simmons posted his picks this afternoon. Yuck. Hope he's completely wrong.

JAGS (-2.5) over Broncos
Just a guess: This will be the last week the Broncos get a line of less than 3 points on the road against anyone in the league.
(On the bright side, one of my Twitter followers came up with a fun nickname for Tim Tebow: Virgin Air. That would have been my favorite 2010 NFL nickname except for the guy who came up with Michael "70s" Bush.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/100909

Dutch
09-09-2010, 11:49 PM

This. I live in Atlanta and it has been brutal this summer. Worst we've seen in the 15 years my wife and I have lived here. It will be insanely hot on the field. High of 93, humidity around 70%, a dew point of 70, with a UV factor of 10 at kickoff. That means a heat index of around 101-103. That doesn't even factor in the added 10-20 degrees (depending on wind and surface exposure) being on the field will bring. The thing that folks who've never experienced it don't get is that the sweat on your body does not evaporate in this kind of weather, instead it begins to act as an insulator (feels like you are wrapped in saran wrap and stuck in a sauna). Once the super-heating begins the cramps are going to happen as the vascular system collapses to protect and cool the internal organs depriving the muscles of oxygen rich blood. Teams that play down here at all levels have players cramping all the time this time of year, just a factor playing in the South. Aclimation is key, but it is particularly tough on teams like the Broncos coming from the dry air of the Rocky Mountains (the Colorado Plateau is high altitude desert after all). To say this is "no big deal" or they should just "tough it out" is ignorance at best, to compare it to playing HOCKEY in an indoor air conditioned arena? I don't even know what to call that, I play in an adult hockey summer league here TO GET OUT OF THE HEAT. High rotation of our players will be key, and jumping out to an early lead would be huge as it will force the Wads to abandon the run. As for players who grew up playing here, don't count no more. They have aclimated to Denver by now, so the only benefit they have is knowing that they have done it before. I still see us winning this one 24-13.

underrated29
09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I knew someone was going to mention indoor A/C arena.....I dont know if you have ever played in FL or Vegas in an ice rink there. By your response I am guessing not.

Yes, it is indoors, not it is not A/C.....In fact in vegas, twice a period. A period! The game had to be stopped to the Zam could come out and dry cut the ice, acted more like a squeegee to push all the water off. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. And coming from a hockey player you should know with all of our pads, just how effing hot we get. We are covered head to toe. Now factor in NO AC, no fans on the sideline and doing a tournament...(which means you skate 2x a day. Once at 630am before the ice melts and once at midnight, where the ice is trying to stop melting.

The heat will be a factor, but it will not determine the outcome of this game. These guys are highly trained finely tuned instruments. We survived and it was just college hockey. We were not pros.

Mogulseeker
09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Don't we have a lot of mid-west/rocky mountain boys on our team? Idaho, Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, Ohio, Indy, etc.... that's been my perception.

Chris
09-10-2010, 11:14 AM
So you're not one of those guys that thinks line play is important? Interesting.

Of course I do. That's massive. It's the reason I'd rather have a Clady jersey over any other offensive player. Having said that, if we can get the ball out quickly we can mitigate our weakness on the line. It's not an awful line at the moment, it's a line with talent that just needs to get in synch (and healthy). Expect lots of screens.

go_broncos
09-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Jags fans think they can win around 6 games this year and one of them is against Denver.
Almost all of them think Denver is a below average team.
Their reason is that Doom and Marshall are not playing and clady not 100%.
It is very humid and we will be in trouble if the game is close at the start of 4th Qtr.

I just hope that we win this game..

Old Dude
09-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I have no clue what's going to happen. Our O-Line has only had about two series together all preseason, and if Harris is out it will be yet another new combination.

Clady did not look like he was 100% last week. Haven't seen enough of Daniels to make up my mind. Beadles at RT?

Just too many questions there. If they play reasonably well, and if Orton gets time to throw, then I think the Broncos will put up a bunch of points against that secondary.

But if they struggle in pass protection, it's going to get ugly.

Last time I saw the Jags, they spent al day running the ball down our throats. I don't think that's going to happen on the interior, but we've been giving up big runs on the outside.

Heat & humidity will be a factor and we'll see a bunch of our guys limping off with cramps - just like we always do in Florida this time of year. But I think the game will be decided one way or the other long before that.

Someone is gonna blow someone out, but it could go either way.

I'm going to hope for some well done crow on Monday, so I'll predict Jags 34, Broncos 10.

KevinJames
09-10-2010, 01:04 PM
The same scouts inc. that had that one douche on their staff who use to host a bias'd official ESPN NFL podcast that got arrested and fired for kiddie porn?

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-10-2010, 01:14 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/09/10/what-to-watch-dealing-with-the-heat/

What to Watch: Dealing with the Heat
By Andrew Mason

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – The record for warmest game in Broncos history isn’t in jeopardy this weekend.

The 103-degree temperature for a Sunday night game in Arizona in 2001 is likely to remain unchallenged, since every venue where the temperature is likely to get that high during the season can keep out such heat by closing the roof.

But it will likely feel worse Sunday in Jacksonville than it did for that game in Arizona, which kicked off at 5:30 p.m. Phoenix time and saw temperatures cool off as the sun set. High temperatures are forecast to be in the low-to-mid 90s, and the heat index should linger between 101 and 105 degrees as humidity stays above 40 percent.

“I might as well go step in the sauna somewhere and just start running around the steam room, try and act like it’s part of the game right here,” said Broncos nose tackle Jamal Williams. “But it might be a little weird going to a little health spa and start running around. I’m going to try my best.”

Acclimation like that doesn’t really help, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels noted.

“We talked a lot about that in the offseason — do you go early, do you go into the indoor facility up the road and crank up the heat to 100 degrees? I’m not sure you can get totally used to it in one or two days,” he said. “I think if you do that, we may risk wearing somebody down, injuring somebody before you make the trip.”

Some teams head to Florida a day early to try and adjust to the conditions. Under Mike Shanahan, the Broncos did that for a Week 2 game at Jacksonville in 2004 and a Week 1 clash with Miami a year later.

They lost both.

In each of those years, they returned to Florida a few weeks later when conditions were still oppressive. Those Florida returns — to Tampa Bay in 2004 and Jacksonville in 2005 — saw normal itineraries, with the Broncos leaving for the game site the day before kickoff.

With the shorter trips, the Broncos won both times — their only two wins in the Sunshine State since Super Bowl XXXIII. The Broncos are 2-5 in Florida since that 34-19 Lombardi Trophy-winning game over the Falcons, but haven’t played a game there since 2005.

“I’ve been on West Coast (and) Southern trips (with the Patriots) where we went on Friday and got crushed,” McDaniels said. “It didn’t make a difference if we went early or not; it’s how we played in the game. It’s not dissimilar to people coming out here and saying that the air is different. I think mentally we’ve just got to be ready to go.”

The key, of course, is hydration. The air might be wet, and there’s a chance of thunderstorms during the game, but that really won’t help the teams all that much.

“We saw the Boise State situation Monday night (against Virginia Tech) where they had four defensive backs out at the same time. I think that caught our players’ attention,” McDaniels said. “We certainly can’t afford to have four starters out at the same time.”

The heat and humidity isn’t a problem for everybody.

“I’ve never cramped in my life,” said quarterback Kyle Orton. “I’m not fast enough to cramp or pull anything. Hopefully our wide receivers and all those guys will be ready to go but personally, I’m not concerned about it.”

Some, like cornerback Champ Bailey, feel the warmth helps.

“I actually like the heat better. I could do without the humidity, but the heat lets me (get) a little looser,” he said. “You don’t really pull muscles as much in the heat.”

THE BRONCOS CONCLUDED PRACTICE on Friday without right tackle Ryan Harris and safety Darcel McBath. Neither has practiced all week because of ankle and forearm injuries, respectively.

Man-Goblin
09-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Just got back from a trip to Jacksonville. Obviously more humid, but it's actually cooler temperature-wise than it's been here in North Carolina all year. That said, the team better be hydrated.

Rock Chalk
09-10-2010, 01:20 PM
40% humidity wont give a heat index of 10 degrees.

90% will. But 40% humidity is about a bad humid day in Denver.

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 02:06 PM
This. I live in Atlanta and it has been brutal this summer. Worst we've seen in the 15 years my wife and I have lived here. It will be insanely hot on the field. High of 93, humidity around 70%, a dew point of 70, with a UV factor of 10 at kickoff. That means a heat index of around 101-103. That doesn't even factor in the added 10-20 degrees (depending on wind and surface exposure) being on the field will bring. The thing that folks who've never experienced it don't get is that the sweat on your body does not evaporate in this kind of weather, instead it begins to act as an insulator (feels like you are wrapped in saran wrap and stuck in a sauna). Once the super-heating begins the cramps are going to happen as the vascular system collapses to protect and cool the internal organs depriving the muscles of oxygen rich blood. Teams that play down here at all levels have players cramping all the time this time of year, just a factor playing in the South. Aclimation is key, but it is particularly tough on teams like the Broncos coming from the dry air of the Rocky Mountains (the Colorado Plateau is high altitude desert after all). To say this is "no big deal" or they should just "tough it out" is ignorance at best, to compare it to playing HOCKEY in an indoor air conditioned arena? I don't even know what to call that, I play in an adult hockey summer league here TO GET OUT OF THE HEAT. High rotation of our players will be key, and jumping out to an early lead would be huge as it will force the Wads to abandon the run. As for players who grew up playing here, don't count no more. They have aclimated to Denver by now, so the only benefit they have is knowing that they have done it before. I still see us winning this one 24-13.

Man, I still don't buy into this heat and humidity factor. I went from born and raised in Denver to Ft. Jackson South Carolina for boot camp in June, July and August and I felt great. Won the PT competition in boot camp for the whole company of 220 men, as a matter of fact.

I could run all day at that low altitude, just made sure I drank a lot of water and got the salt in to replace the salts sweated out. I had no problems at all. If you're in shape in Denver, you're gonna do just fine in Florida.

oubronco
09-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Should've started hydrating 2 days ago cause it's going to come out way faster than you can put it in

baja
09-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Best hydrating liquid ever = blend whole watermelon with only the green skin removed.

second best = coconut water

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I see this Southeast heat & humidity bogeyman appear every year. Same as the East Coast time-difference bogeyman appears every year.

If you're in shape and want to win, the Southeast heat and humidity doesn't matter.

If you're in shape and want to win, the measly two hour time difference between Denver and the East Coast doesn't matter.

I see them as excuses for losing, plain and simple.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Best hydrating liquid ever = blend whole watermelon with only the green skin removed.

Wasn't there a tradition where a number of players started drinking pickle juice to stay hydrated? Hell, they used to sell the stuff around here with Jason Witten's name on it.

Chris
09-10-2010, 03:01 PM
We should just rename this thread Broncos vs Humidity

Naggle Nole
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Wasn't there a tradition where a number of players started drinking pickle juice to stay hydrated? Hell, they used to sell the stuff around here with Jason Witten's name on it.

I remember Duce Staley having a big Week One game a few years back for the Eagles and he was crediting pickle juice as his "secret"

Inkana7
09-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah, Pickle Juice works to combat cramps and such. A bunch of kids on my high school team drank it.

baja
09-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Careful recommending pickle juice without explaining what it actually is, God knows what some people will end up drinking. ;D

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 03:21 PM

That sure would go down easy. I remember there was some thing about pickle juice a few years ago. The reason pickle juice works is because that vinegar solution not only adds in some salts, but also makes you thirsty so you drink more water.

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 03:33 PM

You go and drink some pickle juice, aka vinegar, and see if it doesn't make you thirsty. Vinegar, soy sauce, great additions to a diet. And pickles of course are a great addition to a diet. How can you go wrong with pickled cucumbers, pickled onions, that's what men are made of. I love vinegar and onions, who doesn't? Barbecue some brats, some vinegar and onions on the side, good stuff.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-10-2010, 03:36 PM
You go and drink some pickle juice, aka vinegar, and see if it doesn't make you thirsty. Vinegar, soy sauce, great additions to a diet. And pickles of course are a great addition to a diet. How can you go wrong with pickled cucumbers, pickled onions, that's what men are made of. I love vinegar and onions, who doesn't? Barbecue some brats, some vinegar and onions on the side, good stuff.

I think that's the key. They need to eat a full BBQ lunch right before the game.

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 03:50 PM
I think that's the key. They need to eat a full BBQ lunch right before the game.

C'mon man, ribs are out. Juevos rancheros with pickled peppers, that would work. Corn tortillas, some carnitas, yeah, they'll be ok.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-10-2010, 03:51 PM
The guys should keep a jar of pickled eggs on the sidelines and just pop one when they start feeling tired.

Atwater His Ass
09-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Of course I do. That's massive. It's the reason I'd rather have a Clady jersey over any other offensive player. Having said that, if we can get the ball out quickly we can mitigate our weakness on the line. It's not an awful line at the moment, it's a line with talent that just needs to get in synch (and healthy). Expect lots of screens.

So you aren't concerned about starting 2 rookies and both tackles being injured? lol.

There's some talented players on the OL, but I wouldn't say it's talented. It's unproven but has potential. It's a HUGE question mark. And Orton isn't the most mobile of guys and since he doesn't have a history of winning games by himself, it's even more of a concern that Moreno is hurt coupled with this injured OL.

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2010, 04:01 PM
OK it's bet

I let you know yours after I win.

You do realize Punisher won't show up if he loses, right?

Cito Pelon
09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
The guys should keep a jar of pickled eggs on the sidelines and just pop one when they start feeling tired.

Yeah, if you can stomach pickled eggs. Not to mention they should dip their fingers in those super hot chilis, those Habaneros, and then poke the opposing player in the eye. I'd probably do that if I played on the interior.

Well, maybe not. I'd only have one finger loaded with the Habanero, and only deploy it depending on circumstances. Fair is fair.

cmhargrove
09-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, Pickle Juice works to combat cramps and such. A bunch of kids on my high school team drank it.

My boy dranks him some "Pickle Drank" also. He's a 300lb linneman here in Oklahoma, and they have the "Pickle Drank" on the sidelines when the boys get cramps. He drinks the version without the Codeine...

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2010, 04:08 PM

Or, he's a whacky idea, just drink more gatorade!

PRBronco
09-10-2010, 04:22 PM

****, that'd be nice.

Chris
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
So you aren't concerned about starting 2 rookies and both tackles being injured? lol.

There's some talented players on the OL, but I wouldn't say it's talented. It's unproven but has potential. It's a HUGE question mark. And Orton isn't the most mobile of guys and since he doesn't have a history of winning games by himself, it's even more of a concern that Moreno is hurt coupled with this injured OL.

I have higher expectations for Orton this year based on what I've seen in the preseason. I think he can be a top 10 QB now that he has the system down. He's also moving around to avoid the rush a HELL of a lot better (certainly not something I expected coming into camp). That's why I'm optimistic.

Atwater His Ass
09-11-2010, 04:43 AM
I have higher expectations for Orton this year based on what I've seen in the preseason. I think he can be a top 10 QB now that he has the system down. He's also moving around to avoid the rush a HELL of a lot better (certainly not something I expected coming into camp). That's why I'm optimistic.

Ok. Your astute "preseason" observation.

You guys are just ridiculous with your homerism.

I just dont' understand how people can hold the view that this team is good until proven otherwise, when in fact, the view based on the facts should be this team is horrible until proven otherwise.

Hey, but we're better at QB and WR playing in a place notorious for weather conidtions with banged up RB's and OL, but "that should be enough to see us through yeah"? ROFL!

The MVPlaya
09-11-2010, 07:52 AM

I just dont' understand how people can hold the view that this team is good until proven otherwise, when in fact, the view based on the facts should be this team is horrible until proven otherwise.

Hey, but we're better at QB and WR playing in a place notorious for weather conidtions with banged up RB's and OL, but "that should be enough to see us through yeah"? ROFL!

Hey, why don't you go vote or post in the prediction thread? I mean quite obviously you think we're a ****ty team, so make a prediction and we'll see how it all turns out in the end.

Pseudofool
09-11-2010, 08:04 AM
I just dont' understand how people can hold the view that this team is good until proven otherwise, when in fact, the view based on the facts should be this team is horrible until proven otherwise.So it's foolish to take a view of the team until they have actually played a real game? That is, unless you look at the "facts," then it's perfectly acceptable to pronounce the team horrible.

Dagmar
09-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Punished will frequent this site only after losses and never if we have a winning record. This is a guy who wished death on McDaniels.

Los Broncos
09-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Punished will frequent this site only after losses and never if we have a winning record. This is a guy who wished death on McDaniels.

Wished death on our coach? perfect, just perfect.

Br0nc0Buster
09-11-2010, 08:56 AM
lol yeah I dont get it, its apparently irresponsible to think this team is above average before a game starts, but assuming it is horrible is fine....

we went 8-8 last year, not 2-14, we werent horrible last year, dont know when exactly during the offseason we became horrible, but I guess we did

there is no such thing as players improving with familiarity in the same system I guess, I think the rules are if you lose Dumervil and Marshall your team must forfeit

Mediator12
09-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Seriously, why does the team have to be horrible or great? This was an average team when McDaniels took over and it was an average team last year. I would hope that they could be slightly above average this year in year two of a new system and with better personnel to run that sytem.

I would think this is a 9-7 to 7-9 team right now, depending on the injuries to key players. I would go a little higher if Dumervil were available and say 10-6 to 7-9. However, I still hope they get lightning in a bottle like they did to start last year.

Man-Goblin
09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Seriously, why does the team have to be horrible or great? This was an average team when McDaniels took over and it was an average team last year. I would hope that they could be slightly above average this year in year two of a new system and with better personnel to run that sytem.

I would think this is a 9-7 to 7-9 team right now, depending on the injuries to key players. I would go a little higher if Dumervil were available and say 10-6 to 7-9. However, I still hope they get lightning in a bottle like they did to start last year.

You were a big proponent of some of the fast start in '09 being attributed to the new coaching staff/system, if I remember correctly. I totally agree, but I'm also hoping this year that the switch to Martindale will buy them a few weeks of teams trying to figure out exactly what they're trying to do on the defensive side of the ball.