PDA

View Full Version : What teams in the NFL run non-tackle training camps?

The MVPlaya
09-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Does anyone have a list of teams that run non-tackle training camps?

TheReverend
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
No one runs a "non-tackle" training camp...

TheReverend
09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Do you mean a TC where taking the player to the ground is limited most of the time?

The MVPlaya
09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Do you mean a TC where taking the player to the ground is limited most of the time?

yeah, like a Shanahan type camp. I think Dolphins are another team that limit this...

worm
09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Joe Montana was on the Dan Patrick show today talking about how Walsh always ran that type of camp.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of coaches from the Walsh tree followed a similar approach. It worked pretty well in SF.

cutthemdown
09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
no team does that. Some do it less but even walsh has full tackle scrimmages. Back then they just did it more against other teams. All teams tackle. How do you tell if a young player can tackle, or if a vet can still play, without tackling?

The MVPlaya
09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
no team does that. Some do it less but even walsh has full tackle scrimmages. Back then they just did it more against other teams. All teams tackle. How do you tell if a young player can tackle, or if a vet can still play, without tackling?

Read the thread - I meant a less physical or limited contact camp like a Shanny type camp.

extralife
09-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I wonder if MVPlaya is going to unleash a "surprise" twist on us before this is all over.

Mediator12
09-08-2010, 09:28 PM
It depends on the team. The Colts run one of the softest camps in the NFL, because of their continuity and veterans. Heck, their QB's are one of the only teams NOT to wear different colored jerseys in TC.

However, even they run full contact practices in Full pads once every three days. Now, just try and watch them tackle in preseason or the first game. It's usually an Epic Fail ;D

Broncoman13
09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
No one runs a "non-tackle" training camp...

Some of the kids take the whole "Camp Shanahan" thing a little too literally. ;D

broncosteven
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Bears were bashed all camp because they didn't "bring guys to the ground" enough for the local media.

The score went on for a good 2 weeks about how duh bears d will forget how to tackle in RS because they didn't hit in TC.

Duh bears are also realively healthy outside of their LT.

Broncoman13
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
It depends on the team. The Colts run one of the softest camps in the NFL, because of their continuity and veterans. Heck, their QB's are one of the only teams NOT to wear different colored jerseys in TC.

However, even they run full contact practices in Full pads once every three days. Now, just try and watch them tackle in preseason or the first game. It's usually an Epic Fail ;D

"Ummm Mr. Rookie 'Joe bag'o donuts', yeah you... Uh, you just hit Peyton Manning.... Go get your playbook. Yup, right now. Go ahead and get Tony's (Ugoh) too while you're at it. How the hell he let your sorry ass through is beyond me, but it won't happen again."

and now you know the story behind Tony Ugoh getting the axe. :peace:

Missouribronc
09-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Can this thread.

Its either the injury argument or the collapse argument, and if you've even remotely been paying attention its been the same difference in Denver for several years. In literary terms we call it irony.

Broncoman13
09-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Can this thread.

Its either the injury argument or the collapse argument, and if you've even remotely been paying attention its been the same difference in Denver for several years. In literary terms we call it irony.

Actually I don't think that was the intent though some will spin it that way. I think MVP is probably one of the last ones that would say McD's physical camps are causing the injuries. I think a good portion of the injuries happened in the first few days while the players were in shells if I'm not mistaken.

Missouribronc
09-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Actually I don't think that was the intent though some will spin it that way. I think MVP is probably one of the last ones that would say McD's physical camps are causing the injuries. I think a good portion of the injuries happened in the first few days while the players were in shells if I'm not mistaken.

OK, so he's going at the collapse argument?

See, there was an either/or there.

Broncoman13
09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
OK, so he's going at the collapse argument?

See, there was an either/or there.

Doubt it, he's about as pro-Broncos staff as anyone on this board. I think he was just asking out of curiosity.

Missouribronc
09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Ok, so...why ask the question? What's the angle?

Requiem
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Cause he wanted to Ewok.

Missouribronc
09-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Cause he wanted to Ewok.

Touche C3P0.

Brewer
09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I think the Officiating Teams run non-tackle camps... and I don't think the grounds crews are allowed to tackle each other. Especially the guy on the big mower.

Requiem
09-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Touche C3P0.

When I'm hungry pussy looks like pie.

The MVPlaya
09-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Can this thread.

No, it was actually a serious question. I wanted to see if running physical camps make a difference. I know that the most physical teams in the league run "physical camps." However when I was looking around the Dolphins forums, it seems as if they don't run much of a physical camp yet they're a run heavy team, and Sparano comes from a Parcells tree which preaches physicality.

My question is, can you be a physical team like a Steelers, Eagles, Ravens, Niners, and NOT run a physical camp?

Missouribronc
09-09-2010, 06:38 AM
No, it was actually a serious question. I wanted to see if running physical camps make a difference. I know that the most physical teams in the league run "physical camps." However when I was looking around the Dolphins forums, it seems as if they don't run much of a physical camp yet they're a run heavy team, and Sparano comes from a Parcells tree which preaches physicality.

My question is, can you be a physical team like a Steelers, Eagles, Ravens, Niners, and NOT run a physical camp?

Were the Broncos physical when they won their Super Bowl? I'd like to think they were. They seemed to be to me, and Shanahan ran some pretty light camps. That could have changed now 12 years later, though, too.