PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign DT Kevin Vickerson, release Le Kevin Smith

BMarsh615
09-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Broncos signed former Seahawks DT Kevin Vickerson.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/23242010010

WABronco
09-07-2010, 08:09 AM
nice he had a real nice pre-season. Solid depth.

MABroncoFan
09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Nice pickup. Who was cut to make room?

JCMElway
09-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Who gets cut?

Chris
09-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Are we going to sneak someone on to the practice squad?

PRBronco
09-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Nice size. Taking Marcus Thomas' spot maybe?

MABroncoFan
09-07-2010, 08:23 AM
My guess would be L. Smith.

SoDak Bronco
09-07-2010, 08:32 AM
JosinaAnderson (https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson)
Fox 31 Alert: Sources: Broncos release Le Kevin Smith after picking up DT Kevin Vickerson half a minute ago (https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/23246747536) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)

SoDak Bronco
09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
My guess would be L. Smith.

nice guess

outdoor_miner
09-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Our DL does not exactly inspire confidence. Green is a real disappointment to me. Cutting him means we have zero pass rushing ability from the DL. At least last year Peterson and Holliday could provide a little pressure on 3rd downs. I don't see anyone with that ability this year.

PRBronco
09-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Our DL does not exactly inspire confidence. Green is a real disappointment to me. Cutting him means we have zero pass rushing ability from the DL. At least last year Peterson and Holliday could provide a little pressure on 3rd downs. I don't see anyone with that ability this year.

I'll give you Vonnie, but I see people around my office with more ability than Kenny Peterson.

outdoor_miner
09-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I wasn't a huge fan of Peterson or anything, but he did occassionaly generate pressure... There is absolutely nothing on the line this year (pass-rush wise). I'm sure they'll move Hunter/Ayers/Moss around, but still. Would be nice to have SOMEONE who could potentially get to the QB.

Chris
09-07-2010, 08:53 AM
He's been 4-3 guy his whole career. Maybe 3-4 will bring out his best.

Posted 49 tackles, nine quarterback pressures, three passes defensed … Made his first career start at defensive tackle against Jacksonville (11/1/09) … Tied for the team lead in quarterback pressures twice in 2009 (vs. ARI, vs. MIA). at Pittsburgh (9/10): Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and registered five tackles. Houston (9/20): Inactive. at N.Y. Jets (9/27): Saw action as a reserve at defensive tackle and posted five tackles, including a stop for loss and a quarterback pressure. at Jacksonville (10/4): Played as a reserve at defensive tackle and recorded four tackles and a pass defensed … Batted down a pass intended for Mike Sims-Walker in the second quarter. Indianapolis (10/11): Played as a reserve at defensive tackle and collected three tackles and a pass defensed … Batted down a short pass intended for Pierre Garcon in the third quarter. at New England (10/18): Played as a reserve at defensive tackle and posted six tackles. Jacksonville (11/1): Made his first career start at defensive tackle and collected two tackles and a quarterback pressure in the Titans’ 30-13 victory. at San Francisco (11/8): Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and recorded two tackles in the Titans’ 34-27 victory. Buffalo (11/15): Inactive. at Houston (11/23): Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and posted three tackles and a pass defensed in the Titans’ 20-17 Monday Night Football victory … Batted down a pass intended for Kevin Walter at the line of scrimmage in the first quarter. Arizona (11/29): Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and recorded three tackles and two quarterback pressures in the Titans’ 20-17 come-from-behind victory. at Indianapolis (12/6): Saw action as a reserve at defensive tackle and registered two tackles and a quarterback pressure. St. Louis (12/13): Inactive. Miami (12/20): Played as a reserve at defensive tackle and posted five tackles, including a stop for loss and two quarterback pressures in the Titans’ 27-24 overtime win … Teamed with Gerald McRath to stuff Lousaka Polite for a one-yard loss on a rush up the middle on third-and-two in the third quarter. San Diego (12/25): Saw action as a reserve at defensive tackle and notched five tackles. at Seattle (1/3): Started at defensive end and registered four tackles, including a stop for loss and a quarterback pressure in the Titans’ season-ending 17-13 victory … Stuffed Julius Jones for a one-yard loss on a rush off right guard in the second quarter.

cmhargrove
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM

I think we will be seeing lots of LB blitzes.

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2010, 09:25 AM
LeKevin was a Patriots guy too. That's two former patriots dline players that McD brought in and then cut: Smith and Green.

BigPlayShay
09-07-2010, 09:30 AM
I think we will be seeing lots of LB blitzes.

I think we will be seeing some 4-3. Getting Ayers, Hunter (maybe Moss) with their hands in the dirt.

Kaylore
09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Yet more evidence we may be running more 4-3 than people think this year.

Dedhed
09-07-2010, 09:44 AM

I think that's a legitimate concern, however the downside of guys like Peterson and Holliday was the ultimate downfall of the 2009 Broncos.

I am far more confident in this DLs ability to be physical and hold up against the run and over the course of the season, and I'm willing to trade a little third down pressure for that.

the caveat is that the LBs need to step up and generate more pressure. Losing Elvis was a huge blow to that, and we'll have to see whether Ayers, Hunter, Moss, and Mays can make up for at least a portion of that loss.

Overall I vastly prefer this front 7 to the 2009 version, but like anything, time will tell.

DenverBrit
09-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Looks like a nice DT/NT pick up.

Big Vick bringing some nasty to Seahawks' defense

Kevin Vickerson is getting together with some old buddies Saturday night, but don't expect it to be all laughs and good times.

The Seahawks' new defensive tackle has a sense of humor and a kind side to him, but that won't be in evidence when he lines up against his former Tennessee Titans teammates in the 7 p.m. preseason game at Qwest Field.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/library/VickersonKevinTitansGetty.jpg
Kevin Vickerson

Big Vick, as the Seahawks call him, brings a certain presence with him on the football field. At 6-foot-5, 321 pounds, he's a mountain of a man. And this is a large fellow with a mean streak when he's between the lines.

He was in the middle of a training camp scuffle Tuesday with offensive guard Mike Gipson, something that surprised no one who has watched the Seahawks practices and seen the way Vickerson mixes things up in the trenches.

"They want me to be a big, nasty dude in the middle and that's what I am," Vickerson said Thursday. "You can't be nice in there. You've got to be a dominating force. You've got to have that mindset of coming out dominating every play, every day."

Vickerson needs to live up to that motto over the long haul, of course. He came to Seattle largely overlooked in the LenDale White draft-day trade, but the Seahawks were intrigued by his run-stuffing ability and potential.

He's started just two games in five NFL seasons, but recorded 49 tackles last year for the Titans and could just be coming into his own at 27 if he can stay healthy and motivated.

Vickerson views this as a fresh start in Seattle, an opportunity to really make his mark for the first time since being drafted by Miami in the seventh round out of Michigan State in 2005.

"I'm just trying to get the whole defense down to a 'T' and get myself in shape," he said. "I'm excited to play a good season. I have big expectations for myself and this team, so I'm just trying to get it going and get it rolling.

"So far, so good. It's a work in progress. A day at a time. You just keep chopping at that wood, just chopping down that tree. That's all you can really do."

He's challenging Colin Cole for the nose tackle job in the Seahawks' new defensive alignment, having split time with last year's starter on the No. 1 unit this week, and coach Pete Carroll said he's anxious to see how he plays Saturday night.
Picture
Kevin Vickerson spent the past three seasons with the Titans, who he'll play against Saturday in his Seahawks' debut. (Getty Images/Jamie Squire)

Vickerson spent the past three seasons with Tennessee. And while, yes, he remembers the Titans, he insists that doesn't change his outlook for this weekend's game.

"There's no extra oomph," he said. "I guess a lot of guys would think it would be. Of course it's my old team, but it's a preseason game. There's nothing on the line. I'm trying to go out and get ready and see how the scheme of this defense is and how I fit in and what's going on with me and see where our line is and where we're at as a unit, so this is a good test."

But when pressed, Vickerson acknowledges that some of his old teammates -- including star running back Chris Johnson -- have let him know they're coming.

"He said a little bit of stuff this offseason," Vickerson said with a smile. "And Nate Washington and Vince Young. ... all the guys have been talking. A couple have been calling and talking junk. But we're just joking. It's all fun. We're competitors, so once you go at it like that on the field, you're always going to go hard. They know that. It is what it is."

Johnson, who rushed for 2,006 yards last season and finished his season with a 134-yard day at Qwest Field in a 17-13 Titans' win, likely won't play a lot on Saturday. But Vickerson says he's ready for another breakthrough season.

"He's a God-gifted back," said Vickerson, who practiced against the rising star the past two seasons. "He's got speed, eyes, feet, hands out of the backfield, vision. He's the total package. He's a good friend and a real good dude. Just seeing him grow from coming into the league to where he is now, I think 2,500 yards is not to far out of his reach."

But if Johnson happens to find himself within Vickerson's reach on Saturday, there'll be no let up from big No. 94. On the field, he knows his role.

"I'm a big dude," he said. "If they want somebody to take on two guys and clog the two-gap, that's what I'm going to do. If they want me to blitz or whatever, I'll do what they ask. I'm just trying to get it to where I can be an impact player."

An impact player with a little nasty in him? That certainly would be a welcome presence for a Seahawks' defensive line in need of both of those in large doses.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/218031.asp

SoDak Bronco
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
he'll be out for blood in week 2 against the Seahags

KevinJames
09-07-2010, 09:55 AM
I think were gonna be seeing a normal 3-4 look on obvious running downs and when the offense has a 2 WR set out there, in this look we will have Ayers and Hunter sometimes Moss rushing from the OLB position

on 3rd and long and other obvious passing situations than we will see a 4-3 nickel look with Ayers lined up at DE or DT, Hunter lined up at DE, Moss lined up at DE or standing up off the line of scrimmage where the linebackers line up I seen this a lot. I think Cox will see the field a lot. Also you might see 3 down linemen and Hag go to the outside with Woodyard or Mays in there at LB to blitz from the middle or play coverage while DJ blitzes.

I think we will be do doing a lot of shuffling and showing different looks including some awkward front 7 looks it seems like they are going to wanna generate more pressure by making it confusing for the offense to know what players are coming with a deeper CB group this year I could see us blitzing our corners and safeties a lot more too.

baja
09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
So this is the third player we grabbed off the scrap heap of a poor team. What can we expect from this defense?

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Looks like a nice DT/NT pick up.

Big Vick bringing some nasty to Seahawks' defense

Kevin Vickerson is getting together with some old buddies Saturday night, but don't expect it to be all laughs and good times.

The Seahawks' new defensive tackle has a sense of humor and a kind side to him, but that won't be in evidence when he lines up against his former Tennessee Titans teammates in the 7 p.m. preseason game at Qwest Field.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/library/VickersonKevinTitansGetty.jpg
Kevin Vickerson

Big Vick, as the Seahawks call him, brings a certain presence with him on the football field. At 6-foot-5, 321 pounds, he's a mountain of a man. And this is a large fellow with a mean streak when he's between the lines.

He was in the middle of a training camp scuffle Tuesday with offensive guard Mike Gipson, something that surprised no one who has watched the Seahawks practices and seen the way Vickerson mixes things up in the trenches.

"They want me to be a big, nasty dude in the middle and that's what I am," Vickerson said Thursday. "You can't be nice in there. You've got to be a dominating force. You've got to have that mindset of coming out dominating every play, every day."

Vickerson needs to live up to that motto over the long haul, of course. He came to Seattle largely overlooked in the LenDale White draft-day trade, but the Seahawks were intrigued by his run-stuffing ability and potential.

He's started just two games in five NFL seasons, but recorded 49 tackles last year for the Titans and could just be coming into his own at 27 if he can stay healthy and motivated.

Vickerson views this as a fresh start in Seattle, an opportunity to really make his mark for the first time since being drafted by Miami in the seventh round out of Michigan State in 2005.

"I'm just trying to get the whole defense down to a 'T' and get myself in shape," he said. "I'm excited to play a good season. I have big expectations for myself and this team, so I'm just trying to get it going and get it rolling.

"So far, so good. It's a work in progress. A day at a time. You just keep chopping at that wood, just chopping down that tree. That's all you can really do."

He's challenging Colin Cole for the nose tackle job in the Seahawks' new defensive alignment, having split time with last year's starter on the No. 1 unit this week, and coach Pete Carroll said he's anxious to see how he plays Saturday night.
Picture
Kevin Vickerson spent the past three seasons with the Titans, who he'll play against Saturday in his Seahawks' debut. (Getty Images/Jamie Squire)

Vickerson spent the past three seasons with Tennessee. And while, yes, he remembers the Titans, he insists that doesn't change his outlook for this weekend's game.

"There's no extra oomph," he said. "I guess a lot of guys would think it would be. Of course it's my old team, but it's a preseason game. There's nothing on the line. I'm trying to go out and get ready and see how the scheme of this defense is and how I fit in and what's going on with me and see where our line is and where we're at as a unit, so this is a good test."

But when pressed, Vickerson acknowledges that some of his old teammates -- including star running back Chris Johnson -- have let him know they're coming.

"He said a little bit of stuff this offseason," Vickerson said with a smile. "And Nate Washington and Vince Young. ... all the guys have been talking. A couple have been calling and talking junk. But we're just joking. It's all fun. We're competitors, so once you go at it like that on the field, you're always going to go hard. They know that. It is what it is."

Johnson, who rushed for 2,006 yards last season and finished his season with a 134-yard day at Qwest Field in a 17-13 Titans' win, likely won't play a lot on Saturday. But Vickerson says he's ready for another breakthrough season.

"He's a God-gifted back," said Vickerson, who practiced against the rising star the past two seasons. "He's got speed, eyes, feet, hands out of the backfield, vision. He's the total package. He's a good friend and a real good dude. Just seeing him grow from coming into the league to where he is now, I think 2,500 yards is not to far out of his reach."

But if Johnson happens to find himself within Vickerson's reach on Saturday, there'll be no let up from big No. 94. On the field, he knows his role.

"I'm a big dude," he said. "If they want somebody to take on two guys and clog the two-gap, that's what I'm going to do. If they want me to blitz or whatever, I'll do what they ask. I'm just trying to get it to where I can be an impact player."

An impact player with a little nasty in him? That certainly would be a welcome presence for a Seahawks' defensive line in need of both of those in large doses.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/218031.asp

Sounds like a guy with a lot of promis but little production. Anyone know why Seattle let him walk?

Beantown Bronco
09-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a guy with a lot of promis but little production. Anyone know why Seattle let him walk?

Probably has something to do with the "little production" part of your first sentence. :poke:

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Probably has something to do with the "little production" part of your first sentence. :poke:

ROFL!

:yayaya:

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing that LeKevin must really suck if he's getting dumped for this Vickers guy...

Chris
09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Mystical Machine Gun Man

http://americanhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/img/media/818_l.jpg

UberBroncoMan
09-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Probably the same reason the Dolphins and Titans did.

There's something we don't know about that is causing this 6'5'' 320 dude to be released by three teams in 5 years.

Dedhed
09-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Probably the same reason the Dolphins and Titans did.

There's something we don't know about that is causing this 6'5'' 320 dude to be released by three teams in 5 years.

While that's entirely true, both of those teams have also had far superior DL play than the Broncos in every one of those 5 years.

PRBronco
09-07-2010, 10:36 AM
While that's entirely true, both of those teams have also had far superior DL play than the Broncos in every one of those 5 years.

Close. He came to Seattle in the trade for Lendale White.

They really botched that trade.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
LeKevin was a Patriots guy too. That's two former patriots dline players that McD brought in and then cut: Smith and Green.

McDaniels is tearing this team apart!

Br0nc0Buster
09-07-2010, 10:56 AM
The consensus I got from Seahawks fans when I was browsing to see who this guy was is that this was a surprise cut and many thought he played quite well in the preseason

More said than what we saw from Smith I guess

Hulamau
09-07-2010, 10:56 AM
So this is the third player we grabbed off the scrap heap of a poor team. What can we expect from this defense?

We may need to score some points on offense Baja .. :approve:

And maybe Vickerson turns out to be a steal ... we're do for a good break after all the crappy luck this offseason.

UberBroncoMan
09-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Miami had Vonnie Holliday on the team during that time. So this means we let a superior DL go? (personally he kicked the **** out of Jarvis Green as a pass rusher for us last year)

Vegas_Bronco
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM

And maybe Vickerson turns out to be a steal ... we're do for a good break after all the crappy luck this offseason.

Points on offense? Hmmmmm regrettably this means Prater to the Pro Bowl?

baja
09-07-2010, 11:02 AM

no doubt!

Where are you these days bra

boppool
09-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I like the signing. Hopefully, by cutting LeKevin, McD would learn the lesson that Patriots way is not always best way and create his own brand of team.

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I like the signing. Hopefully, by cutting LeKevin, McD would learn the lesson that Patriots way is not always best way and create his own brand of team.

what?... what was that you just said?... I can't take my eyes off your avy long enough to digest your post... :sunshine:

epicSocialism4tw
09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Lots of "Kevin" happening here.

~Crash~
09-07-2010, 12:05 PM

and a 5th round pick down the drain..

Dedhed
09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Miami had Vonnie Holliday on the team during that time. So this means we let a superior DL go? (personally he kicked the **** out of Jarvis Green as a pass rusher for us last year)

That idea works if you discount age. Although, I think Elway would probably still be the starting QB in Denver if age wasn't a factor in performance.

Florida_Bronco
09-07-2010, 12:18 PM

That 5th round pick got us both Hochstein and Smith.

footstepsfrom#27
09-07-2010, 12:30 PM
49 tackles from an interior D-line guy isn't bad.

oubronco
09-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Looks like a fiery guy

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/306/622/92902088_display_image.jpg?1279609672

Drek
09-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Hochstein played more games last year than 90% of 5th round picks ever do, so the trade was already a win for us.

PRBronco
09-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Hochstein played more games last year than 90% of 5th round picks ever do, so the trade was already a win for us.

Drek I have feelings for your posts. If I was single I would sheepishly ask them if they'd like to grab a coffee sometime, and then creep their facebook.

WABronco
09-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Looks like a fiery guy

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/306/622/92902088_display_image.jpg?1279609672

Wish we were getting that guy. Wrong Seattle DT, though.

Vickerson is massive. Definitely more imposing than any other DL we have, IMO. Shows some skills too. NICE PICK UP MCD

WABronco
09-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Ya, find some other team that has an ample amount of the type of players you're looking for, JOSH!

Naggle Nole
09-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Looks like a fiery guy

Wish we were getting that guy. Wrong Seattle DT, though.

Yeah that pic is of Brandon Mebane
He has a better pedigree than Vickerson, but fits much more as a 4-3 penetrating DT
I think Vickerson fits what we are doing here more

elsid13
09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
That 5th round pick got us both Hochstein and Smith.

Not really. Hochstein was traded for the 7th that we original got from the Pats in exchanges for Smith and our the 5th. They were related but not the same deal.

elsid13
09-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I think that means that Thomas and Fields will be seeing a lot more time at DE sport during the season and Vickerson will be backing up Williams at NT.

Hercules Rockefeller
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Not really. Hochstein was traded for the 7th that we original got from the Pats in exchanges for Smith and our the 5th. They were related but not the same deal.

And at the end of the day, the Broncos still traded their 2010 5th round pick and ended up with both Smith and Hochstein for the pick.

Boomhauer
09-07-2010, 04:28 PM
JosinaAnderson (https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson)
Fox 31 Alert: Sources: Broncos release Le Kevin Smith after picking up DT Kevin Vickerson half a minute ago (https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/23246747536) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)

Not surprised a DL move was made, but am Smith instead of Fields was released.

UberBroncoMan
09-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Not surprised a DL move was made, but am Smith instead of Fields was released.

Field was our NT all last year. Smith is so unamazing that he went to the Chiefs in the offseason and left without a contract.

Naggle Nole
09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Not to mention Fields has shown himself to be competent as both a NT and DE, while Smith has never shown any more than "just-a-guy" ability at DE

uplink
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM

We didn't really see Green in a real game to know for sure, but Holliday did play well last year. Where is he now?

Darkdoc
09-07-2010, 05:38 PM

I agree it is hard to see a similar result, but someone like Favre was drafted 2nd round in 1991 by Atlanta, then "cast off" in 92, and traded to Green Bay. This had a happy ending.

Granted it is rare, but sometimes it is just the right player in the right place at the right time.

At this time of year, I'm ready to hope for almost any happy result for the Broncos.

Boomhauer
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Since Fields is still around, at least Vickerson won't be the worst DLmen on the team. Surprising considering this is his third team in six months. Kevin Vickerson and LenDale White were both obtained by Seattle from Tennesse this April. The Titans moved up in the fourth and sixth (from #111 to #104 and #185 to #176) in return. Maybe not Seattle's best move.

broncosteven
09-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Yet more evidence we may be running more 4-3 than people think this year.

Do we have the DL depth to run a 4-3 that often?

The thing that scares me is that we now have 2 new guys on the DL a week before the season starts. Sure you can bring in anyone and tell him to rush the passer but learning the 3-4 scheme and plays this late is not ideal.

oubronco
09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Oh that McD is a crafty sucka

Hamrob
09-07-2010, 07:19 PM
McDaniels is tearing this team apart!He's still at it. I thought it was done torn apart already?

baja
09-07-2010, 07:25 PM
He's still at it. I thought it was done torn apart already?

Hey it takes time to tear apart that super bowl team that Shanny built...

KipCorrington25
09-07-2010, 07:47 PM
It's good to see McDaniels is figuring out what we've been saying for a year and a half and that is that the Patriots scraps are garbage not worth bringing in.

Boomhauer
09-08-2010, 11:37 AM
It's good to see McDaniels is figuring out what we've been saying for a year and a half and that is that the Patriots scraps are garbage not worth bringing in.

I'd have to include Hochstein on the 'scrap' list, with Gaffney and McD on the bubble.