PDA

View Full Version : National forecast: A gloomy 2010 for Broncos

The MVPlaya
09-06-2010, 01:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16004882?source=rss&_requestid=6389480

National forecast: A gloomy 2010 for Broncos

Your Denver Broncos will be in no-man's land this season, waffling somewhere between lousy and mediocre.
Hey, don't shoot me! I'm just the messenger, passing along the national vibe.
Sports Illustrated, for example, predicts the Broncos will finish 7-9, third in the AFC West. Fox Sports forecasts the same, but has a few positive things to say: "One huge bright spot: the apparent gains QB Kyle Orton has made in his second year in (Josh) McDaniels' offense, both in accuracy, demeanor and overall knowledge.
The team also appears better equipped to handle things defensively, where the defensive line appears stronger and the secondary is
the best position, top to bottom, on the field."
The Sporting News is not nearly as kind. TSN predicts the Broncos to finish 4-12, last in the AFC West behind the Chargers (12-4), Chiefs (9- 7) and Raiders (5-11). The Sporting News also asked 32 NFL reporters to vote for the best team in each division. The Chargers received 30 votes, the Broncos just two.
In this month's ESPN Magazine, a computer formula was used to spit out this: The Broncos will finish third in the AFC West with an 8-8 record, in front of only the Raiders (5-11). ESPN's

computer picks the Chiefs yes the Chiefs to win the division with a 9-7 record. Hmm ... looks to me like that computer is missing a chip or two.
There is some good news, or sorts, for Broncomaniacs. Pro Football Weekly senior editor Mike Wilkening looked into his crystal ball and predicted the Broncos will finish second in the division behind the Chargers.
"Broncos will exceed expectations again, but Chargers will probably be too tough to overcome in division-title race," writes Wilkening.
My prediction? I think SI got it right. A 7-9 record and third in the AFC West is realistic, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Broncos drop to 5-11.

Los Broncos
09-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I just read this in my new SI issue.

We should finish ahead of KC, Oakland is better well they should be after drafting high the last 7 years.

spdirty
09-06-2010, 01:11 PM
this team better not finish any lower than 8-8.

Mogulseeker
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16004882?source=rss&_requestid=6389480
The Sporting News also asked 32 NFL reporters to vote for the best team in each division. The Chargers received 30 votes, the Broncos just two.

Still, simple mathematics would suggest that 2 votes is still two more than Oakland and KC... yet they still picked the Broncos to finish last... how do you figure?

Sporting News, this is what happens when you sign writers who never finished grad school. Not saying that their writers never finished grade school - just saying it's apparent they haven't, which is way worse.

gunns
09-06-2010, 01:13 PM
And then I'm watching Mike and Mike and they are predicting teams that didn't make the playoffs which ones will this year. No to Denver and KC and Oakland but they will improve. It's a matter of opinion and everyone has a different one. I'll let the team playing decide.

UberBroncoMan
09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
There's no way 5-11 is happening with us facing the NFC West.

oubronco
09-06-2010, 01:22 PM
These articles seem to get everybody stirred up when in reality the Broncos just need to go out and shut them up until then the reports will still be bad

SoCalBronco
09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
There's no way 5-11 is happening with us facing the NFC West.

I agree that we're not going to go 5-11...this is probably a 7 to 9 win team. However, I don't think we're going to go 4-0 vs. the NFC West. In fact, I'm quite concerned about the game against SF in London. SF has become a VERY physical team and they will give us some problems. That's not a game I have marked off as a win. The other three games Denver should have a good shot at, but they aren't absolute locks (maybe the Rams game is).

baja
09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I guess this makes me a homer but I think the Broncos will win a minimum of 10 games

NFLBRONCO
09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Nobody really knows what will happen. I do expect to be 2-0 when we face Peyton. Our lines and running game are my biggest concerns esp first few weeks of season. I don't think we are strong enough YET on lines for playoffs in 2010.

Because we aren't strong enough yet I don't see many games that are sure wins for us regardless of who we play.

Dagmar
09-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Another season where we shock the "experts".

Tim
09-06-2010, 01:31 PM
the same idiots predicted the 2009 sb champs to be 7-9 last year
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html

The Joker
09-06-2010, 01:35 PM
The first 6 games will tell us a lot, if we can get through them with a .500 record I'll be optimistic about our chances.

Lolad
09-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I agree that we're not going to go 5-11...this is probably a 7 to 9 win team. However, I don't think we're going to go 4-0 vs. the NFC West. In fact, I'm quite concerned about the game against SF in London. SF has become a VERY physical team and they will give us some problems. That's not a game I have marked off as a win. The other three games Denver should have a good shot at, but they aren't absolute locks (maybe the Rams game is).

I'm calling it right now that we make Bradford look like a HOF'er

The MVPlaya
09-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm calling it right now that we make Bradford look like a HOF'er

Being that you have no basis, I'm going to note this.

Broncos4tw
09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
The first 6 games will tell us a lot, if we can get through them with a .500 record I'll be optimistic about our chances.

That's true... I mean look at last years first 6 games, that pretty much set the tone for the season! :yayaya:

Ok.. well, maybe not.

Vegas_Bronco
09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Look, let's all quit murdering each other over the final record - just take this like a watered down professional...

one game at a time.

Popps
09-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Depends on Clady's health.

We lost our best defensive player. If we lose our best offensive player at a key position, we're kidding ourselves if we think that's not going to affect us.

How many teams can lose their top two O/D weapons and not struggle?

I'm prepared for anything, but will root for a deep playoff run.

worm
09-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I guess this makes me a homer but I think the Broncos will win a minimum of 10 games

Say '10' enough Baja, and you are bound to be right one of these years.

rugbythug
09-06-2010, 02:54 PM
I love it when they hate us. It does not matter that the First Team O was as good to Great in every Preseason Game. Hate on Baby Hate on.

rbackfactory80
09-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Funny thing is I got pissed off reading this 7-9 prediction and then realized I predicted 7-9 also. I guess if you aren't a Denver fan I don't want to hear it.

Requiem
09-06-2010, 03:11 PM
With the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. . .

baja
09-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Say '10' enough Baja, and you are bound to be right one of these years.

I Know......

....Because it is so important to be to get this right, why my very life depends on it.

Don't you want to play too?

BroncoMan4ever
09-06-2010, 03:16 PM
With the first pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. . .

the Kansas City Chiefs select QB Jake Locker

extralife
09-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Still, simple mathematics would suggest that 2 votes is still two more than Oakland and KC... yet they still picked the Broncos to finish last... how do you figure?

Sporting News, this is what happens when you sign writers who never finished grad school. Not saying that their writers never finished grade school - just saying it's apparent they haven't, which is way worse.

Knowing that <i>two</i> people believe the Broncos to be better than the Chargers (and, subsequently, the Chiefs and Raiders) does not require the assumption that the following thirty, or even a majority of the following thirty, believe the team to be second best.

I would think such a learned scholar would be able to grasp this concept.

worm
09-06-2010, 05:29 PM
I Know......

....Because it is so important to be to get this right, why my very life depends on it.

Don't you want to play too?

If you aren't trying to get the prediction right....then why not say 16-0 every year like Woody?

Don't settle for 10-6 every year. Swing for the fences and go for total enlightment, baja! Or don't you think you deserve it?

brncs_fan
09-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I was thinking 1-14-1 myself. The Jags ready-to-break-out-line owns us week one and it just snowballs from there. By week nine we have traded Orton, who has the second lowest QB rating in the league behind only Cutler, to the eventual Superbowl winner. Quinn manages to keep us respectable winning our only game of the year before he is benched by McDaniels in an apparent attempt to destroy this team for Tebow. He is too busy leading prayer groups between drives to be effective though and the defense gives up.

Naggle Nole
09-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I was thinking 1-14-1 myself. The Jags ready-to-break-out-line owns us week one and it just snowballs from there. By week nine we have traded Orton, who has the second lowest QB rating in the league behind only Cutler, to the eventual Superbowl winner. Quinn manages to keep us respectable winning our only game of the year before he is benched by McDaniels in an apparent attempt to destroy this team for Tebow. He is too busy leading prayer groups between drives to be effective though and the defense gives up.

And the tie? ;)

baja
09-06-2010, 05:47 PM
If you aren't trying to get the prediction right....then why not say 16-0 every year like Woody?

Don't settle for 10-6 every year. Swing for the fences and go for total enlightment, baja! Or don't you think you deserve it?

Who said I'm not trying to get it right.

10 & 6 write it down baby.

While it's true I did say 10 & 6 last season too, it's also true I was a hell of a lot closer that the majority of "informed fans" around here were. I think you were at 4 & 12 if I'm not mistaken.

brncs_fan
09-06-2010, 05:48 PM
And the tie? ;)

Rams 0-0 Broncos.

WolfpackGuy
09-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

I'm thinking 8-8 again.

worm
09-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Who said I'm not trying to get it right.

10 & 6 write it down baby.

While it's true I did say 10 & 6 last season too, it's also true I was a hell of a lot closer that the majority of "informed fans" around here were. I think you were at 4 & 12 if I'm not mistaken.

lol. I am too much of homer to ever say 4-12.

I think we go 9-7 this year (said 10-6 last year like you).

baja
09-06-2010, 06:00 PM
lol. I am too much of homer to ever say 4-12.

I think we go 9-7 this year (said 10-6 last year like you).

So the difference in our predictions is one game over two seasons yet you call mine disingenuous, interesting. ;D

go_broncos
09-06-2010, 06:28 PM
So the difference in our predictions is one game over two seasons yet you call mine disingenuous, interesting. ;D

Baja..if we win 10 or more games this season, i will not post in this site till next season.
You don't need to bet..
I am not homer like you.
I would be shocked if we win 8 games with the current team
(no running game, new OL ,Clady injured, New receivers, no Doom)

baja
09-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Baja..if we win 10 or more games this season, i will not post in this site till next season.
You don't need to bet..
I am not homer like you.
I would be shocked if we win 8 games with the current team
(no running game, new OL ,Clady injured, New receivers, no Doom)

No offense but why would anybody care if you stop posting, just sayin....

go_broncos
09-06-2010, 06:47 PM

no offense...pls continue posting your stupid/idiotic posts..

Spider
09-06-2010, 06:57 PM
12-4 super bowl ..........

Old Dude
09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
The national pessimism doesn't surprise me at all.

First, you look at how a team finished last season. The Broncos dropped their last four in a row, including a 20-point home blowout to the pathetic Chiefs.

The you look at the draft. Top choice has barely seen the field. Next, you have Tebow, who isn't ready to start. Then an offensive lineman and a wide receiver expected to be mere backups this year.

In trades and free agency, they lost Marshall - - who was pretty high profile. J. Williams was a big name pickup, but old and missed most of last year.

Then you have Elvis - - a sack leader gone for the season. Plus Clady banged up and no one knows how it will affect him.

I think that the Broncos had a good draft, picked up some valuable guys at needed positions, and that a few guys (including Orton) will step it up this year with the added experience in the system. But these are all more subtle things and almost every fan of every team probably feels their guys accomplished the same thing.

bronco610
09-07-2010, 08:42 AM

Good one. ROFL!

BroncoInferno
09-07-2010, 09:05 AM

I've learned with the Broncos that the first 6 games don't tell us a thing. Under Shanny, we had several 5-1 or 4-2 starts that went down the drain. Last season, I was convinced we had a quality team after the 6-0 start because we played a pretty tough schedule and were playing excellent defense. Obviously that fell apart. It's going to take about 10 games to know anything about this team, IMHO.

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I think many posters like myself get mad at these national predictions because we think we know more about the Broncos than these national publications and therefore our opinions are more valid than their opinions on the Broncos.

txtebow
09-07-2010, 09:52 AM
@ JAX L
SEA W
INDY L
@ TEN L
@ BAL L
NYJ W (Jets are highly OVERRATED)
OAK W
SF L
bye
KC W
@ SD L
STL W
@ KC L
@ AZ L
@ OAK W
HOU L
SD W

Atwater His Ass
09-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Not really sure what inspires you to say that, considering the epic collapse in the last 8 games last season.

The first 8 games won't tell us anything except if we are in a position to make the playoffs, which any Bronco fan should know, doesn't mean squat when you finish 2-6.

NFLBRONCO
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
With HUGE question marks on both lines I don't see how we expect to improve from last year.

DivineLegion
09-07-2010, 06:10 PM
@ JAX L
SEA W
INDY L
@ TEN L
@ BAL L
NYJ W (Jets are highly OVERRATED)
OAK W
SF L
bye
KC W
@ SD L
STL W
@ KC L
@ AZ L
@ OAK W
HOU L
SD W

No way we lose to the Cardinals at this point that team is disentigrating. The Jags are going to have one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL this season, a banged up Jones-Drew, no option outside of Sims-Walker at reciever, and that statdium is going to be Orange & Blue. The Titans are intresting I have to agree there. San Franscisco is improving but I think Alex Smith will struggle against our secondary. The only thing that worries me about the 9ers is stoping Vernon Davis.

Blart
09-07-2010, 06:15 PM
16-0

Bronco Yoda
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm just glad the season is here. I'm never gloomy when it's football time. 0-16 is better than no football at all anyway. Besides we're going to win the AFCW anyway. Just wait and see.

I gotta have my Bronco fix, win, lose, or completely-screw-the-pooch.

Go Broncos!