PDA

View Full Version : The O-line

Kaylore
08-16-2010, 10:19 AM
I need to re-watch the game tonight as I'm at work. However I wanted to point out even our patchwork line was impressive and the depth wasn't too shabby. Bastiste deserves to be the backup LT ahead of Polumbus based on last night's game. Walton and Beadles had some issues in pass pro. Walton still gives some ground as he did in his career. However both were monsters in the run game. They really moved the line around in the run game (on their very few runs). Overall Orton had a solid pocket and the unit exceeded my expectations. If this is as bad as it gets (few penalties and some blown assignments now and again with a generally solid pocket) we'll be just fine.

Eldorado
08-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Man, I hope you're right.

bronco militia
08-16-2010, 10:21 AM
I need to re-watch the game tonight as I'm at work. However I wanted to point out even our patchwork line was impressive and the depth wasn't too shabby. Bastiste deserves to be the backup LT ahead of Polumbus based on last night's game. Walton and Beadles had some issues in pass pro. Walton still gives some ground as he did in his career. However both were monsters in the run game. They really moved the line around in the run game (on their very few runs). Overall Orton had a solid pocket and the unit exceeded my expectations. If this is as bad as it gets (few penalties and some blown assignments now and again with a generally solid pocket) we'll be just fine.

no doubt.....does anyone know who was at center when Tebow came in? almost every shotgun snap was bad.

Kaylore
08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
no doubt.....does anyone know who was at center when Tebow came in? almost every shotgun snap was bad.

Walton played the entire game. It was his bad. Sloppy.

Dutch
08-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Walton and Beadles played the entire game.

bronco militia
08-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Walton played the entire game. It was his bad. Sloppy.

thanks....impressive start for a couple of rookies (shakes head at a. smith again ;D)

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
We got the beef on both lines up front.

Ray Finkle
08-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Walton and Beadles played the entire game.

so did Bastiste.....this guy looks much better than the complete turd he was in DC last year.

PRBronco
08-16-2010, 10:33 AM
so did Bastiste.....this guy looks much better than the complete turd he was in DC last year.

Did he switch sides? Because I noticed Polumbus in at LT in that Tebow video.

skunk
08-16-2010, 10:36 AM

yes

Kaylore
08-16-2010, 10:39 AM

Yeah I was going to say Polumbus replaced Batiste

cutthemdown
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
They didn't run block very well. I didn't see much of a push to tell you the truth Kaylore. I didn't see anything that makes me feel warm and fuzzy upfront. Hochstien very soft. Hopefully hes not going to start is he?

Cito Pelon
08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
OL starters looked pretty good. They should be proud of themselves.

Smiling Assassin27
08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
With some experienced runners back there, I think the run game looks promising. Keep in mind that it was vanilla on both sides of the ball and that McD clearly wanted to establish the pass to open up the run, though it's virtually impossible to do in a pre-season game with so much turnover in personnel.

I REALLY hope Moreno can stay healthy.

Los Broncos
08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
The line looked good, Orton had lots of time to throw.

I hope to see more deep balls.

Kaylore
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
They didn't run block very well. I didn't see much of a push to tell you the truth Kaylore. I didn't see anything that makes me feel warm and fuzzy upfront. Hochstien very soft. Hopefully hes not going to start is he?

Hochstein is a backup until Kuper's ankle is, which is just a minor twist and he will definitely start the season. Watch Beadles and Walton again. They get some good surge on the few plays we ran. Also bear in mind they played the whole game and the defensive linemen they faced as the game went on came in fresh. Most of the starting line was our backups and they did just fine. With better running backs we will do much better there - especially in short yardage situations.

cmhargrove
08-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I thought pass pro was much better than I expected -- I will go as far as saying that I am very optimistic about what we will get done in the passing game.

i didn't see anything that made me feel good at all about the running game. What did you see Kaylore? I thought the run blocking was horrible.

Cito Pelon
08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Hochstein is a backup until Kuper's ankle is, which is just a minor twist and he will definitely start the season. Watch Beadles and Walton again. They get some good surge on the few plays we ran. Also bear in mind they played the whole game and the defensive linemen they faced as the game went on came in fresh. Most of the starting line was our backups and they did just fine. With better running backs we will do much better there - especially in short yardage situations.

Seemed to me Beadles and Walton worked well together. They looked pretty solid for a pair of rookies along with Batiste. Not bad at all.

enjolras
08-16-2010, 11:32 AM
No push? There where several runs where the left side of the offensive line was 4 or 5 yards up-field. One memorable one involved Lance Ball running for 4 yards without clearing the line (where he predictably fell over as soon as he was actually touched).

I thought the push was pretty damn good overall, as long as Hochstein wasn't involved.

cutthemdown
08-16-2010, 11:59 AM

I didn't think the center looked too bad. But I wasn't blown away. Sort of just have to wait until Clady and Kuper are in there. IMO The line looks really avg without them. Maybe you are better at envisioning how it will be then I am. I agree though add those 2 players and it should look better.

cutthemdown
08-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I hope you guys are right. I probably just focused on Hochstien too much because he really sucks.

Sorry though I still think this is going to be a really long tough yr.

MABroncoFan
08-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Did either Olson play behind Hochstein? I only saw Daniels in there.

oubronco
08-16-2010, 12:25 PM
The o-line was impressive last night I guess d-line must be that good as they have been owning the o-line all camp

Drek
08-16-2010, 12:30 PM
No push? There where several runs where the left side of the offensive line was 4 or 5 yards up-field. One memorable one involved Lance Ball running for 4 yards without clearing the line (where he predictably fell over as soon as he was actually touched).

I thought the push was pretty damn good overall, as long as Hochstein wasn't involved.

Seconded.

On that Ball run in particular Moreno or Buck could've taken that lane for 15+ yards, possibly even to the house. Ball didn't even clear the line.

We need our healthy RBs, but the line was opening up some real solid gaps for a guy to run through.

Kaylore
08-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Seemed to me Beadles and Walton worked well together. They looked pretty solid for a pair of rookies along with Batiste. Not bad at all.

Yeah. They had some issues but for rookies I was expecting a complete disaster: lots of penalties being on the road and the refs traditionally anal in preseason, as well as a complete owning now and again when a vet DT gets the better of one or both them. Not so. I knew the line calls would be better than people thought because Orton would babysit them, but the pass pro and run game surprised me in a good way. We can definitely go to war with these two - especially if Clady can come back ok.

Kaylore
08-16-2010, 12:35 PM
The o-line was impressive last night I guess d-line must be that good as they have been owning the o-line all camp

That's what shocked me the most. I was 100% sure the D-line owning in practice was our patchwork offensive line. Not so. Starting units for both were very good. I'm excited to see them progress and especially see the D-line with Jamal up front. Bannan had a good game.

oubronco
08-16-2010, 12:41 PM
That's what shocked me the most. I was 100% sure the D-line owning in practice was our patchwork offensive line. Not so. Starting units for both were very good. I'm excited to see them progress and especially see the D-line with Jamal up front. Bannan had a good game.

The 1st string d-line owned the Bungholes but the 2nd string didn't get the push and wore down pretty quick

Kaylore
08-16-2010, 12:48 PM
The 1st string d-line owned the Bungholes but the 2nd string didn't get the push and wore down pretty quick

Yeah and I didn't care. Our backups couldn't beat their starters?!?!?!

http://www.borev.net/ohnoes.jpg

Steve Sewell
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah. They had some issues but for rookies I was expecting a complete disaster: lots of penalties being on the road and the refs traditionally anal in preseason, as well as a complete owning now and again when a vet DT gets the better of one or both them. Not so. I knew the line calls would be better than people thought because Orton would babysit them, but the pass pro and run game surprised me in a good way. We can definitely go to war with these two - especially if Clady can come back ok.

Clady-Beadles-Walton-Kuper-Harris

ME LIKEY.

Br0nc0Buster
08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with the pass blocking
I also was expecting ownage with rooks and backups in there

as far as the run blocking, Josh made a comment they were wanting to emphasize the passing game that game
I wont judge them until we get our starters in there, the guys that were toting the rock wont even make the team

Not that expect a dominate running game with Moreno, but I am not worried yet about the running game

skunk
08-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Clady-Beadles-Walton-Kuper-Harris

ME LIKEY.

+ Tebow, Moreno, Royal, Thomas, Decker

5 - 8 years of domination like the world has never seen :strong:

theAPAOps5
08-16-2010, 03:09 PM

I said it in the chat room last night but this OL looked nothing like the one getting destroyed by the DL in training camp the one day I was there. I talked to Montrose and he said the same thing!

kupesdad
08-16-2010, 03:51 PM

Chris said he will practice today. He could have gone to Cincy and would have been fine but there is no reason for him to hurt himself worse. I thought the O-Line looked pretty decent. Orton definitely showed why he is the man. Quinn and Tebow have a ways to go. Overall I'm not too disappointed.

theAPAOps5
08-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey KupesPadre thanks for the update! Tell Chris to take the preseason off Training Camp is cursed this year! Its because of the blasphemes about Tebow!

My concern last night was the line didn't much push on the few run plays they ran, but that is not even a minor concern as there was not enough body of work to judge IMO. That and the real line is nursing injuries.

Any word you can share on Clady, and totally understand if you don't feel comfortable sharing ;)

CEH
08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Hey KupesPadre thanks for the update! Tell Chris to take the preseason off Training Camp is cursed this year! Its because of the blasphemes about Tebow!

My concern last night was the line didn't much push on the few run plays they ran, but that is not even a minor concern as there was not enough body of work to judge IMO. That and the real line is nursing injuries.

Any word you can share on Clady, and totally understand if you don't feel comfortable sharing ;)

Legwold thinks Clady's injury normally takes 8 months whereas Kils says Clady will be back end of August. Leggy says he can't even walk up a flight of stairs right now without 2 hands on the rail

Be interesting to see who's right.

I expect Clady to be PUP'd for the first 6 weeks

theAPAOps5
08-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Legwold thinks Clady's injury normally takes 8 months whereas Kils says Clady will be back end of August. Leggy says he can't even walk up a flight of stairs right now without 2 hands on the rail

What you just referred to is exactly why I am asking. The reports have me worried.

Ray Finkle
08-16-2010, 07:04 PM

that wasn't Leggy, it was Clayton....

CEH
08-16-2010, 07:49 PM
that wasn't Leggy, it was Clayton....

I just listened to Jeff Legwold the other day on the Vic and Gary show in the morning here in Denver

gyldenlove
08-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Between missing Kuper and Clady and working in 2 rookies, that is not really much of a concern. This line will grow and do some big things for us.

theAPAOps5
08-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Between missing Kuper and Clady and working in 2 rookies, that is not really much of a concern. This line will grow and do some big things for us.

I agree thats why I called it less than a minor concern.

lostknight
08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Its hard to overstate how horrific our o-line was for Quinn. For example, the ending play of Quinn's last 1st half drive, from my quinn breakdown:

3-10-CIN 11 (:32) (Shotgun) B.Quinn pass incomplete short right to B.Hall (B.Johnson) [M.Johnson].

_3 man rush_ (read that and weep). 50 and 37 both beat their coverage, and soon all three linemen are chasing Quinn with all of the Bronco linemen out of the play. Quinn is being caught by the linemen (ouch) and doesn't have any hope of getting away from the linemen, and is about to run out of bounds, looks down field and throws in desperation to 29 in quadruple coverage. Honestly folks, I've never even see Cutler make a play that stupid. O-line was disastrous, Quinn was disastrous. If you are still making plays like this this many years into the NFL, you need to wonder what kind of coaching staff he has had since high school.

The MVPlaya
08-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Its hard to overstate how horrific our o-line was for Quinn. For example, the ending play of Quinn's last 1st half drive, from my quinn breakdown:

3-10-CIN 11 (:32) (Shotgun) B.Quinn pass incomplete short right to B.Hall (B.Johnson) [M.Johnson].

_3 man rush_ (read that and weep). 50 and 37 both beat their coverage, and soon all three linemen are chasing Quinn with all of the Bronco linemen out of the play. Quinn is being caught by the linemen (ouch) and doesn't have any hope of getting away from the linemen, and is about to run out of bounds, looks down field and throws in desperation to 29 in quadruple coverage. Honestly folks, I've never even see Cutler make a play that stupid. O-line was disastrous, Quinn was disastrous. If you are still making plays like this this many years into the NFL, you need to wonder what kind of coaching staff he has had since high school.

Cutler has done equivalent and worse. Try again.

theAPAOps5
08-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Cutler has done equivalent and worse. Try again.

Yeah so there lostknight....... :loser:::)

gunns
08-17-2010, 04:24 AM

I was so impressed with these two rookies in their first NFL game. Their mistakes were rookie mistakes and expected much worse from them. Orton had all day to throw. I even got an email from a Charger friend of mine expressing his amazement.