PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down the Tebow Drives

lostknight
08-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I went back and watched all of Tebow's snaps in 24 fps. I will do the same for Orton's successful drives, and Quinn's drives tomorrow, but they don't interest me as much since Orton's were very successful, and Quinn's disastrous. For thoose who don't want to read the whole shindig, Tebow had issues dealing with situations where there was a lot of pressure (not surprising), but was very accurate and actually had pretty good situational awareness.

Tebow's Drives:

- First series.
1st and 10: Four man rush, with a additional defender waiting on the line for the run. Solid roll out and short completion. Didn't risk throwing to the deep target, that a safety was shadowing.
2nd and 5: Four man rush. Hand off, no gain. Linebacks had the play read.
3rd and 5: Blitz showing. 8 men on the line. Tebow points out additional blitzers to the linemen. 34 drops off the line.The sneaks back up. Five man rush completely picked up, Tebow in back of the pocket, 40 yard pass, on the money, but dropped.

- Second Series.
1st and 10: 6 man blitz. Hand off - 29 needed to be more patient, ran into his own man - 50 (walton) going across the LOS.
-2nd and 10. Steps up into the pocket, but 86 beats a double team - 67 (Batiste) and 83 (Riar Greer) after it looks like the pocket is set up. Starts tackling, Tebow going down to his knees completes to 17 (Brit Davis).
-3rd and four - Sellout blitzy by the bengals. Beadles and Walton driven back into Tebow, Tebow throws from twenty just over the hands of a defenders. Willis is the intended receiver, Willis. McDaniels pulls Willis over to the side for a trashing, for not making a play on the ball.

Third Series -This one is pretty interesting in slow-mo, and much more complex then "Tebow didn't see the safety" which is completely bogus.

1st and 10 - Seven man blitz by the Bengals. Sixth man moved into position for blitz after the ball was snapped. Snap is horrible (wide right) to Tebow in the pocket. Front line picks up the blitz, Tebow staring down the receivers on the left side of the field, looses track of his blind side. Bengals 45 starts a delayed blitz (7th man) on Tebow's blind side. Tebow clearly has vision on both the safety and on the corner, there is a window, but it's tight. Tebow begins his windup the ball as 82 starts to make a break to the outside. 82 slips during the break, but Tebow's already committed. Tebow hit as he delivers the ball, ball is off when leaves his arm. 82 not in a position to catch due to the slip, Ball bounces off of the defender. Should have been a interception due the receiver falling down, but velocity on the ball saved the day.

2nd and 10: Stupid Wendy's advertisement makes this hard. 4 man rush. 96 beats 77 like a drum, but Tebow, anticipating another blitz (which didn't occur) has already thrown the ball to 29. No blocking support anywhere for Hall, even though 17 is in the area. 6 yard completion.

3rd and 4: Tebow in shotgun, All receivers well covered for the five step drop. Great footwork by Tebow going back. Reads left side then right side. Full wind up pass to the right side, 82 (Arnett) does a great job up for it, with the receiver draped all over him prior to the catch. 25 yards in the air. Bad support from 85 who stops running in support.

1st and 10. 4 man rush. Someone missed as assignment with 54. Running play - hand off to 29. 1 yard gain.

2nd and 9. 1 TE and 1RB in the back field due to the amount of penetration. Three wideouts. 4 man rush. 92 looks like he has 77 beat, Tebow wheels, but 77 regains contain with help of a double team. Has 19 in the flat, but 97 closed very quickly, tebow pulls it in and takes the sack. Good discipline because a player was underneath lurking for a interception.

3rd and 10: Blitz showing from the Bengals. Tebow in shotgun, 29 in the backfield. Fake a hand off to 29 Two men coming in unblocked, Tebow sees the rush, watching the right side of the field, sees 29 going over to block the two blitzers. 29 chooses to double team rather then pick up the last blitzer. Tebow starting to deliver to the right, Blitzer sacks tebow before Tebow is off of his second read, leading to a called fumble that is overturned by review. 29 biffed this one.

Reggie makes a ass of himself with his commentary.

4th and 10: Mis snap. Ball hits two yards in front of Tebow. Tebow grabs it and runs to line of scrimmage, falling forward five yards.

Fourth drive:
1st and 10: 1.09 left. Screen play. Tebow starts winding up extremely late, but throws over the head of 92 to 29 successfully, Horrible block discpile as both 50 and 68 screw up their blocks.

1st and 10: Four man rush. Great pass to 29 at five yards out. Timeout.
2nds and 3: Four man rush. 0:40 left. Tebow in shotgun. Three receivers out. Completion to 85.

1st and 10: Four receivers: 0:23. Tebow roles right as all receivers are covered, 29 is there as a safety valve, Tebow has loads of room to run, winds up and throws from the 35 to the 15. The safety covering shades back to try and make a interception, but Tebow throws over his head. 17 has one receiver to make miss, strong arms, but is pushed out of bounds at the 7.

1st and 10: 12 seconds. Tebow steps up in the pocket, Does a phenominal job of trusting Batiste with a block, stepping behind him before he was sure Batiste could take his assignment. Rolls wide right with a defender in pursuit. Throws to 85 in the end zone, around 54. Ref says he dropped it. This ball was well positioned.

2nd and 10: 3 seconds left. 4 man rush, but 20 gives a look that a safety blitz might be on. 90 coming in from Tebows blind side, but Tebow steps up in the pocket and eludes. Entire right side of the field is clear, no receiver is open. 29 needs to block his man, Tebow takes on two blockers, and makes it into the end zone.

Jay3
08-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Awesome analysis. May I post across the street (in quotes)?

lostknight
08-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Sure

DivineBronco
08-16-2010, 12:21 AM
thanks this is very much appreciated

~Crash~
08-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Everyone keep bitching about Reggie ... well I had to listen to the ass munchies the Bengal's team that hurt my ears almost to the point of bleeding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBF1
08-16-2010, 01:28 AM
The cincinnati announcers they had on the NFL channel would have to get better to suck. Munoz and the other ahole drove me up a wall. They were doing an interview with chad johnson late in the 3rd quarter when Tim Tebow made his NFL debut and did not mention anything about it until his 1st series was over.... Freeking nuts.

chickennob2
08-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Yeah, I had the bengals guys on nfl network, but I was listening to 850 KOA on my phone. They were out of sync enough that I could see the play, hear the tv guys, then after the play ends hear the KOA guys describe/analyze it. That worked pretty well.

As for the OP and the original thread topic, good work!

extralife
08-16-2010, 04:56 AM
The one thing I noticed is that throwing motion hasn't really changed at all. It cost him at least twice.

The MVPlaya
08-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Not sure why people are saying his throwing motion is the same. There is more to a throwing motion then just dipping the ball. Jay Cutler dips the ball.

The #1 thing he had worked on after college was his release point. They asked him this many many many times and many coaches said the same thing. They were first working on his release points.

Then the next thing McDaniels revealed was that they worked on shoulder dipping, etc. And the past few weeks have been footwork.

Anyone saying he is throwing exactly like college has to be straight retarded or just simply decided to read and make dumb comments.

http://news.sportsinteraction.com/files/2010/04/tim-tebow_w9b8.jpg
http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/fourth-down/assets_c/2010/02/Tim%20Tebow110210-thumb-468x312-30100.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0815/nfl_a_tebowts_576.jpg

The MVPlaya
08-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Coincidentally enough, the Bears @ Chargers game came on right after. Here is a shot of Jay Cutler I took... going to his 5th season.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9074/img0145b.jpg

Brett Favre

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/favre.jpg

Tebow's motion does need to improve, and it will as time moves on. Exactly like a college basketball player going to the NBA, all jump shots change over to time as they tweak it every year. Kobe's shot is completely different from his earlier days. Hell, it's completely different from the year before last. Melo, Lebron, EVERYONE... every single player's jump shot evolve over time.

Now, this is Tebow's first career NFL live action game, and people are already asking if he should quit (MaxDenver twitter).

Child please.

s0phr0syne
08-16-2010, 05:49 AM
I'm glad that you used two highly turnover prone QBs to illustrate your point.

The MVPlaya
08-16-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm glad that you used two highly turnover prone QBs to illustrate your point.

Right, because throwing 7 ints last season is highly turnover prone. It's about being in the right situation. It's a coincidence these two are gun slingers.

However 1 is HOF, so I'm not sure what you point is.

Jesterhole
08-16-2010, 06:57 AM
What still blows my mind is that article written by Cold Hard Football Facts, where it compared Tebow's college passing career to both Manning brothers, Matt Stafford, Russle and Couch...and Tebow's stats destroyed all of theirs.

This article by far gives the hardest Tebowner...

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3171_A_tale_of_six_quarterbacks.html

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-16-2010, 07:00 AM
The difference is both Favre and Cutler get the ball out quickly, and Tebow doesn't. It's like a pitching windup.

I think you're right about it improving over time, and I sincerely hope it does. He's a dead man if it doesn't.

yerner
08-16-2010, 07:03 AM
I thought he looked awful. He just doesn't seem to throw the ball well at this point. It doesn't spin great, if that makes sense. Hopefully it gets better.

jhns
08-16-2010, 07:19 AM
I think he looked good for a project in his first game. He does need a much faster release. His accuracy and arm strength looked pretty good. He could have looked better with better receivers. He had to play with guys that will be cut in a couple weeks.

Dedhed
08-16-2010, 07:32 AM
I thought he looked awful. He just doesn't seem to throw the ball well at this point. It doesn't spin great, if that makes sense. Hopefully it gets better.

Great analysis. Really well thought out and described brilliantly.

yerner
08-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Great analysis. Really well thought out and described brilliantly.

Unlike most jerkoffs on this site, I don't pretend to be an NFL scout. I don't claim to know if Tebow will succeed. I just give my opinion on a broncos opinion board. To me, Tebow's passes looked suspect compared to other quaterbacks I see on TV. It doesn't come out of his hand well. It floats. There isn't a tight spiral that impresses. Sorry if that bothers you. I hope he can make up for it with study and anticipation.

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Tebow had an okay night. It was on par with Quinn's night and he's been in the league several years.

Br0nc0Buster
08-16-2010, 08:08 AM
yeah I heard a few people say he was back to his old throwing motion
but I watched the game and did not see that at all
granted he still winds it up, but it wasnt the same thing

lostknight
08-16-2010, 08:11 AM

When he thinks he has time, the wind up is there. On short passes, it wasn't there all night, even when there were significant pressures. As to the people saying Tebow disappointed, or that his night was on par with Quinn, I have to assume that you didn't watch Quinn, or that you expected him to come out as John Elway Jr, accomplishing the drive in his diapers.

Rabb
08-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Tebow had an okay night. It was on par with Quinn's night and he's been in the league several years.

I'd agree he looked ok, but man...Quinn looked awful to me

Steve Sewell
08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Child please.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDRSshRDzpHMDwTMuA7BFi23VS74aAD k3OBkzRf-cQ2h-rxX0&t=1&usg=__fbuPhSMs9_1pcP7dJ5Ww4ON7ESA=

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2010, 08:18 AM

The wind up is what they are talking about. The wind up will hurt his chances of ever being a pro qb. QB's just don't have that kind of time in the pocket at this level.

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I'd agree he looked ok, but man...Quinn looked awful to me

Quinn got moving after his 6th pass or so. To me, he looked very rusty.

oubronco
08-16-2010, 08:21 AM
I'll say this if he keeps running and taking wicked hits like that he won't last too long other than that he didn't look that bad although after Quinn settled down and threw the INT he didn't look too awful either

The MVPlaya
08-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Unlike most jerkoffs on this site, I don't pretend to be an NFL scout. I don't claim to know if Tebow will succeed. I just give my opinion on a broncos opinion board. To me, Tebow's passes looked suspect compared to other quaterbacks I see on TV. It doesn't come out of his hand well. It floats. There isn't a tight spiral that impresses. Sorry if that bothers you. I hope he can make up for it with study and anticipation.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDrgJfuA8-0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDrgJfuA8-0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I'll say this if he keeps running and taking wicked hits like that he won't last too long other than that he didn't look that bad although after Quinn settled down and threw the INT he didn't look too awful either

He got that TD, but you could tell it was more hit than he wanted to take.

oubronco
08-16-2010, 08:26 AM
He got that TD, but you could tell it was more hit than he wanted to take.

Just wait till he takes off and Ray Lewis or Mualoogie or Ed Reed or enter whoever you want nails him

Steve Sewell
08-16-2010, 08:27 AM
<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDrgJfuA8-0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDrgJfuA8-0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Owned. Is there a video for his roll-out to the right strike on the last drive?

bronclvr
08-16-2010, 08:29 AM

I'm with you, I am just a Bronco's fan, not a Scout, but I liked what I saw from Tebow-I don't think it's fair to judge him yet, he needs time to adjust. I really don't care what his passes look like, I want to see them get where they need to be and on time-I saw that last night.

What I saw that I liked was will and grit-I think he will succeed due to a desire to win, and he will sacrifice himself to get that win. What scares me is that I don't know if he will last-he keeps putting his body in those situations at an NFL level and he will be in a wheelchair or have a careeer ending injury-he has guts though-

dsmoot
08-16-2010, 08:32 AM

I don't pretend to be a scout either but I can see what I see. Looking at the drop by Willis, looking at the rollout completion downfield on the last drive, looking at the TD drop in the endzone, none of those balls floated. He is still developing touch on the short passes across the middle and in the flat and it is a work in progress.

As well as Orton is looking, his deeper throws are thrown with a hope and a prayer much like Jake Plummers. I prefer Tebow's deeper throws already.

The MVPlaya
08-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Owned. Is there a video for his roll-out to the right strike on the last drive?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d819c8cad/Tebow-33-yard-pass

The MVPlaya
08-16-2010, 08:40 AM
<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AGi7sOFg_0k"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AGi7sOFg_0k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Smiling Assassin27
08-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Tebow's motion reminds me of Byron Leftwich's from the left side.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wUwSroXdU0E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wUwSroXdU0E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Tebow's motion reminds me of Byron Leftwich's from the left side.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wUwSroXdU0E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wUwSroXdU0E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I almost think Leftwich's motion is faster than Tebow's.

I'm not bagging on Tebow here, I just didn't really like what I saw last night. He had some good passes, and he held on to the ball too long in other instances. Doesn't mean they're incorrectable.

Smiling Assassin27
08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
If I'm McD, I call up Steve Young and see what the possibility of having him work with Tim is. His motion is prototypical for a lefty, IMO. Like throwing darts.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBuGr1pDEEM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBuGr1pDEEM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Eldorado
08-16-2010, 08:59 AM
If I'm McD, I call up Steve Young and see what the possibility of having him work with Tim is. His motion is prototypical for a lefty, IMO. Like throwing darts.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBuGr1pDEEM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBuGr1pDEEM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Young dips the ball when he throws. No way he makes it in the NFL.

Rohirrim
08-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Hopefully, by pre-season's end we can diagram every single one of Tebow's movements, frame by frame, in a Powerpoint presentation with running dialogue and maybe even on-demand slow-mo inserts. I know I can't wait.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-16-2010, 09:06 AM

You don't see the difference with the speed that Young gets the ball out and the speed that Tebow gets the ball out? Seriously?

Yes, Tebow had a few good throws where his motion was abbreviated. I'd like to see that become the norm. Not 50/50, not 1 out of 5. Regular, quick delivery of the football.

I think he can get there.

Smiling Assassin27
08-16-2010, 09:08 AM

I don't see the big issue as the dip, per se, but the wind up that leaves the ball exposed longer than it should be. Young's motion is a lot more compact than Tim's but it's just a matter of muscle memory. No pressure on him to play this year so that should be a priority of his to handle this season.

Smiling Assassin27
08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Hopefully, by pre-season's end we can diagram every single one of Tebow's movements, frame by frame, in a Powerpoint presentation with running dialogue and maybe even on-demand slow-mo inserts. I know I can't wait.

Only if we can use words like 'elongated' and 'point of release' A LOT...

Tombstone RJ
08-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Tebow still winds up way too much. Josh needs to make Tebow practice with a towel tucked under his right arm pit all the time. That is, Josh needs to force Tebow to quit the long wind up because it's gonna get him killed.

I think that sack thatTebow took will hopefully ring a bell in Tebow's head. That bell is a freaking alarm to stop the wind up and throw the damn ball. Good thing Tebow can take a hit...

SonOfLe-loLang
08-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Awful? Awful was Colt McCoy. Awful was Orton in last year's preseason opener. How can you describe 8/13 105 and a running TD awful? Especially considering his prettiest pass was dropped.

fontaine
08-16-2010, 09:40 AM
I could care less how our backup QB does in his rookie season in a preseason game.

Just like I could care less about how Willis does.

All I care about is that our current starting QB looked on point. Tebow has at least this season and hopefully next to warm the bench and learn the game.

Rabb
08-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I could care less how our backup QB does in his rookie season in a preseason game.

Just like I could care less about how Willis does.

All I care about is that our current starting QB looked on point. Tebow has at least this season and hopefully next to warm the bench and learn the game.

well, I care...because I saw Simms do whatever they call what he did last year

I don't expect world-beaters as backups, but I sure as hell expect progress and now we have a baseline

TonyR
08-16-2010, 10:18 AM
After all the hype, the back-and-forth about whether Tim Tebow(notes) could play quarterback at the professional level, the constant barrage of "leader/winner" talk and how useful that may or may not be to his future, and the insistence of some that Tebow's flawed throwing style has been corrected once and for all, we finally got to see what the NFL version of Tebow would look like when the Denver Broncos took the field Sunday evening at Paul Brown Stadium to meet the Cincinnati Bengals. It took a while to see #15 out there, but Tebow's performance was certainly interesting to observe.

Read the rest here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Upon-Further-Review-Tebow-s-first-game?urn=nfl-262659

Tombstone RJ
08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
After all the hype, the back-and-forth about whether Tim Tebow(notes) could play quarterback at the professional level, the constant barrage of "leader/winner" talk and how useful that may or may not be to his future, and the insistence of some that Tebow's flawed throwing style has been corrected once and for all, we finally got to see what the NFL version of Tebow would look like when the Denver Broncos took the field Sunday evening at Paul Brown Stadium to meet the Cincinnati Bengals. It took a while to see #15 out there, but Tebow's performance was certainly interesting to observe.

Read the rest here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Upon-Further-Review-Tebow-s-first-game?urn=nfl-262659

In other words, see post #43.

TonyR
08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
In other words, see post #43.

Yes, but I do suggest reading the article. Here's more:

Under center, Tebow dropped back with decent mechanics, though he looked somewhat unsure at times (to be expected). The throwing motion is still far too hitchy to make a consistent difference -- for every great throw (like the one on third-and-5 downfield on that first drive to Matt Willis(notes) that was flat-out dropped), there was an attempt by Tebow to throw across his body that turned into a debacle because of the extra motion. He benefitted from the "Tuck Rule" in a strip sack by Bengals safety Jeromy Miles(notes), but that's another issue he's going to have to correct -- the sheer time it takes him to wind up and get the ball out puts him in a disadvantageous position at a level where every millisecond in the pocket counts. The best play I saw from Tebow, and the one that best indicates his benefit to the team in the short term, was the one that ended the game - his seven-yard touchdown run up the middle proved the wisdom the Broncos would show by using Tebow in goal-line option packages.

Lev Vyvanse
08-16-2010, 10:33 AM

He pats the ball before every throw. Hes got to clean up those mechanics.

Houshyamama
08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
well, I care...because I saw Simms do whatever they call what he did last year

Hilarious!

mwill07
08-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I've heard people say that Tebows TD run was reminiscent of Elway, circa SBXXXII. To me, what reminded me of Elway was the two plays right before that:

1st and 10: Four receivers: 0:23. Tebow roles right as all receivers are covered, 29 is there as a safety valve, Tebow has loads of room to run, winds up and throws from the 35 to the 15. The safety covering shades back to try and make a interception, but Tebow throws over his head. 17 has one receiver to make miss, strong arms, but is pushed out of bounds at the 7.

1st and 10: 12 seconds. Tebow steps up in the pocket, Does a phenominal job of trusting Batiste with a block, stepping behind him before he was sure Batiste could take his assignment. Rolls wide right with a defender in pursuit. Throws to 85 in the end zone, around 54. Ref says he dropped it. This ball was well positioned.

eluding pressure and hitting his target down field.

IMO Tebow throws better on the run than he does in the pocket.

Tombstone RJ
08-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Yes, but I do suggest reading the article. Here's more:

Under center, Tebow dropped back with decent mechanics, though he looked somewhat unsure at times (to be expected). The throwing motion is still far too hitchy to make a consistent difference -- for every great throw (like the one on third-and-5 downfield on that first drive to Matt Willis(notes) that was flat-out dropped), there was an attempt by Tebow to throw across his body that turned into a debacle because of the extra motion. He benefitted from the "Tuck Rule" in a strip sack by Bengals safety Jeromy Miles(notes), but that's another issue he's going to have to correct -- the sheer time it takes him to wind up and get the ball out puts him in a disadvantageous position at a level where every millisecond in the pocket counts. The best play I saw from Tebow, and the one that best indicates his benefit to the team in the short term, was the one that ended the game - his seven-yard touchdown run up the middle proved the wisdom the Broncos would show by using Tebow in goal-line option packages.

The writer of this article takes a long time to say that Tebow's throwing motion takes too long and that in the NFL this will get him killed. His throwing motion does not have to be perfect but it does have to be quicker. His footwork needs to be precise, his upper body throwing motion just needs to be shorter, that's it. That's all that really needs to happen.

DarkHorse
08-16-2010, 11:26 AM
I almost think Leftwich's motion is faster than Tebow's.

I'm not bagging on Tebow here, I just didn't really like what I saw last night. He had some good passes, and he held on to the ball too long in other instances. Doesn't mean they're incorrectable.

I'm almost thinking that Leftwich has had quite a bit of time to possibly learn to get faster with his 'long windup' in the NFL.

That's a pretty close motion to what I saw with Tebow - i'd love to see some early NFL/Late college video of Leftwich to see if his motion may have been slower.

Ray Finkle
08-16-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm almost thinking that Leftwich has had quite a bit of time to possibly learn to get faster with his 'long windup' in the NFL.

That's a pretty close motion to what I saw with Tebow - i'd love to see some early NFL/Late college video of Leftwich to see if his motion may have been slower.

this is what kills me, you cannot compare Tebow to Leftwich. Leftwich is as immobile as it gets. He doesn't slide in the pocket or scramble at all. Tebow can buy time were the issue is minimized...still a problem though.

Smiling Assassin27
08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
this is what kills me, you cannot compare Tebow to Leftwich. Leftwich is as immobile as it gets. He doesn't slide in the pocket or scramble at all. Tebow can buy time were the issue is minimized...still a problem though.

comparing throwing motions is quite appropriate, IMO, regardless of tebow's superior mobility. everyone knows the difference in elusiveness between the two, but the wind up is a common element of both. really, tebow's more comparable to the other steeler qb in his ability to buy time with his feet.

DarkHorse
08-16-2010, 12:07 PM
comparing throwing motions is quite appropriate, IMO, regardless of tebow's superior mobility. everyone knows the difference in elusiveness between the two, but the wind up is a common element of both. really, tebow's more comparable to the other steeler qb in his ability to buy time with his feet.

Correct - I was just saying the actual arm movement was very similar and I agree that it appears Leftwich is much much faster at getting rid of the ball even with that long looking movement.

Now, was Leftwich ALWAYS that fast at getting rid of it or did he enter the league with a Tebow'ish looking slow long motion? Is this something that he has worked out or did he have a naturally fast long throwing motion?

orange 4 life
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I didn't read most of the thread so if it's already been said forgive me but I think we all need to remember that the final drive was virtually meaningless. The game was completely decided and the Bengals played a soft prevent defense.

On paper he played okay but take away that last drive and it's a different picture. Yes he had that drop on his first pass but even that one was thrown over the wrong shoulder. In other words if that WAS completed the receiver was immediately going out of bounds. If it's thrown to the inside shoulder it could've gone all the way.

Anyway I'm not trying to rain on anyones Tebow parade but it's just not fair (IMO) to throw that final drive in there with the others.
He showed some promise and it was his first action but unfortunately it wasn't a very good outing especially against a vanilla 3rd team defense.
Either way I'm not gonna worry about it. I'd like to see him play a few downs in the Wild Horses formation (or maybe goal line) but other than that this is clearly Kyle Orton's team and right now that's a very good thing. Orton looks LIGHT YEARS better than any of us thought he'd be.

lostknight
08-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I didn't read most of the thread so if it's already been said forgive me but I think we all need to remember that the final drive was virtually meaningless. The game was completely decided and the Bengals played a soft prevent defense.

Next time bother to read the thread. I documented the exact plays and looks that Tebow got in each series. The last series, he faced the exact same four +1 rushes that Orton had his first series. They in no way were playing a prevent defense. What's more is that they threw more blitzes at him then either of the other two quarterbacks. These guys wanted to give Tebow a black eye.

It's because of posts like yours that I bothered to break apart the stats in the first place.

Hulamau
08-16-2010, 07:48 PM

Tim looked pretty good for his first go around at NFL speed and with a patch work Oline and RBs. A little better catching on Willis and Brandon's part and he has two throwing TDs in the quarter as well.

Lot to learn from as well.. he showed he definitely belongs and its just a matter of time and some experience and he should be a really good one. Made some good decisions out there as well as a couple of mistakes as expected for first time out.

The guy is THICK! would not want to have to tackle that Dude...

Hulamau
08-16-2010, 07:52 PM

These are just dimwits that never watched a down of Tim's play at Florida and are just parrotting the party line ... ala Mike Florio.

That pass to Willis was a rocket and should have been caught . There is No way a lefty is throwing to the inside shoulder of Willis on the right side of the field when the WR is running a gun down the right sideline!!

Ray Finkle
08-16-2010, 08:02 PM
These are just dimwits that never watched a down of Tim's play at Florida and are just parrotting the party line ... ala Mike Florio.

That pass to Willis was a rocket and should have been caught . There is No way a lefty is throwing to the inside shoulder of Willis on the right side of the field when the WR is running a gun down the right sideline!!

NFL Network broke down a few throws that showed regression....work in progress so it was bound to happen.

Bronco Boy
08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
It was fun to watch him truck stick that guy at the goal line.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-17-2010, 02:09 PM

Nobody is comparing them as quarterbacks. Merely comparing their windups and throwing motion.

Jay3
08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
But he said you cannot.

Jay3
08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
You must comply.

epicSocialism4tw
12-19-2010, 12:15 PM
bump for the tebow mojo