PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton Quietly Shines Amid Tebowmania

oubronco
08-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Kyle Orton Quietly Shines Amid Tebowmania

Aug 12, 2010 4:14 pm US/Mountain

ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer

ENGLEWOOD (AP) ― When the Denver Broncos' practice at Invesco Field was over, thousands of fans who had been incessantly chanting Tim Tebow's name pushed toward the railings to beg for his autograph.

They clicked photos of the hideous haircut that linebacker Wesley Woodyard had buzzed into his head that afternoon in a rookie ritual, the friar-like images, like everything Tebow, going viral on the Internet.

Female fans fawned over Brady Quinn, the ruggedly handsome quarterback who arrived in Denver just ahead of Tebow's selection in the first round of the NFL draft this spring.

Kyle Orton? He slipped out a side exit almost unnoticed.

Nothing new there -- at the team's headquarters in suburban Denver, the boisterous cheers from Tebowmaniacs begin the second the former Florida star steps out onto the football field to start stretching. They don't end until he's done meeting and greeting his fixated fans, which, during two-a-days, can be just before darkness descends upon Dove Valley.

Usually drawing quite the crowd himself is Quinn, the former first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns.

Orton, meanwhile, doesn't rate a single display jersey at the satellite trailer the Broncos team store is operating inside the parking lot at the club headquarters, where dozens of Tebow jerseys -- already the top seller in the NFL -- are going fast.

Many days, Orton can slip past the media horde hanging on Tebow's every word and head right into the locker room without breaking stride, nobody bothering the starting quarterback for his thoughts.

This for an incumbent who is so far ahead of the others in both understanding and execution of Josh McDaniels' intricate offense that the real intrigue has been relegated to this: Who will serve as Orton's backup in 2010?

Even if the more-experienced Quinn gets that nod, Tebow figures to see plenty of action in special packages such as the Wildcat formation or in the red zone, cameo appearances that will have to satisfy the Tebowmaniacs while Orton quietly leads the Broncos offense.

Almost nowhere else in the NFL is the starting quarterback so stealthy, solitary or secluded as Orton is in Denver, where he signed a one-year, $2.621 million tender as a restricted free agent this offseason because the Broncos weren't willing to give him a long-term deal despite his 29-19 record as a starter in Chicago and Denver.

So, where's the love for Kyle Orton?

"I don't need love," Orton insisted. "I just need wins."

Orton doesn't seem the least bit fazed by the hoopla surrounding Tebow or the lack of devotion he's getting from the fans or the front office.

"I come out here every day and try to get the team and the offense to where we can win games. That's really my main focus," Orton told The Associated Press.

For those actually paying attention, Orton has been worth noticing during training camp. His comfort level and accuracy of his throws are way ahead of Tebow and Quinn. His teammates look at him as their unquestioned leader, with co-captain Champ Bailey declaring, "He's my guy."

McDaniels' too.

Ever since bringing in Quinn and Tebow, McDaniels has insisted Orton is still the starter -- but that he'd have to fend off his rivals in training camp.

While Tebow blows away the competition in post-practice wind sprints, Orton's doing the same at quarterback, even if Broncos fans aren't paying close attention.

"He's not under the radar on our team, I know that," McDaniels said. "He's started off extremely well. He's accurate. There's nothing in our scheme that he can't execute. He gets us in the right play 99 out of 100 or 100 out of 100 times and the ball's going to the right place."

It's not just a mental leap but a physical one.

Orton is more mobile in the pocket and is stepping into throws with the good mechanics and proper footwork that eluded him almost all last season.

"Physically, I'm healthy finally," Orton said. "When I came over from Chicago I was still battling my right ankle and never really got that right. Then we got into the season and I did my left ankle and I was playing on two flat tires, basically. That's no fun. I'm just happy I'm feeling good for the first time. When you're a quarterback and you're not playing with your feet it's a tough situation. You're using a lot of arm and poor mechanics and all that stuff."

This summer, his passes are precise, as are his reads.

"Everybody plays through injuries and a quarterback is no different," Orton said. "Hopefully, I can get through this season on two good wheels and move around and throw the ball well."

Despite his ankle injuries, Orton had the best statistical season of his career last year. But the Broncos collapsed after a 6-0 start and instead of the long-term deal he coveted, Orton got Quinn and Tebow.

Embracing the opportunity to once again prove his worth, Orton has only solidified his grip on the job.

"Being healthy and technically sound, that's a really good combination for a quarterback to have," McDaniels said. "And he knows where to go, too. So, there's a lot of good things. I think that's why he's got so much confidence right now. I think our players have a lot of confidence also, and I think it's helping our entire offense."

DomCasual
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
While Tebow blows away the competition in post-practice wind sprints, Orton's doing the same at quarterback, even if Broncos fans aren't paying close attention.

What a ridiculous comment.

First, what is Tebow supposed to do? Not try hard? Is he being showy because he does his best? Second, which Broncos fans aren't paying attention to Orton? The screaming girls who like Tebow because he's dreamy? The fans that genuinely like him because he seems like a decent, yet charismatic player?

And when did liking Tebow or liking Orton become a zero-sum game?

bronclvr
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Here's to hoping Orton stays around long enough to truly be a "success"

HAT
08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Pro Bowl.....

Book it.

BlaK-Argentina
08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Go Kyle gooo!

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Good for Orton! This is the year he has to put it all together. This is his second year and he's healthy. He has to stay healthy and he has to help the Broncos win games. If he does those two things and the Broncos running game starts to click, and the offensive line gells, this will be a solid offense.

The defense is better (even without Doom) and the offense is progressing. Good News!

Pony Boy
08-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I guess no one here remembers Elwaymania.........

Smiling Assassin27
08-13-2010, 10:47 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If the O-Line is able to give this guy time and a pocket, he should be head and shoulders better than last year. And last year, he was better than serviceable, IMO. Don't forget that he was dinged up severely for parts of the season.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Pro Bowl.....

Book it.

Not if he gets injured, and that unfortunately is a real possibility due to the young oline and the injuries along the oline.

bronco militia
08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

crush17
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Same regurgitated stuff that's been circulating for weeks.

Blah.

bronco militia
08-13-2010, 11:00 AM
hopefully we get to see if he has improved his left handed sprint pass

Rock Chalk
08-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I have an Orton jersey.

I dont care who doesn't like him and who thinks he is a stop gap. Dude is fun to root for IMO.

crush17
08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm buying an Orton jersey this year for sure.

bronco militia
08-13-2010, 11:08 AM
get a room ;D

Rohirrim
08-13-2010, 11:08 AM
I have an Orton jersey.

I dont care who doesn't like him and who thinks he is a stop gap. Dude is fun to root for IMO.

I agree. Orton has done everything right since he got here, and under the worst conditions possible. The guy is a warrior.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-13-2010, 11:10 AM
He's got the likability of Jake Plummer without the production or athleticism.

underrated29
08-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Pro Bowl.....

Book it.

AGREED!!!

does anyone that is not a broncos fan realize that Orton had 600 yards and 5 tds fewer than the MIGHTY Tony Romo and cowboys.

considering schedule, exp in system, strength of team and all else. That is not much of a difference.

Rock Chalk
08-13-2010, 11:13 AM

He produced pretty well last year with a new team, new system and admitted two bad ankles most of the year.

3802 yards, 21 TDs to 12 Ints and an 86.8 rating and over 62% completion percentage isn't bad numbers man ESPECIALLY considering being on a new team in a new system when the WHOLE TEAM was undergoing a veritable shock of transition.

orangemonkey
08-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree. Orton has done everything right since he got here, and under the worst conditions possible. The guy is a warrior.

LOL. When you say, "worst conditions," you mean his sloppy arm, weak down field accuracy, lack of mobility and slow speed, I agree with you. If you are attacking the Broncos top 10 defense, healthy RB's, Top 3 receiver and #1 Clady that surrounded him, then you're high. Very high.

Puff puff pass. Puff puff pass.

jhns
08-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I should get an Orton jersey and start supporting him more. He wouldn't last another week on a McDaniels led team.

Ray Finkle
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
similar stats when compared to Cintler without the INT's or price.....

Rock Chalk
08-13-2010, 11:31 AM
LOL. When you say, "worst conditions," you mean his sloppy arm, weak down field accuracy, lack of mobility and slow speed, I agree with you. If you are attacking the Broncos top 10 defense, healthy RB's, Top 3 receiver and #1 Clady that surrounded him, then you're high. Very high.

Top 10 defense for games 1-6.

Bottom 28 defense from games 7-16.

With what happened to our team in general after the 6th game of the season I can tell you that there is maybe 2 or 3 QBs in the league that could have done well in those circumstances.

TheProfessor
08-13-2010, 11:35 AM
This is exactly what I saw when at camp. Tebow gets all the cheers and attention (by the fans), while orton looks light years ahead of where he was last year.

Rohirrim
08-13-2010, 11:36 AM

By "worst conditions" I meant the Cutler fiasco and the drafting of Tebow, let alone the collapse of the defense last year and the lack of faith among the local media and much of the fan base.

Kaylore
08-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Orton is a Bronco and that means every Bronco fan should be rooting for him. If he plays the best and deserves to start ahead of Tebow, then that just means he will push Tebow more.

See notice the contrast in how Plummer stopped trying after Cutler was drafted, and played like crap, whereas Orton stepped his game up and kept competing. That's what real men do. They don't pout about competition. They embrace the challenge. See also: Drew Brees.

Vegas_Bronco
08-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I'll believe it when he consistently performs week to week. I want him to do well, of course...but, way too many 'my bads' last season during crucial drives...It's either going to be a Pro Bowl year or one to move him along to his next endeavor.

He looks accurate in camp...just can't consistently move the ball.

TheProfessor
08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Orton is a Bronco and that means every Bronco fan should be rooting for him. If he plays the best and deserves to start ahead of Tebow, then that just means he will push Tebow more.

See notice the contrast in how Plummer stopped trying after Cutler was drafted played like crap, whereas Orton stepped his game up and kept competing. That's what real men do. They don't pout about competition. They embrace the challenge. See also: Drew Brees.

Though I agree with the general idea of what you are saying, the situations are very different.

In my opinion plummer was never much of a practice player to begin with. Once jay showed up his skill set was exposed as being amazingly limited compared to cutlers. Cutler was the definition of prototypical (from a physical stand point), and every pass he threw in camp looked the part.

Nobody will ever confuse a pass thrown by quinn or tebow with one by cutler. Orton right now looks night and day from these guys. He might be hearing the tebow chants at practice, but I gaurantee he has a quite chuckle when they are in the film room.

To be honest I actually feel bad for quinn. I think he has a job until tebow learns the offense.

Kaylore
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Though I agree with the general idea of what you are saying, the situations are very different.

In my opinion plummer was never much of a practice player to begin with. Once jay showed up his skill set was exposed as being amazingly limited compared to cutlers. Cutler was the definition of prototypical (from a physical stand point), and every pass he threw in camp looked the part.

Nobody will ever confuse a pass thrown by quinn or tebow with one by cutler. Orton right now looks night and day from these guys. He might be hearing the tebow chants at practice, but I gaurantee he has a quite chuckle when they are in the film room.

To be honest I actually feel bad for quinn. I think he has a job until tebow learns the offense.
I wouldn't feel bad for Quinn. He's getting good money and likely won't need to earn most of it (knock on wood.) One of favorite players ever, Ty Detmer, made a career of doing this and still helped contribute to his teams.

As for the comparisons, you could make the same argument for Tebow or Quinn as both are infinitely more athletic and physically resilient than Orton. when the pocket collapses (which we will see a lot of early on especially) Orton's mobility will be hamper things whereas guys like Quinn and Tebow may be more suited to extend the play. And there's nothing Orton can do to change that. Still, he fights on.

Hogan11
08-13-2010, 12:03 PM
"I don't need love," Orton insisted. "I just need wins."

Awesome statement. This from a guy who (along with Quinn) knows many new jort wearing fans secretly hope he fails miserably. He rises above and perseveres in the face of massive doubt and coldness from the fanbase. That is nothing short of heroic.

TheProfessor
08-13-2010, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't feel bad for Quinn. He's getting good money and likely won't need to earn most of it (knock on wood.) One of favorite players ever, Ty Detmer, made a career of doing this and still helped contribute to his teams.

As for the comparisons, you could make the same argument for Tebow or Quinn as both are infinitely more athletic and physically resilient than Orton. when the pocket collapses (which we will see a lot of early on especially) Orton's mobility will be hamper things whereas guys like Quinn and Tebow may be more suited to extend the play. And there's nothing Orton can do to change that. Still, he fights on.

Great point about quinn, and I agree that orton is on the frail side.

But I can not stress enough how far ahead of the other two he is. There is no comparison between them. Both tebow and quinn look more athletic running, but neither of them come close to resembling the QB that Orton is. There is no chance in the world he see film of these practices and feels anything but confident.

BigPlayShay
08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Nice article, except for the total BS that Orton slipped out the side door. I watched the dude sign autographs for a good 20-30 minutes after the practice. The article kind of paints the picture that Orton is an a-hole who is bitter and doesn't like fans, but that is crap. Everything I have seen is that the dude, while not heralded at all is great to the fans in spite of that.

orangemonkey
08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Great point about quinn, and I agree that orton is on the frail side.

But I can not stress enough how far ahead of the other two he is. There is no comparison between them. Both tebow and quinn look more athletic running, but neither of them come close to resembling the QB that Orton is. There is no chance in the world he see film of these practices and feels anything but confident.

Ha. I could care less how Orton feels while watching Quinn and Tebow tape or how "he fight's on" in the midst of competition. How pathetic. He's a Denver Bronco QB, the toughest job in the NFL, so what choice does have?

What's most important is how he leads the team to W's and how he reacts to adversity when the game around him breaks down. Because you better believe it will this year more than last due to injuries, gaps in the oline, no #1 receiver threat, etc. He failed miserably on both counts last year.

I remain encouraged that we have better options this year if/when Orton can't step his game up during adversity.

Broncoman13
08-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Pro Bowl.....

Book it.

Depends on three things. First and foremost, the OL has to improve and give him some time and also help to keep him healthy. The OL improving leads into # 2, which is our run game has to improve. We were in several third and short yardage situations last year. Had we converted those we would have been about 15% higher in conversion %. That will allow Orton to have several more attempts per game which will lead to more production. The final piece of the puzzle is keeping DT on the field. His production isn't nearly as important as his presence. Teams will have to respect his play making ability and deep threat potential. That will open up things for the run game as well as the short and intermediate routes that should be high % plays. If we can get those three facets of the game up to speed then he will have a great year and most likely make the probowl!

Kaylore
08-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Awesome statement. This from a guy who (along with Quinn) knows many new jort wearing fans secretly hope he fails miserably. He rises above and perseveres in the face of massive doubt and coldness from the fanbase. That is nothing short of heroic.

:~ohyah!:

I can not stress enough how far ahead of the other two he is. There is no comparison between them. Both tebow and quinn look more athletic running, but neither of them come close to resembling the QB that Orton is. There is no chance in the world he see film of these practices and feels anything but confident.

I'm sure. I was not in love with the Tebow selection and still have my reservations (though his work ethic has assuaged most of that) but he's a huge project. And everyone knows I'm not the world's biggest Quinn fan. I do think you'll see Tebow pass Quinn as the season goes on, and hopefully as the line settles down you'll see Orton start to elevate his game even more.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-13-2010, 12:51 PM
What a ridiculous comment.

First, what is Tebow supposed to do? Not try hard? Is he being showy because he does his best? Second, which Broncos fans aren't paying attention to Orton? The screaming girls who like Tebow because he's dreamy? The fans that genuinely like him because he seems like a decent, yet charismatic player?

And when did liking Tebow or liking Orton become a zero-sum game?

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. My goodness.

TonyR
08-13-2010, 12:55 PM
What's most important is how he leads the team to W's and how he reacts to adversity when the game around him breaks down. Because you better believe it will this year more than last due to injuries, gaps in the oline, no #1 receiver threat, etc. He failed miserably on both counts last year.

Hey how did your boy Cutler score on the same test last year? And the year before, for that matter?

Meck77
08-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Go Orton! Would love to see some ugly ass wins this season. Loving that the Jake Plummer mojo is creeping back in.

Ugly win mojo!

oubronco
08-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Ha. I could care less how Orton feels while watching Quinn and Tebow tape or how "he fight's on" in the midst of competition. How pathetic. He's a Denver Bronco QB, the toughest job in the NFL, so what choice does have?

I remain encouraged that we have better options this year if/when Orton can't step his game up during adversity.

Your an idiot if you think that he's not the best option we have and you'd better hope Orton doesn't get injured cause the other two aren't gonna just jump in and tear it up

oubronco
08-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Go Orton! Would love to see some ugly ass wins this season. Loving that the Jake Plummer mojo is creeping back in.

Ugly win mojo!

Sorry but I prefer Boob Mojo ;D

DomCasual
08-13-2010, 01:09 PM
I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. My goodness.

Maybe. I guess I don't see why someone needs to take a shot at Tebow in order to compliment Orton.

80smith
08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
i have an orton jersey.

I dont care who doesn't like him and who thinks he is a stop gap. Dude is fun to root for imo.

+1

Beantown Bronco
08-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Failed on both counts?

Odd considering about half the Broncos wins last year were come-from-behind 4th quarter (or OT) victories. You really can't lead better or react better to adversity than in instances like that.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Maybe. I guess I don't see why someone needs to take a shot at Tebow in order to compliment Orton.

I guess I didn't see it as a shot to Tebow as much as a compliment of Orton. Different strokes, I suppose.

Crushaholic
08-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Nice article, except for the total BS that Orton slipped out the side door. I watched the dude sign autographs for a good 20-30 minutes after the practice. The article kind of paints the picture that Orton is an a-hole who is bitter and doesn't like fans, but that is crap. Everything I have seen is that the dude, while not heralded at all is great to the fans in spite of that.

I guess I got a different impression from reading that article. My impression was that nobody was paying attention to Orton, and simply seeing Tebow/Quinn as the future. I'm glad to see the report that some people are still seeking Orton's autograph. He is da man, until further notice...:thumbs:

oubronco
08-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Kneckbeard to the rescue

Hulamau
08-13-2010, 01:34 PM
He produced pretty well last year with a new team, new system and admitted two bad ankles most of the year.

3802 yards, 21 TDs to 12 Ints and an 86.8 rating and over 62% completion percentage isn't bad numbers man ESPECIALLY considering being on a new team in a new system when the WHOLE TEAM was undergoing a veritable shock of transition.

I like Orton too, Hell of a guy and it will make life interesting in Dove Valley if he can be a lot more mobile and effective all around this year ... which I expect. Id love for him to stick around for two more years while Tim gets up to speed.

I think Tebow can be special too, with the time to grow into it and possibly will become a nightmare for opposing defenses once the whole game slows down and he gets the finer points down pat.

As far as delimma's go, for Josh that is a good one to have!

cmhargrove
08-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Ugly win mojo!

Hell yeah!

Sign me up for a couple 7-6 wins with good run defense. I'll take it!

El Guapo
08-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Despite liking the Tebow pick, I am rooting for Orton to succeed. Go Orton!

crush17
08-13-2010, 02:00 PM
orangemonkey taking over for jhns in douchebag of the week awards... CONGRATS.

Meck77
08-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Sorry but I prefer Boob Mojo ;D

I was down with the boob mojo but it flopped!

orangemonkey
08-13-2010, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=crush17;2898610]orangemonkey taking over for jhns in douchebag of the week awards... CONGRATS.[

Wield your ignore feature light saber almighty Jedi.

Go Broncos!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-13-2010, 02:16 PM
orangemonkey taking over for jhns in douchebag of the week awards... CONGRATS.

WOW that's premature.

oubronco
08-13-2010, 02:23 PM
I was down with the boob mojo but it flopped!

:~ohyah!: good one

montrose
08-13-2010, 04:33 PM
So if Orton makes the Pro Bowl, and leaves the team - will the Mane be furious for McD getting rid of TWO Pro Bowl QBs?

Blueflame
08-13-2010, 05:26 PM
So if Orton makes the Pro Bowl, and leaves the team - will the Mane be furious for McD getting rid of TWO Pro Bowl QBs?

It's probably safe to say that a certain percentage of the Mane (and the fanbase in general) will be furious with the HC (any HC; not just McDaniels) no matter what. It comes with the territory...

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2010, 08:58 PM

Having real talent at the QB position is never a problem. If Orton throws for 4k yards and 25 TDs and wins a playoff game McD's choice is simple: pay Orton and keep Tebow.

Dukes
08-13-2010, 09:01 PM

McD has really put himself in a tough spot IF Orton lights it up this year. I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

gyldenlove
08-13-2010, 09:01 PM

I will.

DivineLegion
08-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I think Quinn is week six trade foder at this point. I think I'm going to go buy an Orton Jersey.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I think Quinn is week six trade foder at this point. I think I'm going to go buy an Orton Jersey.

What would any team trade for Quinn? I might give you a bag of chips and a stale beer but other than that I'm waiting for his release...

broncosteven
08-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Doubt it.

I think he takes the biggest offer on the table no matter what happens this year. I doubt it is Denver, that would be a lot of cash to pay out at one position. We better hope Tebow is ready quick.

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Doubt it.

I think he takes the biggest offer on the table no matter what happens this year. I doubt it is Denver, that would be a lot of cash to pay out at one position. We better hope Tebow is ready quick.

I don't think it's gonna take a boat load of money to keep Orton. Even if he puts up great numbers and a playoff appearance I think the Broncos could keep him at a reasonable cost. Orton knows his best chance to win is with the Broncos. Yah, the money is important but Orton is smart enough to know that winning is what will launch his politcal career... just saying...

Archer81
08-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think it's gonna take a boat load of money to keep Orton. Even if he puts up great numbers and a playoff appearance I think the Broncos could keep him at a reasonable cost. Orton knows his best chance to win is with the Broncos. Yah, the money is important but Orton is smart enough to know that winning is what will launch his politcal career... just saying...

I have a distinct feeling that Tebow starts next season, regardless of what Orton does this year. If Orton has a good to great year, he gets shipped somewhere else ala the Brady-Bledsoe situation for picks.

:Broncos:

Tombstone RJ
08-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I have a distinct feeling that Tebow starts next season, regardless of what Orton does this year. If Orton has a good to great year, he gets shipped somewhere else ala the Brady-Bledsoe situation for picks.

interesting... but I think the Broncos make an offer to Orton. Why get rid of Orton when Tebow is in his second year? His contract is reasonable and everyone said he was gonna need 3 years to develop. If the Broncos are winning why jack with Orton? Make him a fair offer and lets see where it leads. Tebow can sit, trust me...

STBumpkin
08-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Orton would be the best backup in the league if Tebow pans out. Hope we can keep him regardless of his position (#1 or #2).

FireFly
08-13-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm buying an Orton jersey this year for sure.

I love the Broncos, and I like Orton as our QB... but to invest in an Orton jersey at this point? You're a confident man (or you don't mind keeping jersey's of players that don't play for the team anymore)

FireFly
08-13-2010, 11:27 PM

I don't think so.

What would we get for him? Not carrying him holds too much risk, esp. considering the pay off would be so low.

DivineLegion
08-13-2010, 11:43 PM
I don't think so.

What would we get for him? Not carrying him holds too much risk, esp. considering the pay off would be so low.

Hes a servicable back up at best and when a team is in a desperate situation thats what they are looking for. You never know what is going to happen during the season. I imagine Brady Quinn would have looked very appealing to the Broncos last season if Orton was out for the season and Chris Simms was our only option. If Favre Retires in Minn and they are left with a dissapointing performance from Tavres or Rosenfelds they could look our way. What happens if Matt "nimble" Shuab goes down in Houston, or Alex Smith in San Francisco? There are plenty of teams out there where QB depth is a serious question. Take how you want but I would not be surprised if some one comes calling middle of the season.

Bronco Yoda
08-14-2010, 12:41 AM

ouch!

Cito Pelon
08-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Orton gets waaay too much criticism here.

orangemonkey
08-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Orton gets waaay too much criticism here.

He gets a hellofa lot more respect here then he does in Denver.

Kaylore
08-14-2010, 09:16 AM

I'm in the same boat. Outside of a total collapse, Tebow is the future of this team, weather that's "right" choice or not. They'll franchise and trade Orton for picks.

lostknight
08-14-2010, 10:11 AM
The Bronco's PR office sets the tone - writes the stories and the stats, and send them out. Then the lazy media pick them up, and jiggle a few years and report it as fact. Until Sunday, we don't know squat, and all the "best camp ever" stuff is reminding me of Jake Plummer in 2006 so far.

Spreading this story is a way to prevent a QB battle from occuring. That's the Bronco's vested interest. We really don't know anything until Orton, Quinn and Tebow take the field.

lostknight
08-14-2010, 10:13 AM
There is not a chance we keep Orton at the end of the season, short of using a franchise tag on him. It's as simple as that. Orton's playing for a big contract (and will be very unhappy if we use a franchise tag on him), and is not going to want to have competitors behind him at QB, waiting for him to injure himself.

CEH
08-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Actions speak louder than words

The Broncos have so much confidence in Orton that they brought in 2 1st round QBs to complete and he's probably the lowest paid starting QB in the league. For example, Matt Moore is making more jack than Orton this year. We don't need to give Orton a new contract but a raise from 2.6 MM should be in order this year. I bet there are 5-6 backups making more than Kyle this year

Let's see what the first team does playing against a quality D like Cinncy.

I have a feeling Orton will get demolished by their pass rush with Clady out and a journeyman LT in Batise in his place especially once teams get game tape on our new LT. THe strong side will now have to become the left side with DG kept in to help protect Orton's blind side

Sucks to be a career stop gap QB always trying to be replace yet somehow continue to keep your win record above .500

I applaud Kyle for his professional approach to the current situation

lostknight
08-14-2010, 11:01 AM

They are very average (12-14th in the NFL) numbers in a system designed to make Quarterbacks look great. Are Orton's numbers as good as Cassels when he played for Bellicheck and McDaniels? What has Cassel done since with KC, and what did he do last night. Orton had one of the best o-lines in football last year, Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Tony Scheffler and Stokley. If any quarterback can't look good with thoose weapons, they shouldn't be in the NFL.

lostknight
08-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Actions speak louder than words

The Broncos have so much confidence in Orton that they brought in 2 1st round QBs to complete and he's probably the lowest paid starting QB in the league. For example, Matt Moore is making more jack than Orton this year. We don't need to give Orton a new contract but a raise from 2.6 MM should be in order this year. I bet there are 5-6 backups making more than Kyle this year

Look, Orton does well this year, and there will be huge interest from anyone who doesn't sign a quarterback named Brady or Manning. It's a career year for him. Good year, and he makes 35-45 million dollars over five years. Do poorly, and he will be making ten over two. If Tebow doesn't do well, they probably franchise him for a year - 10 million right there. The best circumstances for the Broncos are for both Orton to do well (slap him with a franchise tag and trade him) and for Tebow to do well (because he's got more mobility and a better arm then Orton, and he is infinitely more marketable - and yes, the NFL is a business - then Orton).

That's powerful incentive to do well for Orton. Powerful incentive to play up Orton for the Broncos. It's a win win all around, unless your name is Brady Quinn.

snowspot66
08-14-2010, 11:24 AM
They are very average (12-14th in the NFL) numbers in a system designed to make Quarterbacks look great. Are Orton's numbers as good as Cassels when he played for Bellicheck and McDaniels? What has Cassel done since with KC, and what did he do last night. Orton had one of the best o-lines in football last year, Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Tony Scheffler and Stokley. If any quarterback can't look good with thoose weapons, they shouldn't be in the NFL.

What?

He had Kuper and Clady and no more. Those guys are great and all but they can't do it alone. Other than that there was an aging and undersized left interior and Harris had a fluke toe injury.

There was nothing great about last years line as a whole.

BlaK-Argentina
08-14-2010, 11:26 AM
What?

Yeah... WTF? Hilarious!

broncosteven
08-14-2010, 12:00 PM
What?

He had Kuper and Clady and no more. Those guys are great and all but they can't do it alone. Other than that there was an aging and undersized left interior and Harris had a fluke toe injury.

When Harris was healthy it was still very good and they won. Harris went down and stuff started catching up.

errand
08-14-2010, 01:20 PM

OK, first off his arm isn't weak...and he can make virtually every throw he needs to. As for his mobility, he doesn't have to sprint out of the pocket on bootlegs like Jake did under Shanahan. The running game struggled down the stretch as did that top 10 defense. Keep in mind the total d ranking is based on total yards allowed.

We were like top 5 in pass defense but bottom 5 in run defense. When you throw a pass three things can happen....and two aren't good. So when a team sucks at stopping the run like we did last season, why would you throw the ball at all?

snowspot66
08-14-2010, 01:42 PM
When Harris was healthy it was still very good and they won. Harris went down and stuff started catching up.

This is true. But just as Orton was getting healthy after his hand injury Harris went down.

Lostknight made it sound like he was saying Orton should have done better than what he did. Maybe I read that wrong. Orton never did have everything going well for him at once and it really fell apart at the end when both he and the line was dinged.

oubronco
08-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Add in the running was shyt and it even becomes more obvious he had a good year

orangemonkey
08-14-2010, 02:08 PM
OK, first off his arm isn't weak...and he can make virtually every throw he needs to. As for his mobility, he doesn't have to sprint out of the pocket on bootlegs like Jake did under Shanahan. The running game struggled down the stretch as did that top 10 defense. Keep in mind the total d ranking is based on total yards allowed.

We were like top 5 in pass defense but bottom 5 in run defense. When you throw a pass three things can happen....and two aren't good. So when a team sucks at stopping the run like we did last season, why would you throw the ball at all?

No need to argue this anymore. Bottom line is I'm ecstatic that he's now 100% healthy with two good ankles. No more excuses. If he's half as good as the folks on this board portend, then the Denver Broncos will be in good shape offensively this year.

errand
08-14-2010, 02:15 PM

See notice the contrast in how Plummer stopped trying after Cutler was drafted, and played like crap, whereas Orton stepped his game up and kept competing. That's what real men do. They don't pout about competition. They embrace the challenge. See also: Drew Brees.

First paragraph, i agree wholeheartedly. I love the broncos, not any one player. I do tend though to root for the Kyle Orton's and like players. Whoever earns the starting QB job will get my support as will the back-up should he be thrust into the starting job.

I disagree with you that Plummer gave up. There was much more pressure on Jake to take broncos to super bowl...what with just coming off AFC title game appearance. And when consider Cutler was alot more NFL ready when he was drafted and expectations of him starting were alot higher as well than Tebow. the fans would boo Jake on virtually every single incompletion or interception, and Jake was constantly having to look over his shoulder....but i doubt seriously that Jake gave up. Shanahan gave up on that season. We were 7-4 and in the playoff hunt with a veteran team coming off an AFC title game appearance.

errand
08-14-2010, 02:20 PM
No need to argue this anymore. Bottom line is I'm ecstatic that he's now 100% healthy with two good ankles. No more excuses. If he's half as good as the folks on this board portend, then the Denver Broncos will be in good shape offensively this year.

3800 yards passing 21 td's and only 12 ints generally is considered a pretty good year for most QB's not named Manning, Brees, or Brady.

I agree our team's issues run deeper than who our QB is. We need better production from Moreno, we need our OL issues resolved, and WR's need to step up....and our D needs to stop opposing running backs from running roughshod over them.

Kyle
08-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Every time someone does something that the media doesn't expect them to or think they CAN do, or the media just hasn't noticed them doing it all along because they are too tied up on whatever every East coast team and/or Brett Favre are doing, they refer to it being done "Quietly." Man that was a long sentence.

Anyway. I think anytime you are doing things before a national audience or with a national media watching you you are most definitely not doing it quietly!

CEH
08-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Look, Orton does well this year, and there will be huge interest from anyone who doesn't sign a quarterback named Brady or Manning. It's a career year for him. Good year, and he makes 35-45 million dollars over five years. Do poorly, and he will be making ten over two. If Tebow doesn't do well, they probably franchise him for a year - 10 million right there. The best circumstances for the Broncos are for both Orton to do well (slap him with a franchise tag and trade him) and for Tebow to do well (because he's got more mobility and a better arm then Orton, and he is infinitely more marketable - and yes, the NFL is a business - then Orton).

That's powerful incentive to do well for Orton. Powerful incentive to play up Orton for the Broncos. It's a win win all around, unless your name is Brady Quinn.

I disagree. After 5 years, Orton is who he is a stop gap QB . He had a decent season with Denver last year and they didn't commit any money to him infact brought in 2 QBs to replace him

Orton will never see 35-40 MM even with an improved '10

The crappy teams will look to draft a top flight QB , the mid level teams might sign him but not at that amount and the top teams he would be a backup

He's kinda in no man lands though he will always have a job in the NFL

errand
08-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey how did your boy Cutler score on the same test last year? And the year before, for that matter?

When it comes down to career winning %, Cutler would have finished behind 15 of the AFC's starting QB's. He's currently sitting at .453

errand
08-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Failed on both counts?

Odd considering about half the Broncos wins last year were come-from-behind 4th quarter (or OT) victories. You really can't lead better or react better to adversity than in instances like that.

Last year the Broncos were the poster child of mediocre. 8 wins 8 losses, 4-4 at home and the road, 3-3 in the division...326 points scored 324 points allowed.

errand
08-14-2010, 07:21 PM

[] Orton was in his 1st season in that offense, Cassell was not. Cassell struggled last year learning a new offense.

[] Orton's OL had injury problems last season, and was also learning a new power scheme vs. zone blocking

[] Stokely, Royal, and Scheffler, were MIA's last year...which is why Orton force fed Marshall the ball.

[] As for your comment about a QB shouldn't be in the NFL if they can't look good with those alleged weapons...what about a QB that couldn't win half his starts with those same weapons?

Pseudofool
08-14-2010, 07:27 PM
[] As for your comment about a QB shouldn't be in the NFL if they can't look good with those alleged weapons...what about a QB that couldn't win half his starts with those same weapons?He said "look good," he didn't say anything about winning. ;)

lostknight
08-14-2010, 08:37 PM
What?

Football outsiders did a great set of analysis, and discovered that even with Tyler Polumbus - who was a disaster, the rate of "rushes" was much lower in Denver then all but two other teams.

lostknight
08-14-2010, 08:39 PM
3800 yards passing 21 td's and only 12 ints generally is considered a pretty good year for most QB's not named Manning, Brees, or Brady.

It wasn't enough to get him into the top third of quarterbacks. Again, in a system that is insanely oriented towards wide receivers.

I agree our team's issues run deeper than who our QB is. We need better production from Moreno, we need our OL issues resolved, and WR's need to step up....and our D needs to stop opposing running backs from running roughshod over them.

True, Orton is mediocre - just like the rest of the team was last year. Straight down the middle.

Beantown Bronco
08-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Last year the Broncos were the poster child of mediocre. 8 wins 8 losses, 4-4 at home and the road, 3-3 in the division...326 points scored 324 points allowed.

This has zero to do with my post or the post I was responding to. Please try to keep up.