PDA

View Full Version : HBO Hard Knocks with the NY Jets

The MVPlaya
08-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Did anyone catch the premiere?

Did some of you cringe, piss through your apron's and throw your cooking spatula's at the TV when you saw live tackling in TRAINING CAMP? It's hard to believe right? ANOTHER TEAM running a physical, full on tackle, practice during TRAINING CAMP?

extralife
08-12-2010, 01:10 AM
So I take it this thread is not really about HBO Hard Knocks with the NY Jets

OBF1
08-12-2010, 02:12 AM
HBO sucks

The MVPlaya
08-12-2010, 04:52 AM

It is what it is...

RhymesayersDU
08-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Got it on my DVR, can't wait to check it out.

FISH
08-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Hmmm....someone told me there would be cookies in here....sigh....no cookies

RhymesayersDU
08-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Nobody told you that.

Binkythefrog
08-12-2010, 06:02 AM
HBO sucks

HBO's sports stuff is awesome. Boxing, Real Sports, Hard Knocks.... great production and commentary.

FISH
08-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Nobody told you that.

Yes huh

Rabb
08-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Did anyone catch the premere?

Did some of you cringe, piss through your apron's and throw your cooking spatula's at the TV when you saw live tackling in TRAINING CAMP? It's hard to believe right? ANOTHER TEAM running a physical, full on tackle, practice during TRAINING CAMP?

I was thinking that exact thing when watching it...they seem to play pretty well too

weird, we may be onto something

Rex and McD are good pals also I believe

bronco militia
08-12-2010, 06:50 AM
I was thinking that exact thing when watching it...they seem to play pretty well too

weird, we may be onto something

Rex and McD are good pals also I believe

not sure about that....I know Wink is good friends with the Ryan Family

zdoor
08-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Thought it was one of the better hard knocks so far. I think Rex Ryan is a funny SOB...

Rabb
08-12-2010, 07:22 AM
not sure about that....I know Wink is good friends with the Ryan Family

you are right, that's what I was thinking...my fault

Los Broncos
08-12-2010, 07:50 AM
hbo's sports stuff is awesome. Boxing, real sports, hard knocks.... Great production and commentary.

+1

The MVPlaya
08-12-2010, 07:52 AM
It's a good show... getting inside the doors of life in the NFL. Any football fanatic should love it, regardless of their feelings of a certain team/player/coach/person.

Speaking of, Cromartie was looking pretty nice and the off season drills he was running with the tires looked intense... props.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Love this show. They really do as good of a job as you can of giving you an idea of camp from every angle.

Mr.Meanie
08-12-2010, 08:07 AM
I love Hard Knocks. For some reason though, Rex Ryan lost me. He seems a bit goofy, imo. Last year Marvin Lewis seemed so much more hardcore than Ryan in comparison.

The MVPlaya
08-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I love Hard Knocks. For some reason though, Rex Ryan lost me. He seems a bit goofy, imo. Last year Marvin Lewis seemed so much more hardcore than Ryan in comparison.

Thank so? I thought it was the other way around. I actually lost respect for Marvin after last years hard knocks... doesn't seem like a real winning coach with passion.

bronco militia
08-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Thank so? I thought it was the other way around. I actually lost respect for Marvin after last years hard knocks... doesn't seem like a real winning coach with passion.

I didn't get that feeling, but I couldn't believe Marvin puts up with the meddling owner

The MVPlaya
08-12-2010, 08:18 AM
I didn't get that feeling, but I couldn't believe Marvin puts up with the meddling owner

True. Definitely shows some perspective to how Bowlen lets his coaches do the job (at least that's what's said).

It seems as if Marvin is too laid back in sense... and when he gets fiery it's not real fiery.

He did have a successful season though with the Bengals. :thumbsup:

i4jelway7
08-12-2010, 08:19 AM
anyone have a torrent link yet?

Mr.Meanie
08-12-2010, 08:21 AM

Maybe it's all about our preconcieved. Before last season's Hard Knocks I always thought Marvin Lewis was weak and a bad coach, but I loved watching him last year.

On the flip side, I thought Ryan was going to be the most intense coach with fiery speeches and insane work ethic.... but half the time he seems to be goofing off.

I like Ryan's personality, I was just expecting something different I guess.

The MVPlaya
08-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Maybe it's all about our preconcieved. Before last season's Hard Knocks I always thought Marvin Lewis was weak and a bad coach, but I loved watching him last year.

On the flip side, I thought Ryan was going to be the most intense coach with fiery speeches and insane work ethic.... but half the time he seems to be goofing off.

I like Ryan's personality, I was just expecting something different I guess.

It was the 1st episode... so we'll see as the season progresses. As with him goofing off and all that, that could be a good part of HBO showing entertainment. He's definitely probably goofing off moreso than other coaches, but that's along with his personality.

As far as work ethic goes, I'm sure it's there... they didn't focus on it too much this episode. We know the fiery speeches are there... there's no doubt to that.

Rabb
08-12-2010, 08:34 AM
It was the 1st episode... so we'll see as the season progresses. As with him goofing off and all that, that could be a good part of HBO showing entertainment. He's definitely probably goofing off moreso than other coaches, but that's along with his personality.

As far as work ethic goes, I'm sure it's there... they didn't focus on it too much this episode. We know the fiery speeches are there... there's no doubt to that.

exactly

believe me, Rex is going to unload on someone...it's just a matter of time

as one of the players said, he works well there because he is viewed as one of them

SonOfLe-loLang
08-12-2010, 09:05 AM
One thing I always find funny (and it is a good angle, so i will not blame them) is how they tout basic camp fodder (and how the coaches discuss said players as if they are all future pro-bowlers.) Like after watching the Bengals last year, they discussed all their running backs like they were going to be huge stars. And last night, they talked about Kevin Basped like he was going to change the game...only to cut him a few minutes later because of a knee problem.

Jay3
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Did anyone catch the premiere?

Hey, easy with the SPOILERS!!

colonelbeef
08-12-2010, 05:05 PM

haha

brother love
08-12-2010, 05:10 PM
The Jets and Revis aren't anywhere even close to a new contract. From the 1st episode it looks like the jets would easily go without him this year.

RhymesayersDU
08-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Hey, easy with the SPOILERS!!

ROFL

/thread

Hogan11
08-13-2010, 08:51 AM
HBO's sports stuff is awesome. Boxing, Real Sports, Hard Knocks.... great production and commentary.

Real Sports? Ha! Yeah, whatever would I do without the Bryant Gumbal sob story hour? Hilarious!

SonOfLe-loLang
08-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Real Sports? Ha! Yeah, whatever would I do without the Bryant Gumbal sob story hour? Hilarious!

I love real sports...whats your issue with it?

Los Broncos
08-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Same here, love that show.

bap454
08-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I forgot how insainly stacked the Jets team is. The calibure of players on the team borders being unfair. How can they not be Super Bowl contenders.

Hogan11
08-13-2010, 12:10 PM

Lack of story variation makes the show get old real fast. Almost always some sob story milked to the hilt by Gumbal. Yawn.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Lack of story variation makes the show get old real fast. Almost always some sob story milked to the hilt by Gumbal. Yawn.

I have a real feeling you dont watch it much. if lack of variation means they dont go outside the world of sports, then well, i dont know what to tell you. But they do a nice job of balancing human interest stories, a diff POV of major sports stories in america, along with sports around the world.

DBruleU
08-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Plus, Gumbal's a tool. My Uncle was a reporter with NBC for years, and worked along side Gumbal... he has countless stories of how arrogant and overall douche bag that guy is.

SonOfLe-loLang
08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Plus, Gumbal's a tool. My Uncle was a reporter with NBC for years, and worked along side Gumbal... he has countless stories of how arrogant and overall douche bag that guy is.

Well, of course he's an arrogant douchebag, but he has little to do with anything except for a parting shot or two...so who cares?

boltaneer
08-13-2010, 02:46 PM
I forgot how insainly stacked the Jets team is. The calibure of players on the team borders being unfair. How can they not be Super Bowl contenders.

They've certainly got a lot of talent but they've also really stirred the pot by bringing in a number of big name vets. It will be interesting to see how their team chemistry is this season.

snowspot66
08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
They've certainly got a lot of talent but they've also really stirred the pot by bringing in a number of big name vets. It will be interesting to see how their team chemistry is this season.

I don't expect big things from them. They'll be hyped up because they're from New York and then they'll stumble and egos will be bruised. They backed into the playoffs last year and now they're a Super Bowl contender? I don't think so.

boltaneer
08-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't expect big things from them. They'll be hyped up because they're from New York and then they'll stumble and egos will be bruised. They backed into the playoffs last year and now they're a Super Bowl contender? I don't think so.

The offensive gameplan for every team should be pretty simple against the Jets. Just run at Cromartie. :flower:

Yes, they certainly are getting a lot of hype.

DomCasual
08-13-2010, 04:00 PM
The offensive gameplan for every team should be pretty simple against the Jets. Just run at Cromartie. :flower:

Yes, they certainly are getting a lot of hype.

I found the opening segment about the things he has to do to support his family particularly poignant - and ironic.

I wonder if the producers had their tongues planted in their cheeks as they included that part.

Xenos
08-13-2010, 10:44 PM
It's a good show... getting inside the doors of life in the NFL. Any football fanatic should love it, regardless of their feelings of a certain team/player/coach/person.

Speaking of, Cromartie was looking pretty nice and the off season drills he was running with the tires looked intense... props.
He did that last season as well. Didn't stop him from running the opposite direction when it came to tackling someone, particularly a running back.

snowspot66
08-14-2010, 12:02 AM
He did that last season as well. Didn't stop him from running the opposite direction when it came to tackling someone, particularly a running back.

That clip of him dancing around and chasing after the RB is pretty hilarious. I can only imagine the rage that must have induced. The only thing worse might be the Raiders Bay clip where he gets in a foot race. Though the Chiefs have one where the LB is getting dragged 20 yards. But that's just plain funny. At least he tried.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2010, 12:21 AM
I've never watched 'Hard Knocks' before, but decided to give it a go this year.

I recorded the first episode and am watching it now.

Los Broncos
08-14-2010, 01:09 AM
I watched it tonight and liked it.

It was pretty sad to see players cut, makes you realize how hard it really is to make it in the NFL.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2010, 01:24 AM
'Hard Knocks' was pretty good....I'll keep watching it.

vancejohnson82
08-14-2010, 06:53 AM
the Jets made a bunch of big name moves but I don't like a lot of the guys they picked up:

- The Ghost of Ladanian Tomlinson
- Cromartie
- Scissorhands Edwards
- Smoktonio Holmes

I know they made some other moves, but this is the majority...I'm not really impressed. They go 9-7, maybe get a wildcard and Rex Ryan will learn not to paint a bullseye on your teams back.

Editor's Note: I hate the Jets after living in NJ for most of my life...their fans are the worst

The MVPlaya
08-14-2010, 07:15 AM
the Jets made a bunch of big name moves but I don't like a lot of the guys they picked up:

- The Ghost of Ladanian Tomlinson
- Cromartie
- Scissorhands Edwards
- Smoktonio Holmes

I know they made some other moves, but this is the majority...I'm not really impressed. They go 9-7, maybe get a wildcard and Rex Ryan will learn not to paint a bullseye on your teams back.

Editor's Note: I hate the Jets after living in NJ for most of my life...their fans are the worst

Don't forget Jason Taylor.

I know a lot of people hate on the Jets. They're in a pretty tough division minus the Bills... but they still managed to have the best defense in the league being in that division. They were 1 game away from the SB and the future looks bright for the most part.

Kris Jenkins is returning. Mark Sanchez is only getting better. And they still have a good RB duo..

However, I do believe they'll need Revis back since he was such a vital part of that defense last year. He allowed them to do many things other teams can't do. So I think they'll need him back to be solid for the long run.

They lost some olineman I believe too, so that might be something to also look out for.

Rex knows how to scheme up a good defense and get his team playing on Sundays.

For them to be playing well this year I think it is important that Sanchez has to play better and improve, and they still have to be able to operate without Revis for however long they have to.

They'll be an interesting team to watch... anyone sitting here claiming they're an average team is fooling themselves a bit.

It should be a good match up when they come to Denver week 6.