PDA

View Full Version : My Quick AM TC report 8/11 and a few notes on the PM practice

BroncoDoug
08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Just a couple of notes that I noticed while at the practice this morning...

It was my first practice since the opening day, but Tebow's throwing has improved since then. He had a lot of zip on it, and was hitting the receiver in the perfect spots. Very encouraging to see... Orton still looked good and is still the best QB thus far at camp.

Both Orton and Tebow threw picks in team drills, but were getting little to no time to throw. The offensive line had is struggles today, combined with Jamal Williams blowing up almost every play. I think if he can stay healthy he will do good things for us...

Ryan Torain....er I mean Justin Fargas made his Broncos debut today wearing #42, he was wearing a brace on his knee and had a limp to him when just walking, but seemed to run around just fine.

Richard Quinn didn't have a good practice, he jumped offside on the punt return team right after messing up his assignment. Then dropped a couple of easy passes that hit him right in his hands.

Orton did throw a nice TD pass in the redzone to the back of the endzone to Daniel Graham. Tebow looked indecisive during the redzone drills getting what would be sacks on a few plays, and just throwing the ball away on a few others. He really looked to want to throw it instead of just tucking it and running.

I can try to answer any questions and I will be going back to the evening practice later today

dbfan21
08-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the post. I am really nervous about our offensive line. They're going to get our QB and RBs killed if they don't step it up!!

gtown
08-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Awesome to hear that Jamal is doing well in the middle. His presence will blunt the blow of losing Dumervil. If we can stop the run and win the down and distance battle, we might be able to get Ayers and Moss or whoever to t-off during obvious passing situations.

TheReverend
08-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Good info, thank you

BroncoDoug
08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I should also mention that Ayers was in the backfield so much he might as well of been taking the snaps... That was good to see, but I didnt see him leave, but the reports I've read suggest he is fine. I'll see if he is out there this afternoon

Houshyamama
08-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Awesome to hear that Jamal is doing well in the middle. His presence will blunt the blow of losing Dumervil. If we can stop the run and win the down and distance battle, we might be able to get Ayers and Moss or whoever to t-off during obvious passing situations.

I have a feeling that Jamal Williams is going to be HUGE for us this year. Your loss Chuggers, your loss.

*WARHORSE*
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
First off, thanks for the report. Rep!

How does Haggans look outside?

How about Ayodele inside?

Woodyard?

Also, how much time are we spending in shotgun?

Under center?

Are the running plays still coming out of the shotgun, or from under center?

If we keep running out of the shotgun, Im gonna go nuts.

diehardbroncosfan
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I have a feeling that Jamal Williams is going to be HUGE for us this year. Your loss Chuggers, your loss.

Well obviously he's going to be huge, but will he be any good? That's the question. :wiggle:

Rabb
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks for the recap

Los Broncos
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info, good stuff.

diehardbroncosfan
08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Thank you. Good report.

oubronco
08-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks Doug

BroncoDoug
08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
First off, thanks for the report. Rep!

How does Haggans look outside?

How about Ayodele inside?

Woodyard?

Also, how much time are we spending in shotgun?

Under center?

Are the running plays still coming out of the shotgun, or from under center?

If we keep running out of the shotgun, Im gonna go nuts.

HAHA whoa there cowboy slow down... I would need some to take some good notes for all those questions but I know Woodyard was starting for DJ when they went full contact, DJ was in the non contact orange jersey.

As far as the shotgun, they ran it a lot, not sure the % of plays, but the entire redzone 11 on 11 they ran shotgun, but never ran the ball...

But I will be going to the afternoon practice and will pay attention to all that the best I can, I'm no Montrose or Kaylore

Br0nc0Buster
08-11-2010, 01:26 PM
thanks for the update
glad to hear about how Ayers and Tebow are coming along

outdoor_miner
08-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I should also mention that Ayers was in the backfield so much he might as well of been taking the snaps... That was good to see, but I didnt see him leave, but the reports I've read suggest he is fine. I'll see if he is out there this afternoon

This is so encouraging... Hopefully, he shows something in preseason too. It would be so great if he stepped up big time this year.

BroncoDoug
08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Well obviously he's going to be huge, but will he be any good? That's the question. :wiggle:

yeah I think his health is going to be the biggest thing, if he is healthy he is going to be a disruptive force, but how long until his knee gives out on him.

oubronco
08-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't know if I should be worried about the O-line or excited about nthe D-line

Gcver2ver3
08-11-2010, 01:33 PM
how does a RB that limps around just when walking passes a physical?...

signing an injured back to replace injured backs?...

i hope this is not the case...

BroncoDoug
08-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't know if I should be worried about the O-line or excited about nthe D-line

Yeah I feel the same way, the defense looked very good today, they were pumped at every stop and dancing and hooting and hollering, I guess we need to see the Broncos starting O line, they were Missing Clady and Kuper and Hotchsiten was in a lot with the starters

prunch
08-11-2010, 01:39 PM
For some reason i cant post new threads. Anyway .... Cox gets another pick in camp ..... all in a days work ..... kid is consistent, ill give him that

http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/08/11/five-observations-aug-11-morning-practice/

1. In recent days, the skies have cleared above Dove Valley, and Wednesday morning’s practice took place under azure skies and abundant sunshine. But the clouds of injury haven’t lifted, as linebacker Robert Ayers, tight end Marquez Branson and wide receiver Jabar Gaffney did not finish the morning session.

Ayers, who turned in another solid goal-line period early in the practice, appeared to suffer an arm injury in the second half of the session but remained on the sideline through the end of practice.

“I’m fine,” Ayers said.

Ayers remained on the field through the end of practice. The same could not be said of Gaffney and Branson, neither of whom finished the two-hour session. Gaffney walked off the field. Branson’s problem appeared far more serious; he left via cart.

It’s worth noting that the Broncos aren’t the only injury-addled team; the Carolina Panthers will play their preseason opener in Baltimore on Thursday night without 11 players, according to Carolina coach John Fox via Darin Gantt of The Charlotte Observer.

2. Justin Fargas was in uniform for Wednesday morning’s session, but didn’t take any repetitions in the team periods as he went through a practice for the first time since last season — and, more significantly, for the first time since March, when he said he underwent an arthroscopic procedure.

“I was rehabbing from that and at the same time progressing toward game shape,” Fargas said. “But there’s nothing like putting on the pads and getting into camp mode.”

When asked whether he was in game shape, Fargas smiled.

“I will be when the game comes,” he said.

3. The most telling indicator of the offense’s struggles Wednesday morning came at the end of practice, when the offense ran windsprints while the defense went into a walk-through period to conclude the practice. For the offense, the day was defined by struggles early (one touchdown on five plays in a goal-line period) and late (a Perrish Cox interception of a Kyle Orton pass on the last play of practice).

“We didn’t practice well today,” Orton said. “Not to dwell on one practice, but we didn’t come out and play as well as we should have.

“Last night, we had one of our better practices as a unit. We had a lot of energy coming out (Wednesday), saying that we wanted to come out and back it up, and we couldn’t do it.

“We’ve had great practices … We have to eliminate these ones where we come out kind of flat.”

4. In defense of the offense, the first unit was decimated by the end of practice. It was working without its top returning receiver (Gaffney), its top rookie receiver (Demaryius Thomas), two of its three veteran first-team offensive linemen (Ryan Clady and Chris Kuper) and its top three running backs (Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, LenDale White). The offense also worked without Brandon Stokley, who had all of the yards on a two-minute drill drive Wednesday. Stokley’s absence is apparently not related to injury; like many older veterans, he has been given respites throughout training camp.

5. Linebacker Joe Mays has wasted little time working his way into action. Early last week, he was on the first units of multiple special-teams practices. By last Thursday, he was seeing the occasional first-team repetition at inside linebacker. By Wednesday, he was working regularly on the first unit, playing at the spot Akin Ayodele has handled in recent days.

When the Broncos traded for Mays, Josh McDaniels noted that the third-year linebacker possessed “upside.” This is a logical assessment, given Mays’s relative lack of experience (13 games and one start) and his transition from a Division I-AA program (North Dakota State).

“He’s a different style of inside linebacker than we have (in) some of our other guys here,” McDaniels said on Aug. 1.

titan
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the report. The offensive line has me concerned, too. At least from what I've read the 2 rookies have talent (Walton and Beadles) but they are going to have their growing pains. Long term if they are 2 solid starters that's a big return from this draft.

I hear Clady is walking around fine at training camp, but mum is the word on when he'll be back. Ryan Harris was on Vic and Gary this morning and he avoided the question when asked about Clady's health. Harris did say his injured toe felt great.

BroncoDoug
08-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Yeah, from what I hear he failed his physical with the Raiders, and thats why he isn't with them now. Maybe the Broncos just need bodies in there till buck and knowshon can come back

underrated29
08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I think the OL will be fine. It is the DL that is just big pimping right now. Lets not forget just how much our line went to crap after harris went down last year. Clady will make a HUGE difference once back.

Our DL started out last year allowing the fewest rush yards, on par with the ravens of 2k. before they faded. It would be presumable that we might start hot again like this.

Give the OL time. They will be fine

diehardbroncosfan
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Mays must be impressing if he's working his way into first team reps. Good to hear!

Hogan11
08-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, from what I hear he failed his physical with the Raiders, and thats why he isn't with them now. Maybe the Broncos just need bodies in there till buck and knowshon can come back

I don't think there's any maybes about it....once they return, Huggy Jr. & White are history

SonOfLe-loLang
08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I don't think there's any maybes about it....once they return, Huggy Jr. & White are history

We're gonna have more than two backs on the roster. I dont understand why youd assume Fargas and White wouldnt be among the backups

Houshyamama
08-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Then why was White brought on even though he's due to miss the first 4 games of the season. Surely Moreno and Buckhalter will be back before then.

BMF Bronco
08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I heard on ESPN radio this AM that whomever was speaking (can't remember his name) was saying the Broncos looked crisp and my be surprising a lot of people this year, man I hope so.

Hogan11
08-11-2010, 03:27 PM
We're gonna have more than two backs on the roster. I dont understand why youd assume Fargas and White wouldnt be among the backups

I'm skeptical that they'd keep them on past Knowson's & Buck's return when the team already has younger, healthier and cheaper options (Hall, Ball & Baker) for backups on the roster.

Then why was White brought on even though he's due to miss the first 4 games of the season. Surely Moreno and Buckhalter will be back before then.

You got me. The guy didn't even show up in shape and was injured straight away. Like Fargas, if there was any real interest there, they would've been signed much earlier than they were rather than as a positional camp band aid.

Kaylore
08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Ask yourself why they would sign someone who can't play the first four games. Answer: so they have backs to practice with. I fully expect White to be cut once everyone is healthy.

BigPlayShay
08-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Ask yourself why they would sign someone who can't play the first four games. Answer: so they have backs to practice with. I fully expect White to be cut once everyone is healthy.

Suspended players do not take up a roster spot though, right? They go on the Reserve/Suspended list.

broncofan2438
08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the updates, always good to hear

Houshyamama
08-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Talk about a fall from grace. You'd think they could find a host of backs to use other than White. And if they were planning on cutting him before the reg. season, why haven't they already done so now that he's injured?

oubronco
08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Broncos goal-line defense coming up strong in training camp

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
<!--date-->Posted: 08/11/2010 03:38:49 PM MDT<IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 260px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FLOAT: right; HEIGHT: 25px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" id=facebook-like-top src="http://www.facebook.com/widgets/like.php?href=http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15745247&action=recommend" frameBorder=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
<!--secondary date-->Updated: 08/11/2010 04:07:33 PM MDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0811/20100811__BRONCOS_PRACTICE_JL401~p1.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=3165808 ) New Broncos running back Justin Fargas in drills at the morning practice Wednesday. More photos. (http://photos.denverpost.com/mediacenter/category/sports/broncos/) (John Leyba, The Denver Post)

How the Broncos fared in Wednesday's training camp practice at Dove Valley:

Highlight
Remember all those rushing yards the Broncos' defense surrendered against the likes of Jamaal Charles, Michael Bush and Ladell Betts in the second half of last season? There have been two "live" goal-line drills during training camp where the offense runs the ball and the defense knows it's a run. There were several handoffs in this scenario Saturday night and several more today. The offense has yet to score. No doubt, the Broncos' defensive front appears far stouter against the run this year with the likes of Jamal Williams, Ron Fields and Justin Bannan providing an interior push.

"Nobody runs on the Denver Broncos, especially down here."
— Fired up defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely, exhorting his unit after it repeatedly stuffed the offense during a goal-line run drill.

Lowlight
Is it time for the Broncos to pull a Brett Favre on the remaining days of training camp? During that same goal-line running drill today, the Broncos lost tight end Marquez Branson to a significant right ankle injury. Branson, who was to fill Tony Scheffler's "receiving" tight end role this season, was carted off the field, then helped into the locker room. The list of injured Broncos includes their top three running backs (Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, LenDale White); two top offensive linemen (Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper), two top rookie receivers (DeMaryius Thomas, Eric Decker) and their top receiving tight end.

Position battle
In a drill where offensive linemen go one-on-one with defensive linemen, the most intriguing matchup was 13-year, Pro Bowl nose tackle Jamal Williams going against rookie center J.D. Walton. In the first rep, Williams burrowed Walton back to the quarterback in a second flat. The next time, Williams got an initial surge, but Walton was able to hold his ground. "Just working on getting us better," Williams said.

Quarterback watch
Kyle Orton — Mostly a running day for the offense, but he threw the ball well except for a Nate Jones pick.
Brady Quinn — Mostly a running day.
Tim Tebow — Mostly a running day here, too.

Camp schedule:
Thursday: One practice, 2:30-4:30, open to the public. Admission and parking are free.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15745247

oubronco
08-11-2010, 04:15 PM
<IFRAME style="Z-INDEX: 100000; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; POSITION: absolute; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 1px; HEIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; LEFT: 0px" id=_atssh24 height=1 src="//s7.addthis.com/static/r07/sh21.html#cb=0&ab=-&dh=www.orangemane.com&dr=&du=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.orangemane.com%2FBB%2Fshowthre ad.php%3Ft%3D93072%26page%3D2&dt=&inst=1&lng=en-us&pc=men-152&pub=&ssl=0&sid=4c634b9e9446bb5b&srd=1&srf=0.02&srp=0.2&srx=0&ver=152&xck=0&rev=79292&xd=1" width=1 name=_atssh24 frameborder="0"></IFRAME>
Posted August 11, 2010 (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/08/11), 4:27 pm MT
For kicks, let’s say the Broncos beat the Jags

By Mike Klis (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/author/mike-klis/)

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js"></SCRIPT><!-- ADDTHIS BUTTON END -->

<!--Retweet (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/08/11/for-kicks-lets-say-the-broncos-beat-the-jags/4403/)
-->

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/files/2010/08/broncos_expectations.jpg (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/files/2010/08/broncos_expectations.jpg) Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/tim-tebow/) at Dove Valley on Wednesday. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)

In coffee shops, across the bar, around the neighborhood, people I run into are down on the Broncos.

The slew of injuries — most notably to Elvis Dumervil (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/elvis-dumervil/), Ryan Clady (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/ryan-clady/) and Knowshon Moreno (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/knowshon-moreno/) — have lowered expectations that weren’t exactly robust to begin with.
Just like this time last year, I’ve heard a ton of 6-10 predictions. I heard one talk-show person say he thought the Broncos would be much improved this year, and in the same sentence said he expected them to finish 6-10 or 7-9.

What da?

We all do it because it’s fun but projecting out a 16-game record is nuts because the NFL is such a week-to-week business. And this year’s Broncos are the ultimate wait-and-see team.

For instance, what happens if the Broncos beat Jacksonville in week 1? Because, as Jacksonville will be reminded a time or two during that week, the Broncos have hometown boy Tim Tebow (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/tim-tebow/) and the Jags don’t. Tebow rushes for one touchdown, throws a 3-yard completion off an option for another score and the Broncos beat the Jags, 21-17.

It wouldn’t be the biggest upset in NFL history (the home-field Jags are but 2 1/2-point favorites). It probably wouldn’t be the biggest upset of Week 1. The Jags finished 7-9 after losing their final four games last year. The Broncos finished 8-8 after losing their last four.

So now the Broncos are 1-0. Next they play the Seattle Seahawks, who are coming off a 5-11 season and bringing back former Denver coaches Alex Gibbs (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/alex-gibbs/), Jeremy Bates (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/jeremy-bates/), Jedd Fisch (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/tag/jedd-fisch/) and the zone-blocking system to Invesco Field. The favored Broncos win and now are 2-0 with Peyton Manning coming to town.

What will expectations for the Broncos’ season be like then. (OK, wise guy, besides 2-1.)
The point is, bleak as it seems now, everything changes if the Broncos can beat the Jags. If they don’t, well, I can imagine the conversation going something like this: “I hear what you’re saying, Charlie. Make it a Coors Light.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/08/11/for-kicks-lets-say-the-broncos-beat-the-jags/4403/

oubronco
08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
2010 Denver Broncos Training Camp-Kaptain's Log August 11th - AM Practice Report

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/profile_images/314020/mmgg_004_tiny.JPG by KaptainKirk (http://www.sbnation.com/users/KaptainKirk) on Aug 11, 2010 3:00 PM MDT (http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/11/1618130/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp) in 2010 Denver Broncos Training Camp (http://www.milehighreport.com/section/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp) http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v8c9bafb.png 18 comments
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/517959/67757_broncos_camp_football.jpg (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp-19) More photos » (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp-19) JACK DEMPSEY - AP
about 24 hours ago: Denver Broncos rookie linebackers Jammie Kirlew (53) from Indiana, Kevin Alexander (48) from Clemson and Devin Bishop (49) from California leave the practice field following NFL football training camp at Broncos headquarters in Englewood, Colo., Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2010. The rookies received new haircuts from veterans Saturday. (AP Photo/Jack Dempsey)

Browse more photos » (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp-19)

I am sitting at the 42 yard line this morning. Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" is coming through the loud speaker and the kickers are already getting loose. I see it's going to be a full pads practice as the Tight Ends gather and Devin Bishop (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109529/Devin_Bishop) and Tim Tebow (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108608/Tim_Tebow) walk out on to the field. Ther JUGG's machine is set up at the 10 yard line to my left. I hear what sounds like an unfamiliar Brooks and Dunn song now as the rest of the team filters out of the locker room. I was handed a Broncos Colorado Lottery Scratcher at the entrance this morning and as I await the onset of practice, I scratch off a dud. HORN.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
9 minutes go up on the segment clock and the Punt Return Unit sets up in front of me. They work on Fake Punt scenarios and how to handle them. We certainly don't need a repeat of the Redskins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/washington-redskins) game last year. Perrish Cox (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108693/Perrish_Cox) is taking the reps as returner and the Unit has Nate Jones, Darcel McBath (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71316/Darcel_McBath), Richard Quinn (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71320/Richard_Quinn), Spencer Larsen (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34974/Spencer_Larsen), Kyle McCarthy (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109536/Kyle_McCarthy), Matthew Willis (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16644/Matthew_Willis), David Bruton (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71315/David_Bruton), Jammie Kirlew (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108454/Jammie_Kirlew), Joe Mays (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34432/Joe_Mays) and Wesley Woodyard. It looks like Brandon Stokely, Brian Dawkins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1313/Brian_Dawkins), Jarvis Green (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1672/Jarvis_Green) and Champ Bailey (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2906/Champ_Bailey) have the morning off. Still out are Eric Decker (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108620/Eric_Decker) and DeMaryius Thomas. D.J. Williams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2969/D_J_Williams) has the "No Contact" jersey on and I spot the newest Bronco Justin Fargas (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3304/Justin_Fargas) wearing Kolby Smith's old number 42. HORN.

The Defense moves to the far field and the Offense gathers to my right at the 15 yard line for Red Zone passing drills vs. the Scouts. This is at walk through speed as they are installing more of the Offense. After five reps they switch directions and work on breaking out of the Red Zone area. I see 5 or 6 media still cameras set up along the end zone of the far field. They are right near where the Rookies got to play in the mud. HORN.

The clock resets to 14 minutes and it's time for the jogging and Hop, Skip and Jump routines. This is done to a Hip Hop song and whoever it is keeps saying the same thing 42 times. As if I didn't hear it the first time. Expand your vocabulary dude. The players spread out across the field to stretch and I see Chris Baker working next to Jeff Stehle (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109539/Jeff_Stehle) and Justin Bannan. With 2 minutes left, the players disperse toward their individual position drills. I see the ball boy sending bad snaps to the Quarterbacks as they warm up. HORN.

5 minutes on the clock. The Running Backs are running a high step agility drill through the strings (a grid of square openings made from bungee cords). Tebow sails a pass into the crowd during warmups with the ball boy. Kyle Orton moves the ball boy 30 yards down the field and all 3 QB's make solid throws. HORN.

Another 5 minute session. The RB's are drilling with the "Running Lane" mat and the QB's work pass routes with the Wide Receiver's. Patrick Carter (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34914/Patrick_Carter) drops a pass from Brady Quinn and they run it over again with success. Jabar Gaffney (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1667/Jabar_Gaffney) drops a Quinn pass and other than that, the drill goes well. Kyle discusses route adjustments with the Wide Receivers and Coach. HORN.

The clock is reset to 5 minutes and the QB's and WR's continue. The RB's hit the blocking sled and the Tight Ends drill with the Linebackers. It is toasty warm now and getting hotter by the minute. HORN.

Goal line 7 on 7's passing drills. On the opposite end of the field, the Offensive Line is moving the 7 man blocking sled. 5 guys are powering this sled 3 to 4 yards at a time. HORN.

Goal line 11 on 11's. Bruce Springsteen's "Badlands" simulates crowd noise as the Offense goes through running and passing drills. I don't have a very good vantage point for this drill and can't see much. HORN.

The clock resets to 8 minutes as the Units switch ends of the field. The Defense and Offense are jeering at one another and the "D" keeps it up throughout the next drills. They roar "HAWWW!" at the Offense and dare them to run through the line. Lance Ball (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/35095/Lance_Ball) gets strung out down the line for no gain and the Defense growls again. The LB's taking reps are Mario Haggan (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1872/Mario_Haggan), Wesley Woodyard (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34982/Wesley_Woodyard). Joe Mays and Robert Ayers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71313/Robert_Ayers). Jamal Williams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3038/Jamal_Williams) makes a tackle in the backfield and then another for no gain. Bruce Hall carries for a yard. Tebow runs a QB Draw and LeKevin Smith grabs him at the line. The Defense roars loudly at this. Lance Ball slashes for 5 yards on the next play. Coach Nunnelly repeats his often heard mantra, "Nobody runs on the Denver Broncos (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/denver-broncos)." Orton completes a pass to Brandon Lloyd (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1546/Brandon_Lloyd) and then Justin Fargas gets his first carry as a Bronco. He gains a couple of yards up the middle and a Defensive Lineman grabs his shirt tail preventing him from going further. He keeps his legs moving anyway and the rest of the team gets a laugh out of it. Toney Baker (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109527/Toney_Baker) has a nice run. HORN.

8 minutes on the clock and the Units switch ends. Darcel McBath is taking Brian Dawkins reps and Perrish Cox is filling in for Champ Bailey. Kyle Orton (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3114/Kyle_Orton) throws a TE screen to Richard Quinn. On the next play, Ryan McBean (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16791/Ryan_McBean) tips Orton's pass in the backfield, but it is complete to Brandon Lloyd anyway. Orton's next pass goes 70 yards, overthrowing Eddie Royal (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34978/Eddie_Royal) and the coverage. Eddie stopped running on the play, so it's hard to say if it would have been complete. Tebow completes a pass to Richard Quinn. Wesley Woodyard has a sack on Kyle Orton, who passes over the middle late to Gaffney. Andre' Goodman breaks up an Orton to Gaffney pass. The Defense is getting good penetration in this session. Kyle hits Nathan Overbay (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109537/Nathan_Overbay). Brady Quinn (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16698/Brady_Quinn) tries to get a pass to Britt Davis (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71851/Britt_Davis) but Alphonso Smith (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71322/Alphonso_Smith) denies him access and rides him out of bounds. Tebow misses a read and throws an incomplete intended for Gaffney. Brady Quinn hooks up with Lance Ball over the middle. HORN.

8 minutes on the clock and it's time for Punt Return drills again. This time Britton Colquitt (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/78003/Britton_Colquitt) gets to punt. Richard Quinn comes close to blocking a punt. Britton is booming 50 yard (from the line of scrimmage) punts with decent hang time. I can only count one one-thousand, to one-thousand as I don't possess a stop watch, but all the same, it seems like the hang time is okay. Eddie Royal comes in to take the last 2 reps at returner. HORN.

The clock is set for 8 minutes and it is time for 11 on 11's. McDaniels is tired of the Defense dominating and wants the Offense to do something about it. On the first play, Kyle Orton makes a bad throw to no one. Lance Ball carries the ball for 5 yards up the middle. Robert Ayers and Joe Mays meet Orton for a sack and Kyle passes to Matthew Willis anyway. The 2nd Teams rotate in and Bruce Hall (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34860/Bruce_Hall) picks up a few yards. Tebow throws a reverse Tight End screen that wobbles its way to Daniel Graham (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1671/Daniel_Graham). A WR screen to Eddie Royal is sniffed out by Nate Jones, but Eddie makes him miss the tackle. Akin Ayodele (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3385/Akin_Ayodele) is in the backfield pressuring Orton and Nate Jones intercepts the ball. HORN.

The segment clock resets to 5 minutes and the Defense goes over to the other field. The QB's, RB's, TE's and WR's stay together to work while the O-Line works with Coach Barone. HORN.

9 minutes on the segment clock. 7 on 7's Red Zone drills at the 20 yard line. Richard Quinn "stone hands" (drops) a pass from Orton. Andre' Goodman bats down the next pass intended for Matthew Willis. Orton to Bruce Hall for a short gain. The ball is spotted at the 10 yard line now. Tim Tebow throws a pass into Alric Arnett's back. Kyle Orton hooks up with Willis for a touchdown. Orton throws a fade to Brandon Lloyd for a touchdown. Orton throws to Eddie Royal for a touchdown. Brady Quinn connects with Daniel Graham (nice catch) for a touchdown. The ball is spotted at the 5 yard line. Tebow holds the ball and the receivers are covered so he throws a ball away that is nearly picked off. His next attempt is held way too long. He ends up throwing out of bounds towards a double covered receiver. Orton holds the ball too long and ends up completing a pass to Willis. Then Kyle tries to hit Royal in the back of the end zone but it is incomplete. HORN.

9 minutes on the clock. The ball is at the 20. 1st Nickel package 11 on 11's. Kyle Orton's pass intended for Lloyd is broken up by Andre' Goodman. Orton comes back to Lloyd at the 5 yard line. An inside hand off to Lance Ball is good for 5 yards. Brady Quinn passes to Alric Arnett, but it is broken up by Perrish Cox. Brice Hall takes an inside hand off 4 yards. Kyle hooks up with Brandon Lloyd past Tony Carter (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/78002/Tony_Carter) for a touchdown. The line of scrimmage is moved to the 10 yard line. Orton holds the ball and can't find anyone open. Three of his receivers just stopped running completely. The next play starts with a bad shotgun snap, Orton throws a quick sideline pass intended for Britt Davis, but totally misses him. Brady Quinn has to throw away a pass. Tim Tebow runs around the right side for no gain. He doesn't fare any better than the other two QB's in this session. Orton passes to Willis who shows good concentration as the ball bobbles. He is able to hold on, but he can't get into the end zone and is stopped at the 1 yard line. Orton passes incomplete to Matthew Willis. HORN.

5 more minutes on the clock. 1st Offense vs. the 1st "Base" Defense. Perrish Cox, Justin Bannan, Robert Ayers, Jamal Williams, Mario Haggan, Ryan McBean, Joe Mays, Andre' Goodman, Renaldo Hill (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2510/Renaldo_Hill) and Darcel McBath. Perrish Cox intercepts a Kyle Orton pass intended for Brandon Lloyd. HORN.

The Defense goes to the far field to cool down and Josh McDaniels (who is ticked off) makes the entire Offense run sideline sprints, up and back 5 times. Then the Offense huddles at midfield as the Defense heads to the locker room.

Autographs today are being signed by Britton Colquitt, Matt Prater (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/18973/Matt_Prater), Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Richard Quinn, Riar Geer, Nathan Overbay and Tim Tebow. I manage to obtain a Tebow signature on a ball cap and then Richard Quinn on another. By the Way, the Tebow cap is spoken for. A young nephew of mine is going to be the recipient and he is going to be on top of the world about it. I must get ready for the PM practice now.

Go Broncos!

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/11/1618130/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp#storyjump

oubronco
08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Potent Quotables 8/11/10

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/profile_images/249353/Broncos_camp_2_054_tiny.JPG by Sayre Bedinger (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Sayre%20Bedinger) on Aug 11, 2010 12:42 PM MDT (http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/11/1618008/potent-quotables-8-11-10-de-olb) in 2010 Denver Broncos Training Camp (http://www.milehighreport.com/section/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp) http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v8c9bafb.png 7 comments
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/517827/48134_broncos_camp_football.jpg (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/potent-quotables-8-11-10-de-olb) More photos » (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/potent-quotables-8-11-10-de-olb) David Zalubowski - AP

Browse more photos » (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/potent-quotables-8-11-10-de-olb)

From the Denver Broncos (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/denver-broncos) PR Department
LINEBACKER ROBERT AYERS

On whether it feels good to be working with the first-team defense
"Not really, that’s not a goal of mine. My goal is to get better and keep improving and when the season comes, be ready to dominate in the season. Being with the first team, that wasn’t a goal of mine – dominating on Sunday is."

On the praise he’s received from Head Coach Josh McDaniels
"Yeah, but I still have a lot of things to improve on and I’m not doing it every play. I don’t want to dominate 8-of-10 plays, I want to dominate 10-of-10. That’s my goal and that’s what I’m working on."

On the linebackers stepping up in place of injured LB Elvis Dumervil (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2920/Elvis_Dumervil)
"Of course everybody wants to prove themselves but we can’t let it fool us. We’re going to miss him but we’ve got to keep it going. People are going to have to step up. Mario (Haggan), myself, Jarvis (Moss), (Kevin) Alexander, (Jammie) Kirlew – everybody is going to have to step up and we’re just going to try to make it a group effort."

On the pressure he has faced as a former first-round pick
"It is but I put more pressure on myself than anyone else can so that really never bothers me. It’s just that I didn’t do what I wanted to do – that’s what gets to me. The things I hear, criticism from outside doesn’t bother me at all – it’s just motivation and like I said, I put more pressure on myself than anyone else can."

On his goals for this season
"My goal, every year I want to be great. I want to be amongst the elite and that’s what I’m going to keep working (toward). I’m not going to say that I’m going to come out and be elite but that’s my goal and if I fall short I’m just going to strap it back on and try again next year."

On whether he’ll be playing with a chip on his shoulder this year
"I’m going to play how I always have – a chip on my shoulder, even coming in last year I had a chip on my shoulder. Throughout college, throughout high school – and that’s just the way I approach it so I wouldn’t say I have a bigger chip this year, just a little more motivation. RUNNING BACK JUSTIN FARGAS

On how his first practice with the Broncos felt
“It feels good. I feel healthy – ready to start working and be a part of this team and be a part of this offense and contribute any way I can.”

On playing for Denver after seven seasons in Oakland
“Well, it’s a little different, but it feels good. It’s always been a great rivalry and the Broncos have always been an organization I’ve respected and to be a part of it now and have this opportunity – it feels good.”

On when the Broncos first contacted him
“Awhile back – we’ve been talking for awhile and just been trying to make sure the situation was right and it seems like a good situation, a good opportunity and I’m looking forward to it.”

On what he’s been told about his opportunity with the Broncos
“It’s really just, from what I understand, it’s just going to be whatever I make it. I’m just looking forward to working hard, learning as much as I can and just helping the offense.”

On his expectations
“Obviously to win and to contribute and I’m going to come out and just work hard every day and like I said, learn as much as I can right now. It’s a new offense, a new system, a new team, new city so I’m just getting adjusted but I’m expecting to learn fast and get in there and contribute.”

On his health
“I feel good, I feel healthy.”

On being the new guy in the locker room
“It’s a little bit different – new faces, don’t really know too many people. There are a few guys I’m familiar with just from being around the league a little bit but it’s good because there’s new opportunity. I had seven years in Oakland and that chapter is done and this is a new beginning for me and I’m looking forward to it.”

On starting out with a new team
“I’m just going to take it one practice at a time, one play at a time, one meeting at a time – learn as much as I can and obviously, I see the opportunity here and I want to make the most of it but the main thing is to learn.”

On playing with teammates and fellow USC RB LenDale White
“It feels good – the more SC guys, the better. I’m looking forward to working with all the backs.”

On whether he’ll play in the Broncos preseason opener at Cincinnati on Sunday
“I’m going to do whatever they ask me to do.”

On playing at a higher altitude
“It’s a little different. I noticed it when I was with Oakland – noticed it mostly at the beginning of the game or even during warm ups but as you settle into the game, it’s just playing football.”

On competition in the backfield
“Really, that’s one thing I’m looking forward to is working with the backs. I’m not here to work against anybody. You know, there’s competition and things like that but I know the better you are as a corps, the better the offense is and I’ve been in every position from the starter, to the last guy, to rotating in so I understand how to work with other guys and just take advantage of my opportunities.”

On the rivalry between the Broncos and Raiders
“It’s intense, it’s intense you know? But like I said, I always had a lot of respect and admiration for this organization – the way they conduct themselves, the way they can treat their players – it’s definitely first class and I’m glad to be part of it.”

On whether he has any animosity towards the Raiders
“No animosity. Obviously you want to go beat them but there are a whole lot of other teams that we have to worry about too so I’m just taking it day-by-day.”

On whether his big games in the past against the Broncos helped him end up in Denver
“Well I’ve noticed through experience that teams you perform well against tend to look to you when they have an opportunity so I saw that a lot in Oakland with guys that made plays against us and then we’d pick them up. Whatever it was that got me here, I’m just glad to be here.”

FULLBACK SPENCER LARSEN

On how he has made the transition from fullback to linebacker
“Well, I’ve kind learned more – instead of just running into somebody, you know, I try to have better technique, getting my body out of the way when I’m blocking because a lot of times I can be in the hole – certain positioning, footwork and stuff like that.

On if he ever imagined having a chance to carry the ball
“Not in the NFL. Growing up, especially in college, I never thought that I’d be playing (fullback in the NFL). But, like I said, things happen and different scenarios pop up and you just want to be able to handle them.”

On how he has made the transition physically
“You know, pad level, techniques – things like that. That’s the only way you can be consistent – if you have your techniques put together. That’s just something that is going to come with time and you just got to keep working on it.”

On is he misses playing defense
“I just want to play. I want to win, you know? I think that’s how we all feel. You just want to do your best to give us the best chance.”

On whether he is guaranteed a job since he’s the only fullback on the roster
“I don’t know about that, you’re never guaranteed anything.”

On being in his third year in Denver
“I’m feeling more comfortable. I felt as a rookie and last year, having a new coaching staff – everything you did was just so crucial and it still is that way – you have to have that same mentality but (I have) kind of a better feel for how it is and how to get through the best way.”

On whether he feels more comfortable being in his third year with the Broncos
“Definitely not as intimidating. You kind of feel like one of the guys and you’re just competing.”

On his versatility
“You just try to do as much as you can and become as capable as you can – there are many different possible scenarios.”

On what he’s learned about the NFL
“I think just how hard it is year in and year out – competing – there are new rookies every year and new guys that you’re competing with. I think that’s the biggest thing – it’s just a constant struggle.”

On whether he feels like a veteran
“Yeah, you feel – two years in here are kind of like dog years. You feel like you have more than just two (laughing).”

On the injuries in camp
“You never know – everybody is dealing with those injuries. You’ve just got to go ahead and improve at those areas the best you can because like I said, you don’t know.”

QUARTERBACK KYLE ORTON

On how the Saturday practice went for him
“Just another practice really, but I think the offense is coming along. We’re having some really good days and then coming out like this morning. We were flat and didn’t play as well as we should have. That’s got to be everybody’s goal – just to play at a consistently high level and really until we do that we are going to struggle being the great offense that we want to be.”

On how he recovers after a practice like this morning
“Just get ready to have a better one tonight. Like I said, we’ve had great practices. We’ve got to eliminate these ones where we come out kind of flat, you know, in the morning and all that stuff. We’ll bounce back. We’ve shown signs of being a good unit, and hopefully (we’ll) keep on working toward that goal.”

On the injuries to the receivers
“We’ve spent a lot of time together, so hopefully just get them back when we need them and we’ll roll right on through it.”

On if it will be a nice change to go against another team Sunday at Cincinnati
“Yeah, for sure. I mean, I don’t know how much you really prepare for a preseason game. You come in still focused on the things you want to focus on but, we’ll go out there and try to win that game, and like you said, hit somebody else and see what we’ve got.”

On LB Robert Ayers
“He’s a physical force, there’s no question. I think he’s got the message on what type of a pass rusher they want, and he does a great job collapsing the pocket, which any quarterback would tell you is the toughest one to throw to. You might not get to the quarterback the whole time, but you’re throwing with guys in your lap, and he’s pushing the tackle right back in the quarterback’s lap. He might not record a ton of sacks, but (he) makes it really hard for the quarterback.”

On how he is feeling physically this far into camp
“I’m feeling great. Yeah, I’m feeling great. I’m happy that my legs have really held in there – that’s always big for me. This is still the best that I’ve felt and throwing the ball better than I ever have and mentally just playing at a high level right now.”

On RB Justin Fargas
“Yeah, I don’t know him a ton, but I saw what he did in college and he’s had a few good years in the league too, so we’re happy to add experience and hopefully, he can help us out.”

On how he balances the quarterback position while helping some of the young receivers
“Well, my job is to make the offense go and that’s the approach I’ve taken the whole time. I expect myself to play at a high level, but, that being said, unless everybody else is doing it with me what’s really accomplished? That’s really been my goal from the outset – just make sure that all 11 guys are doing it on offense.”

On the mental toughness of the offense right now
“Well, we didn’t practice well today, so whatever the reason was, we’ve got to get it fixed. Not to dwell on one practice, but we didn’t come out here and play as well as we should have. (It’s) just disappointing because we had such a good practice yesterday, we had one of our better practices as a unit and I think we had a lot of energy coming out and we wanted to back it up and continue that streak and we just didn’t do it.”

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/11/1618008/potent-quotables-8-11-10-de-olb#storyjump

oubronco
08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Lance Ball sits with BroncoTalk (http://broncotalk.net/2010/08/15298/denver-broncos/lance-ball-sits-with/)

Posted Wed Aug 11th by Ian Henson (http://broncotalk.net/author/ian-henson/)

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LanceBallTrainingCamp-274x300.jpg Lance Ball runs during practice at Dove Valley. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

In the NFL a team consists of 60 some players, countless amounts of coaches, trainers and a doctor. The business side is an owner, a general manager, a press office, the sales team, web team and the list goes on…
Though it can be argued that the thankless position lies in the public relations office or concessions, the real thankless position lies on the practice squad. If you don’t believe me think back to the last time an NFL P.R. person put their life or body on the line for a story.
The practice squad is full of some the greatest football players the NFL has ever known. They’re good enough to make it into the league; they’re extraordinary in that they’re in that less than 1% of college football players who actually get to continue on professionally… Yet, all they get in return for putting their body, their mind and their lives on the line is practice.
Study next week’s opponent, not so you can play against them, but so you can play like them. Study next week’s opponent; not because you want to beat them, but because you want to be them.
This is the life of a practice squad player in the NFL.
One of those players was kind enough to spend a bit of time with me last weekend.
His name is Lance Ball, you may not know him, but you should. Josh McDaniels does and he hand picked him amongst everyone that was available to play on his team.
(Interview after the break)

• Ian Henson: You have been lucky enough to be privy to some of the top offenses in the NFL playing for the Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans and now Josh McDaniels‘ Denver Broncos;what do you think is different about the Broncos offense compared to say the Colts? Or is there much of a difference?
- Lance Ball: Well the Colts offense is primarily based on letting Mr. Manning have his way. Their percentage of passing the ball is way higher than running the ball. Here in Denver we take pride in our running game and [want] to establish that line first. We are more of a balanced team on offense. I’m just excited to see how things unfold down the line into training camp.
• IH: Not that you’re criticizing anyone by any means, but if you were the head coach of the Broncos given the players you have at the moment, would you orientate your offense more towards passing or running?
- LB: I wouldn’t change anything. Some games we may pass more than run or vise-versa, it’s our job to execute and make the plays. I believe we have enough talent on the team to do both well.
• IH: You’ve never been on a ‘Big City’ team per se, but based on the players that you know that have been on a team in bigger city; what’s the difference between Denver and those cities as far as how they treat football and their players?
- LB: Of course the bigger the market the bigger the stage. Denver takes pride in all of its sports and expects winning ways, but any NFL football team in small or big city is always watched.
• IH: As competition mounts between you and the other players at your position in camp; what’s something that someone told you as a rookie that stuck with you?
- LB: By coming into the league as a free agent, I was always told to take advantage of [any] opportunity and to always make things happen when you get into the game. Every preseason and regular season game is watched by other teams. Its like an audition; so ball out!!
• IH: Did you feel as if there was a conscientious effort in Denver to switch from the “Zone blocking scheme,” to this now so-called “Power blocking scheme”? What changes did it bring on as a running back?
- LB: We haven’t switched at all we actually do both. Should see a much improved ground game by us this year. I’m pumped.
• IH: What’s your favorite football memory?
- LB: Wow, there are so many great memories that I have. My first college game ever, Maryland played Navy and we ended up being down late in 4th quarter. We had to go for it on 4th down to keep our chance of winning [alive]. To make a long story short, I caught a pass and made like four guys miss to get the first down. It was sick. The next play we scored and won the game.
• IH: Hardest hit you’ve taken in football and who was it?
- LB: I usually don’t get hit hard like that, but as far as I can remember in college I took a nice shot from Buster Davis. I [definitely] felt some pain.
• IH: Proudest memory as a football player?
- LB: Becoming a Denver Bronco !!
Ball finds himself in a very thin running back depth chart in the second week of training camp, with a definite chance to feature his skills this weekend. Currently the Broncos have three running backs on their roster that are capable of playing Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. The other two being Toney Baker and Bruce Hall, newcomer Justin Fargas could possibly see very limited possessions as well.
The Broncos have a total of seven running backs on their roster and may carry four into the regular season and one or two on their practice squad.

http://broncotalk.net/2010/08/15298/denver-broncos/lance-ball-sits-with/#more-15298

Drek
08-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Why do you give a temp with a four game suspension to start the season a two year contract?

Lendale is a good insurance policy to have heading into the season. He gets to practice with the team all camp, gets live pre-season action behind the OL, and then come the regular season he doesn't cost us a roster spot until week 5. By then we'll know how Moreno and Buckhalter look, if Fargas is going to stay healthy, if Ball needs to be bumped up, etc..

It really gives the team a lot of options on how to work the HBs come final cuts. Say come final cuts we feel like the RB depth chart is as follows:
1. Moreno
2. Buckhalter
4. Ball/Baker
5. Fargas
6. Baker/Ball

We can then try to slide one or both of Ball/Baker through to the PS and start the year with Moreno, Buck, and Fargas. If a team tries to grab Ball/Baker off our PS we pull them back and drop Fargas. Meanwhile we have White stashed on the suspended list, so we can take a gamble on the injury risks associated with Moreno/Buck/Fargas knowing we'll have White in a couple weeks and probably at least one of Ball/Baker on the PS.

While RB looks like a very shallow position right now its very possible we might be feeling pretty flush with talent come week 3 or 4 with White's return on the horizon.

Steve Sewell
08-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Ryan Torain....er I mean Justin Fargas made his Broncos debut today wearing #42, he was wearing a brace on his knee and had a limp to him when just walking, but seemed to run around just fine.

Fargas broke his leg really badly when he was at SC. I know guys who have had compound leg fractures and walk with a limp but can run just fine. Its weird.

missingnumber7
08-11-2010, 05:03 PM
5. Linebacker Joe Mays has wasted little time working his way into action. Early last week, he was on the first units of multiple special-teams practices. By last Thursday, he was seeing the occasional first-team repetition at inside linebacker. By Wednesday, he was working regularly on the first unit, playing at the spot Akin Ayodele has handled in recent days.

When the Broncos traded for Mays, Josh McDaniels noted that the third-year linebacker possessed “upside.” This is a logical assessment, given Mays’s relative lack of experience (13 games and one start) and his transition from a Division I-AA program (North Dakota State).

“He’s a different style of inside linebacker than we have (in) some of our other guys here,” McDaniels said on Aug. 1.

This is info I've been looking for. Joe is a hard worker, was often told he was to small to play at the next level, he's 5'10". He was known as the Hitman at NDSU, and was the headliner on a defense that was very hardnosed and limiting including going 22-2 in his last two seasons when they weren't playoff eligible.

In seeing him come from the Iggles I was hoping he would be an instant plug on special teams. He filled well in Philly, he got quite a bit of defensive playing time last year mostly because of injuries. But I see him as a huge lift in our ST, a heavy hitter, and playmaker.

LongDongJohnson
08-11-2010, 05:27 PM
white will be our 3rd string rb.

Br0nc0Buster
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I bet White stays on the team the whole year, as pointed out it was a 2 year contract he was given, seems like they invested a little more in him than camp fodder

if he really is decidcated and in shape like he says, then he could turn out to be a valuable asset for us

I think Fargas is more the insurance policy for Buckhalter and to take reps while White is suspended

2KBack
08-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Fargas broke his leg really badly when he was at SC. I know guys who have had compound leg fractures and walk with a limp but can run just fine. Its weird.

I've had a hitch in my walk almost my entire life, no injury, I just limp a little. Never effected my ability in athletics a bit.

McDman
08-11-2010, 05:50 PM
I heard on ESPN radio this AM that whomever was speaking (can't remember his name) was saying the Broncos looked crisp and my be surprising a lot of people this year, man I hope so.

I believe it was Mort. I just can't decide if we're going ot be surprisingly good this year or miserably bad.

McDman
08-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I pray we get Clady and Kuper back by week one. It sounds like our interior line is getting constantly dominated.

KipCorrington25
08-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Huggy Bear walked with a limp, all pimps do. :afro:

MABroncoFan
08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/08/11/valley-vittles-notes-from-the-aug-11-morning-practice/#more-885

Positive notes on Nate Jones and Kirlew.

BroncoDoug
08-11-2010, 07:26 PM
couple of notes from the PM practice, I didn't pay as much attention as the morning one as they were just in shorts and shells... But Ayers is okay, he was back out there running with the ones, but was wearing a pretty hefty brace on his elbow....

Ray Finkle
08-11-2010, 07:51 PM
2010 Denver Broncos Training Camp-Kaptain's Log August 11th - AM Practice Report

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/profile_images/314020/mmgg_004_tiny.JPG by KaptainKirk (http://www.sbnation.com/users/KaptainKirk) on Aug 11, 2010 3:00 PM MDT (http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/11/1618130/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp) in 2010 Denver Broncos Training Camp (http://www.milehighreport.com/section/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp) http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v8c9bafb.png 18 comments
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/517959/67757_broncos_camp_football.jpg (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp-19) More photos » (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp-19) JACK DEMPSEY - AP
about 24 hours ago: Denver Broncos rookie linebackers Jammie Kirlew (53) from Indiana, Kevin Alexander (48) from Clemson and Devin Bishop (49) from California leave the practice field following NFL football training camp at Broncos headquarters in Englewood, Colo., Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2010. The rookies received new haircuts from veterans Saturday. (AP Photo/Jack Dempsey)

Browse more photos » (http://www.milehighreport.com/photos/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp-19)

I am sitting at the 42 yard line this morning. Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" is coming through the loud speaker and the kickers are already getting loose. I see it's going to be a full pads practice as the Tight Ends gather and Devin Bishop (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109529/Devin_Bishop) and Tim Tebow (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108608/Tim_Tebow) walk out on to the field. Ther JUGG's machine is set up at the 10 yard line to my left. I hear what sounds like an unfamiliar Brooks and Dunn song now as the rest of the team filters out of the locker room. I was handed a Broncos Colorado Lottery Scratcher at the entrance this morning and as I await the onset of practice, I scratch off a dud. HORN.

9 minutes go up on the segment clock and the Punt Return Unit sets up in front of me. They work on Fake Punt scenarios and how to handle them. We certainly don't need a repeat of the Redskins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/washington-redskins) game last year. Perrish Cox (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108693/Perrish_Cox) is taking the reps as returner and the Unit has Nate Jones, Darcel McBath (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71316/Darcel_McBath), Richard Quinn (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71320/Richard_Quinn), Spencer Larsen (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34974/Spencer_Larsen), Kyle McCarthy (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109536/Kyle_McCarthy), Matthew Willis (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16644/Matthew_Willis), David Bruton (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71315/David_Bruton), Jammie Kirlew (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108454/Jammie_Kirlew), Joe Mays (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34432/Joe_Mays) and Wesley Woodyard. It looks like Brandon Stokely, Brian Dawkins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1313/Brian_Dawkins), Jarvis Green (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1672/Jarvis_Green) and Champ Bailey (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2906/Champ_Bailey) have the morning off. Still out are Eric Decker (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108620/Eric_Decker) and DeMaryius Thomas. D.J. Williams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2969/D_J_Williams) has the "No Contact" jersey on and I spot the newest Bronco Justin Fargas (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3304/Justin_Fargas) wearing Kolby Smith's old number 42. HORN.

The Defense moves to the far field and the Offense gathers to my right at the 15 yard line for Red Zone passing drills vs. the Scouts. This is at walk through speed as they are installing more of the Offense. After five reps they switch directions and work on breaking out of the Red Zone area. I see 5 or 6 media still cameras set up along the end zone of the far field. They are right near where the Rookies got to play in the mud. HORN.

The clock resets to 14 minutes and it's time for the jogging and Hop, Skip and Jump routines. This is done to a Hip Hop song and whoever it is keeps saying the same thing 42 times. As if I didn't hear it the first time. Expand your vocabulary dude. The players spread out across the field to stretch and I see Chris Baker working next to Jeff Stehle (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109539/Jeff_Stehle) and Justin Bannan. With 2 minutes left, the players disperse toward their individual position drills. I see the ball boy sending bad snaps to the Quarterbacks as they warm up. HORN.

5 minutes on the clock. The Running Backs are running a high step agility drill through the strings (a grid of square openings made from bungee cords). Tebow sails a pass into the crowd during warmups with the ball boy. Kyle Orton moves the ball boy 30 yards down the field and all 3 QB's make solid throws. HORN.

Another 5 minute session. The RB's are drilling with the "Running Lane" mat and the QB's work pass routes with the Wide Receiver's. Patrick Carter (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34914/Patrick_Carter) drops a pass from Brady Quinn and they run it over again with success. Jabar Gaffney (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1667/Jabar_Gaffney) drops a Quinn pass and other than that, the drill goes well. Kyle discusses route adjustments with the Wide Receivers and Coach. HORN.

The clock is reset to 5 minutes and the QB's and WR's continue. The RB's hit the blocking sled and the Tight Ends drill with the Linebackers. It is toasty warm now and getting hotter by the minute. HORN.

Goal line 7 on 7's passing drills. On the opposite end of the field, the Offensive Line is moving the 7 man blocking sled. 5 guys are powering this sled 3 to 4 yards at a time. HORN.

Goal line 11 on 11's. Bruce Springsteen's "Badlands" simulates crowd noise as the Offense goes through running and passing drills. I don't have a very good vantage point for this drill and can't see much. HORN.

The clock resets to 8 minutes as the Units switch ends of the field. The Defense and Offense are jeering at one another and the "D" keeps it up throughout the next drills. They roar "HAWWW!" at the Offense and dare them to run through the line. Lance Ball (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/35095/Lance_Ball) gets strung out down the line for no gain and the Defense growls again. The LB's taking reps are Mario Haggan (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1872/Mario_Haggan), Wesley Woodyard (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34982/Wesley_Woodyard). Joe Mays and Robert Ayers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71313/Robert_Ayers). Jamal Williams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3038/Jamal_Williams) makes a tackle in the backfield and then another for no gain. Bruce Hall carries for a yard. Tebow runs a QB Draw and LeKevin Smith grabs him at the line. The Defense roars loudly at this. Lance Ball slashes for 5 yards on the next play. Coach Nunnelly repeats his often heard mantra, "Nobody runs on the Denver Broncos (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/denver-broncos)." Orton completes a pass to Brandon Lloyd (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1546/Brandon_Lloyd) and then Justin Fargas gets his first carry as a Bronco. He gains a couple of yards up the middle and a Defensive Lineman grabs his shirt tail preventing him from going further. He keeps his legs moving anyway and the rest of the team gets a laugh out of it. Toney Baker (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109527/Toney_Baker) has a nice run. HORN.

8 minutes on the clock and the Units switch ends. Darcel McBath is taking Brian Dawkins reps and Perrish Cox is filling in for Champ Bailey. Kyle Orton (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3114/Kyle_Orton) throws a TE screen to Richard Quinn. On the next play, Ryan McBean (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16791/Ryan_McBean) tips Orton's pass in the backfield, but it is complete to Brandon Lloyd anyway. Orton's next pass goes 70 yards, overthrowing Eddie Royal (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34978/Eddie_Royal) and the coverage. Eddie stopped running on the play, so it's hard to say if it would have been complete. Tebow completes a pass to Richard Quinn. Wesley Woodyard has a sack on Kyle Orton, who passes over the middle late to Gaffney. Andre' Goodman breaks up an Orton to Gaffney pass. The Defense is getting good penetration in this session. Kyle hits Nathan Overbay (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109537/Nathan_Overbay). Brady Quinn (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16698/Brady_Quinn) tries to get a pass to Britt Davis (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71851/Britt_Davis) but Alphonso Smith (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71322/Alphonso_Smith) denies him access and rides him out of bounds. Tebow misses a read and throws an incomplete intended for Gaffney. Brady Quinn hooks up with Lance Ball over the middle. HORN.

8 minutes on the clock and it's time for Punt Return drills again. This time Britton Colquitt (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/78003/Britton_Colquitt) gets to punt. Richard Quinn comes close to blocking a punt. Britton is booming 50 yard (from the line of scrimmage) punts with decent hang time. I can only count one one-thousand, to one-thousand as I don't possess a stop watch, but all the same, it seems like the hang time is okay. Eddie Royal comes in to take the last 2 reps at returner. HORN.

The clock is set for 8 minutes and it is time for 11 on 11's. McDaniels is tired of the Defense dominating and wants the Offense to do something about it. On the first play, Kyle Orton makes a bad throw to no one. Lance Ball carries the ball for 5 yards up the middle. Robert Ayers and Joe Mays meet Orton for a sack and Kyle passes to Matthew Willis anyway. The 2nd Teams rotate in and Bruce Hall (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34860/Bruce_Hall) picks up a few yards. Tebow throws a reverse Tight End screen that wobbles its way to Daniel Graham (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1671/Daniel_Graham). A WR screen to Eddie Royal is sniffed out by Nate Jones, but Eddie makes him miss the tackle. Akin Ayodele (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3385/Akin_Ayodele) is in the backfield pressuring Orton and Nate Jones intercepts the ball. HORN.

The segment clock resets to 5 minutes and the Defense goes over to the other field. The QB's, RB's, TE's and WR's stay together to work while the O-Line works with Coach Barone. HORN.

9 minutes on the segment clock. 7 on 7's Red Zone drills at the 20 yard line. Richard Quinn "stone hands" (drops) a pass from Orton. Andre' Goodman bats down the next pass intended for Matthew Willis. Orton to Bruce Hall for a short gain. The ball is spotted at the 10 yard line now. Tim Tebow throws a pass into Alric Arnett's back. Kyle Orton hooks up with Willis for a touchdown. Orton throws a fade to Brandon Lloyd for a touchdown. Orton throws to Eddie Royal for a touchdown. Brady Quinn connects with Daniel Graham (nice catch) for a touchdown. The ball is spotted at the 5 yard line. Tebow holds the ball and the receivers are covered so he throws a ball away that is nearly picked off. His next attempt is held way too long. He ends up throwing out of bounds towards a double covered receiver. Orton holds the ball too long and ends up completing a pass to Willis. Then Kyle tries to hit Royal in the back of the end zone but it is incomplete. HORN.

9 minutes on the clock. The ball is at the 20. 1st Nickel package 11 on 11's. Kyle Orton's pass intended for Lloyd is broken up by Andre' Goodman. Orton comes back to Lloyd at the 5 yard line. An inside hand off to Lance Ball is good for 5 yards. Brady Quinn passes to Alric Arnett, but it is broken up by Perrish Cox. Brice Hall takes an inside hand off 4 yards. Kyle hooks up with Brandon Lloyd past Tony Carter (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/78002/Tony_Carter) for a touchdown. The line of scrimmage is moved to the 10 yard line. Orton holds the ball and can't find anyone open. Three of his receivers just stopped running completely. The next play starts with a bad shotgun snap, Orton throws a quick sideline pass intended for Britt Davis, but totally misses him. Brady Quinn has to throw away a pass. Tim Tebow runs around the right side for no gain. He doesn't fare any better than the other two QB's in this session. Orton passes to Willis who shows good concentration as the ball bobbles. He is able to hold on, but he can't get into the end zone and is stopped at the 1 yard line. Orton passes incomplete to Matthew Willis. HORN.

5 more minutes on the clock. 1st Offense vs. the 1st "Base" Defense. Perrish Cox, Justin Bannan, Robert Ayers, Jamal Williams, Mario Haggan, Ryan McBean, Joe Mays, Andre' Goodman, Renaldo Hill (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2510/Renaldo_Hill) and Darcel McBath. Perrish Cox intercepts a Kyle Orton pass intended for Brandon Lloyd. HORN.

The Defense goes to the far field to cool down and Josh McDaniels (who is ticked off) makes the entire Offense run sideline sprints, up and back 5 times. Then the Offense huddles at midfield as the Defense heads to the locker room.

Autographs today are being signed by Britton Colquitt, Matt Prater (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/18973/Matt_Prater), Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Richard Quinn, Riar Geer, Nathan Overbay and Tim Tebow. I manage to obtain a Tebow signature on a ball cap and then Richard Quinn on another. By the Way, the Tebow cap is spoken for. A young nephew of mine is going to be the recipient and he is going to be on top of the world about it. I must get ready for the PM practice now.

Go Broncos!

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/11/1618130/2010-denver-broncos-training-camp#storyjump

I am sorry because I do appreciate him taking the time to write this but this is the hardest most annoying recap to read.....I don't need to know the horn, I just want details.

2KBack
08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
I am sorry because I do appreciate him taking the time to write this but this is the hardest most annoying recap to read.....I don't need to know the horn, I just want details.

I don't like that guys recaps. It's all fluff and exposition, with no detail or analysis.

Broncoman13
08-11-2010, 11:01 PM

I'm not a big fan of MHR, but his reports have been consistent and have improved over the last couple years. The horn thing doesn't bother me at all. If you've ever been to camp you would understand a little better. Kind of helps me to connect with what is going on in practice. I can see where it would be annoying to some, but his reports are the best thing going right now and his interviews were surprisingly good.