PDA

View Full Version : Xanders feels Broncos' pain

BMarsh615
08-09-2010, 01:16 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15714183?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

There is an inspirational path for all those battered and bruised bodies at Dove Valley.

It travels from the hot tub in the trainer's room to a top executive's office upstairs.

Brian Xanders isn't just the Broncos' general manager. He's a front-office Willis Reed, an example to all those injured players which is growing into a who's who list of Broncos on how to play hurt.

On July 13, Xanders underwent a triple-fusion surgery on his neck. Two degenerative discs were removed, bone marrow was extracted from his pelvic bone and then sprayed on two plastic discs, which were inserted back into the spine. Then came the hardware: a 4-inch steel plate, secured with eight screws, attached to the spine so it could keep four consecutive vertebrae in their proper slots.

"I felt great right after," Xanders said.

A week later, Xanders was back in his office, a zipper- scar souvenir on the front of his neck. Within 11 days after his return, Xanders had finalized a five-year, $58.3 million extension for veteran pass rusher Elvis Dumervil and negotiated multiyear contracts with five rookies Demaryius Thomas, Tim Tebow, Zane Beadles, Eric Decker and Eric Olsen for another $32 million combined.

Let's see Dumervil and Ryan Clady match that kind of production upon their return from surgery.

"The way Brian worked and what he did shortly after he had a major surgery like that, I mean, I know we're not out there in helmets and pads, but that showed a lot of toughness in its own right," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

Besides toughness, Xanders showed some front-office ingenuity in getting $89 million worth of contract extensions negotiated with Dumervil and starting guard Chris Kuper.

Entering those negotiations, Xanders was handicapped and we don't mean his neck. The Broncos had been the NFL's most aggressive team in free agency the past two years (Brian Dawkins, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, Jabar Gaffney, Correll Buckhalter, Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan), leaving no more cash in the 2010 drawer.

"It's not how much money you spend, it's how you spend it," Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis said. "There are plenty of examples of organizations that follow this principle and have great success. I give Brian and Josh great credit for being as active as any team in free agency the last two years, while at the same time being both smart and prudent as they look toward the future."

Complicating the negotiations with Dumervil and Kuper was the work stoppage that seems closer to at least delaying the "offseason" segment of the 2011 season.

Yet, Xanders was able to get Kuper ($28.021 million extension) and Dumervil secured through 2015 without delivering $1 more in upfront money.

"It was a way to say to the player, 'We would love to get an extension for you, but we've just got to get through 2010,' " Xanders said. " 'Your deal is in place. You'll have injury guarantees in future years. And then once the league year starts in 2011 hopefully it's early March then we exercise our skill guarantees.' Like most teams, we were working under budget constraints while trying to improve our roster. It's always a challenge."

It helped that Dumervil and Kuper weren't greedy. Most players don't accept such contract extensions without getting some money the minute they sign. But a deal with no upfront money in
return for a guarantee against injury was a compromise both players were willing to accept.

"I think it's the times that we're in, the looming lockout," Kuper said. "There's the Broncos' side too. They didn't have to do anything for us at all."

Accepting the no-money- down, pay-me-later compromise was the smartest decision Dumervil ever made, given the torn pectoral muscle he suffered last week. Dumervil will have surgery that will sideline him until at least mid-November.

Kuper was reminded of the wisdom of taking a deal with an injury guarantee Friday, when he suffered an ankle injury.

As for questioning the wisdom of the Broncos' enormous financial investment in the now-injured Dumervil and Kuper, remember those backloaded deals mean the team is paying them a relatively inexpensive $5.68 million combined this year.

"Both those players were the type of players we want as Broncos," Xanders said. "They're tough and competitive. Great teammates. It was clear they both wanted to be Denver Broncos for a long time."

It hurts that Dumervil received such a devastating injury before his new contract paid out its first dollar. But the Broncos, like every other NFL team, have insurance policies that financially protect them when there are injuries to high-priced players.

In so many ways, Xanders has exemplified that injuries can be overcome.

"He was here at 11 o'clock last night, and I could tell he was in pain," McDaniels said. "But he's not saying it. We all have things that can set us back, and he didn't let that surgery do that for him."

worm
08-09-2010, 07:41 AM
This is possibly the worst article I have ever read. I really, really hope that the Broncos aren't holding Xanders up as an example on how to overcome injuries while speaking to the players.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-09-2010, 07:49 AM
This is possibly the worst article I have ever read. I really, really hope that the Broncos aren't holding Xanders up as an example on how to overcome injuries while speaking to the players.

http://www.the-icebox.com/CaptainHyperbole!.jpg

worm
08-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Sorry to rain on your inspirational article of the day.

http://richhillenjr.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/415_stuart_smalley.jpg

Come on Doom! Get back in there like our GM did!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Sorry to rain on your inspirational article of the day.

Come on Doom! Get back in there like our GM did!

I'm sorry you can't take a joke.

Really? The worst article you've ever read? And you don't think that's even slightly hyperbolic?

It wasn't even on Bleacher Report! Or written by Josina!

outdoor_miner
08-09-2010, 08:00 AM
[url]It hurts that Dumervil received such a devastating injury before his new contract paid out its first dollar. But the Broncos, like every other NFL team, have insurance policies that financially protect them when there are injuries to high-priced players.

I had no idea that teams could do this... Interesting.

lostknight
08-09-2010, 08:11 AM
It hurts that Dumervil received such a devastating injury before his new contract paid out its first dollar. But the Broncos, like every other NFL team, have insurance policies that financially protect them when there are injuries to high-priced players.
"

It's good, but it also gets rid of the one part of the bargain that was pretty sweet for the Broncos - lots of production for not a insane cost.

montrose
08-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Xanders rules SoCal!

24champ
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I heard Xanders suffered those injuries from falling down the stairs while getting pizza for McDaniels and Joe Ellis. Also had to go pick up a bottle of Jack for Pat.

Tough Gig.

Kaylore
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I heard Xanders suffered those injuries from falling down the stairs while getting pizza for McDaniels and Joe Ellis. Also had to go pick up a bottle of Jack for Pat.

Tough Gig.

No, he was masturbating the Unicorn. Socal an I know the deal. Unicorn jiz heals wounds and they're fresh out.

broncocalijohn
08-09-2010, 05:13 PM
As long as the Greek didnt do the surgery or Rick T doesnt do the recovery workout process, Zanders should be A OK. Signed, Lostknight and Mighty Smurf

SoCalBronco
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Xanders rules SoCal!

I knew this post was coming the moment I read the article last night.

ROFL!

Seriously....an inspirational Xanders piece? How is this even possible? They couldn't recycle the old Tuten sled article, instead?

SoCalBronco
08-09-2010, 06:55 PM
No, he was masturbating the Unicorn. Socal an I know the deal. Unicorn jiz heals wounds and they're fresh out.

Ahh...Xanders being forced to jack the unicorn off. A timeless classic. BTW...I was proven right on that. They DID force him to do the deed. How do you think Moreno went from being out for the season to being back in three weeks?

ROFL!

montrose
08-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Seriously....an inspirational Xanders piece? How is this even possible?

http://media.scout.com/media/image/70/705516.jpg > http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/rocky460.jpg

uplink
08-09-2010, 07:14 PM
I knew this post was coming the moment I read the article last night.

ROFL!

Seriously....an inspirational Xanders piece? How is this even possible? They couldn't recycle the old Tuten sled article, instead?

speaking of the old inspirational articles, when Shanny took over he had a bet with Bowlen: something like Shanny had to run a 4 min mile and Bowlen had to bench press a certain amount of weight so many times. Never heard what happend in the end, anyone know?

24champ
08-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Makes sense...Xanders was jerking off the unicorn because McD and Ellis wanted a side of Unicorn jizz for their pizza.

watermock
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM

I think I saw Stewart hitching a cab with Louis Anderson on Cash Cab to Circus Circus.

Naw, that was Carrot Top.

TheReverend
08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I still can't decide who I dislike more. Xanders or Ellis?

Dr. Broncenstein
08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
speaking of the old inspirational articles, when Shanny took over he had a bet with Bowlen: something like Shanny had to run a 4 min mile and Bowlen had to bench press a certain amount of weight so many times. Never heard what happend in the end, anyone know?

If I recall correctly, Shanny bet that Bowlen couldn't bench 100lbs. Shanny was summarily fired. Guess who won the bet.

watermock
08-09-2010, 08:17 PM
This is classic:

Besides toughness, Xanders showed some front-office ingenuity in getting $89 million worth of contract extensions negotiated with Dumervil and starting guard Chris Kuper.

Other than giving the top paid of all time to a situational pass rusher weak against the run and Kuper an extension (only 2 of the 06 draft class remaining). IMO, He's one of the weaker GM's in the NFL, something Bowlen swore against when he fired Shanny.

Adnidt it, Denver has used 2/3's of it's bounty of trades for offensive questionmarks, and alot on FA Defense.

It's sad to see many players dropping like flies, but that's what you get for drafting poorly/reaches like Quinn and Smith and Decker.

It's shame that McDaniels will be remembered for injurys and the 4 monkey carnival, injuries and the humiliation of Tebow into a monk.

Denver had 3 high choices after trading down. The assumption that Baltimore was going to take him is as absurd as when we took Moreno.

With an incredibly easy schedule with Warner and Bouldin gone, I still say 9-7 should be so easy, even a caveman can do it,

watermock
08-09-2010, 08:21 PM
If I recall correctly, Shanny bet that Bowlen couldn't bench 100lbs. Shanny was summarily fired. Guess who won the bet.

What a lie.

So coaches are fired on drinking bets?

Youir a liar or a bad comedian, or Bowlen is a bad loser.

montrose
08-09-2010, 08:24 PM
I still can't decide who I dislike more. Xanders or Ellis?

Why do you dislike them?

azbroncfan
08-09-2010, 08:27 PM
This is classic:

With an incredibly easy schedule with Warner and Bouldin gone, I still say 9-7 should be so easy, even a caveman can do it,

Is that what they call a peanut butter answer? Where did the cardinals enter this conversation?

Dr. Broncenstein
08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
What a lie.

So coaches are fired on drinking bets?

Youir a liar or a bad comedian, or Bowlen is a bad loser.

Holy shiat, Mock. Put your oxygen back on and take a few breaths.

Lev Vyvanse
08-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Why do you dislike them?

Spineless bastard?

gyldenlove
08-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Why do you dislike them?

Briefcase toting suit monkeys?

watermock
08-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Is that what they call a peanut butter answer? Where did the cardinals enter this conversation?

Because we play them without Warner and Bouldin.

watermock
08-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Holy shiat, Mock. Put your oxygen back on and take a few breaths.

Why not take some CO1 and do the world a favor?

azbroncfan
08-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Because we play them without Warner and Bouldin.

That was random as can be. So since Denver plays AZ without those two they go 9-7? You have some off the wall logic since AZ will still be pretty solid team.

watermock
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Because they play the AFC West and their own division, idiot.

watermock
08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
SF will win the division.

azbroncfan
08-09-2010, 09:15 PM
OK your talking about the bronco's then throw a random Arizona Cardinal reference. Put down the booze mock it's killing your brain. Sorry hard to understand your logic.

Other than giving the top paid of all time to a situational pass rusher weak against the run and Kuper an extension (only 2 of the 06 draft class remaining). IMO, He's one of the weaker GM's in the NFL, something Bowlen swore against when he fired Shanny.

Adnidt it, Denver has used 2/3's of it's bounty of trades for offensive questionmarks, and alot on FA Defense.

It's sad to see many players dropping like flies, but that's what you get for drafting poorly/reaches like Quinn and Smith and Decker.

It's shame that McDaniels will be remembered for injurys and the 4 monkey carnival, injuries and the humiliation of Tebow into a monk.

Denver had 3 high choices after trading down. The assumption that Baltimore was going to take him is as absurd as when we took Moreno.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Why not take some CO1 and do the world a favor?

Zombie Mock is all business. Don't f--k with the Zombie Mock.

SouthStndJunkie
08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
On July 13, Xanders underwent a triple-fusion surgery on his neck. Two degenerative discs were removed, bone marrow was extracted from his pelvic bone and then sprayed on two plastic discs, which were inserted back into the spine. Then came the hardware: a 4-inch steel plate, secured with eight screws, attached to the spine so it could keep four consecutive vertebrae in their proper slots.

These contract negotiations brought to you by oxycodone.

watermock
08-09-2010, 09:46 PM
OK your talking about the bronco's then throw a random Arizona Cardinal reference. Put down the booze mock it's killing your brain. Sorry hard to understand your logic.

It's not random.

No.

Your an idiot. AZ will be weaker.

watermock
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM

These contract negotiations brought to you by oxycodone.

What bullsd****.

The idiocy of the coach knows no bounds.

It's amazing.

Dagmar
08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
It's not random.

No.

Your an idiot. AZ will be weaker.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/21/122232636669.jpg

If you are going to call someone a ****ing idiot, don't use incorrect grammar.

bronco militia
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
thanks to Mr. X, we've got a roster full of injury prone pansies.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/21/122232636669.jpg

If you are going to call someone a ****ing idiot, don't use incorrect grammar.

Your eh grammer nautsie. Sublet an hypothesis.

theAPAOps5
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM

http://www.stephencjensen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/brick-loud-noises-b.jpg

Dagmar
08-09-2010, 10:17 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/gibson118/threadless-tee-unicorns.jpg

watermock
08-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Subllet?

How amuing and arrorant.

I'm always amused how Doctors can sriibble inchorerent scribe on life threateninging scripts.

Perhaps they think they are bigger than the patients?

Or do you think your sig is special it's unique?

Arrogand bastard.

Tell me.
You tell me when a life is on the line why your sig is unreadable.

watermock
08-09-2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.stephencjensen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/brick-loud-noises-b.jpg

wow

Dagmar
08-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Subllet?

How amuing and arrorant.

I'm always amused how Doctors can sriibble inchorerent scribe on life threateninging scripts.

Arrogand bastard.

Tell me.

Holy crap you HAVE gotten worse since I was away! Hilarious!

watermock
08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Holy crap you HAVE gotten worse since I was away! Hilarious!

Wow.

You're an idiot.

Natedogg
08-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Subllet?

How amuing and arrorant.

Arrogand bastard.

Tell me.

https://ssl101.webhosting.optonline.net/peachsamericanfoods.com/merchantmanager/images/uploads/jif.jpg

Steve Sewell
08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
as long as the greek didnt do the surgery or rick t doesnt do the recovery workout process, zanders should be a ok. Signed, lostknight and mighty smurf

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

Steve Sewell
08-09-2010, 11:13 PM

I was going to ask the same thing. It's mock though, what do you expect? Coherent thoughts?

Dagmar
08-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Wow.

You're an idiot.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2z6fqx5.gif

watermock
08-09-2010, 11:33 PM
AZ enters the question of the '09 record dumbass.

We play 11 losing teams .and AZ.

watermock
08-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I was going to ask the same thing. It's mock though, what do you expect? Coherent thoughts?

So what do you expect?

I said 10-6, now I think 6-10.

This is a sucky QB and bad RB and bad WR team.

And bad O.

Watch.

24champ
08-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Why do you dislike them?

Brian Xanders...
http://www.crystalinks.com/pinocchio.jpg

Joe Ellis...
http://biseor.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/monkey-in-suit.jpg

watermock
08-09-2010, 11:58 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/2z6fqx5.gif

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2NO8lnC7u3w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2NO8lnC7u3w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BlaK-Argentina
08-10-2010, 12:03 AM
So what do you expect?

I said 10-6, now I think 6-10.

This is a sucky QB and bad RB and bad WR team.

And bad O.

Watch.

Mock are you even cheering for the Broncos anymore?

TheReverend
08-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Why do you dislike them?

Xanders because his incompetence boned us on the 2009 draft.

April 2009: McD goes out of his way to credit the entire draft preparation on Xanders

March 2010: McD calls the Broncos 2009 draft unprepared and explains that they'll do things a little differently this year.

And the results show. The 2010 draft performance was WORLD above that nationally televised abortion that was the 2009 Broncos draft.

As for Ellis... nothing so cut and dry like public quotes, but he seems shady. He was entirely TOO involved in the coaching interview process for a guy with background... or lack thereof. I'm absolutely concerned that he might have entirely too much unwarranted influence over Bowlen.

montrose
08-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Xanders because his incompetence boned us on the 2009 draft.

April 2009: McD goes out of his way to credit the entire draft preparation on Xanders

March 2010: McD calls the Broncos 2009 draft unprepared and explains that they'll do things a little differently this year.

And the results show. The 2010 draft performance was WORLD above that nationally televised abortion that was the 2009 Broncos draft.

As for Ellis... nothing so cut and dry like public quotes, but he seems shady. He was entirely TOO involved in the coaching interview process for a guy with background... or lack thereof. I'm absolutely concerned that he might have entirely too much unwarranted influence over Bowlen.

Ellis' power is a bit concerning, and while I've heard nice things about the guy - he doesn't have any background in football that I'm aware of.

As for Xanders, I do have to give him credit for getting all the rookies in camp on time during a year that many held out, as well as getting Kuper and Doom to agree to extentions on the clubs terms. With that, I find it interesting that over a year on the job and we're still not really sure what he role completely entails.

Lets not give up on the 2009 draft yet. If I remember correctly Mayock had Moreno, Ayers and Smith all near the top of their position groups as projected 1st rounders and both McBath and Bruton showed positive signs in limited roles last year. Think happy thoughts! :afro:

uplink
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
There were articles about this during Shanny's first few years with the broncos. I never found out if Shanny ran the distance in the required time and if Bowlen bench pressed the amount he was supposed to. It would have been a great question during Bowlen's press conference to fire Shanny.

TheReverend
08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Ellis' power is a bit concerning, and while I've heard nice things about the guy - he doesn't have any background in football that I'm aware of.

As for Xanders, I do have to give him credit for getting all the rookies in camp on time during a year that many held out, as well as getting Kuper and Doom to agree to extentions on the clubs terms. With that, I find it interesting that over a year on the job and we're still not really sure what he role completely entails.

Lets not give up on the 2009 draft yet. If I remember correctly Mayock had Moreno, Ayers and Smith all near the top of their position groups as projected 1st rounders and both McBath and Bruton showed positive signs in limited roles last year. Think happy thoughts! :afro:

Well I love his work with contracts, but the rest seems to be dreadful.

And I have no issues with Ayers, Knowshon or McBath. The rest were reasonably dreadful selections in comparison with some of the availability, imo.