PDA

View Full Version : Elvis will have surgery Tuesday

montrose
08-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Per Jeff Legwold of 87.7 The Ticket and the Denver Post.

Doggcow
08-08-2010, 04:24 PM
*cry*

bpc
08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Hope he heals quickly and is ready for 2011, unless there is a lockout. That sucks to think about.

BlaK-Argentina
08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
The sooner, the better. Get well soon Elvis!

TheReverend
08-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Hope the doctor does a really solid job and clean work.

ZachKC
08-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Hope all goes well. Bronco or not he seems like a real quality person and the league isn't as good with folks like that on sideline.

gyldenlove
08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Hope the doctor does a really solid job and clean work.

I am fairly certain he is aware of the potential repercussions of failure, Elvis does not tolerate failure.

Cito Pelon
08-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Pec tear is a bad injury, but not career-ending, some other guys are gonna have to step up.

enjolras
08-08-2010, 05:04 PM
He'll be back for the superbowl... that's all that matters.

tsiguy96
08-08-2010, 05:10 PM
im still not sold he goes to IR....

oubronco
08-08-2010, 05:39 PM
He's done for the year

FireFly
08-08-2010, 06:39 PM
im still not sold he goes to IR....

PUP to start with, IR by the end of the season. Just my opinion though.

tsiguy96
08-08-2010, 06:40 PM

definitely the most likely scenario, but i guess the dream stays alive til week 6

montrose
08-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Elvis cannot be on the PuP list as he's already practiced during training camp. He either goes to IR, or takes up a roster spot all season.

broncosteven
08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Elvis cannot be on the PuP list as he's already practiced during training camp. He either goes to IR, or takes up a roster spot all season.

With all the other injuries and carrying 3 QB's I can't see that.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-08-2010, 07:25 PM
The mean duration for return to sports following surgical repair of a pectoral tear in athletes is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 months.

MABroncoFan
08-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Maybe it won't happen until final cuts are made, but I'd be shocked if Elvis isn't placed on IR before the regular season starts.

OBF1
08-08-2010, 08:36 PM
The mean duration for return to sports following surgical repair of a pectoral tear in athletes is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 months.

IR for sure.... why even fu ck with it???

HEAV
08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Broncos outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil will have surgery Tuesday to repair a chest injury that will keep him out for most, or likely all, of the season if doctors find the damage that is expected.

Broncos head team physician Ted Schlegel is scheduled to perform the surgery. Dumervil visited Dr. Michael Dillingham in San Francisco - he heads the medical team for both the San Francisco 49ers and San Francisco Giants - Friday to get a second opinion on the surgical diagnosis that was made by the Broncos' doctors.

Dumervil then returned to Denver and the surgery was scheduled.

The damage to the pectoral muscle will be examined in the surgery - it can be difficult to assess all of the damage in that muscle because of the size and thickness of the tissue even in an MRI - and the pectoral tendon will be re-attached.

Dumervil suffered the injury in Wednesday night's practice during a 1-on-1 drill. As he engaged tackle Tyler Polumbus, Dumervil extended his right arm and then quickly pulled it down as he grimaced in pain.

He walked off the field gripping the neck of his shoulder pads with this right hand as he kept his right elbow pinned to his body. Tests later confirmed he had damaged the pectoral muscle and pectoral tendon.

Normally the recovery time is four to five months for such an injury before a player is ready to return to the field, though Broncos officials were not going to rule out a return date for Dumervil until doctors did the surgery.

Dumervil, who was the NFL's sack leader with 17 this past season, signed a five-year $58.33 million extension before the start of training camp, most of which is guaranteed against injury.

---------------------

Tyler F'n Polumbus....the new Greise!

cutthemdown
08-09-2010, 02:11 AM
I know a phys asst and I said same thing. Maybe he can make it back this yr. According to him pec surgery just a really long hard rehab. He mumbled something about the muscles fiber makeup, it's location and some jibberish about how it moves in a lot of directions when it flexes...but I couldn't really hear him I was too busy crying.

One of the only players on the team who makes qbs scared.

OBF1
08-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Moss will have a break-out season with Elvis out... Mark it down

bronco militia
08-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Moss will have a break-out season with Elvis out... Mark it down

you might be right...he already broke his hand

:vermeil::vermeil::vermeil:

Ray Finkle
08-09-2010, 07:14 AM

what takes the most time, the healing or the range of motion?

Dr. Broncenstein
08-09-2010, 07:23 AM
what takes the most time, the healing or the range of motion?

It's outside of my specialty. Here is a pretty decent online resource.

http://eorif.com/Shoulderarm/Pectoralis%20Rupture.html

Pec Rupture Follow-up Care

Post-op: Shoulder immobilizer for 4-6 weeks. Elbow/wrist/hand ROM exercises.
7-10 Days: Start pendulum ROM exercises.
6 weeks: gentle passive ROM gradually advanced to full ROM and gentle periscapular strengthening started.
3 months: ROM should be nearly full and Pectoralis major muscle strengthening is begun.
6 months: push-ups and dumbbell bench presses with light weight and high repetition are started.
9 to 12 months: return to full-activities. High-weight, low repetition barbell bench pressing is discouraged indefinitely.

broncswin
08-09-2010, 07:24 AM
no rush for this guy...time to grow up moss...time to become a break out player ayers...time for this massive front line to plug and pressure.

Good luck Doom, classy and hard working...only the best for guys like him

Rabb
08-09-2010, 07:33 AM
no rush for this guy...time to grow up moss...time to become a break out player ayers...time for this massive front line to plug and pressure.

Good luck Doom, classy and hard working...only the best for guys like him

absolutely agree

the worst thing we could do is rush him and ruin his career which I am guessing from the coin invested, won't happen

the other guys have to grow as players, and this is a good opportunity for that

Mr.Meanie
08-09-2010, 08:01 AM
9 to 12 months: return to full-activities. High-weight, low repetition barbell bench pressing is discouraged indefinitely. [/I]

Indefinitely, as in never again? Jesus

Drek
08-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Indefinitely, as in never again? Jesus

Well that is what primarily causes pectoral tears, so there is always chance for a repeat injury.

Most doctors probably don't recommend someone who blows a knee out returning to a football field where guys want to drive helmets into knees, but NFL players still do it.

I'm sure Doom will be able to meet conditioning needs even removing a few particular high risk exercises from his routine.

Pony Boy
08-09-2010, 09:05 AM
What he says in the first 20 seconds is scary.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UdCj98SgslA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UdCj98SgslA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Broncobiv
08-09-2010, 05:45 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ub2McBBxqCw/TAdBQoBCVPI/AAAAAAAAAHo/U8aCtv2Z4P4/s1600/RageGuy.jpg

Popps
08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Ugh.

Los Broncos
08-09-2010, 11:01 PM
That video isn't very encourging, hopefully he can recover well to play again.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Garcia Bronco
08-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Good luck Elvis.

Chris
08-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Strahan tore a pec in 2004 and came back fine. This is the NFL guys. Rest up Doom we'll be needing you next year.

Play2win
08-10-2010, 08:34 AM
On a side note, did anybody else while watching the John Randle HOF piece, get reminded of DOOM just a little bit... or see a posible future DOOM might have? It would be great if DOOM could knock together a career like that!!

Rabb
08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
On a side note, did anybody else while watching the John Randle HOF piece, get reminded of DOOM just a little bit... or see a posible future DOOM might have? It would be great if DOOM could knock together a career like that!!

if Doom upped his on-field leadership even to half of what Randle had...just wow, could be epic

and that is not saying Doom is not a leader, so please everyone, torches down

jussayin, Randle was inspiring

Garcia Bronco
08-10-2010, 08:48 AM

John Randle could play every position on the line. Doom...well....they had to move him to linebacker. :)

BigPlayShay
08-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Strahan tore a pec in 2004 and came back fine. This is the NFL guys. Rest up Doom we'll be needing you next year.

So Did Bertrand Berry in 2005. Bruce Gradkowski did it this offseason and is in camp with the Raiders.

Play2win
08-10-2010, 08:58 AM
if Doom upped his on-field leadership even to half of what Randle had...just wow, could be epic

and that is not saying Doom is not a leader, so please everyone, torches down

jussayin, Randle was inspiring

Right. I was just thinking about the similarities/possibilities once DOOM actually gets a chance to really learn his position. I guess we will have to wait a little longer to see, though... :(

TheReverend
08-10-2010, 09:02 AM
So Did Bertrand Berry in 2005. Bruce Gradkowski did it this offseason and is in camp with the Raiders.

The non-throwing pec muscle isnt nearly as active for a QB as a LB/DL, and you can see a steep drop in production from Bertrand's injury to the remainder of his career.

Let's hope he's more along the lines of Strahan, who had a good bounce back year in 2005.