PDA

View Full Version : Robert Ayers

~Crash~
08-08-2010, 10:50 AM
LB ROBERT AYERS: Even before Elvis Dumervil tore a pectoral muscle, Ayers was the strongest at his position from a physical standpoint, dominating in one-on-one drills. The last three days, he’s begun trying to assume Dumervil’s role as primary pass rusher, consistently bursting into the backfield during Friday’s practices. Saturday, he shone against the run in goal-line work, breaking down carries on two of the three snaps he played.

“He dominated our goal line period,” McDaniels said. “He’s a totally different player and we’re proud of him because we told him at the beginning of the off season that it’s time for him to take a step from being a rookie to being the type of player we thought he could be.

“He’s doing the physical things that we thought he could do and really dominating the edge and he’s working against one of the best tight ends in football in terms of blocking on the edge (Daniel Graham).

“He showed up a lot tonight.”

http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/08/07/valley-vittles-notes-from-the-aug-7-practice/#more-850

Go on record I have seen a lot on the mane talk crap about this draft pick ...here is you last chance to talk crap about Ayers .. He is about to make plenty of you eat Crow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sunshine:

tsiguy96
08-08-2010, 10:54 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPggFaR3iw6N7vRq-U6XIUUpSYnmdg0zrOgr1_5zcUPp8M8lw&t=1&usg=__79xuCeT8XfU8bk1dkRKAfwHSDbE=

mwill07
08-08-2010, 10:58 AM
>:'( you better be knocking on every piece of wood you can find.

SoCalBronco
08-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Good to see him getting better. I remember Mayock said he was really raw but that he might be the best defender from that draft in about three years.

diehardbroncosfan
08-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I saw nothing last year to indicate he was going to be a bust. If it had not been for Doom, Ayers would have had about four sacks last year as he always just a second behind Doom and he was pretty good the majority of the time sealing the edge against running plays (better than Doom actually). Given another year in the system, what supposedly has been a great offseason training regimen, and a chance to start, I think Ayers should be pretty good this year.

Broncoman13
08-08-2010, 11:24 AM
LB ROBERT AYERS: Even before Elvis Dumervil tore a pectoral muscle, Ayers was the strongest at his position from a physical standpoint, dominating in one-on-one drills. The last three days, he’s begun trying to assume Dumervil’s role as primary pass rusher, consistently bursting into the backfield during Friday’s practices. Saturday, he shone against the run in goal-line work, breaking down carries on two of the three snaps he played.

“He dominated our goal line period,” McDaniels said. “He’s a totally different player and we’re proud of him because we told him at the beginning of the off season that it’s time for him to take a step from being a rookie to being the type of player we thought he could be.

“He’s doing the physical things that we thought he could do and really dominating the edge and he’s working against one of the best tight ends in football in terms of blocking on the edge (Daniel Graham).

http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/08/07/valley-vittles-notes-from-the-aug-7-practice/#more-850

Go on record I have seen a lot on the mane talk crap about this draft pick ...here is you last chance to talk crap about Ayers .. He is about to make plenty of you eat Crow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sunshine:

Gawd I hope so. I'll be in for a full serving of crow b/c I didn't like the pick last year and would have much preferred we went Orakpo and then Beanie Wells at Ayers spot. But with him turning it on in year two, I'll be a happy man... and I do like Knowshon a lot though the injuries are starting to become a little concerning. Could be a Cadillac Williams type of guy. Great when healthy, but rarely healthy. Wish Alphonso Smith was showing the same type of adjustment.

What about McBath? Haven't heard much about him thus far in the preseason. Have heard that Quinn is looking much better which was music to my ears. I thought he looked like a bust from the beginning... but if he's starting to show signs of his potential making it on to the field then I'll be happy.

Lots of good things on Cox which is promising... I wonder if Alphonso Smith really is on the bubble?

BowlenBall
08-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Huh? I don't recall anybody disliking the Ayers pick on draft day 2009. Just the opposite, most of us were excited because of Mayock's statement that he might be the best defensive player is the draft. If so, then could you throw us a link to the relevant threads?

Perhaps you're getting him mixed up with Jarvis "Kate" Moss....

Anyway, it is good news that the lightbulb seems to be comin on for Ayers -- more than anything, I'd like us to be able to set the edge and keep people from running on us.

Mogulseeker
08-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Ayers was my favorite pick from the 2009 draft, and I'm excited to hear this. I think he has the tools to be an outstanding player.

Cito Pelon
08-08-2010, 11:29 AM
If I have to eat crow about Ayers that's fine with me. I don't even spit out the feathers anymore the number of times I've had to eat crow in my life.

Broncoman13
08-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I saw nothing last year to indicate he was going to be a bust. If it had not been for Doom, Ayers would have had about four sacks last year as he always just a second behind Doom and he was pretty good the majority of the time sealing the edge against running plays (better than Doom actually). Given another year in the system, what supposedly has been a great offseason training regimen, and a chance to start, I think Ayers should be pretty good this year.

Yeah, and I was actually really looking forward to Ayers playing the Anthony Spencer/Lamaar Woodley role for our defense in year two. Now he has to play the main Rush OLB role. If he can improve and kind of take the reigns while Doom recovers, we're going to have a top 3 combo next year. And I'm not ready to write Jarvis Moss off. He'll be back in a couple of weeks and despite Moss' lanky/slim frame, he plays extremely well vs the run. I think Moss will contribute more than people think this year. Defensively, I think we'll be okay.

Still concerned about the OL but I've had the same feeling every year (except for last year during camp, ironically) going into the season. The bad thing about rookies is they take some time to learn the speed and power of the game. The good thing is, Rookies learn at such a quick pace. I'd actually be more concerned right now about our OL's play if there weren't a couple of rookies starting in the middle. Kupe out, Clady out, Harris returning from injury and then a couple rookies, we should expect to struggle early on.

Broncoman13
08-08-2010, 11:31 AM
If I have to eat crow about Ayers that's fine with me. I don't even spit out the feathers anymore the number of times I've had to eat crow in my life.

I resemble this remark. Not a bad thing to be wrong some times, only a bad thing if you can't admit it.

lostknight
08-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I wanted the Ayers pick last year. Still hoping the pick works its way out.

TheReverend
08-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Gawd I hope so. I'll be in for a full serving of crow b/c I didn't like the pick last year and would have much preferred we went Orakpo and then Beanie Wells at Ayers spot. But with him turning it on in year two, I'll be a happy man... and I do like Knowshon a lot though the injuries are starting to become a little concerning. Could be a Cadillac Williams type of guy. Great when healthy, but rarely healthy. Wish Alphonso Smith was showing the same type of adjustment.

What about McBath? Haven't heard much about him thus far in the preseason. Have heard that Quinn is looking much better which was music to my ears. I thought he looked like a bust from the beginning... but if he's starting to show signs of his potential making it on to the field then I'll be happy.

Lots of good things on Cox which is promising... I wonder if Alphonso Smith really is on the bubble?

Don't worry about McBath. There's no breaks on his rape train.

Choo chooooooo

HAT
08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Huh? I don't recall anybody disliking the Ayers pick on draft day 2009.

There were only a couple around draft time. But many came out of the woodwork late season calling McD's entire draft a bust..Ayers included.

I think he's gonna do great in Doom's absence.

BowlenBall
08-08-2010, 12:28 PM
There were only a couple around draft time. But many came out of the woodwork late season calling McD's entire draft a bust..Ayers included.

Ditto. He's got all the physical tools in the world, just seemed to have trouble with the speed of the game last year.

Homer Simpson
08-08-2010, 12:33 PM

:strong:

outdoor_miner
08-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Ideal scenario from the Dumervil injury is that Ayers steps up in Doom's absence and becomes a force. Sometimes, guys need pressure to really break out. Then, when Elvis comes back, we have a great 1-2 punch at OLB.

Popps
08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Ideal scenario from the Dumervil injury is that Ayers steps up in Doom's absence and becomes a force. Sometimes, guys need pressure to really break out. Then, when Elvis comes back, we have a great 1-2 punch at OLB.

Fantastic scenario if it plays out that way.

:strong:

Jesterhole
08-08-2010, 01:48 PM
He is playing against not-Ryan Clady. Let's wait to see what he does in a game. Him and Moss both...still in the same category.

Requiem
08-08-2010, 01:59 PM
This dude will make Derrick Thomas look like a pussy!

_Oro_
08-08-2010, 02:44 PM
This is why its a win-win being a hater. If you hate on your player/coach/team and they suck then you "called it". If you hate on them and they do well, then you happily eat your crow.

oubronco
08-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :approve:

Houshyamama
08-08-2010, 03:23 PM
This is why its a win-win being a hater. If you hate on your player/coach/team and they suck then you "called it". If you hate on them and they do well, then you happily eat your crow.

Only in the hater's eyes. Those with a balanced viewpoint roll their eyes and give them a patronizing pat on the head when they get over their tantrum.

Mogulseeker
08-08-2010, 03:28 PM

I prefer to think of myself as a skeptic.... in most scenarios... I tend to be an optimist when it comes to the Broncos though.

Ambiguous
08-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Don't worry about McBath. There's no breaks on his rape train.

Choo chooooooo

lol what?

LRtagger
08-08-2010, 04:55 PM
He certainly has been putting in the time in the weightroom

http://prod.static.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/08-August/100801pmgallery/100801pmgallery-blog10_ayers--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

enjolras
08-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I was always impressed with Ayers from a physical standpoint. Last year he struggled mentally just understanding the game. He consistently got better as the season went on. That he's come out this camp with a ton of confidence isn't surprising to me. I think he's going to be a good player... but he has to do it in games. Right now he's a training camp phenom.... that doesn't always translate.

FireFly
08-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't know... I hope he does well. I even expect him to... but not as a pass rusher. I don't know that that's the role we should have him fulfilling. If he gets to the QB than great, but I'd rather he was just keeping containing, stringing out running plays and being solid posistionally.

I think he'll be a good player for many years, but not as our primary pass rusher.

maher_tyler
08-08-2010, 06:33 PM

I called this pick..just sayin!!

Hulamau
08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Good to see him getting better. I remember Mayock said he was really raw but that he might be the best defender from that draft in about three years.

Remember that too SoCal ... lot of guys just need a couple years to shine and last year he was adjusting to an entirely new position in addition to NFL speed and complexity.

If he explodes this year can you imagine 2011 with he and Doom wrecking havoc from both sides at once?

Go Robert!

Chris
08-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I don't know... I hope he does well. I even expect him to... but not as a pass rusher. I don't know that that's the role we should have him fulfilling. If he gets to the QB than great, but I'd rather he was just keeping containing, stringing out running plays and being solid posistionally.

I think he'll be a good player for many years, but not as our primary pass rusher.

needs must