PDA

View Full Version : Ufc 117

hookemhess
08-07-2010, 02:10 PM
This is the best card I've seen in a while. There are several fights I'm really excited about. Here are my picks:

Silva vs Sonnen - Heart says Sonnen, brain says Silva
Fitch vs Alves - Alves by 1st rd KO
Guida vs Dos Anjos - Guida by decision
Hughes vs Almeida - Hughes by decision
Nelson vs. Dos Santos - Nelson by 2nd rd belly crush
Hazelett vs Story - Hazelett by 2nd rd submission

hookemhess
08-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Some awesome comments by Chael in the presser:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sz0KjjTF-EA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sz0KjjTF-EA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

"I'm sore, tired, under the weather, over trained, under motivated, and still tough enough to beat this guy." -Chael Sonnen Hilarious!

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Anderson Silva will eventually lose to somebody, but he's pretty much toyed with every opponent he's faced over the last couple of years.

yerner
08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't see Fitch losing. Should be a great night.

GoBroncos84
08-07-2010, 02:52 PM
This is the best card I've seen in a while. There are several fights I'm really excited about. Here are my picks:

Silva vs Sonnen - Heart says Sonnen, brain says Silva
Fitch vs Alves - Alves by 1st rd KO
Guida vs Dos Anjos - Guida by decision
Hughes vs Almeida - Hughes by decision
Nelson vs. Dos Santos - Nelson by 2nd rd belly crush
Hazelett vs Story - Hazelett by 2nd rd submission

Agree, I am rooting for Sonnen but expect Silva to handle him
This one is tougher. I like both fighters and am undecided
Guida
Hughes
I have to go with Dos Santos here, Roy has the weight advantage but I don't think its enough to win this time
Agree, Hazelett by tap out

Jason7730
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Looks like a great card, I'm stoked! I'm pulling for Sonnen, the longer the fight goes the more I see Sonnen controlling him and winning. If it ends early though I see that as a KO win for Silva.....

bap454
08-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Ok so whos got a link tonight??

bap454
08-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Looks like a great card, I'm stoked! I'm pulling for Sonnen, the longer the fight goes the more I see Sonnen controlling him and winning. If it ends early though I see that as a KO win for Silva.....

Definately pulling for Sonnen also. More so because of who Silva is rather than Kale. Not really familiar with Sonnen. Sounds like in his presser that he used to fight for a diffrent organazation..does anyone have the background on this kid, notable fights, etc....

dbfan4life
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Try this closer to fight time. Sopcast feeds always work best for me.

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=82833&part=sports

bap454
08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Try this closer to fight time. Sopcast feeds always work best for me.

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=82833&part=sports

I will try that one thanks...heres one that has done me well in the past.
http://atdhe.net/
just cant have enough options. ^5

DHallblows
08-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Definately pulling for Sonnen also. More so because of who Silva is rather than Kale. Not really familiar with Sonnen. Sounds like in his presser that he used to fight for a diffrent organazation..does anyone have the background on this kid, notable fights, etc....

He's done some Bodog fights and WEC before they were bought out and was in the UFC earlier on.
As far a notable fights...
Losses against Babalu, Forrest Griffin, and THREE times against Jeremy Horn.
Wins against Dan Miller, Yushin Okami, Nate Marquardt and a win early in their careers against Jason Mayhem Miller.
Has split with Trevor Prangley and Paulo Filho in WEC.

Simply put he isn't amazingly good. Not worth a title fight IMO. He's only winning by a boring, wrestling-filled decision or submitting Silva in the late rounds by tiring him out.

Check this video out:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpcB-TGjArs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpcB-TGjArs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

bap454
08-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Dude sounds like a moron... I just want Silva to lose. Sure in heck sounds like him when Rome played the audio... " that doesnt sound like me, it sounds like a hispanic"..lol!

OBF1
08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Silva is going to kick his ass... Sonnen is all talk, while Anderson is one of the best in class ever.

elsid13
08-07-2010, 06:57 PM
No free Prelims tonight?

Jason7730
08-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Silva is going to kick his ass... Sonnen is all talk, while Anderson is one of the best in class ever.

Silva may kick his ass, and I don't get into all the smack talk that Chael has been doing,but to say Sonnen is all talk is ignorant. He has "world class" wrestling ability and he TAKES the fight to his opponent for the entire length of the fight. I believe he is trying to get under Silva's skin w/ all the smack talk. I also don't like Silva's little running around goofing off in the ring. If it goes past the second round Silva could be in trouble. Sonnen is on a roll and has dominated two really good fighters in his last two fights in Nate Marquart and Yushin Okami and he is the type of fighter that has the skill set to give a counter-striker like Silva problems, imho. I also tend to pull for the American fighters and it looks like a lot of USA VS. Brazil tonight, so go USA!!!

elsid13
08-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Silva may kick his ass, and I don't get into all the smack talk that Chael has been doing,but to say Sonnen is all talk is ignorant. He has "world class" wrestling ability and he TAKES the fight to his opponent for the entire length of the fight. I believe he is trying to get under Silva's skin w/ all the smack talk. I also don't like Silva's little running around goofing off in the ring. If it goes past the second round Silva could be in trouble. Sonnen is on a roll and has dominated two really good fighters in his last two fights in Nate Marquart and Yushin Okami and he is the type of fighter that has the skill set to give a counter-striker like Silva problems, imho. I also tend to pull for the American fighters and it looks like a lot of USA VS. Brazil tonight, so go USA!!!

Couture was on local sports radio a couple of days and had a lot of positive things to say about Chael. They trained together. When asked by the host why Chael was talking so much, Couture stated it was part of the strategy to get under Silva's skin. Couture said that Chael doesn't talk like that in real life and he's positive it part of the game plan to get Silva off his game.

Jason7730
08-07-2010, 07:20 PM
That's what I figured. We will find out if his strategy pan's out, but I am pretty sure he will take the fight to Silva and that's what I have been wanting to see somebody try against Silva. The porblem is not getting ko'ed when closing the distance.

dbfan4life
08-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Channel 262467 on Sopcast working great.

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/24267

elsid13
08-07-2010, 08:52 PM
hughes with choke out.

i4jelway7
08-07-2010, 09:36 PM

do you listen to mma meltdown on www.morencysports.com?

Jason7730
08-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Nah, I try to catch inside mma on hdnet though. Is meltdown pretty good?

scorpio
08-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Silva doing his best Yosemite Sam impression the with goatee

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I can't believe the punishment Sonnen dished out in Round 1!

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd say Sonnen easily won Round 2 also! :0

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Closer, but Round 3 goes to Sonnen as well!

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Unbelieveably... Round 4 to Sonnen!

FISH
08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
You watching live Dre? Im just refreshing a live blog....sounds (reads) brutal though

DivineBronco
08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
this is eeeeeeeeepic

Jay3
08-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Tapout.

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I can't say I'm shocked that Silva pulled it out, but he'll be one beat up m'fer in the morning!

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2010, 10:50 PM
You watching live Dre? Im just refreshing a live blog....sounds (reads) brutal though

Yes, I am.

scorpio
08-07-2010, 10:52 PM
That's the craziest **** I've ever seen.

Captain 'Dre
08-07-2010, 10:57 PM
I wonder if Silva will be a bit more humble in the future.

Sonnen absolutely took it to him for 4 1/2 rounds.

Jason7730
08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
What a tough fight. I give props to Silva for pretty nuch getting his ass-kicked for 4 1/2 rds. then getting the choke. Props to Sonnen for taking the fight to silva too. Silva hasn't been abused like that since....never. I thought that Sonnen showed any doubters that he did indeed deserve the right to fight for the belt, imo. Great card all the way around too!!

DHallblows
08-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow, crazy finish. 4 boring rounds from Sonnen just as predicted.
I take BJJ over college wrestling any night and this fight proved why.

hookemhess
08-08-2010, 12:03 AM
As always, my picks are way off.

That Chael fight still has my stomach in knots. Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Wow, crazy finish. 4 boring rounds from Sonnen just as predicted.
I take BJJ over college wrestling any night and this fight proved why.

So you can get you ass dominated for 23+ mins and hope in the last minute you can get a submit? Brilliant strategy. This fight proved that Silva hadn't particapated in this type of full pressure fight before, and my hat's off to him but don't disrespect Sonnen. The best MMA in the world, when starting a base, is amateur wrestling. In most experts view, that's the main view. It showed why tonight. BJJ didn't do to well tonight either, did it. Matt Hughes used a "wrestling" hold to submit a 4 time bjj national champion tonight, just to strengthen your view, lol!!!

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Oh and don't forget the other 4 time bjj national champion Dos Anos got dominated by a what? Purdue all- american wrestler John Fitch.

RonDaChamp24
08-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Silva is and has been my favorite fighter. Very, very happy that he pulled out the victory. It was a great fight. I will say though, props to Sonnen. He really impressed me, and took the fight to Silva like no one (in the UFC) has before. Very good fight, well worth the PPV money. Can't wait until Aug. 28, Edgar vs Penn rematch should be a good one as well!

RonDaChamp24
08-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Oh and don't forget the other 4 time bjj national champion Dos Anos got dominated by a what? Purdue all- american wrestler John Fitch.

Dos Anjos lost to Clay Guida. Fitch beat Alves.

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Oh thx. My bad. Another example of tonights bjj vs. wrestling examples. Much props again to A. Silva. He really hung in there and went places he probably had not gone before and stayed focused.

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Silva is and has been my favorite fighter. Very, very happy that he pulled out the victory. It was a great fight. I will say though, props to Sonnen. He really impressed me, and took the fight to Silva like no one (in the UFC) has before. Very good fight, well worth the PPV money. Can't wait until Aug. 28, Edgar vs Penn rematch should be a good one as well!

You know what? Edgar really impressed the hell out of me with the first fight. I really thought that at 155, bj was just the man, but Edgar was very impressive and wasn't like a fluke or anything.

DHallblows
08-08-2010, 01:06 AM
So you can get you ass dominated for 23+ mins and hope in the last minute you can get a submit? Brilliant strategy. This fight proved that Silva hadn't particapated in this type of full pressure fight before, and my hat's off to him but don't disrespect Sonnen. The best MMA in the world, when starting a base, is amateur wrestling. In most experts view, that's the main view. It showed why tonight. BJJ didn't do to well tonight either, did it. Matt Hughes used a "wrestling" hold to submit a 4 time bjj national champion tonight, just to strengthen your view, lol!!!

...BJJ is significantly more exciting to watch than wrestling, I have no idea what the **** you're talking about here but it's not what I'm talking about. Ground-and-pound is more boring to watch in a fight than a slick submission IMO.

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 01:21 AM
It's about watching MMA fool! I don't watch wrestling ( 'cept for the ncaa div 1 finals ) and I don't watch the gay ass lay on my back like a little girl bjj either. When a wrestler learns how to strike and defend submissions, he will have the the advantage. How are going to dog a wrestler when you submitted a bjj EXPERT with a wrestling move? Check yourself, son.

DHallblows
08-08-2010, 01:55 AM
It's about watching MMA fool! I don't watch wrestling ( 'cept for the ncaa div 1 finals ) and I don't watch the gay ass lay on my back like a little girl bjj either. When a wrestler learns how to strike and defend submissions, he will have the the advantage. How are going to dog a wrestler when you submitted a bjj EXPERT with a wrestling move? Check yourself, son.

Do you talk this weird in real life? Calm down, son.
Wrestling in MMA leads to drawn out decisions where BJJ in MMA leads to submissions.

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Do you talk this weird in real life? Calm down, son.
Wrestling in MMA leads to drawn out decisions where BJJ in MMA leads to submissions.
So wrestlers like say Lesner and Carwin, Velasquez et al leads to drawn out decisions? Please rookie. I have been watching MMA since you were in diapers. Now, to be fair to your view, I don't like for a wrestler to just get a takedown and to not do anything else and just try and hold them there. In reality, every great fighter has to work on many different styles and can't just rely on their own area of expertise. Take GSP. He was not an amatuer wrestler but he knew to beat the likes of M Hughes he would have to train really hard to learn high level wrestling and now his wrestling is about as good as any at his weight class. He did this because he felt he NEEDED to do that to help him be the best in the world and that has shown to be a wise decision on his part.

DHallblows
08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
So wrestlers like say Lesner and Carwin, Velasquez et al leads to drawn out decisions? Please rookie. I have been watching MMA since you were in diapers. Now, to be fair to your view, I don't like for a wrestler to just get a takedown and to not do anything else and just try and hold them there. In reality, every great fighter has to work on many different styles and can't just rely on their own area of expertise. Take GSP. He was not an amatuer wrestler but he knew to beat the likes of M Hughes he would have to train really hard to learn high level wrestling and now his wrestling is about as good as any at his weight class. He did this because he felt he NEEDED to do that to help him be the best in the world and that has shown to be a wise decision on his part.

LOL Are we serious right now? You're calling those 3 guys wrestlers and not strikers? That's basically calling Shinya Aoki a boxer. (Don't worry, I'll give you time to look him up since you probably only follow UFC) Heavyweights that throw bombs for KOs obviously don't lead to a decision, I didn't say that ::)

Wrestlers (guys that use wrestling first and striking second) like Jake Shields and Chael Sonnen lead to boring fights. And if you're gonna come back with other fighters, please don't mention heavyweights who box. Clearly their fights are exciting.

elsid13
08-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Overall it was very good event. Lots of action and good fights.

DHallblows
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Overall it was very good event. Lots of action and good fights.

I throughly enjoyed it. Well worth the $3 I paid at the bar :thumbs:

Jay3
08-08-2010, 07:39 PM
LOL Are we serious right now? You're calling those 3 guys wrestlers and not strikers? That's basically calling Shinya Aoki a boxer. (Don't worry, I'll give you time to look him up since you probably only follow UFC) Heavyweights that throw bombs for KOs obviously don't lead to a decision, I didn't say that ::)

Wrestlers (guys that use wrestling first and striking second) like Jake Shields and Chael Sonnen lead to boring fights. And if you're gonna come back with other fighters, please don't mention heavyweights who box. Clearly their fights are exciting.

Lesnar's a wrestler. Watch his fights.

DHallblows
08-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Jesus. Nobody can follow what I'm saying? I'm talking in a broader picture than 2 heavyweights you've heard of. My point is in the second paragraph of the post you quoted

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Lesar is not a div. I National champ, Cain Velasquez is not a 2 time all- american and Carwin is not a div. 2 wrestling national champion either. (sarc.) Just ask dhall. Oh, and Aoki got his ass beat when he came to the U.S. by gilbert melendez (wrestler). I would never call Aoki a striker, but if he get you in one of his submissions you are in trouble. ( like his last fight back in Japan against kawajiri, who is also a wrestler). watch MMA, not just UFC. I know you (dhall) are probably one of those Pride was better than UFC guys, but I try and focus on the individual fights and fighters. I am glad that Pride (now Dream) is still afloat because it's more fights to watch. The UFC actually purchased Pride back in 2007 and they were going to try and merge the two but that fell apart and they fired everbody and shut down the promotion. Some of these people formed FEG which is the parent co. of K-1 (which is great to watch, btw). So, you are not dealing with some knuckle head who thinks that all of MMA resolves around the UFC.

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Jesus. Nobody can follow what I'm saying? I'm talking in a broader picture than 2 heavyweights you've heard of. My point is in the second paragraph of the post you quoted

Ok, how about these top level wrestlers who are exciting (imho) and use wrestling as their base:
Rashad Evans, Rampage Jackson, KIng mo Lawal, Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, Yushin Okami, GSP, Josh Koscheck, Gilbert Melendez, Frankie Edgar, Uriah Faber just to name a few. Did you notice the different weight classes and organizations?

DHallblows
08-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Ok, this argument is getting annoying so I'm just going to point a few things out and give up with this. Also, I'm getting the feeling you think I'm taking an extreme position on this, but I'm not trying to. I'm not one of the crazy characters of the OMane ROFL!

1. But please, stop quoting Carwin as a wrestler. This goes a little for the other bigs, but specifically him. He is a boxer with a wrestling background. He's a puncher who uses wrestling slightly to get position for a TKO after he's already punched a hole in the guy's face while standing up. I'm focusing on this guy because calling his fighting style wrestling is just plain ridiculous. Yes he wrestled in college, that doesn't mean as a MMA fighter he's a wrestler, he is a striker. That leads to:

2. I'm saying a fighter specifically using wrestling as his main style is less exciting than someone specifically using BJJ. I'll get specific because I'm not coming back to this thread, it's too crazy. Someone that uses take downs to get points while somewhat laying punishment into their opponent and just getting decisions is boring. Sonnen lost his fight because he didn't have the striking to finish the fight even though he was able to keep Silva down the whole time. Silva did more damage from his back because of his good Muay Thai.
Using wrestling to pass guard and finish the fight with strikes or a non wrestling submission? Perfectly exciting and what the majority of those you listed in post #53 do. What I'm saying is that BJJ rarely leads to a boring fight of punches from full guard. It leads to exciting submissions. Someone using BJJ with striking (imo) is finishing a fight more excitingly than a wrestler with striking. If you want to bring the heavier guys into the argument, fine. I personally believe any heavy fight is exciting regardless of the style, so we have no arguments there. But as you go lower and lower in weight, and punches do less and less damage, the submissions of BJJ are more exciting than a wrestler spending 3 minutes to get full mount so the other guy has to give his back and the wrestler gets a RNC.
So do you see how we're arguing different things? I'm talking about wrestling a their fighting style, NOT as their base for their ground game.

3. YES, there are several exceptions to what I'm saying, I realize this. My first post was a broad statement which has a rather in depth discussion attached to it (as we're both proving now) This whole damn thing is based off of what we prefer anyway lol. I see you like ground and pound a lot and I prefer subs, so if we want to keep getting worked up with this, that's fine. But I can see you actually are a complete MMA fan, and I did throughly appreciate you showing varying weight classes and organizations in your last post. And you had several good points with it. The Aoki knock was a light jab at ya btw, it's good to see someone that follows all of MMA.
I do prefer Pride but it was literally only because of soccer kicks to a down opponent, not the fighters or anything. The rules were just so crazy and funny hahaha. I just like fights, I'm not biased :)

DHallblows
08-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Lesar is not a div. I National champ, Cain Velasquez is not a 2 time all- american and Carwin is not a div. 2 wrestling national champion either. (sarc.) Just ask dhall. Oh, and Aoki got his ass beat when he came to the U.S. by gilbert melendez (wrestler). I would never call Aoki a striker, but if he get you in one of his submissions you are in trouble. ( like his last fight back in Japan against kawajiri, who is also a wrestler). watch MMA, not just UFC. I know you (dhall) are probably one of those Pride was better than UFC guys, but I try and focus on the individual fights and fighters. I am glad that Pride (now Dream) is still afloat because it's more fights to watch. The UFC actually purchased Pride back in 2007 and they were going to try and merge the two but that fell apart and they fired everbody and shut down the promotion. Some of these people formed FEG which is the parent co. of K-1 (which is great to watch, btw). So, you are not dealing with some knuckle head who thinks that all of MMA resolves around the UFC.

I'm gathering you watch HDNet a lot, am I right? It's my favorite channel on my Dish

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey, I respect your opinion also, man. It's all good. This type of discussion could last a LONG time, lol!!! Oh yeah HDNet! It is the single greatest accomplishment that Mark Cuban has done, lol. (and I'm a Sun's fan!) Go Broncos!!

tesnyde
10-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Anyone watching UFC 121?

Ramathorn
10-23-2010, 08:50 PM
ANyone got a live stream for the fight?

SouthStndJunkie
10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Check your PM.

SouthStndJunkie
10-23-2010, 10:07 PM
It's time!

SouthStndJunkie
10-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Cain Velasquez beat Brock Lesnar....fight was stopped near the end of the 1st round.

SouthStndJunkie
10-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Velasquez dominated Lesnar and bloodied him pretty good.

Broncoman13
10-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Anywhere to watch a replay?

Rocket 7
10-23-2010, 11:45 PM

A view at a bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5p995tkFe8

Rocket 7
10-23-2010, 11:52 PM

Get it before they pull the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgwVE0FSKIg

DHallblows
10-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Second straight fight where that happened to Brock. Cain was smart and learned from Shane Carwin's mistake

crush17
10-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Wow. Lesnar got LIT UP.

elsid13
10-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Wow. Lesnar got LIT UP.

yeah he did. Shields shouldn't have won either.