PDA

View Full Version : New Rules for 2010

Ugly Duck
08-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Bad news for rabid headhunter types launching themselves at offensive players:

Starting this year, it will be illegal to hit any ‘defenseless’ player if the initial force of the contact with a players’ helmet, shoulder or forearm is to the head or neck area. The following players are considered ‘defenseless’ and will be protected: A quarterback in the act of passing, a receiver in the act of making a catch, a kick/punt returner in the act of catching a kick/punt, a runner who is ‘in the grasp’ and who’s forward progress has been stopped, a player on the ground at the end of the play, a QB after a change of possession and a kicker/punter after the ball is kicked. Violations of the rule can result in a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty and potential discipline by the league.

If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching into him in a way that causes the defensive players’ helmet, facemask, shoulder or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver in the head or neck area. A “launch” is defined as leaving your feet to spring forward and upward into an opponent. Hits such as these will result in a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty and potential discipline by the league. If the receiver has the ball long enough to protect himself or the defender does not launch himself as part of the hit, it is not a foul.

After a valid fair catch signal, the opportunity to catch a kick does not end if the ball if muffed. The player who signaled for the fair catch must have a reasonable opportunity to catch the muffed kick before it hits the ground without interference from the kicking team players.

Each team must have the opportunity to posses the ball once in overtime. However, if the team that wins the coin toss scores a touchdown on their initial possession, the game is over. If the team that wins the coin toss scores a field goal on their initial possession, the game is not over. Their opponent much be given an opportunity to possess the ball. If the score remains tied after both teams have been given the opportunity to posses the ball, the game continues under normal ‘sudden death’ rules. (Postseason only)

The use of abusive, threatening or insulting language or gestures directed at an opponent or the opposing teams’ bench is considered taunting. This is a foul under NFL playing rules and a 15-yard penalty will be assessed for unsportsmanlike conduct.

NFL Officials Visit Redskins Park – New Rules for 2010 Explained (http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/nfl-officials-visit-redskins-park-explain-new-rules-for-2010/)

BlaK-Argentina
08-06-2010, 09:51 PM
The OT rule actually sounds kind of cool this close to the start of the season, don't know why. I hated it at first but now... hmm, I dunno.

diehardbroncosfan
08-06-2010, 09:53 PM
After a valid fair catch signal, the opportunity to catch a kick does not end if the ball if muffed. The player who signaled for the fair catch must have a reasonable opportunity to catch the muffed kick before it hits the ground without interference from the kicking team players.

Ok, I don't like most of these rules (the NFL has already weakened the game enough already), but this one is positively absurd. So, muffed kicks won't matter anymore? Why even let a coverage team come after the returner in the first place if they can't even go after a ball if the returner drops it? Maybe I just don't understand the rule, but it seems like a completely unnecessary change.

Also, while I can understand in principle the idea behind the launching rule, that's going to result in lot of excess penalties and yet another ridiculously gray area for controversy, no?

BlaK-Argentina
08-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Ok, I don't like most of these rules (the NFL has already weakened the game enough already), but this one is positively absurd. So, muffed kicks won't matter anymore? Why even let a coverage team come after the returner in the first place if they can't even go after a ball if the returner drops it? Maybe I just don't understand the rule, but it seems like a completely unnecessary change.

Also, while I can understand in principle the idea behind the launching rule, that's going to result in lot of excess penalties and yet another ridiculously gray area for controversy, no?

It means BEFORE it hits the ground. The kicking team can't recover while it's still in the air, being bobbled or whatever.

Still don't like it... but not as bad as you thought.

diehardbroncosfan
08-06-2010, 10:03 PM
It means BEFORE it hits the ground. The kicking team can't recover while it's still in the air, being bobbled or whatever.

Still don't like it... but not as bad as you thought.

Ok yeah, like you said it's not as bad, but it still seems unnecessary.

Atwater His Ass
08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I've been a big supporter of almost this exact OT change for years. I don't like if the first team scores a TD it's over, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

Am I read this wrong:

"The opportunity to possess applies only during kicking plays. The kick-off is the ‘opportunity to possess’ for the kicking team. If the kicking team legally recovers the kick, the receiving team is considered to have had its opportunity. A punt or missed field goal that crosses the line of scrimmage and is muffed by the receiving team is considered to be an ‘opportunity to possess’ for the receiving team."

Shouldn't the kick off be an opportunity to posses for the receivingteam? Otherwise, it reads that if you kick off, that counts as your opportunity to posses, such that a FG by the receiving team would end the game, which is against the intent of the rule.

Also, what about a pick six? Does that end the game? I believe it should since it's a change of possession. But they define the opportunity to posses as only applying to kicking plays.

Hogan11
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
The OT rule actually sounds kind of cool this close to the start of the season, don't know why. I hated it at first but now... hmm, I dunno.

I still hate it. This is the direct result of Brett Farve whiners from last year's NFC Championship game and it's dispicable.