PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Little, #44, Denver Broncos, NFL Hall of Fame

Cito Pelon
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I have to start this thread for my posterity.

Mr. Little meant everything to the Bronco franchise. It wasn't just the stats, I'll post the stats later, it was the excitement Mr. Little brought to the town. Floyd Little energized the franchise. Denver was one of the original AFL franchises in 1960, one of the few, but Mr. Little coming to town really energized the town and the franchise.

Just look at the stats, look at them, here they are:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LittFl00.htm

Take a good look and you'll see why he deserves to be in the HOF.

tsiguy96
08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
SI_PeterKing

Not only Floyd Little should get applause in Canton. DenPost's Jeff Legwold should too--best HoF sales job I've heard in 18 yrs as voter.

Kaylore
08-06-2010, 08:01 PM
There would be no Broncos without Little.

Dutch
08-06-2010, 08:51 PM
on NFL Network. What a treat to get to see some of my favorite players again after 40 years. Billy Thompson as a rookie Corner and special teams sensation (led the NFL in both Punt and Kick yardage for the season...it had never been done). "Tombstone" Jackson and Paul Smith crushing QB's with a pass rush as good as any in the NFL that year (Joe Collier's first of the next 20 as Denver's Defensive Coordinater). Favorite part though, had to be getting to watch Floyd run again. He really was a treat to watch. Tied guys in knots, then just hit the burners and ran away (or over/through 'em if need be). Gutsy, gutsy player...and a fine human being as well. Really looking forward to tomorrow. Thank you Mr. Little, for being exactly the kind of role model kids need for me when I was a kid. It was a privelege to see you play.

Quoydogs
08-06-2010, 09:43 PM

I caught that on the nfl network the other night. I had no Idea he was the reason the broncos stayed in CO. I think he said he was there first, first round choice ever and if it had not been for that the Broncos would have moved on.

KipCorrington25
08-07-2010, 12:10 AM
SI_PeterKing

Not only Floyd Little should get applause in Canton. DenPost's Jeff Legwold should too--best HoF sales job I've heard in 18 yrs as voter.

Wow, Peter King is a low life POS, he can't just let the guy be in Canton like every other borderlline guy, he has to continue to run him down even now, that is deplorable, they guy really is showing himself to be the scumbag with an east coast, ball licking agenda that he has. By implying he only got in because a writer talked him up really is a low as you can get.

Jason7730
08-07-2010, 12:55 AM
on NFL Network. What a treat to get to see some of my favorite players again after 40 years. Billy Thompson as a rookie Corner and special teams sensation (led the NFL in both Punt and Kick yardage for the season...it had never been done). "Tombstone" Jackson and Paul Smith crushing QB's with a pass rush as good as any in the NFL that year (Joe Collier's first of the next 20 as Denver's Defensive Coordinater). Favorite part though, had to be getting to watch Floyd run again. He really was a treat to watch. Tied guys in knots, then just hit the burners and ran away (or over/through 'em if need be). Gutsy, gutsy player...and a fine human being as well. Really looking forward to tomorrow. Thank you Mr. Little, for being exactly the kind of role model kids need for me when I was a kid. It was a privelege to see you play.

Damn, I wish I would of tivo'd. That's some GREAT Bronco stuff right there.

Garcia Bronco
08-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Toast:

To the four-four, no one has waited so long that deserved it more.

gunns
08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I can't wait till this afternoon. I owe my being a Bronco fan to this guy. I was amazed to watch him, the first offensive position that I was in awe of. I had been a fan of the fearsome foursome of the Rams and still like defense more than offense, but 44 opened my eyes to what a great offensive player can do and made me a Bronco fan for life. About time you got yours Floyd.

dsmoot
08-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Certainly not in Denver

Hamrob
08-07-2010, 12:36 PM
The story by Gary Smith enbedded in the story below is incredible!

Broncos to honor Floyd Little during scrimmage (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/07/broncos-to-honor-floyd-little-during-scrimmage/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 7, 2010 1:39 PM ET
Former Broncos running back Floyd Little, a Denver legend, will be in Canton Saturday night finally becoming a football immortal (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/07/floyd-little-inducted-at-the-right-time-after-a-long-time/).

Meanwhile in Denver, Josh McDaniels, a Canton native, will honor Little during the Broncos' scrimmage, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

McDaniels called Little this morning at 6:20 A.M. Denver time to tell him the team would wear No. 44 decals (Little's number) on their helmets (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/08/07/floyd-littles-no-44-on-broncos-helmets-tonight/4337/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29) on Saturday night. The team will also play Little's induction speech on the Invesco Field big screen after the scrimmage.

It's a cool gesture by McDaniels, who plans to have Little speak to the team in September when Little formally receives his Hall of Fame ring during a game against the Colts.

And because we don't know where else to put this link, please check out Gary Smith's piece on Little from Sports Illustrated a few weeks back. It's an incredible, well-written story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1172329/index.htm).

dsmoot
08-07-2010, 03:13 PM
If you don't read the link in the previous message you will be missing an incredible story.

Dutch
08-07-2010, 03:19 PM
They are kind of beating this "greatest class ever" BS to death, now. I am soooo sick of this era of everything always having to be "the greatest of all time" mentality, it makes me hurl. Instead of spending the time talking about all of the inductees, we get this manufactured BS. OK, rant mode off. They have had a couple of nice Floyd moments (one intentional, the other pretty cool and unexpected). The first was a short interview with Tom Mackie. He did very well. He said that he was able to spend "about five minutes" with Floyd after yesterday's HOF lunchion where the jackets are presented. Got a couple of pics (hope he posts those at his website...hint hint, Tom). Then mentioned how many emails the site had recieved commenting on the Gary Smith article in SI and what a great movie it would make (I agree). The second was when they were asking Roger Stallback if this was, yep once again the dreaded GCE. Roger was his ever classy self and gave props to both Smith and Rice, then proceeded to bring a tear to my eye when he said "and it is about time that Floyd Little is getting in". "His enshrinement is long overdue and he was one of the best PLAYERS of his era, hands down." Awesome coming from someone I've always liked and respected. What a great day! Really looking forward to Floyd's speech. Bet he sheds a tear or two, and I'll probably be a mess...in a good way!:approve:

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 03:52 PM
They are kind of beating this "greatest class ever" BS to death, now. I am soooo sick of this era of everything always having to be "the greatest of all time" mentality, it makes me hurl. Instead of spending the time talking about all of the inductees, we get this manufactured BS. OK, rant mode off. They have had a couple of nice Floyd moments (one intentional, the other pretty cool and unexpected). The first was a short interview with Tom Mackie. He did very well. He said that he was able to spend "about five minutes" with Floyd after yesterday's HOF lunchion where the jackets are presented. Got a couple of pics (hope he posts those at his website...hint hint, Tom). Then mentioned how many emails the site had recieved commenting on the Gary Smith article in SI and what a great movie it would make (I agree). The second was when they were asking Roger Stallback if this was, yep once again the dreaded GCE. Roger was his ever classy self and gave props to both Smith and Rice, then proceeded to bring a tear to my eye when he said "and it is about time that Floyd Little is getting in". "His enshrinement is long overdue and he was one of the best PLAYERS of his era, hands down." Awesome coming from someone I've always liked and respected. What a great day! Really looking forward to Floyd's speech. Bet he sheds a tear or two, and I'll probably be a mess...in a good way!:approve:

I couldn't agree more. Too much bs about greatest class ever and not enough about the qualifications of each class member. Staubach is the classiest Cowboy around and if Tebow's style is a throw back to any former player it's Roger the Dodger Staubach. He's just a great American and a class act. When Little garners so much respect from Staubach it speaks volumns about Little.

Dutch
08-07-2010, 04:48 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/7/1611260/the-francise-an-appreciation-of#storyjump

Dutch
08-07-2010, 05:12 PM
and some lurker hangin' out in this thread right now, Tombstone! Switched over to ESPN for a min, just in time to catch the Floyd segment and TJ talking about how special this day was for him. Too cool...

Hogan11
08-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm watching it...it's killing me not to have been able to be there for this.

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Dick LeBeau's speech is over, next is John Randle.

Hogan11
08-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Dick LeBeau's speech is over, next is John Randle.

That was cool how the whole Steeler team came out for him

Dutch
08-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm watching it...it's killing me not to have been able to be there for this.

Me too, Hogan. Breaks my heart to have missed this one.

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
John Randle's speech is over, it was short and sweet. Next is Russ Grimm.

Dutch
08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
That was cool how the whole Steeler team came out for him

As much as I hate the Squeelers, the Rooney family is one of the best/classiest in sports. What a great opportunity for the team.

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Russ Grimm speech done (I always like it when olineman get into the HOF), Ricky Jackson is next.

Hogan11
08-07-2010, 06:50 PM
They're putting Floyd between Rice and Smith?? :nono:

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Ricky Jackson speech is done, why is Rice next?

RhymesayersDU
08-07-2010, 06:52 PM
So Floyd hasn't spoken yet? I just started watching like 30 minutes ago. Got home late.

Requiem
08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Jesus Christ, what did Rickey Jackson even say? LMAO. Worst speech ever.

"HamAbaba Abaja Jesus oh Katrina did it to us man, just think if da Saints left OrlEAns. Shabahaba."

Can't wait to hear Mr. Little!

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm gonna have to say I don't like the way the player's speeches are lined up. Rice should be at the end with dummy, I mean E. Smith.

Hogan11
08-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Maybe Floyd is the headliner Ha!

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 06:58 PM
They'll probably force Little to be the ending speech, this way people can start exiting early... I still harbor a lot of resentment toward the NFL HOShame.

Meck77
08-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Rice retired as a Bronco! Well shanny fired his ass but he was a Bronco at the end! Ha!

Love him or hate him. The guy was a D killer.

Dutch
08-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Jesus Christ, what did Rickey Jackson even say? LMAO. Worst speech ever.

"HamAbaba Abaja Jesus oh Katrina did it to us man, just think if da Saints left OrlEAns. Shabahaba."

Can't wait to hear Mr. Little!

Oh come on Req, cut the big man a bit of slack. He was trying to speak from the heart. I thought the way he alluded to the lanor talks was pretty well done. As for the Katrina talk, my folks were in Baton Rouge for all of it...forgive them their focus on it, but it really was that kind of a life changing event. If you have ever love NO, it hit you hard. Can't wait until Floyd goes on. SOOOOOO cool that he is in between Rice and Smith as that many more people will catch him.

Tombstone RJ
I know what Jerry is gonna say: "This moment is special, but it just another accolade in a long, long list of accomplishments, awards in accolades, but it's not just about me, it's about all the other people who I made great... while it's not about me, it actually is all about how great I am...."

Hogan11
They'll probably force Little to be the ending speech, this way people can start exiting early... I still harbor a lot of resentment toward the NFL HOShame.

Even though he's finally in, I do share some of your resentment Tomb.

This makes zero sense, Rice & Smith should've been at the end...whadda they do, draw straws to see who goes on when?

Dutch
08-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Even though he's finally in, I do share some of your resentment Tomb.

This makes zero sense, Rice & Smith should've been at the end...whadda they do, draw straws to see who goes on when?

Head call/smoke break/fridge run for people between Rice and Smith, honestly. Sucks, but hopefully there will be enough folks hangin' to catch Floyd that are not Bronco folks. Frankly, I couldn't care less. I'm going to get to see one of the best boyhood heroes I ever could have ever wished for. My Dad was a little league coach who attended John Ralston's coaches camp for years. Floyd would always come out for a couple hours, EVERY DAY. He spent time with the kids on the sideline before he went out on the field again, every day. Human Being, plain and simple. Wasn't just about how well he played, it was about the WAY he played and the way he conducted himself in the community as well. That really meant something to the people of Denver in those days. Special time, Special place, Special Man.

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 07:20 PM
goat speech over, next is...

Dutch
08-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Ha! Did my smoke break/fresh beer/head call done and am ready to enjoy this!:yayaya:

Hogan11
08-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Biden is the Man

TDmvp
Woot!!!

Tombstone RJ
Floyd Little!! Biden the VP is talking...

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Nice intro speech by the Swamy...

BroncoDoug
08-07-2010, 07:28 PM
!!!!!!

BroncoDoug
08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Great intro by his son... getting me all teary eyed

rbackfactory80
08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Rice gave an awful speech. Man he was a great player but he really isn't easy to like.

SouthStndJunkie
08-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Excellent intro speech by his son.

Short and succinct.

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Fantastic intro by his son, Mark Little's intro was fantastic, it says lots about a man when his family is so well spoken!

Little's a true Man of God too!

Requiem
08-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Floyd is kickin' ****in' ass!

BroncoDoug
08-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)
Floyd Little's presenter and son, Marc, has been the most eloquent and powerful speaker of the night.

SouthStndJunkie
08-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Floyd gave an excellent and inspiring speech.

bronco militia
08-07-2010, 07:43 PM
awesome speech

extralife
08-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow wow wow Floyd and his kid rocked the hell out of that. Riveting speech, great day for football fans.

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Incredible speech, I never knew Floyd Little was such a vocal presence, such a powerful speaker. His speech by far the best HOF speech I've heard.

Hogan11
08-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Excellent job by Floyd...cool that Moops got a shout out as well.

extralife
Incredible speech, I never knew Floyd Little was such a vocal presence, such a powerful speaker. His speech by far the best HOF speech I've heard.

Seriously man, I'm ****ing amped up right now

Meck77
Mile High Salute to Mr. Floyd Little. Wow that was powerful.

BroncoDoug
08-07-2010, 07:47 PM
wingoz (http://twitter.com/wingoz)
After that speech..I'd follow Floyd Little anywhere..so glad to be here in canton.

Chris
08-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't have cable. I hope I get to see the replay online.

extralife
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm sure it'll be on both nfl.com and denverbroncos.com

it better, at least.

Durango
08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
That was great, easily the best HoF speech tonight and probably among the best ever. First Bronco I remember as a kid and everything I'd want to see in a player today.

BroncoDoug
08-07-2010, 07:54 PM
now the sound is all kinds of messing up for Emmit... that sucks...

Requiem
08-07-2010, 07:59 PM
What a speech. Absolutely touching. A great man, a great family, wow. Just wonderful.

Dutch
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM
All out, and heart on his sleeve. Soaked a couple of kleenex durring that one. Hands down, best of the night. Engaging, humble, compelling Family man, and didn't sound like he had been working with a speech coach (Emmit). Best of the night, no wonder they saved him until the end. That was awesome. My wife was like, wow. She had never heard of Floyd until I gave her the Gary Smith article to read. So she dropped in for Floyd's speach and was just as sniffly as me by the time he finished. She laughed and said "no wonder you loved him as a kid" I told her "yep, same old Floyd. Human Being, plain and simple". Special night. Special, special night.

BroncoDoug
08-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Emmitts speech was a lot better then I thought it was going to be, very passionate, seems very real

Dutch
08-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Gotta give Mr Smith his props. When a running back can hardly speak when speaking of his fullback (Moose), he becomes pretty easy to pull for.

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I still find myself scratching my head listening to Smith... I know what he's trying to say, I think...

Tombstone RJ
08-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Next should be Gradishar. If Ricky Jackson is in, Gradishar should be in too...

lookin' glass
08-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Next should be Gradishar. If Ricky Jackson is in, Gradishar should be in too...

Gradishar should have been in long before Ricky Jackson.

Hamrob
08-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Gradishar should have been in long before Ricky Jackson.Agee 200%!

Little
Gradishar
Elway

We're still waiting for that next Super Broncos Player! Now that Little's in...we need to get Gradishar in to be vindicated!

Dutch
08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Gradishar should have been in long before Ricky Jackson.

Hell, Tombstone Jackson should have been in before Ricky Jackson!

Los Broncos
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Very touching speech by Floyd, the Broncos were lucky to have him.

Porps to all you old school fans for sticking by the team.

Killericon
08-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Agee 200%!

Little
Gradishar
Elway

We're still waiting for that next Super Broncos Player! Now that Little's in...we need to get Gradishar in to be vindicated!

Zimmerman?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/09000d5d819963d2/Floyd-Little-induction-feature

Hamrob
08-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Zimmerman?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/09000d5d819963d2/Floyd-Little-induction-feature

Zimmerman played during the Elway era. Each Little, Gradishar and Elway represent 3 generations of Broncos Football. I don't believe we've had a guy since Elway that fits that mold. Little, Gradishar and Elway were all superstars and the face of the Denver Broncos during their careers. They played for only one team and that team was the Broncos.

Guys like Tombstone, DS, Atwater, Sharpe should all be in the HOF as well. Sharpe wil probably go in next...but, Gradishar was the Denver Broncos. He, like Little and Elway was the face of the franchise!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-07-2010, 10:11 PM
I still find myself scratching my head listening to Smith... I know what he's trying to say, I think...

Masturbate the ball down the feel!

Dutch
08-07-2010, 10:20 PM
and the presentation video by Marc is up at DenverBroncos.com

Floyd transcript:
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?PlayerId=292&tab=Speech

Jason7730
08-08-2010, 12:41 AM
I actually shed some tears. Boy did we need him at that place and time. A really great man.

crazyhorse
08-08-2010, 01:41 AM
Nooooooo waaaaaaaay Little belongs in the HOF.

SouthStndJunkie
08-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Floyd Little represented the Denver Broncos as well as someone can represent a team tonight.

Cito Pelon
08-08-2010, 08:39 AM
So sweet to see Mr. Little in the HOF finally. Cool to hear the comments from Roger Staubach, thanks Dutch. I think a lot of the players from that era felt the same - that Floyd's induction was long overdue.

snowspot66
08-08-2010, 10:09 AM

His stats are easily compatible or superior to the other players of his era in the Hall of Fame. There are dozens of Hall of Famers from that era on record wondering why the **** it took so long. When he retired they called him the future Hall of Famer Floyd Little.

You're being pretty dense here to avoid any historical context in regards to what Little actually acomplished.

Cito Pelon
08-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Too bad some dirtbag Chief fan has to come in and step on Floyd Little's HOF thread. That's just as no-class as one can get, and ignorant to boot.

BowlenBall
08-08-2010, 10:48 AM

Funny, I feel exactly the same way about Derrick Thomas.

Smiling Assassin27
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Props to Floyd, a great runner in ANY era and a hearty congrats to the Denver Broncos on this proud day. Those who are ignorant or who will not see withstanding, this guy belongs in Canton, plain and simple. If he plays in any town but Cowtown Denver, he likely ends up like Sayers or even Simpson--among the most electrifying backs and among the first guys every NFL fan thinks of when they consider lightning-in-a-bottle rb's.

Cito Pelon
08-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Props to Floyd, a great runner in ANY era and a hearty congrats to the Denver Broncos on this proud day. Those who are ignorant or who will not see withstanding, this guy belongs in Canton, plain and simple. If he plays in any town but Cowtown Denver, he likely ends up like Sayers or even Simpson--among the most electrifying backs and among the first guys every NFL fan thinks of when they consider lightning-in-a-bottle rb's.

That's a good way to put it.

footstepsfrom#27
08-08-2010, 11:43 AM
These two guys are long forgotten but both deserve this but I know they'll never get it...Lionel Taylor, who was the Jerry Rice of his era with a stat line that looks like he played in the 90's, and Goose Gonsoulin, who retired as the AFL's all time INT leader and started the Denver tradition of great safeties.

Cito Pelon
08-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I remember when Floyd Little was drafted, it energized the whole town. And such a class guy. As he commented in his HOF speech, he wanted to encourage kids to be the best they can be, and he did that when he was here in Denver. He always put extra effort into meeting kids and talking to them as was commented on above. He was a kind man.

Cito Pelon
08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
They're putting Floyd between Rice and Smith?? :nono:

That was kinda cool Floyd in there between the two headliners. They saved the cream of the crop until the end.

Side note, I was happy to see John Randle get in.

broncosteven
08-08-2010, 06:29 PM
I haven't read through this thread yet, not sure how many from the Mange went. We just got home an hour ago from Canton.

It was a long overdue night for Floyd and his family. Congrats Floyd and great speech!

It was really special to meet Tom before the ceremony. The thing that makes these forums great is when after trading posts and emails and getting to know people online you finally make the effort to meet in person rather than bickering and mean-spirited trolling from afar. It is easy to be a tough guy on the internet but there is nothing like a lifelong friendship being cemented by taking time to actually meet people with the same life experiences and interests.

Tom was very busy all weekend but he made the time to hunt us down inside the stadium where we got to talk and take some pictures. I knew Floyd going into the hall was going to happen but I didn't know just great Tom really was until I met him.

My wife and I really were impressed with Tom stopping other Bronco fans and taking pictures of and with them to scrap book and give to Floyd. Great idea Tom, we took a couple I think you will like to add to the collection. I saw a couple ladies who waited with us outside and motioned them over and they actually brought Tom's book with and he signed for them and posed with them as well. It was a great time and great life experience.

If you listen to Floyd's speech REALLY F'ing loud you can hear me yell "YEAAAH!" and "TOMMY" when mentioned the book he and Tom wrote. I had crappy seats up in Section 4 gg ( in case anyone else was there also) I asked Tom if he heard me but he said he was in too much shock, understandable.

It is funny the detail you miss being there in person, the 1st thing I did when we got home was sit down and eat with Floyd on the DVR. I have to find out what Jim Gray did to help get Floyd in the hall, Jim looked very moved.

I was impressed with the Rice fans sticking around after Jerry went in, I bailed after Floyd but I also have nerve damage and we had been there since 12:30 eastern. I am locked up from head to toe but it was nice to live life for once. It was a beautiful day, no humidity about 72 degrees depending where you stood. We sat by gate 3/4 for a couple hours and people watched met a few old school Bronco fans and the time went by quickly.

I would say there were a lot of 22 Jerseys then 80 but after that I was impressed with the Bronco fan turnout. We sat in a column of Bronco fans which was nice until the TeBites sat down behind us. It was funny to watch other Bronco fans get quiet and even disgusted at the Tebow jersey trio as they made their way up the steps. They seemed young but were knowledgeable Bronco fans and seemed like nice guys and I am sure they did it to support the team and celebrate the day for Bronco nation but it seemed to backfire and cast a pall across the old time fans. I will have more on Tebow later.

People really enjoyed Floyds speech and I though he and Emmit were the 2 best speakers last night. There were a lot of gasps as well as oohh's and ahh's when they showed Floyds highlights, many from Cowboy and 49er fans. Floyd has been out of football so long that his speech was more about life and being a better person/leader/role model it was very engaging and if Floyd was bitter about it taking 35 years it did not show. Ricky “Hometown” Jackson’s speech should have been taped but at least he wasn’t as long as LeBeau and he deserved to talk about growing up in his hometown being from his hometown and wanting his name on his hometown’s sign with Mel Tillis at his Hometown…..HOMETOWN!

Things that pissed me off:
1) The freaking mayor of the pothole town of Canton not mentioning Denver when he was thanking players fan bases. That dude is getting a letter. They are going to start getting a lot of Bronco fans over the next couple years but I am not sure I want to stay in the s**thole again. I didn’t talk to anyone who had a nice/decent hotel.

2) There was nearly as much Tebow gear for sale in the Merchandise tent as there was Floyd gear. They only had the one 44 Tee (I had ordered it on the internet in advance) that I could find and yet they had a couple tent banners of Tebow and his Jersey was there for sale. The dude hasn’t played a down in the NFL yet, this is the PFHOF after all though I did pass the College football HOF on the way home.

3) Coverage of the events on local news and signage to the parade and parking for Ambulatory people. They are filling up a good sized stadium but are not making appropriate accessibility. The HOF is also getting a letter, I got a lot of time...

4) Elway? Staubach, Aikman, Montana, Young were there, where was John? Willie Lanier had to be interviewed by Al Roach (while at commercial Al would interview someone involved with the player about to talk) which made sense because he played against Floyd but it would have been nice to see John there.

Sad that more from the Mane didn’t get the chance to go. Bronco Fans WERE there though and we represented and supported Floyd well. I will never forget the day in 2004 when we turned Faucett Stadium orange. That said we ran into a lot of good Bronco fans all over the place, a lot of young ones which was great to see and a lot of old timers and guys like Tom and I who grew up on Floyd’s play. It was an effort for me to get there but my lovely wife made sure we made the trip and were there for day that meant a lot to me.

PS. Thanks Meck for your help also I got to meet Becky and we had some laughs.

broncosteven
08-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Taco, I will edit Floyd's speech if you will put it at the top of the forum.

broncosteven
08-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Floyd's being interviewed live!

broncosteven
08-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Bump.

Come on people a Bronco legend just went in the hall.

broncosteven
08-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't know if there was a thread about this article but you old timers should really thank Moops for all he has done:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1172329/1/index.htm

dbfan21
08-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Toast:

To the four-four, no one has waited so long that deserved it more.

+1

Congrats Floyd!!

Meck77
08-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Got any pics?

Tombstone RJ
08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I haven't read through this thread yet, not sure how many from the Mange went. We just got home an hour ago from Canton.

It was a long overdue night for Floyd and his family. Congrats Floyd and great speech!

It was really special to meet Tom before the ceremony. The thing that makes these forums great is when after trading posts and emails and getting to know people online you finally make the effort to meet in person rather than bickering and mean-spirited trolling from afar. It is easy to be a tough guy on the internet but there is nothing like a lifelong friendship being cemented by taking time to actually meet people with the same life experiences and interests.

Tom was very busy all weekend but he made the time to hunt us down inside the stadium where we got to talk and take some pictures. I knew Floyd going into the hall was going to happen but I didn't know just great Tom really was until I met him.

My wife and I really were impressed with Tom stopping other Bronco fans and taking pictures of and with them to scrap book and give to Floyd. Great idea Tom, we took a couple I think you will like to add to the collection. I saw a couple ladies who waited with us outside and motioned them over and they actually brought Tom's book with and he signed for them and posed with them as well. It was a great time and great life experience.

If you listen to Floyd's speech REALLY F'ing loud you can hear me yell "YEAAAH!" and "TOMMY" when mentioned the book he and Tom wrote. I had crappy seats up in Section 4 gg ( in case anyone else was there also) I asked Tom if he heard me but he said he was in too much shock, understandable.

It is funny the detail you miss being there in person, the 1st thing I did when we got home was sit down and eat with Floyd on the DVR. I have to find out what Jim Gray did to help get Floyd in the hall, Jim looked very moved.

I was impressed with the Rice fans sticking around after Jerry went in, I bailed after Floyd but I also have nerve damage and we had been there since 12:30 eastern. I am locked up from head to toe but it was nice to live life for once. It was a beautiful day, no humidity about 72 degrees depending where you stood. We sat by gate 3/4 for a couple hours and people watched met a few old school Bronco fans and the time went by quickly.

I would say there were a lot of 22 Jerseys then 80 but after that I was impressed with the Bronco fan turnout. We sat in a column of Bronco fans which was nice until the TeBites sat down behind us. It was funny to watch other Bronco fans get quiet and even disgusted at the Tebow jersey trio as they made their way up the steps. They seemed young but were knowledgeable Bronco fans and seemed like nice guys and I am sure they did it to support the team and celebrate the day for Bronco nation but it seemed to backfire and cast a pall across the old time fans. I will have more on Tebow later.

People really enjoyed Floyds speech and I though he and Emmit were the 2 best speakers last night. There were a lot of gasps as well as oohh's and ahh's when they showed Floyds highlights, many from Cowboy and 49er fans. Floyd has been out of football so long that his speech was more about life and being a better person/leader/role model it was very engaging and if Floyd was bitter about it taking 35 years it did not show. Ricky “Hometown” Jackson’s speech should have been taped but at least he wasn’t as long as LeBeau and he deserved to talk about growing up in his hometown being from his hometown and wanting his name on his hometown’s sign with Mel Tillis at his Hometown…..HOMETOWN!

Things that pissed me off:
1) The freaking mayor of the pothole town of Canton not mentioning Denver when he was thanking players fan bases. That dude is getting a letter. They are going to start getting a lot of Bronco fans over the next couple years but I am not sure I want to stay in the s**thole again. I didn’t talk to anyone who had a nice/decent hotel.

2) There was nearly as much Tebow gear for sale in the Merchandise tent as there was Floyd gear. They only had the one 44 Tee (I had ordered it on the internet in advance) that I could find and yet they had a couple tent banners of Tebow and his Jersey was there for sale. The dude hasn’t played a down in the NFL yet, this is the PFHOF after all though I did pass the College football HOF on the way home.

3) Coverage of the events on local news and signage to the parade and parking for Ambulatory people. They are filling up a good sized stadium but are not making appropriate accessibility. The HOF is also getting a letter, I got a lot of time...

4) Elway? Staubach, Aikman, Montana, Young were there, where was John? Willie Lanier had to be interviewed by Al Roach (while at commercial Al would interview someone involved with the player about to talk) which made sense because he played against Floyd but it would have been nice to see John there.

Sad that more from the Mane didn’t get the chance to go. Bronco Fans WERE there though and we represented and supported Floyd well. I will never forget the day in 2004 when we turned Faucett Stadium orange. That said we ran into a lot of good Bronco fans all over the place, a lot of young ones which was great to see and a lot of old timers and guys like Tom and I who grew up on Floyd’s play. It was an effort for me to get there but my lovely wife made sure we made the trip and were there for day that meant a lot to me.

PS. Thanks Meck for your help also I got to meet Becky and we had some laughs.

Thanks for representing all of us Broncos fans who couldn't be there. Floyd Little's speech was by far the best speech of the night. It makes me feel good to know that you were there to see it in person.

broncosteven
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Got any pics?

It is going to take me awhile to download them but I have some good ones. Going to duh bears camp today with the kids and in-laws (the in-laws live in Burbonnais) so I don't have a lot of time.

Cito Pelon
08-10-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't know if there was a thread about this article but you old timers should really thank Moops for all he has done:

Oh, absolutely we do. Moops brought in a lot of support even in Denver.

It's great that Floyd has made the HOF, has that last honor.

SouthStndJunkie
08-10-2010, 07:23 AM

Excellent article.

Props on all the hard work that went in to getting Floyd inducted.

The Moops
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
It was great meeting Bronco Steven and his lovely wife. There weren't a huge number of Bronco #44s at the HOF, but the ones I saw were HUGE Floyd fans and had followed his career, game by game.

After the Hall of Fame induction speeches, I was fortunate enough to be invited to Floyd's private-after party (all the HOFers had their own pary, funded by their respected franchises). Floyd showed up exhausted, haven't slept a wink for 2 days, but he shook everyone's hand, posed for hundreds of photos with fans, friends and family. They brought his bust in and he must have stood there for over an hour, allowing each person to pose with Floyd and his bust. Notables there included Jim Gray, who idolized Floyd as a kid like me, and who called all 44 voters the day before the vote to help push Floyd over the edge. Tom Jackson was there too. He was so happy for Floyd, he had tears in his eyes. Of course, Billy Thompson, Floyd's best friend, was there and couldn't stop grinning. HOFers like Dave Wilcox stopped by and John Mackey's lovely wife was there. A stunning woman who used to model in the 1960s.

Floyd got up, took the microphone and was effusive in his heart-felt thanks to all who came. As tired as he was, he stayed till every person had posed with him and every fan had a key memento signed.

I spent the last hour of the party sitting in a corner, exhausted too, watching Floyd continued to be embraced by the whole crowd.

Los Broncos
08-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I didn't know Jim Gray helped Little get into the hall.

Seems like he had a hard time holding back the tears.

Just cant get over the speech he gave, I felt moved by it even tho I never seen him play one snap.

Chris
08-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Here is a video of the speech

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/09000d5d81998a6a/Floyd-Little-HOF-speech

Dutch
08-10-2010, 12:03 PM
for all of the effort and emotional investment you and the others made in this. The Gary Smith article in SI was a fantastic story (that someone in Hollyweird would do well to adapt) that highlighted the struggle to get this done so well. I'm so pleased you had the chance to be there with Floyd and his family to enjoy the fruit of the labor. I knew TJ would be thrilled. He was busting with pride the whole evening. What a great event. Thanks again, you are a hero to many of us for helping Floyd get in.

broncosteven
08-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Here is a video of the speech

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/09000d5d81998a6a/Floyd-Little-HOF-speech

This needs to be on the top of the forum.

broncosteven
08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
It was great meeting Bronco Steven and his lovely wife. There weren't a huge number of Bronco #44s at the HOF, but the ones I saw were HUGE Floyd fans and had followed his career, game by game.

After the Hall of Fame induction speeches, I was fortunate enough to be invited to Floyd's private-after party (all the HOFers had their own pary, funded by their respected franchises). Floyd showed up exhausted, haven't slept a wink for 2 days, but he shook everyone's hand, posed for hundreds of photos with fans, friends and family. They brought his bust in and he must have stood there for over an hour, allowing each person to pose with Floyd and his bust. Notables there included Jim Gray, who idolized Floyd as a kid like me, and who called all 44 voters the day before the vote to help push Floyd over the edge. Tom Jackson was there too. He was so happy for Floyd, he had tears in his eyes. Of course, Billy Thompson, Floyd's best friend, was there and couldn't stop grinning. HOFers like Dave Wilcox stopped by and John Mackey's lovely wife was there. A stunning woman who used to model in the 1960s.

Floyd got up, took the microphone and was effusive in his heart-felt thanks to all who came. As tired as he was, he stayed till every person had posed with him and every fan had a key memento signed.

I spent the last hour of the party sitting in a corner, exhausted too, watching Floyd continued to be embraced by the whole crowd.

Tom,

Do you have a copy of the broadcast interviews you did Saturday? My DVR didn't record the Pre-enshrinement coverage though I thought i set it up.

Steve

The Moops
08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Steven, a friend of mine says he got my nfl network interview on tape so he will hopefully make some copies . . .

The Moops
08-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Btw, does anyone have that Staubach quote about Floyd on video?

Or at the least, the entire quote?

Thx.

Cito Pelon
08-11-2010, 11:48 AM
for all of the effort and emotional investment you and the others made in this. The Gary Smith article in SI was a fantastic story (that someone in Hollyweird would do well to adapt) that highlighted the struggle to get this done so well. I'm so pleased you had the chance to be there with Floyd and his family to enjoy the fruit of the labor. I knew TJ would be thrilled. He was busting with pride the whole evening. What a great event. Thanks again, you are a hero to many of us for helping Floyd get in.

Agreed.

The Moops
08-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys! I think it was a total team effort.

Now Floyd is finally immortalized!

Dutch
08-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Tom,

Do you have a copy of the broadcast interviews you did Saturday? My DVR didn't record the Pre-enshrinement coverage though I thought i set it up.

Steve

Btw, does anyone have that Staubach quote about Floyd on video?

Or at the least, the entire quote?

Thx.

Weird. Same problem with my DVR as for the pre-ceremony coverage. Not the first time in the last couple of weeks that I have had that problem (MotoGP Qualifying from Laguna Seca a couple of weeks ago did the same thing to me...recorded it, two days later...gone). My Younger Brother has it on his DVR and I will try to get the quotes from Roger Staubach for you, Tom. He isn't too reliable right now, so it may take a bit. Steve, I'll see if I can get him to make a copy. He is set up for it, but again...lot of noise in his world right now...might take a bit.

TomServo
08-14-2010, 02:31 AM
Floyds speech was tear inducing. but i will never ever set foot in that sham in ohio. pro football or rock and roll.

broncosteven
08-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Floyds speech was tear inducing. but i will never ever set foot in that sham in ohio. pro football or rock and roll.

I think I am done for a long, long time. If my son wants to take me when he is old enough then I will go but unless you buy the VIP package it is not worth the time.

Hogan11
08-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I think I am done for a long, long time. If my son wants to take me when he is old enough then I will go but unless you buy the VIP package it is not worth the time.

Is that correct? I've avoided the place for years because Floyd wasn't in it. Now that he is, I have no reservations about going again. Sass has never been, so I thought it may be a cool spring trip type of thing for us to do.

It's been so long for me, that'll be practically a new thing for the both of us.

broncosteven
08-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Is that correct? I've avoided the place for years because Floyd wasn't in it. Now that he is, I have no reservations about going again. Sass has never been, so I thought it may be a cool spring trip type of thing for us to do.

It's been so long for me, that'll be practically a new thing for the both of us.

If I drive by on the way to somewhere else I have no problem stopping in but I am not going back for another induction weekend for a very long time.

Hogan11
08-14-2010, 01:11 PM
If I drive by on the way to somewhere else I have no problem stopping in but I am not going back for another induction weekend for a very long time.

Ah gotcha. That's what it'd be.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2010, 02:10 PM
I went for Elway's induction and it was cool to be there, but the Hall of Fame itself is overrated and I would never go out of my way to make a trip there outside of another induction that I want to be there for.

There is so much more the Hall of Fame could do to make it more interesting and interactive.

broncosteven
08-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I went for Elway's induction and it was cool to be there, but the Hall of Fame itself is overrated and I would never go out of my way to make a trip there outside of another induction that I want to be there for.

There is so much more the Hall of Fame could do to make it more interesting and interactive.

I agree, what I realized this last trip is that if you are not shelling out $1600+ for a VIP treatment you are scum. Everything is geared toward the VIP's.

Canton and the Akron area has nothing as far as destination experiences outside the rather small HOF. The fact that it is right in the middle of a residental area does not help accessibilty.

If I were the NFL I would either build new facilities in Canton or move it to a somewhere else. Who cares that the Canton Bulldogs once were in the NFL. Move it to a place like Green Bay or Chicago where an Original team is still playing. Canton is a **** hole and they almost make it impossible to know what is going on.

SouthStndJunkie
08-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I agree, what I realized this last trip is that if you are not shelling out $1600+ for a VIP treatment you are scum. Everything is geared toward the VIP's.

Canton and the Akron area has nothing as far as destination experiences outside the rather small HOF. The fact that it is right in the middle of a residental area does not help accessibilty.

If I were the NFL I would either build new facilities in Canton or move it to a somewhere else. Who cares that the Canton Bulldogs once were in the NFL. Move it to a place like Green Bay or Chicago where an Original team is still playing. Canton is a **** hole and they almost make it impossible to know what is going on.

The Hall of Fame belongs in Canton, but they need to make it more of a destination attraction. Football is insanely popular, there is so much potential there to expand it. As it is now, I could see everything there and be ready to go in 2 hours.

broncosteven
08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
The Hall of Fame belongs in Canton, but they need to make it more of a destination attraction. Football is insanely popular, there is so much potential there to expand it. As it is now, I could see everything there and be ready to go in 2 hours.

I concur.