PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while since I've liked Greek.

Mogulseeker
08-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Don't you think after all the snakebitten seasons we've had, and the ridiculously long tenure that Greek has had, it's just time for us to part way and get a newer, fresher trainer with a new perspective?

Normally when something doesn't work, people don't keep going with it for decades.

Taco John
08-06-2010, 03:44 PM
If Greek continues tearing people's muscles, and tweaking their hamstrings, he's going to have to go.

tsiguy96
08-06-2010, 03:44 PM
in my experience, a trainer is a trainer, all they do is bring people back from injury and rehab. we dont have issues with guys getting reinjured or guys having the same injuries over and over, we have issues with guys not getting hurt in the first place or falling in teh second half of the season.

Chris
08-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't really know much about player conditioning but from an outsider's perspective big injuries every year = get a new trainer.

Kaylore
08-06-2010, 03:50 PM
If Greek continues tearing people's muscles, and tweaking their hamstrings, he's going to have to go.

Greek was guarding Clady in pickup basketball.

Also, this is how I roll everyDAY!

http://blogs.pointradio.com/files/2010/06/jorts.jpg

PRBronco
08-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I've never understood blaming the training staff for injuries. Maybe I'm giving the players too much credit as far as knowing how to warm up and stretch regularly. Seriously though, that's ****ing grade 8 PE.

tsiguy96
08-06-2010, 03:52 PM
I've never understood blaming the training staff for injuries. Maybe I'm giving the players too much credit as far as knowing how to warm up and stretch regularly. Seriously though, that's ****ing grade 8 PE.

double

tsiguy96
08-06-2010, 03:53 PM

college and pro football is NOTHING, absolutely nothing like grade 8 PE. warmups are far more advanced than toe touches and shoulder swings, those dont do ****. now if the broncos are doing everything that players should be doing i dont know, but i imagine they are, and it just happens, which is the case in most situations, it just happens.

PRBronco
08-06-2010, 03:53 PM
college and pro football is NOTHING, absolutely nothing like grade 8 PE. warmups are far more advanced than toe touches and shoulder swings, those dont do ****. are the broncos doing a

:giggle: I think I hyperboled a bit too much.

tsiguy96
08-06-2010, 03:56 PM
:giggle: I think I hyperboled a bit too much.

just letting you know, practices are not just players doing toe touches, its led by either other players or in college situations, coaches, its normally done to a cadence and is very comprehensive. injuries just happen, its part of the game.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Thought this was going to be an anal sex thread.

Mogulseeker
08-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't really know much about player conditioning but from an outsider's perspective big injuries every year = get a new trainer.

That's what I'm saying.

Mogulseeker
08-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Just for the record, when Broncos players say "Greek" they are almost always referring to the Broncos' athletic trainer, Steve Antonopulos, who can always be seen on the sidelines in his white Broncos polo and his jean shorts.

Jason in LA
08-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Everybody is looking for a fall guy.

Chris
08-06-2010, 04:52 PM
http://seriesedesenhos.com/br/images/stories/The%20Fall%20Guy.jpg

Mogulseeker
08-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Everybody is looking for a fall guy.

I'm just saying keeping a guy on that long is not without its setbacks. Players change. And when you have a guy whose job it is to make sure that players are in the right physical condition to avoid injury, and players drop like flies, it seems like he would HAVE to be the fall guy.

It's happened every year since 1999 - some important player goes out for the season. That isn't normal.

worm
08-06-2010, 05:12 PM
I would like to see him gone.

However, I blame him more for the Cutler diabetes fiasco and the Marshal hip mitigation plan than for the possibility of any player getting intially injured.

watermock
08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Out: Sundquist, Nolan, Turner,Dennison, the Goodmans.

Staying: Wink, Tuten and the Greek as holdovers.

Nepotism: Butthead.

TheReverend
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM

However, I blame him more for the Cutler diabetes fiasco and the Marshal hip mitigation plan than for the possibility of any player getting intially injured.

^

TheReverend
08-06-2010, 06:02 PM

what?

2KBack
08-06-2010, 06:44 PM

I don't. Cutler himself admitted that they tried to get him to come in for blood tests and kept blowing it off.

Taco John
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Greek was guarding Clady in pickup basketball.

Also, this is how I roll everyDAY!

http://blogs.pointradio.com/files/2010/06/jorts.jpg

You can go run and tell that, homeboy...

Hulamau
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
what?

YEAH ... What???

LongDongJohnson
08-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm just saying keeping a guy on that long is not without its setbacks. Players change. And when you have a guy whose job it is to make sure that players are in the right physical condition to avoid injury, and players drop like flies, it seems like he would HAVE to be the fall guy.

It's happened every year since 1999 - some important player goes out for the season. That isn't normal.

it is normal.

how many teams in the NFL go injury free? zero.

last year we had almost no injuries. but greek was our trainer.
2005 we had almost no injuries. but greek was our trainer.

how is that possible then? if greek isnt doing his job, then why did we suffer minimum injuries last season? injuries are all about luck. most injuries occur during fluke plays.

missingnumber7
08-06-2010, 07:50 PM
i find it hilarious when people try to blame players and coaches for the injuries that are suffered during the game...why not blame the players for not being in better shape or better yet, why not blame the fans for putting pressure on the players and coaches to be the best team in the league and making them practice so hard...so its all your fault.

BroncoMan4ever
08-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Don't you think after all the snakebitten seasons we've had, and the ridiculously long tenure that Greek has had, it's just time for us to part way and get a newer, fresher trainer with a new perspective?

Normally when something doesn't work, people don't keep going with it for decades.

i agree, i have been calling for him to get the axe for years now, because we seemingly deal with injuries every single year. i can pinpoint to when i wanted Greek gone to when like 10 guys came up gimpy because of pulled groins.

tsiguy96
08-06-2010, 08:30 PM
you guys understand the athletic trainer has zero to do with any sort of warmup, flexibility training, strength or anything else right? that falls on the strength and other coaches. he fixes injuries after the fact, as well as preventative stuff like taped ankles and knees etc.

SoCalBronco
08-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Greek's been pretty bad for awhile, now. He's holding on based on the fact that he's a good ol' boy from back in the day. I've heard some less than awesome things about Greek. It's definitely time to get someone with fresh and creative ideas about training and injury prevention.

Seriously, some of us have been complaining about this for awhile. One can only take so much "we did our homework here, we checked Willie out and Greek says he's good to go".

He's an institution in Broncos history, but at some point you gotta give the guy a one way bus ticket to Myrtle Beach.

ColoradoDarin
08-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Greek? Probably not, but I don't care one way or the other. He's not to blame for the injuries, he deals with the players after.

Tuten? Yeah, I think he could go. I did like the idea of bringing in Romo for S&C coach.

skunk
08-06-2010, 08:51 PM
those ****ing idiot trainers and coaches they should ****ing pay for this horse**** - its their fault that every one is injured and breaking the thing and dying and cancerous put these sorry pieces of SH** out of their fracking misery before they infect the whole frajklkk en team ewith this caruud !! lkill it with fire firom orbiut!!! NUKE THE BASTARDS!!!!

listopencil
08-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Rub some dirt on it.

Rohirrim
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
rub some dirt on it.

Hilarious!

Chris
08-06-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.healthsquare.com/common/images/e/ETX09260_94187_5.JPG

Taco John
08-06-2010, 11:23 PM
For my part, I was being facetious. I can't imagine that the guy who is treating the injuries is the one that's causing them.

Steve Sewell
08-06-2010, 11:27 PM

So you want the Broncos to fire Greek because...he's bad luck?

Mogulseeker
08-06-2010, 11:44 PM
i find it hilarious when people try to blame players and coaches for the injuries that are suffered during the game...why not blame the players for not being in better shape or better yet, why not blame the fans for putting pressure on the players and coaches to be the best team in the league and making them practice so hard...so its all your fault.

LOL That's my point. It's the trainers (Greeks) job to make sure the players are in playing shape.

Mogulseeker
08-06-2010, 11:48 PM
People are jumping to conclusions... I'm not placing the injuries soley on Greek... but... it's... every.... year.

It goes back to 1999. Last year is was Orton (fluke play I'll give you that), Clady... the year before it was handling Marshall.

I'm not sure how I feel about Tuten though.

broncocalijohn
08-06-2010, 11:53 PM

Only if Kenny gets a hold of it. Or Blart. While BMarsh had some issues with our staff, I dont think the injuries should be put on the trainer unless there was something said or told to do that caused the player to be injured.

That One Guy
08-07-2010, 12:23 AM
In my very limited experience (I know much more about BBQ than professional sports fitness), there always seems to be a high injury rate amongst those trying to change their body. Be it that they push themselves too hard, alter their mass in ways the body and their muscle movements aren't used to, etc. I don't know but it seems quite common.

The fluke issues like Orton busting his hand last year are quite silly to blame on anyone.

I had heard in reports here how much quicker both Knowshon and Doom were looking this year. No idea on the reality of it all but I can recall over the years quite a few occasions when someone tries something new with their body and it just doesn't work.

Boobs McGee
08-07-2010, 12:39 AM
i agree, i have been calling for him to get the axe for years now, because we seemingly deal with injuries every single year. i can pinpoint to when i wanted Greek gone to when like 10 guys came up gimpy because of pulled groins.

I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHO THAT SEXY PIECE OF ACE IN YOUR AVVY IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

momentous occasion for me.

anywho, onward with the thread

Wes Mantooth
08-07-2010, 02:15 AM
LOL That's my point. It's the trainers (Greeks) job to make sure the players are in playing shape.

Umm, no its actually NOT his job to keep players in shape. His team rehabs players suffering from injuries.

He does not put together a conditioning regimine for the team, that is the strength and conditioning coach (keyword coach).

In addition, he is the HEAD trainer. He has several professionals that work for him including three additional trainers and three doctors. You make it sound as though he is a one man-band that runs the whole operation.

You go to DU. This should not be so hard.

tsiguy96
08-07-2010, 06:02 AM
i still fail to get how its greeks fault when he doesnt treat players until AFTER they are injured...please learn what you are talking about before calling for peoples heads

Beantown Bronco
08-07-2010, 07:14 AM
i still fail to get how its greeks fault when he doesnt treat players until AFTER they are injured...please learn what you are talking about before calling for peoples heads

This. At least a few here seem to get it, but it scares me how many don't. This is elementary stuff.

Do you guys blame your doctor when you get sick? No. Because he's the person you go to AFTER you get sick to get better.

The Greek has ZERO to do with these injuries. ZERO. This is really not even debatable.

montrose
08-07-2010, 08:39 AM
While Greek doesn't have anything to do with the injuries, he's very incompetent. First, ready Stephan Fastis' book and tell me what you think of Greek. Then remember Olandis Gary playing on a torn ACL, Cutler not being diagnosed for a year and Marshall's poor treatment on his hip.

Greek needs to go.

Man-Goblin
08-07-2010, 09:23 AM
I used to know a girl from Palm Beach that swears Greek cured the pain she had from a high school tailbone injury.

Jason in LA
08-07-2010, 09:47 AM
injuries are all about luck. most injuries occur during fluke plays.

I totally agree with that.

Jason in LA
08-07-2010, 09:53 AM
For my part, I was being facetious. I can't imagine that the guy who is treating the injuries is the one that's causing them.

Wait, that's like a shady auto mechanic. He breaks things just so you have to come back. ;D

Jason in LA
08-07-2010, 09:55 AM
This. At least a few here seem to get it, but it scares me how many don't. This is elementary stuff.

Do you guys blame your doctor when you get sick? No. Because he's the person you go to AFTER you get sick to get better.

The Greek has ZERO to do with these injuries. ZERO. This is really not even debatable.

Yep, like I said, people are looking for a fall guy.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Just think... a medical malpractice jury consists of twelve people who would make MightySmurf look smart.

dsmoot
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM

If you admittedly don't know much then don't follow it up with a stupid, uneducated conclusion. This is a dumb as the LenDale White thread.

dsmoot
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM
While Greek doesn't have anything to do with the injuries, he's very incompetent. First, ready Stephan Fastis' book and tell me what you think of Greek. Then remember Olandis Gary playing on a torn ACL, Cutler not being diagnosed for a year and Marshall's poor treatment on his hip.

Greek needs to go.

Are there no doctors on staff? Are you telling me the Fastis' book comes right out and says that Greek made the only diagnosis and no follow up MRI's were not done on Gary or Marshall. Are you also stating that he should have caught Cutler's diabetes. I went from being non-diabetic to diabetic in about 2 months time when the symptoms surfaced even with annual recommended blood testing.. I guess the Greek should have been standing in the doorway ready to draw blood once a month just so he can catch those in transition.

I can guarantee one thing in professional sports, there is little loyalty if you aren't capably doing your job. Maybe it's Greek that had all those Shanahan pictures everyone talked about. He must have shared them with McGriff and Nate Jackson.

dsmoot
08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
People are jumping to conclusions... I'm not placing the injuries soley on Greek... but... it's... every.... year.

It goes back to 1999. Last year is was Orton (fluke play I'll give you that), Clady... the year before it was handling Marshall.

I'm not sure how I feel about Tuten though.

Not solely??? you guys are absolutely off your rocker. A trainer treats injuries, he is not responsible for their conditioning nor their general health. He certainly can give advice to the obvious conditions that exist not the ones that will happen tomorrow in practice. I can't wait until we start playing some preseason games so people can get their focus on something tangible.

TheReverend
08-07-2010, 12:55 PM
He's Greek. Of course he's a failure.

Malcontent
08-07-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.healthsquare.com/common/images/e/ETX09260_94187_5.JPG

Hilarious! You actually found a pic of this somewhere?? You are an internet master!!!

Tom G
08-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I want to address just muscle pulls.

Don't laugh, but I think something from ballet could be useful here.

Professional ballet dancers spend a huge amount of time and energy stretching. They almost never pull a muscle dancing despite the fantastic contortions they subject their bodies to.

Two major differences, tho, between NFLers and ballet dancers: contact and bulk, so maybe I'm all wet. Obviously contact doesn't apply to dancers, (even tho Lombardi opined that dancing was a contact sport but football was a collision sport). Ballet dancers are in incredible shape but are very lean, all muscle with near zero body fat. Bulk is undesirable.

It's the opposite with football players. But I wonder if muscle pulls could be mitigated with a major increase in daily stretching, like at least an hour a day, maybe via Pilates, like ballet dancers do? My impression is that NFLers just don't take stretching seriously and that could be a contributor to these chronic non contact muscle pulls.

Just askin'.

Malcontent
08-07-2010, 01:46 PM

Professional ballet dancers spend a huge amount of time and energy stretching. They almost never pull a muscle dancing despite the fantastic contortions they subject their bodies to.

Two major differences, tho, between NFLers and ballet dancers: contact and bulk, so maybe I'm all wet. Obviously contact doesn't apply to dancers, (even tho Lombardi opined that dancing was a contact sport but football was a collision sport). Ballet dancers are in incredible shape but are very lean, all muscle with near zero body fat. Bulk is undesirable.

It's the opposite with football players. But I wonder if muscle pulls could be mitigated with a major increase in daily stretching, like at least an hour a day, maybe via Pilates, like ballet dancers do? My impression is that NFLers just don't take stretching seriously and that could be a contributor to these chronic non contact muscle pulls.

Just askin'.

Force= Mass x Accelleration...something that ballet dancers do not have to deal with.

Tom G
08-07-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm not referring to injuries via contact. I'm addressing muscle pulls from cuts etc without contact; e.g. Moreno.

Abqbronco
08-07-2010, 02:22 PM

This... Says everything...

Butthead indeed!

HAT
08-07-2010, 02:23 PM
He's Greek. Of course he's a failure.

Paging CBF1. :poke:

Mogulseeker
08-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Just think... a medical malpractice jury consists of twelve people who would make MightySmurf look smart.

But I bet you they're smart enough to realize that I wasn't putting all the blame on Greek, rather postulating that we could benefit from a fresher face at trainer.

I made it clear in several of my posts that Tuten is more involved in the strength and conditioning aspect than the trainer, BUT the trainer is the main advisor to the players for injury prevention.

When I played football at Dakota Ridge, our trainer wasn't the lead guy for stretching and stuff like that, but he was involved and even advised the coaches on it. He was also in charge of making sure the players had the right taping/padding/etc. His name was Larry Franca and he spent several years as the Nuggets trainer.

Mogulseeker
08-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Force= Mass x Accelleration...something that ballet dancers do not have to deal with.

Except most of the injuries the Broncos have suffered so far are non-contact injuries suffered in drills.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-07-2010, 08:54 PM
But I bet you they're smart enough to realize that I wasn't putting all the blame on Greek, rather postulating that we could benefit from a fresher face at trainer.

I made it clear in several of my posts that Tuten is more involved in the strength and conditioning aspect than the trainer, BUT the trainer is the main advisor to the players for injury prevention.

When I played football at Dakota Ridge, our trainer wasn't the lead guy for stretching and stuff like that, but he was involved and even advised the coaches on it. He was also in charge of making sure the players had the right taping/padding/etc. His name was Larry Franca and he spent several years as the Nuggets trainer.

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/cool_story_bro2.jpg

gyldenlove
08-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Just askin'.

Some people have been trying to implement yoga techniques in terms of stretching and increasing muscle flexibility, I am not sure how effective it is though.

The real problem comes down to the extreme force the body of a player is under during fast movement combined with the inhomogeneity of the playing surface which causes a lot of torque on some joints which is ultimately what causes many of these non-contact sprains and tears.

Missouribronc
08-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Man. I so wish you were in charge.

You so smart.

broncobum6162
08-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Ohhhhhhhhh... So we are talking about football! Had me wondering too. People need to pay attention to the wording on their titles......

Beantown Bronco
08-08-2010, 08:15 AM

Assuming Dakota Ridge and the NFL have the exact same structure when it comes to their training staff would be a huge mistake.

There is zero evidence in anything I've ever seen to indicate that Greek is the main advisor to the Broncos players for injury prevention.

elsid13
08-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Flexibility has never been given the emphases that it deserves in western sports. At all levels of training for sports you see the same thing. A five to ten "warm-up" period at begin of training when bodies aren't ready, the training period and maybe if have good trainer, a 10 to 15 minute period of stretching at end. Most of the time when training is done, folks scatter to hit the showers and relax because they are beat, but that when you need flexibility training period to keep your muscles healthy. Never, never in training cycle to you have set of flexibility sets in the middle of workout. It either running, lifting or intervals. The best Western sport that does incorporate flexibility sets in training is MMA, and that because of the eastern influence of judo, Jiu Jitsu and greco-roman wrestling.

And the post about mass means no flexibility is BS. It just means that athletes aren't be trained to right.

montrose
08-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Are there no doctors on staff? Are you telling me the Fastis' book comes right out and says that Greek made the only diagnosis and no follow up MRI's were not done on Gary or Marshall. Are you also stating that he should have caught Cutler's diabetes. I went from being non-diabetic to diabetic in about 2 months time when the symptoms surfaced even with annual recommended blood testing.. I guess the Greek should have been standing in the doorway ready to draw blood once a month just so he can catch those in transition.

Fastis' book has more than one example of Greek completely misdiagnosing major injuries, including an ACL. Gary obviously was followed up on as the ACL that Greek didn't think was torn, was torn the next day. IMO, we can thank the fact Marshall is in Miami as much to Greek as any other member of the organization seeing Marshall said Greek told him his hip was fine and he comes to find out it's torn. BM never appeared to get completely over that, and I don't blame him. Cutler lost nearly 30 freaking pounds and Greek chalked it up to stress. Stress!? I'm sure Greek's a nice enough guy but I'd like to see an upgrade at that position.

tsiguy96
08-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Flexibility has never been given the emphases that it deserves in western sports. At all levels of training for sports you see the same thing. A five to ten "warm-up" period at begin of training when bodies aren't ready, the training period and maybe if have good trainer, a 10 to 15 minute period of stretching at end. Most of the time when training is done, folks scatter to hit the showers and relax because they are beat, but that when you need flexibility training period to keep your muscles healthy. Never, never in training cycle to you have set of flexibility sets in the middle of workout. It either running, lifting or intervals. The best Western sport that does incorporate flexibility sets in training is MMA, and that because of the eastern influence of judo, Jiu Jitsu and greco-roman wrestling.

And the post about mass means no flexibility is BS. It just means that athletes aren't be trained to right.

the top collegiate settings (aka the ones who have 4-6 dedicated football strength professionals) warm up periods are typically 30-40 minutes, though they include soft tissue care, mobility, flexibility, activation, as well as general warmup and fast foot procedures.

Rascal
08-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Fox 31s Josina Anderson reports that Broncos WR Eric Decker suffered a left foot sprain, not left ankle sprain like previously speculated.

Anderson also reports that a pre-MRI detected evidence of a previously existing high ankle sprain. In short, when Decker went down yesterday doctors found both a pre-existing high ankle sprain in addition to a left foot sprain. What does this all mean? If the MRI confirms aggravation of Decker's previous Lisfranc fracture he'll be looking at missing extended time. Any way you cut it things don't look good for Decker.

What the **** is Greek doing? Decker is out there high ankle sprain and they didn't even ****ing know it.

SoCalBronco
08-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Fox 31s Josina Anderson reports that Broncos WR Eric Decker suffered a left foot sprain, not left ankle sprain like previously speculated.

Anderson also reports that a pre-MRI detected evidence of a previously existing high ankle sprain. In short, when Decker went down yesterday doctors found both a pre-existing high ankle sprain in addition to a left foot sprain. What does this all mean? If the MRI confirms aggravation of Decker's previous Lisfranc fracture he'll be looking at missing extended time. Any way you cut it things don't look good for Decker.

What the **** is Greek doing? Decker is out there high ankle sprain and they didn't even ****ing know it.

A high ankle sprain is one of the most nagging injuries you can ever have.

I'm glad that Greek was allowing this kid to play on a high ankle sprain. Jeez.

http://www.rockymountainfootball.com/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/facepalm.gif

Dr. Broncenstein
08-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Last time I checked, Greek was not a physician. Therefore he doesn't diagnose shiat.

broncosteven
08-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Greek's been pretty bad for awhile, now. He's holding on based on the fact that he's a good ol' boy from back in the day. I've heard some less than awesome things about Greek. It's definitely time to get someone with fresh and creative ideas about training and injury prevention.

Seriously, some of us have been complaining about this for awhile. One can only take so much "we did our homework here, we checked Willie out and Greek says he's good to go".

He's an institution in Broncos history, but at some point you gotta give the guy a one way bus ticket to Myrtle Beach.

I would have thought last year or the start of this year would have been a good time to cut ties. Sure he has done a lot over many years but now that we have a 35 year old HC bringing his hometown (Ricky HOMETOWN Jackson) guys in I would have liked to see new blood in the trainer and S/C positions.

Maybe having someone closer to the players age would be better at communicating to these guys whatever their treatment/prevention is and how they should get it done.

How are todays players supposed to relate to an old fat dude?

As far as Tuten, this team has FADED the last 3 straight years he needs to be accountable for guys being gassed late in the season.

montrose
08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Last time I checked, Greek was not a physician. Therefore he doesn't diagnose shiat.

According to Fastis' book, he diagnosis' everything. There was one example of a player in a preseason game who hurt his knee, Greek administered some type of test to him and told him he was fine and could go back in the game. The next day it was learned he had a torn ACL.

Based on accounts from those covering the team, when a player is injured during a game of practice - it is Greek and Greek alone who diagnosis' them and reports to the HC. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to go down, but that's how it does.

Dr. Broncenstein
08-08-2010, 08:58 PM
According to Fastis' book, he diagnosis' everything. There was one example of a player in a preseason game who hurt his knee, Greek administered some type of test to him and told him he was fine and could go back in the game. The next day it was learned he had a torn ACL.

Based on accounts from those covering the team, when a player is injured during a game of practice - it is Greek and Greek alone who diagnosis' them and reports to the HC. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to go down, but that's how it does.

He can't diagnose anything because it's against the law for him to do so. He might be able to give an educated guess, but ultimately the liability falls on the actual medical staff. There are two orthopaedic surgeons on the medical staff last time I checked.

montrose
08-08-2010, 09:15 PM
He can't diagnose anything because it's against the law for him to do so. He might be able to give an educated guess, but ultimately the liability falls on the actual medical staff. There are two orthopaedic surgeons on the medical staff last time I checked.

Could it be that the team goes with his educated guess on gameday and at practices until the physicans get hold of the player?

Dr. Broncenstein
08-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Could it be that the team goes with his educated guess on gameday and at practices until the physicans get hold of the player?

I would think that there would be staff physicians on the field at all times, but I don't know for sure.

FireFly
08-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I simply think that after a while everyone needs to move on and posistions need to be filled with people that have fresh ideas. I DO NOT blame him for the injuries. But someone with the right qualifications, experience and fresh ideas is not going to be a bad thing.

It might also be good for Greek himself to move on, start somewhere new. It's all too easy to get comfortable, stuck in a rut and go stale.

Mogulseeker
08-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I would think that there would be staff physicians on the field at all times, but I don't know for sure.

Someone posted a video a while back with Stafford micd up and he took himself out on the play and had to fight off several guys in Lions Polos to go back on the field... in the press conference afterwards, the coach said "He had to fight several of our team Doctors to get out on the the next play."

Beantown Bronco
08-09-2010, 07:19 AM
According to Fastis' book

That's where I stopped reading.

The sooner people realize that his book is just as much fiction as non-fiction, if not moreso, the sooner we can all move on.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-09-2010, 07:39 AM
That's where I stopped reading.

The sooner people realize that his book is just as much fiction as non-fiction, if not moreso, the sooner we can all move on.

Wow. Do you have anything at all to base this on?

Beantown Bronco
08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Wow. Do you have anything at all to base this on?

Yup. And some of us here went through it at length when it first came out. A great deal of the narrative about his relationships with certain players on the team and the access he was given by certain people within the organization clearly shaped what he wrote and how he wrote it. The bias in favor of and against certain people is pretty clear in his writing.

Garcia Bronco
08-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I have said it beofre and I'll say it again...these guys do not drink enough water at this altitude.

Beantown Bronco
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I have said it beofre and I'll say it again...these guys do not drink enough water at this altitude.

Kyle Orton would argue that there's plenty of water in beer.

Dagmar
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM

Butthead indeed!

You quoted watermock on an argument. Time to retire from the internets....

elsid13
08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Kyle Orton would argue that there's plenty of water in beer.

Only if he drinking Coors.

OBF1
08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I thought this was going to be a sheep or man on man love thread.... just saying

Rabb
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Butthead indeed!

you aren't allergic to peanut butter by chance are you?