PDA

View Full Version : The Bills released Aaron Schobel

HEAV
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
The Bills released Aaron Schobel Wednesday, officially making the nine-year veteran a free agent.

Schobel had yet to show up for Bills training camp. Hed been contemplating retirement since the end of last season, and had yet to decide whether or not he wanted to continue his career in Buffalo.

"If he chooses to retire, he will do so as a Buffalo Bill," Bills GM Buddy Nix said. "This move allows him the opportunity to play somewhere else if he so chooses. And we felt that was a fair thing to do for a guy who has played hard for us the past nine seasons."

The situation up in Buffalo could lead any veteran player to contemplate retirement, especially one who signed a seven year contract extension in April of 2007.

Basically, his choice was to put his body through torture for a few more season in a losing situation up in Buffalo or retire. The Bills have changed his options by releasing him. Now can retire, or come back and play for a competitor.

At 32 years of age, Schobel can still play and play at a high level. He finished the 2009 season with 10 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, an interception, and a touchdown. Over his nine-year career Schobel has piled up 78 sacks and 19 forced fumbles.
-----------------

Get it done!

Cito Pelon
08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Definitely will be interesting to see what happens.

Slade
08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I know he is a smaller DE... and he replace Doom?

Smiling Assassin27
08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
He doesn't seem to have the fire. Pass.

2KBack
08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
some posted in another thread that he doesn't want to play linebacker

Br0nc0Buster
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
hes not a good fit for OLB
and he doesnt want play it anyways

pass

gyldenlove
08-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Considering he didn't want to play 3-4 for the Bills, why would he do it here?

HEAV
08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Patriots are talking to his agent about joining them as a OLB.

s0phr0syne
08-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Considering he didn't want to play 3-4 for the Bills, why would he do it here?

Don't know if the issue was that or if it's more the fact that the Bills have been perpetually rebuilding his entire career.

The signs were there since the offseason began that he didn't want to really be a Bill, but since he was under contract there was only so much he could do.

Sounds like he's either considering the Texans (who are pseudo-contenders) b/c of the hometown connection, or another team (media speculation points to the Pats) where he thinks there will be a chance to win an SB or at the very least not have a losing season.

I think he's still got plenty of fire and ability. Don't know if he's a solution to our OLB conundrum, but I don't think he's averse to playing a rush LB.

Lot's of "I think" in that response...

Marshall Dumervil
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Patriots are talking to his agent about joining them as a OLB.

After they sign and release him Mcd will do whatever it takes to make him a Bronco.

Steve Sewell
08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
He doesn't seem to have the fire. Pass.

Oh he has the fire, just not in Buffalo.

Rabb
08-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I guess I don't see how signing him would make us any better compared to using what we have.

enjolras
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
You don't see how a guy coming off of a 10 sack year who is well-sized for OLB in a 3-4 wouldn't help us (after losing Dumervil) ?

*edit: It looks like some of his angst in Buffalo was around moving to OLB, so maybe that's not an option.

Kaylore
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
You don't see how a guy coming off of a 10 sack year who is well-sized for OLB in a 3-4 wouldn't help us (after losing Dumervil) ?

*edit: It looks like some of his angst in Buffalo was around moving to OLB, so maybe that's not an option.

At his age with the abuse his body and mind have taken playing in Buffalo, I'm sure he's not really excited about learning a new position. He probably wants to go to a 4-3 team that will win a ring.

Rabb
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM

didn't say he wasn't talented but we have better options here in terms of what it costs us and youth

not to mention, he has made it clear he doesn't want to play in a 3-4 like you said in your edit

not worth the trouble

RonDaChamp24
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I'd rather grab Adalius Thomas.